Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Are the Tories set to lose ALL of their Welsh Seats? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited February 15 in General
Are the Tories set to lose ALL of their Welsh Seats? – politicalbetting.com

? Poll suggests Labour would win 84% of Welsh seats in GE2024, amid a Tory wipeout in Wales.? LAB 22 (+9)? PC 4 (+2)? LD 1 (+1)? CON 0 (-12)Based on @RedfieldWilton poll, 24-26 Jan (+/- vs 2019) pic.twitter.com/el9NR033MK

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Its highly plausible - why would anyone vote Tory...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    🤞 .
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Entirely possible.
    Is this a sub sample or a proper poll?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    Also a good projected result for Plaid

Unlike the SNP they are advancing
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    I am always vaguely surprised that they have Welsh seats. It doesn't seem like natural Conservative environment, being very communal by English standards.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I am always vaguely surprised that they have Welsh seats. It doesn't seem like natural Conservative environment, being very communal by English standards.

White flight to the Celtic fringe?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,243
    Evisceration of Sturgeon by Susan Dalgety.

All political careers end in failure.

Hers has crashed and burned. It’s delicious.

https://x.com/janela_x/status/1753695678948163927?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    Not sure about Carmarthenshire with Simon Hart. His main opponent will be a PC. Not sure whether Plaid can capitalise. I'm sure in Mid Pembrokeshire Crabb will be toast.. (Crab toast?)..Large Labour vote I suspect from Haverfordwest and Pembroke Dock.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, probably, yes.

But then they're set to lose an immense number of seats all over.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

This is an incredible story. A woman expresses perfectly legal “gender critical” views on Twitter

She is also a fan of the Toon

She is then investigated by some creepy “agency” within the Premier League, they compile an entire dossier on her life and doings, right down to where she walks her dog, the file is passed to NUFC - who ban her from the ground for two seasons

All for saying “a woman can’t have a penis”

https://x.com/speechunion/status/1753528554929947067?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

I'm always suspicious of this kind of story. Woman says she was banned due to this one legal comment, it might turn out the club says she's been banned due to other reasons entirely. There's normally more to it.
    Perhaps, yes

But the Free Speech Union is quite diligent - they take on and WIN big legal cases (unlike Jo “kimono” Maugham)
    Indeed. The question is the cases they take on

* Lawrence Fox calls somebody a paedo: FSU is silent
    * Mad BBC lady rants on about Jews: FSU is silent
    * Toon lady says woman can't have penis: FSU IS GO! ALL FSU CRAFT LAUNCH
    * NOW!

#PBFreeSpeech
    May be they recognize that there is a limit to free speech and that ranting about Jews or calling someone a paedo isn’t on?
    That was the point I was making. The United Kingdom does not have free speech, has never had free speech, does not want free speech, and will crawl for miles over broken glass to prevent free speech from existing. The only question is about where do you draw the line, and the line is not drawn by rationality nor logic but on a case-by-case basis according to the whims and fancies of the rich at any given moment. My disillusionment with the UK has many fathers, but one of them was when Toby Young said in the Express that some trans person should not say something because it was ideology. The prospect of a free speech defender repressing speech because he disdained it was one of those brain-snapping moments.

This is why I invented the #PBFreeSpeech tag: so I could keep track of it.
    There are limits to speech in every single society that there has ever been or will be.

Someone with a potty mouth can come up with something the most ardent free speech activist will want banned.
    So why do we continually pretend it exists and laud ourselves for it? Why does the FSU call itself the "Free Speech Union" instead of the "Rich People Preferred Speech Enforcement Division" (RPPSED). Remember how people used to quote the phrase "I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Have you noticed how they don't do that now and haven't for some time?

PB has developed a side-hustle: everybody somebody says something it convenes an emergency Committee Of Public Safety, discusses the matter in the most shallow terms (John Stuart Mill! Hate Speech! Free Speech! Kimono!), pronounces and moves on.

#PBFreeSpeech
    Everyone ever has limits to speech.

