Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This looks an interesting bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

I'd been under the impression it was considered not quite in good taste to bet on people dying or becoming seriously ill.

But if that's not right, there must be a wealth of actuarial data to help in assessing bets like this.

It used to be illegal to bet on the death of an individual, especially the death of the monarch. That's where the insurance principle of "insurable interest" comes in. I don't know if it's still the case following the liberalisation of betting laws in the Blair/Brown years. But I do know that betting was suspended when Boris got COVID.
    Didn't the Tories propose "survivor bonds", a modern from of tontines, a few years ago?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    boulay said:

Chris said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

My tip to drink wine out of a sherry glass is as relevant to weight loss as it is to combatting alcoholism btw.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Alcoholism is a disease not a throwaway word.

If you're an alcoholic then the safe amount of alcohol to consume is zero, glass size doesn't matter.

If you're not an alcoholic, then don't abuse the word.
    Ok I’m gonna defend @kinabalu here

Stop being such a dogmatic, tin-eared, insensitive twat. I was teasing him earlier but actually @kinabalu has written quite eloquently if briefly about his problems with booze addiction. He knows this subject

PB has morphed into a self help group for ageing and cantankerous men who know too much about polling and often need to lose weight but we are also that, a social group, and your remarks are antisocial and crude, so do shut up
    Well this makes a pleasant change. Normally if I see I've been tagged by you I brace myself for something gratuitous and upsetting.
    Well, if you stopped your effete attempts to get me banned, or your snide accusations that I’m some lurid Nazi, perhaps I’d be a little nicer to you

However you are a valued old voice in the pub of PB, which is pleasantly situated in the Belsize Park of civilised debate, and I will defend any of the regulars against obviously unfair criticism, or crude insults, even including you

And now all is good because @BartholomewRoberts has apologised. As you were
    I've never tried to get you (or anyone) banned. The one single occasion you're referring to was actually the dead opposite. I saw you posting images that had an "AI" feel to them and I thought to myself, "Oh no, if he does that he'll be banned because the Site has very firm rules against it. I'd better just nip in and give him a heads up so that that doesn't happen. Maybe he isn't thinking straight today." And it worked. You pointed out that the image was not AI (it was just a photo of a doll you had in your bedroom) and therefore all was well. Because of me.

As for "lurid Nazi", I doubt I've ever said that about you but if I have it was unfair and injudicious (I was probably on my 3rd sherry glass of wine) and I'm happy to resile. Lurid, yes, but Nazi would be seriously overegging it. You're vanilla hard(ish) right of the National Populist variety. Nothing that terrible.
    Backing down in the face of ardent irrationality just makes you look limp.
    But I never have called him a Nazi or tried to get him banned. Which I suppose IS a bit limp, come to think of it. Shape up me!
    He’s not a Nazi simply because currently it would make him a pariah.

If the Nazis were at 15% of the UK polls, he’d be out there claiming to have been a founder member.

No-one who has read any history can fail to see how dangerous are his ilk.
    Undoubtedly they are. It's a ghastly type of politics that Leon is in the grip of. Seems to swallow any old right wing trope. However "Nazi", no not in that ballpark imo. I probably wouldn't come on here if I felt that - since it would be a forum with 30% of the posts written by a Nazi.
    Even zis Nazi?

That's not Michael Vaughan, is it?
    That's an MP18, not a cricket bat.
    Well he's branched out now - had to, after that "you lot" affair.

But ok, what is the pic then? Something I should know, I bet?
    You haven't seen JoJo Rabbit?

The film describe by *Mel Brooks* as the best comedy on the Nazis he'd seen in years?
    No, I haven't seen that. But have there actually been many comedies on the Nazis for it to beat? Top of my head I can only think of Springtime and Allo Allo.

