Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another difficult Tory by-election defence – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

O/T but concerning a PB perennial question - about the Horizon scandal, where did the money go if the subPOs didn't steal it?

Short answer, the PO didn't know or seemingly much care.

'It is therefore perfectly likely that the Post Office took money which rightfully belonged to its Subpostmasters and used it to bolster its bottom line. This was part-admitted by Post Office CEO Nick Read in a parliamentary committee meeting in January 2021:

Chair: But you have to do a profit and loss account, do you not, Mr Read, with money coming in and money going out? If victims were putting money into the Post Office, surely you know that money came in from somewhere. Did it just go to your bottom line?
    Nick Read: It went into a general suspense account.

What Mr Read didn’t tell the Committee was that after three years (according to one source I have spoken to), if entries in the suspense account were not identified and/or claimed, the cash was swept into the Post Office’s P&L account and counted as profit. Trebles on the back of Subpostmaster misery all round.'

https://www.postofficescandal.uk/post/podcast-where-did-all-the-money-go/

So money extracted from postmasters courtesy of Horizon & etc., were ultimately accounted as part of PO profit . . . and thus as part of the calculation & allocation of bonuses for PO "managers"?

IF so, no wonder they were NOT eager to identify let alone correct errors.
    As I understand it, the Horizen system was over recording transactions so that the centrally reported revenue was more than the cash in the till. Hence the apparent shortfall that sub-postmasters were prosecuted for.

So there was no extra money or profit. There was an over recording of revenue with presumably a bad debt entry to cover the apparent shortfall in cash.
    I don't think anyone responded to my question yesterday about what happened when 'errors' were 'discovered' at sub-post offices run by large companies such as WH Smith.
    OKC - The SPM's were subcontractors, so big outfits like WH Smith would not have been involved.

Barnesian - I believe there were sometimes overstatements as well as under. I think the overs were ignored. The unders were normally recouped under duress from the SPMs. So yes, the PO trousered a lot of money that it was not entitled to, and as far as I am aware, it still has that money.
    So the "extra profit" is the result of extortion? I assume that will be returned to the SPMs as well as substantial damages. Should have happened already.
    Yes.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Yes.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,136
    TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

tlg86 said:

Lock him up...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/20/why-brianna-ghey-police-quickly-ruled-out-transphobia-as-motive

Although transphobia did not come up in the trial, the judge, Mrs Justice Yip, may consider it to be an aggravating factor when sentencing one or both of the teenagers. But she told potential jurors on the first day of the trial to put aside any “uninformed views” about Brianna’s killing.

She also took a dim view of online commentators who pronounced that the defendants were transphobic. After the case was opened, the prosecution complained about a tweet from the barrister Jolyon Maugham, the founder of the Good Law Project, saying the teenagers had exchanged “transphobic slurs”.

Yip said the tweet was potentially in contempt of court, a serious crime that has previously resulted in short jail terms for those judged to have prejudiced a trial. Heer said the prosecution had deliberately not used such terms in the presence of the jury.

The trial was livetweeted. You can find it here: https://nitter.net/jessothomson/status/1729078401166881158

I assume the remarks in question were one or more of the following:
    • “Is it a femboy or a tranny?"
    • “Tell me what you feel when you interact with it”.
    • “I don’t think you’re necessarily in love but I think you’re more curious and intrigued by its unnatural nature”.
    • “yeah, it’ll be easier and I want to see if it will scream like a man or a girl”.
    As for the non-antitrans part of the murder plot, the couple were intensely interested in carrying out a murder. They prepared to kill two people: one who they thought a nonce, another who they thought an it. The first one changed their plans, so they went for Ghey. Ironically she had anxiety attacks which her mother tried to alleviate by encouraging her to use the bus, thus inadvertently providing an attack window for her killers. Things then proceeded in a predictable fashion.
    Predictable fashion? Are you fucking kidding me. How was what happened predictable.
    They planned to kill two. One became unavailable. Hence...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,386

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

O/T but concerning a PB perennial question - about the Horizon scandal, where did the money go if the subPOs didn't steal it?

