Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Huge blow for Sunak as Supreme Court flings out his Rwanda plan – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited November 2023 in General
imageHuge blow for Sunak as Supreme Court flings out his Rwanda plan – politicalbetting.com

In my view this was almost inevitable and Sunak showed his naivety by pushing it so far.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First.
  • Options
    Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m
    💥👀 So,,,c60 MPs in Commonsense/New Cons group + another 20 MPs would back leaving ECHR

Asked a v senior former cab min if, in the event of the PM deciding not to pursue leaving ECHR (if emergency law fail) whether he’d face a confidence vote, they said: “That’s very plausible”
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Last time I recall a PM making a sudden announcement, such as this coming at 16.45, was Ted Heath in January 1974, calling a General Election on who ruled the country. That went well!!!!! Is Sunak going to repeat the same mistake. If so, presumably it would have been cleared at Cabinet yesterday
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Plan B: Mozambique....
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m
    💥👀 So,,,c60 MPs in Commonsense/New Cons group + another 20 MPs would back leaving ECHR

Asked a v senior former cab min if, in the event of the PM deciding not to pursue leaving ECHR (if emergency law fail) whether he’d face a confidence vote, they said: “That’s very plausible”

FPT: There's a neat symmetry of completely out of touchness with reality between the Tory right "just ignore the law and send them on the planes anyway" and the Labour left "tell Israel to stop attacking Hamas and let them keep their tunnels"
  • Options
    theakes said:

Last time I recall a PM making a sudden announcement, such as this coming at 16.45, was Ted Heath in January 1974, calling a General Election on who ruled the country. That went well!!!!! Is Sunak going to repeat the same mistake. If so, presumably it would have been cleared at Cabinet yesterday

I just put £1 on 100/1 for GE by year end.

V v v tight but...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Plan B: Mozambique....

I suspect that a group of European countries end up getting together to agree on a solution, and withdraw themselves from whatever international agreements are necessary to make it happen.

Almost every major country in Europe now has a hardline anti-immigration party gaining significant ground.
  • Options
    theakes said:

"Dave, would you like to be Foreign Sec for three days?"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    Can anyone really suggest that Suella hasn't done Rishi up like a kipper?

If he'd kept her on, she'd be the one having to defend this mess. She'd probably end up resigning and blaming him, but it wouldn't be nearly as damaging - she'd still be the right wing moaner who never actually did anything.

By sacking her and provoking the letter, she's explained how he prevented the necessary parts of the bill before an audience of millions, predicted what will happen, and lo, it has happened. He's calling an emergency press conference - he should resign. Perhaps he will, and make Cameron the caretaker PM?
  • Options
    GE would take place on 21 December if parliament were dissolved tomorrow. I can’t see it!
  • Options
    TimS said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m

FPT: There's a neat symmetry of completely out of touchness with reality between the Tory right "just ignore the law and send them on the planes anyway" and the Labour left "tell Israel to stop attacking Hamas and let them keep their tunnels"
    And both make those saying it feel better about themselves but change nothing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited November 2023
    Surely not another one.

• Options

GE would take place on 21 December if parliament were dissolved tomorrow. I can’t see it!

Nah, not happening. Now, if some other legislation gets rushed through Parliament, and also thrown out by the courts in time for a May election…
  • Options
    Rishi wouldn't have appointed Cleverly as Home Sec and Cameron as Foreign Sec if he'd been planning to ignore the ruling.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    One thing that is clear from the Braverman letter is that the Home Secretary herself, who was previously Attorney General (so the government's legal advisor) knew that the Rwanda policy was a huge legal risk, and advised the government of this.

It was always a bad policy because as well as being inhumane, to work it required fundamental constitutional changes including withdrawing from the European Convention on Human Rights and making exceptions in our domestic human rights laws ('notwithstanding clauses') which would have targeted and excluded the most vulnerable, which the courts would have been very wary indeed of.

Because (as Braverman's letter very obviously points out) even this government was not willing to remove protection for the most vulnerable refugees, and rightly so, the policy was built on the shakiest of foundations, and was therefore a bad policy. Even the deterrence 'benefit' was very sketchy and unevidenced.

Don't let the government spin that it was the courts' fault the policy failed - it was a bad policy and the government never grappled with its potential unlawfulness.

