Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

You get what you vote for – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    a

PM to give a statement outside Downing Street at 5.40

Not sure but it looks like something to do with extremism

Will he proscribe the Labour Party?
    Doesn't their leader support the starving of kids and personally nukes Gaza every afternoon, just before tea?

Sounds like a rotter.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    ohnotnow said:

PM on R4 just said Rishi is giving a live press statement outside No.10 at about 5.40. Specifically been told it's not calling the election.

Hrm.

How disappointing.
    Maybe he will resign, in order to spend more time on his Vision Pro.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

He wasn't going to call an election. But to stop Galloway taking his seat he's calling an election now.
    Sky just said it is not to call the GE
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

PM on R4 just said Rishi is giving a live press statement outside No.10 at about 5.40. Specifically been told it's not calling the election.

Hrm.

He’s probably going to call for a ceasefire in Gaza.
    I think it's war. He's going to declare war

And, frankly, it's about time
    War against Woke.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    It has to be war

We have no choice now. We have, if anything, left it far too late, we are perilously close to disaster, due to our havering

Sunak must fling down the gauntlet. Enough is enough. War it is, and we shall not be deterred
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    ohnotnow said:

Hrm.

Referendum on joining the EU?

:naughty:
  • Options

Isn't this the sort of needy, attention-seeking stunt he pulled after the Uxbridge by-election when he announced an end to the "war on motorists"?

It will be something they've cooked up during the day in an attempt to capitalise on Labour's Galloway-related difficulties. It will be lame and pathetic.
    It is just politics
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Things Sunak could announce to "protect our democratic processes":
    1. Reduce the franchise by increasing the minimum voting age to 65
    2. An additional £3bn injection of public money into GB News
    3. People who wear hats to be excluded from the House of Commons

That'd dispose of Mr R-M, no?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217

If the Labour party were a small fringe party, it might have been proscribed based on the EHRC anti-semitism report.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219

He wasn't going to call an election. But to stop Galloway taking his seat he's calling an election now.
    Besides, Labour did really badly last night. Big swing to the Conservatives.

SPREADSHEET SAYS WE'RE IN WITH A CHANCE LADS!
    From Rochdale, on UNS Labour lose all their seats. Go for it Rishi!
  • Options

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Hrm.

War against Woke.
    You may joke, but this is serious

The nation is ready, and expectant. We all know this moment has been coming

War. Just writing that makes you realise the gravity of the situation. We shouldn't have left it this late, nor denied ourselves the options of peace, but we chose this path and we are where we are

Sunak must do it, and declare it, and I believe he will. War
  • Options

Isn't this the sort of needy, attention-seeking stunt he pulled after the Uxbridge by-election when he announced an end to the "war on motorists"?

It will be something they've cooked up during the day in an attempt to capitalise on Labour's Galloway-related difficulties. It will be lame and pathetic.
    It is just politics
    It’s politics, but it’s needy and pathetic, as noted.
    Demeaning to the office of PM.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Hrm.

The Faroese have got away with abusing our whales for far too long.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,946
    Leon said:

It has to be war

We have no choice now. We have, if anything, left it far too late, we are perilously close to disaster, due to our havering

Sunak must fling down the gauntlet. Enough is enough. War it is, and we shall not be deterred

"We do not have a problem with the people of Cambodia, however...."
  • Options
    Leon said:

It has to be war

Do what President Bartlett would do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9M34DzAKo&t=14s
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Hrm.

The Faroese have got away with abusing our whales for far too long.
    Frankly they could probably take us right now.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    edited March 1

It is just politics
    I think there was a point when the PM dragging the old lectern into Downing Street was only done on very special occasions. You could tell when it was nakedly political because then they only wandered outside with a carefully chosen coffee mug. But, like so much else in Britain, this has been progressively devalued to the point of banality.
  • Options

a

Doesn't their leader support the starving of kids and personally nukes Gaza every afternoon, just before tea?

Sounds like a rotter.
    Oh yeah.

But desperate times need desperate responses.

No Labour Party means a Conservative landslide, or with Rishi's current luck, a coalition with Galloway?
  • Options
    Rumour is all over TwitterX now

War it is

You've all been pooh-poohing me since 4.56pm but I have been right all along

WAR. It's not like we have any alternative now, anyway
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Dune 2.

Wow.

• Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

FUCKSAKE WHERE ARE WE ALL GOING TO LIVE

EVERYWHERE IS SHIT APART FROM CAMBODIA

I feel the same way. Canada is bonkers and you can't get in. Australia too far. USA obvious drawbacks. It's one thing escaping this shithole yourself but taking the family with you when your children are all over 18 is another thing.

Family, friends and familiarity keep one rooted here. I console myself with as much travelling as I can. Thank God for skiing - a winter here with no escape would do for me I think.
    Canada is too cold. Australia yes, so remote, though I do have close family there and some friends, around Sydney, and Australia has that sunny optimism almost entirely missing in Europe and the USA... it is an option for me....

I want all my friends to move to Phnom Penh with me, but oddly they are not so keen

Piquantly, I just had exactly this discussion with a Brit friend based in New Orleans (who was out in Bangkok). He used to love America but he can't stand the USA now, he hears gunfire most nights, he sees crime everywhere, he says it is always menacing, and the politiics is poisonous and racially toxic, plus the drugs and homeless stuff - he is desperate to move away from the USA - but he says he can't go to Britain coz it is too grey and depressing

So where will he go? He does not know, everywhere has massive issues

I have kind of adopted your attitude for now. I shall be a nomad, just move around a lot, keep my little flat in London as a base, but keep moving too, see how the world pans out, it's gonna be a bouncy few years with the AI revolution. Keep options open
    I'm happy with cold as long as it is by way of defined seasons and proper cold.

The Okanagan in Canada, for example, has a wonderful climate - skiing in winter very hot in summer. And it's gorgeous.
    My eldest was married in 2015 in Kelowna to a Canadian and they live in Vancouver

Wonderful wedding ceremony and reception at Ancient Hill Winery
  • Options
    Leon said:

War it is

So he had 'Falklands moment' on his strategy list then.
  • Options
    Leon said:

War it is

Hopefully a proper Full Fat Global Thermonuclear War.

Not one of those Gay NATO Tactical Nuclear Wars.

Incidentally, any idea why the Russia obsession with NATO being Gayish?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

If the Labour party were a small fringe party, it might have been proscribed based on the EHRC anti-semitism report.
    Maybe he is about to proscribe the Conservative Party for Islamophobia?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

This is Wellington Way Shopping Centre

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12947513/Welcome-zombie-apocalypse-town-Despairing-locals-claim-thriving-high-street-derelict-slew-closures-new-retail-park-opening-nearby-drove-shoppers-away.html

It's in Waterlooville, a town north of Portsmouth

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2CVKrYZqFx2q44Km6

If the old world of shopping has gone, then we need to start adjusting, which means knocking down shops and old shopping centres.

May I humbly suggest that the cure to Wellington Way Shopping Centre is to knock it down flat and turn it either into a car park or a field. You could make a nice field out of it and it would give you somewhere nice to walk your dog

Or you can build some nice houses.

Town centers need to reinvent themselves, again.

They thrived, at first, because it was convenient to have all your shopping in one place, and you could get the bus there, do all your shopping and return home.

Then - as families became multi-car - out of center shopping centers (with parking!) thrived. Now you could go, park, and do all your shopping.

Now... most shopping takes place on-line.

I'm trying to think of the last time I went to a shop, with the exception of when I go to a grocery store to buy light, easily perishable things. I buy all my clothes on-line. I buy batteries, cat food, and other consumables on-line. Why would I visit a store?

The only shopping centers that are surviving are those that realised that you need to be an experience first: Westfield with their Kidzania and 100 food options. And that's it.

Town centers need to follow London's lead: they need to become entertainment and residential. Out go most stores, and in come apartments, restaurants, bars and gyms.

And we need councils to facilitate and encourage this.

Sadly, too often, they allow high streets to become charity stores and vape shops.
    Restaurants, bars and gyms require well paying jobs so folk can keep them in business.
    That isn't easy outside London.
    There are increasing numbers of young people who work remotely. If they could get a flat in a nice town center in Rochdale - assuming Rochdale had the amenities they wanted - for under £100k vs £400k in a pretty dingy part of London, why wouldn't you?

