Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Low expectations – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Posjdwas

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,842

James Dyson loses libel claim against Daily Mirror publisher
    Inventor alleged article criticising his championing of Brexit and move to Singapore was ‘vicious and vitriolic’

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/dec/01/james-dyson-loses-libel-claim-daily-mirror-publisher

Good . It was a ridiculous claim .
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,433
    DougSeal said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

This sounds rather alarming.

"Venezuela to hold referendum on seizing part of Guyana — and its oil"

https://www.ft.com/content/a0ec9710-aa52-416b-ac79-8ada5cdab229

As a former British colony does this one require a detachment of HM armed forces to fly over and do a few exercises?

Rishi would love a nice South American military adventure to turn the polls.
    President Monroe is on the phone. Wants to chat about his doctrine.
    "Hi, we have some American missiles we are repatriating to the Americas. Comes free with a genuine British nuclear warhead. Should be with you in 30 mins. No, we don't leave packages under the doormat or with a neighbour."
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,282

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Can I just thank whoever it was that linked to the Pogues "And the band played waltzing Matilda" on the previous thread. A brilliant and deeply moving rendition.

McGowan was the real deal, not least a fantastic lyricist. Look at the lyrics to A Rainy Night in Soho, below - just beautiful poetry.

I've been loving you a long time
    Down all the years, down all the days
    And I've cried for all your troubles
    Smiled at your funny little ways

We watched our friends grow up together
    And we saw them as they fell
    Some of them fell into Heaven
    Some of them fell into Hell

I took shelter from a shower
    And I stepped into your arms
    On a rainy night in Soho
    The wind was whistling all its charms

I sang you all my sorrows
    You told me all your joys
    Whatever happened to that old song?
    To all those little girls and boys

Sometimes I'd wake up in the morning
    The ginger lady by my bed
    Covered in a cloak of silence
    I'd hear you talking in my head

I'm not singing for the future
    I'm not dreaming of the past
    I'm not talking of the first times
    I never think about the last

Now the song is nearly over
    We may never find out what it means
    Still there's a light I hold before me
    You're the measure of my dreams
    The measure of my dreams
    Superb. I especially like the penultimate verse.
    The last line of the song gets me every time. It is so beautifully opaque but also somehow freighted with meaning. It's probably my favourite line in any pop song.
    Talking of fabulous lyrics Roger Waters "Hanging on in Quiet desperation is the English way" is just magnificent.
    Dark Side of the Moon is often superb, lyrically - which is quite odd as Pink Floyd generally didn’t write superb lyrics. Frequently nice or decent but never outstanding

That whole album is touched with an inexplicable, alchemical and cruelly fleeting genius. But at least we got that album
    I find a lot of Waters lyrics from 73-84, Dark Side to the Final Cut, to be really moving and thought provoking

Interesting debate to be had about something I found out the other day; the lady who ‘sang’ The Great Gig in the Sky was awarded a songwriting credit for it thirty years after its release. She was told by the band to listen to the song, go into the studio and let herself go with whatever feelings it evoked. The results were legendary, but did she ‘write the song’? Apparently so. Maybe she did

She absolutely wrote half the song and deserves half the money

Rick Wright’s tune is simple and lovely but it’s her extemporised vocals which make it a masterpiece. I hope she got a million. The Floyd can certainly afford it
    “ In 2004, Torry sued Pink Floyd and EMI for songwriting royalties on the basis that her contribution to "The Great Gig in the Sky" constituted co-authorship with keyboardist Richard Wright. In 1973, as a session singer, she was paid only the standard flat fee of £30 for Sunday studio work (the equivalent of £400 in 2022).[9] She said in 1998, "If I'd known then what I know now, I would have done something about organising copyright or publishing."[3] In 2005, an out-of-court settlement was reached in Torry's favour, although the terms of the settlement were not disclosed.[14] All releases after 2005 carry an additional credit for "Vocal composition by Clare Torry"[15] in the "Great Gig in the Sky" segment of the booklet or liner notes.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Torry

I wonder how much she got. Funny that no one ever thought to offer her a credit at the time, although I can see why it’s a grey area. Apparently when she’d finished singing she thought she’d made a fool of herself and was embarrassed to see the band
    The sax player in Gerry Raffertey's Baker Street was just paid a flat fee for the session too afaicr.
    Didn’t he then sue, successfully - ditto the keyboardist on Whiter Shade of Pale?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

isam said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Can I just thank whoever it was that linked to the Pogues "And the band played waltzing Matilda" on the previous thread. A brilliant and deeply moving rendition.

McGowan was the real deal, not least a fantastic lyricist. Look at the lyrics to A Rainy Night in Soho, below - just beautiful poetry.

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams
    McGowan was a proper musical genius. But lyrically that’s not quite Cole Porter

“Fairytale” is much cleverer - probably the best Pogues song, lyrically
    Fairytale of New York may be cleverer with the duet structure etc but there's something buried in Rainy Night in Soho that gets me every time I listen to it. The lyrics have that kind of unknowable quality that I think is the mark of real poetry.
    “You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot
    Happy Christmas your arse I pray god it’s our last”

Is one of the greatest couplets in the history of pop music. It expresses true love and deep sentiment - as drunk loving ruined people really speak, with a clever rhyme scheme

I believe it has now been cancelled by the Woke
    I have spent years thinking it was "Happy Christmas you arse-wipe, thank god it’s our last"

A real-life mondegreen
    For around 30 years I believed, and was bemused, that in Quicksand Bowie sang "Knowledge comes from tax relief".

Eventually I googled it, and realised it was "death's release", which made more sense.
    Ah, misheard lyrics- one of the many minor joys the internet has stolen from us.
    Actually the problem still exists, a lot of the lyrics on the internet, particularly on Spotify, are wrong

I was going to link to ‘when the tigers broke free’ by Pink Floyd, but the lyrics are wrong almost everywhere; ‘Z’ instead of ‘C’ being the red flag.