'It is therefore perfectly likely that the Post Office took money which rightfully belonged to its Subpostmasters and used it to bolster its bottom line. This was part-admitted by Post Office CEO Nick Read in a parliamentary committee meeting in January 2021:

Chair: But you have to do a profit and loss account, do you not, Mr Read, with money coming in and money going out? If victims were putting money into the Post Office, surely you know that money came in from somewhere. Did it just go to your bottom line?

What Mr Read didn’t tell the Committee was that after three years (according to one source I have spoken to), if entries in the suspense account were not identified and/or claimed, the cash was swept into the Post Office’s P&L account and counted as profit. Trebles on the back of Subpostmaster misery all round.'

So money extracted from postmasters courtesy of Horizon & etc., were ultimately accounted as part of PO profit . . . and thus as part of the calculation & allocation of bonuses for PO "managers"?

As I understand it, the Horizen system was over recording transactions so that the centrally reported revenue was more than the cash in the till. Hence the apparent shortfall that sub-postmasters were prosecuted for.

So there was no extra money or profit. There was an over recording of revenue with presumably a bad debt entry to cover the apparent shortfall in cash.
    I don't think anyone responded to my question yesterday about what happened when 'errors' were 'discovered' at sub-post offices run by large companies such as WH Smith.
    OKC - The SPM's were subcontractors, so big outfits like WH Smith would not have been involved.

Barnesian - I believe there were sometimes overstatements as well as under. I think the overs were ignored. The unders were normally recouped under duress from the SPMs. So yes, the PO trousered a lot of money that it was not entitled to, and as far as I am aware, it still has that money.
    So the "extra profit" is the result of extortion? I assume that will be returned to the SPMs as well as substantial damages. Should have happened already.
    Yes.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Yes.
    The more this drags on the worse it gets.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,917
    Late afternoon all :)

Wellingborough was the 115th safest Conservative seat at the last election and the numbers are very close to Selby & Ainsty in terms of swing.

The North Northamptonshire elections way back in 2021 produced a landslide for the Conservatives but the seats in Wellingborough were quite competitive then and two and a half years on you can see why Labour might fancy their chances. However, that optimism might be tempered by the even more staunchly parts of East Northamptonshire such as Rushden which are also in the Wellingborough Constituency.
  • Options
    For those wondering how Network North could be so badly communicated remember that the whole policy was put together quickly and quietly by a small crack team of Sunak and treasury loyalists because it was really, really important that no-one could possibly know that HS2 was being cancelled ahead of his key speech reveal......
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,629
    edited December 2023
    I hear that TfL have received HS2 funding to extend the No. 38 bus route, which currently runs from Victoria Station to Stoke Newington, all the way up to Watford.

Part of the Network North initiative.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

Yes.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Yes.
    Recouped from PO top brass bonuses?

No, I'm not holding my breath, either. Although I live in hope!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,893
    Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

Yes.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Yes.
    And the worse it gets the more we should talk about it, shout about it even.

We can each do a little bit to keep it in the public eye, talk to our friends, get them fired up by it too. This is massive and must not be forgotten,
  • Options
    Call. The. Election.

Rishi this is just embarrassing mate.
  • Options

I hear that TfL have received HS2 funding to extend the No. 38 bus route, which currently runs from Victoria Station to Stoke Newington, all the way up to Watford.

Levelling-up innit?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That's what you get for waving your private parts in someone's face.

I mean, it's astonishing this sort of behaviour even occurs in the first place.
    I know.

Where's the respect for authority?

In my day, you accepted your boss waving his bits with good grace. If you told anyone - which you really shouldn't - it would be your mates down the pub. You certainly wouldn't go crying to some ridiculous standards body.
    I must be unlucky. No manager of mine has either waved his dick or her thrupnies in my face. The latter being less offensive than the former.
    I believe managers are less likely to wave their bits at unattractive employees.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,350

I used to get the 38 to work from Angel Islington when it was an old Routemaster. Got off at Piccadilly and walked across Green Park. Great days.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231

Call. The. Election.

