Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ratings blow for Sunak from R&W – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,277
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Even voters who consider stopping unfortunates on boats a necessity doesn't stop them disliking the insensitivity of politicians promoting it. When Michael Howard asked voters to admit to having the same prejudices against gypsies he had they told him where to go. The campaign bombed and so did he.

This is where Sunak finds himself

If Sunak finds himself in the same position as Michael Howard, no doubt we can expect Labour to run racist posters against him.
    Point of order: the Fagin ones were antisemitic rather than racist.
    Come on - antisemetism is racist.
    Jews Don't Count
    The quoting of book titles isn't always acceptable.
    I'm unsure whether you're making a general point, or saying that I've crossed that line

If the latter, I'm not at all sure how

I imagined that Robert, as a very sensible chap, was making the same point as me but with sarcasm
    It took me a while to understand your post. At first sight I didn't. And you can surely see how that's a bad thing.
    I can see that it'd be a bad thing if participants to this site hadn't kept up with UK culture well enough to know that David Baddiel had written that book
    Well I wasn't hitherto aware of it.
    I'm glad to have brought you more up to date

And I'm rather surprised that you haven't heard of it; it's garnered quite a lot of attention in the two and a bit years since it was published
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

Leon said:
    Sooner or later someone will try Singapore-style policies in a major Western city.
    Not much opportunity for middle class flight from social problems in Singapore so they had an incentive to sort them.
    That’s a good point. Maybe these cities are doomed then and people who want something different will have to start again somewhere else.
    That is very much the American way. In part it is why the USA has such a dynamic economy. For every Detroit there is a Phoenix. There is nothing more American than a ghost town, and a boom town in another place. Being on the wrong end of that economy is tough, but there are also fortunes to be made.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    Did you visit San Francisco in the 1990s? I'd be interested to know what it was like at that time compared to now.
    Yes I did. It always had a sketchy area in downtown (the Tenderloin) and a harbourside rawness in other areas, but generally it was a handsome, affluent city in a magnificent location

I haven’t been in 20 years but everyone I know who has been recently says the decline is very real and quite horrific
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Westie said:

Heathener said:

Rishi is pretty awful. An extremely wealthy nonentity who is out of his depth. He comes across as a schoolboy.

In the last week we have seen more chaotic manoeuvring from Suella, an absolute shambles on immigration, and a quite extraordinary announcement about price capping, and there's a disturbing undercurrent in the mortgage / lending market. They are managing the singularly impressive feat of appealing to nobody.

The tories are toast. Everybody knows it. I doubt whether opinion polls will change much right up to the day of the General Election.

Rishi is fine. He's just not good enough to undo 13 years of failure
    This. There’s nothing wrong with Rishi. It’s the rabble he leads and the Tory brand that have meant they have next to 0 chance next year
    The parliamentary Tory party has consisted almost exclusively of obnoxious baying c***s, poshos, a few selfmade men who almost everybody likes to despise, and the occasional barrow boy with a funny haircut, ever since I can remember. We've gone from hug a hoodie to levelling up. That's how out of touch they are, for all their expenditure on focus groups. Almost all of them have complete contempt for the majority of the electorate. But they keep winning elections. I think they'll win the next one too. Immigration.
    No they aren't. In 1997 most Tory MPs had been to private school and Oxbridge, now most Tory MPs have been to state school and non Oxbridge universities.

The Tory Parliamentary Party is much less posh than it was. Labour on the other hand has gone the other way. The number of Labour working class MPs who worked on the shop or factory floor or down the mines is a fraction of what it was 50-100 years ago. While the vast majority of Labour MPs are now middle class and went to university
    In large part down to the decline in the numbers of people working down mines or or in factories any more, so hard to recruit as potential MPs. There are some who have been on working class service industry jobs, such as Rayner.
    I think we need to end the rather comfy benefits MPs continue to enjoy once they're out of office. It attracts a certain class, and that class is precisely who we don't want in our government.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,115
    eek said:

Does anyone know what the average monthly mortgage payment is currently ?

It says £753 here but it references March 2022 so likely significantly higher now.

https://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/uk-mortgage-statistics-and-facts#:~:text=The UK demonstrates a mean,April 2021 to March 2022.

Even so £753 is a huge difference between those who have to pay and those who no longer do so.

Will he other figure it says was that the average mortgage is £193,000 which looking at he Halifax will cost you £1083 at least at the moment.
    Thanks.

Its a lot and with presumably half being higher if that's the average.

Does the average mortgage number refer to the initial value of the mortgage or the remaining outstanding value ?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    Did you visit San Francisco in the 1990s? I'd be interested to know what it was like at that time compared to now.
    Or New York in the Seventies, Los Angeles or Chicago in the Eighties. There has always been a dark side to American cities.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Even voters who consider stopping unfortunates on boats a necessity doesn't stop them disliking the insensitivity of politicians promoting it. When Michael Howard asked voters to admit to having the same prejudices against gypsies he had they told him where to go. The campaign bombed and so did he.