There is a good misheard lyric on Spotify for Arctic Monkeys ‘No1 Party Anthem’

“Collar popped like antenna” is “like Cantona” and it fits so well with the rest of the song that a lot of people refuse to believe it is not about the footballer
    I was saddened when I learnt that the lyric 'Get a house in Devon / Drink cider from eleven' from Feeder's 'Buck Rogers' was in fact 'Get a house in Devon / Drink cider from a lemon'. My mishearing rhymes better and conveys nicely, I think, the sense of the lazy rural drinking session. The actual lyric - with its smutty yet obscure gynaecological allusion - is just a bit shit.
    When I listen to the repetitions of "Drink cider from a lemon" it seems to morph into "Drink cider from a melon". I keep thinking this even though I know it doesn't. I don't know what that says about me.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Britain to lead the world on climate reparations. Sunak implementing the people's priorities and showing global leadership.

Of course the article is not necessarily aligned with the headline but still.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/cop-uk-to-pay-compensation-to-poorer-countries-affected-by-climate-change/ar-AA1kO8L2?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=641d8f41213940baa0701e7aebac4f31&ei=9
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653

Andy_JS said:

New article by one of the best commentators out there imo. (He's British but this is an American magazine hence the spelling).

"Theodore Dalrymple
    A Specter Haunting Europe
    The political class’s impotence in the face of so much public anxiety makes fertile soil for extremism.

A specter is haunting Europe, and it is fascism. I don’t mean by this the insulting term that radical students have long hurled at anyone who disagreed with them in the slightest. I mean a brutal, violent mass movement that will not hesitate to intimidate, oppress, and kill in the name of a nation.

Geert Wilders is not a fascist, but if his electoral triumph in the Netherlands (relative, not absolute) does not result in genuinely assuaging the discontents of which his triumph is a symptom, it is not unlikely that at least some of his voters will become so disillusioned with, and frustrated by, normal politics that they will look elsewhere for a solution."

https://www.city-journal.org/article/fascism-haunts-europe

The article appears to be arguing that we have to be a bit fascist to stop more fascist fascists coming along. I am not persuaded.
    Alternatively,

2) Stick our fingers in our ears and scream LA-LA-LA
    3) Try some rational policies to alleviate actual problems. Like stop denying that a population growing at x% a decade needs x% growth in housing and other facilities. And actually fucking build them.
    (3) sounds great. (3) is not what Dalrymple is arguing for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,022
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

As a former British colony does this one require a detachment of HM armed forces to fly over and do a few exercises?

No, if countries decided to be independent nations and no longer under the British Crown they can defend themselves.

British taxpayers don't need to do it!
    It would be a betrayal of the late Queen's legacy not to intervene. Are you a traditional Conservative or not?

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

Guyana rejected the late Queen when they became a Republic in 1970.

So tough, they are on their own unless the UN intervene
    You'd send a tank division to Glasgow - why not spare a frigate for Guyana?

What on earth do the Venezuelans have on you?!
    Guyana is not part of the UK, unlike Scotland nor is the King its head of state, unlike Scotland.

Its security is not our problem now, it is for the UN to sort out and our only role in relation to it would be through the UN
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,478
    edited December 2023

Andy_JS said:

New article by one of the best commentators out there imo. (He's British but this is an American magazine hence the spelling).

"Theodore Dalrymple
    The political class’s impotence in the face of so much public anxiety makes fertile soil for extremism.

A specter is haunting Europe, and it is fascism. I don’t mean by this the insulting term that radical students have long hurled at anyone who disagreed with them in the slightest. I mean a brutal, violent mass movement that will not hesitate to intimidate, oppress, and kill in the name of a nation.

Geert Wilders is not a fascist, but if his electoral triumph in the Netherlands (relative, not absolute) does not result in genuinely assuaging the discontents of which his triumph is a symptom, it is not unlikely that at least some of his voters will become so disillusioned with, and frustrated by, normal politics that they will look elsewhere for a solution."

The article appears to be arguing that we have to be a bit fascist to stop more fascist fascists coming along. I am not persuaded.
    Alternatively,

3) Try some rational policies to alleviate actual problems. Like stop denying that a population growing at x% a decade needs x% growth in housing and other facilities. And actually fucking build them.
    Housing Theory Of Everything strikes again.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

I'm not arguing for what Dalrymple may or may not be arguing for.

From reading the article, he is saying that, unless *something* is done, the swing to more extreme views will continue.

EDIT: 3) isn't so great when it will come to the actual solutions. "But a road through there will ruin my favourite little woodland". Answer - "For societies sake, we are gong to have to fuck up your woodland. Man up and fuck off."
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams
    The last line of the song gets me every time. It is so beautifully opaque but also somehow freighted with meaning. It's probably my favourite line in any pop song.
    Talking of fabulous lyrics Roger Waters "Hanging on in Quiet desperation is the English way" is just magnificent.
    Dark Side of the Moon is often superb, lyrically - which is quite odd as Pink Floyd generally didn’t write superb lyrics. Frequently nice or decent but never outstanding

That whole album is touched with an inexplicable, alchemical and cruelly fleeting genius. But at least we got that album
    I find a lot of Waters lyrics from 73-84, Dark Side to the Final Cut, to be really moving and thought provoking

Interesting debate to be had about something I found out the other day; the lady who ‘sang’ The Great Gig in the Sky was awarded a songwriting credit for it thirty years after its release. She was told by the band to listen to the song, go into the studio and let herself go with whatever feelings it evoked. The results were legendary, but did she ‘write the song’? Apparently so. Maybe she did

Rick Wright’s tune is simple and lovely but it’s her extemporised vocals which make it a masterpiece. I hope she got a million. The Floyd can certainly afford it
    “ In 2004, Torry sued Pink Floyd and EMI for songwriting royalties on the basis that her contribution to "The Great Gig in the Sky" constituted co-authorship with keyboardist Richard Wright. In 1973, as a session singer, she was paid only the standard flat fee of £30 for Sunday studio work (the equivalent of £400 in 2022).[9] She said in 1998, "If I'd known then what I know now, I would have done something about organising copyright or publishing."[3] In 2005, an out-of-court settlement was reached in Torry's favour, although the terms of the settlement were not disclosed.[14] All releases after 2005 carry an additional credit for "Vocal composition by Clare Torry"[15] in the "Great Gig in the Sky" segment of the booklet or liner notes.”