You think a campaign over Christmas and New Year is just what the nation is crying out for?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,629
    DougSeal said:

I used to get the 38 to work from Angel Islington when it was an old Routemaster. Got off at Piccadilly and walked across Green Park. Great days.
    Me too. Dalston to town, though for drinking sessions rather than work.

By the way, my post about extending it to Watford was intended to be a joke.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kamski said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

Well done Rishi!

That graphic has to be a (well done) fake.
    Posted on official DfT X account. I know... I was also looking for the indications of it being a spoof.
    That, literally, as in my back hurts, made me fall of my chair. It's real? What idiots. What absolute morons.
    The more I look at it the more I wonder which person in the DfT social media team is a Labour supporter because outside London that post is worth 1,000s of votes
    Skynews are on to it:

https://news.sky.com/story/government-sparks-anger-and-ridicule-with-multi-million-network-north-road-project-for-london-13034791
    While I agree with the sentiment, this illustrates a bugbear of mine about modern journalism: the headline that tells you how to feel about the thing (or how others are feeling about the thing, inviting you to join in) before telling you the thing.
    See also:

* "Fear of". Polls of people's fears of a thing, instead of the actual thing
    * "Outrage by". People are outraged by a thing.
    * "Why we love X". We do? Really?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Watford Gap?
  • Options

Call. The. Election.

Perhaps Rishi can call it 2 Jan for 2 May and we can have a 4 month campaign!

Will keep us occupied on here!

😈😊😈
  • Options

Call. The. Election.

You think a campaign over Christmas and New Year is just what the nation is crying out for?
    Yes.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,705
    edited December 2023
    if any PB-er is going through a messy divorce or break-up, I have a shocker of a story that might console (by putting yours in perspective)

Friend of mine told me - yesterday - that he's finally broken up with his partner of 20 years. It has been a long time coming and the last six months have basically been one long argument about this separation. It peaked when my friend went away for work for a fortnight in October, then got a Whatsapp message from his partner, while abroad, telling him she'd "had his dog put down"

She did this despite the kids wailing No, mum, no, even as the vet arrived with his syringe. Sheer spite
  • Options

Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

Yes.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Yes.
    And the worse it gets the more we should talk about it, shout about it even.

We can each do a little bit to keep it in the public eye, talk to our friends, get them fired up by it too. This is massive and must not be forgotten,
    Absolutely
  • Options
    Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

Yes.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Yes.
    Funny you should say that....

One of the actors in the upcoming TV series (starts Jan 1st) said he knew little about the scandal until he got the part. The more he found out about it, the worse it got. He could scarcely believe that it had actually happened.

Many of us who have been following the scandal have gone along a similar path. It starts with curiosity, then shock and horror, and then it gets worse and worse the more you learn about it. It is still getting worse.

On Monday and Tuesday we got a break from the usual parade of hapless PO workers and got to listen to the forensic analysis of Duncan Atkinson KC, who demolished any remaining vestige of credibility that the PO and Fujitsu might have had.

The level of ignorance and incompetence those organisations showed is jaw-dropping, and they are of course by no means the only culprits.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I know.

In my day, you accepted your boss waving his bits with good grace. If you told anyone - which you really shouldn't - it would be your mates down the pub. You certainly wouldn't go crying to some ridiculous standards body.
    I must be unlucky. No manager of mine has either waved his dick or her thrupnies in my face. The latter being less offensive than the former.
    I believe managers are less likely to wave their bits at unattractive employees.
    I’m beautiful on the inside. Does that count ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

if any PB-er is going through a messy divorce or break-up, I have a shocker of a story that might console (by putting yours in perspective)

Friend of mine told me - yesterday - that he's finally broken up with his partner of 20 years. It has been a long time coming and the last six months have basically been one long argument about this separation. It peaked when my friend went away for work for a fortnight in October, then got a Whatsapp message from his partner, while abroad, telling him she'd "had his dog put down"

She did this despite the kids wailing No, mum, no, even as the vet arrived with his syringe. Sheer spite

WOKE
  • Options

Call. The. Election.

