Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The numbers that should worry Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

AlsoLei said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Betfair has moved very sharply to Labour for Rochdale today, to the point of crossover - the "Labour" candidate is now a narrow favourite. No idea whether that's just profit=taking or a genuine reaction to impressions on the ground.

I thought Labour had disowned their candidate due to him being an antisemite?
    He's still on the ballot paper as the Labour candidate, because it happened too late to change.
    His victory speech will certainly be interesting (if he does indeed win)

Presumably SKS won't be rushing up to Rochdale in the morning.
    Whoever wins is going to have a strange few months as an MP, assuming a different Labour candidate will most likely win the seat at the next general election.
    I assume that, as he would have been elected as the Labour candidate, he'd automatically become a member of the PLP - and that SKS will actively have to suspend or expel him. Which may or may not cause further problems.

All a bit of a mess, and I can see MoonRabbit's point that Labour might in many ways prefer someone else to win.
    I don't think that's an issue. But his mere presence in the Commons will cause issues. If any other Labour MP is seen talking to him that potentially raises questions, as does anything he might say in the chamber. A right mess alright.
    Yes, but when the alternative is George Galloway...
    Well the good news is that even if Galloway gets in we'll not have long until he gets thrown back out again in a GE.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728

AlsoLei said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Betfair has moved very sharply to Labour for Rochdale today, to the point of crossover - the "Labour" candidate is now a narrow favourite. No idea whether that's just profit=taking or a genuine reaction to impressions on the ground.

He's still on the ballot paper as the Labour candidate, because it happened too late to change.

Whoever wins is going to have a strange few months as an MP, assuming a different Labour candidate will most likely win the seat at the next general election.
    I assume that, as he would have been elected as the Labour candidate, he'd automatically become a member of the PLP - and that SKS will actively have to suspend or expel him. Which may or may not cause further problems.

All a bit of a mess, and I can see MoonRabbit's point that Labour might in many ways prefer someone else to win.
    I don't think that's an issue. But his mere presence in the Commons will cause issues. If any other Labour MP is seen talking to him that potentially raises questions, as does anything he might say in the chamber. A right mess alright.
    I'm hoping for a good vote for the Just Stop Oil vicar.
    What's his position on holy oil?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,081
    148grss said:

Is this why Haley is running?

So she can get Republican voters used to the idea of voting against Trump, and so that she can help to stop Trump winning in the general?

I think she's staying in the race in case the party decides to kick Trump off the ballot if he is convicted and she'd be the only official candidate left? Or she just really believes that Trump is beyond the pale (doubtful).
    Both

A powerful combination of principle and self-interest
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,375

AlsoLei said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Holy water should be good enough for everyone.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

So she can get Republican voters used to the idea of voting against Trump, and so that she can help to stop Trump winning in the general?

I think she's staying in the race in case the party decides to kick Trump off the ballot if he is convicted and she'd be the only official candidate left? Or she just really believes that Trump is beyond the pale (doubtful).
    If Trump is convicted in his March Stormy Daniels falsified records case he could be in jail by the time of the GOP convention in July yet having already won a majority of delegates. However by staying in the race Haley will have won delegates too and hope to convince some Trump delegates to defect to her to avoid a GOP nominee running his campaign from his prison cell
    The comedy value which was the past Trump presidency can only be exceeded by a new tenure from a prison cell.
    This feels like series 6 - the narrative arc sucks
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131

148grss said:

Both

And showing what she can do for a run in 2028. The Trump faithful might be unforgiving, but they will be dying breed by then.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,265

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

If Trump is convicted in his March Stormy Daniels falsified records case he could be in jail by the time of the GOP convention in July yet having already won a majority of delegates. However by staying in the race Haley will have won delegates too and hope to convince some Trump delegates to defect to her to avoid a GOP nominee running his campaign from his prison cell
    The comedy value which was the past Trump presidency can only be exceeded by a new tenure from a prison cell.
    This feels like series 6 - the narrative arc sucks
    It's been all downhill since the peak of the "Four Seasons Total Landscaping" press conference
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,701
    Two random off topic comments:

1. After paying for a bit of parking on the PayByPhone app I counted up how many parking apps I have on my phone. 11. Time for government to force through a national monopoly.
    2. I have been enjoying a bag of Torres “fried egg flavour” crisps for the first time, bought in a small grocery shop in Totnes a while back. A complete revelation. Anyone else tried them? I’d say are closest in taste to a really nice Spanish omelette.

