Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump wins New Hampshire primary but Haley says campaign is ‘far from over’ – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited February 4 in General
imageTrump wins New Hampshire primary but Haley says campaign is ‘far from over’ – politicalbetting.com

Haley did better than the polls and most of the predictions and the idea that this was going to be a knock-out blow for Trump did not quite materialise.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,726
    First, like Biden in November.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,923
    Second, like Biden in November
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    It's interesting that the press rhetoric is "commanding position" for Trump rather than "40% of registered voters chose someone else in a 2 horse race". Personally, I was expecting a much bigger win.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    The BBC are wishcasting a Trump victory.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    5th amendment
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Particularly when it now looks like Biden has won the Democrat primary as a write-in candidate.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    On the Tories the BBC are setting the bar low for labelling someone a “Senior Tory MP” this morning. He is not senior in longevity, senior in age or senior in position but I guess it makes the story more exciting to report.

On the Republicans, if Haley has the money behind her, she should keep running to the end. Firstly if something happens to Trump legally or due to health before the end then by staying in she would likely be the Nominee.

Secondly if she is making Trump campaign it means he is spending money from his PACs and the more he has to spend on the Nomination race the less there is for the GE but also less to find its way to cover his legal costs and bolster his accounts.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,792
    The government is really not listening to concerns about the NHS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68071665
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Am I right in thinking on those numbers it's 13 delegates to Trump, 9 to Haley?

So a clear win for the Orange Haired One but less decisive than he clearly hoped and expected.

Snag is, Haley really needed to win to puncture his bubble.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,792
    boulay said:

On the Tories the BBC are setting the bar low for labelling someone a “Senior Tory MP” this morning. He is not senior in longevity, senior in age or senior in position but I guess it makes the story more exciting to report.

On the Republicans, if Haley has the money behind her, she should keep running to the end. Firstly if something happens to Trump legally or due to health before the end then by staying in she would likely be the Nominee.

Secondly if she is making Trump campaign it means he is spending money from his PACs and the more he has to spend on the Nomination race the less there is for the GE but also less to find its way to cover his legal costs and bolster his accounts.

Senior I would interpret as having been at least one of cabinet minister, committee chair or leadership candidate.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,015
    ydoethur said:

So a clear win for the Orange Haired One but less decisive than he clearly hoped and expected.

Where is win coming from for NH? Nevada is the Schleswig-Holstein of the Primaries (Only three people understand it, etc.) then she'll lose in South Carolina then it's Super Tuesday.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Writing exclusively for The Sun, Sir Keir says he’ll stop the sale of Zombie knives

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1750065542180880877?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

boulay said:

Senior I would interpret as having been at least one of cabinet minister, committee chair or leadership candidate.
    In none of the Senior Politician stories that I can remember, has the SP turned out to be even vaguely senior.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,689
    ydoethur said:

Now he others have dropped out, now she can. Trump is clearly a loser,
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

I think Trump is an abomination. However four more years of Biden seriously worries me as well. The US is displaying an alarming weakness on the global stage that is being exploited by Putin, Xi, the Ayatollahs and more. Given his age and deteriorating condition this is only likely to get worse.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,945
    ClippP said:

ydoethur said:

Now he others have dropped out, now she can. Trump is clearly a loser,
    NH had very favourable conditions for Haley. Where is more favourable ? Colorado, DC ?!

DC won't win the primary.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,726

I think Trump is an abomination. However four more years of Biden seriously worries me as well. The US is displaying an alarming weakness on the global stage that is being exploited by Putin, Xi, the Ayatollahs and more. Given his age and deteriorating condition this is only likely to get worse.
    Well, it appears it's Biden or Trump so we're down to the lesser of two evils.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    isam said:

Writing exclusively for The Sun, Sir Keir says he’ll stop the sale of Zombie knives

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1750065542180880877?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

And your problem with any attempt by Starmer to reduce the number of teenagers stabbing teenagers, if only by one, is what exactly?
  • Options
    isam said:

The knives actually used in most attacks on people are kitchen knives of moderate length.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

It's interesting that the press rhetoric is "commanding position" for Trump rather than "40% of registered voters chose someone else in a 2 horse race". Personally, I was expecting a much bigger win.