Yes.
    https://youtu.be/D00M2KZH1J0?si=baeHXsAFR_X_vwHC
  • Options
    Taz said:

Call. The. Election.

Yes.
    https://youtu.be/D00M2KZH1J0?si=baeHXsAFR_X_vwHC
    I think I’m far more in touch than the majority of people that called for SKS to resign over a curry.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,186
    Anyone pointed out yet that inflation falling doesn't imply prices are falling?
    But prices falling *does* imply inflation falling
  • Options
    Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I know.

Yes x
  • Options
    Leon said:

I get that some marriages, sadly, end in failure, but not why the divorces have to get so horrible and nasty.

I wonder if cheating and betrayal was involved?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Not necessarily. If prices fall by 1% this year after falling by 2% last year then the inflation rate has risen from -2% to -1%.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Not necessarily. If prices fall by 1% this year after falling by 2% last year then the inflation rate has risen from -2% to -1%.
    That's deflation

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,917
    geoffw said:

I think there are genuine efforts on the BBC and SKY to explain this.

Rather like opinion polls, there are the headline numbers and what the data is actually saying. "Core" inflation remains just above 5% with the fall this month led by declines in fuel prices which could, I suppose, be reversed if there were problems in the Red Sea or Persian Gulf or if the weather turned a lot colder.

I just wonder if the stubborn nature of UK inflation means interest rates may not come down as fast as some (Sunak and Hunt in particular) might want.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Anyway there's a happy conjunction today of both inflation and the price level falling
  • Options

For those wondering how Network North could be so badly communicated remember that the whole policy was put together quickly and quietly by a small crack team of Sunak and treasury loyalists because it was really, really important that no-one could possibly know that HS2 was being cancelled ahead of his key speech reveal......

I assumed that because of Sunak's smoking ban they didn't have the requisite back of a fag packet to draw it up on.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,743
    Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

But as well as prosecuting people for the non-existent shortfall, the Post OFFICE was demanding that shortfalls be made up under threat of prosecution.

Many, many more people paid money they didn’t owe, under threat of prosecution.

This extra money made the Post Office richer.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,187

I hear the Rwandan boat scheme has received HS2 funding; it's transport, and it's a compass direction ...
  • Options
    Taz said:

Good evening

I have just been listening to the verdict of the murder of 16 year old Brianna Ghey and words fail me

Apparently two teenagers, one a boy, the other a girl who was friends with Brianna and who Brianna trusted lured her to a park and stabbed her 28 times

It seems the killers had planned the murder as they wanted to experience what killing was like

Such utter evil is impossible to understand

RIP Brianna

From the brief bits of it I had followed had it not been her it would have been someone else.

Utterly awful.

Poor child, all her life ahead of her. snuffed out for no reason at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_and_Loeb

Same shit, different day…
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

That's deflation

It's de-deflation surely?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,448
    edited December 2023
    On inflation EDF have just e mailed me to fix my energy as price rises come in on the 1st January

However, some forecast a 14% fall in April which would be a substantial drop

I am remaining on a flexible contract for now

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/20/ofgem-energy-price-cap-to-fall-by-14-per-cent-in-april-says-forecaster?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

That's deflation

The inflation rate is defined as the % change in the price level over 12 months and can be a negative number.
    In any case, for the 12 month inflation rate to fall, you need the price change in a given month to be lower than the same month a year ago. If prices in November 2023 fall but prices in November 2022 fell by more then the inflation rate goes up even though prices have fallen. This kind of scenario is quite common owing to the seasonality in some price components.
  • Options

On inflation EDF have just e mailed me to fix my energy as price rises come in on the 1st January

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/20/ofgem-energy-price-cap-to-fall-by-14-per-cent-in-april-says-forecaster?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Energy prices have gone up 66% in the last two years.

If you or Sunak try and spin that 14% potential drop as a good thing you're in for a rude surprise.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

But as well as prosecuting people for the non-existent shortfall, the Post OFFICE was demanding that shortfalls be made up under threat of prosecution.