I wonder how much she got. Funny that no one ever thought to offer her a credit at the time, although I can see why it’s a grey area. Apparently when she’d finished singing she thought she’d made a fool of herself and was embarrassed to see the band
    The sax player in Gerry Raffertey's Baker Street was just paid a flat fee for the session too afaicr.
    Didn’t he then sue, successfully - ditto the keyboardist on Whiter Shade of Pale?
    Bet Bob Holness wouldn't have sued.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,629
    DougSeal said:

Ghedebrav said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

FPT

isam said:

Apparently your Christmas song is

No 1 at Christmas when you were 10 sang by the last artist you listened to in your phone

Do They Know it’s Christmas by The Smiths was mine

DAY TRIPPER/WE CAN WORK IT OUT by Luciano pavarotti for me

apart from the fact this quiz reveals how old everyone is (not important but a lot of quizzes are designed to trick you into revealing details of yourself. I half suspect mine actually exists

DON'T YOU WANT ME - by the Sundays..
    Haha, mine would be Bohemian Rhapsody performed by The Pogues.
    Do They Know its Christmas performed by Chris Cornell
    Mull of Kintyre - dance mix by Plastikman
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Why are so many people going 'private' on their profile? I'm not keen. It means you can't access their back catalogue or audit them in any way. That's the practical objection. And there's the principle of it. We're slipping into a two tier community, the average joes like me, still just about the majority, and these other posters who are kind of VIPs, behind the ropes, who you get glimpses of but can't really mix with.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

We should just go full on Fash for the ROFLCOPTER bantz

I do wonder what the Guardian would do if we had an ACTUAL Fascist government in power, rather than this milksop bunch of posho social democrats - presiding over maximum immigration, high tax, high spend, Woke education, etc

Because they have already exhausted their lexicon of Fash-hatred labeling anything the government does, like maybe try and deport one single immigrant, as basically Nazi, what would they say if the government literally deported two million?

This time they’re Nazi, and we mean it!

It’s like when gymnastics judges at the Olympics started awarding perfect tens, there was nowhere further to go, even when a superior performer came along
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams

Though Alvin [Stardust] could clearly sing, as his great live performances proved, it was Peter’s voice on that first record–fairly standard industry practice at the time. We cut the record late in 1973, just weeks after having set up the company.
    Lord Levy. A Question of Honour .

Another example from that time would be the Rubettes, who were a bunch of session musicians hired to demo a song for Showaddywaddy, who turned it down, so the session musicians formed into the Rubettes but with a different singer from the one on the demo which was released as the single. Unusually, the new singer re-recorded the vocal for Top of the Pops.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Captions please.

Guy kneeling: Ok, listen up students. This is a very rare specimen, probably the last example we'll ever see - at least in our lifetimes - of the Conservative PM. See how it tries to bluster sincerity by reaching for where it hopes we'll believe a heart might be? Get a quick sketch of the main features before it's too late.
    If the economy is poor under a Labour government the swingback to the Conservative Opposition would be swift
    I'm naturally assuming that our lifetimes will be short due to one or more of:
    • The horrors of a Labour government
    • AI-apocalypse
    • Nuclear winter
    • The commonplace pneumonia doing the rounds in China and now DENMARK
    Remember in the May 2010 general election Brown Labour got just 29% of the vote, not much different to where the Sunak Tories are polling now. 2010 was also 13 years into a Labour government as we are now 13 years into a Tory government.

However within a year, by May 2011 Ed Miliband's Labour was on 41% with Yougov and 38% with Opinium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

If voters don't feel a new government is doing much for them and the economy isn't great they can swiftly turn against it

Voters can indeed swiftly turn against a new government. However, your example of how Labour recovered quickly under Miliband isn't a particularly convincing one, because a lot of it came from Lib Dems who didn't like Clegg jumping into bed with the Tories, and in any case the recovery had petered out by 2015.

On the last three occasions when there was a change from a party which had secured a long string of general of Government following a long series of general election victories, in each case the incoming party won a second term (1964, 1997, 2010). Although admittedly none of those governments were left to deal with anything approaching the utter meltdown that Sunak will bequeath.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

DougSeal said:

Meanwhile, in "Conservatives Losing" news, the latest dispatch from London;

The “Good Samaritan” who returned a lost Oyster card to Tory mayoral candidate Susan Hall has told how delighted she was to be reunited with her free travel pass...

Shortly after the incident, on Monday afternoon, Ms Hall’s spokesman said she believed she had been pickpocketed on the Tube as she travelled home from Westminster to Pinner, first on the Jubilee line and then the Metropolitan line, which she switched on to at Finchley Road.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/susan-hall-lost-oyster-card-tube-tory-mayoral-good-samaritan-b1123916.html

Who still uses an Oyster Card?
    People who would rather TfL gets the money than a bank?
    Suspect cost of administering Oyster is more than transaction fees from contactless.

The main reason is that there are certain products that are only available on Oyster, such as weekly travelcards, railcards, zip cards, etc.
    Er, are you sure? Contactless will automatically administer the lowest price won't it?

Nobody uses Oyster anymore – what is the point of it? It's like cash, credit 'cards' and landline phones – obsolete.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Dalrymple is an old hand at discerning why the world as we know it is coming to an end. Treat same as Zero Hedge. He needs to spend more time with people who are buying socks for their family members for Christmas, and stop disliking the human race so much.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Well thanks to a bunch of important people having their meeting about the environment, some of us have been stuck in traffic for half the day! Finally beer o’clock though, so cheers! 🍻
  • Options

DougSeal said:

The “Good Samaritan” who returned a lost Oyster card to Tory mayoral candidate Susan Hall has told how delighted she was to be reunited with her free travel pass...

Shortly after the incident, on Monday afternoon, Ms Hall’s spokesman said she believed she had been pickpocketed on the Tube as she travelled home from Westminster to Pinner, first on the Jubilee line and then the Metropolitan line, which she switched on to at Finchley Road.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/susan-hall-lost-oyster-card-tube-tory-mayoral-good-samaritan-b1123916.html

Suspect cost of administering Oyster is more than transaction fees from contactless.

The main reason is that there are certain products that are only available on Oyster, such as weekly travelcards, railcards, zip cards, etc.
    Er, are you sure? Contactless will automatically administer the lowest price won't it?

Nobody uses Oyster anymore – what is the point of it? It's like cash, credit 'cards' and landline phones – obsolete.
    You missed the Tory Party! [satire]
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

DougSeal said:

Except everyone who has a season ticket, an over 60 pass or an under 16/18 Zip card
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

I do wonder what the Guardian would do if we had an ACTUAL Fascist government in power, rather than this milksop bunch of posho social democrats - presiding over maximum immigration, high tax, high spend, Woke education, etc

Because they have already exhausted their lexicon of Fash-hatred labeling anything the government does, like maybe try and deport one single immigrant, as basically Nazi, what would they say if the government literally deported two million?