If Sunak finds himself in the same position as Michael Howard, no doubt we can expect Labour to run racist posters against him.
    Jews Don't Count
    I'm unsure whether you're making a general point, or saying that I've crossed that line

I imagined that Robert, as a very sensible chap, was making the same point as me but with sarcasm
    It took me a while to understand your post. At first sight I didn't. And you can surely see how that's a bad thing.
    I can see that it'd be a bad thing if participants to this site hadn't kept up with UK culture well enough to know that David Baddiel had written that book
    Well I wasn't hitherto aware of it.
    I'm glad to have brought you more up to date

And I'm rather surprised that you haven't heard of it; it's garnered quite a lot of attention in the two and a bit years since it was published
    I'm pretty unlikely to read a review of a book, and far less likely to buy one by Baddiel. I've nothing against him, but can see little merit in his thoughts. Football Innit?
  • Options

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Jews Don't Count

@omnium is being an idiot. It’s obvious you were citing a well known book, published recently
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Jews Don't Count

@omnium is being an idiot. It’s obvious you were citing a well known book, published recently
    I'm not being an idiot - I simply wasn't aware of the book. Assuming you take my word for that then you can see why I might have found the post a little untoward.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:
    Sooner or later someone will try Singapore-style policies in a major Western city.
    Not much opportunity for middle class flight from social problems in Singapore so they had an incentive to sort them.
    That’s a good point. Maybe these cities are doomed then and people who want something different will have to start again somewhere else.
    That is very much the American way. In part it is why the USA has such a dynamic economy. For every Detroit there is a Phoenix. There is nothing more American than a ghost town, and a boom town in another place. Being on the wrong end of that economy is tough, but there are also fortunes to be made.
    That was true, and it is definitely the American way. It’s why they are happy to trash places and move on. There is this national feeling that there will always be new frontiers, you go west, you start again, you make a new state out of wilderness

The trouble is they’ve run out of Wild West frontier land, and they are now destroying their great cities - with no new cities to replace them. These latest problems are extreme and brutal
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115
    Canada’s euphemistically-named MAiD programme is perhaps the most dystopian sign of social decay at the moment.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-maid-assisted-suicide-homeless/wcm/5745d9d0-cdd1-41e9-a33f-787ee070ff53/

“One third of Canadians fine with prescribing assisted suicide for homelessness“
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

What is Rishi offering the country?
    I asked this yesterday and received no answer.

He's offering not Truss and not Johnson. But as we saw with the polling, most people consider this Tory Party's period in Government a failure.

Honestly except gay marriage, what have they honestly achieved? They couldn't even overhaul the planning laws to get more masts built!
    But don't underestimate how many people are doing very well.

Its the personalities of Conservative politicians which will bring them defeat not their policies.
    The reason I got the Brexit vote right was that I listened to the kind of people who were disenfranchised by the Metropolitan elite, who were as tone deaf to the problems ordinary people were facing as you have appeared to be in your post. That's not meant to be offensive, I seriously mean it: you are totally out of touch.

Things are bloody hard right now with eye-watering price increases in the supermarkets and horrendous utility bills. And 'affordable housing'? You are having a total laugh, right? Rental prices have rocketed and there's a terrible scarcity. Mortgage costs have been steadily rising and there's a shaky undercurrent at the moment in the lending market. I know people who have lost mortgage deals in just the last week.

No, most people are NOT doing very well. It's really, really, tough.
    Out of touch, or simply demented?

Here’s a word cloud of modern Britain, published today.

https://twitter.com/luketryl/status/1663116848215347203?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg
    I’m not surprised. The constant barrage of negativity from the media ensures that.

Note that I am not implying all is rosy here, but the media have been in full on disaster mode since June 2016.
    Ah, the classic "blame the media" defence, which rather ignores the Brexit cheerleading of most of our press.
    BTW Foxy, thanks for the Leicester tip and commiserations. My best man is a Leicester fan, and I always consider them as ‘my’ second or third side (with Saints), after my beloved Swindon.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

eek said:

It says £753 here but it references March 2022 so likely significantly higher now.

https://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/uk-mortgage-statistics-and-facts#:~:text=The UK demonstrates a mean,April 2021 to March 2022.

Even so £753 is a huge difference between those who have to pay and those who no longer do so.

Will he other figure it says was that the average mortgage is £193,000 which looking at he Halifax will cost you £1083 at least at the moment.
    Thanks.

Its a lot and with presumably half being higher if that's the average.

Does the average mortgage number refer to the initial value of the mortgage or the remaining outstanding value ?
    It’s using the figure in the article you linked so I suspect it’s average initial amount…
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    Or New York in the Seventies, Los Angeles or Chicago in the Eighties. There has always been a dark side to American cities.
    Even New York during the crack epidemic was not as bad as Fentanyl is now - in multiple cities

I get the sense you haven’t been to urban America recently. I have. This shit is new and bad
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    eek said:

As an aside - my 'middle' neighbours (each floor of the building had 2 big flats originally, then a 3rd was squeezed out of some space taken from the originals) moved out the other week. As they were leaving they mentioned that their rent was £750/month. Which for a one-room flat in a 'vibrant' area of the city (as defined by The Guardian) is really quite something. Not even an oven - just a landlord-provided camping stove.

Given the landlord has very clearly paid the mortgage off - it really struck me how much money is being extracted on a next-to-zero-maintenance property.

In a bit of research which I'm sure will shock everyone, googling the landlord reveals endless legal issues. And also that they are related to a local councillor who happens to be in charge of landlord enforcement issues.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,814
    "Timur Kuran
    @timurkuran

Though very unfair and partly unfree, Turkey just had a meaningful election. It may be the last for a while. In his victory speech, Erdoğan vows to keep ruling for life."

https://twitter.com/timurkuran/status/1662905599238066176
  • Options

Leon said:
    I remember the first casual chat I had with a Singaporean student here. He was bemoaning the drug use & junkies he kept seeing. I vaguely nodded and agreed it was a bit of a problem.

