Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not the performance of a government that is going to be re-elected – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    AlsoLei said:

On topic, it's fascinating to see that people believe by 67% to 22% that Sunak is failing even on the pledge to reduce inflation

I mean, I'm about as far from being a Sunakian as it's possible to get, and even I'll admit that inflation has fallen from where it was a year ago!

So 67% of the population are prepared to kick Sunak for any reason, whether valid or not....

The logic of that is various.

1) The government claimed that inflation was a global matter and of course no fault of the UK government. It is reasonable to suppose that reducing inflation is also nothing to do with government.

2) Many people believe that reducing inflation = prices falling. They have not. So therefore no credit to anyone.

BTW, I am intrigued by the people (11%) who feel that borrowing over £100 billion in the past, current and next year = doing well in cutting debt.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811

“ When Sunak sees this polling he will rule out a May election because he thinks he will need more time to turn the polling around.”

On topic. Will you stop your nonsense! This is a betting site. 😠

The only way the May 2nd can be cancelled now, is if the modelling and war gaming shows it’s a better result held in Autumn. Timing these things is scientific, not whimsical. Objective, not subjective.

Interest rates And high new mortgages arn’t going away by Christmas, nor will figures published this side of an election show much if any economic growth. In fact energy prices tipped to send inflation back upwards by end of the year. That’s the science behind picking the date. And the politics to waiting after May is the growth in boat crossings - showing as very much up on last year then all manner of hell could break out in Tory circles, as not just voters go to reform, but, members, councillors, MPs.

Do you actually want the Conservative Party to get the worst result possible? Is that your game? I think you do. For some reason you can judge as astutely as the rest of us, that May 2nd is the safest moment to fight before the narrative starts to go properly bad - and you are using headers not to guide betting but coax Sunak to Chuck the future existence of the party into a roulette wheel.

But that worse result of 50-100 MPs less from backdrop of a summer and autumn of proper melting down, will not bring a fiscally conservative, working class aspirational, pro business, liberal minded Conservative Party back any quicker, for us can both vote for - it will just make it worse. It will just end up with an even less conservative, even more mindlessly populist main right wing party for ever. ☹️

you pushing the Tories out into all that dangerous narrative the other side of a summer where the boats keep coming, is very dangerous.

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

It is mad to wait. There is no outlook for anything but more difficult electioneering. All the political issues are total moo and in decline. And yet smarkets have very low % for a April-June GE. I just don't get it 🤷 frustration is going to build in the electorate too and Starmer is going to call them yellow. They need to go to the people right now... look at the defense stories adding to tory misery today. Two failed trident launches and we are left without a credible deterrent... all under the tories. More rot will show I guarantee it.
    5 months ago I'd have said it was worth waiting to see if things turn around. Now it is pretty clear things might get even worse the longer it goes on.

But choosing to go early and lose big is hard, even if intellectually they think they'll lose bigger later. Hope springs eternal.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Sora video of a dog typing at a computer

At the 3rd or 4th glance you see the flaws. But damn, it is convincing

https://x.com/picopaco17/status/1760011075485921519?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

It must be terrifying to be in video/Hollywood right now. How can they ever compete with this?

That is good. What flaws did you see? The only thing for me was the paws typing seemed unreal, but that is probably not a flaw but the fact that, well dogs don't have paws that can type like humans, so that might be what they would look like if they did type.
    The flashing blue light makes no sense. Where is it coming from?

The lower half of the dog’s body is weird

Some elements in the background don’t quite add up

But it took me 3 goes to start seeing that. So in a movie length feature you’d get away with it fine, plus this technology will only improve - and perhaps at exponential speed

We will see real life impacts pretty soon
    Yes the lower half of the dogs body is weird and the background is odd when you zoom in. Good spots. I didn't see either.

The blue flashing light jumped out at me when watching, but I just assumed there was meant to be a blue flashing light out of shot.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kjh said:

eek said:

The Speaker should have told them all to get on with something more important. We all want the war to end even if we disagree about precisely how that should happen. And the combatants on both sides couldn't care in the slightest what our parliaments view on it happens to be. It is just grandstanding. Spend the time fixing something that actually can be fixed by parliament instead.