• Options

leak of postal votes?
    40 seconds update from Starsports says they've been laying Ali/Lab since yesterday. Also money for rag David Tully.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStdQJP0ksY
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,926
    HYUFD said:

Albeit a lot of Haley voters are Independents not Republicans.

However Trump did win Independents in 2016 but lost them in 2020 so where they go could be crucial if most Haley voters vote Biden or stay home in November

A lot of Haley backers and voters are Democrats, trying their best to keep her in the race.
  • Options
    Way offtopic, and with no links, it looks like the Christian Horner case just took a rather dramatic turn. Not sure Mrs Horner will be a happy bunny tonight.
  • Options

148grss said:

Both

And showing what she can do for a run in 2028. The Trump faithful might be unforgiving, but they will be dying breed by then.
    Trouble is she’s relying on the told-you-so moment of vindication. Many politicians have held on to the hope of one of those moments and most have fallen by the wayside. And he who wields the knife never wears the crown.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,982
    Rather puzzling to me that the LDs don't seem to have put much effort into Rochdale. There surely is a large, one would hope, not antisemite and not Brexit true believer seam that they could have very profitably mined.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Right: I'm going to say this because I can't stop thinking about it, and I might get a slightly more sympathetic hearing here than I have done IRL.

I started rewatching the Ipcress File last night, 20-odd years after I first saw it. And it struck me in the opening scene that the train from London to Nottingham was scheduled to call at RUGBY, Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield. And it struck me - that must be the old Great Central route out of Marylebone!
    Going to be hard for the rest of the film to live up to that early excitement.

I've tried telling people IRL this and they're not really interested.

The Sun as a broadsheet is arguably more interesting. I expect someone somewhere will have checked if he picked any winners.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    MattW said:

Well, I've edited my first video with Da Vinci.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzvQjUUFny8

Not very scintillating, but gives a good idea why a lot of people riding cycles are pushed onto the roads, and why a lot of people who use mobility aids can't go anywhere, and why many don't go anywhere in the evenings.

Here the alternative route across the motorway is a traffic island doing 100k vehicles or more per day, and no crossings or footway (but space for one, of course).

Quite impressed with Da Vinci.

Does it Code?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,386
    My printer has stopped working
  • Options

148grss said:

Both

Yes
  • Options

148grss said:

Both

Yes, Haley needs to show that she and not Ron DeSantis will be frontrunner in 2028.
  • Options

Rather puzzling to me that the LDs don't seem to have put much effort into Rochdale. There surely is a large, one would hope, not antisemite and not Brexit true believer seam that they could have very profitably mined.

Yes it’s surprising and not as if they don’t have council seats and local targets in the region. Possibly just a bit last minute. A real shame too that the Lib Dem candidate wasn’t a woman, given the single sex line up.

• Options
    Leon said:

Didn't we tell you weeks ago to buy a laser printer?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,712

AlsoLei said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

The Commons is currently heaving with independent MPs who got kicked out of their parties. One more ain’t gonna make much difference.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,860
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Not very scintillating, but gives a good idea why a lot of people riding cycles are pushed onto the roads, and why a lot of people who use mobility aids can't go anywhere, and why many don't go anywhere in the evenings.

Here the alternative route across the motorway is a traffic island doing 100k vehicles or more per day, and no crossings or footway (but space for one, of course).

Does it Code?
    Was genuinely wondering if Rosslyn Chapel and conspiracy theories had become the latest folk devil and moral panic to afflict PB!
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Does it Code?
    Was genuinely wondering if Rosslyn Chapel and conspiracy theories had become the latest folk devil and moral panic to afflict PB!
    I hope so. I'm browned off with AI.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,712
    TimS said:

Yes it’s surprising and not as if they don’t have council seats and local targets in the region. Possibly just a bit last minute. A real shame too that the Lib Dem candidate wasn’t a woman, given the single sex line up.

