Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

David Cameron’s maxim about Twitter proved right once again – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    Note that rhetoric now being used re: "for all his flaws" Donald Trump, echoes most faithfully what same source once gushed re: Sarah Palin.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

MJW said:

On topic, the Tories have only gone and screwed up again.
    https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1772689411475484691

The worst thing about these ads is the American voiceover.
    Not the worst thing but pretty bloody awful all the same.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,028
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You have to admire Trump for his sheer, unsquashable chutzpah

Just never gives up. Always bounces back. Proper ornery American remember-the-Alamo never-say-die irrepressiblissimo

Arse-licker.
    He’s one of the great men of our time. History will be kinder than PB
    My guess is that you are traveling and bored and seeing who you can wind up. My follow up prediction is that you will succeed in this goal.
    I got five in one go. @kamski @tse @kjh @logical_song and possibly @Sunil_Prasannan

Not bad!
    And hence, your value to PB goes negative.

Again. :)
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Wragg trying another motion to get Hoyle referred to the privileges committee

58 signatories on it already, sponsored by Old Lady Brady, Stephen Flynn and Liz Saville Roberts.

Coates of Sky Says 'source tells me a difficult Easter for the speaker'
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632

MJW said:

I think the badness is deliberate - insinuate it into the minds of the electorate, like an earworm. Then hope that 10% of the message lingers, which it might. It’s from the Cummings playbook.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Note that rhetoric now being used re: "for all his flaws" Donald Trump, echoes most faithfully what same source once gushed re: Sarah Palin.

And Liz Truss.

Sad.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,819

. . . multiple Lines of Discredit . . .

AP (via Seattle Times) - Trump is selling ‘God Bless the USA’ Bibles for $59.99 as he faces mounting legal bills

Former President Donald Trump is now selling Bibles as he runs to return to the White House.

Trump, who became the presumptive Republican nominee earlier this month, released a video on his Truth Social platform on Tuesday urging his supporters to buy the “God Bless the USA Bible,” which is inspired by country singer Lee Greenwood’s patriotic ballad. Trump takes the stage to the song at each of his rallies and has appeared with Greenwood at events.

“Happy Holy Week! Let’s Make America Pray Again. As we lead into Good Friday and Easter, I encourage you to get a copy of the God Bless the USA Bible,” Trump wrote, directing his supporters to a website selling the book for $59.99. . . .

I guess it only has 9 commandments, the one about adultery being missing.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414

58 signatories on it already, sponsored by Old Lady Brady, Stephen Flynn and Liz Saville Roberts.

Not as difficult as the main character in the first Easter one imagines.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    edited March 26
    Seen this?

https://x.com/gullisjonathan/status/1772688529400713359?s=46

Defensive move to keep the rebels on board?
  • Options

Coates is a ramper and a hyperbole merchant to be fair.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,471
    edited March 26

AP (via Seattle Times) - Trump is selling ‘God Bless the USA’ Bibles for $59.99 as he faces mounting legal bills

Former President Donald Trump is now selling Bibles as he runs to return to the White House.

Trump, who became the presumptive Republican nominee earlier this month, released a video on his Truth Social platform on Tuesday urging his supporters to buy the “God Bless the USA Bible,” which is inspired by country singer Lee Greenwood’s patriotic ballad. Trump takes the stage to the song at each of his rallies and has appeared with Greenwood at events.

“Happy Holy Week! Let’s Make America Pray Again. As we lead into Good Friday and Easter, I encourage you to get a copy of the God Bless the USA Bible,” Trump wrote, directing his supporters to a website selling the book for $59.99. . . .

Coveting thy neighbour's ass is also about adultery isn't it?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Not as difficult as the main character in the first Easter one imagines.
    He had a good Palm Sunday and fitted in a bit of money lender baiting and having his feet anointed by a lady person.
    Went south after that tbf
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,425

Or does it refer to this -

• Options

Not even nine UNLESS you are discounting commandments VII through X?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,458
    TimS said:

MJW said:

I think the badness is deliberate - insinuate it into the minds of the electorate, like an earworm. Then hope that 10% of the message lingers, which it might. It’s from the Cummings playbook.
    It's the Cummings playbook, but the actors are from the Cornley Polytechnic Dramatic Society. Which is why it's coming out terrible.

If I were Andy Street, I'd be spitting feathers right now.