Free Speech (TM) always meant “Relatively free speech, with penalties and prohibitions for only the most egregious statements”

There is a definite uptick in “it offends me therefore it is hate speech”

There is an uptick the other way - “I am a nice person. Therefore {insert crap about the Jews that Edward I would have said was Fucked In The Head} isn’t racism”

It’s almost as if the real world needs balance, moderate policies and lots of exceptions judged on a case by case basis.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    boulay said:

FF43 said:

Last night two teenagers were sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering someone simply because she was a woman with a penis.

Thought I would mention it because those most enthusiastically posting about women with penises on this board, haven't got round to mentioning it themselves.

They didn’t murder her “simply because she was a woman with a penis”. Her death was a horrific act by two disgusting people who wanted to kill someone, anyone and their tragic victim’s transgender identity was an additional - secondary according to the judge who actually sat through all the evidence - factor.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/02/brianna-ghey-murderers-named-sentenced-to-life-in-prison

It’s pretty grim of you to use this as some sort of point scoring post. Hope you feel virtuous now.
    From the judge's sentencing statement:

Your messages about Brianna were transphobic. You consistently referred to her in a way that was dehumanising, calling her “it”. You also described her as a “femboy thing”. When discussing killing Brianna, you agreed with Scarlett that she would be the easiest victim and said “and I want to see if it will scream like a man or a girl.” After the failed attempt on 28 January and in answer to Scarlett expressing her desire to see Brianna suffering, you said “Really all I wanted is to see what size dick it had”. Because Scarlett is an unreliable witness, I will not use her evidence that you “had a problem with” gay and transgender people against you. Nor will I dwell on the unpleasant messages about someone being gay and what you might do to them. But in your messages about Brianna, you undoubtedly displayed hostility towards her based on her transgender identity.

Yes I am making a free speech point. The hatred towards trans people that these two fed off is real. I don't think the hatred is due to trans people being over enthusiastic in claiming their rights. Free speech enables people to say what they want. It also allows them not to say what they probably should.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    Yay - a Wales thread.

As usual there are long-term trends (= socio-economics) and short-term fluctuations (= politics) to weigh up. The NE Wales red wall has been slowly trending Tory for decades as the mines and steelworks are replaced by un-unionised sunrise tech industries and the brick shit-houses where the miners used to live are surrounded by sunrise owner-occupied Barrett homes. The Tory vote may stay at home but I doubt if the Labour vote will increase much.

I'd have a fiver on the Tories holding Wrexham. The Independent-Tory 'city' council has ridden its luck in recent years and Sarah Atherton is locally popular. And evidence of the Wales Labour Government's incompetence is all too prominent - from the disastrous failure to repair local roads and bridges to the unstoppable mass-murderer Betsi Cadwalladr.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    Even allowing for the new boundaries, I'm dubious about any poll that shows Labour making such major advances in Powys. Remember, they haven't even come second in Montgomeryshire since 1955 (and that was because the Tories didn't stand against Clement Davies).

I expect the Tories to go backwards but I'll be surprised if they disappear entirely a la 1997.
  • Options

Yay - a Wales thread.

As usual there are long-term trends (= socio-economics) and short-term fluctuations (= politics) to weigh up. The NE Wales red wall has been slowly trending Tory for decades as the mines and steelworks are replaced by un-unionised sunrise tech industries and the brick shit-houses where the miners used to live are surrounded by sunrise owner-occupied Barrett homes. The Tory vote may stay at home but I doubt if the Labour vote will increase much.

I'd have a fiver on the Tories holding Wrexham. The Independent-Tory 'city' council has ridden its luck in recent years and Sarah Atherton is locally popular. And evidence of the Wales Labour Government's incompetence is all too prominent - from the disastrous failure to repair local roads and bridges to the unstoppable mass-murderer Betsi Cadwalladr.

Similarly in the south east some of the old Labour strongholds have been gentrifying after the Severn Bridge tolls were abolished. And they're pretty pissed off about the roads in that area from all I see and hear - especially the shambles over the M4 Relief Road and the stupidity of dualling the Heads of the Valleys at vast expense to speed traffic up, only to then impose a highly restrictive speed limit.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    A rare bit of Welsh discussion on PB. Say it Caerphilly: the Tories are toast.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Last night two teenagers were sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering someone simply because she was a woman with a penis.

Thought I would mention it because those most enthusiastically posting about women with penises on this board, haven't got round to mentioning it themselves.

