Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another difficult Tory by-election defence – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Thought "octopus" was ipso facto antisemitism write large? Or was it small?

Same way "elephant" always means Republican . . . at least in the USA . . .
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,319

Further to the earlier discussion on internal threats to the US, here’s a Berkeley professor calling for an intifada in America. The focus on the far-right ignores the growing radicalisation of the left against western states.

https://x.com/shaidavidai/status/1737512500986290596

Does someone pay you to spend your time digging up this s****? Not that I would condone the message.

You are however comment free when some homeboy drives his Dodge Challenger into a crowd of protesting students, or when Sebastian Gorka utters his old s**** on Fox News.
  • Options
    Maybe instead of non-criminal law silks grandiosely announcing their refusal to prosecute certain types of crime, they should just concentrate on not derailing murder trials with contemptuous Twitter outbursts.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1737546980912459920
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

Maybe instead of non-criminal law silks grandiosely announcing their refusal to prosecute certain types of crime, they should just concentrate on not derailing murder trials with contemptuous Twitter outbursts.

That's foxed him.
  • Options

On topic - Wellingborough is one of those BE that should be a Con opportunity. The mood is that this election is Lab's to lose but in reality that is a huge majority to have to overturn. Holding onto a 18,500 majority would be seen as a major achievement by the Govt (at least by most of the press and media). It should not be an impossible task.

OTOH the Lib Dems will not make a serious effort here. Tactical voting will be the order of the day. If the mood is anything like in Mid Beds then the Cons are headed for a hammering.

All that will be moot if Bone is the Con candidate. That would eliminate any chance of the Cons holding the seat. If one in ten of the electors there believe his denials then I would be amazed. MPs are generally not held in terribly high regard by the Great British public.

As Bone is now an Independent MP, having been denied Conservative whip, isn't he ineligible to stand as Conservative candidate in the by-election?\

He can run, but NOT as a Tory.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,976

Further to the earlier discussion on internal threats to the US, here’s a Berkeley professor calling for an intifada in America. The focus on the far-right ignores the growing radicalisation of the left against western states. https://x.com/shaidavidai/status/1737512500986290596

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

That graphic has to be a (well done) fake.
    Posted on official DfT X account. I know... I was also looking for the indications of it being a spoof.
    That, literally, as in my back hurts, made me fall of my chair. It's real? What idiots. What absolute morons.
    The more I look at it the more I wonder which person in the DfT social media team is a Labour supporter because outside London that post is worth 1,000s of votes
    Skynews are on to it:

https://news.sky.com/story/government-sparks-anger-and-ridicule-with-multi-million-network-north-road-project-for-london-13034791
    While I agree with the sentiment, this illustrates a bugbear of mine about modern journalism: the headline that tells you how to feel about the thing (or how others are feeling about the thing, inviting you to join in) before telling you the thing.
    See also:

* "Fear of". Polls of people's fears of a thing, instead of the actual thing
    * "Outrage by". People are outraged by a thing.
    * "Why we love X". We do? Really?
    * "Calls for". I frequently "call for" free ice-cream. It does not eventuate... :(
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    You would imagine - on a day where inflation falls (by no means the govt influencing) - that they would get their comms right

This network north stuff just absolute incenses me. Total utter bollocks - and they seemingly absolutely think it’ll work
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

if any PB-er is going through a messy divorce or break-up, I have a shocker of a story that might console (by putting yours in perspective)

Friend of mine told me - yesterday - that he's finally broken up with his partner of 20 years. It has been a long time coming and the last six months have basically been one long argument about this separation. It peaked when my friend went away for work for a fortnight in October, then got a Whatsapp message from his partner, while abroad, telling him she'd "had his dog put down"

She did this despite the kids wailing No, mum, no, even as the vet arrived with his syringe. Sheer spite

I get that some marriages, sadly, end in failure, but not why the divorces have to get so horrible and nasty.

I wonder if cheating and betrayal was involved?
    As far as I know, not in this case

Of course I am only getting his side of the story, but she has quite a reputation for volatile behaviour

She is also seriously well-known in posho/arty circles so I shall say no more
    It’s good advice to try and find friends who are better than you.

That can present a challenge, but in your case it widens the pool so very considerably that I’d suggest it’s worth a shot.
    LEAVE THE DOG ALONE, IAN
    He’s fine, thank you for asking

Dog. For scale.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,798

Further to the earlier discussion on internal threats to the US, here’s a Berkeley professor calling for an intifada in America. The focus on the far-right ignores the growing radicalisation of the left against western states.

