Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump wins New Hampshire primary but Haley says campaign is ‘far from over’ – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

LOL, what a 🤡

Lee Anderson says he ‘should have voted’ for Rwanda Bill – and he wants his old job back

Former deputy Tory chairman insists there is ‘no chance’ of Rishi Sunak being deposed before election and Conservative MPs should back him

Lee Anderson has said he should have voted for the Rwanda Bill and would take back his old job as deputy Tory chairman if asked by Rishi Sunak.

Speaking to the Telegraph, the outspoken MP said he should have been “brave” and sided with the Government instead of abstaining in last week’s crunch vote on the latest iteration of the migrant deportation plan.

He also said there is “no chance” of Mr Sunak being deposed before the next election and revealed he would back Donald Trump “by default” if he lived in the US, as he could never vote for Joe Biden.

Mr Anderson resigned as deputy party chairman on Jan 16 in order to support amendments aimed at toughening up Mr Sunak’s proposals to get Rwanda flights off the ground, before refusing to back the Bill itself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/24/lee-anderson-rwanda-bill-deputy-chairman-job-rishi-sunak/

I do not buy people saying they favour Trump because Biden is such a grim or scary proposition. The guy is knocking on, sure, and his health would be a standing concern in a 2nd term, but in his 1st term he's been an able competent president who has sought to govern by consensus. No way does he represent something so terrible as to drive someone into supporting Donald Trump. It's a crock of shit when anyone says that. They are lying.
    On my last road trip I was surprised at the depth of hatred for 'Washington' once you got away from the big cities. To the extent that people would tell you (quite passionately) not to go there because it was such a horrible place. Like it or not, Trump and the alt-right have been more successful in tapping into this disaffection than the Dems who, despite their policy agenda being more favourable for poorer working Americans, are seen as exemplifying much about their politics that many ordinary Americans dislike. Biden's a nicer guy, for sure, but he's also a Washington insider through and through.
    Immigration. The Dems are seen as the “open the borders” party. Really not popular in flyover America. indeed, increasingly less popular in big cities, with the surge in migrants sent from Texas to NYC, Chicago, etc
    Maybe that’s a small part of it, and maybe a bigger issue the nearer you get to the southern border. But where I went, I don’t think that was it. Be wary of projecting your own obsession onto others.
  • Options

Leon said:

Another metric - Cambodian life expectancy

In 1984 - four decades ago - it was 49. Now it is 71. An incredible surge; no wonder they are chipper

And for truly macabre comparison, Khmer life expectancy during the Khmer Rouge went down to 12

Yes. 12

A few months back, I heard a similar story from one of the Gulf states - I think UAE (it was in the space context).

Western medicine (and lifestyle changes) have performed wonders.
    But then we'll kill 'em with our western diet!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,076
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

LOL, what a 🤡

Lee Anderson says he ‘should have voted’ for Rwanda Bill – and he wants his old job back

Former deputy Tory chairman insists there is ‘no chance’ of Rishi Sunak being deposed before election and Conservative MPs should back him

Lee Anderson has said he should have voted for the Rwanda Bill and would take back his old job as deputy Tory chairman if asked by Rishi Sunak.

Speaking to the Telegraph, the outspoken MP said he should have been “brave” and sided with the Government instead of abstaining in last week’s crunch vote on the latest iteration of the migrant deportation plan.

He also said there is “no chance” of Mr Sunak being deposed before the next election and revealed he would back Donald Trump “by default” if he lived in the US, as he could never vote for Joe Biden.

Mr Anderson resigned as deputy party chairman on Jan 16 in order to support amendments aimed at toughening up Mr Sunak’s proposals to get Rwanda flights off the ground, before refusing to back the Bill itself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/24/lee-anderson-rwanda-bill-deputy-chairman-job-rishi-sunak/

I do not buy people saying they favour Trump because Biden is such a grim or scary proposition. The guy is knocking on, sure, and his health would be a standing concern in a 2nd term, but in his 1st term he's been an able competent president who has sought to govern by consensus. No way does he represent something so terrible as to drive someone into supporting Donald Trump. It's a crock of shit when anyone says that. They are lying.
    On my last road trip I was surprised at the depth of hatred for 'Washington' once you got away from the big cities. To the extent that people would tell you (quite passionately) not to go there because it was such a horrible place. Like it or not, Trump and the alt-right have been more successful in tapping into this disaffection than the Dems who, despite their policy agenda being more favourable for poorer working Americans, are seen as exemplifying much about their politics that many ordinary Americans dislike. Biden's a nicer guy, for sure, but he's also a Washington insider through and through.
    Have they 'tapped into dissatisfaction' with Washington - or have they simply succeeded in making it a scapegoat for the general problems of life ?
    All summarised succinctly here:
    https://unherd.com/2024/01/new-hampshire-revealed-americas-true-divide/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups
    Quote from the article

"In fairness, the Democrats have helped to facilitate the Trump narrative — and therefore his victories in Iowa and New Hampshire. His political rise should have initiated a genuine soul-searching among a humiliated establishment. But rather than consider their failures toward the American people, who continue to turn to a carnival barker for relief, the policymaking elite have concluded that it is they who have been failed — by the people. The result, as we are starting to see, is the exacerbation of America’s prevailing divisions. In this, New Hampshire serves as both a symptom and an inflammatory — not for a civil war between North and South, but a clash within each city and state."
    These articles try and justify why some voters have supported Trump . The cry of the dispossessed. When sadly Trump just forments anger and division . The only party that tries to improve life for the majority are the Dems . The GOP with their policies take from the poor to give to the rich and yet a whole lot of people continue to vote against their own interests . People continue to make excuses for the Trump Cult . They are mostly just anger filled bigots trying to find any scapegoat.

“Basket of Deplorables” is the phrase you were looking for.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Cyclefree said:

We have a lovely friendly postman. He spends as much time petting our dog and giving him treats as he does delivering our mail and also brings us genera news from town (flooded roads, that sort of thing). We have no postbox so the mail gets delivered randomly to any number of places - the front hall if the door is open, the garage (ditto), the wood store, the garden store and on occasion the greenhouse.

We tend to forget about these other places so are often picking up rather damp mail days or weeks after it was delivered.

Anyway this morning Mr Postie delivered this.

Both Husband and I wondered out loud why the BNP was sending out election leaflets. But no - it's from the Labour candidate.

It makes absolutely no mention of our area at all. At least the local Tory MP bothered to make his leaflet focused on this area. Labour will certainly win and once again this part of the constituency will be ignored as it was when Labour last held it. I can quite understand why people here voted for Levelling Up - and why they will now vote against those who failed to deliver it. But they won't get it or anything remotely like it from Labour to judge by how they behaved when they last held this seat and others like it.

Ridiculously intemperate response to a piece of party promotion that appears to be from the BNP because…it has a flag on it?
This discussion has been closed.