They didn’t murder her “simply because she was a woman with a penis”. Her death was a horrific act by two disgusting people who wanted to kill someone, anyone and their tragic victim’s transgender identity was an additional - secondary according to the judge who actually sat through all the evidence - factor.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/02/brianna-ghey-murderers-named-sentenced-to-life-in-prison

It’s pretty grim of you to use this as some sort of point scoring post. Hope you feel virtuous now.

Your messages about Brianna were transphobic. You consistently referred to her in a way that was dehumanising, calling her “it”. You also described her as a “femboy thing”. When discussing killing Brianna, you agreed with Scarlett that she would be the easiest victim and said “and I want to see if it will scream like a man or a girl.” After the failed attempt on 28 January and in answer to Scarlett expressing her desire to see Brianna suffering, you said “Really all I wanted is to see what size dick it had”. Because Scarlett is an unreliable witness, I will not use her evidence that you “had a problem with” gay and transgender people against you. Nor will I dwell on the unpleasant messages about someone being gay and what you might do to them. But in your messages about Brianna, you undoubtedly displayed hostility towards her based on her transgender identity.

Yes I am making a free speech point. The hatred towards trans people that these two fed off is real. I don't think the hatred is due to trans people being over enthusiastic in claiming their rights. Free speech enables people to say what they want. It also allows them not to say what they probably should.
    They just wanted to kill someone. Who exactly they killed was almost irrelevant.
  • Options

That pun be Neath our usual standards.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    Revealed: France's bottled water plants widely used fraudulent purifying techniques
    For years, bottlers have used illegal purification techniques for water labeled as 'spring' and 'natural mineral.' A joint investigation by Le Monde and Radio France reveals that at least a third of France-based brands are implicated, including subsidiaries of Nestlé, which has admitted to these practices. The French government has been aware of this since 2021. In response, it quietly eased regulations.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/environment/article/2024/01/30/revealed-france-s-bottled-water-plants-widely-used-fraudulent-purifying-techniques_6477927_114.html (£££)

Le Spring de Peckham. Le corruption de Paris.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

This is an incredible story. A woman expresses perfectly legal “gender critical” views on Twitter

She is also a fan of the Toon

She is then investigated by some creepy “agency” within the Premier League, they compile an entire dossier on her life and doings, right down to where she walks her dog, the file is passed to NUFC - who ban her from the ground for two seasons

All for saying “a woman can’t have a penis”

https://x.com/speechunion/status/1753528554929947067?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

I'm always suspicious of this kind of story. Woman says she was banned due to this one legal comment, it might turn out the club says she's been banned due to other reasons entirely. There's normally more to it.
    Perhaps, yes

But the Free Speech Union is quite diligent - they take on and WIN big legal cases (unlike Jo “kimono” Maugham)
    Indeed. The question is the cases they take on

* Lawrence Fox calls somebody a paedo: FSU is silent
    * Mad BBC lady rants on about Jews: FSU is silent
    * Toon lady says woman can't have penis: FSU IS GO! ALL FSU CRAFT LAUNCH
    * NOW!

#PBFreeSpeech
    May be they recognize that there is a limit to free speech and that ranting about Jews or calling someone a paedo isn’t on?
    That was the point I was making. The United Kingdom does not have free speech, has never had free speech, does not want free speech, and will crawl for miles over broken glass to prevent free speech from existing. The only question is about where do you draw the line, and the line is not drawn by rationality nor logic but on a case-by-case basis according to the whims and fancies of the rich at any given moment. My disillusionment with the UK has many fathers, but one of them was when Toby Young said in the Express that some trans person should not say something because it was ideology. The prospect of a free speech defender repressing speech because he disdained it was one of those brain-snapping moments.

This is why I invented the #PBFreeSpeech tag: so I could keep track of it.
    There are limits to speech in every single society that there has ever been or will be.

Someone with a potty mouth can come up with something the most ardent free speech activist will want banned.
    So why do we continually pretend it exists and laud ourselves for it? Why does the FSU call itself the "Free Speech Union" instead of the "Rich People Preferred Speech Enforcement Division" (RPPSED). Remember how people used to quote the phrase "I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Have you noticed how they don't do that now and haven't for some time?