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1724736538523697397
  • Options
    Rishi says he's considering changing UK law to allow Rwanda to go ahead. Not sure how that works, but the more interesting thing - unless I've missed it - is the silence of Cleverly. Has he said anything yet?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Rishi says he's considering changing UK law to allow Rwanda to go ahead. Not sure how that works, but the more interesting thing - unless I've missed it - is the silence of Cleverly. Has he said anything yet?

I think he's going to make a statement in the House after PMQs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

One thing that is clear from the Braverman letter is that the Home Secretary herself, who was previously Attorney General (so the government's legal advisor) knew that the Rwanda policy was a huge legal risk, and advised the government of this.

It was always a bad policy because as well as being inhumane, to work it required fundamental constitutional changes including withdrawing from the European Convention on Human Rights and making exceptions in our domestic human rights laws ('notwithstanding clauses') which would have targeted and excluded the most vulnerable, which the courts would have been very wary indeed of.

Because (as Braverman's letter very obviously points out) even this government was not willing to remove protection for the most vulnerable refugees, and rightly so, the policy was built on the shakiest of foundations, and was therefore a bad policy. Even the deterrence 'benefit' was very sketchy and unevidenced.

Don't let the government spin that it was the courts' fault the policy failed - it was a bad policy and the government never grappled with its potential unlawfulness.

Note the Court said Rwanda is “a state which, in very recent times, has instigated political killings, and has led British police to warn Rwandan nationals living in Britain of credible plans to kill them on the part of that state”.

We were basically proposing to outsource our asylum claims processing to Rwanda - without setting aside existing protections in UK, not international law.

The ECHR brouhaha is a Tory headbanger distraction - though it's possible some of them are stupid enough to believe it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    FPT
    nico679 said:

» show previous quotes
    So you’d rather have the US model then ?

I would prefer to have the Court of Session as it was always the top Scottish court rather than the fake English made up Supreme Court to gerrymander Scottish cases personally.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    If Sunak is pivoting Camwards to save Blue Wall seats this Ruling could help him. Just drop the whole stupid idea and move on.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    FPT

This excellent judgement from the SC is good news all round. It has the following effects:

It shows that Braverman pursued a policy that broke the government's own laws, as well as being deranged to anyone with a moral compass.

It enables Sunak (if he has any sense) to say that the idea was OK but implementation is impossible so let's think of other ways to appease the ultra right.

Most important it enables Starmer to say that whatever anyone's views might be on sending refugees to North Korea or Gaza or indeed anywhere, we need to move on from this unlawful Tory scheme and scapegoat someone else for a change (possibly Etonians) and get migrants picking the soft fruit that benefits junkies can't be bothered to do.

Finally, it comes just in time for Christmas so that more than 30 (see the judgement) impecunious barristers will be able to buy shoes for their children and gruel for the table to celebrate, toasting the taxpayer in water as they do so. God bless them every one.
  • Options

theakes said:

"Dave, would you like to be Foreign Sec for three days?"
    For money Cameron would jump at it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Note the Court said Rwanda is “a state which, in very recent times, has instigated political killings, and has led British police to warn Rwandan nationals living in Britain of credible plans to kill them on the part of that state”.

We were basically proposing to outsource our asylum claims processing to Rwanda - without setting aside existing protections in UK, not international law.

The ECHR brouhaha is a Tory headbanger distraction - though it's possible some of them are stupid enough to believe it.
    I have been puzzled as to the selection of Rwanda. Nothing against the country, but why there especially? Even within Africa it seems an unusual choice.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m

You would be hard pushed to find a brain between either of teh two parties, cheeks of the same arse and only skill is enhancing their own wealth.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    FPT
    Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

If the Government is looking for a workaround, the trick is to ensure that they are intercepted by Royal Navy ships before they hit UK dry land/shore. That way they never fall under UK jurisdiction and the SC writ doesn't hold sway to ships at sea.

Does it? British law still applies to British flagged vessels in territorial waters. Suranne Jones had to solve that murder on a submarine.

It's not like the glory days of the RN when the Admiralty used to wait for low tide at Wapping to hang larrikins in the intertidal zone beyond landlubber law.

