Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Local matters – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

Cooking proper rice is really hard, from scratch

Seriously?

Get a 60ml measure (¼ of a metric cup) and scoop out one measure per person of dry rice.

Put in a pot and completely cover with water. Stir all the rice for 30 seconds. Leave for 2 mins.

Pour the milky water away. Rinse with clean water and pour it away.

For every scoop of rice you put in, put 1½ scoops of water in the pot, so for two people, two scoops of rice and 3 of water.

Heat until it boils. Put a lid on the pot. Turn off the heat.

Leave for 30 mins. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID because the pot is acting like a steamer.

After 30 mins, remove the lid and serve. It might need fluffing with a spoon or fork, but that is rice for you.
    This is all so bizarre. Cover the rice with water. Bring it to the boil. Stir once (making sure you get the corners). Turn down to simmer for 10 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid.
    Rinse in boiling water.
    That's what my Taiwanese chef ex-flatmate did.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

AD lives not far from me. He's a UK national politician, not much involvement with the council. Shouldn't be tarred with that brush. But yes, the council has it in for car drivers in Edinburgh - traffic calming they call it

Before he was elected as an MP, he was local councillor in Edinburgh
    Long ago

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,026
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.
    I have been cooking a lot for myself recently and have struggled with how poor quality food is, particularly any kind of instant meal.
    Bit I have just discovered instant rice. The quality is better than rice I can boil and you don't need to wash up. As such, many meals become possible to cook for yourself in the matter of a few minutes.

Perhaps learn to cook? It honestly isn’t hard and it can be very relaxing

There are lots of lovely meals you can whip up in 20-30 minutes. Nutritious and delicious and really simple enough that you can chug a beer or drink some wine and listen to music as you do it

It becomes a definite pleasure. Not a chore. And the benefits to your mental and physical health are significant
    Darkage is bang on about packet rice though. 90% of the time much better quality. Odd for a convenience food to be better than what you'd get if you took the time to do it the long way.
    Yeah I can cook, that is not the issue. Not brilliantly well but ok. I've just always found rice to be a pain particularly for one person. Like you say the microwaveable packet rice (Tilda in this case) is better than cooking it properly. I would never have thought that would be possible.
    Yes. It’s a revelation when you try it. I was deeply suspicious but a foodie friend of mine said Try it, you won’t believe it, you’ll never cook rice “properly” again

I tried it. And he was right. And I’ve never cooked rice “properly” since

I suspect half the Remoaner Rice Snobs on here have never even tried the beautiful British Leaver-Tilda microwave variety
    I have tried it, when I too can't be arsed.

And when I can be arsed I cook it properly and it's much better.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,692
    Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

One cup of rice to one and a half cups of water. Add salt and a knob of butter to keep the grains apart. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes. Eat. Don't wash or drain or you'll lose the goodness.

Cookie said:

It never comes out quite as good, for me. Either just too hard or just too soggy. And always - always - the wrong quantity.

And there is the key. Measure the quantity for perfect results
    Sure that works. But it’s not essential. Just cook gently in at least 1.5 times the volume of water. Drain and rinse with briefly with boiling water from the kettle.

Oh, and 12 minutes is *way* too long for basmati. 8 mins max.

If you want something more sophisticated (and complicated) Yotam Ottolenghi’s baked rice dishes are superb, as pointed out some time ago by RCS1000.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

AD lives not far from me. He's a UK national politician, not much involvement with the council. Shouldn't be tarred with that brush. But yes, the council has it in for car drivers in Edinburgh - traffic calming they call it

Long ago

Yes

That was my point.

The council have been at war on the motorist since AD was there.

A long time ago...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,321
    We have found a new division in British politics. Pathetic Remoaner rice snobs still wanking away with washing their stupid rice for sixteen hours and then wondering why everyone thinks they’re boring, and chic suave Leaver Tilda microwave rice people who chuck it in the micro for 2 minutes leaving time for excellent sex with multiple partners
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

One cup of rice to one and a half cups of water. Add salt and a knob of butter to keep the grains apart. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes. Eat. Don't wash or drain or you'll lose the goodness.

Cookie said:

It never comes out quite as good, for me. Either just too hard or just too soggy. And always - always - the wrong quantity.

Sure that works. But it’s not essential. Just cook gently in at least 1.5 times the volume of water. Drain and rinse with briefly with boiling water from the kettle.

