Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The numbers that should worry Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

stodge said:

Evening all :)

In more "there must be an election coming" news, the Government has found £785 million to bail out Woking Borough Council.

https://www.wokingnewsandmail.co.uk/news/bankrupt-woking-borough-council-offered-ps765-million-government-bailout-but-has-to-increase-council-tax-668767

If you want to know the cost of years of Conservative mismanagement, there's part of it. Not much for the Woking residents who will face a 10% Council Tax rise in order for the Council to get the bailout or handout.

Will this help Jonathan Lord keep his seat or make no difference at all?

Jonathan Lord has been an MP since 2010, I discover. Has anybody heard of him, outside Woking (and maybe not even there)?
    Thought not. He has the thinnest Wiki entry for a long-standing MP I've ever looked at.
    The LDs have selected Paul Forster, the Deputy Leader of the Council, to fight the seat again. He'll need help from tactical voting from Labour supporters but on current polling it has to be a possible LD gain.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

ydoethur said:

Christian Horner.

What a tool.

Only fair outcome is to strip Red Bull and their drivers of all their titles.

I have to say, if some of the pictures out there are correct he doesn't seem to be that big a tool.

More Christian Hornier than I can cope with though.
    Given that Horner is a top motor sport sportsman (in more ways than one) does "it ain't the meat, it's the motion" apply?

AND, since this is (ostensibly) a betting site, what are the odds that Ms Halliwell did NOT know her hubby is (allegedly) a hot-to-trot horn-dog?

Of course THAT covers about 99.46% of the male population! But just sayin'.
    The current Mrs Horner was the mistress once, she should know that when the man marries the mistress he creates a vacancy.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    stodge said:

stodge said:

In more "there must be an election coming" news, the Government has found £785 million to bail out Woking Borough Council.

https://www.wokingnewsandmail.co.uk/news/bankrupt-woking-borough-council-offered-ps765-million-government-bailout-but-has-to-increase-council-tax-668767

If you want to know the cost of years of Conservative mismanagement, there's part of it. Not much for the Woking residents who will face a 10% Council Tax rise in order for the Council to get the bailout or handout.

Jonathan Lord has been an MP since 2010, I discover. Has anybody heard of him, outside Woking (and maybe not even there)?
    Thought not. He has the thinnest Wiki entry for a long-standing MP I've ever looked at.
    The LDs have selected Paul Forster, the Deputy Leader of the Council, to fight the seat again. He'll need help from tactical voting from Labour supporters but on current polling it has to be a possible LD gain.
    Yes, I've just had a look at the 2019 result. LD could well win it - Labour has no chance, so the swing away from the Tories combined with Labour tactical voting could do the trick.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited February 29

ydoethur said:

Christian Horner.

What a tool.

Only fair outcome is to strip Red Bull and their drivers of all their titles.

I have to say, if some of the pictures out there are correct he doesn't seem to be that big a tool.

More Christian Hornier than I can cope with though.
    Given that Horner is a top motor sport sportsman (in more ways than one) does "it ain't the meat, it's the motion" apply?

AND, since this is (ostensibly) a betting site, what are the odds that Ms Halliwell did NOT know her hubby is (allegedly) a hot-to-trot horn-dog?

Of course THAT covers about 99.46% of the male population! But just sayin'.
    I don't have a source but that strikes me as a significant overestimate of how many men are hot-to-trot horn-dogs.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    stodge said:

It's absolutely shocking that a tiny piddling shire district with responsibility for next to nothing (i.e. all the expensive services are the responsibility of the county council) could be given a financial bailout of that scale. £765m is roughly £10k EACH for every adult living in Woking. And apparently the scale of the financial problems facing Woking Council exceed even that.

What on earth were the Conservatives running the council up to?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,278
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"Rochdale's 30p Lament" is now on a permanent loop in my head

Because it is actually a GOOD rock song, with hilariously stupid lyrics

I must listen to it again, if I can find the link.
    I warn you, it doesn't go away

https://app.suno.ai/song/91270dcb-ef95-45f7-b6d2-acc5c3bb8a12
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681

stodge said:

It's absolutely shocking that a tiny piddling shire district with responsibility for next to nothing (i.e. all the expensive services are the responsibility of the county council) could be given a financial bailout of that scale. £765m is roughly £10k EACH for every adult living in Woking. And apparently the scale of the financial problems facing Woking Council exceed even that.

Do we expect similar bailouts for all the other skint councils, or is Woking special?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

o/t: Any views as to BA vs Virgin to the US?