He just said "You should execute them all."
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:
    I remember the first casual chat I had with a Singaporean student here. He was bemoaning the drug use & junkies he kept seeing. I vaguely nodded and agreed it was a bit of a problem.

So their solution to those with too many shots is to shoot them?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Jews Don't Count

I'm not being an idiot - I simply wasn't aware of the book. Assuming you take my word for that then you can see why I might have found the post a little untoward.
    I hope you can see now that I wasn’t being at all provocative with my post

And that Robert was a bit with his!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

So their solution to those with too many shots is to shoot them?
    Basically, yes. It was a bit of an eye-opener.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

He's offering not Truss and not Johnson. But as we saw with the polling, most people consider this Tory Party's period in Government a failure.

Honestly except gay marriage, what have they honestly achieved? They couldn't even overhaul the planning laws to get more masts built!

Its the personalities of Conservative politicians which will bring them defeat not their policies.
    The reason I got the Brexit vote right was that I listened to the kind of people who were disenfranchised by the Metropolitan elite, who were as tone deaf to the problems ordinary people were facing as you have appeared to be in your post. That's not meant to be offensive, I seriously mean it: you are totally out of touch.

Things are bloody hard right now with eye-watering price increases in the supermarkets and horrendous utility bills. And 'affordable housing'? You are having a total laugh, right? Rental prices have rocketed and there's a terrible scarcity. Mortgage costs have been steadily rising and there's a shaky undercurrent at the moment in the lending market. I know people who have lost mortgage deals in just the last week.

https://twitter.com/luketryl/status/1663116848215347203?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg
    I’m not surprised. The constant barrage of negativity from the media ensures that.

Note that I am not implying all is rosy here, but the media have been in full on disaster mode since June 2016.
    Ah, the classic "blame the media" defence, which rather ignores the Brexit cheerleading of most of our press.
    BTW Foxy, thanks for the Leicester tip and commiserations. My best man is a Leicester fan, and I always consider them as ‘my’ second or third side (with Saints), after my beloved Swindon.
    Yes, I think the bookies (like our board) thought us "too good to go down" for far longer than was justified. I greened out when Rodgers was sacked, but my winnings come to £750, so pay for my season ticket for next year (£595 this next season).

It's been a wild ride for the last decade, and the most successful spell in our long history. The Championship has 20 teams in it that played in the Premier League, so a lot of interesting rivals. Now Wednesday too.

Of the relegated teams, I think Saints most likely to bounce back, as they have a core of solid Championship players and some talented youngsters. Leicester has a lot of players out of contract, or a year left, and will lose most of our real talent when Maddison and Barnes get bought. Not much obvious in our Acadamy too. Our two best youngsters (Braybrooke and Alves) both got bad knee injuries this spring so will be out for some time.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    Even New York during the crack epidemic was not as bad as Fentanyl is now - in multiple cities

I get the sense you haven’t been to urban America recently. I have. This shit is new and bad
    Modern medicinal chemistry…
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carfentanil
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,779
    Andy_JS said:

"Timur Kuran
    @timurkuran

Though very unfair and partly unfree, Turkey just had a meaningful election. It may be the last for a while. In his victory speech, Erdoğan vows to keep ruling for life."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/29/turkish-lira-plunges-as-erdogan-claims-mandate-to-continue-divisive-rule
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No, I think I was last in the States a decade ago. I don't have much desire to rush back, though have been tempted by Seattle, which has an interesting medical conference next year that I may try to make. After Covid I am rather enjoying face to face meetings again.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Jews Don't Count

I hope you can see now that I wasn’t being at all provocative with my post

And that Robert was a bit with his!
    I feel ill used in this entire affair. I plan to write a book with a title I can unexpectedly spring upon you and thus claim words don't matter.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    I enjoyed SF in the 1990s. It was a vibrant, cosmopolitan place that was a great place to hang out and to work.

Last visit just pre-pandemic was a nightmarish hellscape where people would bump into you to avoid looking at the human shit strewn on the pavements and the victims of drugs and crime strewn beside them.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Yes, I think the bookies (like our board) thought us "too good to go down" for far longer than was justified. I greened out when Rodgers was sacked, but my winnings come to £750, so pay for my season ticket for next year (£595 this next season).

It's been a wild ride for the last decade, and the most successful spell in our long history. The Championship has 20 teams in it that played in the Premier League, so a lot of interesting rivals. Now Wednesday too.

Of the relegated teams, I think Saints most likely to bounce back, as they have a core of solid Championship players and some talented youngsters. Leicester has a lot of players out of contract, or a year left, and will lose most of our real talent when Maddison and Barnes get bought. Not much obvious in our Acadamy too. Our two best youngsters (Braybrooke and Alves) both got bad knee injuries this spring so will be out for some time.
    The championship is going to be interesting next season. A lot of well-supported clubs with big traditions.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Heathener said:

My rent isn't rising because I don't rent.

My mortgage isn't rising because its been paid off.

My pay rise is more than covering price rises.

So is the interest I'm getting on my savings.