If you want something more sophisticated (and complicated) Yotam Ottolenghi’s baked rice dishes are superb, as pointed out some time ago by RCS1000.
    Sunil, via his Mum, natch, says wash rice with plenty of water at least three times, and then boil in 2 cups water for every cup of rice, reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Simples.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We have found a new division in British politics. Pathetic Remoaner rice snobs still wanking away with washing their stupid rice for sixteen hours and then wondering why everyone thinks they’re boring, and chic suave Leaver Tilda microwave rice people who chuck it in the micro for 2 minutes leaving time for excellent sex with multiple partners

Brexiteers, whose slogan since the referendum has been "not as shit as it could have been" championing microwave rice, "not as shit as you were expecting it to be"...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.
    I have been cooking a lot for myself recently and have struggled with how poor quality food is, particularly any kind of instant meal.
    Bit I have just discovered instant rice. The quality is better than rice I can boil and you don't need to wash up. As such, many meals become possible to cook for yourself in the matter of a few minutes.

There are lots of lovely meals you can whip up in 20-30 minutes. Nutritious and delicious and really simple enough that you can chug a beer or drink some wine and listen to music as you do it

It becomes a definite pleasure. Not a chore. And the benefits to your mental and physical health are significant
    Darkage is bang on about packet rice though. 90% of the time much better quality. Odd for a convenience food to be better than what you'd get if you took the time to do it the long way.
    Yeah I can cook, that is not the issue. Not brilliantly well but ok. I've just always found rice to be a pain particularly for one person. Like you say the microwaveable packet rice (Tilda in this case) is better than cooking it properly. I would never have thought that would be possible.
    Yes. It’s a revelation when you try it. I was deeply suspicious but a foodie friend of mine said Try it, you won’t believe it, you’ll never cook rice “properly” again

I suspect half the Remoaner Rice Snobs on here have never even tried the beautiful British Leaver-Tilda microwave variety

Withal respect I have probably eaten in 100 times as many restaurants as you and probably spent 100 times longer in the ricelands of the east than you. So I can confidently say you’re talking shite
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    Mrs Tres is cajun, and every cajun fairy tale starts 'first mamma put on a pot of rice'. However it's 2023 and she says microwave rice is just fine.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

And now you’re arguing amongst yourselves. Point proven
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

And I've done both and found either no difference or packet rice is better. So we're at an impasse.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

Withal respect I have probably eaten in 100 times as many restaurants as you and probably spent 100 times longer in the ricelands of the east than you. So I can confidently say you’re talking shite
    Is that with or without pre flaked parmesan?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

Long ago

Yes

That was my point.

The council have been at war on the motorist since AD was there.

A long time ago...
    We agree they've been at war with car drivers. I don't drive much but I abhor their anti-driver measures

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    edited October 2023
    darkage said:

Off topic.

Get yourself a cheap rice cooker or learn to cook rice using the absorption method, it takes almost no effort and it comes out perfectly every time.

Instant rice is extremely expensive. If billions of Asians can cook rice from scratch then you can too.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    Leon said:

I wouldn't of course put it quiye so combatively - but there does seem to be a strong correlation here between Leave/Remain and vuews on packet rice.

I'm a discerning man, generally. Real ale over fizzy lager. Posh salt. Pipers or Tyrells crisps. But rice - packet rice is honestly better. It shouldn't be, but it is. The only reason I ever boil rice is some vague feeling packet rice is extravagant.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Then there are the turbo males who actually know how to cook rice.
    You wouldn't understand cos you're just an alpha Brexiter.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    Leon said:

The other thing about microwaveable rice is you can use it to grow magic mushrooms in. Allegedly.

https://www.zamnesia.com/uk/blog-uncle-bens-rice-tek-shroom-cultivation-n2747
  • Options

Leon said:

Seriously?

Get a 60ml measure (¼ of a metric cup) and scoop out one measure per person of dry rice.

Put in a pot and completely cover with water. Stir all the rice for 30 seconds. Leave for 2 mins.

For every scoop of rice you put in, put 1½ scoops of water in the pot, so for two people, two scoops of rice and 3 of water.

Leave for 30 mins. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID because the pot is acting like a steamer.

After 30 mins, remove the lid and serve. It might need fluffing with a spoon or fork, but that is rice for you.
    Or do what every Asian person does and get a rice cooker. I just put washed rice grains and water in and it does everything for me.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Leon said:

Whatever...
  • Options
    I'm a leaver, even unto the first referendum of aeons ago, a brexiter indeed, and I cook fab rice in several traditional ways.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

This is all so bizarre. Cover the rice with water. Bring it to the boil. Stir once (making sure you get the corners). Turn down to simmer for 10 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid.
    Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

Add water, cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.

Stir in seasoning, rice wine vinegar.

Hand shape some rice into nigiri and top with fresh seafood or butterflied prawns.

