Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Local matters – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Yokes said:

Still awaiting an Isaraeli ground offensive into Gaza? Reportedly its Bibi holding it off, despite most of his unity cabinet urging a go ahead. It appears he is going down the negotiation route on the hostages and waiting to see if more can be brought out.

This, ultimately, may make no sense as Hamas would be nuts to give much more away, but the Israelis put big store by their people and Netanyahu, who I suspect is stuffed no matter, has decided this is the path for a day or five yet.

US diplomatic pressure on Qatar paying off to get Western hostages released, before the war starts?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

One cup of rice to one and a half cups of water. Add salt and a knob of butter to keep the grains apart. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes. Eat. Don't wash or drain or you'll lose the goodness.

Cookie said:

It never comes out quite as good, for me. Either just too hard or just too soggy. And always - always - the wrong quantity.

And there is the key. Measure the quantity for perfect results
    Sure that works. But it’s not essential. Just cook gently in at least 1.5 times the volume of water. Drain and rinse with briefly with boiling water from the kettle.

Oh, and 12 minutes is *way* too long for basmati. 8 mins max.

If you want something more sophisticated (and complicated) Yotam Ottolenghi’s baked rice dishes are superb, as pointed out some time ago by RCS1000.
    And now you’re arguing amongst yourselves. Point proven
    Yeah, because we’ve given up arguing with a numpty who a) cannot manage to cook rice ffs, and b) can’t tell the difference between pre-processed ‘instant’ rice and the real thing.

Any pretentious you had for good taste have been well and truly blown out of the water.

I assume for mash you use Smash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MTgjNkfyI
    Yeah but I’m here, right this minute

Where are you?
    I’m just north of Skagen in the Skagerrak, heading into the Kattegat.

Yesterday I was in Haarlem, tomorrow I’m in Copenhagen.
    Photos or it didn’t happen

Seriously. I like PB travel photos. I’d like to see the Kattegat!

They keep mentioning it in “Vikings”
    There’s nothing to see - it’s pitch black and blowing a gale.

Here’s Haarlem Grote Kerk from yesterday after the painting by Pieter Saenredam.

Grrr vanilla and pictures,
    It’s so windy, everything has tipped over?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Always found it amusing to go to a pizza restaurant in Taiwan.
    There was always a bowl of boiled rice on standby for the older generation.
    Who ate their pizza with chopsticks.

I rather like the Taiwanese approach to western food in courses. Choose your main course - then soup, salad and dessert just appear with no option.

This might be dying out in favour of real courses, but I rather liked it.
    Yeah. Me too.
    Sweetcorn soup with a bread roll. Some lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Main course. Pu Ding. (aka creme brulee. Occasionally ice cream. Sometimes the bizarre shaved ice).
    You're basically ordering beef, seafood, chicken or pork.
    That's the extent of the bother.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815

I have just made an awesome boeuf bourginon with a pound of pancetta and five pounds of chuck. Two bottles of Pinot noir in there and half a bottle of brandy, to deglaze. Mash with milk and shit loads of butter and salt and a good dash of white pepper.

Who gives a fuck about rice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Grass
  • Options
    Duck with cherry red wine sauce, green beans, mashed potato.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    carnforth said:

Cookie said:

I've never been madly into rice. I always enjoy it when I have it - it's a perfectly decent food accompaniment, but I can't get enthused about it like bread or potatoes.

Rice, bread and potatoes are all good. As is pasta 👍
    Which of these is thes best? I would definitely go for potatoes. No artisan loaf or whatever it is that Scott does with rice can compare with a fried potato. Or even a baked, chipped or roast potato.
    Rice, then pasta, then bread, potatoes last.