While the supermarkets have near continuous 25% off wine offers

And there are many millions of oldies and GenXers similar to me.

As for affordable housing then that is very location dependent.

And full employment gives opportunities for those teenagers who prefer to get a job or training rather than go to university.

Now are there many millions of others who are struggling ?

Of course there are - young southerners with graduate debt especially so.

What we're seeing is a widening difference between those who are doing very well and those who are struggling with little hope.

Which is what I said in my initial comment.

We've likely seen such differences previously but, for example, whereas the 1980s were much easier for the southern middle class compared with the northern working class the opposite situation is now happening. Both surprising and ironic.
    Spot on and pretty much what I saw on my Easter trip to the NE. The whinge crew on here who whine on about Brexit, c.o.l crisis, Brexit , immigration, Brexit.... really need to get out more.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    I enjoyed SF in the 1990s. It was a vibrant, cosmopolitan place that was a great place to hang out and to work.

Last visit just pre-pandemic was a nightmarish hellscape where people would bump into you to avoid looking at the human shit strewn on the pavements and the victims of drugs and crime strewn beside them.
    And apparently it’s declined even further since Covid. The entire downtown is largely deserted
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    felix said:

Heathener said:

And full employment gives opportunities for those teenagers who prefer to get a job or training rather than go to university.

What we're seeing is a widening difference between those who are doing very well and those who are struggling with little hope.

We've likely seen such differences previously but, for example, whereas the 1980s were much easier for the southern middle class compared with the northern working class the opposite situation is now happening. Both surprising and ironic.
    Spot on and pretty much what I saw on my Easter trip to the NE. The whinge crew on here who whine on about Brexit, c.o.l crisis, Brexit , immigration, Brexit.... really need to get out more.
    I was in Scotland last week, and both Aberdeen and Dundee looked very run down. Edinburgh rather better, but I was only in the touristy bits there.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,627
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No, I think I was last in the States a decade ago. I don't have much desire to rush back, though have been tempted by Seattle, which has an interesting medical conference next year that I may try to make. After Covid I am rather enjoying face to face meetings again.
    Foxy, please let yours truly (and Jim Miller) know if you make it to Seattle in 2024.

Might need some free medical advice!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    felix said:

Heathener said:

You live in Spain, and you think you know more about what goes on here than people who live here? Ok.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Any predictions for the Spanish election?

PP/Vox Coalition on current polling. All subject to change. Massive gamble by Sanchez to interrupt the Spanish holiday season!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Heathener said:

I was in Scotland last week, and both Aberdeen and Dundee looked very run down. Edinburgh rather better, but I was only in the touristy bits there.
    You should have gone to Peterhead. You'd never describe anywhere else as "run down" after that.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    New York in the late 70s / early 80s was incredibly creative despite all the problems it was experiencing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Heathener said:

I was in Inverness recently and thought it looked quite prosperous and charming

Hasn’t Dundee always been a bit of a toilet? I apologise to Dundonians if I have unfairly maligned the Verona of Scotland
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    New York in the late 70s / early 80s was incredibly creative despite all the problems it was experiencing.
    Good point. And NYC WAS creative back then. Breeding great art and fine music

That feeling is absent now. It’s just straight up urban decay with no punky upside. So far
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Timur Kuran
    @timurkuran

That's not necessarily undemocratic. He could be planning to die soon.
  • Options
    "Europe | Five more years

Recep Tayyip Erdogan is re-elected as Turkey’s president
    The best chance in a decade to repair its democracy is lost"

https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/05/28/recep-tayyip-erdogan-is-re-elected-as-turkeys-president
  • Options
    Farooq said:

felix said:

Heathener said:

You live in Spain, and you think you know more about what goes on here than people who live here? Ok.
    Why would I care what you think?
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Foxy, please let yours truly (and Jim Miller) know if you make it to Seattle in 2024.

Might need some free medical advice!
    Might take you up on that if I get there.

I find the jet lag tolerable for East Coast conferences, but a challenge to staying awake enough to follow complex research talks on the West Coast. I will probably try to fly a couple of days early if I do, in order to acclimatise. I was wanting to get to the San Juan Islands, as I do like my wildlife.
  • Options
    felix said:

Farooq said:

felix said:

Heathener said:

Don't know, I don't even care what I think.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Modern medicinal chemistry…
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carfentanil
    Christ alive. Much worse than Fentanyl?! Look at the tiny amount required for a fatal overdose. Terrifying

Is this the drug ‘tranq’ which is forcing people to amputate limbs?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    edited May 2023
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Rishi is pretty awful. An extremely wealthy nonentity who is out of his depth. He comes across as a schoolboy.

In the last week we have seen more chaotic manoeuvring from Suella, an absolute shambles on immigration, and a quite extraordinary announcement about price capping, and there's a disturbing undercurrent in the mortgage / lending market. They are managing the singularly impressive feat of appealing to nobody.

The tories are toast. Everybody knows it. I doubt whether opinion polls will change much right up to the day of the General Election.

He’s crap.
    He’s sub-Major, let’s be honest.

It’s only in comparison with the deranged Truss and the flamboyant larceny of Johnson that he seems “fine”.
    John Major seems to come out better with every year that passes after his humiliating defeat in 1997.

In fact 26 years since he left office, Major is still the longest serving Conservative PM since Thatcher and still won the most votes for any PM in history in his surprise 1992 re election victory. He left a growing economy and balanced budget for New Labour and low inflation, secured an opt out from the Euro while keeping the UK in the EU, won the Gulf War with Bush 41 and set the way for peace in Northern Ireland.

