Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The problems with having two massive elections at the same time – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,280

HYUFD said:

Trump is popular amongst Reform voters though, who the Tories have leaked to since 2019 as much as to Labour.

Truss is clearly looking to the conservative lecture circuit in the US and its well paid speeches, Trump will put America First with little care for the rest of the West

Truss clearly has had some sort of cognitive event. Boris Johnson on the other hand has a bigly inconsistency to explain. He has claimed to be the World beating batsman for an independent Ukraine yet he has now broken for the World's most high profile Putin enabler. How does he square that circle?
    In practice Merkel and Obama did more to enable Putin than Trump.
    Yeah, right.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/10/politics/trump-russia-nato/index.html
    How did that comment enable Putin? On the contrary it prompted an increase in seriousness about European defence.
    How can I interpret that to help you out? Mr Putin if you would like to invade Europe, fill yer boots. I will not intervene.

Forgive my cynicism, but I don't believe Mr Trump is the cognitive genius you take him for. I do not believe his commentary was designed as a lateral way of bolstering European Defence policy.

You are in denial.
    I didn't claim that it was designed as a lateral way of bolstering European defence policy, merely that that was the only direct consequence.

If you are so concerned about the credibility of collective defence, why not point the finger at those countries failing to meet their spending targets rather than at Trump ?
    You seem very sanguine about the whole affair. Have you been pencilled in for a place in the UK Politburo?
    This strikes me as completely hysterical. Do you seriously think there is a risk of our being occupied by Russia?
    Yeah, you must be right.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-jets-simulate-bombing-raids-on-britain/
    And?

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-carrier-launches-jets-for-simulated-combat-missions/
    We simulate combat sorties for a reason. It's a bit like carrying out a fire drill in case of a future fire.
    Your a bit of a nationalist really. When we do it, it's good. When they do it, it's evil.
    Hell yes, for a centrist Remainer traitor I love Blighty!

Our fire drills are in case of accidental fires. The Russians are firestarting in our back yard!

Anyway it's soon teatime, so dosvedanya comrade.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Off topic, but definitely worth reading: This extended interview with General Petraeus on the way in Ukraine: "Two years into the Ukraine war, the tide has shifted, and Russian forces have some momentum, according to retired US General David Petraeus.

But he said the Russians have suffered staggering casualties and Ukraine can still hold its own in fighting off Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion if it gets the support it needs from the United States."
    source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/opinion-who-is-winning-gen-petraeus-on-ukraine-war-two-years-in/ar-BB1iKThS?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=701323af64e94f1fb62b6184a886b2f8&ei=11

(I found his thoughts about Ukrainian successes in the Black Sea especially interesting. He doesn't mention this, but I did wonder whether the Royal Navy might deserve some credit for those successes.)

Copied from previous thread.

Schapps said this in Parliament a day ago.

Our mighty Storm Shadows and our uncrewed sea systems have helped Ukraine achieve a breakthrough in the Black sea.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272
    Supposedly disowned Labour Party candidate, Azhar Ali, seen today lunching with the Labour group on Lancashire council including parliamentary candidates.

However hard Starmer tries the Party still has a long way to go.

https://x.com/tomhfh/status/1761040505234698279?s=61p
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,501
    HYUFD said:

On Polling. One thing that’s being proved wrong - collapse of the SNP under its new leader, who was supposed to be useless and prove a disaster wasn’t he? Under this leader, and in spite in how criminally corrupt the old leadership appears to have been, the SNP are still polling strongly. Their polling numbers look healthy, the number of seats they retain at General Election could prove very healthy as well.

On every Scottish Westminster poll this year the SNP are polling well below 2019 so will certainly lose seats, indeed on all but 1 poll they are even polling worse than 2017 when they lost 21 seats. So this will almost certainly be the worst UK general election result for the SNP since 2010 and could even see Labour win more Scottish seats than them. Indeed the latest Redfield Scottish figures have Scottish Labour ahead of the SNP now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_United_Kingdom_general_election_in_Scotland#Poll_results
    Wait. Can you see, you are proving my point with the bare facts?

Down on 2019, even 1 poll saying down on 2017 - what does that mean, when those years were so fantastic for SNP seat return?

And you say “only one poll has Labour ahead of SNP”? It’s not a poll or seat collapse is it, despite everything thrown at them and portents of doom, it’s very sticky in fact.

And why? Malc suggests it’s despite some good reason not to vote SNP at this time, nothing else truly appeals or inspires in order to seal the vote switch.

Getting this deep into General Election year, political betting wise it looks like another large bloc of SNP in the next parliament isn’t it? Not much helping hand for Starmer coming over Hadrians Wall.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I know on PB. we're used to finding meaning from a well turned phrase....

But this one rescued from the dying embers of the previous thread looks to be on another level ..........

(MOONRABBIT)

"There’s bits of this PB header sailing close to the siren voices of myopic fantasy that does not represent the full truth and history of the week".

Is this a compliment? 🤔
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Liz Truss - usually unpopular, usually right.

I'm beginning to appreciate your very dry sense of humour.