It’s like when gymnastics judges at the Olympics started awarding perfect tens, there was nowhere further to go, even when a superior performer came along
    Gymnastics gets round this problem by changing what it calls the "code of points" which defines how many points (down to a tenth) each move is worth. The same code of points is also used to ban moves that are thought dangerous, like the dismount that paralysed Elena Mukhina, and the Korbut flip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYPcdj_wn4
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

No, if countries decided to be independent nations and no longer under the British Crown they can defend themselves.

It would be a betrayal of the late Queen's legacy not to intervene. Are you a traditional Conservative or not?

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

Guyana is not part of the UK, unlike Scotland nor is the King its head of state, unlike Scotland.

Its security is not our problem now, it is for the UN to sort out and our only role in relation to it would be through the UN
    Referring things to the UN is the international equivalent of setting up an interdepartmental committee. I expect there's a Yes (Prime) Minister quote along those lines.

Maintaining energy supplies, and providing allies and friends around the world both have value.

A frigate, by the way, would be of only marginal use and would be seen - rightly - by Venezuela as merely a token gesture of support which could easily be ignored. 400 troops on the ground providing 'training' would be a different matter - particularly if augmented with Americans. It's not about the difference those troops could make; it's about what might come afterwards.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Captions please.

Guy kneeling: Ok, listen up students. This is a very rare specimen, probably the last example we'll ever see - at least in our lifetimes - of the Conservative PM. See how it tries to bluster sincerity by reaching for where it hopes we'll believe a heart might be? Get a quick sketch of the main features before it's too late.
    If the economy is poor under a Labour government the swingback to the Conservative Opposition would be swift
    • AI-apocalypse
    • Nuclear winter
    Remember in the May 2010 general election Brown Labour got just 29% of the vote, not much different to where the Sunak Tories are polling now. 2010 was also 13 years into a Labour government as we are now 13 years into a Tory government.

However within a year, by May 2011 Ed Miliband's Labour was on 41% with Yougov and 38% with Opinium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

If voters don't feel a new government is doing much for them and the economy isn't great they can swiftly turn against it

Voters can indeed swiftly turn against a new government. However, your example of how Labour recovered quickly under Miliband isn't a particularly convincing one, because a lot of it came from Lib Dems who didn't like Clegg jumping into bed with the Tories, and in any case the recovery had petered out by 2015.

On the last three occasions when there was a change from a party which had secured a long string of general of Government following a long series of general election victories, in each case the incoming party won a second term (1964, 1997, 2010). Although admittedly none of those governments were left to deal with anything approaching the utter meltdown that Sunak will bequeath.
    ReformUK is on 10% with Yougov today. So if they got that high a voteshare in the next election plenty of their votes for a new more rightwing Opposition Tory leader to squeeze too.

It should also be pointed out that post 1997 was a rarity in the government generally being ahead in polls still for a sustained period, Starmer is no Blair and the economy is not as good as it was then either
  • Options
    Why do people live in…. Manchester?

*shudder*
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams

Though Alvin [Stardust] could clearly sing, as his great live performances proved, it was Peter’s voice on that first record–fairly standard industry practice at the time. We cut the record late in 1973, just weeks after having set up the company.

Another example from that time would be the Rubettes, who were a bunch of session musicians hired to demo a song for Showaddywaddy, who turned it down, so the session musicians formed into the Rubettes but with a different singer from the one on the demo which was released as the single. Unusually, the new singer re-recorded the vocal for Top of the Pops.
    The singer was the Rubettes USP though. Few could sing as high as he could and still hold the tune.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

You missed the Tory Party! [satire]
    :D Dang!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

Referring things to the UN is the international equivalent of setting up an interdepartmental committee. I expect there's a Yes (Prime) Minister quote along those lines.

Maintaining energy supplies, and providing allies and friends around the world both have value.

A frigate, by the way, would be of only marginal use and would be seen - rightly - by Venezuela as merely a token gesture of support which could easily be ignored. 400 troops on the ground providing 'training' would be a different matter - particularly if augmented with Americans. It's not about the difference those troops could make; it's about what might come afterwards.
    The poison pill approach, which I wonder might've worked in Ukraine.
  • Options
    eek said:

DougSeal said:

Except everyone who has a season ticket, an over 60 pass or an under 16/18 Zip card
    Freedom Passes aren't Oyster Cards are they? They are Freedom Passes.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/freedom-pass#on-this-page-1
  • Options
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Captions please.

• AI-apocalypse
    • Nuclear winter

Relax. I'm not (and was never) seriously suggesting that Sunak will be the last Conservative PM of our lifetimes.

Afterall, there's a non-zero* chance of another Conservative PM within the next year or so :wink:

(And yes, electoral cycles etc - unless the Cons go full tonto and either split or the LDs find a great leader/new party is set up and actually works this time,** the Cons will be back in power well within a timescale that I very much hope will be within my lifetime. The only way it might not happen would be under PR where the inevitable splits of parties would produce a new leading centre-right party that was not the Conservative Party.

*although very small, I think
    **these are even more vanishingly small, particularly the last
    Another possibility is that even under FPTP (but even more so, PR), the Tories take such a beating at the polls that Reform out-competes them and replaces them on the right.

That's also unlikely. The Tories have very considerable institutional strength in voter perceptions as the leading right-of-centre party, with elected officials all over then place, well beyond Westminster, while Reform have just about none. A reverse takeover is much more likely than an outright replacement. Even so, it's not impossible and has happened elsewhere.
  • Options

eek said:

DougSeal said:

But there's the 60+ oyster like what I have. The FP is different, I think?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

The UK needs to shake off this national neurosis about doing things with the USA.

If getting militarily involved in a South American border dispute is a worthy idea (it's not) then it shouldn't matter what the US does.

Still, Ukraine has fizzled out to a boring and narrow territorial gain for Russia but maybe the Operación Militar Especial will work out brilliantly.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    nico679 said:

James Dyson loses libel claim against Daily Mirror publisher
    Inventor alleged article criticising his championing of Brexit and move to Singapore was ‘vicious and vitriolic’

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/dec/01/james-dyson-loses-libel-claim-daily-mirror-publisher

Good . It was a ridiculous claim .
    Bit like Elon's 'Disney are blackmailing me with money'.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

The UK needs to shake off this national neurosis about doing things with the USA.