There was that line in the Sunday Times a few weekends ago, the crisps don’t decide the marketing strategy. The marketing people have gone feral, which would be bad enough if they were good at their jobs.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,832

nico679 said:

They really need to start forced sterilization of Trump supporters . Their continued polluting of the US gene pool needs to end .

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    Nice quote . But doesn’t change my opinion . Trump supporters are a cancer . The world wouldn’t miss them .
  • Options
    edited March 26

Commandment VII - Thou shall NOT steal.
  • Options

Coates is a ramper and a hyperbole merchant to be fair.
    They all are on Sky
  • Options
    TimS said:

Seen this?

Oh dear . Plumming new depths of desperation by Sunak .
  • Options
    TimS said:

MJW said:

I can see why you might think because surely badness that bad must be deliberate for some 4D chess masterplan reason... but no, it really isn't. It's not deliberate its just totally inept.

Sometimes you just needs to call out the shockingly poor for what it is: shockingly poor.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Seen this?

Come back Lee Anderson all is forgiven.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

TimS said:

Seen this?

Jeeeeeeeeez Louise
    Give it to Penfold next
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,233

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just never gives up. Always bounces back. Proper ornery American remember-the-Alamo never-say-die irrepressiblissimo

Arse-licker.
    My guess is that you are traveling and bored and seeing who you can wind up. My follow up prediction is that you will succeed in this goal.
    I got five in one go. @kamski @tse @kjh @logical_song and possibly @Sunil_Prasannan

Not bad!

But the value TO ME increases. As I managed to entertain myself during a boring 23 minute wait for baggage at bogota airport. And that, surely, is all that counts?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,783
    nico679 said:

TimS said:

Seen this?

Oh, does he have a fruity accent?

Minister for a week or so? Really?

He obviously doesn't believe in the Establishment of the C of E, given what he said about bishops in the HoL, I see.
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

They really need to start forced sterilization of Trump supporters . Their continued polluting of the US gene pool needs to end .

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    Nice quote . But doesn’t change my opinion . Trump supporters are a cancer . The world wouldn’t miss them .
    Maybe true but you are talking about a lot of Americans.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

cf the sinners' bible, which owing to a 17th Century printing error said Thou shalt commit adultery.
  • Options

The guy really is utterly shameless.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

It’s probably more productive to try to understand why Trump has an appeal and what is drawing certain people to seek after something that isn’t on offer elsewhere than simply dismissing a sizeable chunk of people out of hand.
    We’re long past the understanding stage. Trump thinks his supporters are gullible morons and they’re too stupid to realize that.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Evening all :)

Not the best of evenings in crime-ridden London in all honesty. Honest residents cower in the shells of their homes as ULEZ enforcers prowl the streets exchanging gunfire with the local gangs while the Police flee to the few stations left open and provide limited sanctuary to terrified locals chased out of their homes by catamounts and goblins.

Not quite Port-au-Prince, is it? Imagine if Labour had shown some of Stuart Ramsay's report carefully edited and said this is what London would look like after four years of Susan Hall in the Mayoralty. The outrage, the horror, the fact checking!

Sadiq Khan's ruthless seizure of power via the ballot box is clearly a corruption of real democracy which involves the ruling party changing leader at whim - ask Theresa May, Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak.

One of the extraordinary facts concerns the closure of front counter police officers. This is from the Met:

https://www.met.police.uk/foi-ai/metropolitan-police/d/october-2022/police-station-closures-2010-2022/

Nearly twice as many closed under Boris Johnson than have closed uner Sadiq Khan. Many would question the value of closing any public-facing police office - I'd question some of the property deals themselves. Boris was quite happy to back Osborne's austerity when it suited him. In my part of the world, we now only have Ilford and Forest Gate stations with front counters.

My bugbear is fare evasion - TfL loses £160m every year. How do Khan, Hall, Blackie, Binface and the others intend to reduce this? I suspect TfL has pretty good knowledge of the stations and lines where fare evasion is endemic yet it seems to go unchallenged. Perhaps the gangs of ULEZ enforcers could roam the Underground checking tickets and dispensing summary justice on those travelling illegally - a shade draconian perhaps, more of a One Nation Conservative policy.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Roger said:

The bastard's rich again!

Make Donald Rich Again :D
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247
    Judge imposes gagging order on Trump...