PB has developed a side-hustle: everybody somebody says something it convenes an emergency Committee Of Public Safety, discusses the matter in the most shallow terms (John Stuart Mill! Hate Speech! Free Speech! Kimono!), pronounces and moves on.

#PBFreeSpeech
    Everyone ever has limits to speech.

Free Speech (TM) always meant “Relatively free speech, with penalties and prohibitions for only the most egregious statements”

There is a definite uptick in “it offends me therefore it is hate speech”

There is an uptick the other way - “I am a nice person. Therefore {insert crap about the Jews that Edward I would have said was Fucked In The Head} isn’t racism”

It’s almost as if the real world needs balance, moderate policies and lots of exceptions judged on a case by case basis.
    A good answer, and better than the others ("incoherent" my arse).

But it would be better if the case-by-case basis was underpinned by principle instead of "I like/dislike this therefore". The US system is better than UKs, with the line more biased to freedom. In UK it is CurrentThingOfTheWealthy. The Fox case shocked me: if a spoilt wealthy talentless fop can't speak without a quarter mill in damages, where does that leave the diligent poors?
  • Options
    143 the deficit a good day for India.
  • Options
    [deleted]
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Even allowing for the new boundaries, I'm dubious about any poll that shows Labour making such major advances in Powys. Remember, they haven't even come second in Montgomeryshire since 1955 (and that was because the Tories didn't stand against Clement Davies).

I expect the Tories to go backwards but I'll be surprised if they disappear entirely a la 1997.

It was the 1997 wipe-out that convinced the Conservatives the whole electoral system was corrupt and therefore justified putting a blue thumb on the scale.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    If the Tories held one seat in Wales it would likely be Clwyd West, however that is being abolished via boundary changes and split into other seats which will be less safe for the party
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

They just wanted to kill someone. Who exactly they killed was almost irrelevant.
    Unfortunately the murder was a logical extension of "children can do no wrong" attitude in schools and home at the moment. This stems from parents and grandparents getting away with things and school managements being unable to say nay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If the Tories held one seat in Wales it would likely be Clwyd West, however that is being abolished via boundary changes and split into other seats which will be less safe for the party

Why Clwyd West (assuming no abolition)? Serious question.
  • Options
    114-1 to 253 all out is not a great performance with the bat.
  • Options
    Sir Bob Neill to stand down after his wife suffered a stroke

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68190390

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791
    ydoethur said:

Alternatively it was a great performance with the ball and in the field.......
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Could be both.

As Allan Donald rather dryly said of Devon Malcolm in 1994, 'his rhythm was superb, his line was perfect and our batting made him look irresistible.'
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Taz said:

Perhaps once her acolytes get a drubbing in election we will get back to the business of independence where support is ever stronger but now a mess due to the SNP derailing it for personal grifting. Hopefully we will see several court cases this year and some jailing , establishment can only stall them for so long.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,521
    ydoethur said:

That pun be Neath our usual standards.
    Not sure it's so bad that we need to hear Wales of lament about it.

And on topic, the key question is how badly the Conservatives end up doing nationwide. The raw Labour lead is about what it was in Summer '96. And then there was detectable swingback happening and some of the polls in the average weren't getting the shy Tory thing right, exaggerating the Labour lead.

Taking the numbers at face value, the Conservatives are currently heading for a defeat on the scale of 1997, if not worse. Why should they hold any Welsh seats?
  • Options

If they hold on to a few seats would this now count as a black swan? See it could be interpreted either way.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

143 the deficit a good day for India.

At this rate 143 might be a good day for the Tories at the next election.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Yes and no. They wanted to kill someone; it was just that their proposed targets were all people who were, in their eyes, marginalised. In the same way that if they had wanted to just beat someone up, the person they would have chosen would have been similarly 'other' in their eyes. The person they chose to kill was trans; and the way they spoke about her makes it fairly clear that the act was both homophobic *and* transphobic.

That seems fairly open-and-shut to me.

Brianna was targeted for murder, and she was targeted because she was trans.
    They had a list of things/people they hated so it could easily have been anyone else, they were twisted and no pontificating on motives other than they wanted to kill someone will make any difference.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Finally, an opportunity:

I've been digging into the 20mph controversy in Wales to try and work out if there is an underlying cause for the hysteria (other than the malign actions of the Sunderland Conservative Party). And there is one!