(BA are often annoying, but they do deliver you reasonably reliably)

Are you paying? And is it west coast or east?
    Sorry @carnforth - missed this. Yes, I'm paying and east coast.
    I vote Virgin, but it is marginal, in Economy

Whatever you do, avoid American airlines of any kind. They are abysmal

They are so bad it is a mystery. They get away with customer service, in the USA, which would cause riots in Europe or East Asia
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

Yes, I've just had a look at the 2019 result. LD could well win it - Labour has no chance, so the swing away from the Tories combined with Labour tactical voting could do the trick.
    Not so fast:

Latest Redfield and Wilton Blue Wall Voting intention 11th Feb
    Change in voting share in Blue Wall seats compared to 2019 GE
    Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Woking is one of the R&W "Blue Wall" seats

Result of that swing applied to Woking using UNS:
    Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-blue-wall-voting-intention-11-february-2024/
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

They are so bad it is a mystery. They get away with customer service, in the USA, which would cause riots in Europe or East Asia
    Perhaps americans fly so often they consider it a bus - witness US airlines' attitute to overbooking - so they don't expect any more.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,283
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

Do we expect similar bailouts for all the other skint councils, or is Woking special?
    It does look a bit like special treatment.

If £10k each is the amount needed to bail out every council then the next government will have to find, um, £678 billion.

Eff all chance of that happening.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-blue-wall-voting-intention-11-february-2024/
    Those Blue Wall numbers are going to hide a very wide selection of outcomes.

If Labour is the challengers, then the LD vote is likely to all but disappear. If the LDs are seen as the challengers, their vote is likely to hold up pretty well.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited February 29
    Just had my Wessex Water half year bill - £935! Our usage has gone from 63 m3 (2022/23) to 225 m3 this winter.

Think we might have a leak somewhere :-( Just hoping it's at the meter then I can blame them.
  • Options

Just had my Wessex Water half year bill - £935!

Our usage has gone from 63 m3 (2022/23) to 225 m3 this winter.

Think we might have a leak somewhere :-( Just hoping it's at the meter then I can blame them.

That is why I always refused to get a water meter.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

It's despicable that water is metered anywhere in the UK.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Is it? Paying for what you use seems reasonable.
  • Options

How is it "despicable" that users pay for what they use?

That's just sensible.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

That's just sensible.
    Exactly: just like with road use, you should pay for what you use.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    rcs1000 said:

That's just sensible.
    Naughty.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

I think the Government is being forced to bail because Woking has absolutely no chance of ever restructuring and paying off debts of that size, given its tiny revenue base, and it has statutory obligations that it has to perform.

In the long run there will need to be complete reform of local authority finance, before most of the councils in the land go tits up, but the Tories doubtless view bequeathing that (extremely expensive) hot potato to Labour as one of the compensations of going into Opposition.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That's just sensible.
    Indeed, totally agreed.

Massively cheaper than paying for what you use, paying for train subsidies and paying billions to other crap like we do currently.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 825

Just had my Wessex Water half year bill - £935! Our usage has gone from 63 m3 (2022/23) to 225 m3 this winter.

Even if it’s you they’ll probably give you the money back - worth asking. We had a leaking toilet and I stupidly hugely underestimated how much water was leaking and thus our bill. The water company wrote it all off very easily.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    This video just came out from PBS on the demographic timebomb: https://youtu.be/o_mOHelAH44
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

Perhaps americans fly so often they consider it a bus - witness US airlines' attitute to overbooking - so they don't expect any more.
    Maybe. But they are living proof that either

1. Cut throat American capitalism does NOT produce better customer service (or cheaper tickets)

OR

2. Some kind of cartel is operating

I vote for 2. American airlines are just so shit I cannot see why a European or Asian competitor would not break in and steal the entire market, unless the present airlines are somehow protected from that competition
  • Options

That is why I always refused to get a water meter.
    I pay £23.49 per month, unmetered. It's a listed building, which might prevent the installation of meters. Up to the owners though - I just remain thankful.
  • Options
    maxh said:

Even if it’s you they’ll probably give you the money back - worth asking. We had a leaking toilet and I stupidly hugely underestimated how much water was leaking and thus our bill. The water company wrote it all off very easily.
    Thanks, yes I will try that.

We've checked the obvious - I fear it's something underground on the way into the house.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

1. Cut throat American capitalism does NOT produce better customer service (or cheaper tickets)

OR

I vote for 2. American airlines are just so shit I cannot see why a European or Asian competitor would not break in and steal the entire market, unless the present airlines are somehow protected from that competition
    Well, there is no seventh and ninth freedom:

https://www.icao.int/pages/freedomsair.aspx

A UK airline can operate flights from paris to milan, for example, becuase we have those agreements with the EU. But a UK airline can't do New York to Chicago, unless the flight starts outside the US - then it can pick up some domestic passengers at New York - the fifth freedom.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

OR

American consumers have a very protectionist mindset. I'd imagine they'd be very resistant to a foreign entrant to the airline market for patriotic reasons.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 609
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

They have a startlingly puritanical attitude on transatlantic flights - for instance, United charge extra for alcohol ($10 for a mini bottle of wine), and only serve it after meal service has finished. And they always run out halfway through, so you'll get nothing at all if you're sitting near the back. And god forbid you ask for a second bottle - they'll look at you as if you've been personally responsible for drinking their entire stock dry.