Most Nazi stuff I've come across is light on the chuckles. Although Leon does have his moments, I suppose.
    Downfall is funny, especially that scene where Hitler does that impression of Gordon Brown in the bunker and when Mr and Mrs Goebbels mix up their children’s calpol with poison with hilarious consequences.
    The scene with the Goebbels family singers is rather unforgettable.
    It does brutally show the truth of the old adage that under the Nazis your singing family was only safe if you had a friendly nun who sang about mittens on kittens.
    Preferably one willing to sabotage Nazi vehicles.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

My tip to drink wine out of a sherry glass is as relevant to weight loss as it is to combatting alcoholism btw.

If you're an alcoholic then the safe amount of alcohol to consume is zero, glass size doesn't matter.

Stop being such a dogmatic, tin-eared, insensitive twat. I was teasing him earlier but actually @kinabalu has written quite eloquently if briefly about his problems with booze addiction. He knows this subject

PB has morphed into a self help group for ageing and cantankerous men who know too much about polling and often need to lose weight but we are also that, a social group, and your remarks are antisocial and crude, so do shut up
    Well this makes a pleasant change. Normally if I see I've been tagged by you I brace myself for something gratuitous and upsetting.
    Well, if you stopped your effete attempts to get me banned, or your snide accusations that I’m some lurid Nazi, perhaps I’d be a little nicer to you

However you are a valued old voice in the pub of PB, which is pleasantly situated in the Belsize Park of civilised debate, and I will defend any of the regulars against obviously unfair criticism, or crude insults, even including you

I've never tried to get you (or anyone) banned. The one single occasion you're referring to was actually the dead opposite. I saw you posting images that had an "AI" feel to them and I thought to myself, "Oh no, if he does that he'll be banned because the Site has very firm rules against it. I'd better just nip in and give him a heads up so that that doesn't happen. Maybe he isn't thinking straight today." And it worked. You pointed out that the image was not AI (it was just a photo of a doll you had in your bedroom) and therefore all was well. Because of me.

As for "lurid Nazi", I doubt I've ever said that about you but if I have it was unfair and injudicious (I was probably on my 3rd sherry glass of wine) and I'm happy to resile. Lurid, yes, but Nazi would be seriously overegging it. You're vanilla hard(ish) right of the National Populist variety. Nothing that terrible.
    But I never have called him a Nazi or tried to get him banned. Which I suppose IS a bit limp, come to think of it. Shape up me!

If the Nazis were at 15% of the UK polls, he’d be out there claiming to have been a founder member.

Undoubtedly they are. It's a ghastly type of politics that Leon is in the grip of. Seems to swallow any old right wing trope. However "Nazi", no not in that ballpark imo. I probably wouldn't come on here if I felt that - since it would be a forum with 30% of the posts written by a Nazi.
    Talking of Nazis if anyone still goes to the cinema the Cannes Palme d'Or winner is finally out at the cinema. Directed by the excellent Jinathan Glazer and based on the book by Martin Amis 'Zone of Interest' is a most unusual film. Anyone who is interested in cinema shouldn't miss it. It's set just outside Auschwitz and it concentrates on the family of the commandant. Extraordinary soundtrack
    Yes I read about it. Sounds quite an original take. Challenging too since they wanted to show them as a normal family yet prevent the audience experiencing even a shred of empathy. And the soundtrack is key to achieving that apparently. That's what this review said.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502
    Chris said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

That's not Michael Vaughan, is it?
    That's an MP18, not a cricket bat.
    Well he's branched out now - had to, after that "you lot" affair.

But ok, what is the pic then? Something I should know, I bet?
    You haven't seen JoJo Rabbit?

The film describe by *Mel Brooks* as the best comedy on the Nazis he'd seen in years?
    No, I haven't seen that. But have there actually been many comedies on the Nazis for it to beat? Top of my head I can only think of Springtime and Allo Allo.

Most Nazi stuff I've come across is light on the chuckles. Although Leon does have his moments, I suppose.
    Downfall is funny, especially that scene where Hitler does that impression of Gordon Brown in the bunker and when Mr and Mrs Goebbels mix up their children’s calpol with poison with hilarious consequences.
    The scene with the Goebbels family singers is rather unforgettable.
    The bit where the Labour activist resigns after the Glenrothes By-election was a keeper.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,078
    isam said:
    RIP, he was an excellent presenter
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,050
    Nigelb said:

Nicely done by the Biden team.