If getting militarily involved in a South American border dispute is a worthy idea (it's not) then it shouldn't matter what the US does.

Still, Ukraine has fizzled out to a boring and narrow territorial gain for Russia but maybe the Operación Militar Especial will work out brilliantly.
    Actually, on Le TwiX Russia is claiming some significant offensive gains all of a sudden, even as Zelenskyy talks about a new period of the war requiring fortification….

Could be nothing. Probably is nothing. Don’t get overexcited. Just sayin
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Dalrymple is an old hand at discerning why the world as we know it is coming to an end. Treat same as Zero Hedge. He needs to spend more time with people who are buying socks for their family members for Christmas, and stop disliking the human race so much.
    That's my main problem with these 'new reactionary right' pundits. So many of them seem to be consumed by a meanness of spirit. Even if they write well and their stuff now and again has an interesting take, you never feel better for having read it.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

What the US does matters because the US is taken more seriously because it has more power. And generally, doing things in consultation with and the support of allies is a good thing and helps to reinforce mutual interests.

I completely agree that the UK shouldn't get dragged into America's adventures merely because the US has decided on something - but that's quite different from genuine joint action.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

It really is ridiculous. The way the modern economy and society is set up 60s are probably the decade with the most disposable cash. Why are we giving them free travel? Move it up to 75+.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Fair enough, there are probably some exceptions. But for the vast majority, they are obsolete – they are literally pointless clutter, like cash, and landline phones.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    On the COVID-19 Inquiry, there is a schedule of hearings that goes through 2024/5 and, possibly, into 2026. If anyone feels there's a topic that hasn't been covered, there's a helluva lot more to come.

We're still on module 2. 6 modules have been announced and there may be more.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    AlistairM said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams
    McGowan was a proper musical genius. But lyrically that’s not quite Cole Porter

“Fairytale” is much cleverer - probably the best Pogues song, lyrically
    Fairytale of New York may be cleverer with the duet structure etc but there's something buried in Rainy Night in Soho that gets me every time I listen to it. The lyrics have that kind of unknowable quality that I think is the mark of real poetry.
    “You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot
    Happy Christmas your arse I pray god it’s our last”

Is one of the greatest couplets in the history of pop music. It expresses true love and deep sentiment - as drunk loving ruined people really speak, with a clever rhyme scheme

I believe it has now been cancelled by the Woke
    I have spent years thinking it was "Happy Christmas you arse-wipe, thank god it’s our last"

A real-life mondegreen
    For around 30 years I believed, and was bemused, that in Quicksand Bowie sang "Knowledge comes from tax relief".

Eventually I googled it, and realised it was "death's release", which made more sense.
    Ah, misheard lyrics- one of the many minor joys the internet has stolen from us.
    Actually the problem still exists, a lot of the lyrics on the internet, particularly on Spotify, are wrong

I was going to link to ‘when the tigers broke free’ by Pink Floyd, but the lyrics are wrong almost everywhere; ‘Z’ instead of ‘C’ being the red flag.

There is a good misheard lyric on Spotify for Arctic Monkeys ‘No1 Party Anthem’

“Collar popped like antenna” is “like Cantona” and it fits so well with the rest of the song that a lot of people refuse to believe it is not about the footballer
    I was saddened when I learnt that the lyric 'Get a house in Devon / Drink cider from eleven' from Feeder's 'Buck Rogers' was in fact 'Get a house in Devon / Drink cider from a lemon'. My mishearing rhymes better and conveys nicely, I think, the sense of the lazy rural drinking session. The actual lyric - with its smutty yet obscure gynaecological allusion - is just a bit shit.
    When I listen to the repetitions of "Drink cider from a lemon" it seems to morph into "Drink cider from a melon". I keep thinking this even though I know it doesn't. I don't know what that says about me.
    You want a larger serving ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

If we had an actual fascist government, what The Guardian would do is close down.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

It really is ridiculous. The way the modern economy and society is set up 60s are probably the decade with the most disposable cash. Why are we giving them free travel? Move it up to 75+.
    There's certainly a case for that.. Although as I said upthread I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,648

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

It was originally a dispute with Britain over the border with British Guiana.

Sunak could send a taskforce and get his Falklands moment.
    Why? Guyana is now an independent state not a British overseas territory
    Depends on whether Guyana requests assistance. Preventing another war breaking out might be a good thing. Perhaps the US could be persuaded to chip in a few troops and deter any Venzuealan nonsense. Proactive deployment would have a helpful deterrence effect.
    It’s been a while since the US had a good jungle-based war to get its teeth into. The heartrending war movies have rather dried up.

“Guyana. You don’t understand man. You weren’t there”.
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

If we had an actual fascist government, what The Guardian would do is close down.
    Don’t tempt me
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Why is it always fascism?

As an aside, I used to have friends with a coprophilic dog. You knew what it wanted and it knew you knew as it edged itself before walkies.
  • Options

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Captions please.

• AI-apocalypse
    • Nuclear winter

Relax. I'm not (and was never) seriously suggesting that Sunak will be the last Conservative PM of our lifetimes.

Afterall, there's a non-zero* chance of another Conservative PM within the next year or so :wink:

(And yes, electoral cycles etc - unless the Cons go full tonto and either split or the LDs find a great leader/new party is set up and actually works this time,** the Cons will be back in power well within a timescale that I very much hope will be within my lifetime. The only way it might not happen would be under PR where the inevitable splits of parties would produce a new leading centre-right party that was not the Conservative Party.

*although very small, I think
    **these are even more vanishingly small, particularly the last
    Another possibility is that even under FPTP (but even more so, PR), the Tories take such a beating at the polls that Reform out-competes them and replaces them on the right.

That's also unlikely. The Tories have very considerable institutional strength in voter perceptions as the leading right-of-centre party, with elected officials all over then place, well beyond Westminster, while Reform have just about none. A reverse takeover is much more likely than an outright replacement. Even so, it's not impossible and has happened elsewhere.
    It happened in Canada (with today's Canadian Conservatives effectively a takeover by the Canadian Reform Party of the Canadian Tories). However it came about only after Reform beat the Canadian Tories in 1993 on both votes and seats and no evidence yet Reform is overtaking the Sunak Tories (though Farage's party might have beaten May's Tories had Boris not taken over and it still not delivered Brexit in 2019).