This parliament is doing sod all
    I spoke to an MP last Saturday. I was told they are all standing around twiddling their fingers waiting for the election. Fixed term parliament is another thing this Government has undone unwisely.
    Yes, why anyone thought a return to this nonsense was a great idea is quite beyond me.
    It was in the manifesto of Labour and the Tories, so most of the parliament wanted this.

I liked the principle but in the end it just got bloody silly.
    Yes silly, but not as silly as the mess we got into when we had the FTPA.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

“ When Sunak sees this polling he will rule out a May election because he thinks he will need more time to turn the polling around.”

The only way the May 2nd can be cancelled now, is if the modelling and war gaming shows it’s a better result held in Autumn. Timing these things is scientific, not whimsical. Objective, not subjective.

Interest rates And high new mortgages arn’t going away by Christmas, nor will figures published this side of an election show much if any economic growth. In fact energy prices tipped to send inflation back upwards by end of the year. That’s the science behind picking the date. And the politics to waiting after May is the growth in boat crossings - showing as very much up on last year then all manner of hell could break out in Tory circles, as not just voters go to reform, but, members, councillors, MPs.

Do you actually want the Conservative Party to get the worst result possible? Is that your game? I think you do. For some reason you can judge as astutely as the rest of us, that May 2nd is the safest moment to fight before the narrative starts to go properly bad - and you are using headers not to guide betting but coax Sunak to Chuck the future existence of the party into a roulette wheel.

But that worse result of 50-100 MPs less from backdrop of a summer and autumn of proper melting down, will not bring a fiscally conservative, working class aspirational, pro business, liberal minded Conservative Party back any quicker, for us can both vote for - it will just make it worse. It will just end up with an even less conservative, even more mindlessly populist main right wing party for ever. ☹️

you pushing the Tories out into all that dangerous narrative the other side of a summer where the boats keep coming, is very dangerous.

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

It is mad to wait. There is no outlook for anything but more difficult electioneering. All the political issues are total moo and in decline. And yet smarkets have very low % for a April-June GE. I just don't get it 🤷 frustration is going to build in the electorate too and Starmer is going to call them yellow. They need to go to the people right now... look at the defense stories adding to tory misery today. Two failed trident launches and we are left without a credible deterrent... all under the tories. More rot will show I guarantee it.
    Last night the broker who is sorting out Eek twin A’s mortgage sorted out mortgages for everyone he is dealing with who hadn’t got it finalized because mortgage rates are creeping up again
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,653

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

Most of all it’s the boats. Boat crossings will be up this year, then Badenoch and Jenrick will say we told you this surge was coming, then all hell will break loose before and during the actual campaign. 😞
    Sunak will be praying for a windy summer, or some as-yet unidentified security weakness at the Channel Tunnel or ferry ports giving crossers an easier option.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

December worked last time - maybe it's magic December!? We're still in a slow moving car crash, so the later the better in terms of will the next government have to own it. Annoyingly, Labour have, with Starmer and Reeves, become a just about plausible story for passing the parcel next time. At some point somebody has to get in bed with the LibDems so that the blame can be dumped on them.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

kjh said:

eek said:

The Speaker should have told them all to get on with something more important. We all want the war to end even if we disagree about precisely how that should happen. And the combatants on both sides couldn't care in the slightest what our parliaments view on it happens to be. It is just grandstanding. Spend the time fixing something that actually can be fixed by parliament instead.

I spoke to an MP last Saturday. I was told they are all standing around twiddling their fingers waiting for the election. Fixed term parliament is another thing this Government has undone unwisely.
    Yes, why anyone thought a return to this nonsense was a great idea is quite beyond me.
    It was in the manifesto of Labour and the Tories, so most of the parliament wanted this.

I meant I liked the principle of FTPA but that was what got too silly.