They fly creaky old planes, too - they only got rid of their ancient 747s with 1980s inflight entertainment about five years ago.

Honestly, Ryanair is better.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

OR

A UK airline can operate flights from paris to milan, for example, becuase we have those agreements with the EU. But a UK airline can't do New York to Chicago, unless the flight starts outside the US - then it can pick up some domestic passengers at New York - the fifth freedom.
    So, a cartel
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

I think the Government is being forced to bail because Woking has absolutely no chance of ever restructuring and paying off debts of that size, given its tiny revenue base, and it has statutory obligations that it has to perform.

In the long run there will need to be complete reform of local authority finance, before most of the councils in the land go tits up, but the Tories doubtless view bequeathing that (extremely expensive) hot potato to Labour as one of the compensations of going into Opposition.
    19 councils "getting" £2.5 billion between them, either as permission to borrow, or to direct proceeds from selling things off to revenue spending;

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/29/english-councils-bailout-agreements-capitalisation-directions

That clanging sound you can hear is 19 cans being kicked to after the General Election.

• Options
    edited February 29

Surprised a free-marketeer like you wants profligate water users subsidised by others.

Assuming we do have a leak, there would be no incentive for us to get it fixed if we weren't metered.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

OR

So, a cartel
    Yes, but it's reciprocal. We don't allow Southwest or Spirit to run Aberdeen to London flights. Though I suspect we would if the agreement could be made, mutually.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

If Labour is the challengers, then the LD vote is likely to all but disappear. If the LDs are seen as the challengers, their vote is likely to hold up pretty well.
    Indeed.

You need to bear in mind though that in different circumstances the LDs would be seen as the clear challengers to the Conservatives in about 2/3rds of the R&W seats, and Labour in only about 1/3rds.

So with so many of these seats being potentially fertile territory for the LDs, it should be concerning to them that in the Blue Wall seats their aggregate share of vote has according to R&W gone backwards in from the 27% they got in 2019 in not just this one poll but every one of the 27 Blue Wall polls so far conducted by R&W.

So it's now a lot less obvious in many of those seats that the LDs should be seen as the challengers. In some the LDs still very clearly (e.g. Cheltenham). In some Labour are (e.g. Reading West). And then there are a lot more that are now more indeterminate in terms of tactical voting, of which I would count Woking as one.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

19 councils "getting" £2.5 billion between them, either as permission to borrow, or to direct proceeds from selling things off to revenue spending;

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/29/english-councils-bailout-agreements-capitalisation-directions

That clanging sound you can hear is 19 cans being kicked to after the General Election.
    This is going to be massively expensive to fix during the next Parliament. It's not the only chicken coming home to roost.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,276

Surprised a free-marketeer like you wants profligate water users subsidised by others.

Assuming we do have a leak, there would be no incentive for us to get it fixed if we weren't metered.
    Which might be suboptimal for your foundations, depending on where it is.
  • Options

If you had a leak you'd have no water supply :lol:
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

Came home from holiday a couple of years ago to a letter from Wessex water suggesting we’re going to get a higher bill than normal. It sure was - over a thousand pounds. Clearly a leak somewhere. Turned out to be under our house, sadly after the water entered the house (weird route upstairs then down under the kitchen floor, where the leak must have been). Had to re route the pipe (will be fully sorted shortly when the kitchen is refitted). Oddly never saw any dampness or any indication.
    Wessex were really good and waived the excess use, which they didn’t have to do.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    pigeon said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

It's a very large hot potato as it includes the funding of social care for adults and vulnerable children so it'll be intriguing to say if either Conservative or Labour manifesto offer anything other than platitudes.

Council Tax is still based on 30 year old property valuations and there's no provision for higher value properties to pay anywhere near a proportional cost. Do we embrace Land Value taxation or some other form of property wealth tax or do we look at a substantial shif tin funds from central to local Government?
  • Options
    RobD said:

We should pay our share of the infrastructure costs for getting the water to us. The water itself should not be metered - it is a natural resource that we are blessed with an immense abundance of, and it should be used and enjoyed.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

Indeed.

You need to bear in mind though that in different circumstances the LDs would be seen as the clear challengers to the Conservatives in about 2/3rds of the R&W seats, and Labour in only about 1/3rds.

So with so many of these seats being potentially fertile territory for the LDs, it should be concerning to them that in the Blue Wall seats their aggregate share of vote has according to R&W gone backwards in from the 27% they got in 2019 in not just this one poll but every one of the 27 Blue Wall polls so far conducted by R&W.