There is data available on short commutes of less than 2km, or 1.2 miles, from the E&W census. That kind of commute would take most people up to 25 minutes by foot, up to 8 minutes by bicycle.

There is a peculiar Welsh tendency to drive these very short distances. The E&W average for driving distances less than 2km is 46%, while places like Merthyr Tydfil, Torfaen, Brigend and so on are over 60%. There are a few English areas, like Dudley and Warrington, in there too, but 9 of the top 10 areas are in Wales.

Can anyone suggest a reason why? The difference exists even after taking account of higher car availability in Wales - for example, Rutland in England has very high car ownership but most people will walk a commute less than 2km, while most of their Welsh counterparts will drive.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

I've been digging into the 20mph controversy in Wales to try and work out if there is an underlying cause for the hysteria (other than the malign actions of the Sunderland Conservative Party). And there is one!

There is data available on short commutes of less than 2km, or 1.2 miles, from the E&W census. That kind of commute would take most people up to 25 minutes by foot, up to 8 minutes by bicycle.

There is a peculiar Welsh tendency to drive these very short distances. The E&W average for driving distances less than 2km is 46%, while places like Merthyr Tydfil, Torfaen, Brigend and so on are over 60%. There are a few English areas, like Dudley and Warrington, in there too, but 9 of the top 10 areas are in Wales.

Can anyone suggest a reason why? The difference exists even after taking account of higher car availability in Wales - for example, Rutland in England has very high car ownership but most people will walk a commute less than 2km, while most of their Welsh counterparts will drive.

Health reasons may be a factor. A lot of people there with complex health needs. Have you compared them to the poorer parts of Glasgow?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,764
    edited February 3
    Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

"Is there a reason"?

Yes: Cars are convenient and useful and driving is the best way to get around.

Especially if there's no shortage of parking etc like there is in overcrowded cities.

And if you own a car for a 10 mile drive, or a 100 mile drive, why not use it for a 2 mile one too?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

In the style of yoda....

Slow car differential voting makes.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Took her 10 years to spot it , not exactly showing she has any journalistic skills. These people were praising Sturgeon to the rafters long long after most people knew the truth, strange they kept it very secret in the media till now.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives won it even under Michael Howard, the Tories got over 50% there in 2019 and it was strong Leave (unlike Monmouth which was also Tory in 2005). It is the strongest Tory prospect v Labour certainly.

Overall however yes Montgomeryshire may be safer still as the Tories had a 13,000 majority over the LDs and it is a rural seat
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Took her 10 years to spot it , not exactly showing she has any journalistic skills. These people were praising Sturgeon to the rafters long long after most people knew the truth, strange they kept it very secret in the media till now.
    Sturgeon mastered the art of talking nonsense in a very convincing way.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

Health reasons may be a factor. A lot of people there with complex health needs. Have you compared them to the poorer parts of Glasgow?
    I shall get back to you!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Yes and no. They wanted to kill someone; it was just that their proposed targets were all people who were, in their eyes, marginalised. In the same way that if they had wanted to just beat someone up, the person they would have chosen would have been similarly 'other' in their eyes. The person they chose to kill was trans; and the way they spoke about her makes it fairly clear that the act was both homophobic *and* transphobic.

Great though that the principle of edge cases within a specific context can’t be used to label a whole bunch of people is now accepted. It is, right?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives won it even under Michael Howard, the Tories got over 50% there in 2019 and it was strong Leave. It is the strongest Tory prospect v Labour certainly.

Overall however yes Montgomeryshire may be safer still as the Tories had a 13,000 majority over the LDs and it is a rural seat
    Brecon and Radnor and Monmouth are also safer. And Monmouth was also won under Howard even if it broke slightly for remain.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Conservatives won it even under Michael Howard, the Tories got over 50% there in 2019 and it was strong Leave (unlike Monmouth which was also Tory in 2005). It is the strongest Tory prospect v Labour certainly.

The Lembit legacy long-lasting, it would appear
  • Options
    Interesting tweet here.

Challenge:

Find me another country in Europe that have a larger population of males that are overweight, walking around with a vape and energy drink in hand, only care about football and accumulators and are full of stress, aggression and hate than the UK right now.

Want to see how social programming truly works?