Put rest of rice onto nori, put fillings across off-centre, roll and slice.
  • Options
    Swiss National Council 2023 general election

source wiki

With 140 of 200 seats decided [looks like uncounted are in Bern canton]

Swiss People's Party 44
    Social Democratic Party 28
    The Centre 24
    The Liberals 21
    Green Party 16
    Green Liberal Party 3
    Geneva Citizens' Movement 2
    Ticino League 1
    Liberal Democratic Party Basel-Stadt 1

SSI - these results appear to confirm exit polling showing gains by Swiss People's Party

also see
    https://www.elections.admin.ch/en/ch/

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Yeah, because we’ve given up arguing with a numpty who a) cannot manage to cook rice ffs, and b) can’t tell the difference between pre-processed ‘instant’ rice and the real thing.

Any pretentious you had for good taste have been well and truly blown out of the water.

I assume for mash you use Smash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MTgjNkfyI
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic, another excellent article from @Alanbrooke. And there's not a lot I can add.

Except perhaps for two things:

(1) I think there is a more innovative work going on in China that @Alanbrooke probably gives them credit for. The speed at which they have been able to replace Western/Taiwanese/Korean supply chains in the smartphone space being one area.

(2) As China population ages, and as the government needs to provide for its population, the less they will run massive trade surpluses, and the less room there is for China to throw their weight around economically. They are going to find themselves constrained in a way that just isn't the case right now.

Should I bring up Zeihan on Chinese Demographics again? Yes. yes, I think I should
    Or, indeed, this excellent and underwatched video: https://youtu.be/OxUbPlR9HL8?si=Z1aacBWiK_iDAc4D
    That's...quite good, thank you. I watched it. Some questions, not about the content
    • i) Your channel in toto got about a million views, and I imagine your viewership would be quite well off. Did you manetise it and if so about how much did you get? My rule of thumb is about £20 per thousand views.
    • ii) You did quite a professional in-person presentation, with green screen and professional appearance and good sound. Did you consider a presentation with just voice? Is the personal appearance necessary to build up a relationship with the audience, and would a faceless presentation be better or worse?
    • iii) Other methods include animated (History Buffs), occasional cartoons (Dave Cullen), or AI generated (here, here). Do you have an opinion on which modality is best here?
    Phew. Good questions.

The reality is that my channel was doing OK - not least because I was able to use PB to kick start videos, which mean that I'd get a couple of thousands views without trying.

But I was quite lonely making them. I also found that the videos that took off where the ones which were most controversial (How To End Illegal Immigration, 222k views).

And I had a really good idea for a new startup, so I did that instead.

If I sell Just, and go back to making videos, I think I might do it more as a proper business. But you need to get up 300k views (every) video if you're going to make it work. Of course, if you can get it up to 500k or 1m, then suddenly you're doing exceptionally well, but breaking out from 200k for one in ten videos, to 300k for every one is a big leap.
    A friend of mine works in the 'digital marketing' space. The byzantine rules of youtube, tiktok etc make my head spin. "If the viewer bails out after N seconds, then 1000 demerits. If the viewer watches > 2/3rd of your video then....." etc etc.
    YouTube have started totally screwing creators in the past few months.

Discussion about a video with 250k views earning $1500 in revenue. https://youtube.com/watch?v=j7b4l0_JjGY&t=6314s
    Reading this has made me realise Youtube has stopped recommending a couple of high-subscriber channels I used to watch: Ali Abdaal and Linus Tech Tips. Or Walter Santi's cats. Hmm.
  • Options

source wiki

Swiss People's Party 44
    The Centre 24
    The Liberals 21
    Green Party 16
    Green Liberal Party 3
    Ticino League 1

SSI - these results appear to confirm exit polling showing gains by Swiss People's Party

also see

It looks like the SVP are dominating the Bern Canton results as well.

What I found surprising was turnout which is only about 45%
  • Options
    edited October 2023

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

Hand shape some rice into nigiri and top with fresh seafood or butterflied prawns.

No, put sushi rice and water into your rice cooker, set it to sushi rice and wait for 20 mins. Eat perfect rice.

I don't understand why people wouldn't have a rice cooker. It's such a great time saver you set it to do the rice before you cook whatever you're having with the rice. And it's not like they're expensive either if you don't want an all singing, all dancing one from Japan or Korea.

Again, every Asian person I know has a rice cooker or rice steamer that does the work for them. And I know a lot of Asians.
  • Options
    Simon Case, the cabinet secretary, is stepping back from his role to take a period of medical leave for a “few weeks”.

The Cabinet Office said that Case is taking a “short period of leave because of a private medical matter” and that he is due to return work. It comes as Rishi Sunak faces one of the most challenging periods of his premiership, with Israel on the cusp of invading Gaza and mounting pressure at home in the wake of two by-election defeats.