So it's now a lot less obvious in many of those seats that the LDs should be seen as the challengers. In some the LDs still very clearly (e.g. Cheltenham). In some Labour are (e.g. Reading West). And then there are a lot more that are now more indeterminate in terms of tactical voting, of which I would count Woking as one.
    Woking is bankrupt. Not a good example.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

This is going to be massively expensive to fix during the next Parliament. It's not the only chicken coming home to roost.
    Next up: wholly fictitious election manifestos from both the Tories and Labour, in which they pretend that the problem doesn't exist.
  • Options

RobD said:

We should pay our share of the infrastructure costs for getting the water to us. The water itself should not be metered - it is a natural resource that we are blessed with an immense abundance of, and it should be used and enjoyed.
    If you want to drink untreated rainwater then put a bucket in your garden and drink from that.

If you want filtered and treated water then that costs money and the user should pay for what they use.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

Indeed.

I'd have thought it's an excellent example, as it went bankrupt under the Conservatives, and the Lib Dems were the very clear electoral beneficiaries.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

They have a startlingly puritanical attitude on transatlantic flights - for instance, United charge extra for alcohol ($10 for a mini bottle of wine), and only serve it after meal service has finished. And they always run out halfway through, so you'll get nothing at all if you're sitting near the back. And god forbid you ask for a second bottle - they'll look at you as if you've been personally responsible for drinking their entire stock dry.

They fly creaky old planes, too - they only got rid of their ancient 747s with 1980s inflight entertainment about five years ago.

It's true. Amazingly enough

The cheapest European/Asian budget airlines are probably better than the mainstream US carriers

Plus all the flight attendants on US carriers are bitter old people in their 60s who think they should be doing a nicer job (or be retired) so they exude hostility and entitlement and basically throw a packet of peanuts in your face and scowl as they do it. like you are lucky to get a mini-pretzel

They are fucking dreadful. And don't get me on to the food. OMG

And the airports are brutally expensive. AND on top of all this flying internally in America is no longer cheap

You can fly around Europe or Asia for less than half the price

• Options

RobD said:

But that infrastructure is limited in capacity. Why shouldn't people who consume more pay a higher proportion of the cost?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

My printer has stopped working

Didn't we tell you weeks ago to buy a laser printer?
    Don't have room

Anyway I have solved it, I've worked out that if I spend half an hour crouching besides my printer with my laptop physically plugged into the printer mechanism, then I can easily get my wifi printer to print 5 sheets of A4 in about 70 minutes
    Do you live in a telephone box or something? What do you mean you don't have room?. I have a very old laser printer and it is quite small. The one before that was diddy.
    There are quite a few with a footprint not much larger than an inkjet.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,941
    stodge said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

It's a very large hot potato as it includes the funding of social care for adults and vulnerable children so it'll be intriguing to say if either Conservative or Labour manifesto offer anything other than platitudes.

Council Tax is still based on 30 year old property valuations and there's no provision for higher value properties to pay anywhere near a proportional cost. Do we embrace Land Value taxation or some other form of property wealth tax or do we look at a substantial shif tin funds from central to local Government?
    Our Pledge

1. To kick the can further down the road.
    2. No increases in anything.
    3. Apart from property prices and gains from unearned income.
    4. Go f**k yourselves.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    edited February 29

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

Indeed.

I'd have thought it's an excellent example, as it went bankrupt under the Conservatives, and the Lib Dems were the very clear electoral beneficiaries.
    As forecast by our very own @Heathener at the time
  • Options
    Latest R&W Red Wall polling also out. Wiki don't appear to have noticed yet.

Vote shares with changes in 2019 result in brackets

Lab 49% (+11%)
    Con 25% (-22%)
    Reform 14% (+7%)
    LD 6% (+1%)

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-red-wall-voting-intention-25-february-2024/

• Options
    edited February 29
    Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

The cheapest European/Asian budget airlines are probably better than the mainstream US carriers

Plus all the flight attendants on US carriers are bitter old people in their 60s who think they should be doing a nicer job (or be retired) so they exude hostility and entitlement and basically throw a packet of peanuts in your face and scowl as they do it. like you are lucky to get a mini-pretzel

And the airports are brutally expensive. AND on top of all this flying internally in America is no longer cheap

Ha, I was going to mention the age thing but I'm clearly far too polite. I've been told it's because they put staff with the greatest seniority on their longest haul flights, but if that's the case why don't other country's airlines behave in the same way?

As you've noted, Air France do this right. Aperitif as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off, wine choices that more or less pair with the meals on offer, digestif offered at the same time as they clear the meal away. Then another drink or two offered before you drift off to sleep... and at that point, who cares if they fly the occasional plane into the sea for no particular reason?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

Indeed.