Whilst you're right that, on the eve of the election, I'd have predicted a somewhat bigger Trump win, the fact is that nothing happened last night that changes the reality that he easily has the votes to get the nomination.

Challengers had to do something to upend the race before it moves on to Super Tuesday. New Hampshire was a chance to do that, and Haley spent a huge amount of money and enormous amount of time on it. Doing marginally better than you'd have thought on Monday doesn't upend the race. And, with the best will in the world, that level of focus can't be replicated, or anything like it, in larger states and on days where several states vote.

The only real reason for Haley to stay in now is to position herself if Trump becomes unavailable, for reasons of health or legal jeopardy, for November. And that's risky - she could easily be beaten heavily in her own state, and then on Super Tuesday, and make herself into a joke rather than a fall-back option.

The path to beating Trump in the primaries on the basis of an argument about electability has gone. Republicans have mostly either persuaded themselves that Trump IS the most electable option, or they don't care because they like him and he "owns the libs".
  • Options

For Putin, that's Congress' fault due to Republicans who may not have taken his money but are certainly doing his work.

So far, he's been pretty robust on China and Iran. He's bombing one of Iran's proxies right now, FFS. And he has been trying everything to smash Hamas without green lighting Netanyahu's Fascist fantasies of ethnic cleaning. Meanwhile, he's kept China from doing more than making noises over Taiwan.

Trump was much weaker on both of them which is one reason why they seem emboldened now.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 487
    I think that's all they do in my road (unoffically) already
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,732

Quite a lot of that is down to GOP obstruction in Congress, so you should be arguing for a big Democratic win in November ?
  • Options
    isam said:

Forget knives. First this shows Starmer's instinct as a lawyer is to reach for a new law. Second, in writing anything at all for The Sun, he is cuddling up to Uncle Rupert. Don't assume The Sun will back the Conservatives at the general election.
  • Options
    On topic, a closer margin than I expected for sure but the question is how many of Haley's supporters were actually Republicans or Democrats / Independents using NH's rules to block Trump. I think NH had seen an upswing of voters registered for the contest, which suggests the latter. If that is the case (and I suspect it is), then this was really her last gasp.
  • Options

isam said:

And your problem with any attempt by Starmer to reduce the number of teenagers stabbing teenagers, if only by one, is what exactly?
    The stabbed teenagers are mostly stabbed with kitchen knives.

Carrying blade of any length is already illegal.

Banning various blades curiosities (and other weapons) has proved, in the past, to be performative dance.

Anyone remember the Nunchaku Terror? When any film that depicted someone waving a rice flail was banned?
  • Options
    PJH said:

Nobody's writing to you, mate. Think about getting a penpal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

The knives actually used in most attacks on people are kitchen knives of moderate length.
    Labour will never do anything about those. Their favourite groups are steak holders.
    Vegan steak holders?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,102
    If this is true then there's no hope for productivity increases or economic growth:

Younger office staff are slacking off work at least one day a week as mental health problems cause a productivity crisis, new research shows.

Analysis by Vitality found that the average employee feels unable to work to their full capacity for 50 work days each year ― costing the British economy £138 billion.

Only six of these days are taken off as formal sick leave, with people showing up to work the rest of the time but struggling to achieve anything because of issues linked to poor health including burnout, stress, insomnia and obesity.

The report was based on a survey of 4,000 staff and their employers, which investigated how much time was lost due to absence and presenteeism.

This revealed a stark generational divide, with those under the age of 30 significantly more likely to report being unproductive at work compared to older generations.

These younger adults lost 60 productive days a year due to health concerns, nearly twice as many as those over 50, who only lost 36 days a year.

This was largely due to worse mental health problems in younger workers, who were twice as likely to suffer from depression, and also had higher levels of burnout and tiredness.

Poor health is stifling Britain’s economic growth, with a record 2.6 million people in the UK are now off work long-term because of illness. The biggest rise in economic inactivity has been seen in adults aged 16 to 34, with more than half a million of this age group signed off work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gen-z-staff-miss-a-days-work-a-week-due-to-mental-health-x86ldvk8m
  • Options

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Labour will never do anything about those. Their favourite groups are steak holders.
    Vegan steak holders?
    Veni soon...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,255

isam said:

So how exactly will this stop teenagers from stabbing teenagers. Or stabbings full stop.