In a world of remote workers, lower cost places have a massive opportunity. And those digital nomads create jobs in restaurants, and coffee shops, and gyms.
  • Options
    "It has become clear in recent weeks that a clear and present danger exists in our democracy. A threat that risks sending us back to square one. Having taken soundings from a wide range of MPs across all parties, from Lee Anderson to Priti Patel, I can announce that my government will introduce emergency legislation on Monday to make it illegal to threaten British Values by voting for parties working against the People's Priorities."
  • Options

carnforth said:

Maybe he is about to proscribe the Conservative Party for Islamophobia?
    Might be the only way he's prime minister next year.
  • Options
    Leon said:

War it is

I hope he is careful who he declares war with. Hopefully somewhere small and handy like the Isle of Man rather than Russia.
  • Options
    Leon said:

War it is

War. Against Whom?

Russia?
    Hamas?
    Israel?
    Space Aliens?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

War it is

So he had 'Falklands moment' on his strategy list then.
    Yep

I also just want to point out that this is another big call I got right. I said nearly 25 minutes ago that Sunak is going to declare war, and I've stuck by that through thick and thin, even when you were all mocking me, constantly and snidely, and often with personal abuse, for minute after minute

A weaker personality would have folded, I am not like that. I've beem persistent and consistent, I've ignored the naysayers, and now - YES: VINDICATION
  • Options

Leon said:

War it is

War. Against Whom?

Russia?
    Hamas?
    Israel?
    Space Aliens?
    Trans Gay Illegal Immigrant Alien AIs

Obvious, really.
  • Options

"It has become clear in recent weeks that a clear and present danger exists in our democracy. A threat that risks sending us back to square one. Having taken soundings from a wide range of MPs across all parties, from Lee Anderson to Priti Patel, I can announce that my government will introduce emergency legislation on Monday to make it illegal to threaten British Values by voting for parties working against the People's Priorities."

The War Act 2024. All elections postponed until 2050.
  • Options

Leon said:

War it is

I hope he is careful who he declares war with. Hopefully somewhere small and handy like the Isle of Man rather than Russia.
    What's the Isle of Man done to deserve that ?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Meanwhile.

US man extends record for most Big Macs eaten in a lifetime to over 34,000
    Don Gorske, 70, becomes one of Guinness World Records’ longest-running holders with intake of two McDonald’s burgers a day
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/01/most-mcdonalds-big-macs-eaten-lifetime-world-record-don-gorske

"He has kept a receipt of every single Big Mac he’s eaten every day since that first one, and he’s retained each of the burgers’ containers..."

What a moron
    He eats his favourite food every day. Don't knock it. And iirc American celebrity investor Warren Buffett eats McDonalds every day too. Donald Trump mixes McDonalds with KFC and is the picture of health, at least compared to his opponent. They've made it past the biblical three score years and ten.
    I agree. Apologies if I've mis-remembered but isn't your diet similarly narrow?

I've never eaten at a McDonalds which, for some, makes me stranger than this dude.
    The three major food groups, protein, fat and carbohydrates, aka fish and chips.
  • Options

Leon said:

War it is

Yes, these crown dependencies not being part of the UK is a situation that cannot be allowed to continue. Leave Mann for much longer and next thing you know they'll be restoring the Kingdom of the Isles and snatching up the Hebrides.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Besides, Labour did really badly last night. Big swing to the Conservatives.

SPREADSHEET SAYS WE'RE IN WITH A CHANCE LADS!
    From Rochdale, on UNS Labour lose all their seats. Go for it Rishi!
    Yes. Make it a Gaza GE. Cut SKS off at the knees.
  • Options

Leon said:

War it is

What's the Isle of Man done to deserve that ?
    Failure to observe speed limits. Bomb 'em.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,480

Leon said:

It has to be war

Do what President Bartlett would do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9M34DzAKo&t=14s
    More likely, do what Denholm did in the IT Crowd;

https://youtu.be/MZTvMYQSl_w
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    edited March 1
    I think it's worth saying ahead of time that any democracy worth a damn requires the freedom for a wide range of views to be expressed, and parties to represent those views.

If Sunak gives a speech about the need to protect British democracy which is little more than a partisan attempt to score points against Labour, it will be yet another indication that he isn't fit to be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649

Leon said:

War it is

War. Against Whom?