In fact it didn't, because the cost of the prosecutions considerably exceeded the money 'recouped' from the Subpostmasters.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

That's deflation

The inflation rate is defined as the % change in the price level over 12 months and can be a negative number.
    In any case, for the 12 month inflation rate to fall, you need the price change in a given month to be lower than the same month a year ago. If prices in November 2023 fall but prices in November 2022 fell by more then the inflation rate goes up even though prices have fallen. This kind of scenario is quite common owing to the seasonality in some price components.
    Since inflation is a blended rate isn't possible for some things to fall in price whilst others go up?
  • Options

Leon said:

I get that some marriages, sadly, end in failure, but not why the divorces have to get so horrible and nasty.

As far as I know, not in this case

Of course I am only getting his side of the story, but she has quite a reputation for volatile behaviour

She is also seriously well-known in posho/arty circles so I shall say no more
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,061

Leon said:

People can just be grim. My ex kept our dogs, one of them very much “mine”. After we split up she sent me a text to say he had been put down as he was sick. I sent her a delightful response questioning why she didn’t have the decency to let me say goodbye beforehand. She also blamed me for her not having children despite her being the one who didn’t want them when we were together so just never underestimate how batshit people get after a breakup.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Taz said:

Good evening

I have just been listening to the verdict of the murder of 16 year old Brianna Ghey and words fail me

Apparently two teenagers, one a boy, the other a girl who was friends with Brianna and who Brianna trusted lured her to a park and stabbed her 28 times

It seems the killers had planned the murder as they wanted to experience what killing was like

RIP Brianna

From the brief bits of it I had followed had it not been her it would have been someone else.

Utterly awful.

Never heard of that case before. Awful

Venables and Thompson too.
  • Options

If you or Sunak try and spin that 14% potential drop as a good thing you're in for a rude surprise.
    Does this mean CPI might be negative April 2024? Will Rishi put that in a tweet??
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,653

Good evening

RIP Brianna

Perhaps they are moral subjectivists, or perhaps emotivists? There's plenty around. Maybe they are students of David Hume;

"It is not contrary to reason to prefer the destruction of the whole world to the scratching of my finger."
  • Options
    I think I need to share this polling again.

When Rishi Sunak says he aims to halve inflation, British voters think he aims to get... (7 June)

Prices to decrease 47%
    Prices to increase more slowly 42%
    Don't know 11%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1667509473953316865
  • Options

Does this mean CPI might be negative April 2024? Will Rishi put that in a tweet??
    I am many things but being an economist isn't part of my polymath skillset.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,532
    To pick up on Big G's post:

Currently on the live chat to British Gas to close the account at my father's old place, which we've just sold.

Contemplating leaving them for my own energy because their service has, not I think deliberately but due to inept management, been mind-bendingly awful. Even the Ombudsman was pretty sharp with them in ruling against them on every single point.

I've been looking at Octopus. Anyone with them and are they any good?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Currently on the live chat to British Gas to close the account at my father's old place, which we've just sold.

Contemplating leaving them for my own energy because their service has, not I think deliberately but due to inept management, been mind-bendingly awful. Even the Ombudsman was pretty sharp with them in ruling against them on every single point.

Recently I learned that software Octopus use is called Kraken which makes me want to use them,

They have also sublicenced that software to Eon.
  • Options
    A

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

In fact it didn't, because the cost of the prosecutions considerably exceeded the money 'recouped' from the Subpostmasters.
    The total money “recouped” has not been added up IIRC. Just the money extracted as part of actual prosecutions. The former amount is much larger, I believe.

The suicides, divorces, family breakdowns etc were used as a weapon - a threat of what would happen if you didn’t pay.

https://youtu.be/3XGAmPRxV48?si=eRZYqH3piXJ8Z88U
  • Options

When Rishi Sunak says he aims to halve inflation, British voters think he aims to get... (7 June)

Prices to decrease 47%
    Don't know 11%

What happens when you weaponise ignorance and stupidity for votes...?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

Well, of course it's a good thing. Better to sell to the voters than a further rise of 14%.
  • Options

I am not spinning for Sunak or anyone else

I have no band width at present in arguing politics, and have long since accepted Starmer will be next PM and the Conservatives need time in opposition

The point is that why fix now if the energy price may fall in the spring

• Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Good evening

RIP Brianna

Utterly awful.