A government unable to get a GE, but then passing an Act to get one with enough votes to trigger one under FTPA.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,081
    "France backs UK as banking mecca, denying Germany win in Brexit surprise"

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-helped-britain-keep-euro-clearing-london-brexit/
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Selebian said:

viewcode said:

Second like somebody famous who came second. Trump probably. Or Dec. Yes, Dec is a good example. Second like Dec. That'll work.

December is 12th, Shirley?
    10th. Clue is in the name.

Implies we should start a new year at the beginning of March. Which would also mean that we could use leap day, every four years, to have an even bigger New Year's Eve party than normal.
    New years day used to be on March 25th in the pre 1700s
    Indeed it did. Which is why the tax year starts on April 6th.
    The difference in days between March 25th and April 6th due to the realignment of calenders in September 1752 by losing 12 days.
  • Options

"France backs UK as banking mecca, denying Germany win in Brexit surprise"

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-helped-britain-keep-euro-clearing-london-brexit/

Us not being in the tent has not wholly removed it being occasionally convenient for either to side with us over the other.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169

AlsoLei said:

On topic, it's fascinating to see that people believe by 67% to 22% that Sunak is failing even on the pledge to reduce inflation

I mean, I'm about as far from being a Sunakian as it's possible to get, and even I'll admit that inflation has fallen from where it was a year ago!

So 67% of the population are prepared to kick Sunak for any reason, whether valid or not....

Or they just don't understand what inflation is a measure of. How many of them think inflation falling = prices falling? Lots, I'd guess. Including most politicians.
    I said this many, many months ago. That Sunak had failed to explain what his policy means. And because he didn't do that, the public think he has failed. No sense.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I do love procedural wrangling. This one is especially tasty because

a) a (good) procedure Hoyle put in place has come back to bite him, and

b) the quotes from Labour figures to BBC Newsnight totally throw Hoyle under the bus by acknowledging he was essentially instructed to do it or he would lose his job as Speaker after the election.

Totally undermines whatever rationale he might have, however reasonable that is, with the party going 'yeah, we strongarmed him'.

Same, I love a good constitutional crisis.

With Sir Peter Bottomley standing down at the election, who is likely to be the Father/Mother of the House after the general election?

Their first act will be to preside over the election/re-election of a Speaker.

Anyhoo, pop quiz PBers, what was so special about Henry Campbell-Bannerman's stint as Father of the House?
    Only Father of the House to be a serving, as opposed to ex-, PM?
  • Options

Bet accordingly for London Mayor:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h
    My phone just rang on the Tube on 5G in between stations. What has Sadiq Khan done?

By far the most transformative policy in years.
    Another major project delivery on Khan's cv. He might not be the most inspiring mayor ever, but he gets shit done.

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    I think SKS will surprise on the upside based on what he has done with Labour. But I accept I am a bit biased!

Will proudly vote for Sadiq for the third time though.
  • Options

I am so flipping cross.

My word, you're even wronger now than when you said the Privileges Committee wouldn't suspend Boris Johnson two days before they suspended him.
  • Options

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

Betting wise there is potential value (Smarkets) in all quarterly markets except the current one (!) and Oct-Dec (80%). IMHO July-September is best value but DYOR.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

Most of all it’s the boats. Boat crossings will be up this year, then Badenoch and Jenrick will say we told you this surge was coming, then all hell will break loose before and during the actual campaign. 😞
    Sunak will be praying for a windy summer, or some as-yet unidentified security weakness at the Channel Tunnel or ferry ports giving crossers an easier option.
    If not for fear of a boat heavy summer I still wonder if Cameron would have reached his EU deal so early.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,428

I am so flipping cross.

My word, you're even wronger now than when you said the Privileges Committee wouldn't suspend Boris Johnson two days before they suspended him.
    I have nothing more to say to you, or on the matter 😤
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h
    My phone just rang on the Tube on 5G in between stations. What has Sadiq Khan done?

Another major project delivery on Khan's cv. He might not be the most inspiring mayor ever, but he gets shit done.