Case was due to give evidence to the Covid-19 public inquiry about the government’s handling of the pandemic in the coming weeks. The inquiry published phone messages earlier this month in which he appeared to mock Boris Johnson’s handling of the crisis.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/simon-case-cabinet-secretary-to-take-time-off-for-ill-health-t6tzv56b0
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Sky News reporting that some Hamas had papers on them related to how to make chemical weapons . This is according to the President of Israel .

These sorts of papers are available on the internet and not meaning to be over cynical but did the fighters expect to be able to find the ingredients and cobble together a weapon whilst on their rampage and meanwhile repelling the IDF .

It is pretty clear Hamas (or ISIS or whoever is running this nightmare) intended to provoke an Israeli overreaction and these plans are no doubt part of that.
  • Options
    A brilliant new chasm in British politics

RICE

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Brexiteers, whose slogan since the referendum has been "not as shit as it could have been" championing microwave rice, "not as shit as you were expecting it to be"...
    "Pot Noodle - can surprise on the upside". "Blue Drink vs. Armagnac - a knapper debates". "Chicken Dippers - what's not to like?".

"All this and more for £120 a year!"

"Next issue special - Aunt Bessies microwave chips - simply the best!"
  • Options

source wiki

Swiss People's Party 44
    The Centre 24
    The Liberals 21
    Green Party 16
    Green Liberal Party 3
    Ticino League 1

also see

It looks like the SVP are dominating the Bern Canton results as well.

What I found surprising was turnout which is only about 45%
    It's not that surprising, Swiss turnout is always pretty low because they have so many votes. It all just turns into noise eventually. My wife forgot to vote this time. She only remembered at some point today that there was an election on.
  • Options
    Leon said:

RICE

With strawberry or raspberry jam?
  • Options
    Leon said:

RICE

Asians everywhere are wondering what this chasm is all about, we've all automated our rice cooking for decades.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

No, put sushi rice and water into your rice cooker, set it to sushi rice and wait for 20 mins. Eat perfect rice.

I don't understand why people wouldn't have a rice cooker. It's such a great time saver you set it to do the rice before you cook whatever you're having with the rice. And it's not like they're expensive either if you don't want an all singing, all dancing one from Japan or Korea.

Again, every Asian person I know has a rice cooker or rice steamer that does the work for them. And I know a lot of Asians.
    I’ve got a rice cooker. It’s called a saucepan.

(Tbf I am not against rice cookers per se, I am sure they cook rice just fine, but do a need another gadget? The only thing that might persuade me is if they are more energy efficient than a saucepan on an induction hob. I suspect the benefits would be minimal.)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

Nothing against rice cookers, had one in the past and it was good, but mine died and I never replaced it as can cook rice just fine with just a pan. Sushi rice in particular is easy with a pan, works every time.
  • Options

Leon said:

RICE

Can't do pudding rice in a rice cooker or microwave

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Leon said:

Another word order on that last phrase would be: leaving the micro sex time with multiple partners for two excellent minutes?
  • Options
    Leon said:

RICE

Nah. The chasm is: processed foods.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Yeah, because we’ve given up arguing with a numpty who a) cannot manage to cook rice ffs, and b) can’t tell the difference between pre-processed ‘instant’ rice and the real thing.

Any pretentious you had for good taste have been well and truly blown out of the water.

Yeah but I’m here, right this minute

Where are you?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

(Tbf I am not against rice cookers per se, I am sure they cook rice just fine, but do a need another gadget? The only thing that might persuade me is if they are more energy efficient than a saucepan on an induction hob. I suspect the benefits would be minimal.)
    We make rice based meals 2-4 times a week in my household, a rice cooker is an absolute must have. It prevents so many rows compared to when we were living in our tiny Hampstead flat and didn't have space for one in the kitchen. Even if you're only making rice once a week it's worth it, they're like £30 for a cheapie.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,219
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

No

Buy decent basmati rice and cook it in boiling salted water. Dry it at the end if you like. Guaranteed better than packet
    But it isn’t. I’ve tried both. Cooking proper rice is really hard, from scratch - whereas microwave rice is now reliably excellent

I’m sure if I invested in a proper dedicated rice cooker and all that… but I haven’t got room and I can’t be arsed

Another surprisingly good convenience food is microwave mussels. I add some chopped garlic and parsley and they are genuinely nice. Not as good as you’d get from a good seafood restaurant but totally acceptable if you were eating them in a shack by a beach
    Let me introduce you to the tiny rice cooker from Lakeland :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083CMMFHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes great rice and is barely the size of a 500g bag of... rice.
    Yeah no I’m not gonna buy a rice cooker. I might have done if they hadn’t perfected microwave rice. But they have
    Biggest microwave surprise to me: whole trout, gutted from the supermarket. 3 mins and delicious.