"that prohibits him from attacking witnesses, prosecutors and jurors, the latest effort to rein in the former president’s wrathful rhetoric about his legal opponents."

NY Times blog.

That is LOL. What are the chances?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Leon said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Arse-licker.

Not bad!

But the value TO ME increases. As I managed to entertain myself during a boring 23 minute wait for baggage at bogota airport. And that, surely, is all that counts?
    Much as I liked your 'Gotcha' that does sound a smidging selfish.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    nico679 said:

ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

It’s probably more productive to try to understand why Trump has an appeal and what is drawing certain people to seek after something that isn’t on offer elsewhere than simply dismissing a sizeable chunk of people out of hand.
    We’re long past the understanding stage. Trump thinks his supporters are gullible morons and they’re too stupid to realize that.
    Trump wouldn't exist without people like you having such over the top reactions to him.
  • Options
    Trent said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Maybe true but you are talking about a lot of Americans.
    Yes a lot of Americans. There is no defence for voting for Trump. People have become de-sensitized to the litany of things that should disqualify a candidate ,

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247

TimS said:

MJW said:

It's the Cummings playbook, but the actors are from the Cornley Polytechnic Dramatic Society. Which is why it's coming out terrible.

If I were Andy Street, I'd be spitting feathers right now.

There was that line in the Sunday Times a few weekends ago, the crisps don’t decide the marketing strategy. The marketing people have gone feral, which would be bad enough if they were good at their jobs.
    Yeh, "the Birmingham is a shit-hole now please re-elect the mayor" is a real winning strategy.

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Arse-licker.
    Your Colombian marching powder must be good stuff!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Arse-licker.

Not bad!

Pray for everyone at Bogata Airport.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    TimS said:

Seen this?

One would have thought he'd already be applying to Local Education Authorities for teaching roles.
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Not long till we get to enjoy another turgid England boreathon
    Southgate closing in on an 11 David Batty's set up
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

He will be gone by Friday. (And back on Sunday.)
  • Options
    The situation with the baltimore bridge is interesting and giving rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories. I have seen this on X.

Multiple intel sources: Baltimore bridge collapse was an “absolutely brilliant strategic attack” on US critical infrastructure - most likely cyber - & our intel agencies know it. In information warfare terms, they just divided the US along the Mason Dixon line exactly like the Civil War.

Second busiest strategic roadway in the nation for hazardous material now down for 4-5 years - which is how long they say it will take to recover. Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

Make no mistake: this was an extraordinary attack in terms of planning, timing & execution.

The two critical components on that bridge are the two load-bearing pylons on each end, closest to the shore. They are bigger, thicker and deeper than anything else. These are the anchor points and they knew that hitting either one one of them would be a fatal wound to the integrity of the bridge.

Half a mile of bridge went in the river - likely you will have to build a new one. Also caused so much damage to the structural integrity of the bottom concrete part that you cannot see & won’t know until they take the wreckage apart. Structural destruction likely absolute.

Attack perfectly targeted.

https://x.com/laralogan/status/1772675651599770093?s=20
  • Options
    THERE IS NO BAR, AT AEROPUERTO BOGOTÁ
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354

MJW said:

They're trying to do the old movie trailer voiceover thing, but those kind of trailers went out of fashion about 20 years ago so it just looks/sounds odd and naff.
  • Options

nico679 said:

ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Trump wouldn't exist without people like you having such over the top reactions to him.
    He also needs people like you to continually and lovingly caress his ego.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Crime is an issue Hall can use against Khan but ads like this are not the way to do it, so CCHQ needs a rethink
  • Options

nico679 said:

ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Most normal sane people should be revulsed by Trump. That is not an over the top reaction .
  • Options
    Safe to say the promotion of Jonathan Gullis hasn't gone down brilliantly among some of his colleagues

One says he was "cheaply bought for his gushing whatsapp" and that it's "a spectacularly stupid decision and shows how tone deaf No 10 is."

Another MP texts "🤭🤣🤭🤣🤭🤣"

Another MP says: "I wondered why he’d been so sycophantic of late."

A former minister adds: "We all did."

Another former minister messages: "Demented."

https://twitter.com/CatNeilan/status/1772705097266405567
  • Options
    First genius comment of footy night 'you cant start everyone'
  • Options
    Leon said:

Well you will have to entertain us instead.
  • Options

nico679 said:

ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

He also needs people like you to continually and lovingly caress his ego.
    Edit; Oboe autocorrected to ego.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    edited March 26
    Trent said:

Leon said:

There's a first time for everything.