People overlook this because of a reflexive belief that left=good and right=bad. There is also a tactic that worked for a long time whereby the 'far-right' is equated with fascism and something no respectable person could support. This has now metamorphised into 'hate' which is outlawed, 'hate' being whatever is convenient as defined by those in power, so generally 'right wing' stuff. There are good reasons to vote for a 'far right' party just to try and change this direction of travel. I think this is what is behind a lot of quiet Trump support along with the election of 'far right' parties across Europe.
  • Options
    ‘One Pint Willy’: Mike Tindall reveals his nickname for the Prince of Wales

The former England rugby player has revealed that unlike some royals, William is ‘not the best of drinkers’

His great-aunt was rarely without a glass of Famous Grouse whisky, only switching to gin on trips to Mustique. Doctors only managed to stop his grandmother’s nightly martini habit when she reached 95, and his father is said to be partial to a strong pre-dinner cocktail.

Despite the number of drinkers in the family, the Prince of Wales will be one of the most lightweight monarchs in recent memory if Mike Tindall’s nickname for the heir, “One Pint Willy”, is accurate.

“Oh my god, you’re in so much trouble”, Tindall’s wife and William’s cousin Zara said, after the former England rugby player revealed the nickname on a podcast.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/one-pint-willy-mike-tindall-reveals-his-nickname-for-the-prince-of-wales-7dprvj35m
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    viewcode said:

Further to the earlier discussion on internal threats to the US, here’s a Berkeley professor calling for an intifada in America. The focus on the far-right ignores the growing radicalisation of the left against western states. https://x.com/shaidavidai/status/1737512500986290596

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Posted on official DfT X account. I know... I was also looking for the indications of it being a spoof.
    That, literally, as in my back hurts, made me fall of my chair. It's real? What idiots. What absolute morons.
    The more I look at it the more I wonder which person in the DfT social media team is a Labour supporter because outside London that post is worth 1,000s of votes
    Skynews are on to it:

https://news.sky.com/story/government-sparks-anger-and-ridicule-with-multi-million-network-north-road-project-for-london-13034791
    While I agree with the sentiment, this illustrates a bugbear of mine about modern journalism: the headline that tells you how to feel about the thing (or how others are feeling about the thing, inviting you to join in) before telling you the thing.
    See also:

* "Calls for". I frequently "call for" free ice-cream. It does not eventuate... :(
    The bit I don't understand is how some left- wing lone wolf bullsh*tter is more dangerous for @williamglenn than a President who with the backing of the Republican Party, has carefully explained how he plans to turn the World's biggest democracy into Putin's Russia.
  • Options

You would imagine - on a day where inflation falls (by no means the govt influencing) - that they would get their comms right

This network north stuff just absolute incenses me. Total utter bollocks - and they seemingly absolutely think it’ll work

With this lot, I would never imagine that,

It would be like hearing the DfE have spent a day sober. Or an OFSTED inspector told the truth in court.

So far from their nature and habitual practice that it might actually cause the earth to rock on its axis.
  • Options
    darkage said:

People overlook this because of a reflexive belief that left=good and right=bad. There is also a tactic that worked for a long time whereby the 'far-right' is equated with fascism and something no respectable person could support. This has now metamorphised into 'hate' which is outlawed, 'hate' being whatever is convenient as defined by those in power, so generally 'right wing' stuff. There are good reasons to vote for a 'far right' party just to try and change this direction of travel. I think this is what is behind a lot of quiet Trump support along with the election of 'far right' parties across Europe.
    Well that's boll*cks too. Extremes to the right or left are bad. The problem at the moment is extremes on the right are in the ascendency.

So in order to keep utterly incompetent and failed left wing dictators at bay is to vote for an extreme right-wing authoritarian wing-nut dictator. Idiot!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,136

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

The bit I don't understand is how some left- wing lone wolf bullsh*tter is more dangerous for @williamglenn than a President who with the backing of the Republican Party, has carefully explained how he plans to turn the World's biggest democracy into Putin's Russia.
    He hasn't carefully explained any such thing and he wouldn't have the constitutional or institutional power even if he wanted to.

To take one example, think of the way Putin treated Khodorkovsky. Do you seriously have visions of Trump doing something similar?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,245

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

He hasn't carefully explained any such thing and he wouldn't have the constitutional or institutional power even if he wanted to.