Though I could go back and forth on the first three depending upon what mood I'm in.
    Impressive you can get the list so completely wrong. It is, of course, the reverse. And it's not even close.
    No. Great bread is the best

A perfect sour sourdough. Or a world class Parisian baguette. Or a fresh home made cottage loaf still a little warm from the oven, with tip top butter and jam… mmmmmmm

If I had to give up two of the three I’d give up rice first, then spuds (both with great reluctance) and keep the bread

Pasta is nice but doesn’t overexcite me and polenta can quite frankly go fuck itself

• Options
    AND THAT’S A FINAL WARNING TO POLENTA
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087
    Leon said:

Yokes said:

Still awaiting an Isaraeli ground offensive into Gaza? Reportedly its Bibi holding it off, despite most of his unity cabinet urging a go ahead. It appears he is going down the negotiation route on the hostages and waiting to see if more can be brought out.

This, ultimately, may make no sense as Hamas would be nuts to give much more away, but the Israelis put big store by their people and Netanyahu, who I suspect is stuffed no matter, has decided this is the path for a day or five yet.

How long can an army remain mobilised and on the brink? Isn’t that an issue? At some point you have to stand them down, no?
    On a ship, the three month mark is where everyone starts going a bit bonkers and the suicides/overdoses have to be hushed up. A bit longer for mobilised ground troops I would have thought. Maybe even longer in Israel as they aren't deployed in a foreign country.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have NFI^2 (idea or interest) in how rice is cooked but veering on topic I've noticed that the two tory council seat defences around here in the last year have been characterised by lethargy and they lost both.

While generally lacking in any significant intellect or moral ballast your average tory did have a sort of febrile energy - like a rat. Now, that seems to have gone. They've given up and know they are in for a shellacking.

Did you weigh in on whether an X3 is the right choice for towing a field gun ?
    OFC. It was on the end of the last thread but I am not so insecure that I'd yield to the neurotic vanity of the 'FPT' repost.

Yes I did that just the once and felt pretty bad about myself for days afterwards. It's naff. Would Steve McQueen copy one of his posts from the fag end of a thread onto the next one? Or would he just leave it? Stupid question.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

I've never been madly into rice. I always enjoy it when I have it - it's a perfectly decent food accompaniment, but I can't get enthused about it like bread or potatoes.

Which of these is thes best? I would definitely go for potatoes. No artisan loaf or whatever it is that Scott does with rice can compare with a fried potato. Or even a baked, chipped or roast potato.

Though I could go back and forth on the first three depending upon what mood I'm in.
    Impressive you can get the list so completely wrong. It is, of course, the reverse. And it's not even close.

A perfect sour sourdough. Or a world class Parisian baguette. Or a fresh home made cottage loaf still a little warm from the oven, with tip top butter and jam… mmmmmmm

If I had to give up two of the three I’d give up rice first, then spuds (both with great reluctance) and keep the bread

Pasta is nice but doesn’t overexcite me and polenta can quite frankly go fuck itself

The secret to good, tasty polenta is to add cheese

https://www.insidetherustickitchen.com/creamy-polenta/
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

How long can an army remain mobilised and on the brink? Isn’t that an issue? At some point you have to stand them down, no?
    On a ship, the three month mark is where everyone starts going a bit bonkers and the suicides/overdoses have to be hushed up. A bit longer for mobilised ground troops I would have thought. Maybe even longer in Israel as they aren't deployed in a foreign country.
    Really? That surprises me but I yield to your expertise. I’ve been reading that the troops either have to go this week or the whole thing must be shelved for a while as they start over
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yokes said:

They're too busy flattening Gaza from the air?
  • Options

Try chicken-and-sausage gumbo, with a good roux and Louisiana rice.
    A good gumbo is magnificent. Especially if you can eat it in New Orleans!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have NFI^2 (idea or interest) in how rice is cooked but veering on topic I've noticed that the two tory council seat defences around here in the last year have been characterised by lethargy and they lost both.

While generally lacking in any significant intellect or moral ballast your average tory did have a sort of febrile energy - like a rat. Now, that seems to have gone. They've given up and know they are in for a shellacking.

OFC. It was on the end of the last thread but I am not so insecure that I'd yield to the neurotic vanity of the 'FPT' repost.