The invisibility of the LDs, lack of distinct policies and the mind numbing blandness of Starmer makes it very likely that there will be more Blue Wall gains for Labour than the LDs.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited February 29

Lab 49% (+11%)
    Con 25% (-22%)
    Reform 14% (+7%)
    LD 6% (+1%)

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-red-wall-voting-intention-25-february-2024/

Deleted
  • Options

RobD said:

If you want to drink untreated rainwater then put a bucket in your garden and drink from that.

If you want filtered and treated water then that costs money and the user should pay for what they use.
    It’s barely 15 months ago following a hot summer and a dry autumn that there was a real worry some areas might run critically short of water.

How quickly we forget.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

stodge said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Our Pledge

1. To kick the can further down the road.
    2. No increases in anything.
    3. Apart from property prices and gains from unearned income.
    4. Go f**k yourselves.
    Pretty much. There's not a cigarette paper to put between the blue and red Tories on any matter of real substance. This is because a critical mass of the electorate consists of ageing and elderly homeowners who don't want to pay for anything, and nearly all the politicians also belong to that class or expect to join it.

British politics is all about transferring whatever wealth is left in the economy upwards and that's it. The rest is an elaborate performance.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,226
    Pro_Rata said:

HYUFD said:

Rather puzzling to me that the LDs don't seem to have put much effort into Rochdale. There surely is a large, one would hope, not antisemite and not Brexit true believer seam that they could have very profitably mined.

The Rochdale seat was Liberal from 1970 to 1992 and 2001-2010 so they certainly have history there.

Post Brexit though and with Labour not in government yet they aren't going to have much hope in by elections in Labour seats and Galloway has taken the Gaza protest vote
    I suspect the LDs looked at it and thought, are we going to spend our target seats money defending Rochdale in a few months time? And the answer was "No?"

Plus, few ideas for an overly literal Ed Davey victory stunt.

I still feel they are value, more 14s than 50s, at a narrow intersection where the Labour vote drops down and the Galloway vote edges up.

But, with money on, I would say that wouldn't I? DYOR.
    Rochdale is one of those "plug" seats where the boundaries have tended to vary quite alot, and they are changing again for the next GE, so the seat has had a lot of new voters, over and above the also significant demographic changes. The Lib Dems are fighting a seat very different from the past, and the habit of voting Lib Dem has likely been lost.
  • Options

Came home from holiday a couple of years ago to a letter from Wessex water suggesting we’re going to get a higher bill than normal. It sure was - over a thousand pounds. Clearly a leak somewhere. Turned out to be under our house, sadly after the water entered the house (weird route upstairs then down under the kitchen floor, where the leak must have been). Had to re route the pipe (will be fully sorted shortly when the kitchen is refitted). Oddly never saw any dampness or any indication.
    Wessex were really good and waived the excess use, which they didn’t have to do.
    I had a leaking hose tap some years ago and ever since I check my water meter reading and record it once a week

I also make sure my outside hose taps are turned off at the outside tap and not at the hose nosel
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Cicero said:

Pro_Rata said:

HYUFD said:

Rather puzzling to me that the LDs don't seem to have put much effort into Rochdale. There surely is a large, one would hope, not antisemite and not Brexit true believer seam that they could have very profitably mined.

The Rochdale seat was Liberal from 1970 to 1992 and 2001-2010 so they certainly have history there.

Post Brexit though and with Labour not in government yet they aren't going to have much hope in by elections in Labour seats and Galloway has taken the Gaza protest vote
    I suspect the LDs looked at it and thought, are we going to spend our target seats money defending Rochdale in a few months time? And the answer was "No?"

I still feel they are value, more 14s than 50s, at a narrow intersection where the Labour vote drops down and the Galloway vote edges up.

Rochdale is one of those "plug" seats where the boundaries have tended to vary quite alot, and they are changing again for the next GE, so the seat has had a lot of new voters, over and above the also significant demographic changes. The Lib Dems are fighting a seat very different from the past, and the habit of voting Lib Dem has likely been lost.
    A very good and often overlooked point.
    But. What is a "plug" seat? I haven't heard that term before.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

Indeed.

Woking isn't working.
    Perhaps Woking could insert "e" between "k" and "i" in order to obtain support & sustenance from The Blog?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited February 29
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

It’s barely 15 months ago following a hot summer and a dry autumn that there was a real worry some areas might run critically short of water.

How quickly we forget.
    And at the first sign of warm weather the water companies will be panic flapping and declaring hosepipe bans again. To illustrate the necessity of hiking bills to "invest in infrastructure," which is code for robbing the consumer and shipping all the loot to Dubai, whilst leaving the decrepit, leaky water system to go on collapsing as before.