Never heard of that case before. Awful

Venables and Thompson too.

“How long do you want the messages to remain secret?”

“As long as men are capable of evil.”
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,679
    edited December 2023

Well, of course it's a good thing. Better to sell to the voters than a further rise of 14%.
    Today was my last day at work until the 8th of January, last thing I read was how gas and energy prices could spike in the next few weeks and month on a par with the Ukrainian war if things get messy in the Red Sea.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009
    ydoethur said:

I use Octopus. I'm happy with them.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

That's deflation

Since inflation is a blended rate isn't possible for some things to fall in price whilst others go up?
    Yes, the CPI is defined over a wide ranging basket of goods and services and every month the prices of some components go up and the prices of some go down. Individual prices are aggregated up to create various subcomponents, as well as the headline index.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I know.

Only if you want them to wave them on the inside....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,059

Prices to decrease 47%
    Don't know 11%

I don't know - I think it's partly the deliberate creation of ignorance and confusion: the cumulative effect of the Mr Sunaks of this world speaking as if inflation (without further qualification) is the absolute price of something, rather than its differential. It's impossible otherwise to make sense of what Mr Sunak says in view of how good he makes it sound. We see it all the time on PB,too, but our pet Tories get a rougher ride.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,042

They are also improving the Metropolitan Line service, in order to benefit Northwood, Northwood Hills, North Harrow and Northwick Park.
  • Options

A

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

The total money “recouped” has not been added up IIRC. Just the money extracted as part of actual prosecutions. The former amount is much larger, I believe.

The suicides, divorces, family breakdowns etc were used as a weapon - a threat of what would happen if you didn’t pay.

Correct, but it still amounts to a tiny amount the PO spent on prosecutions, defending Horizon, and trying to cover its own arse.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    DougSeal said:

I did this exact same commute for a while but from Dalston Junction on the original Routemaster. Living in London and paying £70 a week in rent. Probably the best years of my life.

It is odd because not much has changed physically to London over the last 20 years (with the exception of tall buildings being thrown up) but the sense of place has in many ways changed profoundly so it is impossible to find the place you knew.

This video of London from 1999 (and the comments on it) is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI04Dd3zzO8&t=2069s
  • Options
    Windows 11 is absolute trash.

Inconsistent UI experience? Too many design languages? Microsoft said let's introduce a fifth.

Yuck.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,569
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Yep:

I've commented on this in the past. The PO was making record profits on the back of a strange rise in Other Income, that was (bizarrely) also exactly the same size as the amounts they claimed were being stolen every year.

It makes the claim that pretty much any Post Master was stealing meaningful sums of money almost inconceivable.
    Of course. Although it would be equally wrong to assume that every balancing error was actually down to Horizon.

Counter clerks in crown offices have to balance at the end of every day, and experienced ones pride themselves on being able to do so every time. But new clerks regularly find they’re out, by small amounts one way or the other, usually due to a mistake made on one transaction, or a repeated mistake made when counting the cash up at the end of the day.

And of course we can’t assume that every subpostmaster was honest just because the PO wrongly accused so very many. Just helping yourself to the PO’s cash was always pretty dumb, and extremely rare. But ‘borrowing’ from the PO’s cash, usually to fund some sort of addiction, intending to pay it back and covering yourself meanwhile by over-declaring the cash, until either things spiral beyond the ability to repay, or a surprise audit team arrives and finds the SPSO significantly short on cash, while uncommon, wasn’t unknown.

The tragedy is that most innocent balancing mistakes tended to rectify themselves the following week, as miscounting one week would normally work itself through the week following. So honest sub-postmasters covered the discrepancy with their own cash, rather than bothering to recount everything again, expecting things to work out down the line. When they didn’t, some found themselves deeper and deeper in trouble, and the fact of covering their own misbalance back at the beginning both weakened their defence against a charge of ‘false accounting’, made it difficult for them to credibly blame Horizon since they hadn’t reported the original discrepancy, and created a sequence of events that, to the barely-trained PO investigators, looked suspiciously like someone trying to cover using the PO’s cash to cover off some other sort of debt.