LOOK AT MEE! LOOK AT MEE!
  • Options
    edited March 26

How Republicans learnt to love bigger government
    A growing body on the right now believe that Medicare and other programmes must not be cut at all

https://www.ft.com/content/b17c31d4-8da3-42c9-8c8a-7e06dad9cf15 (£££)

No great surprise. GWB was a big-government president. The main thesis appears to be that middle class Republicans and working class Democrats have switched teams.

There is a telling aside about GOP budget-slasher Paul Ryan:-

The budget cutting championed by former Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan no longer has an obvious constituency.

That’s no great loss. When Ryan retired at the start of 2019, after two years of unified Republican control of Congress and the White House, at the peak of the longest economic expansion on record, he left behind a deficit for the fiscal year in progress that would approach $1tn.

More white working class former Democrats are now Republican overall, Black and Hispanics still tend to vote Democrat but less strongly than they did. Middle class, higher earning college graduate former Republicans however are now swing voters and in 2020 backed Biden after voting for Trump in 2016
  • Options

TimS said:

Seen this?

Gullis looks and acts like a man in-bred over several generations
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    nico679 said:

TimS said:

Seen this?

You suppose no one else wanted it. Tory Deputy Chairman has all the job allure of the old Al Qaeda Number 3 role back in the day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/01/AR2010060103497.html
  • Options

Is it Saturday lunchtime already?

Are you thinking, what I'm thinking? Or what I think you're thinking!
  • Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

I over reacted. I was in the “crap countries” terminal. Now I’m in the right terminal and there’s about ten bars. Did seem a bit drastic

However the lounges have no wifi or cellular coverage (“it’s down, lo siento”) so this is still a pretty unimpressive performance
  • Options
    Trent said:

The situation with the baltimore bridge is interesting and giving rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories. I have seen this on X.

Multiple intel sources: Baltimore bridge collapse was an “absolutely brilliant strategic attack” on US critical infrastructure - most likely cyber - & our intel agencies know it. In information warfare terms, they just divided the US along the Mason Dixon line exactly like the Civil War.

Second busiest strategic roadway in the nation for hazardous material now down for 4-5 years - which is how long they say it will take to recover. Bridge was built specifically to move hazardous material - fuel, diesel, propane gas, nitrogen, highly flammable materials, chemicals and oversized cargo that cannot fit in the tunnels - that supply chain now crippled.

Make no mistake: this was an extraordinary attack in terms of planning, timing & execution.

The two critical components on that bridge are the two load-bearing pylons on each end, closest to the shore. They are bigger, thicker and deeper than anything else. These are the anchor points and they knew that hitting either one one of them would be a fatal wound to the integrity of the bridge.

Half a mile of bridge went in the river - likely you will have to build a new one. Also caused so much damage to the structural integrity of the bottom concrete part that you cannot see & won’t know until they take the wreckage apart. Structural destruction likely absolute.

I heard from an impeccable source that it was aliens. There is a secret walkway on the seabed that leads to the Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria and the Grassy Knoll. By blocking the walkway, the aliens hope to stop the Illuminati from meeting and developing Elon Musk's new Infinite Improbability Drive that will be a step-change over the aliens' own technology.

As it was written on an impeccable source (politicalbetting) it must be correct!

Or alternatively: a ship lost control due to power failure and went into a bridge that was insufficiently protected. Accidents happen.

Also, there is some oddness in the descriptions of the civil engineering of the bridge... anchor points, for instance, is a phrase commonly used in suspension or cable-stat bridges, not truss bridges.
  • Options

"that prohibits him from attacking witnesses, prosecutors and jurors, the latest effort to rein in the former president’s wrathful rhetoric about his legal opponents."

NY Times blog.

They really need to stop faffing about . If Trump breaks the gagging order they should order his arrest for contempt of court .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Crime is an issue Hall can use against Khan but ads like this are not the way to do it, so CCHQ needs a rethink

Thank f*** there's no crime outside London on the Tories' watch.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

I over reacted. I was in the “crap countries” terminal. Now I’m in the right terminal and there’s about ten bars. Did seem a bit drastic

However the lounges have no wifi or cellular coverage (“it’s down, lo siento”) so this is still a pretty unimpressive performance
    How hot are the women in Colombia Leon.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601

kjh said:

Labour are leafleting and canvassing in Guildford with dodgy bar charts (that's our job) showing they are the main challengers. Honestly they would rather the Tories hold Guildford by trying to thwart the LDs. Why not concentrate on sensible targets (admittedly not a lot around here).