You're really DougSeal in disguise.
    No, he's just proof of Internet Rule 34: No matter how much stupidity you can imagine, there's always someone stupider.
    On the topic of MH17, here's an article on the likely next Sec Gen of NATO.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/mark-rutte-nato-donald-trump-vladimir-putin/

Bonus silly picture with Rishi near the bottom, for thorough readers.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,728
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

No, he's just proof of Internet Rule 34: No matter how much stupidity you can imagine, there's always someone stupider.
    On the topic of MH17, here's an article on the likely next Sec Gen of NATO.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/mark-rutte-nato-donald-trump-vladimir-putin/

Bonus silly picture with Rishi near the bottom, for thorough readers.
    Romania beg to differ: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-22/romania-throws-wrench-in-push-to-make-rutte-next-nato-chief
  • Options
    Taz said:

Supposedly disowned Labour Party candidate, Azhar Ali, seen today lunching with the Labour group on Lancashire council including parliamentary candidates.

However hard Starmer tries the Party still has a long way to go.

https://x.com/tomhfh/status/1761040505234698279?s=61p

Yet, you still can’t tell us anything at all this moderate politician, who set up Islam Against Anti-semitism, actually said that was anti-Semitic, can you?
  • Options
    edited February 23
    Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Okay then - I’m calling you out. How exactly is Truss premiership and budget responsible for the high mortgage rates today?

If you can’t put up a convincing explanation, Rule 34 is waiting for you. No pressure.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827

HYUFD said:

On Polling. One thing that’s being proved wrong - collapse of the SNP under its new leader, who was supposed to be useless and prove a disaster wasn’t he? Under this leader, and in spite in how criminally corrupt the old leadership appears to have been, the SNP are still polling strongly. Their polling numbers look healthy, the number of seats they retain at General Election could prove very healthy as well.

On every Scottish Westminster poll this year the SNP are polling well below 2019 so will certainly lose seats, indeed on all but 1 poll they are even polling worse than 2017 when they lost 21 seats. So this will almost certainly be the worst UK general election result for the SNP since 2010 and could even see Labour win more Scottish seats than them. Indeed the latest Redfield Scottish figures have Scottish Labour ahead of the SNP now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_United_Kingdom_general_election_in_Scotland#Poll_results
    Wait. Can you see, you are proving my point with the bare facts?

Down on 2019, even 1 poll saying down on 2017 - what does that mean, when those years were so fantastic for SNP seat return?

And you say “only one poll has Labour ahead of SNP”? It’s not a poll or seat collapse is it, despite everything thrown at them and portents of doom, it’s very sticky in fact.

And why? Malc suggests it’s despite some good reason not to vote SNP at this time, nothing else truly appeals or inspires in order to seal the vote switch.

Getting this deep into General Election year, political betting wise it looks like another large bloc of SNP in the next parliament isn’t it? Not much helping hand for Starmer coming over Hadrians Wall.
    The latest polls for the 6 pollsters to conduct Scotland surveys since the Rutherglen by-election give an average of: Lab 34.8%, SNP 34.7%.

That would be a 13.3% swing since GE19 and, given that Scotland looks like SNP vs the rest, that suggests a bigger swing where Labour is the competitor (e.g. Labour wouldn't be likely to achieve a 13% swing on the SNP in Fife NE).

• Options

Well, with Wednesday's advertisement for how good the Westminster Parliament is, where else do supporters of Scottish independence have to go?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,875
    LDLF said:

Cicero said:

As the frilly fascists on the Tory right come out for Donald Trump, I can not help wondering what happened to the actual Conservatives in the Tory Party. The overwhelming majority of people in the UK would not vote for Trump if he was the last man on earth. So, when faced with late converts to the orange traitor, even the tiny minority that think that DJT isn´t fascist dog dirt are not going to vote Tory, though maybe some will vote for Farage, who has at least been a consistent backer of the fake tan swine.

For Truss, Johnson et al, It is not just the crawling to a total bastard that makes these cretins unelectable, it is the utterly pathetic way they make themselves look.

The only good thing about these craven assholes is the way they are driving Conservative voters away from the Tory brand at a fair rate of knots. Last night´s local by elections showing the Lib Dems winning in places like Wilts that used to be Tory heartlands shows that more clearly than ever.

UK Conservatism is dying in front of us. Sad days.

And I don’t mean in terms of polling slump, that goes in cycles anyway, I mean in a distinct philosophy, how they see the world and decisions they make.
    Yes, I think what we are witnessing is the full transformation of the Tory party into a party of the populist right. From a party of the old, broad-based establishment and its prosperous hinterland to a party of a new and much more aggressive elite allied to the angry, a new coalition tied together by conspiracy theories and misinformation. Any One Nation conservatives really have to be aware, this is not the Tory party of old. The end game is Farage as party leader, backed by money from people like Paul Marshall and various US and other foreign sources. Truss is positioning herself for the new dispensation.
    The regeneration started playing out a while back, but it's getting inescapable now. See the way that Sunak is regarded as a hopeless wet by many of the new Conservatives.

Thought experiment. Suppose the Conservatives lose this year and (this is the hard bit) get overtaken by an urge to move towards the centre. Who do they have who could lead the party in that direction? The best I can come up with is Tom Tugendhat, which kind of highlights the problem.
    It is hard to tell at this point.
    It is worth noting that, after the Labour election loss in 2019, it was hard to see a candidate who both could win with the membership and was untainted by the Corbyn regime. The eventual leadership winner called Corbyn his best buddy ever, said Corbyn was not racist but had been unfairly traduced by the evil media, and pledged to continue on his good work.

For the Conservatives it is MPs who have to choose the final two, and the MPs who are likely to be left after the election would be 'Sunakite' rather than Trumpist.

I agree that Tom Tugendhat seems a good bet. There is a reason that Liz Truss needs to cross the Atlantic to find a friendly audience, and the UK Tories should take note. As with Theresa May in 2016, Tugendhat may be the only one left standing.