Yes I did that just the once and felt pretty bad about myself for days afterwards. It's naff. Would Steve McQueen copy one of his posts from the fag end of a thread onto the next one? Or would he just leave it? Stupid question.
    When I've said something particularly amusing, I feel it's cruel to deprive PB of it.
  • Options

CASH

DIVERSITY TRAINING
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Barnesian said:

One cup of rice to one and a half cups of water. Add salt and a knob of butter to keep the grains apart. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes. Eat. Don't wash or drain or you'll lose the goodness.

Cookie said:

It never comes out quite as good, for me. Either just too hard or just too soggy. And always - always - the wrong quantity.

And there is the key. Measure the quantity for perfect results
    Sure that works. But it’s not essential. Just cook gently in at least 1.5 times the volume of water. Drain and rinse with briefly with boiling water from the kettle.

Oh, and 12 minutes is *way* too long for basmati. 8 mins max.

If you want something more sophisticated (and complicated) Yotam Ottolenghi’s baked rice dishes are superb, as pointed out some time ago by RCS1000.
    And now you’re arguing amongst yourselves. Point proven
    Yeah, because we’ve given up arguing with a numpty who a) cannot manage to cook rice ffs, and b) can’t tell the difference between pre-processed ‘instant’ rice and the real thing.

Any pretentious you had for good taste have been well and truly blown out of the water.

I assume for mash you use Smash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MTgjNkfyI
    Yeah but I’m here, right this minute

Where are you?
    I’m just north of Skagen in the Skagerrak, heading into the Kattegat.

Yesterday I was in Haarlem, tomorrow I’m in Copenhagen.
    Photos or it didn’t happen

Seriously. I like PB travel photos. I’d like to see the Kattegat!

They keep mentioning it in “Vikings”
    There’s nothing to see - it’s pitch black and blowing a gale.

Here’s Haarlem Grote Kerk from yesterday after the painting by Pieter Saenredam.

Grrr vanilla and pictures,
    Ok why is it so hard to post photos on Vanilla?

• Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Really? That surprises me but I yield to your expertise. I’ve been reading that the troops either have to go this week or the whole thing must be shelved for a while as they start over
    I'm just talking about the mental state of readiness. I'm sure there are many logistical and organisational factors that mean you can't keep them on the vinegar strokes forever.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Just doesn’t do it for me. Polenta. Stodgy at best

But if we’re taking the world’s worst carbs is there anything nastier than “hominy grits”?!
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,264
    Leon said:

AND THAT’S A FINAL WARNING TO POLENTA

The fact that Italian peasants largely gave up on it as soon as they could get/afford wheat tells us all we need to know.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

I'm just talking about the mental state of readiness. I'm sure there are many logistical and organisational factors that mean you can't keep them on the vinegar strokes forever.
    Ah. Yes. I’m referring to the logistics and the strategy. Apparently a plan of attack is only good for so long in this environment and then you have to rethink. Plus all those idle machines and bored soldiers. It makes sense you can’t keep them perfectly primed for long
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

But if we’re taking the world’s worst carbs is there anything nastier than “hominy grits”?!
    Polenta is the worst carb. Every time I've tried it it's left me disappointed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Leon said:

Yokes said:

Probably yes but there are a few weeks yet before sitting about becomes an unreasonably expensive exercise plus it has a deterent value elsewhere. The forces for Gaza are reportedly doing a bit of training which I suppose makes sense, espcially for the reservists, but equally they could have launched in days ago with the standing active military then follow on.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397
    edited October 2023
    Pop down to Infinity Foods in Brighton, if it still exists. Best wild rice to be had there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Polenta is the worst carb. Every time I've tried it it's left me disappointed.
    Yeah, it’s rubbish
  • Options
    Some elements of VII Corps held on the border for almost six months before crossing the line in Iraq 1 in 1991/2.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    This sounds terrible.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/police-pressure-leads-to-cancelled-pro-israel-rally-in-north-london/ar-AA1iF9Xl?cvid=ddd0bf40cffe4d83b0e2937d42d8dd67&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=9

Police advised against a pro-Israel 'peace march' that was expected to attract 30,000 people. That was because they felt that it may not be safe for the people there and they had received credible threats of trouble. So it isn't currently safe to demonstrate/gather in public if you are Jewish/pro Israel. A fundamental freedom of living in the UK is de facto removed. Will this provoke outrage? I suspect not. 'Liberal' Britain has gone too far done the rabbit hole to make sense of the situation. For those wanting to make the equivalence argument between Islamaphobia/antisemitism consider that it is deemed perfectly safe for 100,000 people, many with dubious motives to say the least, to march through London for Palestine but not for others to do likewise for Israel.