Biggest disappointment: people claiming a microwaved baked potato is worth eating.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

"Pot Noodle - can surprise on the upside". "Blue Drink vs. Armagnac - a knapper debates". "Chicken Dippers - what's not to like?".

Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires ITYM. The Telegraph has just revealed the best oven chips (not microwave):-
    McCain Gastro Triple Cooked Chips
    £3.70 for 700g at Sainsbury’s (£5.29/kg)

Inch-thick chips that sizzle to a great colour, a crunchy bite and fluffy interior. Nicely seasoned, with a dollop of beef fat. No dextrose; no added starch, either. Chips as nature intended.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/columnists/the-best-value-supermarket-chips-mccain-sainsburys-asda/

• Options

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

Nothing against rice cookers, had one in the past and it was good, but mine died and I never replaced it as can cook rice just fine with just a pan. Sushi rice in particular is easy with a pan, works every time.
    I only do rice in a pan if I'm making it for more than 6 people, even then I sometimes just run the rice cooker twice. It's such less hassle, and I make perfect rice on the pan, it just means I'm not taking up space on the hob, there's less washing up and given the one year old who can now walk around an bump her head into everything - there's no opportunity to forget about it and end up with burnt rice.
  • Options
    Catania is brilliant. Its a total fucking dump with a definite edge of mafia menace but the centre is stunning in a hugely rundown way

I strongly advise against a holiday here. It’s fantastic
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,662
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

Hence the popularity of rice makers, particularly in Asia.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Catania is brilliant. Its a total fucking dump with a definite edge of mafia menace but the centre is stunning in a hugely rundown way

Not too dissimilar to Camden, then :lol:
  • Options
    Catania is the “whole ortolan” of Italian travel. Most people will find it ugly, disgusting and even distressing, but for the true travel gourmand, put the tea towel over your head and tuck in
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467
    I've never been madly into rice. I always enjoy it when I have it - it's a perfectly decent food accompaniment, but I can't get enthused about it like bread or potatoes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

I only do rice in a pan if I'm making it for more than 6 people, even then I sometimes just run the rice cooker twice. It's such less hassle, and I make perfect rice on the pan, it just means I'm not taking up space on the hob, there's less washing up and given the one year old who can now walk around an bump her head into everything - there's no opportunity to forget about it and end up with burnt rice.
    Well if I'm cooking I'm cooking for at least 4 anyway normally, but not sure how its less trouble?

Its literally just a case of putting rice and water into a pan with the lid on, turning the hob on and setting a timer. Its no extra effort than using a rice cooker.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

RICE

Asians everywhere are wondering what this chasm is all about, we've all automated our rice cooking for decades.
    Not in this household :lol:

(Sunil's method listed upthread)
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

No

Buy decent basmati rice and cook it in boiling salted water. Dry it at the end if you like. Guaranteed better than packet
    But it isn’t. I’ve tried both. Cooking proper rice is really hard, from scratch - whereas microwave rice is now reliably excellent

I’m sure if I invested in a proper dedicated rice cooker and all that… but I haven’t got room and I can’t be arsed

Another surprisingly good convenience food is microwave mussels. I add some chopped garlic and parsley and they are genuinely nice. Not as good as you’d get from a good seafood restaurant but totally acceptable if you were eating them in a shack by a beach

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083CMMFHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah no I’m not gonna buy a rice cooker. I might have done if they hadn’t perfected microwave rice. But they have
    Biggest microwave surprise to me: whole trout, gutted from the supermarket. 3 mins and delicious.

Biggest disappointment: people claiming a microwaved baked potato is worth eating.
    You do it for 5 mins in the microwave and then about 20 in the oven. You still get your nice ovenny taste but in half the time.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    I have NFI^2 (idea or interest) in how rice is cooked but veering on topic I've noticed that the two tory council seat defences around here in the last year have been characterised by lethargy and they lost both.