There is a balance to be struck. I think the next successful Tory leader (that is, taking them back into government), will be sensible, but probably run (at least in part) against the self-proclaimed 'Sensibles'. This is still centrism, but of a specific, 'anti-Vordemanist' kind.

Whether that happens in five, ten, or fifteen years is only partly in their own party's hands. It all depends on how interested they are in victory.
    Ultimately, nobody knows what's going to happen in the 2024 to 2029 Parliament. My guess is that it'll play out much more like 74-79 than 97-01 but that's only a guess.

The Tories might go spinning off into the extremes and make Farage leader or they might choose a more moderate candidate - It will very much depend how big the defeat is and who is left in the Parliamentary Party.

Also, nobody knows how bad Labour will be (they're going to be bad, but how bad?)

What's going to happen in the US? What's going to happen with Russia? In 2029 we might be starting WWIII or the Russian dictator might be history and we're having a quieter period without continuous global calamities taking place.

As you point out, in December 2019 everyone's expectations was that it would take a decade for Labour to recover from their defeat and from Corbyn's toxicity yet within a couple of years they were back in the game.

We live in volatile times. Expect the unexpected.
  • Options

Seems Mercedes has put a brake on evs and will continue to produce petrol and diesel cars well beyond 2030

https://twitter.com/PeterSweden7/status/1761005209612890563?t=jL-DmKfoJ7imhDRJtKLwcw&s=19

Not sure my purchase of a petrol Mercedes in the last month has been a factor !!

Hardly a surprise. Markets will not be remotely ready for 100% of new cars being EVs in 2030. Also helps a legacy monolith like Mercedes catch up with Chinese technology / production methods.
    Although for those of us who follow your YouTube channel, the YouTube algorithm offers alternative stories of some very impressive looking Chinese EV manufacturers going under.
    There will be more of that - they just get gobbled up by giant ones like SAIC.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,814
    I always thought Liz Truss was fairly right-wing but not quite as right-wing as this.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2024/02/nigel-farage-reform-uk-future

From John Gray.
    "If he returns to front-line British politics, Farage will focus on challenging policies that cannot be democratically legitimated. Uncontrolled immigration and environmentalist nostrums that accelerate the decline in living standards by raising the cost of energy will be his principal targets.
    Populism at present is the return to politics of questions a progressive consensus has proscribed as irrational or immoral. Voters who pose these questions are dismissed as simpletons blindly obeying demagogic “dog-whistles”. As in Europe, the effect of treating one’s fellow citizens with patronising contempt is to secure the political space in which populists operate"

I don't think there is any real 'centrist consensus', you just have governments who cannot really govern and a lot of volatility.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,092
    GIN1138 said:

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

As the frilly fascists on the Tory right come out for Donald Trump, I can not help wondering what happened to the actual Conservatives in the Tory Party. The overwhelming majority of people in the UK would not vote for Trump if he was the last man on earth. So, when faced with late converts to the orange traitor, even the tiny minority that think that DJT isn´t fascist dog dirt are not going to vote Tory, though maybe some will vote for Farage, who has at least been a consistent backer of the fake tan swine.

For Truss, Johnson et al, It is not just the crawling to a total bastard that makes these cretins unelectable, it is the utterly pathetic way they make themselves look.

The only good thing about these craven assholes is the way they are driving Conservative voters away from the Tory brand at a fair rate of knots. Last night´s local by elections showing the Lib Dems winning in places like Wilts that used to be Tory heartlands shows that more clearly than ever.

And I don’t mean in terms of polling slump, that goes in cycles anyway, I mean in a distinct philosophy, how they see the world and decisions they make.
    Yes, I think what we are witnessing is the full transformation of the Tory party into a party of the populist right. From a party of the old, broad-based establishment and its prosperous hinterland to a party of a new and much more aggressive elite allied to the angry, a new coalition tied together by conspiracy theories and misinformation. Any One Nation conservatives really have to be aware, this is not the Tory party of old. The end game is Farage as party leader, backed by money from people like Paul Marshall and various US and other foreign sources. Truss is positioning herself for the new dispensation.
    The regeneration started playing out a while back, but it's getting inescapable now. See the way that Sunak is regarded as a hopeless wet by many of the new Conservatives.

Thought experiment. Suppose the Conservatives lose this year and (this is the hard bit) get overtaken by an urge to move towards the centre. Who do they have who could lead the party in that direction? The best I can come up with is Tom Tugendhat, which kind of highlights the problem.
    It is worth noting that, after the Labour election loss in 2019, it was hard to see a candidate who both could win with the membership and was untainted by the Corbyn regime. The eventual leadership winner called Corbyn his best buddy ever, said Corbyn was not racist but had been unfairly traduced by the evil media, and pledged to continue on his good work.

For the Conservatives it is MPs who have to choose the final two, and the MPs who are likely to be left after the election would be 'Sunakite' rather than Trumpist.

I agree that Tom Tugendhat seems a good bet. There is a reason that Liz Truss needs to cross the Atlantic to find a friendly audience, and the UK Tories should take note. As with Theresa May in 2016, Tugendhat may be the only one left standing.

There is a balance to be struck. I think the next successful Tory leader (that is, taking them back into government), will be sensible, but probably run (at least in part) against the self-proclaimed 'Sensibles'. This is still centrism, but of a specific, 'anti-Vordemanist' kind.

Whether that happens in five, ten, or fifteen years is only partly in their own party's hands. It all depends on how interested they are in victory.
    Ultimately, nobody knows what's going to happen in the 2024 to 2029 Parliament. My guess is that it'll play out much more like 74-79 than 97-01 but that's only a guess.