Very interesting talk and Q and A by Sir John at the Oxford Union in March here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W3vKLMtRgQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutpaMhsfKE
    I would say this, but I think Major rather spoiled his capacity to be a respected uniter in the party as he has veered ever further into angry europhilia. He is of course entitled to his opinion, and should be free to express it, but he speaks about European issues with the same dull-witted sarcastic barbs (fondly self-imagined to be the height of wit) as all angry remainers do. It makes me question how fiercely really he negotiated Maastricht on our behalf.
  • Options
    "‘All or nothing’: Spain’s Pedro Sánchez gambles on snap election"

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1663243222594748419
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,115
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

That feeling is absent now. It’s just straight up urban decay with no punky upside. So far
    Cheap and nasty urban areas can encourage the creative types.

Expensive and nasty don't.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

felix said:

Farooq said:

felix said:

Heathener said:

Don't know, I don't even care what I think.
    Best riposte of the decade... and clealry true! :smiley:
  • Options
    I've just been having a look through some UCU and their local affiliates' twitter accounts

They're in the middle of a huge pay dispute with their employers, but they're mostly going on about Palestine and Trans

And they've just passed a motion condemning our support of Ukraine

Why the fuck aren't aren't they focussed on education?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Some of us actually live in the US.
    It is not quite the hell-scape you pretend it is.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    I don't understand the Spanish PM's decision to respond to bad local election results by calling a snap general election.
  • Options

I've just been having a look through some UCU and their local affiliates' twitter accounts

They're in the middle of a huge pay dispute with their employers, but they're mostly going on about Palestine and Trans

What precisely is this Ukraine motion?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

A heap of shit?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Leon said:
    I don't know what drug it was, but a few year back I was waiting at King's Lynn bus station (your employers should really send you there...) when a man spent a few minutes trying to get into the toilets. The time was spent with him repeatedly walking into the wall beside the door, even as people passed him to go into the loos. His expression and mannerisms were very zombie like.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:
    I was last in NYC in 2001, and mostly it was OK, but one day I walked a couple of blocks to the west from my hotel, rather than into midtown. After those 2 blocks I was stepping over drunks/addicts passed out on the sidewalk. A lot of cities are like that if you go the wrong way.

On the whole though I don't like American towns and cities much. The great bits there are the wild places. I love the National parks out West.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

A heap of shit?
    Is that the full text of the motion?

My question was genuine.
  • Options

The UCU are (or at least, were when I was in academia) strongest in the Russell Group, by the way. They care much more about research than education.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Impressive record of service.

The final Norwegian P-3 mission is planned for June 30th, ending a 54 year long era.

This is also Major Leif Otterholms (62) last flight before retirement. He has flown P-3s since 1985, the last 20 years as TACCO, logging over 11 400 flight-hours.

https://twitter.com/The_Lookout_N/status/1663235877353537543
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Hoxton before it changed…

I went to a gallery opening there, years ago.

The street was on the dodgy edge of Hoxton hipsterdum. Two large doorman shoved the homeless back from the door.

Inside I was given a brochure. Printer on the kind of paper that requires not merely deforesting the Amazon, but also the slaughter of at least one indigenous tribe, it was a sub-Marxist rant about the evils of Capitalism and environmental degradation

On the back, there was a note from the printer, saying that the brochure was non recyclable.

I drank some more of the vintage champagne on offer, and perused “A Constant State Of Revolution”

Someone had taken the famous Che picture, photoshopped it into the Wahol colour style. Then put it in a very plastic, fake 18th cent picture frame. The eyes had been cut out, and behind them a couple of swirly patterns were revolved by an electric motor.

Yours for only £30k
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,375

Massive irony being, of course, that the area illegally occupied by Russia (including territory of Georgia and Moldova, not just Ukraine!) is far in excess of the area illegally occupied by Israel!
  • Options

Leon said:
    I don't know what drug it was, but a few year back I was waiting at King's Lynn bus station (your employers should really send you there...) when a man spent a few minutes trying to get into the toilets. The time was spent with him repeatedly walking into the wall beside the door, even as people passed him to go into the loos. His expression and mannerisms were very zombie like.
    Sounds like Leon has already been, then?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    A lot (all?) of the ranting about other countries is a form of copium espoused by Brexiters who can’t bear to think of their country being unflatteringly compared to others.

Someone - probably SeanF - will be along soon to claim that the UK must be the best country in the world given the number of immigrants it receives.

Most of these posters have never left Rochdale (or the equivalent), so perhaps can be excused the passive aggressive parochialism.

I’m not sure what Leon’s excuse is, although I note that he never actually seems to be in the UK, and nor does he actually have the kind of job that exposes much you to everyday reality. As he never ceases to tell us.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Farooq said:

Basically: send no weapons to Ukraine, and it's all NATO's fault.

https://socialistworker.co.uk/news/ucu-congress-saturday/
  • Options
    Farooq said:

habibi
    @habibi_uk
    ·
    May 27
    A hideous scene from UCU Congress earlier today.

A Ukrainian victory would mean "subjugation and oppression" by "American imperialism".

"The main enemy is at home!"

The UCU backs the "Stop the War Coalition". It wants Ukraine to be left defenceless.

