Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My guess: Sunak will wait until 2025 for the election – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited July 2023 in General
imageMy guess: Sunak will wait until 2025 for the election – politicalbetting.com

Given the way the polls are going it is hard to see any sort of recovery in the months before the general election. The public appears to have made up its mind about Sunak and his party and there are very few positive signs for the Tories.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunak is fabulously rich and he'll continue to be a fabulously rich tech bro no matter what. I'm sure he values being PM over being head of a fund-raising committee for one of his kids' schools but not by much.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,553
    There is no reason for the Prime Minister to call an early election. Something might turn up, and in the mean time, he is still Prime Minister.

The one caveat is that although Boris favoured winter elections (as Labour voters were less likely to turn out in bad weather) the conventional Tory wisdom has favoured spring or summer. Of course, all this might be a proxy for whatever Lynton Crosby and his acolytes think, but the point is that Rishi might have a view.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 596
    edited July 2023
    Bronze - my first podium for a while
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,175
    Hopefully the Tories will be punished even more, for ruining Christmas 2024 on top of everything else they've done to us since 2010.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    No way he goes for an election in January, when everyone is partied out and there’s too much month left at the end of the money.

Not to mention the activists, who have little intention of ruining their own Christmas, nor that of their constituents by banging on doors.

October ‘24 for me. Before the clocks go back.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 144
    Very much doubt it. Apart from the Xmas point, they'd do even worse trying to cling on to power.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Wiki says the latest possible date is Tuesday 28 January 2025 - see link.

Whether that's correct I'm not certain - but if it is and Sunak sticks to the convention of a Thursday it would mean Thursday 23 January 2025.

Assuming little significant campaigning over Christmas and New Year that would mean an intensive three week campaign starting on 2 January 2025 - I guess that is just about plausible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Having a January election could be dangerous, could lose additional seats if they do it when everyone is (,even more) skint
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Absolutely no point in an early election he will wait until the last moment.

Then again bf only has "2023" (18.5) and "2024 or later" (1.04).

Where is the monthly market?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    I'm coming to the view it's possible. Sunak does hedge, decide slowly and leaving a decision to make itself is in line with that.

On the other hand, if he has 'given up', resigned himself to defeat, that says he goes at the point he's had enough of the charade. Avoiding the LE 24 fallout, which looks like it will be a terrible election round defending the 2021 high point by hiding it under a GE is also a species of avoidance decision you could see Sunak making.

What I don't expect is boldness, any decision will be defensive.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Another, little-known aspect of the Ukrainian war:

"One Ukrainian soldier had six extensively drug-resistant bacterial infections"

https://arstechnica.com/health/2023/07/ukraine-war-spurs-horrifying-rise-in-extensively-drug-resistant-bacteria/
  • Options
    Rachel Riley receiving an MBE for her services to Holocaust education has really upset the leftist anti-Semites on Twitter.

It's quite hilarious.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,418
    edited July 2023
    Sorry, Mike, but no.

Parliament has to be dissolved no later than 17th December next year, and the final date would have to be 28th January '25. Which means a GE campaign starting the week leading up to Christmas. As @Sandpit points out, January is a month notorious for lack of money, and most people won't have been paid by the 28th which is the last date. It's also for many people the most depressing month of the year.

So, I'm sorry to disappoint, but there won't be a January election, unless Sunak is a Labour plant and wishes to annihilate the Conservative Party.

The election will either be May/June or October. So it's either 10 months or 15 months away. My money would be on October 2024.

No amount of Conservative wishful thinking will stave this off beyond that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    Pulpstar said:

Having a January election could be dangerous, could lose additional seats if they do it when everyone is (,even more) skint

It's a tough one, isn't it?

Sunak wants to wait as long as possible, just in case something turns up. But on the other hand, waiting until January 2024 (a) looks desperate (which it is), and (b) means that people will be feeling post-Christmas poor.

Personally, I think OGH is onto something here. The temptation to wait another month just in case pictures of Sunak and Savile enjoying tea together shows up will be a very strong one.
  • Options

Rachel Riley receiving an MBE for her services to Holocaust education has really upset the leftist anti-Semites on Twitter.

It's quite hilarious.