The Tories might go spinning off into the extremes and make Farage leader or they might choose a more moderate candidate - It will very much depend how big the defeat is and who is left in the Parliamentary Party.

Also, nobody knows how bad Labour will be (they're going to be bad, but how bad?)

What's going to happen in the US? What's going to happen with Russia? In 2029 we might be starting WWIII or the Russian dictator might be history and we're having a quieter period without continuous global calamities taking place.

As you point out, in December 2019 everyone's expectations was that it would take a decade for Labour to recover from their defeat and from Corbyn's toxicity yet within a couple of years they were back in the game.

Sir Keith “Special K” Stormer will be a GOOD PM. You heard it here first!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I always thought Liz Truss was fairly right-wing but not quite as right-wing as this.

And to think, she started out as a sandal-wearing, muesli-eating, Lib-Dem! :D
  • Options
    Weekly polling average.

Lib Dems continue to slip in the polls, now down to 9.2%.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

You were probably right, at the time.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    Andy_JS said:

She knows which direction the Tories are headed. Fantasy land.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    GIN1138 said:

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

Regarding Labour, of course they could be bad, and I understand you expect them to be bad, but the truth is, like the other things you refer to, nobody knows.

As you say: expect the unexpected.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Andy_JS said:

She reminds me of Katie Hopkins, mad as a hatter but dangerous with it.
  • Options

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Okay then - I’m calling you out. How exactly is Truss premiership and budget responsible for the high mortgage rates today?

If you can’t put up a convincing explanation, Rule 34 is waiting for you. No pressure.
    I think you are both confused about the nature of Internet Rule 34!!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    GIN1138 said:

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

Not everyone, even at the time I said Bozo would be the last Tory PM - and it’s only because he self destructed so early that he isn’t
  • Options
    Germany legalises cannabis, but makes it hard to buy
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68378807
  • Options
    LDLF said:

Cicero said:

It was a 100 years of Conservatism in UK because it stood beside business, sound finance and fiscally the best option on the ballot paper, whilst offering aspiration to the working classes. Its client media clearly does not believe in that anymore, wherever it gets in the way of Popular Right Wing ideology, and the Tory Party has followed the client media.

Can you not see, respect for institutions, political opponents, and the checks and balances on political power, this so called Conservative Party no longer believes in 😕
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

And to think, she started out as a sandal-wearing, muesli-eating, Lib-Dem! :D
    Maybe she still is - and this is all extreme masochism on her part?

In fact, the necklace etc… it’s all starting to add up.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

Regarding Labour, of course they could be bad, and I understand you expect them to be bad, but the truth is, like the other things you refer to, nobody knows.

As you say: expect the unexpected.
    Well, I hope you're right. Regardless, I'll be voting Labour at the next election as the number one priority is obviously to send the Tories into Opposition.

Where we go after that remains to be seen. My expectations are low (not helped by the shenanigans this week) but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    Anyway looks like the half-hearted putsch against the Hoylester has fizzled out, as expected.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited February 23
    GIN1138 said:

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

Objection....They haven't got any moderate candidates.
  • Options
    Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

Objection....They haven't got any moderate candidates.
    I mean you'd have Corbyn down as being pretty centrist...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,280

Andy_JS said:

I once thought @williamglenn was a Liberal Remainer. You live and learn.
  • Options

Weekly polling average.

My favourite graph since the Malmesbury Monoliths 🤗

And always trendsetting compared to the Wiki page, where Tories are still trending up and Labour down to meet them.
  • Options
    edited February 23

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.ft.com/content/7bad4783-e6d1-4776-8fa7-4188bbb9d86f

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited February 23
    darkage said:

From John Gray.
    "If he returns to front-line British politics, Farage will focus on challenging policies that cannot be democratically legitimated. Uncontrolled immigration and environmentalist nostrums that accelerate the decline in living standards by raising the cost of energy will be his principal targets.
    Populism at present is the return to politics of questions a progressive consensus has proscribed as irrational or immoral. Voters who pose these questions are dismissed as simpletons blindly obeying demagogic “dog-whistles”. As in Europe, the effect of treating one’s fellow citizens with patronising contempt is to secure the political space in which populists operate"

I don't think there is any real 'centrist consensus', you just have governments who cannot really govern and a lot of volatility.

“ – the destructive impact of free trade and mass immigration on the economic security of workers”

What I struggled with, and I still don’t really feel I’ve heard a satisfactory answer, is how left wingers who deride a free market agenda were ok, to put it mildly, with Freedom of Movement, when they are seemingly part of the same thing.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

HYUFD said:

Trump is popular amongst Reform voters though, who the Tories have leaked to since 2019 as much as to Labour.

Truss is clearly looking to the conservative lecture circuit in the US and its well paid speeches, Trump will put America First with little care for the rest of the West

Truss clearly has had some sort of cognitive event. Boris Johnson on the other hand has a bigly inconsistency to explain. He has claimed to be the World beating batsman for an independent Ukraine yet he has now broken for the World's most high profile Putin enabler. How does he square that circle?
    In practice Merkel and Obama did more to enable Putin than Trump.
    Yeah, right.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/10/politics/trump-russia-nato/index.html
    How did that comment enable Putin? On the contrary it prompted an increase in seriousness about European defence.
    How can I interpret that to help you out? Mr Putin if you would like to invade Europe, fill yer boots. I will not intervene.