Probably affirmative action as the LibDems try to get some gender diversity in the Parliamentary party. Currently only one third male!
  • Options

Leon said:

Don't have room

Anyway I have solved it, I've worked out that if I spend half an hour crouching besides my printer with my laptop physically plugged into the printer mechanism, then I can easily get my wifi printer to print 5 sheets of A4 in about 70 minutes
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,263

Paul Pogba banned for 4 years for doping

Pogba 'sad and shocked' at four-year ban for doping - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68436828

He was the future once.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't have room

Anyway I have solved it, I've worked out that if I spend half an hour crouching besides my printer with my laptop physically plugged into the printer mechanism, then I can easily get my wifi printer to print 5 sheets of A4 in about 70 minutes
    You should fly back to that poor place where you can print a whole book for £6.50.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,949
    Sandpit said:

Way offtopic, and with no links, it looks like the Christian Horner case just took a rather dramatic turn. Not sure Mrs Horner will be a happy bunny tonight.

You'd have thought he'd fess up to whatever it is he's been up to before it all comes out.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971

AlsoLei said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

That would be an ecumenical matter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,949
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

You'd have thought he'd fess up to whatever it is he's been up to before it all comes out.
    Though it might be "goodbye" to their relationship of course.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,487

Cookie said:

Right: I'm going to say this because I can't stop thinking about it, and I might get a slightly more sympathetic hearing here than I have done IRL.

I started rewatching the Ipcress File last night, 20-odd years after I first saw it. And it struck me in the opening scene that the train from London to Nottingham was scheduled to call at RUGBY, Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield. And it struck me - that must be the old Great Central route out of Marylebone!
    Going to be hard for the rest of the film to live up to that early excitement.

I've tried telling people IRL this and they're not really interested.

The Sun as a broadsheet is arguably more interesting. I expect someone somewhere will have checked if he picked any winners.
    Yes, I noticed that too!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

He’s gonna Wannabe avoiding his wife for a few days, that’s for sure.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,265
    Leon said:

Brexit means Brexit!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

LDs put no effort in.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    edited February 29
    Sandpit said:

On topic:

I lived in Rochdale of a couple of years, back in the early 60's. Mrs C lived there while growing up.
    I'm very sad about what Rochdale politics seem to have become.
  • Options

60% time for a change is pretty terminal. Only 21% disagree.
    I don't doubt it but Savanta has a poll that by 54% to 40% want tax cuts which is not the general narrative
    Change the wording of poll question(s) and you're likely to see a big-ish swing on this (and also on many other) issues.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Barnesian said:

LDs put no effort in.
    If Cyril Smith had put his weight behind it.....
  • Options
    This is fun. @Cyclefree’s Twitter thread on Wayne Couzens.

https://x.com/cyclefree2/status/1763205831904886993?s=61

I think we all know her opinion on the subject, but nonetheless…
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,662
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't have room

Do you live in a telephone box or something? What do you mean you don't have room?. I have a very old laser printer and it is quite small. The one before that was diddy.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Sandpit said:

On topic:

I lived in Rochdale of a couple of years, back in the early 60's. Mrs C lived there while growing up.
    I'm very sad about what Rochdale politics seem to have become.
    As opposed to the halcyon days of the Seventies?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

LDs put no effort in.
    That’s a lot of weight!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Shocking story from Gaza. FK seemed genuinely moved during his first report
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,895
    With the Tories on their scorched earth policy Labour are going to have to either do another u-turn on some key proposals or find another revenue stream .

Reeves and Starmer should never have boxed themselves in over tax rises for higher earners . Now at the rate the Tories are going Labour if they keep the Tory tax cuts will have to oversee huge cuts to public services .
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,904
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Don't have room

Do you live in a telephone box or something? What do you mean you don't have room?. I have a very old laser printer and it is quite small. The one before that was diddy.
    My father in law bought a Samsung Xpress laser printer after getting bored with expensive ink and it is smaller than most inkjets.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Leon said:

Turns out my agent is/was the agent of the Hairy Bikers

she tells me Dave Myers was, in real life, all the things you saw on screen: friendly, warm, kind, funny, decent, genial

She is very sad, and now I am sadder too

It's sad. Bless him.
  • Options
    Christian Horner.

What a tool.

Only fair outcome is to strip Red Bull and their drivers of all their titles.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,095

Barnesian said:

LDs put no effort in.
    Knowing what we do now probably best he didn't, even if he was alive still
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,297
    Sandpit said:

Has he been misusing DRS?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

He makes me look subtle around women.

He forgot the golden rule.

Don’t poke the payroll or try to.
  • Options

The Rochdale seat was Liberal from 1970 to 1992 and 2001-2010 so they certainly have history there.