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    • Crappy Central Line service...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

kjh said:

eek said:

I meant I liked the principle of FTPA but that was what got too silly.

A government unable to get a GE, but then passing an Act to get one with enough votes to trigger one under FTPA.
    Apart from anything else the FTPA working as it should would prevent most or much political/betting discussion as it currently stands on PB, where the issue of when the next election might be is constantly raised from about 2 years in, like right now, by me, and others. Long may this pointless and compelling discussion be allowed to continue.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,020

Why are our elected politicians twatting around about a ceasefire in a conflict between two combatants who couldn't really give a toss about what we want them to do? What's the point? Any sane person (difficult to find in this parliament, admittedly) would say a ceasefire in any conflict would be a damn fine thing. What's to discuss? Haven't they got stuff to debate around things they actually do have control of, like the PO scandal, the state of the economy, why the armed forces are on their arse...
    Or is that too hard for them?

Spot on.

I watch the Daily Politics (or whatever it's called these days) daily and I reckon 60% of this week's output so far has been on the exact wording of a ceasefire call from four UK political parties that have no method of effecting such a ceasefire in a country that is a) several thousands of miles away and b) is the theatre of a war in which neither belligerent wants a ceasefire.

It's totally bizarre. As you say, it's not as if there aren't lots of major problems that our beloved politicians are responsible for that need addressing.
  • Options

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

I am starting to come round to your view that there might be some influencers within government that think 2 May is the least-worst option. I don't even get the feeling that Sunny Boy cares that much about being PM much longer, in any case.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,674

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    I think that was delivered many years before Khan!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

(Something wrong with my keyboard again, must get that looked at)
    How can anyone think that Truss isn't the worst PM ever, let alone the worst recent PM?
    Some look back on those six weeks as the halcyon days of British government, @Ominium, the gold standard by which all other administrations – worldwide – must be measured.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,709

Why are our elected politicians twatting around about a ceasefire in a conflict between two combatants who couldn't really give a toss about what we want them to do? What's the point? Any sane person (difficult to find in this parliament, admittedly) would say a ceasefire in any conflict would be a damn fine thing. What's to discuss? Haven't they got stuff to debate around things they actually do have control of, like the PO scandal, the state of the economy, why the armed forces are on their arse...

Spot on.

I watch the Daily Politics (or whatever it's called these days) daily and I reckon 60% of this week's output so far has been on the exact wording of a ceasefire call from four UK political parties that have no method of effecting such a ceasefire in a country that is a) several thousands of miles away and b) is the theatre of a war in which neither belligerent wants a ceasefire.

It's totally bizarre. As you say, it's not as if there aren't lots of major problems that our beloved politicians are responsible for that need addressing.
    It's much easier for politicians to spend time talking about things they can't actually do anything about than things they can.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    edited February 21
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

How can anyone think that Truss isn't the worst PM ever, let alone the worst recent PM?
    Perhaps they are familiar with the record of Lord Goderich?

Or indeed William Pulteney, Earl of Bath?
  • Options
    edited February 21

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Some look back on those six weeks as the halcyon days of British government, @Ominium, the gold standard by which all other administrations – worldwide – must be measured.
    I'm going to get all picky about your 'some'.

You imply more than one. I don't believe a word of that.

Anyway, too busy listening to the tie-wearing Corbyn talk nonsense to wish to compete.

Edit: Corbyn: What a chump
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    Perhaps the Tories should stop cutting his funding.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Anyway, too busy listening to the tie-wearing Corbyn talk nonsense to wish to compete.

He was better in the old days when he was no noose.
  • Options
    edited February 21

Spot on.

FWIW it's because the exact wording, and also who is proposing the wording, give very particular political messages about who is in charge and who you actually support.

The Tories: basically support Israel but want a resolution and don't want to be found on the wrong side of history

Labour: want to be the government, our government has always supported Israel so they must too, but vast numbers of their members and traditional voters don't, and support Palestine. But they need 2 million Tory voters on board urgently and now.