Yes I wandered over to Twitter to see what's trending (actually to see if we have a BBC name yet - we don't) and she was. So I investigated further. Bad move.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    edited July 2023
    Mike could well be right.

I doubt Sunak is much bothered what happens to the Conservative Party and there is little reason to go to the country before he has to other than to save a few seats.

Certainly worth a punt if one is available.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I'm coming to the view it's possible. Sunak does hedge, decide slowly and leaving a decision to make itself is in line with that.

On the other hand, if he has 'given up', resigned himself to defeat, that says he goes at the point he's had enough of the charade. Avoiding the LE 24 fallout, which looks like it will be a terrible election round defending the 2021 high point by hiding it under a GE is also a species of avoidance decision you could see Sunak making.

What I don't expect is boldness, any decision will be defensive.

Every extra month as PM is recorded in the history books so I think he'll stay.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

There is no reason for the Prime Minister to call an early election. Something might turn up, and in the mean time, he is still Prime Minister.

The one caveat is that although Boris favoured winter elections (as Labour voters were less likely to turn out in bad weather) the conventional Tory wisdom has favoured spring or summer. Of course, all this might be a proxy for whatever Lynton Crosby and his acolytes think, but the point is that Rishi might have a view.

I keep repeating this but December 2019 was a one-off. It was the Get Brexit Done election, following a stalemate parliament which was ridiculous and even had a pro-European like me irritated.

Apart from being up against an unelectable anti-semitic trotskyite, the entire raison d'etre of that election was Get Brexit Done.
  • Options

I doubt Sunak is much bothered what happens to the Conservative Party

You've overplayed your hand there.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    Hanging on until the end looks desperate. October 2024 must be favourite but tempted by 18.5 for 2023 - at least he could ask for support for his 5 pledges/ 5 vague aspirations (delete to taste) rather than having to admit that he has missed them.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    You also have to factor in the media. They're not quite as powerful as they were but there is no way Sunak would be given an easy ride by dithering until January. The media would rip him apart for being frit. It would see the tory party facing a Canada wipeout. Which means you also have to take into account the MPs and constituents.

It's either May/June (less likely) or October.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I keep repeating this but December 2019 was a one-off. It was the Get Brexit Done election, following a stalemate parliament which was ridiculous and even had a pro-European like me irritated.

Apart from being up against an unelectable anti-semitic trotskyite, the entire raison d'etre of that election was Get Brexit Done.
    While all that is true, why would Sunak go to the polls in (say) October 2024 when he can hang on a little longer just in case something comes up?

Human beings are programmed to delay based on nothing more than hope. And - from Sunak's point of view - there might only be a 1% chance that something turns up, but what's the downside of waiting in case it does? Sure a few more seats are likely lost; but many MPs will be losing their jobs anyway, and would appreciate a few more months in the House.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

The temptation to wait another month just in case pictures of Sunak and Savile enjoying tea together shows up will be a very strong one.
    Sic.

;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

While all that is true, why would Sunak go to the polls in (say) October 2024 when he can hang on a little longer just in case something comes up?

Because he wants the Conservative Party to perform the least badly it can.

Mr Micawber is best left within the pages of fiction.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    Icarus said:

Hanging on until the end looks desperate. October 2024 must be favourite but tempted by 18.5 for 2023 - at least he could ask for support for his 5 pledges/ 5 vague aspirations (delete to taste) rather than having to admit that he has missed them.

October 2023? That would be the case if we had Ben Stokes as Prime Minister.
  • Options

Icarus said:

October 2023? That would be the case if we had Ben Stokes as Prime Minister.
    :D
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited July 2023
    I think the precedents of Gordon Brown and John Major are persuasive - if the polls don't turn, he'll hang on as long as he can.

There's no persuasive evidence that any month is better or worse than any other for a particular governing party's support.

So very late 2024 or January 2025 would be my guess.

And one thing we should get over is the idiotic habit of holding elections on a Thursday (apparently because people did that in the 19th century or something).
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,029
    Elections in mid winter are risky because of the possibility of extreme weather impacting them . Sunak would also look desperate if he hangs on till January .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited July 2023
    He'll go October 31st 2024 or November 7th 2024 to really piss me and other political gamblers off.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    edited July 2023

He'll go October 31st 2004 or November 7th 2004 to really piss me and other political gamblers off.