Russia?
    Hamas?
    Israel?
    Space Aliens?
    Well the Day Today war was against Australia over a trade deal, so perhaps Kemi is angling for something involving Canada.
  • Options
    Will the Speaker be annoyed on Monday with Sunak for not making the announcement to the HOC first, or has he become ineffective due to his recent 'mistake'
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Will the Speaker be annoyed on Monday with Sunak for not making the announcement to the HOC first, or has he become ineffective due to his recent 'mistake'

A good question.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    Now at 5.45
  • Options

It would be ineffective to be annoyed about such a thing in any case, but it traditional to maintain the fiction that it is unusual enough to get Parliament riled up.
  • Options
    "To protect our democratic process I can announce a new law making it illegal to have one of those letter boxes at the bottom of your door. With additional fines for those brush things in your letter box, 20 years imprisonment if you have both of those and a long footpath, and the death penalty if you have TWO gates."
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    edited March 1
    Maybe Sunak is resigning! (He can't be risking annoying the Speaker by not announcing a policy thing to the Commons first, so it must be his resignation.)
  • Options

"To protect our democratic process I can announce a new law making it illegal to have one of those letter boxes at the bottom of your door. With additional fines for those brush things in your letter box, 20 years imprisonment if you have both of those and a long footpath, and the death penalty if you have TWO gates."

That's the Postal vote sewn up, then.
  • Options

Also those sideways ones which hinge at the top, I remember from childhood. Though perhaps as middle age approaches, the ones at the bottom might be worse.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Maybe Sunak is resigning! (He can't be risking annoying the Speaker by not announcing a policy thing to the Commons first, so it must be his resignation.)

A Mortimer can hope!
  • Options
    Or maybe he's just congratulating Humza Yousaf on his just announced forthcoming baby?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

I know Rochdale reasonably well. Strapline: at least we're not Oldham.

The Northwest is full of struggling post-industrial towns, but there are a handful which are doing ok-ish. Stockport. Bury. Warrington. Preston, at a push.
    I'd struggle to think of any more.

Doesn't it depress you, all the rubbish towns?
    I was born in Oldham and all my children were born in Rochdale. If these towns didn't exist, we'd all have been born in a field.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    On R4 PM an Israeli (of Scottish descent) Lieutenant Colonel, Richard Head (no joke) defending the Israel position in Gaza. And he was!
  • Options

Maybe Sunak is resigning!

"I have asked his majesty to recall the only man who can unite the country in these trying times: Boris Johnson. We will be creating him as Baron Johnson of Bloviation to lead us through these difficult moments.

To assist Lord Johnson I will be immediately taking up position as Minister for Technological Innovation, and embarking on a 6 month trip to Silicon Valley to learn from the best"
  • Options

Letter boxes at the bottom of doors should be outlawed
  • Options
    Maybe Tice’s complaint about mass postal fraud has been confirmed by MI5.
  • Options
    "As your elected Prime Minister I am best placed to protect our democratic processes. It has become clear to those of us in the Conservative Party that elections are a terrible insult to democracy. And as our priorities are your priorities, I can announce that I am introducing emergency legislation to abolish all elections.

If members of parliament no longer have constituents, there can be no death threats against them for constituents. If MPs no longer have to waste their time talking to people, they will no longer need to wear stab vests and fear assault.

And in a final measure, to best protect the best men and men who will ensure our democracy survives, the identity of members of parliament will be kept secret. They will know, but the Islamists will not."
  • Options

Death penalty reserved for houses with a barking dog in the hallway and a sharp upper edge to the letterbox.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    He is nationalising Stannah stairlifts, and appointing Thora Hird to a peerage.

She will take up a new “Czar of just funnelling every last penny to the over 65s” position.
  • Options
    edited March 1

Now at 5.45

I think Biden and Claire Balding are making a last ditch attempt to stop the coming war. But it's surely too late now
  • Options

"As your elected Prime Minister I am best placed to protect our democratic processes. It has become clear to those of us in the Conservative Party that elections are a terrible insult to democracy. And as our priorities are your priorities, I can announce that I am introducing emergency legislation to abolish all elections.

If members of parliament no longer have constituents, there can be no death threats against them for constituents. If MPs no longer have to waste their time talking to people, they will no longer need to wear stab vests and fear assault.

And in a final measure, to best protect the best men and men who will ensure our democracy survives, the identity of members of parliament will be kept secret. They will know, but the Islamists will not."