There are already laws in place on the carrying of knives that are no deterrent. Knives already are restricted on who they can be sold to. This does no good. Banning Zombie knives won't do anything.

The roadmen will simply take other knives, innit, as they do currently. It is a gesture to be seen to be doing something .
  • Options

isam said:

Forget knives. First this shows Starmer's instinct as a lawyer is to reach for a new law. Second, in writing anything at all for The Sun, he is cuddling up to Uncle Rupert. Don't assume The Sun will back the Conservatives at the general election.
    Murdoch backs winners. Or tries to.
  • Options

isam said:

I don't believe anyone is unaware of that unpleasant factoid, and I understand you and Isam pulling Starmer up on his every idiocy, but even a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Do we really want combat knives on the streets? If one life is saved, surely Starmer's hand-wringing was worth it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084

On topic, a closer margin than I expected for sure but the question is how many of Haley's supporters were actually Republicans or Democrats / Independents using NH's rules to block Trump. I think NH had seen an upswing of voters registered for the contest, which suggests the latter. If that is the case (and I suspect it is), then this was really her last gasp.

Just over a third of voters in the Republican primary said they would not even vote for Trump in the general election based on exit polls. So clearly a lot of Independents and even some Democrats voted for Haley.

She did better than expected but Trump is the first presidential candidate since Kerry in 2004 to win Iowa and New Hampshire and with most of the remaining states more conservative and with fewer college graduates than New Hampshire he is now likely nominee. Probably only a Supreme Court ruling he can be blocked from ballots next month or a criminal conviction and jail sentence by the convention for Trump could stop that now
  • Options

If this is true then there's no hope for productivity increases or economic growth:

Younger office staff are slacking off work at least one day a week as mental health problems cause a productivity crisis, new research shows.

Analysis by Vitality found that the average employee feels unable to work to their full capacity for 50 work days each year ― costing the British economy £138 billion.

Only six of these days are taken off as formal sick leave, with people showing up to work the rest of the time but struggling to achieve anything because of issues linked to poor health including burnout, stress, insomnia and obesity.

The report was based on a survey of 4,000 staff and their employers, which investigated how much time was lost due to absence and presenteeism.

This revealed a stark generational divide, with those under the age of 30 significantly more likely to report being unproductive at work compared to older generations.

These younger adults lost 60 productive days a year due to health concerns, nearly twice as many as those over 50, who only lost 36 days a year.

This was largely due to worse mental health problems in younger workers, who were twice as likely to suffer from depression, and also had higher levels of burnout and tiredness.

Poor health is stifling Britain’s economic growth, with a record 2.6 million people in the UK are now off work long-term because of illness. The biggest rise in economic inactivity has been seen in adults aged 16 to 34, with more than half a million of this age group signed off work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gen-z-staff-miss-a-days-work-a-week-due-to-mental-health-x86ldvk8m

The Vitality program, yet again, proving its value.

The answer is, of course, investing in systems and management methods that are more ergonomic. Discontinue the beatings, and morale may actually improve.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Vegan steak holders?
    Veni soon...
    An old spot on PB, admittedly.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Vegan steak holders?
    Veni soon...
    A gloss ter an old favourite.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,732
    Frost making shit up again ... surely not ?

How utterly mortifying for @DavidGHFrost and the @Telegraph for @yougov to have to issue an extensive note questioning his analysis of a poll that he actually commissioned. And also how perfect.
    https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1746885186661355612
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Vegan steak holders?
    Veni soon...
    A gloss ter an old favourite.
    Free-ranging and pheasant discussions. What is vegan, indeed? A question not to be ducked.
  • Options

The Vitality program, yet again, proving its value.

The answer is, of course, investing in systems and management methods that are more ergonomic. Discontinue the beatings, and morale may actually improve.
    You should be a management consultant.

And charge £5k a time for that advice.