At some point we are going to have to stare down the Jihadist thugs in our own society. They aren't going away. It would be better for us to do it now.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539
    Leon said:

We have found a new division in British politics. Pathetic Remoaner rice snobs still wanking away with washing their stupid rice for sixteen hours and then wondering why everyone thinks they’re boring, and chic suave Leaver Tilda microwave rice people who chuck it in the micro for 2 minutes leaving time for excellent sex with multiple partners

So these are my options? Washing rice or sex with multiple partners? Sheez.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Sandpit said:

Yokes said:

US diplomatic pressure on Qatar paying off to get Western hostages released, before the war starts?
    Maybe so, the foreign component of hostages seems significant but why would Hamas ultimately give up its sole card overall and let all the Israelis go? Any Israeli military arent getting exchanged right now, Hamas are on record that thats a no.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Grits is polenta without the taste.

I make polenta now and again and while it goes well with things like roast rabbit, it’s not the most interesting side. But in the spring I had some delicious polenta in a restaurant in Bergamo Citta Alta and I bought a packet of their special corn mix, but as I was buying jt they said the real secret is to add fontina cheese near the end of the cooking.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Adding cheese is cheating, shirley?

You could add cheese to just any carb and improve it. (Not instant rice obvs.)

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

We have found a new division in British politics. Pathetic Remoaner rice snobs still wanking away with washing their stupid rice for sixteen hours and then wondering why everyone thinks they’re boring, and chic suave Leaver Tilda microwave rice people who chuck it in the micro for 2 minutes leaving time for excellent sex with multiple partners

So these are my options? Washing rice or sex with multiple partners? Sheez.
    You can also wash multiple partners and have sex with rice. But that is the exhaustive list.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

Mealie meal

Manioc

Semolina

I think some of these might be the same but they’re all UGH
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    The rise of bubble tea remains a mystery to me. "Would you like some frogspawn in your beverage?"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

People who definitely would never FPT...

Steve McQueen
    David Bowie
    J.G. Ballard

People who definitely would FPT...

Terry Pratchett
    Peter Kay
    Craig off Strictly
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Surely depends on where they are deployed, supply lines, closesness to home. Israel gave some of their soldiers leave when they decided to hold off on a ground invasion initially.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Steve McQueen
    David Bowie
    J.G. Ballard

Terry Pratchett
    Peter Kay
    Craig off Strictly
    What about your favourite stars from One Foot in the Grave and Keeping up Appearances? FPTers?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585
    I see the right wing press campaign to elect Braverman as LOTO continues.

• Options
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

Mealie meal

Manioc

Semolina

Semolina = wheat IIRC
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Thanks. It's good to have an small outpost of reliability in a mad world.
  • Options

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

Mealie meal

Manioc

Semolina

Semolina = wheat IIRC
    Cous Cous
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Steve McQueen
    David Bowie
    J.G. Ballard

Terry Pratchett
    Peter Kay
    Craig off Strictly
    What about your favourite stars from One Foot in the Grave and Keeping up Appearances? FPTers?
    Richard Wilson an FPTer? I don’t believe it.
  • Options

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

Mealie meal

Manioc

Semolina

Semolina = wheat IIRC
    How did they manage to make it so horrid at school? The only joy was the tiny dollop of jam

That was food as punishment
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    I've mentioned this before, with a flatmate's family in the Piedmont Alps. Polenta was to be treated with utter reverence, it kept the town from starvation in the war and anything said against it was a blasphemy beyond any on God himself. I think in their hearts they knew.