The SNP: basically support Palestine and are accusing Israel of a war crime.

Lenin's question: Who? Whom? is the top issue here.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Spot on.

FWIW it's because the exact wording, and also who is proposing the wording, give very particular political messages about who is in charge and who you actually support.

The Tories: basically support Israel but want a resolution and don't want to be found on the wrong side of history

Labour: want to be the government, our government has always supported Israel so they must too, but vast numbers of their members and traditional voters don't, and support Palestine. But they need 2 million Tory voters on board urgently and now.

I know why they think it matters, but it doesn't – not to The Man on the Clapham Omnibus. It's Westminster Village in the extreme.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Well there is Elizabeth Truss, Mary Truss and ME Truss – so that's at least three without even thinking too hard.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    edited February 21

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Who are those people? Masochists or Comedians?

Edit - just realized I forgot Ms Truss’s extracurricular interests
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Well there is Elizabeth Truss, Mary Truss and ME Truss – so that's at least three without even thinking too hard.
    Was it Truss who assumed some great military rank? (Maybe it was Mordaunt, although I feel perhaps she actually has some military history)
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 609
    TimS said:

I am so flipping cross.

Agree 100%

Irregular crossings by vehicle or ferry are up 60% year on year, and if you were to be really cynical you might wonder if the government are already quietly trying to ease up controls around that...

https://inews.co.uk/news/migrant-crushed-death-lorry-crossings-2880646
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    :innocent:
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Sora video of a dog typing at a computer

At the 3rd or 4th glance you see the flaws. But damn, it is convincing

https://x.com/picopaco17/status/1760011075485921519?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

It must be terrifying to be in video/Hollywood right now. How can they ever compete with this?

That is good. What flaws did you see? The only thing for me was the paws typing seemed unreal, but that is probably not a flaw but the fact that, well dogs don't have paws that can type like humans, so that might be what they would look like if they did type.
    It’s very confused about the lighting - the blue light illuminates the rear of the monitor and the dogs face simultaneously. I think it’s been trained to expect things in front of monitors to be illuminated by the blue tinted glow of a white screen, but then has extended this lighting to the back of the monitor because it doesn’t understand that that isn’t how light works.

But it’s still very impressive. As someone has pointed out elsewhere: this is the worst this technology is ever going to be. How good is it going to get is the question.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    edited February 21
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

b) the quotes from Labour figures to BBC Newsnight totally throw Hoyle under the bus by acknowledging he was essentially instructed to do it or he would lose his job as Speaker after the election.

Totally undermines whatever rationale he might have, however reasonable that is, with the party going 'yeah, we strongarmed him'.

With Sir Peter Bottomley standing down at the election, who is likely to be the Father/Mother of the House after the general election?

Anyhoo, pop quiz PBers, what was so special about Henry Campbell-Bannerman's stint as Father of the House?
    He was the only Father of the House to be the incumbent Prime Minister.
    Who is the only Leader of the House to be the recumbent Prime embodiment of arrogance, entitlement, disrespect and contempt for Parliament? Answers in picture form please.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Was it Truss who assumed some great military rank? (Maybe it was Mordaunt, although I feel perhaps she actually has some military history)
    I thought it was Field Marshal Paul Nuttall VC.

(seriously, though, I think it was Mordaunt, who made a junior rank in the RNVR sound grander than it was.)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Field Marshall Air Chief Marshall Admiral Mary Elizabeth Truss?

Yes, you remember correctly.
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    So are you a Tory now?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    When he succeeds it’s his genius. When he fails it’s ruddy Tories.

😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    stjohn said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

He was the only Father of the House to be the incumbent Prime Minister.
    Who is the only Leader of the House to be the recumbent Prime embodiment of arrogance, entitlement, disrespect and contempt for Parliament?
    Well, he sounds a veritable beast, perhaps a Moggster.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Spot on.