We’re sorry this is happening to you,
    @FoxNews

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1753464359517380742

Don't know. Feels a bit like they are trolling their enemies. Independents may find it a little tiresome.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    isam said:
    Smoking kills, kids. Don’t do it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894
    HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews
    Shock headline of the day:
    ‘Russia finds “errors” in paperwork of candidate hoping to stand against Putin’.
    https://x.com/JohnSimpsonNews/status/1753484116522406146?s=20

Once again the curious balancing act of dictators who don't want to admit to being dictators. Let someone stand knowing you have enough support/control that it won't matter? Just kill anyone who speaks out even if no threat? Bully them off the ballot? 'Admin error' them off it? Fake the vote entirely, or just massage it?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

isam said:
    Not really the most tasteful comment of the day.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited February 2
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Talking of Nazis if anyone still goes to the cinema the Cannes Palme d'Or winner is finally out at the cinema. Directed by the excellent Jinathan Glazer and based on the book by Martin Amis 'Zone of Interest' is a most unusual film. Anyone who is interested in cinema shouldn't miss it. It's set just outside Auschwitz and it concentrates on the family of the commandant. Extraordinary soundtrack
    Yes I read about it. Sounds quite an original take. Challenging too since they wanted to show them as a normal family yet prevent the audience experiencing even a shred of empathy. And the soundtrack is key to achieving that apparently. That's what this review said.
    All that is correct. It's the ordinariness of the family and their idyllic lifestyle that contrasts with what we know to be happening without seeing anything and a slightly disturbing soundtrack. It was all in German and subtitled which was also intriguing as neither the Director nor Martin Amis are/were German speakers
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,078

isam said:
    Especially as he was a non smoker
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,472
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

A propos very little on this Friday evening and in lieu of wittering on about Nazis:

The split of Conservative & Reform vs Labour, Liberal Democrats & Greens - in December 2019 it was 48-47.

We Think: 34-63
    Techne: 33-61
    YouGov: 35-61
    Survation: 34-58
    Redfield & Wilton: 34-62
    Deltapoll: 38-59
    Savanta: 36-59
    Opinium: 37-58
    People Polling: 34-62
    Ipsos: 31-63

Put all that reform onto the conservatives, and BJO has the casting vote on the destiny of the UK.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Even zis Nazi?

That probably is about 30% of people posting on here 😆
    Personally, I'd put myself at no more than about 15% Nazi, so there must be some more extreme people pulling up the average :open_mouth:
    Or just 1 with Hitler desktop wallpaper?
  • Options

stodge said:

A propos very little on this Friday evening and in lieu of wittering on about Nazis:

The split of Conservative & Reform vs Labour, Liberal Democrats & Greens - in December 2019 it was 48-47.

Put all that reform onto the conservatives, and BJO has the casting vote on the destiny of the UK.
    MexPet instantly gave that a like. That’s his sense of humour covered.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nicely done by the Biden team.

We’re sorry this is happening to you,
    @FoxNews

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1753464359517380742

Don't know. Feels a bit like they are trolling their enemies. Independents may find it a little tiresome.
    The jokes are better than the other side can manage though. Classy v Crassy. May as well use that ability.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:
    It was brain cancer spread to the lungs, I think I read. Very sad in any case.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews
    ‘Russia finds “errors” in paperwork of candidate hoping to stand against Putin’.

Once again the curious balancing act of dictators who don't want to admit to being dictators. Let someone stand knowing you have enough support/control that it won't matter? Just kill anyone who speaks out even if no threat? Bully them off the ballot? 'Admin error' them off it? Fake the vote entirely, or just massage it?

isam said:
    Apologies. Seems he was the 10% with lung cancer who didn’t get it through smoking.

Actually seems it was lung cancer that spread to his brain, so I don’t know what to think now…
  • Options
    I don't know how many of you have perused the social media posts of Dawn Queva, a schedule coordinator at BBC 3 but they make for interesting reading, if that is the right word.