Just look at the UK and what's happened to it.

Look at how sick and run down most towns and people are.

Find me another country in Europe where it's glaringly obvious more so than the UK right now.........
    8:15 AM · Feb 1, 2024

https://x.com/ajrobertsshow/status/1752968950135066673?s=20
    ·
    Views
  • Options
    edited February 3

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

In the style of yoda....

Slow car differential voting makes.
    Taking into account the poll posted above, the Welsh like driving short distances very slowly.

Perhaps it's the beautiful scenery.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

You’d be struggling to find any of Dalgety’s output that doesn’t involve having a go at Sturgeon or the SNP. It pretty much defines her journalistic skills, such as they are.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

I shall get back to you!
    By car or on foot? :smile:

It also occurs to me that Dudley, Merthyr and Torfaen (less so Bridgend) are very hilly. Might that be a factor as well?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,476
    Betting. 🐎 Racing. Tips.

Sandown 2.00 - In Excelsis Deo
    Leopardstown 2.25 - Facile Vega
    Musselburgh 2.50 - Benson
    Sandown 3.45 - Blackjack Magic

Only another 37 Sleeps till the Fez 🥹
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

I just hope their parents are not targeted! Might be argued that they’ve not done a great job, but still……
  • Options
    This all feeds into the relentless declinism in the uk and the feeling that things are truly broken. Even many areas of poland are as rich as some areas of the uk now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If it hadn’t been for that idiot Lembik Opik it might still be a LibDem seat.
  • Options
    The 20mph limit fits into this. A silly policy that only inconveniences people with minimal benefit.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

20% more likely to be raining in Wales than in England at any given time.
  • Options

This all feeds into the relentless declinism in the uk and the feeling that things are truly broken. Even many areas of poland are as rich as some areas of the uk now.

Let me guess do we need a strong leader who likes to ride horses perhaps?
  • Options
    How long until our new member is commenting on Russia?
  • Options

Many of the people i know are calling for just that and these are moderate conservatives too.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It went early, but the truth is that since the tuition fees debacle the Lib Dems have pretty much ceased to exist as an organised force in Wales. They aren’t even second in Ceredigion any more and Cardiff Central is now solidly Labour. They’re barely more relevant in the Senedd.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Or vaccines.

Which still makes me wonder why, given that time has passed and that's no longer an issue (not that it ever was).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Or vaccines.

Which still makes me wonder why, given that time has passed and that's no longer an issue (not that it ever was).
    Renee hoenderkamp tv doctor disagrees.

had a very fit 21 year old patient who got myocarditis after his 2nd moderna. He has myocardial fibrosis and now can't pursue his dream job; the army.
    He did not need a vaccine.
    He was bullied and coerced in to it.

https://x.com/DrHoenderkamp/status/1752778878093832196?s=20
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Or vaccines.

Renee hoenderkamp tv doctor disagrees.

had a very fit 21 year old patient who got myocarditis after his 2nd moderna. He has myocardial fibrosis and now can't pursue his dream job; the army.
    He did not need a vaccine.
    He was bullied and coerced in to it.

https://x.com/DrHoenderkamp/status/1752778878093832196?s=20
    Bye.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

I'm sure there is hatred. I wouldn't want to underplay it and it has always been there for trans people. But most of the hatred on this issue in recent years has, I'm afraid, been coming from those who want to prioritise gender based over sex based rights. Look at the abuse directed at all those who have questioned the trans affirming narrative. Have many people taking a very pro trans position on this debate faced ostracism, abuse and threats?
  • Options

The 20mph limit fits into this. A silly policy that only inconveniences people with minimal benefit.

And reduces our reliance on Russian oil.

Mwahahaha
  • Options
    Speaking of the ukraine war russians are on the verge of taking Avdiivka.

The defense of Avdiivka has reached a critical situation. The fortress is on the verge of being cut and falling. Zaluzhny is trying to resign before the capture of Avdiivka by the Russians, so that he can then blame Zelensky for everything.