It doesn't matter to our population. I can't see the average Joe hunkered down in some Gaza rubble caring too much about it. Our politicians love a bit of wanky performance art, though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

(seriously, though, I think it was Mordaunt, who made a junior rank in the RNVR sound grander than it was.)

Isn't Vorders a Group Captain?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Spot on.

I know why they think it matters, but it doesn't – not to The Man on the Clapham Omnibus. It's Westminster Village in the extreme.
    What if the whole population fill out oneof those recall petition thingies? Get an early election that way!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Admirals are the ones who count down, shurely?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

She must be senior army as I keep hearing that she gets lots of privates standing to attention.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    Get this through your head: Sadiq had fuck all to do with Crossrail getting "done".

I was there. He was a complete melon obsessed only by PR and media and someone no-one respected.

He was in office and simply that. Nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

She must be senior army as I keep hearing that she gets lots of privates standing to attention.
    She gets saluted by numbers.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478

algarkirk said:

Spot on.

It doesn't matter to our population. I can't see the average Joe hunkered down in some Gaza rubble caring too much about it. Our politicians love a bit of wanky performance art, though.
    If there is one thing all politicians across the party political divide love, it’s grandstanding on international affairs despite the fact that this country has not had a truly independent foreign policy for decades.

I think they all enjoy pretending it’s the 1930s and these debates have some kind of seismic bearing on international affairs.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,993

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    The service is Epping terrible.
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    Get this through your head: Sadiq had fuck all to do with Crossrail getting "done".

I was there. He was a complete melon obsessed only by PR and media and someone no-one respected.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/01/sadiq-khan-takes-control-crossrail/
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Spot on.

What if the whole population fill out oneof those recall petition thingies? Get an early election that way!
    Genius idea!!!
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    In other news, Stats watchdog criticises Treasury tax cut claims. Chair of the UK statistics watchdog has rebuked a Treasury minister for 'Trotting out nonsense' that risked "miselading" or "confusing" the public.'
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Tories taken their bats home.
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/01/sadiq-khan-takes-control-crossrail/
    That was Andy Byford, not Sadiq Khan.

Sadiq did fuck all. The man's an idiot.

I know some ex-New Labour SPads - two of whom worked on the project- who laughed when his name was mentioned.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,856
    Jeez can the Tories in the Commons get a grip . Talk about a hysterical reaction to Hoyles earlier decision .
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Spot on.

It's exactly that.

Israel/Gaza is effectively a form of political masturbation.
  • Options
    Mordant says Tories ot taking any further part in today's opposition day debate as they have no confidence in Hoyle after he caved to SKS pressure
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Seems to be a Tory and SNP alliance developing in fury at the Speaker allowing this Labour amendment on Gaza.

A Tory MP just shouted 'Eleanor for Speaker'
  • Options
    Surely now Labour's amendment passes
  • Options
    LDs voting for SNP and Labour motions so House votes for ceasefire
  • Options
    Taz said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

😂😂😂😂
    His posts are hilarious.
  • Options
    Pathetic and childish toys out of the pram by the Tories who having failed to embarrass Labour now throw a strop .

• Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

I know some ex-New Labour SPads - two of whom worked on the project- who laughed when his name was mentioned.
    Khan seems to have not quite done anything, not quite been guilty of anything, and so far as anyone can tell just banking his salary. A remarkably smart dimwit.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Pathetic and childish toys out of the pram by the Tories who having failed to embarrass Labour now throw a strop .

Well if they had not done this they would have won surely as they have the numbers?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

Khan seems to have not quite done anything, not quite been guilty of anything, and so far as anyone can tell just banking his salary. A remarkably smart dimwit.
    Indeed, his strong record of major project delivery just happened by pure accident.

Only on PB.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Well if they had not done this they would have won surely as they have the numbers?
    The Tories would easily win their vote so it’s really pathetic grandstanding.
  • Options

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

Indeed, his strong record of major project delivery just happened by pure accident.

Only on PB.
    Go on then - tell me about Khan's skills in major project delivery.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Ah, the apologist for Azhar Ali has rocked up. The man who the concerns about his antisemitism was fake offence from Tories.