Apparently the latest wheeze from the shysters at Thames Water is a demand to allow bills to be hiked by 40%, fines for pumping shit into the rivers to be cut to almost nothing AND a right to carry on paying out dividends, in exchange for the privilege of further "investment." What should be done is that the shareholders should be told to fuck off and the company allowed to go bankrupt and renationalised for nothing. What will actually happen is that they'll be given everything that they want so that the useless politicians can continue to deflect blame onto the water company rather than this disaster being the direct responsibility of our utterly hopeless and worthless Government and Parliament.

They all just want to play at being in office and enjoy the titles and the salaries, whilst doing nothing of any value. It's just a game for them.
    Thames Water is a wonderful metaphor for the entire British economy, nay, all of British life.
    If Dickens were alive today, he’d he writing about them.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

Ha, I was going to mention the age thing but I'm clearly far too polite. I've been told it's because they put staff with the greatest seniority on their longest haul flights, but if that's the case why don't other country's airlines behave in the same way?

As you've noted, Air France do this right. Aperitif as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off, wine choices that more or less pair with the meals on offer, digestif offered at the same time as they clear the meal away. Then another drink or two offered before you drift off to sleep... and at that point, who cares if they fly the occasional plane into the sea for no particular reason?
    Air France are pretty good, BA can be good on a good day, Lufthansa are tolerable, likewise Swissair, KLM has a charm....

But really all the best airlines are the rich Arab airlines or East Asians (Singapore, Eva, etc)

Then come the European airlines mentioned, plus Qantas, Turkish, and a couple of others

Then the good budget airlines: Easyjet, Ryaniar. Nothing plush but do the job, and are better value than most

Way way down below this are the American airlines which are barely better than the richer national carriers in LatAm or Africa. Often remarkably bad
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Lab 49% (+11%)
    Con 25% (-22%)
    Reform 14% (+7%)
    LD 6% (+1%)

Would the last Tory leaving the Red Wall please turn out the lights...
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

How quickly we forget.
    And at the first sign of warm weather the water companies will be panic flapping and declaring hosepipe bans again. To illustrate the necessity of hiking bills to "invest in infrastructure," which is code for robbing the consumer and shipping all the loot to Dubai, whilst leaving the decrepit, leaky water system to go on collapsing as before.

Apparently the latest wheeze from the shysters at Thames Water is a demand to allow bills to be hiked by 40%, fines for pumping shit into the rivers to be cut to almost nothing AND a right to carry on paying out dividends, in exchange for the privilege of further "investment." What should be done is that the shareholders should be told to fuck off and the company allowed to go bankrupt and renationalised for nothing. What will actually happen is that they'll be given everything that they want so that the useless politicians can continue to deflect blame onto the water company rather than this disaster being the direct responsibility of our utterly hopeless and worthless Government and Parliament.

They all just want to play at being in office and enjoy the titles and the salaries, whilst doing nothing of any value. It's just a game for them.
    Because, unfortunately, if Thames Water goes down three pension funds will go down with it.

That's a pretty unpleasant reflection of the stupidity of the managers of certain pension funds, but it means the bastards have us over a barrel.

Equally, my essential point stands. We don't actually have an abundance of water in England in particular due to inadequate storage and chronic overuse. We're only ever two dry winters away from trouble. Metering is actually a fairly easy way of helping to address the latter, even if it's hardly a panacea.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,669
    edited February 29
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

Aer Lingus are pretty good AFAIK. Also you go through US security in Ireland which means you can just walk off the plane when you arrive.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

How quickly we forget.

It feels like these utilities all need a giant shakeup of one sort or another every 25-30 years or so, otherwise they turn to shit (quite literally in Thames Water's case).

Water privatisation worked well in the 90s and raised a vast amount of capital to allow us to meet the Drinking Water Quality Directive. But they've been coasting for years, playing risky financial games which have now blown up in their face.

No public bailouts - if they go bust, let the government scoop up the remains and try some new system for the next 25 years. Maybe a lease or concession model, with short-term management contracts to tide us over until that's sorted out?
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

Plenty of vids on YouTube of drunken a-holes on airplanes.

NOT saying you are one of them, indeed willing to swear/affirm that you ain't.

So why not buy a few pre-flight mini-bottles at a convenient convenience store? Then if the airline is trying to dry out the bad alcoholics, no problemo for you. And IF you get your fill of booze in-flight, still have a couple of minis available in case of snakebite or other emergencies.

In interests of quasi-full disclosure, yours truly never imbibes on airplanes, just doesn't agree with me.

And have refrained from carbonated beverages, ever since it dawned on me (took years!) that Coca-cola, 7-up, etc. were root (ahem) reason why I was so frequently flatulent when flying.

So feel free to poo-pooh my in-put on grounds I'm toooooo much of a freaking freak on this topic, even by PB standards!
  • Options

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

How quickly we forget.