While generally lacking in any significant intellect or moral ballast your average tory did have a sort of febrile energy - like a rat. Now, that seems to have gone. They've given up and know they are in for a shellacking.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires ITYM. The Telegraph has just revealed the best oven chips (not microwave):-
    McCain Gastro Triple Cooked Chips
    £3.70 for 700g at Sainsbury’s (£5.29/kg)

Inch-thick chips that sizzle to a great colour, a crunchy bite and fluffy interior. Nicely seasoned, with a dollop of beef fat. No dextrose; no added starch, either. Chips as nature intended.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/columnists/the-best-value-supermarket-chips-mccain-sainsburys-asda/

I expect next years winner will be Gillettes Gastro Quatro Cooked Chips.
  • Options

Leon said:

RICE

Nah. The chasm is: processed foods.
    No, I don't generally like processed foods. Rice is the exception.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

There was a great restaurant in Catania we went to during COVID, I had a truly excellent tuna steak (fresh not frozen, and cooked to absolute perfection) with pistachio crumb. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Edit - Nope, looks like it's closed forever.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,198

I've never been madly into rice. I always enjoy it when I have it - it's a perfectly decent food accompaniment, but I can't get enthused about it like bread or potatoes.

Rice, bread and potatoes are all good. As is pasta 👍
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

We make rice based meals 2-4 times a week in my household, a rice cooker is an absolute must have. It prevents so many rows compared to when we were living in our tiny Hampstead flat and didn't have space for one in the kitchen. Even if you're only making rice once a week it's worth it, they're like £30 for a cheapie.
    It’s not the cost Max, it’s the principle. We have too much ‘stuff’ already: microwave, blender, food processor, juicer, mixer, coffee machine, bread maker, ice cream maker(!)….

Now PBers are advising me to get an air fryer and a rice cooker. Enough already!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

It’s not the cost Max, it’s the principle. We have too much ‘stuff’ already: microwave, blender, food processor, juicer, mixer, coffee machine, bread maker, ice cream maker(!)…. Now PBers are advising me to get an air fryer and a rice cooker.

Enough already!
    Air fryers are definitely worth it.

Most food that can be done in the oven can be done in an air fryer at a fraction of the time and cost.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    CASH
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

There was a great restaurant in Catania we went to during COVID, I had a truly excellent tuna steak (fresh not frozen, and cooked to absolute perfection) with pistachio crumb. Let me see if I can dig it up.
    Yes the food is good. Catania proves my long held belief that the best Italian food is always found in the poorest old cities with the fewest foreign tourists
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,453

Another well-researched article - many thanks, James. Also worth noting the strong Green performance at locals - they often benefit from an informal alliance with the LIb Dems, and are similarly perceived (often wrongly) to be centrists.

Yep. Unfortunately here in Scotland the "Green" brand has been hijacked by a weird group who in previous years would have spent their waking hours selling copies of Socialist Worker in the nearest shopping centre. With the benefit of PR and the aforementioned several of them are pulling in £70k occupying seats in the Scottish Parliament. And two of them are currently competing for the title of Western Europe's most incompetent government minister.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Leon said:

You're too late on this one. My wife was there all last week.....
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Always found it amusing to go to a pizza restaurant in Taiwan.
    There was always a bowl of boiled rice on standby for the older generation.
    Who ate their pizza with chopsticks.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

It’s not the cost Max, it’s the principle. We have too much ‘stuff’ already: microwave, blender, food processor, juicer, mixer, coffee machine, bread maker, ice cream maker(!)….

Now PBers are advising me to get an air fryer and a rice cooker. Enough already!
    Dump the bread maker and ice cream maker, I can't imagine they get much use. I find bread from a bread machine to be worse than what I can get from a local bakery or even the bakery counter in Waitrose or Sainsbury's and much worse than my own home baked bread, though I don't have as much time to make it.

I'd also highly recommend an air fryer. They're bloody brilliant. I made chips in them earlier today and they used a tablespoon of oil for 3 potatoes worth of chips and they came out brilliantly crispy and tasty with no deep frying required. They are a must have gadget IMO.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Cookie said:

No

The key to microwaving baked potatoes is to OVERcook them. Try it

There is a sweet spot where the skin and outer flesh becomes golden and deliciously crunchy and they’re as good as trad baked potatoes - but different

But you have to get it right. Bang on. Leave it a minute too long and they dry out. A minute short and they have that bland microwave potato taste

• Options

Which of these is thes best? I would definitely go for potatoes. No artisan loaf or whatever it is that Scott does with rice can compare with a fried potato. Or even a baked, chipped or roast potato.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Where are you?
    I’m just north of Skagen in the Skagerrak, heading into the Kattegat.

Yesterday I was in Haarlem, tomorrow I’m in Copenhagen.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

RICE

Absolutely.

Unless you're making risotto.
  • Options

Leon said:

You're too late on this one. My wife was there all last week.....
    On holiday?!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I rather like the Taiwanese approach to western food in courses. Choose your main course - then soup, salad and dessert just appear with no option.

This might be dying out in favour of real courses, but I rather liked it.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Where are you?