To take one example, think of the way Putin treated Khodorkovsky. Do you seriously have visions of Trump doing something similar?
    Well, he has the Supreme Court. That’s a start.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,017

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

if any PB-er is going through a messy divorce or break-up, I have a shocker of a story that might console (by putting yours in perspective)

Friend of mine told me - yesterday - that he's finally broken up with his partner of 20 years. It has been a long time coming and the last six months have basically been one long argument about this separation. It peaked when my friend went away for work for a fortnight in October, then got a Whatsapp message from his partner, while abroad, telling him she'd "had his dog put down"

She did this despite the kids wailing No, mum, no, even as the vet arrived with his syringe. Sheer spite

I get that some marriages, sadly, end in failure, but not why the divorces have to get so horrible and nasty.

I wonder if cheating and betrayal was involved?
    As far as I know, not in this case

Of course I am only getting his side of the story, but she has quite a reputation for volatile behaviour

She is also seriously well-known in posho/arty circles so I shall say no more
    It’s good advice to try and find friends who are better than you.

That can present a challenge, but in your case it widens the pool so very considerably that I’d suggest it’s worth a shot.
    LEAVE THE DOG ALONE, IAN
    He’s fine, thank you for asking

GB/PB news caption - "Brave British dog threatened by rising tide of Woke extremism"
    In local news; Brave British dog survives Labour landslide.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Not in her case. Isn't she coached by Rishi?

No, Rishi, you need to be able to think more than one move ahead.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,026
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Good evening

I have just been listening to the verdict of the murder of 16 year old Brianna Ghey and words fail me

Apparently two teenagers, one a boy, the other a girl who was friends with Brianna and who Brianna trusted lured her to a park and stabbed her 28 times

It seems the killers had planned the murder as they wanted to experience what killing was like

Such utter evil is impossible to understand

RIP Brianna

From the brief bits of it I had followed had it not been her it would have been someone else.

Utterly awful.

Poor child, all her life ahead of her. snuffed out for no reason at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_and_Loeb

Same shit, different day…
    Never heard of that case before. Awful

Venables and Thompson too.
    The Edlington case - which happened at the back of my school - is similar too, almost just blind luck that let the victims survive. There’s not much as dangerous as a damaged kid. That’s why they were used as the frontline in the Cultural Revolution I guess.
  • Options

The former England rugby player has revealed that unlike some royals, William is ‘not the best of drinkers’

His great-aunt was rarely without a glass of Famous Grouse whisky, only switching to gin on trips to Mustique. Doctors only managed to stop his grandmother’s nightly martini habit when she reached 95, and his father is said to be partial to a strong pre-dinner cocktail.

Despite the number of drinkers in the family, the Prince of Wales will be one of the most lightweight monarchs in recent memory if Mike Tindall’s nickname for the heir, “One Pint Willy”, is accurate.

“Oh my god, you’re in so much trouble”, Tindall’s wife and William’s cousin Zara said, after the former England rugby player revealed the nickname on a podcast.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/one-pint-willy-mike-tindall-reveals-his-nickname-for-the-prince-of-wales-7dprvj35m

Really? I’m called One Pint Willy because my knob fills a pint glass.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

I expect Trump to punish political opponents this time around. I expect Trump to ensure a third term and I suspect he will be comfortable to use methods irreconcilable with democracy to achieve this. I expect the scapegoating of racial groups, and I expect Trump as Commander in Chief to utilise the military under his command to escalate unrest. He is venal, narcissistic and dangerous.

Now you will counter this by retorting,"he didn't do this first time around". But after he lost an election he was convinced he would win that is exactly what he tried to do. He attempted with violence to reverse the democratic will of the people.

Now, that Laffer Curve...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    darkage said:

I don't think anyone thinks Communism is "good". I will concede there's a lazy commentary about fascism as an ideology of the "right" - in all fairness, the first targets of fascism were communists and others on the left such as trades union activists very often because it was those elements who offered serious physical political opposition but in time liberals and conservatives were also suppressed, imprisoned and killed by fascist regimes.

I confess I don't "get" the whole national conservative populist thing at all. I can appreciate many thinking politics has failed them, thinking "the system" is weighted against them and being open to siren messages of "hope" from orators like Johnson, Bolsonaro, Trump and the rest. The truth of course is these populists won't deliver on their promises, they'll blame someone and anyone especially immigrants. Social conservatism mixed with economic liberalism may help some - the richest normally. Those from the poorer and arguably neglected areas of society who throw in their lot with the populists will get the sum total of bugger all.