He might be running out of reasons to miss PMQs by then!
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

What makes you think he cares what happens to the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    1/20 on no GE this year available on BF is verging on value.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Why? How do you explain the date of GE 1997 except as an exercise in hanging on in the hope something turns up?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,411

He'll go October 31st 2004 or November 7th 2004 to really piss me and other political gamblers off.

If he’s invented time travel he might just pull things off.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    ydoethur said:

Oops I meant 2024.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oops I meant 2024.
    I had a feeling you did, but you never know. Sunak has a reputation for being obsessed with implausible maths.

I think he will go for October 2024, but not for that reason. Put simply, it’s the last practical date which wouldn’t totally piss off his few remaining activists.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

No way he goes for an election in January, when everyone is partied out and there’s too much month left at the end of the money.

Not to mention the activists, who have little intention of ruining their own Christmas, nor that of their constituents by banging on doors.

October ‘24 for me. Before the clocks go back.

That's the logical date to go for but do you think Sunak has ever experienced or truly, viscerally understands what it's like to have too much month at the end of your money?

Inertia is a powerful drug and for it to be January 2025 he just needs to do nothing and it happens automatically. I think it's improbable, but definitely wouldn't rule it out.

Maybe a 30% chance.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Long ago I tipped October 2024, and I am sticking with that prediction.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I agree with Mike. Sunak will hold on until the law compels him to go to the people. Unless he can find a way to change the law.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Elections in mid winter are risky because of the possibility of extreme weather impacting them . Sunak would also look desperate if he hangs on till January .

He is desperate.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    At least de Vries hasn’t ’ceased to exist’ as the same magazine said he might the other week.
  • Options

I agree with Mike. Sunak will hold on until the law compels him to go to the people. Unless he can find a way to change the law.

Sunak is many things, but he isn’t Donald Trump.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

I think the precedents of Gordon Brown and John Major are persuasive - if the polls don't turn, he'll hang on as long as he can.

There's no persuasive evidence that any month is better or worse than any other for a particular governing party's support.

And one thing we should get over is the idiotic habit of holding elections on a Thursday (apparently because people did that in the 19th century or something).

Thursday's are a sensible day to have elections, but any weekday Mon to Thursday works. Weekdays are when people are at home, not going away. And our long election hours (from early morning until 10pm) means anyone can go to vote either before or after work.

Weekend elections are much more likely to occur while people are away from home.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336

Is there provision for a Royal Prerogative extension anymore? We are at proxy war with Russia.

Another two years might be handy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    IanB2 said:

Well it is more likely than Jan 2024.

But twice as likely, or ten times, or twenty ?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    edited July 2023
    It won’t be May 2024 - there is no money to allow tax cuts (even small ones)

So my guess is October 14th 2024 (2 years + 4 days as PM) - not quite the full 5 years so doesn’t seem completely desperate and maximises the time he is PM to 2 years which looks respectable.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Do you mean Jan 2025? I don't think anyone expects Jan 2024.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Why? How do you explain the date of GE 1997 except as an exercise in hanging on in the hope something turns up?
    Those who say they know for certain are fooling themselves.
  • Options
    Don't panic Tory PBers, Liz Truss has launched the "Growth Commission" and we are, it would seem, £10,000 a year poorer than Americans.

(We were probably only £5000 worse off before Kwarteng's absurd budget.)
  • Options

He doesn't quite say that - he's 'coming round to the view'.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,919
    edited July 2023

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

What makes you think he cares what happens to the Conservative Party?
    Not as if he left the very large brown messes on the carpet at Nos 10 and 11 in the first place.

Edit: albeit contributing to the latter somewhat.
  • Options

Is there provision for a Royal Prerogative extension anymore? We are at proxy war with Russia.

There never was one, was there?

In WWI and WWII a series of Acts extending Parliament were passed.
  • Options

No.
    And even if there were, it wouldn't happen.

In the case of extreme national emergency (not sure what would be extreme enough, but it would have to be something in the order of a nuclear attack), there'd be a national coalition government, and a Parliamentary vote to postpone the election.
  • Options

Could we do that again?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, I seem to have a case of the TSEs this morning.