But I did once have excellent polenta, cooked by an ex heroin addict in his riverside restaurant, eating alongside his proud parole officer. That guy was a magician.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.
    I have been cooking a lot for myself recently and have struggled with how poor quality food is, particularly any kind of instant meal.
    Bit I have just discovered instant rice. The quality is better than rice I can boil and you don't need to wash up. As such, many meals become possible to cook for yourself in the matter of a few minutes.

Perhaps learn to cook? It honestly isn’t hard and it can be very relaxing

There are lots of lovely meals you can whip up in 20-30 minutes. Nutritious and delicious and really simple enough that you can chug a beer or drink some wine and listen to music as you do it

It becomes a definite pleasure. Not a chore. And the benefits to your mental and physical health are significant
    I've never really understood the idea it is hard to cook. Probably hard to cook well, but I tend to just follow instructions and it usually works out pretty well, and the process itself is relaxing.
    Absolutely

As for recipes - you can’t go wrong with Delia Smith, even now. Yes she’s ancient but her simple recipe style is a godsend to a beginner. Just do what she says. It will taste good
    My alternative.

I can cook - very well, if I want to. But after cooking for my family for years and years and before then for myself there are other things I want to do with my time.

So I married a man who loves cooking and is good at it. I taught all 3 children to cook. They are all good at it too and one even worked as a chef for a while.

Life skills passed on, delicious meals cooked for me and lots of free time. Result! 😁
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Alternatively you could ditch the carbs and be 9. stone 10 like me
    Course you'd have an eating disorder too.
    But you can't have it all
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

Mealie meal

Manioc

Semolina

Semolina = wheat IIRC
    Cous Cous
    Also wheat
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815

I see the right wing press campaign to elect Braverman as LOTO continues.

Tories: We believe in Free Speech

Also Tories: Not like that!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Excellent sex in 2 minutes?!?

Oh Leon - you have so much to learn ......

• Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

I quite like Bulgar wheat which you don't hear much about but is definitely better than quinoa imho.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.
    I have been cooking a lot for myself recently and have struggled with how poor quality food is, particularly any kind of instant meal.
    Bit I have just discovered instant rice. The quality is better than rice I can boil and you don't need to wash up. As such, many meals become possible to cook for yourself in the matter of a few minutes.

There are lots of lovely meals you can whip up in 20-30 minutes. Nutritious and delicious and really simple enough that you can chug a beer or drink some wine and listen to music as you do it

It becomes a definite pleasure. Not a chore. And the benefits to your mental and physical health are significant
    I've never really understood the idea it is hard to cook. Probably hard to cook well, but I tend to just follow instructions and it usually works out pretty well, and the process itself is relaxing.
    Absolutely

As for recipes - you can’t go wrong with Delia Smith, even now. Yes she’s ancient but her simple recipe style is a godsend to a beginner. Just do what she says. It will taste good
    My alternative.

I can cook - very well, if I want to. But after cooking for my family for years and years and before then for myself there are other things I want to do with my time.

So I married a man who loves cooking and is good at it. I taught all 3 children to cook. They are all good at it too and one even worked as a chef for a while.

Life skills passed on, delicious meals cooked for me and lots of free time. Result! 😁
    Mums are great for that. My dear old mum taught me the basics - more importantly, she taught me enthusiasm for food

Then in my late 20s I discovered I enjoyed it and in my affluent 40s when I could afford fine ingredients and ace wine I came to love it

I agree if cooking has been your family job for decades it will be less pleasing

Walking is the same. My mum had to walk mikes and miles to school from the age of 5-18. It induced a lifelong hatred of walking in her. She cannot understand people who go hiking for pleasure
  • Options

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

Mealie meal

Manioc

Semolina

Semolina = wheat IIRC
    Yes, it's made from a type of heavy wheat, 99% of pasta is made from semolina flour, farina di semola. I make my fresh pasta from it too. Prefer it to egg pasta using 00 grade which I find too heavy.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

I quite like Bulgar wheat which you don't hear much about but is definitely better than quinoa imho.