Thames Water is a wonderful metaphor for the entire British economy, nay, all of British life.
    If Dickens were alive today, he’d he writing about them.
    Ilford's theoretically in the Thames Water catchment area, but the town's actual water supply is provided by Essex & Suffolk. Thames Water look after sewerage.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,669
    "Andrew Neil in conversation with John Major | SpectatorTV"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDSr1nnZSA
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Not so fast:

Con -20%
    LD -6%
    Lab +17%

Con 29%
    LD 25%
    Lab 33%

Indeed.

Woking isn't working.
    Perhaps Woking could insert "e" between "k" and "i" in order to obtain support & sustenance from The Blog?
    It could become the playground of the wokerati. Statue-toppling in the town square every week. Pronoun lanyards provided at the gates.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

RobD said:

But that infrastructure is limited in capacity. Why shouldn't people who consume more pay a higher proportion of the cost?
    If we're being accurate, they are borrowing it and returning it immediately, as are we all.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

How quickly we forget.

It feels like these utilities all need a giant shakeup of one sort or another every 25-30 years or so, otherwise they turn to shit (quite literally in Thames Water's case).

Water privatisation worked well in the 90s and raised a vast amount of capital to allow us to meet the Drinking Water Quality Directive. But they've been coasting for years, playing risky financial games which have now blown up in their face.

No public bailouts - if they go bust, let the government scoop up the remains and try some new system for the next 25 years. Maybe a lease or concession model, with short-term management contracts to tide us over until that's sorted out?
    No bailouts under any circumstances.

If they're bankrupt, then that's their problem, nobody else's.

Do a shit job, get burnt. That's the free market. Their shareholders and creditors should carry full responsibility for their actions.

Let the firm go into bankruptcy and let another firm (public or private) buy the assets for pennies on the pound without the debts and the creditors get those pennies on the pound for bad investments they've made.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

RobD said:

If we're being accurate, they are borrowing it and returning it immediately, as are we all.
    But not in the same condition as they 'borrowed' it.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    For @MattW -
    Windows actually comes with a programme that will di what you want (but you have to dig a little): Photos Legacy.

Follow the instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-photos-legacy-61255007-a189-4a02-8193-6ba18e5f96d3

You can create and insert title slides, clip videos, stitch clips together, add soundtracks, etc.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

RobD said:

But not in the same condition as they 'borrowed' it.
    True.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

RobD said:

So you're content to drink unfiltered, untreated urine?

I expect better quality than that, but if that's all you want to not pay for it . . .
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Cicero said:

Pro_Rata said:

HYUFD said:

I'm working on the basis that the constituency sustained a 17.5% LD vote on current boundaries in the local elections, far higher than a lot of working Northern towns, and that this will hold up and add a smallish slice of the more centrist Labour vote in places like Milnrow.

So, my working assumption, different from many on here, is that LDs can quite readily access more than 20% of the vote on current boundaries, in an election where the winning line is likely to be sub-30%, so I do just see the possibility, even without a big campaign.

Well soon know if I'm wide of the mark.
  • Options

I had a leaking hose tap some years ago and ever since I check my water meter reading and record it once a week

I also make sure my outside hose taps are turned off at the outside tap and not at the hose nosel
    It's not very easy to check your water meter regularly, at least it's not easy to check ours: we'd have to go out into the road, lift a cover for which we don;'t have the right tool and peer into a hole to a meter that is often underwater due, ironically, to a natural spring that exits there.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

RobD said:

I expect better quality than that, but if that's all you want to not pay for it . . .
    I think Lucky may be taking the piss.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

RobD said:

Or he's full of shit.
  • Options
    Do we know what time we're expecting the declaration at Rotherham?

• Options
    Not sure sure IF this has been noted/discussed on PB, but last week's ruling by Alabama state supreme court that embryos are people too, has really got the snakes stirred up.

Specifically, Republican solons and their mouthpieces in Montgomery AND Washington, DC rushing to mitigate (to put it mildly) this ruling which shuts down (ditto) IVF clinics for women wanting to bear children despite fertility issues.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2024/the-alabama-supreme-courts-ruling-on-frozen-embryos

"The Alabama Supreme Court issued a ruling on February 16 declaring that embryos created through in vitro fertilization (IVF) should be considered children. Several of the state’s IVF clinics have since paused services, and lawmakers, doctors, and patients are raising concerns about the far-ranging impacts of the ruling on health care, including reproductive technology."

One of the first off the bat was Alabama US Sen. "Coach" Tommy Tuberville (the thinking-man's Hershel Walker) the same guy who held up US military appointments for months (or was it years?) to burnish his own anti-abortion credentials.

Seems that while crazed Catholics mostly concur (at least in the breach) with the ruling, which concurs with current church doctrine, evangelical Protestants - much thicker on the ground in most of Alabama - are split on the issue.