Post Brexit though and with Labour not in government yet they aren't going to have much hope in by elections in Labour seats and Galloway has taken the Gaza protest vote
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Police will be automatically suspended for certain criminal offences, says Cleverly
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-automatically-suspended-certain-criminal-173439745.html
  • Options
    Roger said:

That 'D' in IDF is looking increasingly out of place.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pretty sure "Goodbye" came out after the fragrant Miss Halliwell left the group.
  • Options
    edited February 29
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

My understanding is that for a first offence it is not normal to go to jail (sadly) in these type of cases.
    Trump is facing 34 charges even in the Daniels case each of which carries a 4 year jail term maximum.

Given his not guilty plea, his complete lack of remorse and contempt for the judge, the idea the judge is going to be minded to give him probation or a suspended sentence if convicted is unlikely
    All I can tell you is from all I have read a first offence normally involves a fine. I really hope I am wrong and you are right. I would be overjoyed if you were right on this one I can tell you.
    'The charge Trump faces, falsifying business records, is a class E felony, carrying a maximum prison sentence of four years.The hush-money case is a state prosecution, not federal, so Trump would not be able to pardon himself if he won the presidency in 2024.'
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/15/trump-court-stormy-daniels-case
    Which raises the interesting prospect of Trump running his general election campaign from jail and if he wins being inaugrated from jail and being President from jail. Albeit one would expect independents to have deserted him by then
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pretty sure "Goodbye" came out after the fragrant Miss Halliwell left the group.
    Yes. The song was about her. Spice fact for you there.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Police will be automatically suspended for certain criminal offences, says Cleverly
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-automatically-suspended-certain-criminal-173439745.html
    Offences such as abduction, rape, or murder?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

It does appear that his variable-angle flap has been up to no good.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,954
    edited February 29
    No potholes in Rochdale, Lancashire?

Look at the filth Galloway is pumping out in Rochdale.

https://x.com/mrharrycole/status/1763225268674527367?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,581
    nico679 said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

That 'D' in IDF is looking increasingly out of place.
    The optics of slaughtering people who are literally starving to death and desperate for food won’t be forgotten . The IDF and Netenyahu are out of control .
    Yes. An entire period, with all its diverse elements and dramatic events, running from June 1967 to October 2023 is over. And it isn't coming back. Something entirely new is coming about. No-one has any idea what it is.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    isam said:
    Never very pleasant to see naked sectarianism in a British by-election, but “filth” is perhaps overdoing it.
  • Options

isam said:
    Never very pleasant to see naked sectarianism in a British by-election, but “filth” is perhaps overdoing it.
    He's become ridiculous I can't imagine that Muslims find him other than a bit stalker-like.

What ever happened to him? Once he was worth listening to, albeit quite misguided even at his best.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,781
    edited February 29
    Leon said:

I think one of our printers from the 1980s is still working, amazingly. It's usually connected to a Sinclair QL.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    edited February 29

isam said:
    The one he sent to non-muslims is pretty amusing too:

"Make Rochdale Great Again"
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    edited February 29
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It amuses me that the BBC punctiliously refer to Geri as a "Former Spice Girls singer" rather than a "Former Spice Girl". It's political correctness gone mad.
  • Options
    o/t: Any views as to BA vs Virgin to the US?

(BA are often annoying, but they do deliver you reasonably reliably)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It amuses me that the BBC punctiliously refer to Gerri as a "Former Spice Girls singer" rather than a "Former Spice Girl". It's political correctness gone mad.
    It amuses me that the articles about Horner have headlines that start “Geri Halliwell’s husband in trouble…”
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    Omnium said:

You'll never see Christian Horner on a Virgin... ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

My understanding is that for a first offence it is not normal to go to jail (sadly) in these type of cases.
    Trump is facing 34 charges even in the Daniels case each of which carries a 4 year jail term maximum.