If we had PR of course Reform and the Tories could win seats and be in coalition as populist right and centre right parties are in Italy or New Zealand or Sweden and Spain with PR
  • Options
    The Economist worries that the Uke war is lost

https://econ.trib.al/oxHsXPm
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

Actually, on Le TwiX Russia is claiming some significant offensive gains all of a sudden, even as Zelenskyy talks about a new period of the war requiring fortification….

Stop trying to bring morale down.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    3 wins for my Party from 3 By Elections in the last 3 weeks

All in SKS Back Yard

https://news.camden.gov.uk/highgate-by-election-result/

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

The UK won't do anything militarily without UN approval or certainly without being under US leadership outside of British overseas territories now and that has been the case since Suez.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams

The singer was the Rubettes USP though. Few could sing as high as he could and still hold the tune.
    My mates Dad was in The Rubettes, and now his son, my mate, is a world famous DJ
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

We have election in Moscow next week.

The president said any loss of life is unacceptable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

🎵Rule Britannia🎵

Given Putin's original aim was to capture Kyiv and remove Zelensky he is still way short of that
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Misheard lyrics… misheard dialogue. Silly me

I always thought Wayne was saying “High coup” here… didn’t make sense but I let it go. The only time I’d heard of a Haiku was on here

https://youtu.be/MNcSKUQPjTg?si=c1bkVHEV6M0XRqdf
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

There's certainly a case for that.. Although as I said upthread I really appreciate it.
    But why you rather than a mum in her 30s renting an overcrowded flat with a commute?

Of course everyone appreciates a bit of free cash, but society should have good reasons when it re-allocates cash. In the words of the left this is regressive not progressive.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

I think 60+ is just London, isn't it? Elsewhere, you get a free bus pass (not free travel) at state pension age - 66 in my case.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

All in SKS Back Yard

Once was due to the resignation of Sian Berry, former leader of the party and twice mayoral candidate, to become parliamentary candidate for Brighton. If you can't win the seat of your former leader and arguably most prominent politician in London, where can you win? She's not even going to win in Brighton anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

That's my main problem with these 'new reactionary right' pundits. So many of them seem to be consumed by a meanness of spirit. Even if they write well and their stuff now and again has an interesting take, you never feel better for having read it.
    In this case, he is right that either something is done, or the more people will move to er.. non traditional politics.

We are looking at a serious possibility of a Le Pen presidency. And the AfD winning significant political power in the near future…

The problem is that doing something of the rational sort means violently upsetting a whole swathe of people who are dedicated to the process of not doing much while spending the earth.
  • Options
    Totals of council seats changing hands in principal authority council by-elections since May:
    Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Indeed Leon. I actually agree with you here. That's the big danger with constant '4th gear in the car park' hyperbolising. Eg it's how I feel about 95% of "freedom of speech!" chuntering. Come the day (god forbid) that free speech in the UK is really under serious threat we'll be hampered in fighting it because people have already gone and shot their bolt.
  • Options

Totals of council seats changing hands in principal authority council by-elections since May:
    Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

Though a lot of voters who will vote LD or Green locally will vote Labour nationally under FPTP where they are the main alternative to the Tories in their parliamentary constituency
  • Options

Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

Your data suggests maybe you should ditch the Green Tories and join the LDs?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,674
    edited December 2023
    "Trevor Phillips calls Omid Scobie's allegations about 'racist royals' 'nonsense', says every family of colour discusses a baby's skin colour"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12813625/trevor-phillips-omid-scobie-racist-royals-allegation-nonsense-race-row-dutch-endgame.html
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

But why you rather than a mum in her 30s renting an overcrowded flat with a commute?

Of course everyone appreciates a bit of free cash, but society should have good reasons when it re-allocates cash. In the words of the left this is regressive not progressive.
    Ok yes. But I get a buzz out of my 60+ oyster that I wouldn't get from (say) the government gifting me the equivalent value in cash. So say the benefit to me is £1000 per annum, based on how much I use it, I'd actually rather pay double that in extra tax and keep my perk rather than lose it. Therefore it's an efficient benefit (assuming others feel as I do).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Hyufd and Dura are right that any sort of war between Guyana and Venezuela isn't our fight.
  • Options

Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

SKS fans please explain.
  • Options

All in SKS Back Yard

That's my ward! We are in SKS's constituency, although we're moving to a different constituency at the next general. It's a Green hold, but I was surprised at the scale of the Green victory. We're a 3-member ward, which has returned 1 Green and 2 Labour at the last four all-up local elections. Siân Berry (Green) topped the vote in 2022 and 2018, but it seemed telling that she had no coattails and couldn't get a second/third Green councillor elected.

In 2022, the second best performing Green in the ward was Lorna Russell (coming fifth overall), who had originally been elected in 2018 for Labour (in a different ward). I think the Greens had been very hopeful she would be elected, given her high profile, but it was not to be.

Earlier this year, Berry was selected as the Parliamentary candidate for Brighton, to replace the Green's only MP, Caroline Lucas. Berry has thus been spending all her time in Brighton, not London. After some months of criticism, she decided to relinquish her Council seat (although she's retained her London Assembly seat, but of course that pays well). Russell stood again and there was extensive campaigning by both Labour and Greens, although I got leaflets from the Conservatives and LibDems too. The Greens seemed most active to me, including some classic dodgy leaflets (the one that looks like an official election announcement from the Council but isn't, and the one with a dodgy poll).

In the end, Russell stormed home, getting nearly double the Labour vote. So, why was that? More campaigning? Greens doing better on the much lower by-election turnout? One message the Greens ran on is that control of the Council wasn't in play and isn't it good to have one Green on the Council. It does seem like the ward likes having a Green councillor, even if they're not bothered about having more than one. (They managed 2 out of 3 in 2006, that was their high-water mark.)