Photos or it didn’t happen

Seriously. I like PB travel photos. I’d like to see the Kattegat!

They keep mentioning it in “Vikings”
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,453
    Leon said:

Catania is the “whole ortolan” of Italian travel. Most people will find it ugly, disgusting and even distressing, but for the true travel gourmand, put the tea towel over your head and tuck in

Last thing Francois Mitterand ever did. The ortolan, that is. Not Catania.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

If rice is a staple (I prefer it to pasta), then it makes sense.
    But it's not a big deal.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I have NFI^2 (idea or interest) in how rice is cooked but veering on topic I've noticed that the two tory council seat defences around here in the last year have been characterised by lethargy and they lost both.

While generally lacking in any significant intellect or moral ballast your average tory did have a sort of febrile energy - like a rat. Now, that seems to have gone. They've given up and know they are in for a shellacking.

Did you weigh in on whether an X3 is the right choice for towing a field gun ?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Which of these is thes best? I would definitely go for potatoes. No artisan loaf or whatever it is that Scott does with rice can compare with a fried potato. Or even a baked, chipped or roast potato.
    It's a difficult call, yes potatoes are fabulous. Then bread or is it pasta? Rice is good too but behind the others in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Rinse in boiling water.
    Sushi rice

Rinse it.

Rinse it again.

Dump the bread maker and ice cream maker, I can't imagine they get much use. I find bread from a bread machine to be worse than what I can get from a local bakery or even the bakery counter in Waitrose or Sainsbury's and much worse than my own home baked bread, though I don't have as much time to make it.

I'd also highly recommend an air fryer. They're bloody brilliant. I made chips in them earlier today and they used a tablespoon of oil for 3 potatoes worth of chips and they came out brilliantly crispy and tasty with no deep frying required. They are a must have gadget IMO.
    The bread maker makes great focaccia actually (ok it kneads and proves great focaccia - we bake it in the oven.)

We do tend to get most of our bread from a local bakery now and we don’t eat enough to justify buying a breadmaker but I hate to chuck it, knowing it will go into landfill probably.

Bread from a supermarket should be avoided - highly processed food that can do havoc to your gut biome.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited October 2023
    Cookie said:

Question for pb.com's Scottish contingent (or anyone else, really): I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh on Friday for a day's tourism with the family. I'm driving down from Dunkeld, spending the day in Edinburgh, then carrying on home to Manchester. In order not to sit in traffic in Edinburgh for an hour or so at each end of the day, I thought I'd look at park and ride - surely there must be some station west of the city I can park at? First thought was Dalmeny, but from Google Earth that looks worryingly full/heavily restricted on the streets round about. Edinburgh Gateway and Edinburgh Park appear to have no parking anywhere near. There is a park and ride on the tram at Ingliston, but that appears to be a 45 minute tram ride, which strikes me (with five people) as as long and expensive a journey as just driving into the centre. Anyone have any tips?

EDIT: Appears the journey from Ingliston is actually 32 minutes - 45 minutes included a walk (presumably to the car park?) at the Ingliston end. But still. Seems a little suboptimal.

Given you're continuing onto Manchester, I understand why you'd be tempted to drive in. There is plenty of parking at the Omni Centre and St James', but prepare for huge congestion and a baffling road layout. Friday afternoon/evening can be awful for traffic.

The tram is fast in the west of the city, it only slows down once you pass Haymarket. It's super smooth and much better than the bus for having a chat etc.

Alternatively, consider the P&R at Straiton. You'll end up on that side of the city anyway if you're headed south, and this bus sits in bus lanes all the way in. Jump off at the Uni and walk in through the Southside.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Rice, then pasta, then bread, potatoes last.

Though I could go back and forth on the first three depending upon what mood I'm in.
  • Options

CASH

Don't tell @Anabobazina
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

RICE

Absolutely.

Unless you're making risotto.

Just take one bag of instant risotto rice, stick it in the microwave…
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Did you weigh in on whether an X3 is the right choice for towing a field gun ?
    OFC. It was on the end of the last thread but I am not so insecure that I'd yield to the neurotic vanity of the 'FPT' repost.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,019
    edited October 2023
    I have just made an awesome boeuf bourginon with a pound of pancetta and five pounds of chuck. Two bottles of Pinot noir in there and half a bottle of brandy, to deglaze. Mash with milk and shit loads of butter and salt and a good dash of white pepper.

Who gives a fuck about rice?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Where are you?

They just nicked the name of a piece of sea for their fictional town
  • Options

I have just made an awesome boeuf bourginon with a pound of pancetta and five pounds of chuck. Two bottles of Pinot noir in there and half a bottle of brandy, to deglaze. Mash with milk and shit loads of butter and salt and a good dash of white pepper.