Every individual case before the inquiry, whilst you can see the procedural weaknesses, it isn’t hard to see how and why things progressed as they did. The question is why no-one up the chain of command proved so unable to join any dots.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Prices to decrease 47%
    Don't know 11%

I don't know - I think it's partly the deliberate creation of ignorance and confusion: the cumulative effect of the Mr Sunaks of this world speaking as if inflation (without further qualification) is the absolute price of something, rather than its differential. It's impossible otherwise to make sense of what Mr Sunak says in view of how good he makes it sound. We see it all the time on PB,too, but our pet Tories get a rougher ride.
    They just put up taxes. Because they reduced the amount of the increase they're out selling it as a tax cut. Will be the same if energy prices fall back, or food prices.

An endless theme of mine is that most people are not as stupid as the Tories assume. They will try and claim that more is less, but most people not only will know that more is more, they won't Tory MPs / shills trying to con them by claiming that them paying more taxes / bills is them paying less.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Watford Gap?
    They are also planning to plug the gap.
  • Options

A

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

Correct, but it still amounts to a tiny amount the PO spent on prosecutions, defending Horizon, and trying to cover its own arse.
    Given the number of complete arses that are covering up, that must have been an expensive process.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,904

ydoethur said:

Recently I learned that software Octopus use is called Kraken which makes me want to use them,

They have also sublicenced that software to Eon.
    Krakens an increasingly important part of their business. A bit like Ocado having become a B2B technology company, it’s interesting how businesses evolve over time.
  • Options
    Not just in England that people 'delay' infrastructure projects to screw over Northerners:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67771630
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Of course I am only getting his side of the story, but she has quite a reputation for volatile behaviour

It’s good advice to try and find friends who are better than you.

That can present a challenge, but in your case it widens the pool so very considerably that I’d suggest it’s worth a shot.
  • Options

Inconsistent UI experience? Too many design languages? Microsoft said let's introduce a fifth.

Yuck.

Windows Phone should make a comeback.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

Given the number of complete arses that are covering up, that must have been an expensive process.
    Ca x Pi x r2

Where “r” is the average radius of the arses in question.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Watford Gap?

DougSeal said:

Watford Gap?
    Mind The Gap, Shirley?
  • Options
    More good news for the North

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes and yes. We have been with them for a few years, both for gas and electricity. We have had no problems at all.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,904
    On topic I think the Tories will hold Wellingborough. East Midlands is substantially more stickily conservative than the swingier North, the remainer South East or the disillusioned rural South West. And it’s a big majority. This could be Sunak’s gates of Vienna. Which will hopefully lull the Tories into a nice false sense of security.
  • Options
    Gosh, it's taken me a full hour to get through on the live chat, which is supposed to be quicker than ringing. Admittedly, it's nearly impossible to ring BG as they hide their phone number.
  • Options

Yuck.

What about Win Mobile 6?

The operating system that had people flashing their phones with customised versions in the hope of getting them to work. A bit.

HTC Titan II, I’m looking at you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A

Barnesian said:

Carnyx said:

Very.

The extraordinary thing is that it doesn't matter what level in the organisation you look at, you find extreme incompetence, ignorance, malice and dishonesty - sometimes bits of each, quite often all mixed in together. You see this in the front line troops employed as 'investigators', their managers, their in-house advisers, and of course, the Board.

The PO also seems to have engaged a hopeless bunch of legal advisers and consultants. No doubt the PO was shopping at the cheap end of the market. If so they got what they paid for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,211
    edited December 2023
    stodge said:

Late afternoon all :)

Wellingborough was the 115th safest Conservative seat at the last election and the numbers are very close to Selby & Ainsty in terms of swing.

The North Northamptonshire elections way back in 2021 produced a landslide for the Conservatives but the seats in Wellingborough were quite competitive then and two and a half years on you can see why Labour might fancy their chances. However, that optimism might be tempered by the even more staunchly parts of East Northamptonshire such as Rushden which are also in the Wellingborough Constituency.