How did that work out for you ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,081
    edited February 21
    Thread on the failure of sanctions on Russia from Ed Conway:

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1760348194741891241

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Admirals are the ones who count down, shurely?
    Rear Admiral Rachel Riley really rolls off the tongue
  • Options
    edited February 21
    There would have been no London Underground 4G/5G without Mayor Khan.

I was involved with the delivery of the project on behalf of one of the four MNOs.

He might be absolutely useless on the rest of it but I can speak to that one specific example where he pushed it forward. Johnson never bothered.
  • Options
    edited February 21
    Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

He’s clearly not stupid and he is, like Boris, lucky with his opponents but his so called achievements are clearly overstated by partisan labour supporters. His record on housebuilding is lamentable.

I couldn’t vote for any candidate in London, if I lived there.

WiFi on the underground was being worked on when I was working at tubelines 15 years ago.
  • Options

Taz said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

😂😂😂😂
    His posts are hilarious.
    I learn from the very best.
  • Options

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

Only on PB.
    HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

You are ignorant of the facts. But, if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that total ignorance of the facts is absolutely no obstacle to people having strong and irrefutable opinions they insist are correct.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

He’s clearly not stupid and he is, like Boris, lucky with his opponents but his so called achievements are clearly overstated by partisan labour supporters. His record on housebuilding is lamentable.

WiFi on the underground was being worked on when I was working at tubelines 15 years ago.
    Wi-Fi has absolutely nothing to do with the current project. The Wi-Fi project was so laughably unambitious they didn’t even get past the platforms. Wi-Fi was a fallback when they couldn’t get a supplier for 3G at the time.
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile
    The service is Epping terrible.

Is it TPE levels of poor performance ?
  • Options

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

Only on PB.

You are ignorant of the facts. But, if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that total ignorance of the facts is absolutely no obstacle to people having strong and irrefutable opinions they insist are correct.
    I don’t doubt what you say on Crossrail at all but on the 4G/5G rollout he absolutely was.
  • Options

I was involved with the delivery of the project on behalf of one of the four MNOs.

He might be absolutely useless on the rest of it but I can speak to that one specific example where he pushed it forward. Johnson never bothered.

There would have been no advance from the stone ages without ...

It's ridiculous to associate progress with those who happen to be in office when it takes place.

If you did then in the UK the Tories would be unassailable,
  • Options
    edited February 21

Mordant says Tories ot taking any further part in today's opposition day debate as they have no confidence in Hoyle after he caved to SKS pressure

Bit of an overreaction to be honest. If the Labour sources' account are true then Hoyle sold his integrity as Speaker for sake of personal politics, but it's still only a single procedural ruling.

Do they plan to boycott the Commons until he goes? If not, then what's gained by just pulling out for the day?
  • Options

nico679 said:

Presumably, there was enough in the SNP motion that the Conservatives could justify to themselves voting against, whereas the Labour motion didn't give them that option without looking unacceptably heartless.

Fairly pathetic game playing all round, really.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

Only on PB.

In recent years they've been put straight in the Cabinet.
  • Options
    edited February 21
    Omnium said:

It's ridiculous to associate progress with those who happen to be in office when it takes place.

Johnson had two terms to deliver a 3G/4G solution and could not be bothered to. Khan delivered it on round two.

Now I don't doubt Johnson's successor would have delivered it too but in reality he didn't despite having ample time to do so.

So this is really not an attempt at partisanship in this particular case, I am speaking from my work.

London in general has poor mobile coverage compared to our competitors and Khan has not been good on that. He has not challenged the silly NIMBYs and councillors rejecting the infrastructure for no reason and for that he's had strong criticism from me.
  • Options
    edited February 21

algarkirk said:

Spot on.