Foul.

https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1662504649813905409
  • Options

One of the reasons I am not a member. Sadly, in local issues, the union reps I have dealt with do a good job, and HR and managers tread carefully when the union rep is present. But bollox like this turn me off.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I’ve spent several months of the last two years traveling around America. And I’m back again next week

I’ve been to the West Coast, the desert states, Florida, the Deep South and the Rockies, etc

It is fucked in a way I have not seen before. There is still phenomenal wealth and power - but the urban problems are palpable. New Orleans is the 8th most murderous city on the planet, the first 7 are all Mexican cities sunk in the drug wars
  • Options

Leon said:
    Probably Spice
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

He’s crap.

It’s only in comparison with the deranged Truss and the flamboyant larceny of Johnson that he seems “fine”.
    John Major seems to come out better with every year that passes after his humiliating defeat in 1997.

In fact 26 years since he left office, Major is still the longest serving Conservative PM since Thatcher and still won the most votes for any PM in history in his surprise 1992 re election victory. He left a growing economy and balanced budget for New Labour and low inflation, secured an opt out from the Euro while keeping the UK in the EU, won the Gulf War with Bush 41 and set the way for peace in Northern Ireland.

I would say this, but I think Major rather spoiled his capacity to be a respected uniter in the party as he has veered ever further into angry europhilia. He is of course entitled to his opinion, and should be free to express it, but he speaks about European issues with the same dull-witted sarcastic barbs (fondly self-imagined to be the height of wit) as all angry remainers do. It makes me question how fiercely really he negotiated Maastricht on our behalf.
    He got everything he wanted out of his Maastricht negotiations as far as I can see. Perhaps that's why he's angry - idiots throwing all that good work away just to bolster the career of Boris Johnson.
  • Options

Leon said:
    Sounds like Spice. A lot of our homeless are on it, particularly ex-prisoners.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

A heap of shit?

My question was genuine.
    Congress notes:

one year after the brutal invasion, Ukraine has become a battleground for Russian and US imperialism
    it is estimated that 150,000 Ukrainian soldiers and civilians and 200,000 Russian soldiers have died since invasion
    Putin has threatened the use of nuclear weapons and unleashed war crimes
    the 2022 NATO summit committed to a US military base in Poland, a brigade in Romania, air missile systems in Italy and Germany and two additional F-35 squadrons in Britain
    Volodymyr Zelensky says he wants Ukraine to become a 'big Israel'—an armed, illiberal outpost of US imperialism.
    Congress believes:

wars are fought by the poor and unemployed of one country killing and maiming the poor and unemployed of another
    we should say, 'Russian troops out, no to NATO escalation and expansion'
    we should stand in solidarity with ordinary Ukrainians and demand an immediate withdrawal of Russian troops
    NATO is not a progressive force: escalation risks widening war in the region
    only through a peaceful resolution can lives be saved.
    Resolves:

UCU to call upon Russian to withdraw its troops and for government to stop arming Ukraine
    UCU to call for a peaceful resolution to the war
    Congress resolves to support protests called by Stop The War, CND and other anti-war organisations.

But I think 'a heap of shit' was pithier, and summed up the general thrust of it.

Here's a full list of resolutions.

https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/12945/Business-of-the-strategy-and-finance-committee-open-session

On a serious note, the UCU is anxious to avoid talking about employment matters because they would have to admit (a) they spend much of their time making cosy deals with the management and (b) they don't give a fuck about their members and never have since it was formed back in I think 2006.

It's been an utter disaster for universities and their staff, vice chancellors apart, that the AUT and NATFHE merged. Although it has benefitted the Union bosses, most of whom make McCluskey look honest, to an enormous degree.

Long may NASUWT hold out against the Nutters forcing something similar in school education.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I’ve spent several months of the last two years traveling around America. And I’m back again next week

I’ve been to the West Coast, the desert states, Florida, the Deep South and the Rockies, etc

It is fucked in a way I have not seen before. There is still phenomenal wealth and power - but the urban problems are palpable. New Orleans is the 8th most murderous city on the planet, the first 7 are all Mexican cities sunk in the drug wars
    America has such a disparity in income that you get astonishing scenes of deprivation.

Britain is next in the income disparity stakes.
    You should do two months in your own country. There’s no New Orleans, but there’s also a kind of entrenched post-industrial squalor that is hard to find in other places too.
  • Options
    I'm interested which side @bigjohnowls takes on Ukraine

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

The original Spice (when it was legal) was quite mild, like a weakish spliff. But then they banned it and these much more strong versions came out. Oh well.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,530

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

He’s crap.

He got everything he wanted out of his Maastricht negotiations as far as I can see. Perhaps that's why he's angry - idiots throwing all that good work away just to bolster the career of Boris Johnson.
    Not just Major's view, either. A Telegraph hack called Boris Johnson (made up name, surely?) described Maastricht as a "copybook triumph";

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1240178/brexit-news-boris-johnson-eu-uk-integration-maastricht-treaty-copybook-triumph-spt
  • Options

A lot (all?) of the ranting about other countries is a form of copium espoused by Brexiters who can’t bear to think of their country being unflatteringly compared to others.

Someone - probably SeanF - will be along soon to claim that the UK must be the best country in the world given the number of immigrants it receives.

Most of these posters have never left Rochdale (or the equivalent), so perhaps can be excused the passive aggressive parochialism.