Yeah, you can add quinoa to Leon’s yuk carbs list. It’s right up there.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Tapioca
    Sago

Mealie meal

Manioc

Semolina

Semolina = wheat IIRC
    Cous Cous
    Cous Cous exists to make our inevitable death more tolerable. Who could not be consoled by the thought that at least I will never have to eat Cous Cous again?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

When I've said something particularly amusing, I feel it's cruel to deprive PB of it.
    Yes fair enough - once a year or so doesn't hurt.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

Agree quinoa. Unpleasant texfure and insipid taste

Where does PB stand on noodles? I used to dislike them til I went to Japan and discovered Ubon
    noodles which are great

I’d put noodles in the second tier alongside pasta but beneath the MIGHTY TRIUMVIRATE of rice bread and spuds
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

They're just nixtamalized grits.

It makes the otherwise nutritionally useless corn marginally less pointless as a foodstuff.

• Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

Try the Greek spin on it, I really enjoy it. It's called pourgouri, it's delicious.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

It makes the otherwise nutritionally useless corn marginally less pointless as a foodstuff.

And they eat them…. For breakfast

*existential shudder*
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

The sole purpose of corn is to be popped and enjoyed at the cinema.

Beyond that its useless.
  • Options
    This thread has become soggy.
  • Options
    Noodles and couscous are great.

Quinoa is disgusting, polenta bland and pointless.

• Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

Absolutely

My alternative.

Mums are great for that. My dear old mum taught me the basics - more importantly, she taught me enthusiasm for food

Then in my late 20s I discovered I enjoyed it and in my affluent 40s when I could afford fine ingredients and ace wine I came to love it

I agree if cooking has been your family job for decades it will be less pleasing

Walking is the same. My mum had to walk mikes and miles to school from the age of 5-18. It induced a lifelong hatred of walking in her. She cannot understand people who go hiking for pleasure
    Agree, I took the skills my mum taught me and then added in a whole bunch of western techniques and flavours as well as East Asian flavours that my mum could never master. This evening we had my sister's family over and I made karahi chicken, rice(!), fresh naan, lamb sheek kebabs, chicken tikka skewers and a tomato/carrot spicy chutney. My mum is vegetarian and wouldn't know how to do any of it but it's the skills she taught me that mean I know how to combine Indian flavours.

Even my sister said it was as good as what I consider the UK's best authentic Indian restaurant.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,034
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

Where does PB stand on noodles? I used to dislike them til I went to Japan and discovered Ubon
    noodles which are great

I’d put noodles in the second tier alongside pasta but beneath the MIGHTY TRIUMVIRATE of rice bread and spuds
    Instant noodles are the best solution for long distance walking or bikepacking. I survived 2 weeks in the wilderness eating them, chocolate, peanuts and coffee.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

noodles which are great

Jjangjangmyeon - the Chinese/Korean dish which you invariably see being messily eaten in K dramas - is one of the truly great noodle dishes.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jajangmyeon
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I’ve tried with couscous. I really have. Earnestly

But it always tastes like I’ve got some sand or dust in my food. Mmmmno

It’s not down there with grits, semolina or quinoa. But it’s hovering in the relegation zone

THIS IS A FINAL WARNING TO COUSCOUS. SHAPE UP
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

noodles which are great

Ramen noodles are great, other types I can take or leave. Don't mind udon, you should try soba noodles, they're made from buckwheat and have a really interesting flavour profile compared to standard wheat noodles.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,101
    This thread is hilarious . The state of the world and we’re talking about rice !

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

I’d never choose noodles in an Asian dish; rice every time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

noodles which are great

I like noodles. Not up there with pasta but similar.

What about Buckwheat?

Did not get on with that myself.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s not down there with grits, semolina or quinoa. But it’s hovering in the relegation zone

Giant couscous is a step up, but a bit pricy and I'd rather just have bulgur wheat given the similarity. My wife can do wonderful things with giant couscous, she learned from her grandma who had to cook with it in the early years in Israel.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

Absolutely

My alternative.

Agree, I took the skills my mum taught me and then added in a whole bunch of western techniques and flavours as well as East Asian flavours that my mum could never master. This evening we had my sister's family over and I made karahi chicken, rice(!), fresh naan, lamb sheek kebabs, chicken tikka skewers and a tomato/carrot spicy chutney. My mum is vegetarian and wouldn't know how to do any of it but it's the skills she taught me that mean I know how to combine Indian flavours.