Given his not guilty plea, his complete lack of remorse and contempt for the judge, the idea the judge is going to be minded to give him probation or a suspended sentence if convicted is unlikely
    All I can tell you is from all I have read a first offence normally involves a fine. I really hope I am wrong and you are right. I would be overjoyed if you were right on this one I can tell you.
    'The charge Trump faces, falsifying business records, is a class E felony, carrying a maximum prison sentence of four years.The hush-money case is a state prosecution, not federal, so Trump would not be able to pardon himself if he won the presidency in 2024.'
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/15/trump-court-stormy-daniels-case
    Which raises the interesting prospect of Trump running his general election campaign from jail and if he wins being inaugrated from jail and being President from jail. Albeit one would expect independents to have deserted him by then
    Yes you would have thought your typical floating voter would baulk at electing a guy doing porridge as president.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Omnium said:

Assuming you are flying coach, the experiences are very similar. Both will fly you in modern planes (787s mostly), and are equally reliable.

I think price - and plane times - would be my differentiating factor.
  • Options
  • Options

Christian Horner.

What a tool.

I have to say, if some of the pictures out there are correct he doesn't seem to be that big a tool.

More Christian Hornier than I can cope with though.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Omnium said:

Are you paying? And is it west coast or east?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Offences such as abduction, rape, or murder?
    Not for those no, it will only be for more serious offences.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    edited February 29

AlsoLei said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not that bad, I think - MPs chat together all the time, and I was certainly seen talking with anyone from Ian Paisley to George Galloway without anyone turning a hair (didn't stop Galloway later shouting "Murderer!" at me). He'd be suspended from the start, I think, but might try to live it down. I don't think we'd actually rather have Galloway.
    If Galloway were left alive to do that, is that not an epicurious question over either

a) Your judgement.

or

b) Your effectiveness?

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,263
    Following a demand from Peter Tatchell for Police forces up,and down the country to issue an apology to the LGBTQ community for how they have treated these communities historically North Yorks steps up to the plate.

Is this a good thing or pointless gesture.

Personally I do not see what harm it does unless loads of people now start to expect compo.

https://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/news/north-yorkshire/news/news/2024/02-february/north-yorkshire-police-apologises-to-lgbtq-community/
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    isam said:

https://x.com/mrharrycole/status/1763225268674527367?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Quite amusing to see that Galloway claims that if he wins Starmer, who really has no skin in the Rochdale game now, could be toppled as Labour leader.
    He's a fantasist; I hope the good citizens of Rochdale see through him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    TimS said:

Two random off topic comments:

1. After paying for a bit of parking on the PayByPhone app I counted up how many parking apps I have on my phone. 11. Time for government to force through a national monopoly.
    2. I have been enjoying a bag of Torres “fried egg flavour” crisps for the first time, bought in a small grocery shop in Totnes a while back. A complete revelation. Anyone else tried them? I’d say are closest in taste to a really nice Spanish omelette.

A single electric car charger app too please!

Not convinced by the crisps, but perhaps we could send @MarqueeMark to investigate on behalf of the team.
  • Options
    edited February 29
    "Rochdale's 30p Lament" is now on a permanent loop in my head

Because it is actually a GOOD rock song, with hilariously stupid lyrics
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Assuming you are flying coach, the experiences are very similar. Both will fly you in modern planes (787s mostly), and are equally reliable.

I think price - and plane times - would be my differentiating factor.
    Thanks. (I think I'll fly go for a slight upgrade on basic pleb economy)

I know people sometimes struggle with BA, but I'm male and of an age that fits in with the cabin crew's idea of a proper passenger. Unfortunately things have moved on a bit from when I was young and male and well-presented and the check in staff could be charmed into almost certain upgrades (all airlines). I only managed first class (from economy) once, but that was in Japan in the 80s, and I think they preferred me to not be offending their other customers by my presence.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,819
    HYUFD said:

The Rochdale seat was Liberal from 1970 to 1992 and 2001-2010 so they certainly have history there.

Post Brexit though and with Labour not in government yet they aren't going to have much hope in by elections in Labour seats and Galloway has taken the Gaza protest vote
    I suspect the LDs looked at it and thought, are we going to spend our target seats money defending Rochdale in a few months time? And the answer was "No?"

Plus, few ideas for an overly literal Ed Davey victory stunt.

I still feel they are value, more 14s than 50s, at a narrow intersection where the Labour vote drops down and the Galloway vote edges up.

But, with money on, I would say that wouldn't I? DYOR.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,819
    HYUFD said:

I suspect the LDs looked at it and thought, are we going to spend our target seats money defending Rochdale in a few months time? And the answer was "No?"

Plus, few ideas for an overly literal Ed Davey victory stunt.

I still feel they are value, more 14s than 50s, at a narrow intersection where the Labour vote drops down and the Galloway vote edges up.