I’m not sure what Leon’s excuse is, although I note that he never actually seems to be in the UK, and nor does he actually have the kind of job that exposes much you to everyday reality. As he never ceases to tell us.

Hilarious for the sheer temerity ... or tiotallack of self-awareness.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

One of the reasons I am not a member. Sadly, in local issues, the union reps I have dealt with do a good job, and HR and managers tread carefully when the union rep is present. But bollox like this turn me off.
    I'm gratified to hear good things of a UCU union rep.

The only thing the one in Aber thought about was how he could shaft his members to get a personal promotion.

Yet people were still stupid enough to re-elect him.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

I’m not ranting. I’ve admitted several times that Britain has significant problems, from debt to inflation to our shambolic public services

However, I’m also pointing out that I travel extremely widely around the world (and within the UK, even if you don’t believe me) and that gives me a perspective that maybe others here don’t get. I just see more and I can compare

Many nations are troubled, just like the UK. The globe has recently gone through a calamitous plague, so it’s not surprising. Quite a few have problems which make ours look relatively minor

Brexit is neither here nor there in this wider scheme
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

A heap of shit?

My question was genuine.
    Congress notes:

one year after the brutal invasion, Ukraine has become a battleground for Russian and US imperialism
    it is estimated that 150,000 Ukrainian soldiers and civilians and 200,000 Russian soldiers have died since invasion
    the 2022 NATO summit committed to a US military base in Poland, a brigade in Romania, air missile systems in Italy and Germany and two additional F-35 squadrons in Britain
    Volodymyr Zelensky says he wants Ukraine to become a 'big Israel'—an armed, illiberal outpost of US imperialism.
    Congress believes:

wars are fought by the poor and unemployed of one country killing and maiming the poor and unemployed of another
    we should stand in solidarity with ordinary Ukrainians and demand an immediate withdrawal of Russian troops
    Resolves:

UCU to call upon Russian to withdraw its troops and for government to stop arming Ukraine
    Congress resolves to support protests called by Stop The War, CND and other anti-war organisations.

But I think 'a heap of shit' was pithier, and summed up the general thrust of it.

https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/12945/Business-of-the-strategy-and-finance-committee-open-session

On a serious note, the UCU is anxious to avoid talking about employment matters because they would have to admit (a) they spend much of their time making cosy deals with the management and (b) they don't give a fuck about their members and never have since it was formed back in I think 2006.

It's been an utter disaster for universities and their staff, vice chancellors apart, that the AUT and NATFHE merged. Although it has benefitted the Union bosses, most of whom make McCluskey look honest, to an enormous degree.

Long may NASUWT hold out against the Nutters forcing something similar in school education.
    Yeah, heap of shit was fair, but I like to make my own mind up about these things and I had my doubts it was that bad. Doubts are now gone.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

America has such a disparity in income that you get astonishing scenes of deprivation.

You should do two months in your own country. There’s no New Orleans, but there’s also a kind of entrenched post-industrial squalor that is hard to find in other places too.
    There's nowhere in the UK I would be afraid to walk around in the middle of the night. That's how safe it is. London has had just 4 gun deaths this year, with a population of more than 9 million.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

A heap of shit?

My question was genuine.
    Congress notes:

Congress believes:

Resolves:

Yeah, heap of shit was fair, but I like to make my own mind up about these things and I had my doubts it was that bad. Doubts are now gone.
    It was also an awesome and subtle pun on the word 'motion.'

But given the awesomeness and subtlety of it I'll forgive you for not noticing that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

He’s crap.

If he got such a great deal he should have put it to a referendum, and been confident of victory. Thus avoiding Brexit
  • Options
    The UCU stuff is a part of what Sir Keir was implicitly supporting whilst a member of Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet

He's been impressively consistent in his support of Ukraine since

But who knows how Slalom Sir Keir will respond next?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

He’s crap.

If he got such a great deal he should have put it to a referendum, and been confident of victory. Thus avoiding Brexit
    I see you've started referring to Brexit as something to be avoided.

Well done, small steps...
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m not ranting. I’ve admitted several times that Britain has significant problems, from debt to inflation to our shambolic public services

However, I’m also pointing out that I travel extremely widely around the world (and within the UK, even if you don’t believe me) and that gives me a perspective that maybe others here don’t get. I just see more and I can compare

Many nations are troubled, just like the UK. The globe has recently gone through a calamitous plague, so it’s not surprising. Quite a few have problems which make ours look relatively minor

Personally I don't think it matters how widely travelled you (you, specifically you) are. You are hopelessly addicted to drama and prone to feral exaggeration. Your swings between apocalypse and exuberance are entertaining, to be sure, but you are the least reliable witness imaginable.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Sigh

I have been to Luton, West Brom, Blackpool, east Glasgow, the Welsh valleys, Boro, the far burbs of South London, rough Cardiff, etc etc etc

I know the dreariness and desperation of post industrial Britain. It can be truly grim. But they don’t have the guns, the fentanyl, the homelessness and the incipient race war which makes bad urban America way more dystopian (despite the nicer weather)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    Nigelb said:

Impressive record of service.

The final Norwegian P-3 mission is planned for June 30th, ending a 54 year long era.