Jan 2024 would be more like 2000/1.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    The header assumes Sunak is still PM and gets to make the choice
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

It strikes me that the BBC is now the only organisation more protective of sex pests, perverts and rapists than the Catholic Church. Is it the new state religion?

FPT - but I was left wondering about the Metropolitan Police. And the Houses of Parliament. Scratching my head about those being sects, obscure or otherwise.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Also James Callaghan.

In fact, what's the counter? When did a PM near certain of losing go to the country any earlier than they absolutely had to?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

No.

In the case of extreme national emergency (not sure what would be extreme enough, but it would have to be something in the order of a nuclear attack), there'd be a national coalition government, and a Parliamentary vote to postpone the election.
    Back in March 2020, I wondered if one would happen over Covid. In the end, I doubt it would have made much difference to the handling of the epidemic; except we may have stayed in lockdowns for longer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    Carnyx said:

O/T but some very striking photos:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/jul/12/janine-wiedel-images-of-flaming-1970s-industrial-britain

And a couple of comments caught my eye:

"My father was a die caster at the Birmid in Smethwick and I remember the burn holes in his trousers and shirts from the molten metal.

My nan and my mum both worked at Bullpitts round the corner from the jewellery quarter making Swan kettles, saucepans teapots etc. [...] My mum would spend lots of time taking the swarf out of her hands and fingers each evening.

A brass part on my nan's machine had to be replaced, they presented it to her as she had over many years left imprints in the brass of her grip on it. My brother still has this part."

and

"As for drinking at work, I worked in a foundry. As the youngest on the shop floor I would be sent to the nearest pub with two steel buckets to fill up with mild beer. The gaffers didn't mind because we all only drank mild (a less potent brew) and we soon sweated it out. Thinking back, the conditions were atrocious.....but the camaraderie and the banter was second to none. We thought it a triumph when showers were fitted in the changing room. We always let the lads who had lost fingers or had been badly burned go first in the showers. Etiquette among men considered subhuman by the office staff."

One of my first jobs was in the Black Country, a bit later on in the Eighties, but lots of industrial injuries. I remember a bloke who lost both legs when some sheet steel spilled and took them off.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Penddu2 said:

It strikes me that the BBC is now the only organisation more protective of sex pests, perverts and rapists than the Catholic Church. Is it the new state religion?

FPT - but I was left wondering about the Metropolitan Police. And the Houses of Parliament. Scratching my head about those being sects, obscure or otherwise.
    And several political parties.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,580
    Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Major didn't hold on until the very very very last minute; that would have been May 22 1997. May 1 (coinciding with county elections) was just the last sensible date. The question is whether January 2025 is at all sensible.

I suspect that the answer is that there's no good date. Go now, and the Conservatives bake in a terrible defeat. Wait, and the newsflow incoming probably makes that defeat worse. There's a chance that something truly brilliant turns up, but the average expectation has to be things continuing to drift down.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Also James Callaghan.

In fact, what's the counter? When did a PM near certain of losing go to the country any earlier than they absolutely had to?
    Both Heath and Wilson thought they would win.

I would guess therefore the answer is Balfour in 1905, although technically it was Campbell-Bannerman who called the election as the new PM.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Penddu2 said:

Bronze - my first podium for a while

Assuming you've received an award (not that you've just bought yourself a podium made of bronze), congratulations.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,321
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Check your footwear. If you see something nasty, seek urgent medical attention. Cases of TSE can rapidly spiral out of control.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    Scott_xP said:

The header assumes Sunak is still PM and gets to make the choice

No matter how bad things are - all factions have a seat at cabinet so there is no real incentive to bring Rishi down as there is no-one who can unity enough factions to have a chance of doing so.
  • Options
    In other news:

Our little town has a lot of names based on 'Monkfield' in it, including an artery road, a primary school, a doctor's surgery, woodland etc. This was based on a 'Monkfield Farm' which preexisted the development; I think the original farmhouse is now the dentists.

St Neots, seven miles to the west, has several major housing developments ongoing. A new one is being built to the east of new 'Loves Farm' development, and is being called.... 'Monksfields'.