SnowStorm | Collapse of Avdiivka | The Crisis In Kyiv Is Worsening. Military Summary For 2024.02.02

https://x.com/MilitarySummary/status/1753496615950696862?s=20
  • Options
    On topic, just think how bad it would be for the Tories if it wasn't for the 20 mph speed limits.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It went early, but the truth is that since the tuition fees debacle the Lib Dems have pretty much ceased to exist as an organised force in Wales. They aren’t even second in Ceredigion any more and Cardiff Central is now solidly Labour. They’re barely more relevant in the Senedd.
    Yes, Clegg made a lot of mistakes with the Coalition. Shame because the idea as a whole wasn’t a bad one.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

No, we value the lives of pedestrians in Wales. 20mph is particularly appropriate around schools. Granted, it could have had a better implementation.

Have they not tried urban speed limits in Russia yet? I've seen Russian dash cam footage. I think that might help. Dosvedanya comrade.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

20% more likely to be raining in Wales than in England at any given time.
    Hmm. I shall see if I can get rainfall data at LA level.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    edited February 3
    FPT, but indignation demands redemption.
    Leon said:

NOT ONE OF YOU HAS MENTIONED THIS STORY

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/02/britons-on-the-scarcity-of-public-toilets

And yet you bang on and on about the bloody cricket. Why?? Why one and not the other?

The only conclusion is that you want to keep cricket popular SO YOU CAN GO AND POO ALL OVER CRICKET GROUNDS - then blame it on the lack of public conveniences. How “convenient” for you

Admit it. First chance you get you’ll be doing jobbies at Headingley. You disgust me

I did. Yesterday.

I don't know why I bother, what with people ducking out.

Following up on my flagging up a report of Dacorum Council engaging contractors to spy on people having a widdle in the countryside cause no public khazis, and giving the contractors mostd of the proceeds.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/29/english-council-littering-fines-peeing-in-countryside-dacorum-hertfordshire

As Wiki says, "Not to be confused with Decorum."

BTW Dacorum was Tory for 20 years until last year. Now LD.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

I shall get back to you!

It also occurs to me that Dudley, Merthyr and Torfaen (less so Bridgend) are very hilly. Might that be a factor as well?
    Those were just examples FYI. It's a pretty pervasive trend across Wales.

But Wales is pervasively hilly.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

ydoethur said:

Lightening probably won't strike twice but England are arguably more in this game than they were at their low point in the first.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

She was targeted because she was vulnerable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

Though what's the cause and what's the effect there?

Safe active travel is good for us.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

I'm inclined to agree with the mother's' opinion that one was indeed so motivated. I don't think she was point scoring either.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/02/brianna-ghey-family-victim-impact-statements-trauma-loss
    ..“I have moments where I feel sorry for them because they have also ruined their own lives, but I have to remember that they felt no empathy for Brianna when they left her bleeding to death after their premeditated and vicious attack, which was carried out not because Brianna had done anything wrong, but just because one hated trans people and the other thought it would be fun.”.

It's true to say that they might well have killed someone else had the opportunity arisen.
    It is a horrific case.
  • Options

Betting. 🐎 Racing. Tips.

Sandown 2.00 - In Excelsis Deo
    Leopardstown 2.25 - Facile Vega
    Musselburgh 2.50 - Benson
    Sandown 3.45 - Blackjack Magic

Only another 37 Sleeps till the Fez 🥹

38 imo.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Lightening probably won't strike twice but England are arguably more in this game than they were at their low point in the first.
    Definitely. But as they said in his interview, Bumrah has the second best average ever of a bowler to take 150 test wicets, and this was his best performance in a home Test. Sometimes just give credit to the other side.
  • Options
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

Frightened of being run over.
  • Options

Many of the people i know are calling for just that and these are moderate conservatives too.
    It would only really work over here if he would do it shirtless to attract the gay vote too.
  • Options
    Why did we ban him so quick?

He was so obviously a troll no one would take it seriously, plus he was quite entertaining

I think we should be a little more lenient, it adds to the gaiety of the site. Also, he didn’t break any rules
  • Options

Yup, those Russian armies trying to get to Kyiv must be furious at not being able to move quickly.
  • Options
    I'm quite offended by the lack of subtlety* from our Russian trolls, within seven posts they are banging on about vaccines and Ukraine.