And then another £5k to explain what it means.
  • Options

isam said:

I don't believe anyone is unaware of that unpleasant factoid, and I understand you and Isam pulling Starmer up on his every idiocy, but even a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Do we really want combat knives on the streets? If one life is saved, surely Starmer's hand-wringing was worth it.
    Funny thing is, the government announced a ban on zombie knives just last year, so this may be an XL Bully-type problem of defining edge cases.

Government bans machetes and zombie knives
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-bans-machetes-and-zombie-knives
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971

isam said:

So why doesn’t Starmer ban smoking on day one - will save more lives than the zombie knife ban. Or is banning zombie knives easy publicity for a bit of a gimmick as opposed to hard decisions to save serious numbers of lives?
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 133

boulay said:

The point is, his meteoric rise without trace and getting a knighthood from Boris for saying nothing to see here about partygate....I remember the interview. Then sitting doing a nodding doggy act behind Jenrick on Rwanda.
    Now even some Tories realising this was not OK
  • Options

isam said:

Actually, I can't recall criticising Starmer for much at all, recently.

A Zombie knife isn't a combat knife - except maybe for Meal Team 6

Carrying a fruit knife (favourite weapon of Richard IV) is already illegal.

Do you really think that a member of a postcode gang (say) will give up on "Going equipped" because the funky looking blade isn;'t available online anymore?

The problem with the stabbing of teenagers by teenagers is the desire by some teenagers to stab other teenagers.

It is impossible to cut off the supply of edged weapons.

To actually do something we ned to reduce the desire to attack others.
  • Options

isam said:

Funny thing is, the government announced a ban on zombie knives just last year, so this may be an XL Bully-type problem of defining edge cases.

Edge, sure, but what about tip cases? And other types of scabbard?
  • Options
    edited January 24

If we are back to Putin, Xi, Modi and Trump as the big 4 leaders on the world stage hard to see how Zelensky isn't forced to cut a deal with Putin ultimately. As all 4 are notably not greatly aligned with western liberal support for Ukraine.

There would be more tensions with Xi and Trump over trade and Taiwan though, Trump is more
    concerned by China than
    Russia, as is Modi's India.
    There would be some
    tensions between Putin and Trump over Iran and Hamas which Trump takes a hard-line over while Putin has solid links to Tehran
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,945

Hmm isn't it more to do with the fact she had Sunnunu (Who is very well liked) backing in the state + a high proportion of college graduates in the primary mix. Two factors that won't be repeated elsewhere.
  • Options
    Taz said:

isam said:

So how exactly will this stop teenagers from stabbing teenagers. Or stabbings full stop.

There are already laws in place on the carrying of knives that are no deterrent. Knives already are restricted on who they can be sold to. This does no good. Banning Zombie knives won't do anything.

The roadmen will simply take other knives, innit, as they do currently. It is a gesture to be seen to be doing something .
    A kitchen knife is one thing (and they can't be banned) but a combat weapon with a reverse seration to inflict more damage on withdrawal is quite another.
  • Options

PJH said:

Haha a long time since I got an actual letter but I can tell from all the various regular mail that it always comes together, on the same days (I never get post on a Monday or Friday, almost always on a Thursday or Saturday).
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764

PJH said:

The prospect of struggling through Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays bereft of information about pizza delivery services is almost more than I can bear.
  • Options
    edited January 24

isam said:

Don’t give them ideas, or they’ll start arresting contract chefs using the Tube on their way home from work.
  • Options
    PJH said:

PJH said:

Haha a long time since I got an actual letter but I can tell from all the various regular mail that it always comes together, on the same days (I never get post on a Monday or Friday, almost always on a Thursday or Saturday).
    Well, that may be the case for Billy no Mates such as you, but Mrs C and I get post almost every day - Tuesday though being a day when we don't get much, it having been Saturday two days before.
  • Options
    PJH said:

PJH said:

Where is PB's resident postie when we need him? No letters on Monday is probably due to offices being closed at the weekend.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

Don’t give them ideas, or they’ll start arresting contract chefs using the Tube on their way home from work.
    The way Slab were demanding instant prison sentences for anyone carrying a knife, I was getting seriously worried about going shopping for kitchenware at Lakeland and getting home safely without being mugged by the polis for my new knives.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

For Putin, that's Congress' fault due to Republicans who may not have taken his money but are certainly doing his work.