The UK should pay Wagner to intercept them on Russian flagged vessels, house the fugees on clapped out cruise ships then sail them off to who-gives-a-fuck-where.
    DAMMIT! The Court Martial Appeal Court is under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court (dafuq??), so you can't bypass them. I could argue that if any offence by a warfighter committed outside the jurisdiction of the UKSC is not liable to the UKSC, but I assume the UKSC would not like that argument :(

I had a whole fictional process going on in my head. It was magnificent. And now it's worthless. Curse Blair and his constitutional hippy-dippyness. :(

[EDIT; can't we create a separate Supreme Military Court? Just a little one? It worked so well in Starship Troopers: what could possibly go wrong? :) ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_Martial_Appeal_Court
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I have been puzzled as to the selection of Rwanda. Nothing against the country, but why there especially? Even within Africa it seems an unusual choice.
    Braverman's next plan: Gaza, North Korea, Sudan
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    kinabalu said:

I was hoping the SC wouldn't do this because we will now get a whole bunch of 'lefty woke blob stopping what the people want' ranting and that's one of my most unfavourite things in this world, having to listen to that.

Dominic Cummings has dubbed the ECHR the "Paedo & Terrorist Defence Act".
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 783
    edited November 2023
    First mention of 'fanboy' in the House of Commons, according to Hansard. Was previously used in the Lords in regards to her late Majesty the Queen.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I was hoping the SC wouldn't do this because we will now get a whole bunch of 'lefty woke blob stopping what the people want' ranting and that's one of my most unfavourite things in this world, having to listen to that.

Assuming you are British and live in the UK (always a chancy assumption for PB, but I digress) the ECHR also defends you, William. Judge Dredd is fiction.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

First mention of 'fanboy' in the House of Commons, according to Hansard. Was previously used in the Lords in regards to her late Majesty the Queen.

Surely she was a fangirl ?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542
    PMQs quite entertaining. Sunak is obsessed with an ex-Labour MP called Corbyn.

Also, according to Sunak: "the cost of living is the number one priority for countries up and down the family".
    That's a novel take.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,657
    India 397/4 from 50 overs.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Shubman Gill has faced only 66 deliveries. Must be the fewest for a not out opener at the end of an ODI innings, probably ever.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Watching PMQs, hard to believe the government has any grasp on the current reality
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Unpopular said:

Surely she was a fangirl ?
    Haha, quite! Lord Purvis of Tweed was in fact quoting from an American publication referring to her ability to transform 'the most powerful man on the planet into an overexcited fanboy'.
  • Options
    I’m going to stick some money on the Black Caps.
  • Options
    Shubman Gill coming back from the dead (well, from the retired hurt), to bat the last over. 398 the target for the Kiwis.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341

kinabalu said:

I sometimes wonder if any of these people have read it. That’s my go to - challenge them to read and tell me what they disagree with.

The court itself does so some silly things, but I can see a consensus about that forming in Europe, and they could always be made to focus on the actual convention and stop trying to expand it.

None of which impacts on Rwanda one jot, where court decision would still be made under any sensible set of human rights principles in British law.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    kinabalu said:

If Sunak is pivoting Camwards to save Blue Wall seats this Ruling could help him. Just drop the whole stupid idea and move on.

Pretend to keep it alive before burying it in an unmarked grave on a busy news day.
  • Options
    Sunak's remarks on Rwanda / possible new legislation at the start of PMQs sounded very panicky.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Name that member and suspend them for six months. Who was it?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Rwanda has been seeking to rebuild an economy, with lots of manufacturing being invited in.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I'm sure they think highly of him too, William.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    I’m no fan of the Rwanda plan. But what I do like about it – and what many of its critics seem not to recognise – is its recognition that huge numbers of immigrants arriving daily is a problem which needs to be addressed in some way. If not this, then what? More of the same – even better funded more of the same – is not an answer, because we don’t actually deport anyone – so either we just fill our countryside with detention centres or unprocessed immigrants just seep into the country and remain under the radar indefinitely.
    There certainly isn’t an answer which is both a good answer and a nice answer. (Though of course that doesn’t mean that an answer such as Rwanda which is neither good nor nice must therefore be the right answer).
    I haven’t yet seen an answer to the problem better than @rcs1000’s Switzerland solution.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m

So, Labour - not Rwanda. But what?

Is there any alternative on offer?
  • Options

The rest of us will bet on the home side then, thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    PMQs difficult for Starmer today. Facing the most rank of long hops, but too much choice on where to dispatch the ball.