Of course, to get a vote in the Council chamber, you need a proposer and a seconder, so there's a limit to what a sole councillor can do. The Council remains 46 Labour to 5 Liberal Democrats, 3 Conservative and 1 Green.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,216

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

At least I wouldn't keep being told "you have only one of your 30 free Guardian articles left until 15th December".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Trevor Phillips calls Omid Scobie's allegations about 'racist royals' 'nonsense', says every family of colour discusses a baby's skin colour"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12813625/trevor-phillips-omid-scobie-racist-royals-allegation-nonsense-race-row-dutch-endgame.html

Blimey, sounds like News at Ten must have been hyper active in the phone bugging scandal.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Ok yes. But I get a buzz out of my 60+ oyster that I wouldn't get from (say) the government gifting me the equivalent value in cash. So say the benefit to me is £1000 per annum, based on how much I use it, I'd actually rather pay double that in extra tax and keep my perk rather than lose it. Therefore it's an efficient benefit (assuming others feel as I do).
    Only if we charged over 60s extra tax to double that value, which we don't. Whereas sixties is also the decade we stop charging them NI.....so errr, no.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Andy_JS said:

And of course Archie is 6th in line to the throne now anyway
  • Options
    isam said:

Misheard lyrics… misheard dialogue. Silly me

I always thought Wayne was saying “High coup” here… didn’t make sense but I let it go. The only time I’d heard of a Haiku was on here

https://youtu.be/MNcSKUQPjTg?si=c1bkVHEV6M0XRqdf

When in London, do as I do
    Find yourself a friendly haiku
    Go to sleep for ten or fifteen years
  • Options

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

In this case, he is right that either something is done, or the more people will move to er.. non traditional politics.

We are looking at a serious possibility of a Le Pen presidency. And the AfD winning significant political power in the near future…

The problem is that doing something of the rational sort means violently upsetting a whole swathe of people who are dedicated to the process of not doing much while spending the earth.
    Ok, but we'd best leave it there since I sense the 'build lots of houses' exchange coming, and that's one we've had so often that it kind of 'exists' in its own right.
  • Options
    I’m in a Bangkok gogo bar doing intersectional reseatch for a university and it’s full of couples watching the topless (and sometims naked) girls gyrate in the swimming pool bit and it’s full of COUPLES

Not just couples. Indian couples. Rich Indians. Weird
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

It was originally a dispute with Britain over the border with British Guiana.

Sunak could send a taskforce and get his Falklands moment.
    Why? Guyana is now an independent state not a British overseas territory
    Depends on whether Guyana requests assistance. Preventing another war breaking out might be a good thing. Perhaps the US could be persuaded to chip in a few troops and deter any Venzuealan nonsense. Proactive deployment would have a helpful deterrence effect.
    It’s been a while since the US had a good jungle-based war to get its teeth into. The heartrending war movies have rather dried up.

“Guyana. You don’t understand man. You weren’t there”.
    - "Hey Telford! What was *your* chicken-shit outfit doing while we were taking Grenada?"
    - "Grenada. Five minutes of firefights, five weeks of surfing!"
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Cookie said:

I go out each Christmas with some friends for a Christmas meal.
    This year, we're going to a vegetarian restaurant. It's supposed to be nice. But everything on the menu sounds like a side order. Vegetables aren't a meal, they're things you have with a meal.

Had a very nice mushroom pie with chips in my local last night.
    We have vegan friends staying this weekend and we are cooking them a mushroom and butternut squash risotto. I love meat but am happy to eat vegetarian and vegan if it is well cooked.
    Butternut squash - hmm, not my favourite!

True story, when I worked at the MRC Labs at Mill Hill (London) about 15 years back, the staff canteen, for a time, had veggie options that always contained butternut squash: butternut squash curry, butternut squash pasta, butternut squash quiche... you get the picture!
    Actually, I'll partially take back what I said - I do actively like roast butternut squash.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Only if we charged over 60s extra tax to double that value, which we don't. Whereas sixties is also the decade we stop charging them NI.....so errr, no.
    What I mean is I'm getting something that costs £1000 which I value at far more than that. It's efficient in that sense.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

All in SKS Back Yard

Once was due to the resignation of Sian Berry, former leader of the party and twice mayoral candidate, to become parliamentary candidate for Brighton. If you can't win the seat of your former leader and arguably most prominent politician in London, where can you win? She's not even going to win in Brighton anyway.
    She won with a 2% margin yesterdays election was won by a 30% lead on a 14% swing Lab to Green
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Ok, but we'd best leave it there since I sense the 'build lots of houses' exchange coming, and that's one we've had so often that it kind of 'exists' in its own right.
    We could have fun with schools, instead.

Riddle me this, Batman - why is it that constructing a new school costs more per sqm than building luxury basements under large houses in the fashionable bits of Chelsea?
  • Options
    The afternoon session at the PO inquiry has just started. This could be interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cCorGR8hU
  • Options

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Is right-wing politics the new Communism?
  • Options

Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

No mate it is you thats switched from Blue Tory to Red Tory

I have switched from Red Democratic Socialist to Green Democratic Socialist and SKS Party has switched from Lab to Red Tory
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

SKS fans please explain.
    Lib Dems view local by-elections as sport; Labour views them as business?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Indeed Leon. I actually agree with you here. That's the big danger with constant '4th gear in the car park' hyperbolising. Eg it's how I feel about 95% of "freedom of speech!" chuntering. Come the day (god forbid) that free speech in the UK is really under serious threat we'll be hampered in fighting it because people have already gone and shot their bolt.
    Free speech in the UK is not just under threat, it's dead, at least in the old sense. David Starkey lost his jobs because he said racist things, Steve Bell lost his job because of an antisemitic cartoon. One woman this week got a documentary cancelled because she sucked a Nazi lollipop (that's not an euphemism). It happens so often I put down the #PBfreespeech hashtag to try to keep track. The only time anybody complains about free speech is if somebody says something anti-trans and people on Twitter says bad things. Other than that it's cancel, cancel, cancel all the way.