If there's one way I've learned it's those who say what you want to hear you should fear.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Unusually small, is it?
  • Options

geoffw said:

No, Rishi, you need to be able to think
    I'd have left it there.
  • Options
    stodge said:

darkage said:

I don't think anyone thinks Communism is "good". I will concede there's a lazy commentary about fascism as an ideology of the "right" - in all fairness, the first targets of fascism were communists and others on the left such as trades union activists very often because it was those elements who offered serious physical political opposition but in time liberals and conservatives were also suppressed, imprisoned and killed by fascist regimes.

I confess I don't "get" the whole national conservative populist thing at all. I can appreciate many thinking politics has failed them, thinking "the system" is weighted against them and being open to siren messages of "hope" from orators like Johnson, Bolsonaro, Trump and the rest. The truth of course is these populists won't deliver on their promises, they'll blame someone and anyone especially immigrants. Social conservatism mixed with economic liberalism may help some - the richest normally. Those from the poorer and arguably neglected areas of society who throw in their lot with the populists will get the sum total of bugger all.

If there's one way I've learned it's those who say what you want to hear you should fear.
    On a point of pedantry - the first Fascists (notably Mussolini himself) were ex-Communists.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Unusually small, is it?
    Pint glasses generally hold a fixed volume.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Unusually small, is it?
    Pint glasses generally hold a fixed volume.
    Well, yes, but none of them will take the eight foot horn I have on full swell of my organ.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

I expect Trump to punish political opponents this time around. I expect Trump to ensure a third term and I suspect he will be comfortable to use methods irreconcilable with democracy to achieve this. I expect the scapegoating of racial groups, and I expect Trump as Commander in Chief to utilise the military under his command to escalate unrest. He is venal, narcissistic and dangerous.

Now you will counter this by retorting,"he didn't do this first time around". But after he lost an election he was convinced he would win that is exactly what he tried to do. He attempted with violence to reverse the democratic will of the people.

His fourth term will really be the brutal one though...
  • Options

geoffw said:

No, Rishi, you need to be able to think more than one move ahead.
    And why have you made me sit on this unreasonably small chair while you stand on a box?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

On a point of pedantry - the first Fascists (notably Mussolini himself) were ex-Communists.
    Indeed and supposedly Hitler too flirted with extreme left-wing politics in post-WW1 Munich before joining the NSDAP. The notion of the powerful State and the subservient individual was very powerful and had been accentuated by the wartime experience which had seen huge expansion in central Government control over many aspects of people's lives.

Communism was seen as a "modern" ideology but the way in which traditional institutions were destroyed by the Bolsheviks shocked many in western Europe - Fascism proved the modernity and the power of the State while retaining and even stengthening notions of national cultural and social identity.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

I doubt he will make that one, but we always have Don Jnr and Eric to fly the flag.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

There could be a rather amusing irony if Trump were to try for a third term.

If he did so, he'd have to amend the constitution, or eliminate it.

The only realistic way of doing either is via an Article 5 convention.

But, because Trump's supporters are a minority in the US, it might end up by drawing up a much more radical constitutional settlement that would fuck over his supporters. No Electoral College. No firearms provisions. No silliness over presidents being above the law.

That would be epic karma.

Probably too late To stave off civil war, but hilarious nevertheless.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DougSeal said:

One of the idiosyncrasies of PB is when the thread turns towards the evisceration of Western Democracy the mood can be lightened by a nob joke!
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

I doubt he will make that one, but we always have Don Jnr and Eric to fly the flag.
    I'm picturing Whoops Apocalypse with the Ayatollah being propped up on a balcony and his hand-wave pulled by a string.

(Long time since I've watched it mind you - I tried during lockdown and found it... somewhat less than I remembered...)
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,929
    Network North = potholes in London. Beautiful.

Encapsulates everything wrong with transport policy. More money transferred to London for a short term fix, while long term infrastructure projects in the north are cancelled.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

Thought "octopus" was ipso facto antisemitism write large? Or was it small?

Same way "elephant" always means Republican . . . at least in the USA . . .

It's on the menu of at least two of those fish restaurants Leon was talking about yesterday. I checked the menu out of interest for my next visit to the arseh- the current capital of the UK.

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That's what you get for waving your private parts in someone's face.

I mean, it's astonishing this sort of behaviour even occurs in the first place.
    I know.

Where's the respect for authority?