Which will, in no way, cause any confusion. No siree.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited July 2023
    If all that Sunak cares about is maximising his tenure in No 10 in the history books without ever winning a general election then Jan 2025 would be a good bet.

If he wants to annoy voters however, forcing a general election in freezing January 2025 rather than September or October 2024 would be a good way to do it
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,843
    TOPPING said:

It's quite hilarious.

Yes I wandered over to Twitter to see what's trending (actually to see if we have a BBC name yet - we don't) and she was. So I investigated further. Bad move.
    Haters gonna hate. Left and right haters are pretty much as awful as each other.

Yes it's despicable and should be called out. I am sure you are very happy Starmer has done so much to root out these people from the Labour Party.
  • Options

Don't panic Tory PBers, Liz Truss has launched the "Growth Commission" and we are, it would seem, £10,000 a year poorer than Americans.

(We were probably only £5000 worse off before Kwarteng's absurd budget.)

Is that £10,000 poorer including the cost of healthcare and the permanent stress of living in a country without meaningful safety nets, employment rights, where gun ownership is rampant and so many cities are either occupied by the homeless or largely abandoned, etc etc? I know where I would rather be and it isn't there!

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Penddu2 said:

The C of E and the Church of Scotland replaced the Roman Catholic Church as the British state religions 500 years ago anyway
  • Options
    edited July 2023

'Never' is too strong a word. Until 1688 (I suppose technically 1641) parliaments were called and dismissed at the pleasure of the monarch so elections were irregular. The Triennial Act 1641 stated that there must be elections every three years in England. Ironically, the first parliament elected under it sat for nineteen years. In 1688 one of the clauses under which William of Orange was made King by Parliament was that he would honour the triennial acts.

In 1715 that was changed to every seven years for the whole of Great Britain.

In 1911 it was changed to every five years.

So I suppose you could say the monarch *did* have that power until the Civil War, in law, and until the Orange Revolution, in practice.

Wiser monarchs than Charles I of course tended to exercise that power with restraint.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,843
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

£10k government Christmas present to every UK citizen, followed by a snap election in Jan 2024. That could work.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

No.

In a parallel universe where the FTPA had actually done it's job and May hadn't called an early election (and thus 2019 hadn't happened either) the 2015 Parliament would have expired during COVID lockdown.

Most likely still with Jeremy Corbyn as LOTO.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Sorry, Mike, but no.

Parliament has to be dissolved no later than 17th December next year, and the final date would have to be 28th January '25. Which means a GE campaign starting the week leading up to Christmas. As @Sandpit points out, January is a month notorious for lack of money, and most people won't have been paid by the 28th which is the last date. It's also for many people the most depressing month of the year.

So, I'm sorry to disappoint, but there won't be a January election, unless Sunak is a Labour plant and wishes to annihilate the Conservative Party.

The election will either be May/June or October. So it's either 10 months or 15 months away. My money would be on October 2024.

No amount of Conservative wishful thinking will stave this off beyond that.

Indeed, even the leadership contest to be Conservative Leader of the Opposition will likely be over by Christmas 2024
  • Options

In other news:

Our little town has a lot of names based on 'Monkfield' in it, including an artery road, a primary school, a doctor's surgery, woodland etc. This was based on a 'Monkfield Farm' which preexisted the development; I think the original farmhouse is now the dentists.

St Neots, seven miles to the west, has several major housing developments ongoing. A new one is being built to the east of new 'Loves Farm' development, and is being called.... 'Monksfields'.

If only there was a simple way to locate things within a few metres, perhaps combinations of random words, assigned to a map of the globe. Might be worth investing in tech like that.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

No.

In a parallel universe where the FTPA had actually done it's job and May hadn't called an early election (and thus 2019 hadn't happened either) the 2015 Parliament would have expired during COVID lockdown.

Most likely still with Jeremy Corbyn as LOTO.
    Does the Civil Contingencies Act contain a clause allowing elections to be postponed? Not that Johnson used the Act, of course, because he didn't seem to know it existed, but May might have done.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

'Never' is too strong a word. Until 1668 (I suppose technically 1641) parliaments were called and dismissed at the pleasure of the monarch so elections were irregular. The Triennial Act 1641 stated that there must be elections every three years in England. Ironically, the first parliament elected under it sat for nineteen years. In 1688 one of the clauses under which William of Orange was made King by Parliament was that he would honour the triennial acts.