Yes I expect a narrow Labour win given the current polls in Wellingborough and the usual by election protest vote
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Watford Gap?

DougSeal said:

Watford Gap?
    Mind The Gap, Shirley?
    I think they do Mind The Gap! It allows northerners to travel south. I also hear they would like to close the gap, so that the M1 becomes the M1/2, the A5 becomes the A2.5, the LNWR becomes LR and the Grand Union Canal becomes the Small Disunion Canal.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes and yes. We have been with them for a few years, both for gas and electricity. We have had no problems at all.

Also with Octopus, moved to them in October, from BG. Very impressed so far.

We are on their Cosy Plus variable tariff (as in varies through the day), which is saving us quite a bit versus the energy cap so far. (You need to have an ASHP and smart meter for Cosy Plus)

If you're definitely thinking of moving to Octopus get a friend who's already with them to send you the Introducer link - you get £50 and they get £50. (If you haven't got someone who can introduce you PM me - I can do it for you!)
  • Options

Yuck.

They were great. Miss them.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

We are on their Cosy Plus variable tariff (as in varies through the day), which is saving us quite a bit versus the energy cap so far. (You need to have an ASHP and smart meter for Cosy Plus)

If you're definitely thinking of moving to Octopus get a friend who's already with them to send you the Introducer link - you get £50 and they get £50. (If you haven't got someone who can introduce you PM me - I can do it for you!)
    I have a SMETS one meter so that's probably not feasible (unfortunately as it would save me a fortune). Thanks for your other offer, I'll certainly bear it in mind.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That can present a challenge, but in your case it widens the pool so very considerably that I’d suggest it’s worth a shot.
    LEAVE THE DOG ALONE, IAN
  • Options

Yuck.

They were great. Miss them.
    I put my phone through Windows once.

Not for any software reason, I was just bloody annoyed with it.
  • Options

G-MAOL?
    G-LMFAO!
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

LEAVE THE DOG ALONE, IAN
    He’s fine, thank you for asking

• Options
    viewcode said:

G-MAOL?
    G-LMFAO!
    Owned by Sloane Helicopters, no less.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I have a SMETS one meter so that's probably not feasible (unfortunately as it would save me a fortune). Thanks for your other offer, I'll certainly bear it in mind.
    With Cosy Plus we paid an average of 23.37p per kWh in October, versus the cap rate of 27.18p for the South West. Not a massive saving but worthwhile: c£380 pa given we are all electric and use about 10,000 kWh per annum for all our heating lighting and cooking.
  • Options
    On topic - Wellingborough is one of those BE that should be a Con opportunity. The mood is that this election is Lab's to lose but in reality that is a huge majority to have to overturn. Holding onto a 18,500 majority would be seen as a major achievement by the Govt (at least by most of the press and media). It should not be an impossible task.

OTOH the Lib Dems will not make a serious effort here. Tactical voting will be the order of the day. If the mood is anything like in Mid Beds then the Cons are headed for a hammering.

All that will be moot if Bone is the Con candidate. That would eliminate any chance of the Cons holding the seat. If one in ten of the electors there believe his denials then I would be amazed. MPs are generally not held in terribly high regard by the Great British public.
  • Options
    Further to the earlier discussion on internal threats to the US, here’s a Berkeley professor calling for an intifada in America. The focus on the far-right ignores the growing radicalisation of the left against western states.

https://x.com/shaidavidai/status/1737512500986290596
  • Options

Further to the earlier discussion on internal threats to the US, here’s a Berkeley professor calling for an intifada in America. The focus on the far-right ignores the growing radicalisation of the left against western states.

https://x.com/shaidavidai/status/1737512500986290596

Appropriate first name
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

https://octopus.energy/help-and-faqs/articles/what-happens-if-i-have-a-smart-meter/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

LEAVE THE DOG ALONE, IAN
    He’s fine, thank you for asking

GB/PB news caption - "Brave British dog threatened by rising tide of Woke extremism"
  • Options
    Not in her case. Isn't she coached by Rishi?

This discussion has been closed.