In my day, you accepted your boss waving his bits with good grace. If you told anyone - which you really shouldn't - it would be your mates down the pub. You certainly wouldn't go crying to some ridiculous standards body.
    I must be unlucky. No manager of mine has either waved his dick or her thrupnies in my face. The latter being less offensive than the former.
    I believe managers are less likely to wave their bits at unattractive employees.
    I’m beautiful on the inside. Does that count ?
    Well, whop your liver out and we'll have a look. :)
  • Options
    geoffw said:

The sequel to "The Creator" is not going well
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    darkage said:

DougSeal said:

I hear that TfL have received HS2 funding to extend the No. 38 bus route, which currently runs from Victoria Station to Stoke Newington, all the way up to Watford.

Part of the Network North initiative.

I used to get the 38 to work from Angel Islington when it was an old Routemaster. Got off at Piccadilly and walked across Green Park. Great days.
    I did this exact same commute for a while but from Dalston Junction on the original Routemaster. Living in London and paying £70 a week in rent. Probably the best years of my life.

It is odd because not much has changed physically to London over the last 20 years (with the exception of tall buildings being thrown up) but the sense of place has in many ways changed profoundly so it is impossible to find the place you knew.

This video of London from 1999 (and the comments on it) is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI04Dd3zzO8&t=2069s
    Love this: I was in the early years of secondary school then it feels so familiar, and yet also a foreign country. The streetscape is the same, some of the shops are the same (that Pret in High Holborn), and the cars and the people (the whiteness) are totally different. The radio is the soundtrack of my childhood. Has London lost something since, or am I just nostalgic for something I nearly lived through but didn't.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/20/schools-in-uk-face-legal-risks-if-they-follow-new-transgender-guidance

'Schools in England could face legal action if they follow new guidance on how to treat transgender children, ministers’ own lawyers have reportedly warned.

Advice issued prior to the education secretary, Gillian Keegan, and the equalities minister, Kemi Badenoch, publishing draft guidance to schools and colleges which said they had no duty to allow students to “socially transition”, warns of significant legal risks if they follow it.'
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    WRT Wellingborough, it is a magnificently boring place generally, but against all expectation is the site of one of the great masterpieces of early 20th century architecture - St Mary's Wellingborough, the greatest work of Sir Ninian Comper.

Betting post: I wonder whether the Tories could be value if they drift a bit in the betting.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

I'm picturing Whoops Apocalypse with the Ayatollah being propped up on a balcony and his hand-wave pulled by a string.

(Long time since I've watched it mind you - I tried during lockdown and found it... somewhat less than I remembered...)
    I tried to see it a few years ago. It's...not great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEJ9Is5sZUw
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/20/schools-in-uk-face-legal-risks-if-they-follow-new-transgender-guidance

'Schools in England could face legal action if they follow new guidance on how to treat transgender children, ministers’ own lawyers have reportedly warned.

Advice issued prior to the education secretary, Gillian Keegan, and the equalities minister, Kemi Badenoch, publishing draft guidance to schools and colleges which said they had no duty to allow students to “socially transition”, warns of significant legal risks if they follow it.'

"Do what government says; get sued" is the message. A lovely example of an important fact, one which this government and many MPs are blind to. Everything government says and all that parliament enacts is part of an 800 year old matrix of interlocking webs involving everything they, and the courts, have ever decided, said or enacted before. As they will further discover if they ever get the Rwanda (Paddington Deportation) Bill into law.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

"Do what government says; get sued" is the message. A lovely example of an important fact, one which this government and many MPs are blind to. Everything government says and all that parliament enacts is part of an 800 year old matrix of interlocking webs involving everything they, and the courts, have ever decided, said or enacted before. As they will further discover if they ever get the Rwanda (Paddington Deportation) Bill into law.
    This crops up a lot. Rwanda being the obvious case. I don't think the party gets on a gut level that they have to act within the law. If the law prevents them, then the proper procedure is to change the law, not issue statements saying they really mean it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

geoffw said:

"When she says "Starmer is PM in two moves" - she is joking, right?"
    That is extremely funny.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,772
    guybrush said:

darkage said:

DougSeal said:

I hear that TfL have received HS2 funding to extend the No. 38 bus route, which currently runs from Victoria Station to Stoke Newington, all the way up to Watford.

I used to get the 38 to work from Angel Islington when it was an old Routemaster. Got off at Piccadilly and walked across Green Park. Great days.
    I did this exact same commute for a while but from Dalston Junction on the original Routemaster. Living in London and paying £70 a week in rent. Probably the best years of my life.