Same around here in Didcot and Wantage. My big concern is that the personal ambition of Labour candidates, who see the coming GE as possibly their only chance of becoming an MP, will lead to vote splits that will allow the Tories to cling on to numerous seats.
    Using Corbyn's 2019 electoral catastrophe as a benchmark to identify the best challenger to the Conservatives is not to be recommended in the changed circumstances of 2024. The LDs should acknowledge the weakness of their current polling rather than adopt a sense of entitlement in each and every seat where they were well back in second in 2019.

Specifically, the circumstances in your Didcot and Wantage seat are very different to those in Guildford. Electoral Calculus currently give Labour a 47% chance of winning Didcot and Wantage, compared to 27% for the LDs and 26% for the Conservatives. That's consistent with R&W polling showing Labour now making a very strong showing across the "Blue Wall" seats of the South, with the LDs consistently going backwards compared to their 2019 result.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Didcot+and+Wantage
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Most normal sane people should be revulsed by Trump. That is not an over the top reaction .
    You advocated the “forced sterilisation” of Trump supporters, then doubled down by calling them a cancer

That’s roughly half of US voters that you consider a terrible disease who deserve to be forcibly sterilised. And you don’t think that’s “over the top”
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Scott_xP said:

@aljwhite

Robert Halfon is stepping down and resigning as a minister

Halfon also will not contest Harlow again at the next general election.

Harlow could be a good prospect for someone on the Tory candidates list, from being ultra marginal, having gone Labour in 1997 after being Tory in 1992, then Tory again in 2010 it is now relatively safe for the Tories. Indeed getting safer as the new boundary changes shift some rural Saffron Walden wards into Harlow constituency and with its pro Brexit views and still Conservative majority council.

Indeed Harlow is now only 223rd on the Labour target list

https://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour
  • Options

Safe to say the promotion of Jonathan Gullis hasn't gone down brilliantly among some of his colleagues

One says he was "cheaply bought for his gushing whatsapp" and that it's "a spectacularly stupid decision and shows how tone deaf No 10 is."

Another MP texts "🤭🤣🤭🤣🤭🤣"

Another MP says: "I wondered why he’d been so sycophantic of late."

A former minister adds: "We all did."

Another former minister messages: "Demented."

https://twitter.com/CatNeilan/status/1772705097266405567

I don't see how bringing a thick as pig sh1t, hard right yob in as deputy chair of the party can go wrong for Sunak. It's a tried and tested tactic.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

NY Times blog.

They really need to stop faffing about . If Trump breaks the gagging order they should order his arrest for contempt of court .
    Not sure how many PBers noticed . . . but Senegal just elected an opposition politico as its new President . . . two weeks after he was released from jail.
  • Options
    I’m watching the Wales match instead, as there is something riding on it. Does anyone know if any English channels are showing it? It’s live on S4C (which I’m watching) but it’s all in Welsh obviously.
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

You advocated the “forced sterilisation” of Trump supporters, then doubled down by calling them a cancer

That’s roughly half of US voters that you consider a terrible disease who deserve to be forcibly sterilised. And you don’t think that’s “over the top”
    No , not at all ! I’ve just taken a leaf out of your book !

You’re not exactly known for your subtlety so if it’s good enough for Leon it’s good enough for me !
  • Options

Trent said:

I heard from an impeccable source that it was aliens. There is a secret walkway on the seabed that leads to the Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria and the Grassy Knoll. By blocking the walkway, the aliens hope to stop the Illuminati from meeting and developing Elon Musk's new Infinite Improbability Drive that will be a step-change over the aliens' own technology.

As it was written on an impeccable source (politicalbetting) it must be correct!

Or alternatively: a ship lost control due to power failure and went into a bridge that was insufficiently protected. Accidents happen.

Also, there is some oddness in the descriptions of the civil engineering of the bridge... anchor points, for instance, is a phrase commonly used in suspension or cable-stat bridges, not truss bridges.
    Honestly thats all very interesting. I will have to do some more research.
  • Options

I’m watching the Wales match instead, as there is something riding on it. Does anyone know if any English channels are showing it? It’s live on S4C (which I’m watching) but it’s all in Welsh obviously.