I've been playing Suzerain a lot lately, and turns out even actively trying to be a brutal authoritarian is trickier than we sometimes thing, but good on Rishi for trying.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    It's a weird moment in all our lives. We will all remember what we were doing, this day, this hour, this pivotal juncture
  • Options
    Beth Rigby - the podium is out !!!!
  • Options

Beth Rigby - the podium is out !!!!

The podium industry has been one of the big winners from the last decade of Tory rule.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,678
    Just heard about this statement. Does anyone have any idea what it might be about?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Now at 5.45

I think Biden and Claire Balding are making a last ditch attempt to stop the coming war. But it's surely too late now
    Where the hell is Joanna Lumley when you need her?!
  • Options
    Beth just said WAR twice

They are preparing us
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Andy_JS said:

Just heard about this statement. Does anyone have any idea what it might be about?

Probably f*ck all I imagine
  • Options
    edited March 1
    Andy_JS said:

Extremism ?
  • Options
    I don't think George Galloway is real. He's got an alliterative name like a character from a Marvel comic: Peter Parker, Matt Murdock, Reed Richards, Steven Strange, J Jonah Jameson etc.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's a weird moment in all our lives. We will all remember what we were doing, this day, this hour, this pivotal juncture

War against whom?
  • Options
    This is great. Rigby live on Sky and hasn't got a fucking clue what he is going to say.
  • Options

Leon said:

War against whom?
    I'm afraid it's you - that's why you are the last to know.
  • Options

Leon said:

War against whom?
    That's defeatist talk, I'm sorry, but it is
  • Options
    I predict he'll announce a major terrorist plot has been discovered and foiled.
  • Options

I don't think George Galloway is real. He's got an alliterative name like a character from a Marvel comic: Peter Parker, Matt Murdock, Reed Richards, Steven Strange, J Jonah Jameson etc.

It's a J sound followed by a G sound. No alliteration?
  • Options
    I hope this is a Nothing Has Changed announcement. The media will flip out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

War against whom?
    That's defeatist talk, I'm sorry, but it is
    Defeatist in favour of whom? Russia? France? Woke AI Aliens? Muslims? Who are we declaring war against?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

I am going to start a petition to pronounce it "Jalloway"...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

This is great. Rigby live on Sky and hasn't got a fucking clue what he is going to say.

There's a crest on the podium. This means government business. Not an election.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    George Galloway's ego must be going through the roof if he thinks he's caused the PM to make a statement outside 10 Downing Street for the first time.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    TimS said:

I predict he'll announce a major terrorist plot has been discovered and foiled.

With its tentacles reaching right into the Office of the Leader of the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    I think we're in for a surprise. Sunak is going to announce that HS2 in full is to go ahead after all, to enable the newly-elected Member for Rochdale to get to Westminster more speedily.
  • Options

Yes. "Not an election". Ever again.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    14,505 people are watching the BBC News live stream of 10 Downing St

Edit: Now 15828
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Shit, I've been calling him Gorge Galloway this whole time and feel like a fool.
  • Options

Has she ever
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Has Galloway always been a nutter?

No , many many moons ago he was a brilliant left wingish MP, fantastic orator but went totally off the rails and became an absolute nutter.
  • Options

14,505 people are watching the BBC News live stream of 10 Downing St

Edit: Now 15828

All of them PBers.
    Ordinary people know that Rishi has nothing interesting to communicate whatsoever.
  • Options

In these febrous and changing times the one thing we can be sure will never alter is the podium crest rule.
  • Options
    Rishi Regency?
  • Options

I think we're in for a surprise. Sunak is going to announce that HS2 in full is to go ahead after all, to enable the newly-elected Member for Rochdale to get to Westminster more speedily.

Only if he is still the MP in, what, 40 years?
  • Options
    He's going to announce he's stepping down to let Liz have a second shot. Good on the bloke.
  • Options
    A flight to Rwanda has secretly taken off?
  • Options
    Not sure how wise it is to criticise the result of a democratic election a few hours ago.
  • Options
    edited March 1
    It’s a new regular GBNews slot.

PODIUM TALK with Rishi Sunak and a series of “hilarious guests from the worlds of light entertainment and crypto trading”.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,955
    He’s banning the wearing of the Fedora in public. If you can’t stop George at the ballot box, stop him leaving the house.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,480
    Radio London is currently playing Angels by Robbie Williams. What kind of bad news would that the the appropriate lead in for?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    It could be martial law, I guess.
This discussion has been closed.