Why highlight what is just one more deranged anti semitic rant when there are thousands (millions?) out there. Well she works for the national broadcaster and if an employee of GB News said something similarly offensive I think it is fair to say they'd be many a person wanting to focus on it. Secondly there is the creative use of language from someone who is clearly not without a vocabulary or I presume education. Finally there is the frankness of her behaviour. We all know there are plenty of bigots who hide their beliefs for fear of being ostracised by polite society. Yet presumably she doesn't seem to have considered that holding such views would cause her to be in trouble with the guardians of mainstream cultural life in the UK. What sort of social ecosystem does she inhabit?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

stodge said:

MexPet instantly gave that a like. That’s his sense of humour covered.
    Sorry, my fat fingers, I meant to give you a flag.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    It was brain cancer spread to the lungs, I think I read. Very sad in any case.
    Nope, other way round. But yes sad and with young kids.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Was he? Its possible to get lung cancer in non smokers, but you can count yourself as rather unlucky if you do.
  • Options

Survation have started doing fortnightly polls.

https://www.survation.com/labour-maintains-a-stable-17-point-lead/

NEW: Westminster Voting Intention from Survation’s fortnightly tracker.

LAB 44 (-1)
    CON 27 (-1)
    LD 11 (+1)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (+2)
    OTH 5 (+1)

F/w 30th - 31st January. Changes vs. 18th December 2023.

Daveygate not cutting through as predicted by the fan boys. Most perplexing.
    But the fact the Tories in for the last nine years are the main reason this becoming a huge scandal, not addressed quickly enough when obvious it’s a huge scandal, isn’t cutting through either.

They were so sharp to hit the microphones first when the drama was on, the Tories have dodged the bullets on this one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Was he? Its possible to get lung cancer in non smokers, but you can count yourself as rather unlucky if you do.
    It does happen. Eg Pesto's wife.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    It does happen. Eg Pesto's wife.
    Absolutely. A bit less than 1 in 10 on figures I was looking at today for a lecture.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,361

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.
    Happened to someone I knew pretty well. Bloody awful. Young kids etc.

Could be air pollution? Diesel particulates etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews

I know: people have no idea how hard it is being a dictator
  • Options
    edited February 2

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

Could just be random bad luck
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

Cancer usually needs many small things to get started. Some just bad luck - certain mutations in a cell line, some genetic predisposition as in triple negative breast cancer and BRCA, some will be environmental.
    My leukaemia is based on a single fusion gene (two genes that shouldn’t b3 linked get joined with very bad consequences). When you are diagnosed it’s natural to look for reasons, but very often you are just unlucky.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

Or just straight bad luck.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460

I don't know how many of you have perused the social media posts of Dawn Queva, a schedule coordinator at BBC 3 but they make for interesting reading, if that is the right word.

Why highlight what is just one more deranged anti semitic rant when there are thousands (millions?) out there. Well she works for the national broadcaster and if an employee of GB News said something similarly offensive I think it is fair to say they'd be many a person wanting to focus on it. Secondly there is the creative use of language from someone who is clearly not without a vocabulary or I presume education. Finally there is the frankness of her behaviour. We all know there are plenty of bigots who hide their beliefs for fear of being ostracised by polite society. Yet presumably she doesn't seem to have considered that holding such views would cause her to be in trouble with the guardians of mainstream cultural life in the UK. What sort of social ecosystem does she inhabit?

You'd be surprised how little time I spend perusing the social media posts of minor channel schedule coordinators, BBC3 or GB News. Heck, I do not even know what a schedule coordinator is.

Let me guess, the Free Speech union has found another cause to champion? Some right wing or left wing techie has programmed an AI chatbot to search the social media posts of anyone even remotely in the public eye in order to get them cancelled?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Apologies for tipping Angola earlier; much closer match than the odds said, but Nigeria progress.

DR Congo moderate overdogs vs Guinea but latter look v lively and up for it after 10 mins.
  • Options

You'd be surprised how little time I spend perusing the social media posts of minor channel schedule coordinators, BBC3 or GB News. Heck, I do not even know what a schedule coordinator is.