Forgive my cynicism, but I don't believe Mr Trump is the cognitive genius you take him for. I do not believe his commentary was designed as a lateral way of bolstering European Defence policy.

You are in denial.
    I didn't claim that it was designed as a lateral way of bolstering European defence policy, merely that that was the only direct consequence.

If you are so concerned about the credibility of collective defence, why not point the finger at those countries failing to meet their spending targets rather than at Trump ?
    You seem very sanguine about the whole affair. Have you been pencilled in for a place in the UK Politburo?
    This strikes me as completely hysterical. Do you seriously think there is a risk of our being occupied by Russia?
    Yeah, you must be right.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-jets-simulate-bombing-raids-on-britain/
    And?

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-carrier-launches-jets-for-simulated-combat-missions/
    We simulate combat sorties for a reason. It's a bit like carrying out a fire drill in case of a future fire.
    Your a bit of a nationalist really. When we do it, it's good. When they do it, it's evil.
    ...and unless and until I go live in another country (which I won't), that will remain the case. I'm not Russian. This is my land. We have to defend it. The fact that the Conservatives think that defence is less important than AI/Culture War/Deep State/whatever is the luxury value for today does not change that.
  • Options
    isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

“ – the destructive impact of free trade and mass immigration on the economic security of workers”

What I struggled with, and I still don’t really feel I’ve heard a satisfactory answer, is how left wingers who deride a free market agenda were ok, to put it mildly, with Freedom of Movement, when they are seemingly part of the same thing.
    Immigration has doubled since Freedom of Movement was ended. FoM was a red herring.
  • Options

Seems Mercedes has put a brake on evs and will continue to produce petrol and diesel cars well beyond 2030

https://twitter.com/PeterSweden7/status/1761005209612890563?t=jL-DmKfoJ7imhDRJtKLwcw&s=19

Not sure my purchase of a petrol Mercedes in the last month has been a factor !!

Hardly a surprise. Markets will not be remotely ready for 100% of new cars being EVs in 2030. Also helps a legacy monolith like Mercedes catch up with Chinese technology / production methods.
    Or they, and other European manufacturers end up surrendering a significant share of the market to China.
    By 2030 running EVs - certainly from China - will be far more economic than continuing with ICE vehicles.

Trade barriers may well come into play, but aren't likely to be popular.
  • Options

Roger said:

But this one rescued from the dying embers of the previous thread looks to be on another level ..........

(MOONRABBIT)

"There’s bits of this PB header sailing close to the siren voices of myopic fantasy that does not represent the full truth and history of the week".

Is this a compliment? 🤔
    Yes! It was a mean spirited thread but that line was a gem. I couldn't say I understood it but it rolled around in my head which is more than I can say for anything else on there. And anyway some of the best lines don't make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP3XaAqDwZ0
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Immigration has doubled since Freedom of Movement was ended. FoM was a red herring.
    And has this increase in immigration been opposed by left wingers?
  • Options
    A very expensive friendly fire incident, reportedly.

Footage reportedly showing a SAM slamming into a Russian A-50 AEW&C aircraft over the Sea of Azov this evening.
    https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1761084157004784000
  • Options

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Well they've voted against every administration for the last decade.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,728

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Labour have said they want to cut immigration.
  • Options
    We should really have a debate on how likely the next election is to be a once in a century political upheaval that sees the replacement of one of the two main parties. It happened once in each of the previous two centuries after all.

Whilst I think it unlikely, the chances have to be higher now than they ever have been in my lifetime. 25% chance maybe?
  • Options
    For some real damage to be done, a diligent journalist needs to ask Donald Trump who he would advise people to vote for in the British general election. If Trump says the Conservatives, then the Conservatives will get hammered. And if he says Reform ... then the Conservatives will get hammered.

Despite whatever advice he is given, his vanity will ensure that he answers the question - but I think we can all agree that he is unlikely to recommend Labour or the Lib Dems....
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,248
    edited February 23
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

My prediciton is that the centre ground will be further right under Starmer than it is now under the Tories.
    In 5-10 years the centre ground in UK politics will be waaaaay to the right of the sunakite Tories

We have merely delayed our Le Pen Moment with Brexit. It’s still coming
    A wish is not a claim upon reality.

In fact the dunderheaded Tories have failed to put forward any programme that could be dignified with the name of "Philosophy". They spout random populist slogans, often stolen from MAGA, or unworkable drivel like "Rwanda", which have little relevance to anyone beyond CCHQ or Doughty St. The real problems of administration are way too difficult for a Truss, Johnson or Shapps to grasp, even in outline, and even the pseudo-managerialism of Sunak just underlines how utterly inept and out of touch the right wing has become.

Yet some kind of realignment may well be coming. The empty slogans of vacuous and self interested right wing think tanks have been completely discredited, which means that some serious, Keith Joseph style, intellectual energy must be deployed. Perhaps traditionalists like Tugenhat might foster such a rebirth, but it is just as likely that the Tories may face an existential crisis and a whole new entity emerges as the clowns drift off towards Reform MAGAism, British style, and the centrists either re-found or reform the Conservatives, as happened in Canada after the Kim Campbell debacle. If so, at least 10-15 years out of power awaits. So, hardly a new right force here.

But such populism in both the US and the UK is visibly wilting under its own contradictions, and sending the right down a populist rabbit hole guarantees that they never return to power. So sure, yes, maybe the Tory centre of gravity heads rightwards, but if so, they become unelectable... ever. As for the UK, the populist spell is breaking and I see no interest in the shrill garbage of Truss, Mogg, Johnson or anyone else of that ilk.