So I suppose you could say the monarch *did* have that power until the Civil War, in law, and until the Orange Revolution, in practice.

Wiser monarchs than Charles I of course tended to exercise that power with restraint.
    The King can still force a general election and dissolve Parliament if a PM has refused to hold one after the 5 year term of his government has elapsed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Indeed, even the leadership contest to be Conservative Leader of the Opposition will likely be over by Christmas 2024

Assuming they have enough seats left to be the official opposition...
  • Options
    If you are in search of positive news, let me give you some. The country around Sidmouth is currently buzzing with bees and butterflies. I think the decision to keep the grass long and let wild flowers grow in so many meadows, combined with recent rain, has brought them out to play. Not having a clue about nature I could be totally wrong. But I do know they are there because I can see them! Maybe it's only round here, but I hope not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Penddu2 said:

The C of E and the Church of Scotland replaced the Roman Catholic Church as the British state religions 500 years ago anyway
    Looking at the circumstances in which Sentamu has been sacked from his bishopric I won't be giving the C of E a clean bill of health.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's quite hilarious.

Haters gonna hate. Left and right haters are pretty much as awful as each other.

Yes it's despicable and should be called out. I am sure you are very happy Starmer has done so much to root out these people from the Labour Party.
    Delighted. Still a work in progress though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

'Never' is too strong a word. Until 1668 (I suppose technically 1641) parliaments were called and dismissed at the pleasure of the monarch so elections were irregular. The Triennial Act 1641 stated that there must be elections every three years in England. Ironically, the first parliament elected under it sat for nineteen years. In 1688 one of the clauses under which William of Orange was made King by Parliament was that he would honour the triennial acts.

The King can still force a general election and dissolve Parliament if a PM has refused to hold one after the 5 year term of his government has elapsed
    Possibly, although it has never been tested as neither George V nor his son thought to resist Parliament's truce.

But that's also the opposite of the point being made. It was about the prerogative being used to extend parliaments, not terminate them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Try learning our constitution.

One happens automatically by law, the King doesn't choose.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If all that Sunak cares about is maximising his tenure in No 10 in the history books without ever winning a general election then Jan 2025 would be a good bet.

If he wants to annoy voters however, forcing a general election in freezing January 2025 rather than September or October 2024 would be a good way to do it

Climate change Januaries are not what they once were - the Januaries of the late 70’s and early 80’s were often brutal, and like Dickins, my childhood is full of memories of snowy winters.

From a personal point of view, I’d love the distraction of a January election. Jan can be a tedious month, so for politics geeks it would be like Christmas, all over again.

For the Country, May 2024 would be best. A reset is needed, even if those coming in have few ideas of consequence. At least the faces telling us how shit it all is will change.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,085

It's quite hilarious.

The pathetic baubles in general are a relic of the useless UK establishment trying to pretend they still are something instead of a tired old banana republic. Anyone stupid enough to accept one of these from the clown running the show needs their head looking anyway.
  • Options

At least the faces telling us how shit it all is will change.

If only.

All the Brexiteers who are now whining about how shit their Brexit is will continue to whine about it, even louder...
  • Options
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

Climate change Januaries are not what they once were - the Januaries of the late 70’s and early 80’s were often brutal, and like Dickins, my childhood is full of memories of snowy winters.

From a personal point of view, I’d love the distraction of a January election. Jan can be a tedious month, so for politics geeks it would be like Christmas, all over again.

For the Country, May 2024 would be best. A reset is needed, even if those coming in have few ideas of consequence. At least the faces telling us how shit it all is will change.
    Gordon Brown kept Tory supporters waiting for 5 years from 2005 to 2010, Callaghan kept Tories waiting for 5 years from 1974 to 1979 so Labour supporters can be kept waiting 5 years too for a likely change of government.

John Major also waited for 5 years from 1992 to 1997 so no reason for Rish to call an election in May 2024 when he still has 6 months extra to go if he wants it
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    What is this government trying to do?