So far, he's been pretty robust on China and Iran. He's bombing one of Iran's proxies right now, FFS. And he has been trying everything to smash Hamas without green lighting Netanyahu's Fascist fantasies of ethnic cleaning. Meanwhile, he's kept China from doing more than making noises over Taiwan.

Trump was much weaker on both of them which is one reason why they seem emboldened now.
    Trump killed the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and imposed tariffs on Chinese imports
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

PJH said:

PJH said:

Well, that may be the case for Billy no Mates such as you, but Mrs C and I get post almost every day - Tuesday though being a day when we don't get much, it having been Saturday two days before.
    Joking aside, during Covid the deliveries were reduced and it never came back to normal afterwards. At my old address days without deliveries seemed to be more erratic, but since I moved to where I am now the pattern seems more marked.
  • Options
    Quite sensible for letters which are declining, just keep the parcels market five days a week delivery
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    How is that different to what I already get? Often don't get deliveries. Its like back in the day when the 2nd post got canned. I had never had a 2nd post.
  • Options
    a
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

isam said:

The way Slab were demanding instant prison sentences for anyone carrying a knife, I was getting seriously worried about going shopping for kitchenware at Lakeland and getting home safely without being mugged by the polis for my new knives.
    You are already in an... interesting position, carrying a kitchen knife in the street.

The police, in London, had quite a bit of fun arresting people for carrying pen knifes that slightly exceeded the blade length rule. Some say that it was about "normalising" the profile of those they arrested for knife crime.
  • Options

Taz said:

isam said:

A kitchen knife is one thing (and they can't be banned) but a combat weapon with a reverse seration to inflict more damage on withdrawal is quite another.
    Which does not address the points I made.

• Options
    edited January 24
    Anyone know why France's economy is in such bad shape ?

Having ended 2023 deep inside contraction territory, France’s economy began the new year with another marked month-on month reduction in private sector business activity. In fact, the downturn worsened in January as faster falls in output at both service providers and manufacturers led to the steepest overall rate of decline since last September. A ninth successive month of weakening demand was a major factor behind January’s contraction, placing the onus firmly on backlogs as the means to boost activity. Indeed, outstanding work volumes declined, as did employment and business confidence.

The headline HCOB Flash France Composite PMI Output Index remained below the critical 50.0 threshold that separates growth from decline in January for an eighth month in a row, stretching the downturn seen in the eurozone’s second-largest economy that began in mid-2023. At 44.2, the headline index was down from 44.8 in December, its lowest for four months and indicative of a steep contraction in business activity.

Quite a contrast compared to the UK:

The headline seasonally adjusted S&P Global Flash UK PMI Composite Output Index registered 52.5 in January,
    up from 52.1 in December and above the neutral 50.0 threshold for the third month running. The latest reading
    pointed to the strongest rate of output growth since June 2023. The index has picked up in each month since hitting an eight-month low last September (48.5)

https://www.forexfactory.com/calendar?day=jan24.2024
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Just over a third of voters in the Republican primary said they would not even vote for Trump in the general election based on exit polls. So clearly a lot of Independents and even some Democrats voted for Haley.

She did better than expected but Trump is the first presidential candidate since Kerry in 2004 to win Iowa and New Hampshire and with most of the remaining states more conservative and with fewer college graduates than New Hampshire he is now likely nominee. Probably only a Supreme Court ruling he can be blocked from ballots next month or a criminal conviction and jail sentence by the convention for Trump could stop that now
    The exit poll finding I saw here suggested it was actually 49% who were not registered Republicans. Independents look to be similar to 2016 (43% vs 42%) but the number of Democrats voting went from 3% to 6%.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2024-01-23/many-new-hampshire-republicans-see-bidens-2020-win-as-illegitimate-exit-poll

So you can probably assume a drag effect for Trump from the 3% of extra Democrats in here (given sentiment has swung from "let's get Trump as the GOP nominee" to "let's support Haley" amongst many D voters). Point being, if half of the voters were non-Republicans, then a 12% lead for Trump is pretty decent.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

isam said:

Most knife crime is not committed with zombie knives. Its an example of the over-arching state.
  • Options