It would be a fantastic irony if it turns out that Brexit has actually killed the Tory right as political force.
  • Options

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Well I oppose it! Wtf have the Tories been doing these past 5 years to allow it to get so out of hand?
  • Options
    edited February 23

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

That doesn’t really have anything to do with my bafflement at people being anti free market but pro FOM
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

(MOONRABBIT)

Is this a compliment? 🤔
    Yes! It was a mean spirited thread but that line was a gem. I couldn't say I understood it but it rolled around in my head which is more than I can say for anything else on there. And anyway some of the best lines don't make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP3XaAqDwZ0
    But I like wasabi.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804

We should really have a debate on how likely the next election is to be a once in a century political upheaval that sees the replacement of one of the two main parties. It happened once in each of the previous two centuries after all.

Whilst I think it unlikely, the chances have to be higher now than they ever have been in my lifetime. 25% chance maybe?

They will just invite Farage over to complete the Bluekip takeover. Look at the last Tory conference and he was the most popular person there. That will get them back to 30% and then they can hope Labour cock it up which will happen sooner or later and might well happen first term.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

That doesn’t really have anything to do with my bafflement at people being anti free market but pro FOM
    Who in particular? Personally, I am generally pro free market and anti (global free movement); with the EU though I am pro the single market including FoM.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    Nigelb said:

A very expensive friendly fire incident, reportedly.

Footage reportedly showing a SAM slamming into a Russian A-50 AEW&C aircraft over the Sea of Azov this evening.
    https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1761084157004784000

They really don’t have very many of those left apparently, so losing another one is going to be something of a problem for the Russians. Losing it to friendly fire is just icing on that particular cake...
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Who in particular? Personally, I am generally pro free market and anti (global free movement); with the EU though I am pro the single market including FoM.
    There are plenty of left wingers who decry free marketeers whilst being appalled at the loss of Free Movement
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 487

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

It was a 100 years of Conservatism in UK because it stood beside business, sound finance and fiscally the best option on the ballot paper, whilst offering aspiration to the working classes. Its client media clearly does not believe in that anymore, wherever it gets in the way of Popular Right Wing ideology, and the Tory Party has followed the client media.

Can you not see, respect for institutions, political opponents, and the checks and balances on political power, this so called Conservative Party no longer believes in 😕
    And if you are a conservative, as things stand Labour ticks those boxes and certainly has more respect for institutions than the modern Conservative Party, which is now anything but.
  • Options

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.ft.com/content/7bad4783-e6d1-4776-8fa7-4188bbb9d86f

Wait. It had completely disappeared by Nov 22? Before starting again?

Nor can you equate the lines solely to the mini budget. Overlay other countries government bonds that went high from same period over this graph. 😈.

The claim high interest rates and high mortgage rates today come from the Truss Premiership and mini budget is an oft repeated damned lie, eating the credibility of everyone who repeats it.
  • Options

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Labour have said they want to cut immigration.
    Sir Keir has said he wants to defend FOM, as well as associating it with low wages. As with seemingly every policy, he takes both positions as a matter of principle
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,925
    isam said:

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Why is it baffling . FOM with the EU was for many the best thing about the EU. The economic side less of an issue .
  • Options

Weekly polling average.

And always trendsetting compared to the Wiki page, where Tories are still trending up and Labour down to meet them.
    What pollsters are excluded though?

What do we make of More In Common polling, the last from 11th Feb, just 11% lead and only Labour 1% lead if you add ref to con taking Tories to 39%?

Could all the other pollsters have missed something with 15% leads, and one pollster with their own methodology recipe be proved way more accurate than the others? Survation isn’t far behind More in Common with their numbers.

And, with Ref voters rushing home just like last time, can Labours lead melt to virtually nothing during the campaign, just like happened in 2017? 20+ lead didn’t disappear in 2017 just because of some errors in the campaign, it was something in the mindset already before election was called 20+ lead pollsters didn’t pick up. For example, A vote for Labour in 2017 was a vote for Corbyn’s economics over that of the Conservative Party, if economics really is so important in General Elections?
  • Options

For some real damage to be done, a diligent journalist needs to ask Donald Trump who he would advise people to vote for in the British general election. If Trump says the Conservatives, then the Conservatives will get hammered. And if he says Reform ... then the Conservatives will get hammered.

Despite whatever advice he is given, his vanity will ensure that he answers the question - but I think we can all agree that he is unlikely to recommend Labour or the Lib Dems....

This is actually Rishi Sunak's best bet because Trump only has to allude to the UK being run by an Indian for people to rally round him.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

My prediciton is that the centre ground will be further right under Starmer than it is now under the Tories.
    In 5-10 years the centre ground in UK politics will be waaaaay to the right of the sunakite Tories

In fact the dunderheaded Tories have failed to put forward any programme that could be dignified with the name of "Philosophy". They spout random populist slogans, often stolen from MAGA, or unworkable drivel like "Rwanda", which have little relevance to anyone beyond CCHQ or Doughty St. The real problems of administration are way too difficult for a Truss, Johnson or Shapps to grasp, even in outline, and even the pseudo-managerialism of Sunak just underlines how utterly inept and out of touch the right wing has become.

Yet some kind of realignment may well be coming. The empty slogans of vacuous and self interested right wing think tanks have been completely discredited, which means that some serious, Keith Joseph style, intellectual energy must be deployed. Perhaps traditionalists like Tugenhat might foster such a rebirth, but it is just as likely that the Tories may face an existential crisis and a whole new entity emerges as the clowns drift off towards Reform MAGAism, British style, and the centrists either re-found or reform the Conservatives, as happened in Canada after the Kim Campbell debacle. If so, at least 10-15 years out of power awaits. So, hardly a new right force here.