But, with money on, I would say that wouldn't I? DYOR.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

isam said:
    He's become ridiculous I can't imagine that Muslims find him other than a bit stalker-like.

What ever happened to him? Once he was worth listening to, albeit quite misguided even at his best.
    He's become pure vanity project. Witness that stupid fedora seemingly glued to his head.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

He's become pure vanity project. Witness that stupid fedora seemingly glued to his head.
    Harsh. (Says man who wears a fedora in hot weather).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    In the so bad it's good contest:

" Mr Connell said. “The script was 15 pages of AI-generated gibberish of me just monologuing these mad things.

“The bit that got me was where I had to say, ‘There is a man we don’t know his name. We know him as the Unknown. This Unknown is an evil chocolate maker who lives in the walls.’"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/willy-wonka-experience-glasgow-chocolate-event-b2504464.html
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,860

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

I want to know what that glue is. Got to be good stuff. Where can I buy some?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

In more "there must be an election coming" news, the Government has found £785 million to bail out Woking Borough Council.

https://www.wokingnewsandmail.co.uk/news/bankrupt-woking-borough-council-offered-ps765-million-government-bailout-but-has-to-increase-council-tax-668767

If you want to know the cost of years of Conservative mismanagement, there's part of it. Not much for the Woking residents who will face a 10% Council Tax rise in order for the Council to get the bailout or handout.

Will this help Jonathan Lord keep his seat or make no difference at all?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Christian Horner.

What a tool.

I have to say, if some of the pictures out there are correct he doesn't seem to be that big a tool.

More Christian Hornier than I can cope with though.
    Given that Horner is a top motor sport sportsman (in more ways than one) does "it ain't the meat, it's the motion" apply?

AND, since this is (ostensibly) a betting site, what are the odds that Ms Halliwell did NOT know her hubby is (allegedly) a hot-to-trot horn-dog?

Of course THAT covers about 99.46% of the male population! But just sayin'.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Following a demand from Peter Tatchell for Police forces up,and down the country to issue an apology to the LGBTQ community for how they have treated these communities historically North Yorks steps up to the plate.

Personally I do not see what harm it does unless loads of people now start to expect compo.

https://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/news/north-yorkshire/news/news/2024/02-february/north-yorkshire-police-apologises-to-lgbtq-community/

One can't say. Depends if it is sincere or purely to placate Peter Tatchell (who can be quite forceful).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

One can't say. Depends if it is sincere or purely to placate Peter Tatchell (who can be quite forceful).
    Given that the Acting Chief Constable says "As a bisexual man myself...." I suspect it's sincere. It's certainly unusual, especially for North Yorkshire.
  • Options

isam said:

Quite amusing to see that Galloway claims that if he wins Starmer, who really has no skin in the Rochdale game now, could be toppled as Labour leader.
    He's a fantasist; I hope the good citizens of Rochdale see through him.
    Yes, Keir will be quaking.

What's that coming over the hill, is it a fedora ... is it a fedora?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

Well yes. I don't quite get his grand plan though. His drum banging on behalf of anyone that's dodgy would if carried to its end result see him as one of the first against some wall. He shares this with Corbyn, although the latter may have had a nice seaside holiday home for a while before the ammunition beckoned.

• Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

In more "there must be an election coming" news, the Government has found £785 million to bail out Woking Borough Council.

https://www.wokingnewsandmail.co.uk/news/bankrupt-woking-borough-council-offered-ps765-million-government-bailout-but-has-to-increase-council-tax-668767

If you want to know the cost of years of Conservative mismanagement, there's part of it. Not much for the Woking residents who will face a 10% Council Tax rise in order for the Council to get the bailout or handout.

Will this help Jonathan Lord keep his seat or make no difference at all?

Jonathan Lord has been an MP since 2010, I discover. Has anybody heard of him, outside Woking (and maybe not even there)?
    Thought not. He has the thinnest Wiki entry for a long-standing MP I've ever looked at.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I must listen to it again, if I can find the link.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

You don't think you're Orson Wells, though, do you? I sense George does.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Omnium said:

Are you paying? And is it west coast or east?
    Sorry @carnforth - missed this. Yes, I'm paying and east coast.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I must listen to it again, if I can find the link.
    Don't spend too long looking for it, Andy. That's my advice.
This discussion has been closed.