Let me guess, the Free Speech union has found another cause to champion? Some right wing or left wing techie has programmed an AI chatbot to search the social media posts of anyone even remotely in the public eye in order to get them cancelled?
    OK, I've found this.

A SENIOR BBC staffer has branded Jews "Nazi parasites" who funded the "holohaux" and called white people a "virus" in vile posts.

Dawn Queva, a senior co-coordinator who supports the scheduling team for BBC Three, shared a number of hateful posts attacking both communities.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25671971/senior-bbc-dawn-queva-jews-parasites-virus/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,361
    Ghedebrav said:

Apologies for tipping Angola earlier; much closer match than the odds said, but Nigeria progress.

DR Congo moderate overdogs vs Guinea but latter look v lively and up for it after 10 mins.

South Korea beat Australia in the Asian Cup quarters.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    Ghedebrav said:

I thought Angola looked good too.

Nigeria have only conceded 1 goal in 5 games, so a good base to go all the way.

DRC seem to be draw experts.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

1-0 down now though. Cracking peno from Bayo. Not sure it was a penalty though.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    What has Rishi got left to turn the dial?

I note Labour is now mostly 20+ points ahead.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews

I've mentioned before I've always admired Emperor Palpatine. Say what you will about him being a tyrannical wizard despot, the dude put in effort over four decades to control both sides of a civil war and then rule more powerfully than ever. He only lost because the one thing he did not foresee was animate teddy bears proving to be useful. His evil powers were only one element of his skill.

In fact the unspoken truth of many fictional evil leaders is they must have fantastic administrative and management skills to accomplish what they did and organise what they did.

I admire real life dictators less, but they aren't all lazy even if some are, especially over time when simple brutality works.
  • Options

The rear-guard action vs Reform probably more important for the Tories at this point.
  • Options

OK, I've found this.

A SENIOR BBC staffer has branded Jews "Nazi parasites" who funded the "holohaux" and called white people a "virus" in vile posts.

Dawn Queva, a senior co-coordinator who supports the scheduling team for BBC Three, shared a number of hateful posts attacking both communities.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25671971/senior-bbc-dawn-queva-jews-parasites-virus/

Other posts repeatedly attack white people, calling them a “virus” and “mutant invader species”...

Ms Queva, whose location is listed as London on her Linkedin profile, also brands the UK “bigoted” and “genocidal” and claims white Europeans are “melanin-recessive parasites”, reports the Telegraph.

She must find getting through the day quite difficult. The UK definitely has bigots though, she's right about that, and far closer to home than she may think. Like in the mirror close.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

The rear-guard action vs Reform probably more important for the Tories at this point.
    Probably, but they haven't committed to that approach, so risk just looking confused.
  • Options
    @rcs1000 -- had a couple of Cloudflare timeouts to vf. Everything OK at pb hq?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews

Uneasy is the head that wears the crown.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,238
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

I have always been a bit uncomfortable with fictionalisation of the holocaust.

However there is one film that I thought captured a fragment of that hell, and which was a truly astonishing piece of art.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/son-of-saul/

I never want to watch it again, It was nevertheless exceptional.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955
    viewcode said:

This weeks polling average - with clouds especially for @MoonRabbit

No real overall movement as YouGov's and Savanta's changes are opposite and effectively cancel each other out.

There it is. 🤗 The Breakspear Of Political Destiny.

Happy fluffy oblivious clouds, above an angry angry world.