It is odd because not much has changed physically to London over the last 20 years (with the exception of tall buildings being thrown up) but the sense of place has in many ways changed profoundly so it is impossible to find the place you knew.

This video of London from 1999 (and the comments on it) is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI04Dd3zzO8&t=2069s
    Love this: I was in the early years of secondary school then it feels so familiar, and yet also a foreign country. The streetscape is the same, some of the shops are the same (that Pret in High Holborn), and the cars and the people (the whiteness) are totally different. The radio is the soundtrack of my childhood. Has London lost something since, or am I just nostalgic for something I nearly lived through but didn't.
    I think it depends where in London you are. I've lived in SE4 since the end of the 1990s and it's much better here now. The housing stock was always pleasant but there was nothing to do, few decent restaurants or shops, plenty of sorry looking roads with more estate agents than grocery stores. Now in 2023 it's not quite Kensington and Chelsea but the transport links are better, the shops and restaurants are in a completely different universe, but it still has the community feel it always had.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

"Look you unconvincing homunculus, the horsey goes over the pawns in an "L" shape. No don't look at my Dad, he thinks you're an idiot too"

• Options
    Anyone notice the commentary on the new EU agreement on asylum seekers? It seems to imply far more effective resettlement and at least a small step on the road towards member states taking their fair share rather than hanging Italy and Greece out to dry. The implication, mentioned on R4 today, is that far fewer will be heading to Calais.

Could the EU help to fix Rishi's small boats problem?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Fascist Italy and the Soviets collaborated, albeit briefly, in warship design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirov-class_cruiser
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

It's honestly amazing how bad the Sunak team are at politics. Before politics the people working with him must have had a bloody nightmare, clearly he's smart but he's also a total wally.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,037

Secret Barrister is very trendy most of the time, but they won't take crap on that issue from twitter legal warriors.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

This crops up a lot. Rwanda being the obvious case. I don't think the party gets on a gut level that they have to act within the law. If the law prevents them, then the proper procedure is to change the law, not issue statements saying they really mean it.
    Not even that- all the different laws have to be consistent. If you have laws that contradict, that's a problem. It's not insuperable, but it requires thought and follow through, and mostly the government can't be bothered.

See also the Eurolaw Shredding Plan. How was that ever supposed to work?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134

Just seen my first Superloop bus, an express bus serving North Finchley from areas around the capital. Launched a fortnight ago Google tells me
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

They are pale imitations. You can tell Trump has no filter, it's him all the way, and they just pathetically try to replicate his style.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Which is why they try simplistic fixes, as drafting things properly is very hard.
  • Options
    glw said:

It's honestly amazing how bad the Sunak team are at politics. Before politics the people working with him must have had a bloody nightmare, clearly he's smart but he's also a total wally.
    There's the difference between "can do complicated things" and "can judge what complicated things are worth doing". Sunak can do well on the first (and scoring 1/2 puts him ahead of some of his predecessors) but he's utterly awful at the second.

As a sterotypical boffin myself, Sunak is a hideous case study as to why boffins should be on tap and not on top.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    32k+ people voted for that moron Peter Bone? This country is indeed going to the dogs. I mean, jeez.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

32k+ people voted for that moron Peter Bone? This country is indeed going to the dogs. I mean, jeez.

They voted for the Conservative candidate.

Wellingborough isn't a seat Labour can take without thousands and thousands of Conservative voters sitting on their hands.

But, I expect them to do so.
  • Options

Just seen my first Superloop bus, an express bus serving North Finchley from areas around the capital. Launched a fortnight ago Google tells me
    Express? Good luck with all the traffic :lol:
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

glw said:

There's the difference between "can do complicated things" and "can judge what complicated things are worth doing". Sunak can do well on the first (and scoring 1/2 puts him ahead of some of his predecessors) but he's utterly awful at the second.

As a sterotypical boffin myself, Sunak is a hideous case study as to why boffins should be on tap and not on top.
    I think Sunak on the campaign trail will be worse than May in 2017.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Christopher Chope, a known waste of wrinkly skin, was elected by 33K people
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Whag is missed in this debate is that schools have an overriding safeguarding duty with regard to the children in their care and there are numerous laws, rules and government guidance which they must follow. That safeguarding obligation applies to children exhibiting gender distress. This guidance needs to be put in the context of this overriding duty and all the other applicable laws and guidelines. It is not something to be viewed in isolation and there is no automatic course of action to be followed in all cases given schools duties to all the children in their care.