But such populism in both the US and the UK is visibly wilting under its own contradictions, and sending the right down a populist rabbit hole guarantees that they never return to power. So sure, yes, maybe the Tory centre of gravity heads rightwards, but if so, they become unelectable... ever. As for the UK, the populist spell is breaking and I see no interest in the shrill garbage of Truss, Mogg, Johnson or anyone else of that ilk.

It would be a fantastic irony if it turns out that Brexit has actually killed the Tory right as political force.
    I feel sorry for you. Not getting paid per word. You actually write all this shit for free
  • Options
    nico679 said:

isam said:

isam said:

darkage said:

From John Gray.

Why is it baffling . FOM with the EU was for many the best thing about the EU. The economic side less of an issue .
    I suppose perhaps not linking FOM with economics is why Remain lost. That link was a huge reason why there was a referendum in the first place
  • Options
    These are the latest polls for the second round of the French presidential elections:

Gabriel Attal (current PM) - 49%
    Marine Le Pen - 51%

Édouard Philippe (former PM) - 50%
    Marine Le Pen - 50%

Jean-Luc Mélenchon - 36%
    Marine Le Pen - 64%

https://www.ifop.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/120604-Resultats.pdf
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

I feel sorry for you. Not getting paid per word. You actually write all this shit for free
    You get paid for what you do on PB? Or is it that we are your guinea-pigs?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    edited February 23
    It seems in yesterday's locals, whilst losing 1 to labour and 1 to lib dems, the conservstives retained the rest and actuslly took one off from SNP in Jedburgh.

I think it may be @stodge who is well versed in locals and it would be interesting to have his take on it
  • Options
    David Cameron is spot on

'Putin is a neo - imperialist bully'

Are you listening Truss and others, that is the one nation conservatives I can vote for
  • Options
    Internet Rule 34 is nothing to

David Cameron is spot on

Are you listening Truss and others, that is the one nation conservatives I can vote for

On his podcast, George Osborne has this week suggested Sir Keir retains Cammo as Foreign Secretary in a new Labour government.

Interesting idea.
  • Options
    edited February 23

David Cameron is spot on

On his podcast, George Osborne has this week suggested Sir Keir retains Cammo as Foreign Secretary in a new Labour government.

Interesting idea.
    He would be a huge improvement on Lammy

Not sure what Internet rule 34 is ?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.
    I wonder who George Osborne thinks Sir Keir should appoint as Chancellor?
    Let me guess....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Bad response 😠

I love reading Cicero’s thoughts. And there was a fantastic challenge to you in Cicero’s last paragraph Leon you should have taken up. That is, how many elections do you see Right Wing Populism actually winning in US and UK?

My call is, perhaps no more after that one Trump surprise win.

My reasoning is voters on the whole prefer quiet politics to the noisy chaotic disrupter politics of populism, and they will find that quiet politics in those politicians and parties promising stable economics, stable government, support for business, respect for institutions and the checks and balances of power. This used to be the Conservatives in UK. The Trump takeover of the Republicans, and right wing populism take over of the UK Conservatives, will prove electorally ruinous for those grand old political parties.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

If a party emerged with the goal of making Britain more like Estonia, you would denounce it as being from the extreme far right.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

Too left wing for Starmer
  • Options
    MASTERS OF THE AIR is not very good, is it?

It’s not terrible. Its just obviously a lot poorer than, say, BAND OF BROTHERS
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.
    Let me guess....
    He could do worse
  • Options
    edited February 23

Weekly polling average.

What do we make of More In Common polling, the last from 11th Feb, just 11% lead and only Labour 1% lead if you add ref to con taking Tories to 39%?

Could all the other pollsters have missed something with 15% leads, and one pollster with their own methodology recipe be proved way more accurate than the others? Survation isn’t far behind More in Common with their numbers.

And, with Ref voters rushing home just like last time, can Labours lead melt to virtually nothing during the campaign, just like happened in 2017? 20+ lead didn’t disappear in 2017 just because of some errors in the campaign, it was something in the mindset already before election was called 20+ lead pollsters didn’t pick up. For example, A vote for Labour in 2017 was a vote for Corbyn’s economics over that of the Conservative Party, if economics really is so important in General Elections?
    the More in Common Methodology is to force people saying Don't Know to make a choice (Don't know is still an option but most people when asked again make a decision) - at which point those voters go Tory / Labour in a 2:1 ratio which is why the Tory vote is so high.

Personally I suspect the Tory can't be arsed vote will sit out this election especially if it's a wet Thursday in November...

Edit to add - I suspect this means that More in Common is giving you the absolutely maximum Tory vote which still isn't enough to stop a Labour majority...
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

What's Lammy done wrong, in your view?
    He isn't responsible for the Welsh 20mph policy, is he?
  • Options
    Roger said:

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

Too left wing for Starmer
    On Gaza and Ukraine Cameron has been excellent
  • Options
    Leon said:

I agree with you on this. Masters of the Air very disappointing.

It looks okay. It’s soulless. 😕
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

That every possible topic of pornography is available on the internet.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

Lolz.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited February 23

It seems in yesterday's locals, whilst losing 1 to labour and 1 to lib dems, the conservstives retained the rest and actuslly took one off from SNP in Jedburgh.