Needs to open with a long silence, an eye roll and a deep sigh. Then “where do I start?”
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited November 2023
    Surely it's clear now that whatever legislation is passed the Supreme Court will rule Rwanda illegal due to "international treaty obligations" - ie not just ECHR.

So whatever the Government does, it can't happen.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think countries were clamouring to take boat people crossing the English channel. Presumably all the other countries you would have regarded as a better choice had the good sense to say no.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I’m no fan of the Rwanda plan. But what I do like about it – and what many of its critics seem not to recognise – is its recognition that huge numbers of immigrants arriving daily is a problem which needs to be addressed in some way. If not this, then what? More of the same – even better funded more of the same – is not an answer, because we don’t actually deport anyone – so either we just fill our countryside with detention centres or unprocessed immigrants just seep into the country and remain under the radar indefinitely.
    There certainly isn’t an answer which is both a good answer and a nice answer. (Though of course that doesn’t mean that an answer such as Rwanda which is neither good nor nice must therefore be the right answer).
    I haven’t yet seen an answer to the problem better than @rcs1000’s Switzerland solution.

Form then into an army, conquer France, and let them have a farm each there as a reward.

Used to work for the Romans.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    That image is quite the mise-en-scène. Somebody going to a Halloween party as Owen Jones. Sunak experiencing low key satisfaction as a single mother in Leeds is forced to go on the game. Or, as Rishi prefers to think of it, "becoming economically active". Finally, an A320 on short finals.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

There's no short term fix, Cookie. If there had been, it would have been fixed by now.

That is no excuse though for devising hare-brained schemes which are as impractical as they are unlawful.
  • Options

TimS said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m

Yvette Cooper has been pretty clear on this and consistent. Focus on crime, coordination with France and speeding up processing. Their policies may not (will not) eliminate the issue but they have a better chance than the Rwanda fantasy.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Cookie said:

I assume you don't actually mean "huge number of immigrants arriving daily", as while that is true the vast majority of them are arriving with work or student visas at the government's behest.
    I guess you're talking about asylum seekers?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Can anyone explain Betfair inconsistency:

Con Maj 13

Con Seat Losses:
    None (or gains) 140
    1-50 losses 32

The None and 1-50 Losses combined cover more outcomes - ie 315+ seats rather than 326+ seats but at much longer odds.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m

Yvette Cooper has been pretty clear on this and consistent. Focus on crime, coordination with France and speeding up processing. Their policies may not (will not) eliminate the issue but they have a better chance than the Rwanda fantasy.
    An interesting wrinkle is that the PM’s deal with France is quite a good one, but won’t come into effect until Labour (probably) takes power.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

TimS said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    6m

Some sort of out of EU rekindling of a type of Dublin Regulation.

Presumably that sort of thinking is why Lord Cameron is FS.
  • Options
    TimS said:

PMQs difficult for Starmer today. Facing the most rank of long hops, but too much choice on where to dispatch the ball.

Needs to open with a long silence, an eye roll and a deep sigh. Then “where do I start?”

Just realised it’s already happened and I missed it. A bit underwhelming.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201

Watching PMQs, hard to believe the government has any grasp on the current reality

I once batted in a 20 over match (not very high level) with an inexperienced partner. I took the first ball for a single and then watch him fail to get it off the square for the remaining 5 balls. Next over, the same. Next over, the same. By 10 overs we were 10-0. I ran him out...
  • Options
    I made that point this morning when Heathener was frotagging themselves senseless over that poll.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Can anyone explain Betfair inconsistency:

Con Maj 13

Con Seat Losses:
    None (or gains) 140
    1-50 losses 32

The None and 1-50 Losses combined cover more outcomes - ie 315+ seats rather than 326+ seats but at much longer odds.

Heh. Thanks. I think I just helped several on here move the market…
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599
    edited November 2023
    Bill Cash has aged.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

A confluence of factors. It is a young and rapidly-expanding economy, surprisingly prosperous. It dealt with its internal tensions via vicious mass murder and is now stable. It's capable of processing international refugees, willing to do so and thanks to its geography (it's landlocked and high-up) escape is difficult.

In short, it's one of the few countries that were legally trustworthy and able and willing to do so. I would have gone for the Western Sahara but I am stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwanda
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG0ecfs4ArU
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited November 2023
    Just look at question 4.

Risk disorder!