Besides GOPers legislators & congresspeople falling over themselves trying to square this circle, the real potential political impact for 2024 appear to be, further making the Democratic case that the Republican Party is a standing menace to reproductive freedom of choice - NOT just abortion, but birth control, in either direction.

IF this is unpopular in Alabama, just imagine how it poorly it's playing in Peoria.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Rochdale!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

May 3rd

(Or some time in October/November)
  • Options

Not sure sure IF this has been noted/discussed on PB, but last week's ruling by Alabama state supreme court that embryos are people too, has really got the snakes stirred up.

Specifically, Republican solons and their mouthpieces in Montgomery AND Washington, DC rushing to mitigate (to put it mildly) this ruling which shuts down (ditto) IVF clinics for women wanting to bear children despite fertility issues.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2024/the-alabama-supreme-courts-ruling-on-frozen-embryos

"The Alabama Supreme Court issued a ruling on February 16 declaring that embryos created through in vitro fertilization (IVF) should be considered children. Several of the state’s IVF clinics have since paused services, and lawmakers, doctors, and patients are raising concerns about the far-ranging impacts of the ruling on health care, including reproductive technology."

One of the first off the bat was Alabama US Sen. "Coach" Tommy Tuberville (the thinking-man's Hershel Walker) the same guy who held up US military appointments for months (or was it years?) to burnish his own anti-abortion credentials.

Seems that while crazed Catholics mostly concur (at least in the breach) with the ruling, which concurs with current church doctrine, evangelical Protestants - much thicker on the ground in most of Alabama - are split on the issue.

Besides GOPers legislators & congresspeople falling over themselves trying to square this circle, the real potential political impact for 2024 appear to be, further making the Democratic case that the Republican Party is a standing menace to reproductive freedom of choice - NOT just abortion, but birth control, in either direction.

IF this is unpopular in Alabama, just imagine how it poorly it's playing in Peoria.

'solons'?

(Also, I have to confess I'd never heard of Peoria. Then again, most Americans I meet have never heard of Dorset.)
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

RobD said:

Or he's full of shit.
    That's a given.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RTÉ were suggesting that voting was particularly slow. There might not be many votes to count.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Andy_JS said:

"Andrew Neil in conversation with John Major | SpectatorTV"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDSr1nnZSA

Andrew Neil in conversation with John Major. It’s like the 1990s never ended.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Who's favourite now in Rochdale? I heard it was back with Labour.
  • Options

It's not very easy to check your water meter regularly, at least it's not easy to check ours: we'd have to go out into the road, lift a cover for which we don;'t have the right tool and peer into a hole to a meter that is often underwater due, ironically, to a natural spring that exits there.
    I do lift the street cover just with a screwdriver and use a torch when necessary to read the meter

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

'solons'?

(Also, I have to confess I'd never heard of Peoria. Then again, most Americans I meet have never heard of Dorset.)
    Will it play in Peoria?
    Is the equivalent of what the man on the Clapham omnibus might think.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

Lab 49% (+11%)
    Con 25% (-22%)
    Reform 14% (+7%)
    LD 6% (+1%)

SKS fans please explain.

Raynergate kicking in.

Etc.

Etc.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

carnforth said:

Omnium said:

Air France are pretty good, BA can be good on a good day, Lufthansa are tolerable, likewise Swissair, KLM has a charm....

But really all the best airlines are the rich Arab airlines or East Asians (Singapore, Eva, etc)

Then come the European airlines mentioned, plus Qantas, Turkish, and a couple of others

Then the good budget airlines: Easyjet, Ryaniar. Nothing plush but do the job, and are better value than most

Way way down below this are the American airlines which are barely better than the richer national carriers in LatAm or Africa. Often remarkably bad
    I fly a lot to and from Finland (2.5 hours) and just view this question in terms of just getting from A to B. I did conclude though that it is worth paying for better seats if you want to work on a laptop during the flight as I do, but you can do that on Ryanair and it is quite reasonably priced.

My favourite airline is actually air baltic, very comfortable, brand new planes, comfortable seats, high quality airline (government owned), they put an effort in to the food and service, Riga is a very good transit airport. they actually chill the beer that they sell, the cans are large (440ml).

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

How quickly we forget.

Labour should pledge to renationalise the chiselling privateer twats; let Sunak defend them (if he is so inclined).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

'solons'?

Will it play in Peoria?
    Is the equivalent of what the man on the Clapham omnibus might think.
    Thanks, now vaguely familiar.
  • Options

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

How quickly we forget.

Labour should pledge to renationalise the chiselling privateer twats; let Sunak defend them (if he is so inclined).
    Let them go bust first and renationalise them for a £1.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857

Anyone staying up for Rochdale?!

I'm not!

Enjoy it 👍

Think I might stay up for it, yeah.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Rochdale!
    Er,,, Oh yeah! 😂
This discussion has been closed.