This is also Major Leif Otterholms (62) last flight before retirement. He has flown P-3s since 1985, the last 20 years as TACCO, logging over 11 400 flight-hours.

https://twitter.com/The_Lookout_N/status/1663235877353537543

He'll be as deaf as a post having spent 38 years in close proximity to 4 x T56 engines but it's a hell of a career.

The Australian air force had a pilot who was still a QFI at age 66 and had winged 500 student Hawk pilots. A legend in the Hawk community.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

A heap of shit?

My question was genuine.
    Congress notes:

Congress believes:

Resolves:

But given the awesomeness and subtlety of it I'll forgive you for not noticing that.
    I'm flushed with shame that I missed the pun.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The original Spice (when it was legal) was quite mild, like a weakish spliff. But then they banned it and these much more strong versions came out. Oh well.
    I work with a colleague who has access to lots of seized drugs for analysis.
    My favourite ‘discovery’ in recent weeks was a prison sample on paper. The paper yielded two very clean drug samples. Ibuprofen and paracetamol.
    Not much chance of a high on those…
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,530
    Andy_JS said:

I don't understand the Spanish PM's decision to respond to bad local election results by calling a snap general election.

Two possibilities I can think of.

One is that it's downhill from here, and going early saves more of the furniture. But that's how provincial science masters think, not politicians.

The other is to do with the shuffling blocks in Spanish politics. For a while, there were roughly five, plus various flavours of regionist/nationalist. From right to left,

Vox (think Reform, only without the charm)
    People's Party (main centre-right group)
    Citizens (centrist liberals)
    Socialists (centre-left)
    Podemos (left left)

As of now, PP have basically swallowed Citizens up whole, which puts them ahead of the Socialists but still quite a long way from a majority. Calling an election allows Pedro Sanchez to ask three questions.

To the PP: Are you really going to go into government on the back of Vox votes? (Probably answer: yes, and what of it?)
    To the lefties: Do you really want to let the PP in, or are you going to back me? (Who knows?)
    To the centrists: Do you really want to back a PP who will depend on the support of the hard right? (Who knows?)

It's a gamble, to be sure.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Basically: send no weapons to Ukraine, and it's all NATO's fault.

https://socialistworker.co.uk/news/ucu-congress-saturday/
    The UCU can fuck off then
    Indeed
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

A heap of shit?

My question was genuine.
    Congress notes:

Congress believes:

Resolves:

Student politics. With bald patches. At UCL, every now and then the nutters would pass a resolution voting to give money to the IRA or something.

And then several hundred students would turn up and vote all their crap out. While they snivelled about it not being fair.
  • Options
    Leon said:
    I thought the Mail headline for a moment said "Inside Philadelphia's trans hellscape"
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

There's nowhere in the UK I would be afraid to walk around in the middle of the night. That's how safe it is. London has had just 4 gun deaths this year, with a population of more than 9 million.
    Nowhere? You sure about that?
    https://what3words.com/discouraged.names.rules
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Leon said:

This is exactly what i have been saying. We had serious problems in the EU: a horrendous trade deficit, excessive consumption and poor productivity. Funnily enough these problems persist but now they are being blamed on Brexit. It is absurd. What is disappointing is how small the steps that have been taken to address any of these. Covid and Ukraine have undoubtedly made this more difficult but I would like a better sense of purpose and direction.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Being shot is not the mode of death in U.K. cities, though, is it. It’s knife crime. Now most knife deaths will be among toe-rags in the drug gangs etc, but there are still some places that your average citizen might feel slightly wary of visiting at night.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

I don't see quite so much of it round the Leicester homeless as it seemed a few years ago.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

A heap of shit?

My question was genuine.
    Congress notes:

Congress believes:

Resolves:

The subtlety was on a par with the legendary modesty and quietness of dress of a certain site mod.

Is this “motion” an attempt to

1) Make the DfE look good?
    2) Apply for roles as OFSTED inspectors?
    3) Make Dominic Cummings look like an education reform genius?
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Hoxton before it changed…

I went to a gallery opening there, years ago.

The street was on the dodgy edge of Hoxton hipsterdum. Two large doorman shoved the homeless back from the door.

Inside I was given a brochure. Printer on the kind of paper that requires not merely deforesting the Amazon, but also the slaughter of at least one indigenous tribe, it was a sub-Marxist rant about the evils of Capitalism and environmental degradation

On the back, there was a note from the printer, saying that the brochure was non recyclable.

I drank some more of the vintage champagne on offer, and perused “A Constant State Of Revolution”

Someone had taken the famous Che picture, photoshopped it into the Wahol colour style. Then put it in a very plastic, fake 18th cent picture frame. The eyes had been cut out, and behind them a couple of swirly patterns were revolved by an electric motor.

Yours for only £30k
    Slightly tangential but, on the surface, the lack of Guardianista outrage at the Police's arrest of TikToker Mizzy was a bit of a mystery considering he was a young Black man who was criticised for his pranks...

...until you realised that the sort of stuff he did - taking people's dogs and walking into houses unannounced etc - is the unstated nightmare of the Guardianistas who move into such neighbourhoods for its edginess i.e. they come face to face with some of the locals.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

The UCU stuff is a part of what Sir Keir was implicitly supporting whilst a member of Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet

He's been impressively consistent in his support of Ukraine since

But who knows how Slalom Sir Keir will respond next?

Er... SKS can travel in time?

If not, how did he express any opinion about the Russian invasion of Ukraine whilst a member of Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet?
This discussion has been closed.