• Options
    God, this government is appalling. I might just have to step away from politics now until after Christmas. The utter state of the Tory Party and the country is just too depressing right now, and we have in all likelihood 11 more months of this.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

Just look at question 4.

Risk disorder!

Conflates Remembrance Day with the entire weekend. And the march was not on RD, pace what a number of Tory media outlets and PBTories thought or liked to imply.

Naughty.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Of course there are no answers in any conventional sense. Something has to give. Where?

One area of possibility is this: The rights of refugees in practice varies according to where to can get to. If you land in country X (poor and war torn) your prospects are rather grey. If you land in Westernrich country, your rights and prospects are greater. Cox's Bazaar and a hotel room in UK are very different.

The Refugee Convention could simply create a level playing field. Asylum claims can be made, but all seeker's rights are identical: a tent in a desert and 3 UN supplied meals a day and transport home the moment the precipitating crisis ends.

A further convention charges the UN with the duty to create conditions in states from which people are fleeing conducive to their return.

No, I don't like it either, but it would concentrate minds.
  • Options

God, this government is appalling. I might just have to step away from politics now until after Christmas. The utter state of the Tory Party and the country is just too depressing right now, and we have in all likelihood 11 more months of this.

Just noticed an Advent Calendar of wine bottles (small ones admittedly). Very tempting to get one, or the single malt equivalent, just to get through one month.
  • Options

I made that point this morning when Heathener was frotagging themselves senseless over that poll.
    I think you have made the point a few times
  • Options

Just look at question 4.

Risk disorder!

Support for the march 20% vs The march should go ahead 18%
    Opposition to the march 43% vs The march should be banned 48%

So more people want the march to be banned than oppose it....surely there are some who oppose the march but value the right to protest?

And who are the supporters of the march who don't think it should go ahead?
  • Options
    Good day BigG! Hope you are better.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

I once batted in a 20 over match (not very high level) with an inexperienced partner. I took the first ball for a single and then watch him fail to get it off the square for the remaining 5 balls. Next over, the same. Next over, the same. By 10 overs we were 10-0. I ran him out...
    Was your batting partner called Geoffrey Boycott?
  • Options
    Cleverly is a decent Commons performer. Were he to actually deliver some red meat, whilst speaking like an adult, he must have a decent shot at LoTO.
  • Options

Are you Nasser Hussain?
  • Options
    "Rishi Sunak says he could tear up UK's ties to Europe's human rights laws to revive Rwanda plan"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12752487/Rishi-Sunak-Rwanda-human-rights-laws-Supreme-Court-Channel-Boats-Suella-Braverman.html
  • Options
    biggles said:

Cleverly is a decent Commons performer. Were he to actually deliver some red meat, whilst speaking like an adult, he must have a decent shot at LoTO.

I've bet on him. Held two big offices of state. Can run on competence and steady rebuild from the collapse post 2025 etc.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

Of course there are no answers in any conventional sense. Something has to give. Where?

One area of possibility is this: The rights of refugees in practice varies according to where to can get to. If you land in country X (poor and war torn) your prospects are rather grey. If you land in Westernrich country, your rights and prospects are greater. Cox's Bazaar and a hotel room in UK are very different.

The Refugee Convention could simply create a level playing field. Asylum claims can be made, but all seeker's rights are identical: a tent in a desert and 3 UN supplied meals a day and transport home the moment the precipitating crisis ends.

A further convention charges the UN with the duty to create conditions in states from which people are fleeing conducive to their return.

This would take the absolute worst aspects of refugee experience around the world and apply them everywhere. The most miserable existences, some of which people are born into and live their entire lives, are in those fly-blown tented refugee camps on the borders of warzones. Take the Sahrawis, there for decades, or the Kakuma camp and several others in the Kenyan desert, or the camps housing thousands of Syrians in Jordan. These are refugees from largely intractable disputes who may never return, yet they are stuck in a sort of economically inactive limbo. Surely better to try to phase out this type of camp, where the refugees have no meaningful prospect of integration into the host country. Integration should be an option, after a period (say 2 years), and if neighbouring host countries can't afford this they should be funded by richer countries to do so.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Just look at question 4.

Risk disorder!

Conflates Remembrance Day with the entire weekend. And the march was not on RD, pace what a number of Tory media outlets and PBTories thought or liked to imply.