Even my sister said it was as good as what I consider the UK's best authentic Indian restaurant.
    You sound a lot more skilled and ambitious than me. But we share the enthusiasm

I remember when my mum gave me avocado vinaigrette. This was provincial England in the 70s

She gave it to me - a simple halved avocado with vinaigrette and she said try this and I did and I thought Wow. Such a weird mix of textures and flavours but beautifully rich and full of umami

That was probably a pivotal moment looking back. I’ve only just recalled it
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I’d never choose noodles in an Asian dish; rice every time.
    Except ramen, one hopes.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

This thread is hilarious . The state of the world and we’re talking about rice !

This is the way the world ends
    Not with a grit but a noodle.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

noodles which are great

Ramen noodles are great, other types I can take or leave. Don't mind udon, you should try soba noodles, they're made from buckwheat and have a really interesting flavour profile compared to standard wheat noodles.
    Yes I like soba noodles

You have to have Singapore rice noodles with laksa. It only works with noodles. Rice would be a ludicrous disaster on a par with the second Iraq war

Ditton ramen as you say. Gotta be noodles with that brilliant slurpy quality
  • Options
    My favourite food of all - my go to comfort food - is a really good broth. My mother made a wonderful one and I lived on broth as a student - sometimes padded out with pastina (tiny pasta) and parmesan.

I make a clear broth for our Xmas lunch - (made from proper bones etc slowly) - served with fresh ravioli and Parmesan. Utterly delicious and 2 or 3 servings can really fill you up.

The last 3 days we've had a delicious vegetable and lentil soup made with real homemade stock slowly cooked on the log burner. Scrumptious!

• Options
    We haven't done gram flour!!!!

Love a chapati me.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
    Any news from Argentina?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Never tried them.

noodles which are great

Jjangjangmyeon - the Chinese/Korean dish which you invariably see being messily eaten in K dramas - is one of the truly great noodle dishes.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jajangmyeon
    Ooh thanks. I shall try making it
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,233
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Giant couscous is a step up, but a bit pricy and I'd rather just have bulgur wheat given the similarity. My wife can do wonderful things with giant couscous, she learned from her grandma who had to cook with it in the early years in Israel.
    Yeah man. Giant cous cous with, say a North African stew and tahini or a rich tangine is a perfect combo. Cous cous generally is shit, though, so I can appreciate why it’s maligned - it fully deserves to be.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,903
    edited October 2023
    As a kid, some 35 years ago, our local Chinese takeaway sold “crispy noodles”. These were massive, hot, deep-fried things you ate like crisps. Roughly as thick as fast food fries and absolutely glorious. I have never been able to find their like again and believe me I have looked.

I will now refresh this page every two minutes throughout the night in case any PBer knows what I’m on about and where they might be obtained.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I suspect the state of the world is precisely why we are talking about rice
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Yeah man. Giant cous cous with, say a North African stew and tahini or a rich tangine is a perfect combo. Cous cous generally is shit, though, so I can appreciate why it’s maligned - it fully deserves to be.
    What is “giant couscous”?! It’s new to me. I LIKE NEW
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

Absolutely

My alternative.

It’s an art form, Indian cookery. The most demanding of the four great cuisines, but also the most rewarding, when you get it right.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Ottolonghi did it in about 2012. Although not in a microwave, so there's an opening.
  • Options

As a kid, some 35 years ago, our local Chinese takeaway sold “crispy noodles”. These were massive, hot, deep-fried things you ate like crisps. Absolutely glorious. I have never been able to find their like again and believe me I have looked.

I will now refresh this page every two minutes throughout the night in case any PBer knows what I’m on about and where they might be obtained.

Fried noodles, Chow Mein. But you need to have them fresh in the restaurant or they'll be soggy by the time you get home.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Brexiteers, whose slogan since the referendum has been "not as shit as it could have been" championing microwave rice, "not as shit as you were expecting it to be"...
    "Pot Noodle - can surprise on the upside". "Blue Drink vs. Armagnac - a knapper debates". "Chicken Dippers - what's not to like?".