Somebody said satire died when Kissinger got the Peace Prize. UK free speech died when somebody was punished for saying something mean about the dead Captain Tom, and nobody (except one guy in the Spectator - Stephen Daisley?) kicked off. We are not the country we pretend to be.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

DougSeal said:

All in SKS Back Yard

She won with a 2% margin yesterdays election was won by a 30% lead on a 14% swing Lab to Green
    "Green candidate retains Green seat shocka". Still, if it furthers your fantasy of getting the Tories back in just so you can say "SKS Fans Please Explain", then good on you. Political purity is more important than f**king the country after all.
  • Options

Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

I have switched from Red Democratic Socialist to Green Democratic Socialist and SKS Party has switched from Lab to Red Tory
    But in your list the LDs are +16, whereas your GTs only +4.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

What I mean is I'm getting something that costs £1000 which I value at far more than that. It's efficient in that sense.
    The 30 something renting working Mum is giving you cash you don't need which she does. Glad you value it, but its still bonkers that society has set it up this way.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams

My mates Dad was in The Rubettes, and now his son, my mate, is a world famous DJ
    Really? That's genuinely something. I used to know the drummer in T'Pau but you can't really dine out on that. Nor could he, in fact. He was always moaning about the money, saying "it was all about Carol".
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

SKS fans please explain.
    Lib Dems view local by-elections as sport; Labour views them as business?
    Lib Dems view local by-elections as a sport in much the same way Bill Shankly viewed football as a sport.
  • Options

Con -17
    Lab 0
    LD +16
    Gr +4
    SNP -4
    Ind +1

But in your list the LDs are +16, whereas your GTs only +4.
    So what? Of the 3 Tory alternatives Yellow Tory are slightly less bad that Blue or Red Tory

Your point is what?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m in a Bangkok gogo bar doing intersectional reseatch for a university and it’s full of couples watching the topless (and sometims naked) girls gyrate in the swimming pool bit and it’s full of COUPLES

Not just couples. Indian couples. Rich Indians. Weird

Have they ditched the masks in Thailand?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    edited December 2023

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

"Something must be done" is not a policy. As is the custom of the Dalrymple tendency no fresh clue whatever is given about what a civilised society might do about the fact that uncivilised, criminal and wicked behaviour happens. He indirectly salivates a bit about the fascist tendency, without endorsing it, and leaves it there.

His approach is in fact, mutatis mutandis, much closer to the general editorial face of the Guardian than he realises. That is: the world is full of really bad stuff, it certainly isn't my fault so it must be someone else's, let's spread some blame around. Take your pick. Why O Why.....

BTW we have a supposedly ultra right government in Italy. They are finding governing reality slightly tougher than opposition rhetoric.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Free speech in the UK is not just under threat, it's dead, at least in the old sense. David Starkey lost his jobs because he said racist things, Steve Bell lost his job because of an antisemitic cartoon. One woman this week got a documentary cancelled because she sucked a Nazi lollipop (that's not an euphemism). It happens so often I put down the #PBfreespeech hashtag to try to keep track. The only time anybody complains about free speech is if somebody says something anti-trans and people on Twitter says bad things. Other than that it's cancel, cancel, cancel all the way.

Somebody said satire died when Kissinger got the Peace Prize. UK free speech died when somebody was punished for saying something mean about the dead Captain Tom, and nobody (except one guy in the Spectator - Stephen Daisley?) kicked off. We are not the country we pretend to be.
    Shhhhh. The frog is gently simmering.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

"Something must be done" is not a policy. As is the custom of the Dalrymple tendency no fresh clue whatever is given about what a civilised society might do about the fact that uncivilised, criminal and wicked behaviour happens. He indirectly salivates a bit about the fascist tendency, without endorsing it, and leaves it there.

His approach is in fact, mutatis mutandis, much closer to the general editorial face of the Guardian than he realises. That is: the world is full of really bad stuff, it certainly isn't my fault so it must be someone else's, let's spread some blame around. Take your pick. Why O Why.....

BTW we have a supposedly ultra right government in Italy. They are finding governing reality slightly tougher than opposition rhetoric.
    Very often, the people who identify problems are different from the people who come up with good solutions.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Leon said:

The Economist worries that the Uke war is lost

https://econ.trib.al/oxHsXPm

That seems overly pessimistic to me on several fronts (no pun intended). What is clear is that it is Russia that is back on the offensive everywhere except the Dnipro river crossing and even there there seems to be a counterattack. The confident assertions that Russia was going to run out of men, shells, artillery and missiles have all proved to be false.

The American style war focusing on the opponents logistics has also failed to blunt the attacks. Instead Ukraine seem to be switching to hitting more targets within Russia itself, trying to bring home to Russians the price of war. This does seem to have had an effect on the polling but they are not fighting a democracy or anything like one.

I am not sure how long it can go on like this. Sooner rather than later one or perhaps both sides will simply be exhausted. It is by no means a given that Ukraine will be first to reach that point but it may well be possible.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Dalrymple's point is that the government in Italy will not change much. But the voters wanted change. So....

The point of representative democratic politics is to come up with policies that satisfy the people while not breaking other things.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The question I'm not seeing being asked (other than obliquely) is cui bono? Whose interests is it in to slag off the king and Kate? I don't think you need to be Poirot to work that one out, even if you didn't know the friendships of the author.

Similarly, you have to ask 'is it credible?'. Well, anyone can say something stupid or offensive, whatever else they've done (or not done), especially in private, possibly as a joke. Even so, Charles chose to involve himself deeply in the work of the Princes Trust, to gain understandings of non-Christian religions and in plenty else which takes him to ethnic minorities. He's also - AFAIK - never been revealed to have made any comment about Harry's distinctively ginger colouring, which makes the likelihood of him making disparaging comments about Harry's own child all the less.

Anyway, Harry and Meghan can only carry on trading on an increasingly distant and brief past for so long. Give it 10 years and the Wales's children will be becoming adults and William may be king.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple

Alternatively,

Very often, the people who identify problems are different from the people who come up with good solutions.
    It's not like he's done something amazingly clever in identifying the problem. Wilders' win was headline news around the world.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

The 30 something renting working Mum is giving you cash you don't need which she does. Glad you value it, but its still bonkers that society has set it up this way.
    I'm not really disagreeing with you, I'm making a slightly different point. Eg yes I'd vote to stop the benefit, I'd have to if it was a straight reductive choice, keep or scrap, but I'd rather pay extra tax to the value of more than the benefit and keep it. It's a benefit that has more value to me than it costs to provide. That's a 'good' benefit. There aren't many like that, so it'd be a shame to lose it. Better to change the tax regime, get more in from folk like me, and let me keep my lovely 60+ oyster.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

On a rainy night in Soho

The measure of my dreams

I heard a story that they were in Decca studios or wherever and this woman was just passing or had just recorded something and was minding her own business and they nabbed her and said can you please do this.

And I think I heard that on the Danny Baker show must be decades ago now where they interviewed her although my memory is a bit fuzzy.
This discussion has been closed.