Those who claim that you must either do this or not do that do not understand what safeguarding really means and do children a disservice. I have just completed my Level 3 DSL training and there is a lot to learn and think about. From my initial review of the guidance and advice from an equality lawyer friend of mine this guidance seems to comply with the law but it needs careful review. What it does not need is a load of activists, whatever their views, seeking to use children for their own agendas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

In my experience most young people don't drink that much alcohol, so might help the Prince with under 30s
  • Options
    stodge said:

darkage said:

Well if they voted for reduced immigration they get that.

Of course economically Trump and Boris are actually quite big spend in some areas too, neither are pure laissez faire Thatcherites or Reaganites. Trump is also anti free trade and pro tariff too
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Rishi's cunning new plan to win back voters in the redwall? Playing chess with under 10s in the No 10 garden and telling them where they are going wrong?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

DavidL said:

Wellingborough isn't a seat Labour can take without thousands and thousands of Conservative voters sitting on their hands.

In a nutshell, you capture a huge failing in our current electoral system.

We pretend that we vote for an individual to represent us in parliament but in reality we vote for a party, and that party's policies.

I happen to think my local MP (Simon Hoare) is a pretty good MP, dedicated to public service and by all accounts a good advocate for his constituents. But I am not going to vote for him in the foreseeable because I dislike everything the current Conservative Party stands for.

Maybe we should have two votes - one for the party whose policies we support and one for the person we want as our MP. The catch being the MPs have to implement the winning party's manifesto no matter what party they themselves prefer.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

One of the arguments against "recall" is that not having it would force voters to pay more attention to whom they are voting for in the first place.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

He can only do that if the military support him (assuming he is elected again next year too and not in jail). In Jan 2021 US generals did not support his attempt to throw out the EC results
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Whag is missed in this debate is that schools have an overriding safeguarding duty with regard to the children in their care and there are numerous laws, rules and government guidance which they must follow. That safeguarding obligation applies to children exhibiting gender distress. This guidance needs to be put in the context of this overriding duty and all the other applicable laws and guidelines. It is not something to be viewed in isolation and there is no automatic course of action to be followed in all cases given schools duties to all the children in their care.

Those who claim that you must either do this or not do that do not understand what safeguarding really means and do children a disservice. I have just completed my Level 3 DSL training and there is a lot to learn and think about. From my initial review of the guidance and advice from an equality lawyer friend of mine this guidance seems to comply with the law but it needs careful review. What it does not need is a load of activists, whatever their views, seeking to use children for their own agendas.
    I'm sure that people will approach this subject with all the tact and care they have shown to date.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In my experience most young people don't drink that much alcohol, so might help the Prince with under 30s
    “Might” having to do a lot of heavy lifting there, @HYUFD. I would be surprised if his drinking capabilities will even register on most under 30s radar.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    HYUFD said:

Very boring and abstemious. My kind of people.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,442
    edited December 2023
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Very boring and abstentions. My kind of people.
    I have no strong feelings one way or another.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

One of the arguments against "recall" is that not having it would force voters to pay more attention to whom they are voting for in the first place.
    It didn't though did it.

Chope has been MP for Christchurch at every election since 1997. The Recall of MPs Act was not passed until 2015.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

Skynews are on to it:

See also:

I tried to see it a few years ago. It's...not great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEJ9Is5sZUw
    Yeah - I only watched 10 minutes or so then decided I was happier with my memory of it than the reality.

Much like my likely Labour vote next year.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Very boring and abstentions. My kind of people.
    Caught by autocorrect?

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

DavidL said:

Wellingborough voted Lab in 97, I think?

The sort of seat which votes massively Conservative when Lab is unelectable. Not massively wealthy. Not maasively anything, really. Middle England redux. Massively motivated to keep the liked of Corbyn, or even Miliband out. But few obvious reasons to vote the Tory candidate in if Labour are sane.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

I'm sure that people will approach this subject with all the tact and care they have shown to date.
    Well, if they don't and work in a school they will put the children in the school, the school and, ultimately, their own jobs at risk. So they'd best be advised to start developing some tact and care and willingness to follow the rules and the law.

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

Rishi's cunning new plan to win back voters in the redwall? Playing chess with under 10s in the No 10 garden and telling them where they are going wrong?
    "So you think we need stop playing Wing Gambits and go for the Center Counter instead?"