We have the utterly doomed Stop the boats bill with the Rwanda option. Doomed, not because it will not pass but because it is a token gesture against the numbers now coming over. The Today program has been doing a series of longer reports about the boats problem in the Med. The pressure building up in Africa from rapidly growing populations and a huge amount of instability is immense. We only get a small secondary wave from this but the idea a policy in this country is going to stop it is frankly ridiculous.

Other than that the government is waiting for and hoping that inflation is going to fall. It will, but probably more slowly than thought by the Bank (again). The fall in inflation will eventually stop the reduction in real term incomes but any positive trend is going to be modest and has a lot of catching up to do after the last 18 months.

The next pledge was to reduce government debt. Not going to happen. Even if he really meant as a share of GDP very unlikely to happen.

And then there is shortening waiting lists in the NHS. Given the industrial unrest in the NHS with the forthcoming doctors' strikes this again looks out of reach.

It is a pretty modest platform for government and yet the scorecard looks unlikely to be a net positive. The paucity of ideas and ambition is palpable.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

If you are in search of positive news, let me give you some. The country around Sidmouth is currently buzzing with bees and butterflies. I think the decision to keep the grass long and let wild flowers grow in so many meadows, combined with recent rain, has brought them out to play. Not having a clue about nature I could be totally wrong. But I do know they are there because I can see them! Maybe it's only round here, but I hope not.

THere's been much more emphasis lately in leaving meadows alone for the early months to let the insects have a chance. Parallel movement in gardening, too: not being anal about one's lawn (let alone replace it with plastic etc). Mrs C has been of that philosophy for decades and our lawnless front garden has been a chaotic mass of flowers since the snowdrops and crocuses - full of bumblebees and hoverflies, and butterflies. In contrast to the sometimes sterile plastic grass and hard core parking spaces elswehere on the same street.

Edit: even the RHS is in on it, much to its credit.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/lawns/creating-wildflower-meadows
  • Options

It is good news. There is a definite shift now to try to reverse some of the catastrophic declines in habitats for insects, and it does work. We are nowhere near the 70’s bug splattered windscreens yet though. (Although I wonder if that also relates to more streamlined cars?).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

In other news:

If only there was a simple way to locate things within a few metres, perhaps combinations of random words, assigned to a map of the globe. Might be worth investing in tech like that.
    Indeed, but trying to copyright and monetise a list of longitudes and latitudes, is just going to upset everyone.

A good idea? Yes. A good implementation? No. A viable business? Hell no!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Try learning our constitution.

One happens automatically by law, the King doesn't choose.
    The King automatically implements the Parliament Act if the PM hasn't been to see him by January 2025 is the point.

With the end of the FTPA elections can still only be called again by the PM asking the King for one or Parliament voting down the government and not selecting a new PM in their place
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Gordon Brown kept Tory supporters waiting for 5 years from 2005 to 2010, Callaghan kept Tories waiting for 5 years from 1974 to 1979 so Labour supporters can be kept waiting 5 years too for a likely change of government.

John Major also waited for 5 years from 1992 to 1997 so no reason for Rish to call an election in May 2024 when he still has 6 months extra to go if he wants it
    On a point of order, Callaghan was four and a half years - October 74 to May 79.

And he didn't 'keep them waiting,' he lost a vote of no confidence.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

THere's been much more emphasis lately in leaving meadows alone for the early months to let the insects have a chance. Parallel movement in gardening, too: not being anal about one's lawn (let alone replace it with plastic etc). Mrs C has been of that philosophy for decades and our lawnless front garden has been a chaotic mass of flowers since the snowdrops and crocuses - full of bumblebees and hoverflies, and butterflies. In contrast to the sometimes sterile plastic grass and hard core parking spaces elswehere on the same street.
    A chaos of wild flowers and grasses is so much nicer than a perfect green lawn, IMO.

• Options

HYUFD said:

The climate is still capable of bowling the odd unexpected bouncer.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

He'll go October 31st 2024 or November 7th 2024 to really piss me and other political gamblers off.

If you find yourself short of funds for betting, you could sell some of your shoes
This discussion has been closed.