*Yes, I am aware of the irony of me calling out others for a lack of subtlety.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Thanks for that. I missed it.
    Striking is approval.
    Starmer +1
    Sunak -38.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Definitely. But as they said in his interview, Bumrah has the second best average ever of a bowler to take 150 test wicets, and this was his best performance in a home Test. Sometimes just give credit to the other side.
    Yeah, sometimes the other side are just brilliant. Well done India.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

That's not entirely true - on the list of their targets were those they held grudges against, which goes to motive as well as opportunity.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

She was targeted because she was vulnerable.
    Again, yes and no. If she had not been vulnerable, they *may* not have attacked her. They were two young kids. But there was a plethora of other vulnerable people they could have chosen, e.g. the elderly. And ones they might have got away with it enough to actually do the full things they wanted (which was not just murder).

Yet the people they shortlisted were all 'others'. And the person they picked - and tried to kill twice (they tried to poison her first) was trans. And they made a load of anti-trans comments.

So no. It was not *just* the fact she was vulnerable.
  • Options

Yup, those Russian armies trying to get to Kyiv must be furious at not being able to move quickly.
    Putin, on sanctions, in an FT piece (£) about the ‘resilient Russian economy’

‘“They predicted decline, failure, collapse — that we would stand back, give up, or fall apart. It makes you want to show [them] a well-known gesture, but I won’t do that, there are a lot of ladies here,” Putin said to a round of applause. “They won’t succeed! Our economy is growing, unlike theirs.”

Russia’s president gloated that Russia’s economy had not only withstood an onslaught of sanctions from western countries — but was now bigger than all but two of them. He was referring to the World Bank’s ranking of GDP by purchasing power parity, by which Russia slightly edges ahead of Germany. “All of our industry did their part,” he said.’

Are they going to win?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

boulay said:

FF43 said:

Great though that the principle of edge cases within a specific context can’t be used to label a whole bunch of people is now accepted. It is, right?
    What do you mean?
  • Options

No, we value the lives of pedestrians in Wales. 20mph is particularly appropriate around schools. Granted, it could have had a better implementation.

Have they not tried urban speed limits in Russia yet? I've seen Russian dash cam footage. I think that might help. Dosvedanya comrade.
    Good morning

We do agree generally on the 20mph limit and it seems it is accepted across the political divide that it will be reviewed and changes made

It is, with respect, the misinformed who think this is a conservative battle as it is far wider and involves many who are Labour and Plaid supporters and those who are not politically motivated

Once the review is completed and the changes made later this year, then it should cease to be an issue
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

Speaking of the ukraine war russians are on the verge of taking Avdiivka.

The defense of Avdiivka has reached a critical situation. The fortress is on the verge of being cut and falling. Zaluzhny is trying to resign before the capture of Avdiivka by the Russians, so that he can then blame Zelensky for everything.

SnowStorm | Collapse of Avdiivka | The Crisis In Kyiv Is Worsening. Military Summary For 2024.02.02

https://x.com/MilitarySummary/status/1753496615950696862?s=20

Amazing how an 'objective' news source on the Ukraine war doesn't find time to mention the sinking of a Russian warship or the attacks on Russia's oil infrastructure.

Good morning anyway. Or should I say afternoon/evening/night?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited February 3
    On topic as things stand the conservatives are likely to lose all their seats in Wales at GE24
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    I think it's unlikely the Tories will lose Montgomeryshire.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

I shall get back to you!

Is it the danger of getting run over by mad Welsh drivers ?
    Perhaps that's the true rationale for the 20mph limit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why did we ban him so quick?

He was so obviously a troll no one would take it seriously, plus he was quite entertaining

I think we should be a little more lenient, it adds to the gaiety of the site. Also, he didn’t break any rules

The mad vaccine stuff.
    It's under a similar ukase to AI generated images.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Finally, an opportunity:

I shall get back to you!

Is it the danger of getting run over by mad Welsh drivers ?
    Perhaps that's the true rationale for the 20mph limit.
    Good point. I can see why you'd want to drive with so many opposed to road safety measures. Vicious cycle.
  • Options
    It’s not good news that the Russian economy is growing faster than any G7 nation

It’s an uncomfortable fact, but a fact we have to confront. It’s also an incentive for Putin to continue the war: he’s stalled the Ukraine advances, America is losing interest. And now his economy is - relatively - surging, which allows him to buy and make more weapons

Meanwhile, Germany is in recession
This discussion has been closed.