Naughty.
    Well, sort of. The Palestine March was on Remembrance Day if that is used as a synonym for Armistice Day. It was, of course, the day before Remembrance Sunday.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Good day BigG! Hope you are better.
    Thank you and more positive despite being under 3 different consultants

It looks as if my issues can be treated medically, and without surgery, but as a family we are so grateful for all our blessings

Indeed my issues pale into insignificance when we look at Gaza and Ukraine
  • Options
    viewcode said:

MikeL said:

Surely it's clear now that whatever legislation is passed the Supreme Court will rule Rwanda illegal due to "international treaty obligations" - ie not just ECHR.

So whatever the Government does, it can't happen.

Be honest. That's not going to stop them trying. They prefer to blame the Blob, Lefties, Woke, wave their arms about, anything rather than come to terms with the fact that the law doesn't allow them to do what they want to and if they want to get around that then they will have to change the law.

The problem isn't partisan politics, its the fact that the modern Conservative Party doesn't know how to do things. It expelled its brains, Truss exposed the obsolescence of its thought, and now it's moping around the house like a teenager screaming "BUT WHYYYYYY?".

Will somebody please kick this shower out of office so it can regroup and do its adulting? Nobody gains from this. Right-wing voters in the UK are being represented by fools.
    Your last point is a good one. I'm not a right winger but if I were I'd be embarrassed by the thought that these muppets represented my strain of political opinion.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

FPT

Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

If the Government is looking for a workaround, the trick is to ensure that they are intercepted by Royal Navy ships before they hit UK dry land/shore. That way they never fall under UK jurisdiction and the SC writ doesn't hold sway to ships at sea.

Does it? British law still applies to British flagged vessels in territorial waters. Suranne Jones had to solve that murder on a submarine.

It's not like the glory days of the RN when the Admiralty used to wait for low tide at Wapping to hang larrikins in the intertidal zone beyond landlubber law.

The UK should pay Wagner to intercept them on Russian flagged vessels, house the fugees on clapped out cruise ships then sail them off to who-gives-a-fuck-where.
    DAMMIT! The Court Martial Appeal Court is under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court (dafuq??), so you can't bypass them. I could argue that if any offence by a warfighter committed outside the jurisdiction of the UKSC is not liable to the UKSC, but I assume the UKSC would not like that argument :(

I had a whole fictional process going on in my head. It was magnificent. And now it's worthless. Curse Blair and his constitutional hippy-dippyness. :(

[EDIT; can't we create a separate Supreme Military Court? Just a little one? It worked so well in Starship Troopers: what could possibly go wrong? :) ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_Martial_Appeal_Court
    Oddly enough I was just reading about an appeal of some kind from a court martial in 1811 which ended up in the Privy Council or at least the AG and Solicitor-General.

(BTW being a Naval one, it hinged on exactly how to define an actual act of sodomy, so one does wonder how they reacted to that.)
  • Options
    Yvette needs to speak slower.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    So, an honesty thing:

I went for a swim today, and found that the leisure centre's chip-and-pin system was not working. As I did not have cash on me, they let me swim for free, as long as I paid double next time I come. They did not debit any account, or take any note of my entry.

I will, of course, mention this on Friday when I next swim. But how many people would not?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Rishi Sunak says he could tear up UK's ties to Europe's human rights laws to revive Rwanda plan"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12752487/Rishi-Sunak-Rwanda-human-rights-laws-Supreme-Court-Channel-Boats-Suella-Braverman.html

The danger for the centre and left (and centre-right) here is that Rishi and his backbenchers can shift the Overton window on issues like this even while losing badly. I don't think it's enough for Labour to focus only on practicalities or plans being unworkable. If they want to avoid the ECHR question becoming some kind of national inevitability then they need to protect the taboo. Same applies to a number of other social and human rights policies.

My fear is that Labour in power, never knowingly un-authoritarian, is not necessarily going to be the best protector here. Sooner or later there will be an inconvenient legal case that makes them start to flirt with the same options.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

This whinging that there is no alternative answer being offered is silly. As you say at the end Switzerland have a solution. We could copy it, whinge, do nothing, or try and do something both ineffective and illegal. I say copy it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The word is 'could' but listening to Cleverly I do not think it will be necessary

If I did bet my money would be on Cleverly for the LOTO after GE24 even though he has the hardest job in government
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

So, an honesty thing:

I went for a swim today, and found that the leisure centre's chip-and-pin system was not working. As I did not have cash on me, they let me swim for free, as long as I paid double next time I come. They did not debit any account, or take any note of my entry.