I did mean though that your little unjointed up floating lines were like clouds, to me, it doesn’t really need extra clouds. Though it is terribly strange and artistic with them.
    Little fluffy clouds? CUE THE ORB!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxg-15TfHg
    I'll think you'll find this is the *correct* version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge-dNTCX9wo

(the live 'Spanish Castles...' is also the correct version)

(I 100% wasn't full of pills when I watched them perform this live around that time)

(not quite 100%)
  • Options

I suspect even some seasoned antisemites might think she'd gone too far.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    edited February 2

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

Cancer usually needs many small things to get started. Some just bad luck - certain mutations in a cell line, some genetic predisposition as in triple negative breast cancer and BRCA, some will be environmental.
    My leukaemia is based on a single fusion gene (two genes that shouldn’t b3 linked get joined with very bad consequences). When you are diagnosed it’s natural to look for reasons, but very often you are just unlucky.
    We're slowly edging towards Samuel Butler's Erewhon - a dystopia in which illness is considered to be a crime but criminality is regarded as a temporary, treatable indisposition.
  • Options

Only in getting exposed, and risk outing more of them beyond that bubble where as the first post noted she doesn't even consider it might get her in trouble, at least not any trouble she thinks will be significant.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews

I've mentioned before I've always admired Emperor Palpatine. Say what you will about him being a tyrannical wizard despot, the dude put in effort over four decades to control both sides of a civil war and then rule more powerfully than ever. He only lost because the one thing he did not foresee was animate teddy bears proving to be useful. His evil powers were only one element of his skill.

In fact the unspoken truth of many fictional evil leaders is they must have fantastic administrative and management skills to accomplish what they did and organise what they did.

I admire real life dictators less, but they aren't all lazy even if some are, especially over time when simple brutality works.
    I used to agree but after the prequels he’s basically become the Liz Truss of galactic emperors. Palpating took power on the day Luke and Leia were born so the Empire could only have lasted 30 years max. He only properly abolished the Senate at the start of the first film so really he only had absolute power for a few years.
  • Options
    Has Aaron Bastani recently turned 40?

Everyday sexism is real, and as a man I would never want to pretend otherwise (I don’t have to put up with it!)

But it defies belief a discussion about ‘microagressions’ was bolted on to a conversation about a woman & 2 children facing a horrific, life changing attack. (!) >

https://x.com/aaronbastani/status/1753248880295063676?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    Has Aaron Bastani recently turned 40?

Everyday sexism is real, and as a man I would never want to pretend otherwise (I don’t have to put up with it!)

But it defies belief a discussion about ‘microagressions’ was bolted on to a conversation about a woman & 2 children facing a horrific, life changing attack. (!) >

https://x.com/aaronbastani/status/1753248880295063676?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    kle4 said:

OK, I've found this.

Other posts repeatedly attack white people, calling them a “virus” and “mutant invader species”...

Ms Queva, whose location is listed as London on her Linkedin profile, also brands the UK “bigoted” and “genocidal” and claims white Europeans are “melanin-recessive parasites”, reports the Telegraph.

She must find getting through the day quite difficult. The UK definitely has bigots though, she's right about that, and far closer to home than she may think. Like in the mirror close.
    Daresay a few journos at the Mail and Telegraph needed a change in underwear after discovering those posts. They are genuinely deranged, and come from a non-white person with a foreign-sounding name - and she’s at the BBC!

Suspect her billing as a ‘senior exec’ or whatever is a bit of a liberty, and I doubt she’ll be in the job long now they’ve been uncovered.

Waiting for Toby Young to arrive like a Free Speech Gandalf in the east, at first light on the fifth day.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

I'd never heard 'Holohoax' before, referring to the holocaust being a hoax. That's quite impressively nasty.

I don't think she's going to hold onto her job for much longer. In fact, I can imagine it may be quite hard for her to get other jobs in future as well.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,776
    French player gets a red card.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    edited February 2

#metoo
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews

I used to agree but after the prequels he’s basically become the Liz Truss of galactic emperors. Palpating took power on the day Luke and Leia were born so the Empire could only have lasted 30 years max. He only properly abolished the Senate at the start of the first film so really he only had absolute power for a few years.
    Liz still dreams of such a timespan.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited February 2
    Cicero said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

I have always been a bit uncomfortable with fictionalisation of the holocaust.

However there is one film that I thought captured a fragment of that hell, and which was a truly astonishing piece of art.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/son-of-saul/

I never want to watch it again, It was nevertheless exceptional.
    It was, and again it was the soundtrack (clamorous, incessant noise) that was the making of it.
  • Options

I'd never heard 'Holohoax' before, referring to the holocaust being a hoax. That's quite impressively nasty.