I think it may be @stodge who is well versed in locals and it would be interesting to have his take on it

Although one was held with 24% of the vote against a ludicrously splintered opposition.
    That said it wasn't a terrible night for the Tories.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

I bet Trump has never even heard of Reform. I think he would be hard pushed to say what party runs the UK government at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 23

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

He is uninspiring as is the Welsh 20mph policy

This is the latest report on Wales 20mph policy

'Lack of consistency and public engagement' says review into 20mph exceptions

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lack-consistency-public-engagement-says-28687008#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Although one was held with 24% of the vote against a ludicrously splintered opposition.
    See the tory party plan for many of the regional mayors.
  • Options
    eek said:

Weekly polling average.

the More in Common Methodology is to force people saying Don't Know to make a choice (Don't know is still an option but most people when asked again make a decision) - at which point those voters go Tory / Labour in a 2:1 ratio which is why the Tory vote is so high.

Personally I suspect the Tory can't be arsed vote will sit out this election especially if it's a wet Thursday in November...

Edit to add - I suspect this means that More in Common is giving you the absolutely maximum Tory vote which still isn't enough to stop a Labour majority...
    Stick the bulk of that reform vote on top of it though, and the General Election result is a different picture…
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

Trust me, you and Mrs Big G are better off that way.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    The prospect of senior Tories popping up in America shilling for Trump during a UK election campaign can't be discounted as a factor in our election timing.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

That every possible topic of pornography is available on the internet.
    I had no idea that was the case !!!!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,490

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.
    Cute idea, but Starmer isn’t going to appoint a man many Labour supporters see as the architect of Brexit and austerity.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lack-consistency-public-engagement-says-28687008#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
    Oh no, I didn't mean to get you started!
    I was really asking you if you had any evidence for your view that Lammy wasn't any good. I don't think you have.
  • Options
    edited February 23

Leon said:

I agree with you on this. Masters of the Air very disappointing.

It looks okay. It’s soulless. 😕
    It’s bizarrely banal

A complete absence of character story arc. You don’t root for anyone, because you don’t know who they are - so why should you care about them??! This is scriptwriting gcse - make us care - save the cat - yet it hasn’t happened. Why??

Everything else is fine. High quality cinematography etc

I have a theory as to why this is. And why it infests a lot of recent tv/movies

Might make a good Gazette article

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    dixiedean said:

The prospect of senior Tories popping up in America shilling for Trump during a UK election campaign can't be discounted as a factor in our election timing.

In what way do you mean? Given the unpopularity of Trump in the UK to expect Sunak and co might be willing to go earlier to avoid the site of Liz and others stumping obviously for the orange one?
  • Options
    edited February 23

eek said:

Weekly polling average.

Stick the bulk of that reform vote on top of it though, and the General Election result is a different picture…
    I don't know where you get the idea that the Reform vote will swing Tory. If it does I suspect it would be because the tory party actively seek Reform voters and doing so will push some Tory party voters to Labour...

And it actually doesn't help looking at electoral calculus. If 8% of that reform vote goes Tory but 4% of the tory vote goes Labour , Labour end up with the same numbers...

And I simply don't think the Tory party can grab 66% of voters claiming they are going to vote reform.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

Trust me, you and Mrs Big G are better off that way.
    Sounds like it - I need to protect my new pacemaker !!!!!
  • Options

Quirk of main elections being single transferable vote and by elections being first past the post, I think.

There were enough SNP votes to win one seat out of three (and the Conservatives already had the other two), but not one out of one.
  • Options
    edited February 23

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

I can't see that, but I have been wondering if there might be a Blair or El Gord comeback on the way...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.
    Let me guess....
    George Osborne is surely too busy, and having too much fun, to return to the Cabinet, but I did laugh.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.

Oh no, I didn't mean to get you started!
    I was really asking you if you had any evidence for your view that Lammy wasn't any good. I don't think you have.
    We will see soon enough if he is any good but to be fair you raising the 20mph controversy was well timed with the report today, which should be read by all those on PB who are interested or expressed a view as it is very much spot on how most of us see it
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    edited February 23

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

You are plotting the existing points on the graph and assuming the resulting line will continue on the same trajectory for ever more. I don't think that is the case. Politicians are human and react to failure.

The right-wing entertainment complex will be a force pulling the Conservatives away from electability, just as the social media bubble did for a long time with Labour. But eventually the graph changes; politicians learn and adapt.

As for going to war with the institutions: I broadly agree with you that blaming the 'Deep State' for your own failures or babbling on about the 'Tofu-Eating Wokerati' just makes the speaker look like a mad ranting idiot, and those who call on these tropes will keep the party out of government. On the other hand, disagreeing with the notion that the countryside is racist, or that gardening today is an act of unrepentant colonialism, may be met with some approval from the public. It is a matter of picking out individual points of disagreement and not damning entire institutions as 'woke'.
    GIN1138 said:

LDLF said:

Cicero said:

This week's events suggest that both Sunak and Starmer seem to view foreign policy largely as a bit of a nuisance, destined to be refracted through internal party politics. If defence and foreign policy suddenly become the most important issues then it could potentially be Tugendhat's hour - his apparent flaw is that he seems largely uninterested in domestic matters.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Is the 'neo' even necessary? Such as 'neo' is generally used I would take it to assume an old thing in a new form, whereas Putin is quite direct in his classicical imperalist ambitions rooted in phoney history, revanchism, and irredentism.
  • Options

David Cameron is spot on

Interesting idea.
    What possible reason would he have for doing that?
This discussion has been closed.