Recall petitions require a triggering event, to avoid being abused by people just not liking an MP or the way they vote, which is what elections are for. So we may need to get even more creative.
  • Options

Well, that isn't true. The sponsors instruction from TfL to rollout 4G on Crossrail and integrate into LU came out to us in 2015, when Boris Johnson was still mayor.
  • Options
    To be fair to the Tory supporters, Bodlyn has been fairly poor on the rollout thus far, with many delays and milestones missed.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Johnson had two terms to deliver a 3G/4G solution and could not be bothered to. Khan delivered it on round two.

Now I don't doubt Johnson's successor would have delivered it too but in reality he didn't despite having ample time to do so.

So this is really not an attempt at partisanship in this particular case, I am speaking from my work.

London in general has poor mobile coverage compared to our competitors and Khan has not been good on that. He has not challenged the silly NIMBYs and councillors rejecting the infrastructure for no reason and for that he's had strong criticism from me.
    Well its daft to tar governments with a lack of incidental progress too. (Not sure what you're saying)
  • Options

Taz said:

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

Wi-Fi has absolutely nothing to do with the current project. The Wi-Fi project was so laughably unambitious they didn’t even get past the platforms. Wi-Fi was a fallback when they couldn’t get a supplier for 3G at the time.
    I know WiFi’ is not 4G or 5G you doofus.

I’m saying trying to get communication onto the underground is nothing new, has been worked on in one guise or another for many years, and this is not down to Khan’s genius. In spite of whatever tribal crap you spout.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Spot on.

I really doubt if Labour would take that much of a hit if they did what their members wanted on this one. It might not accord with some of those former Tory voters they want the votes of, but there's many other factors drawing them in which would not be affected.
  • Options

Well, that isn't true. The sponsors instruction from TfL to rollout 4G on Crossrail and integrate into LU came out to us in 2015, when Boris Johnson was still mayor.
    The instruction to deliver 4G on the Tube came way after that. I am not talking about Crossrail, I am talking about the Tube.

Crossrail was done seperately and has been latterly joined up. Actually one of the reasons it is currently stuck on 4G only is because the infrastructure they installed is not capable of N78.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Bit of an overreaction to be honest. If the Labour sources' account are true then Hoyle sold his integrity as Speaker for sake of personal politics, but it's still only a single procedural ruling.

Do they plan to boycott the Commons until he goes? If not, then what's gained by just pulling out for the day?
    SNP and Tories have now both walked out.

SNP claim now that their are only 2 options theirs should be put first.

Deputy Speaker says no.

Looks like there may be no tellers so no vote at all.

Hoyle needs to go
  • Options
    Taz said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

😂😂😂😂
    That's just standard politics - take credit for the good things, blame others for the bad things. So it's hard to get that especially mad at Khan for doing it.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

I know WiFi’ is not 4G or 5G you doofus.

I’m saying trying to get communication onto the underground is nothing new, has been worked on in one guise or another for many years, and this is not down to Khan’s genius. In spite of whatever tribal crap you spout.
    I don't know what you're so angry about.

It has not been worked on until the work Bodlyn started last year, there was a small pilot in 2020 on the Jubilee Line involving leaky feeders but they have NEVER done a commercial rollout prior to that. Boris Johnson did not achieve it. Those are the facts.

I am here talking to you with good grace, you could at least afford me the same courtesy.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What a mess in the HoC. The deputy speaker has the patience of a saint.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Well its daft to tar governments with a lack of incidental progress too. (Not sure what you're saying)
    I was only saying that Boris Johnson didn't deliver 3G/4G on the Tube in his entire time as Mayor and Khan has. That's all I am saying.

I was then trying to talk about the technicalities of the project having been involved in it but if that's not of interest I am very happy to move onto something else?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Truss you say? T...

Perhaps they are familiar with the record of Lord Goderich?

Or indeed William Pulteney, Earl of Bath?
    I think Liz Truss is a key supporter of him being counted as an official PM.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    There’s a chance that this government might be re-elected? Is this breaking news?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,993

Omnium said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    1h

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X
    • Underground mobile

Only on PB.

It’s an attitude that has kept PB going for 20 years. (HYUFD waves and BJO waves back).
This discussion has been closed.