Iplayer apparantly
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,783

Trent said:

Does it matter? Add a few remarks about the fragility of cast iron, arched ribs, dovetail joints, and so on, and 90% of X-users would be even more impressed.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793

He will be gone by Friday. (And back on Sunday.)
    ...And that was the end of Solomon Lindsay :)
  • Options
    Addendum - wondering why CSA envoys Mason & Slidell, did NOT have good sense to sail to St Petersburg?

(Russia NOT Florida!)
  • Options

nico679 said:

NY Times blog.

Not sure how many PBers noticed . . . but Senegal just elected an opposition politico as its new President . . . two weeks after he was released from jail.
    As goes Senegal so goes the USA.
  • Options
    edited March 26

Trent said:

You scoff - perhaps rightly - but it is far from impossible that this is Chinese psy ops

We KNOW that the Chinese are attacking American infrastructure. Including “manufacturing” and “transport”. These are not fever dreams, it is the case

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/08/chinese-hack-us-transportation-infrastructure

In the last weeks Boeing has been in free fall, as it were, and now a crucial bridge goes down

One is allowed to say Hmmmm
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    HYUFD said:

The actual figures tell a different story from the one Hall is suggesting.

However, the perception of crime in London is different from the reality and is augmented by a widespread lack of faith in the Met and any statistics on reported crime given the volume of crime which goes unreported.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542

TimS said:

Seen this?

Gullis looks and acts like a man in-bred over several generations
    Harsh. But it's fair comment to say that Gullis is so thick he makes Lee Anderson look like an intellectual titan.
    Somebody asked earlier if it can get any worse for the Tories.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@aljwhite

Robert Halfon is stepping down and resigning as a minister

Halfon also will not contest Harlow again at the next general election.

Harlow could be a good prospect for someone on the Tory candidates list, from being ultra marginal, having gone Labour in 1997 after being Tory in 1992, then Tory again in 2010 it is now relatively safe for the Tories. Indeed getting safer as the new boundary changes shift some rural Saffron Walden wards into Harlow constituency and with its pro Brexit views and still Conservative majority council.

Indeed Harlow is now only 223rd on the Labour target list

https://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour
    No hope for the Tories there then.
  • Options

Iplayer apparantly
    Where? I looked and couldn’t see it advertised anywhere
  • Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

How hot are the women in Colombia Leon.
    Shakira is quite representative. Put it that way
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

nico679 said:

NY Times blog.

Yes, an interesting sounding guy. Left wing, Muslim, anti-French as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    PB = Putin Bot training academy
  • Options

Iplayer apparantly
    Hmm I looked on https://www.live-footballontv.com/
    But I also cannot see it on the iplayer
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not sure how he justifies the last line though. Impressive though the usurpation of Henry IV was, it pales compared to that of Richard III.

Heathener said:

I’m rather impressed by @TSE at the moment.

The only downside is that if people like him stick around in the Party after the defeat, they will one day bounce back.

Nah, Richard became aware of the illegitimacy of his nephews and that he was the rightful heir. Then the Tudor arse came and wrecked everything.
    Richard *invented* the story that his nephews were illegitimate and it's very possible he did so only after becoming King. Initially, he resurrected Clarence's claim that Edward IV had been illegitimate.
    I'm a paid up member of the Richard was wronged throng. The victor's rewrite history to hide their own crimes.
    You mean, like the successful usurper trying to persuade people he didn't murder his nephews after stealing the crown?
  • Options

kjh said:

Labour are leafleting and canvassing in Guildford with dodgy bar charts (that's our job) showing they are the main challengers. Honestly they would rather the Tories hold Guildford by trying to thwart the LDs. Why not concentrate on sensible targets (admittedly not a lot around here).

Same around here in Didcot and Wantage. My big concern is that the personal ambition of Labour candidates, who see the coming GE as possibly their only chance of becoming an MP, will lead to vote splits that will allow the Tories to cling on to numerous seats.
    Using Corbyn's 2019 electoral catastrophe as a benchmark to identify the best challenger to the Conservatives is not to be recommended in the changed circumstances of 2024. The LDs should acknowledge the weakness of their current polling rather than adopt a sense of entitlement in each and every seat where they were well back in second in 2019.