I will, of course, mention this on Friday when I next swim. But how many people would not?

Thank you for your service.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,832
    Apparently Braverman thought a different plan could be UK officials process the claims in Rwanda and those successful could be returned to the UK . That would have been lawful . Instead the government seems to think that if parliament deems Rwanda safe then that would help , this is delusional .

Just saying a country is safe doesn’t make it so .
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,955
    I accidentally caught the end of PMQs today. not having heard Richi speak recently, I had forgotten just how incredibly whiny he sounds
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Just noticed an Advent Calendar of wine bottles (small ones admittedly). Very tempting to get one, or the single malt equivalent, just to get through one month.
    Last year I bought an "Exit Game" advents calendar. A daily puzzle after dinner was great fun. I'll buy another one this year.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,182
    Carnyx said:

My wife bought me, for a couple of years, the one from masters of malt. It was a nice experience. I tasted some malts from countries I would not have even thought would have produced it such as India and Sweden.

• Options
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

The danger for the centre and left (and centre-right) here is that Rishi and his backbenchers can shift the Overton window on issues like this even while losing badly. I don't think it's enough for Labour to focus only on practicalities or plans being unworkable. If they want to avoid the ECHR question becoming some kind of national inevitability then they need to protect the taboo. Same applies to a number of other social and human rights policies.

My fear is that Labour in power, never knowingly un-authoritarian, is not necessarily going to be the best protector here. Sooner or later there will be an inconvenient legal case that makes them start to flirt with the same options.
    That's always the worry. One of my problems with Sunak is that he treats the country like a company and is perfectly willing to fuck up its people if it serves the company's needs. We are people, not a workforce. But I don't think he gets that.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

On target so far. 8 off the first over. Just another 49 of the same needed now.
  • Options
    TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

This would take the absolute worst aspects of refugee experience around the world and apply them everywhere. The most miserable existences, some of which people are born into and live their entire lives, are in those fly-blown tented refugee camps on the borders of warzones. Take the Sahrawis, there for decades, or the Kakuma camp and several others in the Kenyan desert, or the camps housing thousands of Syrians in Jordan. These are refugees from largely intractable disputes who may never return, yet they are stuck in a sort of economically inactive limbo. Surely better to try to phase out this type of camp, where the refugees have no meaningful prospect of integration into the host country. Integration should be an option, after a period (say 2 years), and if neighbouring host countries can't afford this they should be funded by richer countries to do so.
    Isn't the scenario in the first half of your comment exactly what the populist right wants?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,182
    nico679 said:

Apparently Braverman thought a different plan could be UK officials process the claims in Rwanda and those successful could be returned to the UK . That would have been lawful .

If that was the proposal I suspect far more people would have supported it. I certainly would be far better disposed towards it.

• Options
    nico679 said:

Apparently Braverman thought a different plan could be UK officials process the claims in Rwanda and those successful could be returned to the UK . That would have been lawful . Instead the government seems to think that if parliament deems Rwanda safe then that would help , this is delusional .

Just saying a country is safe doesn’t make it so .

And they've chosen a country that, even if it were as safe and human rights-respecting as Norway (which it's not, it's an authoritarian regime with a penchant for extra-judicial killings), is going to be forever associated in many people's minds with genocide.
  • Options
    "Senior Tory says Rishi Sunak’s response to Supreme Court will be a ‘confidence issue’

Sir Simon Clarke has said Rishi Sunak’s response this evening to the Supreme Court’s ruling against Rwanda will be a “confidence issue”, implying it could threaten his leadership of the Conservative Party.

He told Sky News the Government must now respond “quickly and decisively”, and border control is now an “existential challenge” to the Government and democracy.

Asked whether Mr Sunak’s response will be a “critical issue” for him about whether Mr Sunak can lead the Tories into the next election, Sir Simon said “it is a confidence issue in his judgement and leadership of the Conservative Party”.

He warned that if the PM doesn’t step up to sort this issue out once and for all, it could mean letters of no confidence “but I don’t want us to go there”."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1835137/Suella-Braverman-live-Rwanda-Court-Ruling-today-PMQs-latest-news
This discussion has been closed.