I don't think she's going to hold onto her job for much longer. In fact, I can imagine it may be quite hard for her to get other jobs in future as well.
    Does George Galloway need some scheduling coordination?
  • Options
    edited February 2
    Stereodog said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'@JohnSimpsonNews

Nah, he still manipulated both sides through a civil war which lasted years (indeed, he prompted it) and his not abolishing the Senate speaks in his favour, in that he had no need or desire to do so until then. Indeed, that he did perhaps shows his period of control of 30 years (and rule of 20) was numbered, because he had given up on the more subtle controls which had served him in good stead. My respect for him only increased through the prequels. Even the final sequel movie, despite being directionless and pretty bad - apparently he managed to rebuild entirely secretly.
  • Options

Incoming head of an arts quango or obscure sociology faculty possibly. Plenty of tax-payer money to go around.
  • Options

Plenty of employers not yet into the habit of googling people.

Depressingly, I'd say the norotoriety will probably open some doors.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    After causing a bit of a debate yesterday I think I'm on safe ground by wishing everyone a Happy Candlemas.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    kle4 said:

It's quite eye-opening stuff, if true. Also: "Queva’s disturbing posts are believed to have been circulated in BBC WhatsApp groups that formed in the wake of Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel."

https://nypost.com/2024/02/02/news/bbc-employee-accused-of-branding-jewish-people-nazis-on-social-media/
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

stodge said:

I can think of worse people to have the casting vote. Nigel Foremain, Casino Royale, Leon ….
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Damn.
    RIP Carl Weathers.
  • Options

If he wants to win the next election, he needs to join the Labour Party.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

We're slowly edging towards Samuel Butler's Erewhon - a dystopia in which illness is considered to be a crime but criminality is regarded as a temporary, treatable indisposition.
    I have worked for employers like that!
  • Options

After causing a bit of a debate yesterday I think I'm on safe ground by wishing everyone a Happy Candlemas.

Given the revelations regarding ducks earlier, we need to know what you plan to do with the candle.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Damn.
    RIP Carl Weathers.

Arrested; great scene.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29Y333JkwXQ
  • Options
    Anyone else watching the rugby?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yep. Ireland do have the luck of having players sent off against them.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Damn.
    RIP Carl Weathers.

Arrested; great scene.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29Y333JkwXQ
    For some of us, he will always be Dillon

https://youtu.be/uYMboTIXym4?si=Ax3L1OSxKDn82LH9
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    Andy_JS said:

Oui
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Andy_JS said:

I will be tomorrow at 2.15pm. One cannot make one's wife endure the whole weekend of rugby. I will watch the highlights. It will be a good game. I think Ireland will edge it... but I haven known to be wrong.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Andy_JS said:

No. But I'm watching the Little Fluffy Clouds videos.
    Takes me back some 35 years.
    Wait. What???
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's quite eye-opening stuff, if true. Also: "Queva’s disturbing posts are believed to have been circulated in BBC WhatsApp groups that formed in the wake of Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel."

https://nypost.com/2024/02/02/news/bbc-employee-accused-of-branding-jewish-people-nazis-on-social-media/
    She seems (according to her statements published) to have absorbed a weird mix of QAnon, MAGA and Church Of The Creator Nazi propaganda.

The last being somewhat hilarious, given the Church Of The Creator are white supremacists of the view that most other white supremacists are a bit soft on the whole race hate thing.
  • Options

Hmmm... Teething troubles with new cache.

Will dig in this evening
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

Wow:

I'd always thought it was just a fancy LA grocery store, for people who thought Whole Foods too down-market.

https://www.erewhonmarket.com/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

Wow:

I'd always thought it was just a fancy LA grocery store, for people who thought Whole Foods too down-market.

The real questions are -

1) do they have automated checkouts?
    2) do they take cash?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Ghedebrav said:

We know though at most only a third of the Reform vote would return to the Conservatives. About one sixth would vote Labour and half would stay at home if Reform decided not to fight the next election.