Specifically, the circumstances in your Didcot and Wantage seat are very different to those in Guildford. Electoral Calculus currently give Labour a 47% chance of winning Didcot and Wantage, compared to 27% for the LDs and 26% for the Conservatives. That's consistent with R&W polling showing Labour now making a very strong showing across the "Blue Wall" seats of the South, with the LDs consistently going backwards compared to their 2019 result.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Didcot+and+Wantage
    Electoral Calculus is a nonsense which isn't at all based on local evidence, and there is no "sense of entitlement" involved in a party campaigning to win in a seat where they were a good second last time.

If Labour convince people locally that they are the challengers, fair play to them. But the idea the Lib Dems should simply clear the field is the very definition of "sense of entitlement" on your part.
  • Options
    I wonder if America - and the west - is doing the same inside China? Infiltrating their manufacturing and infrastructure with a mind to fucking it all up if needs be

One rather hopes so
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Did you vote for Obama in 2012?

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE82P0JI/

President Barack Obama was caught on camera on Monday assuring outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev that he will have "more flexibility" to deal with contentious issues like missile defense after the U.S. presidential election.

Obama, during talks in Seoul, urged Moscow to give him "space" until after the November ballot, and Medvedev said he would relay the message to incoming Russian president Vladimir Putin.
  • Options

Iplayer apparantly
    Hmm I looked on https://www.live-footballontv.com/
    But I also cannot see it on the iplayer
    Yeah same. Thanks anyway. S4C is Virgin Media channel 164 for those with cable. It’s live on there (in Welsh)
  • Options
    edited March 26

Iplayer apparantly
    Ah found it under the sport heading but its just a stream of the S4C Welsh LaNguage coverage, sorry
  • Options
    See what I mean?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771

Viaplay, but it's £15 a month

https://viaplay.com/gb-en/sport/soccer/european-qualifiers/wales-poland/s24032287127887753
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

Apparently the Baltimore Bridge had been vaccinated.
    Just goes to show.

Well, we all know Trusses collapse rapidly when bad stuff happens.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not sure how he justifies the last line though. Impressive though the usurpation of Henry IV was, it pales compared to that of Richard III.

Heathener said:

I’m rather impressed by @TSE at the moment.

The only downside is that if people like him stick around in the Party after the defeat, they will one day bounce back.

Nah, Richard became aware of the illegitimacy of his nephews and that he was the rightful heir. Then the Tudor arse came and wrecked everything.
    Richard *invented* the story that his nephews were illegitimate and it's very possible he did so only after becoming King. Initially, he resurrected Clarence's claim that Edward IV had been illegitimate.
    I'm a paid up member of the Richard was wronged throng. The victor's rewrite history to hide their own crimes.
    You mean, like the successful usurper trying to persuade people he didn't murder his nephews after stealing the crown?
    No, nothing like that! Poor fella.
  • Options
    Trent said:

Trent said:

Honestly thats all very interesting. I will have to do some more research.
    Look up Occam's Razor first.

For this to be deliberate, there would have to be a conspiracy between the two pilots on board (usually local people), and some of the bridge crew on the ship (probably foreign). They would have had to have faked a power outage at the correct point, and ensured that the current and drift speed would take it into the bridge pier and not any of the other items in the water, such as what appear to be the bases of power pylons (*).

Alternatively, a ship had power issues at a very critical moment, when there was little time or room to manoeuvre. This happens a lot; most of the time the ships have plenty of time to fix the issues. One or two ships *sink* each week at sea.

See why the latter is much more probable (though less exciting) than the former?

(*) Which appear to be *much* better protected than the bridge piers...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2163088,-76.5293557,1019m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!10m1!1e1?entry=ttu
  • Options

Iplayer apparantly
    Ah found it under the sport heading but its just a stream of the S4C Welsh LaNguage coverage, sorry
    No worries
  • Options

Did you vote for Obama in 2012?

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE82P0JI/

President Barack Obama was caught on camera on Monday assuring outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev that he will have "more flexibility" to deal with contentious issues like missile defense after the U.S. presidential election.

Obama, during talks in Seoul, urged Moscow to give him "space" until after the November ballot, and Medvedev said he would relay the message to incoming Russian president Vladimir Putin.
    That was at a time when relations with Russia were much better . Not sure what point you’re trying to prove . Your man in the USA is happy to blow Putin in 2024 after his invasion of Ukraine .