PJH said:

The prospect of struggling through Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays bereft of information about pizza delivery services is almost more than I can bear.
    And that was my point really, nothing matters much that much but it's annoying if a magazine delivery is late because if it doesn't come on Thursday it won't come on Friday either
  • Options
    PJH said:

Carnyx said:

PJH said:

PJH said:

Joking aside, during Covid the deliveries were reduced and it never came back to normal afterwards. At my old address days without deliveries seemed to be more erratic, but since I moved to where I am now the pattern seems more marked.
    Evidently seems to vary from place to place. But that's no argument for levelling down. I don't see why I should get a shiter service simply to keep up with the Joneses (or Brummies or whatever).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,381
    I just got an eager email from “Visit Leicester” - apparently the tourist body, promoting Leicester

It is one of the most poignant communications I have ever seen
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    A senior Tory official said of Clarke: “If he wants to help Sir Keir become the next PM he should just cross the floor.”

Eleni Courea, Guardian
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

Shooting them, Shirley? That's the SOP for Sparkies Of Colour armed with City AM, after all.

Precautionary principle - they might turn out to be a 23rd dan Ninja possessed by a demon from the 11th dimension, after all.

• Options
    Apparently Leicester is “leading the way” in “sustainable food and drink”

Don’t all rush at once
  • Options
    Turns out Wolverhampton has never been in the Black Country, next you’ll be telling me Sutton Coldfield isn’t part of Birmingham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw54xwwk3z6o
  • Options

How is that different to what I already get? Often don't get deliveries. Its like back in the day when the 2nd post got canned. I had never had a 2nd post.
    Yep.

Royal Mail could save another £600m odd by not delivering any letters at all.

Has no one thought of that?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

Edge, sure, but what about tip cases? And other types of scabbard?
    I don't think he is getting the point, here.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    Russia's lost another large plane:
    https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1750081419555086832

Either Ukrainian POWs or missiles on board, depending on who you believe...
  • Options

Editor of Spectator has been warning about effect on weekly news mags of no delivery over weekend.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Don’t all rush at once

Why not? Very good covered market (PB Tories' favourite TV pundit comes from a market stall family), lots of culinary traditions from all over the world and allotment traditions, lots of farmland around. Bit short of sea, though, unless the canal qualifies, or you like pike.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,239
    Taz said:

isam said:

Murdoch backs winners. Or tries to.
    The Sun is no longer even the most widely read newspaper in the UK. Total Newspaper circulations have halved in a decade.
  • Options

Having ended 2023 deep inside contraction territory, France’s economy began the new year with another marked month-on month reduction in private sector business activity. In fact, the downturn worsened in January as faster falls in output at both service providers and manufacturers led to the steepest overall rate of decline since last September. A ninth successive month of weakening demand was a major factor behind January’s contraction, placing the onus firmly on backlogs as the means to boost activity. Indeed, outstanding work volumes declined, as did employment and business confidence.

The headline HCOB Flash France Composite PMI Output Index remained below the critical 50.0 threshold that separates growth from decline in January for an eighth month in a row, stretching the downturn seen in the eurozone’s second-largest economy that began in mid-2023. At 44.2, the headline index was down from 44.8 in December, its lowest for four months and indicative of a steep contraction in business activity.

The headline seasonally adjusted S&P Global Flash UK PMI Composite Output Index registered 52.5 in January,
    up from 52.1 in December and above the neutral 50.0 threshold for the third month running. The latest reading
    pointed to the strongest rate of output growth since June 2023. The index has picked up in each month since hitting an eight-month low last September (48.5)

Germany dragging down the rest of the eurozone?

Germany is presumably France’s biggest export market
  • Options

Editor of Spectator has been warning about effect on weekly news mags of no delivery over weekend.
    The Spectator should shut the fuck up and let free market economics work their magic.
  • Options

Someone fell out of a window, causing a depressurisation that crashed the plane.