• Options
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

The sort of seat which votes massively Conservative when Lab is unelectable. Not massively wealthy. Not maasively anything, really. Middle England redux. Massively motivated to keep the liked of Corbyn, or even Miliband out. But few obvious reasons to vote the Tory candidate in if Labour are sane.
    Has the railway through Wellingborough been electrified yet?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Well, if they don't and work in a school they will put the children in the school, the school and, ultimately, their own jobs at risk. So they'd best be advised to start developing some tact and care and willingness to follow the rules and the law.

Just a thought: is the guidance you have been reading the actual new draft guidance discussed in the report? From an earlier report the latter seems not to have been published.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/19/englands-schools-must-be-involved-in-new-transgender-guidance-union-warns
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

I remember a radio documentary a few years ago about Northamptonshire. The Kansas of Britain. One of the flyover counties, along with Beds and Leicestershire. Apparently it has the highest concentration per capita of personalised number plates in the country.
  • Options
    Rishi is utterly useless. A wet wipe
  • Options

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

The electrification of Northamptonshire

We could turn it into an opera if we all pulled together as a team.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Unfortunately, there are claims that the rules and the law pull in different directions.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/trans-guidance-dfe-lawyers-said-schools-face-high-risk-of-being-sued/
  • Options

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Yes it has. Trains to Corby via Wellingborough and Kettering are now electrified.

Corby is one of the few stations to reopen twice. It was originally closed in 1966. Then reopened in around 1987 as a branch from Kettering. That didn't work so it closed. Subsequently it has reopened and has two trains an hour from London.
  • Options

Rishi is utterly useless. A wet wipe

Wet wipes are far from useless. Especially if someone has shat themselves, as this government seems to often.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Unfortunately, there are claims that the rules and the law pull in different directions.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/trans-guidance-dfe-lawyers-said-schools-face-high-risk-of-being-sued/
    Not an uncommon situation unfortunately. Never assume government guidance will he 100% correct.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    I'm sorry, I've realised UK Politics is all my fault.

I was bumbling around Electoral Calculus a few weeks ago, as you do, and I wondered what on earth the Tories would need to do to lose the new Weald of Kent seat (think Mid Bedfordshire without the large towns).

I may have been standing too close to an Alexa when I had that thought.
  • Options

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

I'm now seeing the South Park 'Philip Glass' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tPsv00Caag
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I'm sorry, I've realised UK Politics is all my fault.

I was bumbling around Electoral Calculus a few weeks ago, as you do, and I wondered what on earth the Tories would need to do to lose the new Weald of Kent seat (think Mid Bedfordshire without the large towns).

I may have been standing too close to an Alexa when I had that thought.

Change will soon be afoot in the Weald of Kent though. Give it a decade or so and it’ll be Lib Dem territory.

The constituency houses inter alia the following vineyards: Biddenden, Chapel Down, Hamstreet, Hush Heath, Gusbourne, Woodchurch, Wayfarer, Harbourne, Oxney Organic, and several smaller producers. Lib Dems follow the vine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That's because they're all doing cocaine. It's rampant. And way cheaper than booze.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,012
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

And in 2001 too. Was an ultra marginal both times.
    Incidentally. I didn't realise Bone only became an MP in 2005. I thought he was one of those who'd always been there.
  • Options
    My flight tomorrow has been cancelled.
    So my rebook has given me eight hours in Amsterdam.
    Shall I do the traditional PB thing and ask for recommendations to while away those unexpected short notice hours?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited December 2023
    Anyone know what Peter Bone was supposed to have done? An ill judged seduction of a nubile young secretary seems pretty unlikely
  • Options

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Yes it has. Trains to Corby via Wellingborough and Kettering are now electrified.

Corby is one of the few stations to reopen twice. It was originally closed in 1966. Then reopened in around 1987 as a branch from Kettering. That didn't work so it closed. Subsequently it has reopened and has two trains an hour from London.
    D'oh! Of course it's been electrified - I even went to Corby back in March!

I was actually thinking of the line through Market Harborough and beyond!
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Pause

Pause

I like Philip Glass. :(

(mopes)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Anyone know what Peter Bone was supposed to have done? An ill judged seduction of a nubile young secretary seems pretty unlikely

Waved his bone in someone's face.
    Allegedly. He denied it. And bullying.
    The Committee thought otherwise.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ohnotnow said:

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Pause

Pause

I like Philip Glass. :(

(mopes)
    I also am a fan of Philip "One Tune" Glass.
This discussion has been closed.