Sounds like a good meal, dump the mash, add rice.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Cookie said:

Though I could go back and forth on the first three depending upon what mood I'm in.
    Impressive you can get the list so completely wrong. It is, of course, the reverse. And it's not even close.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited October 2023
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

RICE

Can't do pudding rice in a rice cooker or microwave

Quite. Just had ground rice pudding (simmered with milk to get the right consistecny) served with a dollop of home made redcurrant jelly.

Edit: washing up = one saucepan, one spatula, one teaspoon for the jelly.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Where are you?

Ah. I did wonder how the geography would fit together
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Impressive you can get the list so completely wrong. It is, of course, the reverse. And it's not even close.
    I've never been keen on potatoes. I just find them meh.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Where are you?

Ah. I did wonder how the geography would fit together
    The story makes most sense, insofar as it makes any, if it is set in Denmark, but it is filmed mostly in Ireland, and the mountains behind the settlement are pasted into the shot behind the Irish set from film taken in Norway. Just odd bits of filming were done in Norway, such as the closing shot to season two up on Pulpit Rock, which I hiked up to in July.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Seriously?

Or do what every Asian person does and get a rice cooker. I just put washed rice grains and water in and it does everything for me.
    Yep. Looks like I'm a leaver on rice then if I'm following correctly (which I doubt).
  • Options
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

I rather like the Taiwanese approach to western food in courses. Choose your main course - then soup, salad and dessert just appear with no option.

This might be dying out in favour of real courses, but I rather liked it.
    Yeah. Me too.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,019

Sounds like a good meal, dump the mash, add rice.
    In fairness, I love rice and eat a lot of it. But mash is better with this dish.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Still awaiting an Isaraeli ground offensive into Gaza? Reportedly its Bibi holding it off, despite most of his unity cabinet urging a go ahead. It appears he is going down the negotiation route on the hostages and waiting to see if more can be brought out.

This, ultimately, may make no sense as Hamas would be nuts to give much more away, but the Israelis put big store by their people and Netanyahu, who I suspect is stuffed no matter, has decided this is the path for a day or five yet.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cookie said:

Question for pb.com's Scottish contingent (or anyone else, really): I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh on Friday for a day's tourism with the family. I'm driving down from Dunkeld, spending the day in Edinburgh, then carrying on home to Manchester. In order not to sit in traffic in Edinburgh for an hour or so at each end of the day, I thought I'd look at park and ride - surely there must be some station west of the city I can park at? First thought was Dalmeny, but from Google Earth that looks worryingly full/heavily restricted on the streets round about. Edinburgh Gateway and Edinburgh Park appear to have no parking anywhere near. There is a park and ride on the tram at Ingliston, but that appears to be a 45 minute tram ride, which strikes me (with five people) as as long and expensive a journey as just driving into the centre. Anyone have any tips?

EDIT: Appears the journey from Ingliston is actually 32 minutes - 45 minutes included a walk (presumably to the car park?) at the Ingliston end. But still. Seems a little suboptimal.

Given you're continuing onto Manchester, I understand why you'd be tempted to drive in. There is plenty of parking at the Omni Centre and St James', but prepare for huge congestion and a baffling road layout. Friday afternoon/evening can be awful for traffic.

The tram is fast in the west of the city, it only slows down once you pass Haymarket. It's super smooth and much better than the bus for having a chat etc.

Alternatively, consider the P&R at Straiton. You'll end up on that side of the city anyway if you're headed south, and this bus sits in bus lanes all the way in. Jump off at the Uni and walk in through the Southside.
    Hermiston park and ride is free and a short bus journey takes you straight into Princes Street. You can actually park there for I think 2 or 3 nights, it's great for a few days in Edinburgh if you're staying in a city centre hotel
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

Where are you?

There’s nothing to see - it’s pitch black and blowing a gale.

Here’s Haarlem Grote Kerk from yesterday after the painting by Pieter Saenredam.

Grrr vanilla and pictures,
  • Options

Try chicken-and-sausage gumbo, with a good roux and Louisiana rice.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Still awaiting an Isaraeli ground offensive into Gaza? Reportedly its Bibi holding it off, despite most of his unity cabinet urging a go ahead. It appears he is going down the negotiation route on the hostages and waiting to see if more can be brought out.

This, ultimately, may make no sense as Hamas would be nuts to give much more away, but the Israelis put big store by their people and Netanyahu, who I suspect is stuffed no matter, has decided this is the path for a day or five yet.

How long can an army remain mobilised and on the brink? Isn’t that an issue? At some point you have to stand them down, no?
This discussion has been closed.