That trims (not slashes) the Labour lead by a (massive) two points.

I suspect Reform are strongest where the Conservatives are strongest so their vote piling up in seats with large Conservative majorities may favour Labour but not much. We saw a hint of this in the Clacton constituency polling.
  • Options

Yes, her views are despicable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm... Teething troubles with new cache.

Will dig in this evening
    Thanks; the http to https redirects on pb & www.pb are probably more urgent and easier to fix.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Spectacular 3rd goal by DRC!
  • Options
    CENTCOM confirms that tonight in Iraq and Syria, US forces conducted strikes targeting IRGC-QF and associated groups.

-85 targets struck with over 125 precision munitions

-Strike package contained numerous aircraft, including long-range bombers flown from the United States

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1753534651975495751
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Spectacular 3rd goal by DRC!
    Yeah, a proper thunderbastard. Will be a deserved win.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Weren't we reading just the other day that both the Conservative and Labour Parties are scouring candidates' social media posts for possible embarrassment? Their opponents' too, I expect. Now this can be automated, I expect everyone will be at it. Employers, newspapers, police and intelligence agencies.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,207
    Good win for Leeds. Looks like it's between Leeds and Southampton for the second place with Leicester to finish top.

I think Ipswich will fall away now.

Not expecting Watford to crack the Top 2 😡
  • Options

kle4 said:

Weren't we reading just the other day that both the Conservative and Labour Parties are scouring candidates' social media posts for possible embarrassment? Their opponents' too, I expect. Now this can be automated, I expect everyone will be at it. Employers, newspapers, police and intelligence agencies.
    Already a standard part of vetting for many jobs.

We had tremendous fun on one interview (at a bank) - “A few months ago you advocated the murder of bankers….”
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Happened to Roy Castle.

Wow:

The real questions are -

1) do they have automated checkouts?
    2) do they take cash?
    And do they commiserate with shop-lifters?
  • Options

Good win for Leeds. Looks like it's between Leeds and Southampton for the second place with Leicester to finish top.

I think Ipswich will fall away now.

Not expecting Watford to crack the Top 2 😡

George Hirst should be back soon. Its losing him that was responsible for Ipswich dropping away.
  • Options
    The sites struck today will be followed by others in the days to come, U.S. officials said. The U.S. may expand its targeting, to other facilities and other militia groups, in the coming days, one official said.

NY Times
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,052
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

No. But I'm watching the Little Fluffy Clouds videos.
    Takes me back some 35 years.
    Wait. What???
    You might still see that in the desert
  • Options
    Whoever wins Penn will almost certainly win the WH says Sarah Smith on BBC.

Hmm...

Is this correct?

I dont think. MI as well is abs crucial?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,690
    edited February 2
    stodge said:

Ghedebrav said:

We know though at most only a third of the Reform vote would return to the Conservatives. About one sixth would vote Labour and half would stay at home if Reform decided not to fight the next election.

That trims (not slashes) the Labour lead by a (massive) two points.

I suspect Reform are strongest where the Conservatives are strongest so their vote piling up in seats with large Conservative majorities may favour Labour but not much. We saw a hint of this in the Clacton constituency polling.
    The fact that Reform are only on 18% in that Clacton poll tells me there’s no way they’re really on 10-12% nationally. There can be few places more Reform-friendly than that: Thanet, Thurrock, Boston, a few other Estuary and Lincolnshire outposts perhaps.
  • Options
    Just got that landing page again. This is some more of what it says, in case anyone's interested.

"This is the default welcome page used to test the correct operation of the Apache2 server after installation on Ubuntu systems. It is based on the equivalent page on Debian, from which the Ubuntu Apache packaging is derived. If you can read this page, it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly. You should replace this file (located at /var/www/html/index.html) before continuing to operate your HTTP server.

If you are a normal user of this web site and don't know what this page is about, this probably means that the site is currently unavailable due to maintenance. If the problem persists, please contact the site's administrator."
This discussion has been closed.