Obvious, really.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Quite sensible for letters which are declining, just keep the parcels market five days a week delivery
    But it's the same person who does it, for most parcels ...
  • Options

isam said:

It's just a show. Banning Zombie knives won't save a single person from being stabbed. If you're of a stabby persuasion, you'll find something suitable in the kitchen drawer.
    Ban then, don't ban them, it's not going to make a difference either way. Looks great in the tabloids, though.
  • Options

France and Germany are both struggling at the moment, looks to be manufacturing-related. Car industry in particular is totally screwed at the moment, it’s in a transition phase and being hammered by the end of cheap lease deals.
  • Options
    boulay said:

isam said:

So why doesn’t Starmer ban smoking on day one - will save more lives than the zombie knife ban. Or is banning zombie knives easy publicity for a bit of a gimmick as opposed to hard decisions to save serious numbers of lives?
    I think it's just to make sure that there are no headlines TORIES SCREAM THAT SKS ISN'T GOING TO BAN ZOMBIE KNIVES AND IMMIGRANTS FROM THE CTHULHU ABYSS LIKE WHAT WE HAVE ALREADY DONE.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Don’t all rush at once

Why not? Very good covered market (PB Tories' favourite TV pundit comes from a market stall family), lots of culinary traditions from all over the world and allotment traditions, lots of farmland around. Bit short of sea, though, unless the canal qualifies, or you like pike.
    I’m sure you’re right it’s more that the entire concept seems forlorn

Are there really people all over Britain wondering whether to have a holiday break in Leicester, who will be finally won over when they hear its food scene is “impressively sustainable”?

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557
    Another symptom of declining Britain. Let's have a consultation on the best way to provide a worse public service, in this case Royal Mail.
  • Options

Yep.

Royal Mail could save another £600m odd by not delivering any letters at all.

Has no one thought of that?
    Let's be Frank, that seems to be their strategy half the time now anyway.

(With apologies to @BlancheLivermore )
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Nigelb said:

Quite a lot of that is down to GOP obstruction in Congress, so you should be arguing for a big Democratic win in November ?
    Not really. Biden's support for Ukraine has been half-hearted all the way through. As for Iran he stopped designating the Houthis as terrorists, unfroze Iranian assets and tried to revive the nuclear deal. He's emboldened them. They simply aren't being deterred from their malign actions.

But it's the general sense of tentativeness that I don't think we've seen from a US government before. A President who thinks his main enemies are in Washington would hardly be an improvement and so in a forced choice I would stick with Biden but it's not a choice that makes me sleep easier at night.
  • Options

Another symptom of declining Britain. Let's have a consultation on the best way to provide a worse public service, in this case Royal Mail.

Well, it's outdated, sexist and thoroughly unwoke.

I suggest as a start we rename it the Royal Intersex to more accurately reflect a modern, diverse nation.
  • Options

And interesting that our village Tory thinks it's a great idea.
  • Options

Looks like a load shift or overweight aircraft - or it could be simply just another horrendously-unserviceable IL-76 that they dragged out of Siberian boneyard, that some poor buggers got told to fly.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557
    ydoethur said:

I suggest as a start we rename it the Royal Intersex to more accurately reflect a modern, diverse nation.
    Republican Intersex, surely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

"Royal" being modern and diverse, in your view, presumably? Novel. Edgy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

That's probably close to the truth of the matter, in many locations.

Since privatisation letter prices (for personal, rather than business, customers) have exploded, yet the service has deteriorated.

An agreed reduction in service might be worth thinking about - provided the guaranteed next-day special deliveries continued to be available all week - in return for a significant reduction in cost. I haven't seen any mention of the latter from Ofcom or in current reporting? Yet all of the options they are floating would enable a significant reduction in staffing.

• Options

He presumably knows his business, but I think he's making an error here.

The problem, which has been going on for some time, is that magazine delivery is highly unreliable, so they don't arrive on the scheduled day. That frustrates readers and they tend to blame the magazine.

It's perfectly possible that reducing frequency would improve reliability (not necessarily, but both are features that cost money the Royal Mail simply doesn't have).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Republican Intersex, surely?
    We still have the crown. Come back to me when @TSE has had his wicked way with Charles and Camilla.

Er, that is, when we're a republic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Trump killed the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and imposed tariffs on Chinese imports
    Trump has never killed anything that could fight back in his entire life. He's a fucking narcissistic loon, but I still hope he gets in🤣
This discussion has been closed.