"All this and more for £120 a year!"

"Next issue special - Aunt Bessies microwave chips - simply the best!"
    Aunt Bessie's Yorkshires ITYM. The Telegraph has just revealed the best oven chips (not microwave):-
    McCain Gastro Triple Cooked Chips
    £3.70 for 700g at Sainsbury’s (£5.29/kg)

Inch-thick chips that sizzle to a great colour, a crunchy bite and fluffy interior. Nicely seasoned, with a dollop of beef fat. No dextrose; no added starch, either. Chips as nature intended.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/columnists/the-best-value-supermarket-chips-mccain-sainsburys-asda/

Yes - those are decent. Unlike microwave chips.
  • Options
    Honestly you could read this thread in 30 minutes and learn more truths about carbohydrates in cookery than you’d learn by reading 84 cook books

The combined wisdom of PB, when applied to something deeply serious, is a thing to behold
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

It's Israeli couscous. My wife introduced me to it. We get ours in Finchley from the deli.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

My favourite food of all - my go to comfort food - is a really good broth. My mother made a wonderful one and I lived on broth as a student - sometimes padded out with pastina (tiny pasta) and parmesan.

I make a clear broth for our Xmas lunch - (made from proper bones etc slowly) - served with fresh ravioli and Parmesan. Utterly delicious and 2 or 3 servings can really fill you up.

The last 3 days we've had a delicious vegetable and lentil soup made with real homemade stock slowly cooked on the log burner. Scrumptious!

Really good noodles in a really good broth, even better.
    Sometimes served cold - great when it's 35C.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_noodles
  • Options
    edited October 2023

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

Absolutely

My alternative.

It’s an art form, Indian cookery. The most demanding of the four great cuisines, but also the rewarding, when you get it right.
    I fiercely dispute “four”

I count at least eight or even nine

Chinese
    Japanese
    Thai
    Indian
    Italian
    French
    Spanish
    Mexican
    And - controversially - Georgian

With several other contenders battling for a place: Turkish, Lebanese, Moroccan, Malay
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,903
    MaxPB said:

As a kid, some 35 years ago, our local Chinese takeaway sold “crispy noodles”. These were massive, hot, deep-fried things you ate like crisps. Absolutely glorious. I have never been able to find their like again and believe me I have looked.

Fried noodles, Chow Mein. But you need to have them fresh in the restaurant or they'll be soggy by the time you get home.
    Close! But these ones were a lot thicker than chow mein - almost like fast food fries. I wonder whether they were a bizarre speciality of this one takeaway.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Catania is brilliant. Its a total fucking dump with a definite edge of mafia menace but the centre is stunning in a hugely rundown way

I strongly advise against a holiday here. It’s fantastic

You're too late on this one. My wife was there all last week.....
    On holiday?!
    Yes, on holiday.

Although, she might have been doing some mafia deals on the side....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Close! But these ones were a lot thicker than chow mein - almost like fast food fries. I wonder whether they were a bizarre speciality of this one takeaway.
    Oh I know what you mean, Mein Gow. But you won't find it in a lot of places.
  • Options
    Some big names have signed this:

The October Declaration

https://britishfriendsofisrael.org/
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Off topic.

Absolutely

My alternative.

It’s an art form, Indian cookery. The most demanding of the four great cuisines, but also the rewarding, when you get it right.
    I fiercely dispute “four”

I count at least eight or even nine

Chinese
    Japanese
    Thai
    Indian
    Italian
    French
    Spanish
    Mexican
    And - controversially - Georgian

With several other contenders battling for a place: Turkish, Lebanese, Moroccan, Malay
    Traditionally it’s four greats: Indian, Italian, French, Chinese

But, it probably isn’t four, really.

Agree with your list (but have never had Georgian).

American barbecue
    Caribbean

Two potential additions to argue about all night long
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

It's Israeli couscous. My wife introduced me to it. We get ours in Finchley from the deli.
    I'm learning loads on tonight's thread.

Only on PB!!!!
This discussion has been closed.