Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Raab’s future hangs in the balance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056
    By the way, calling environmental protesters “soap dodgers” is hackneyed and predictable. Attack their worldview or their acts by all means but using cliched epithets like that just makes you sound boring, and childish.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Here is an interesting look at one of the less-appreciated aspects of American federalism:

Ranking the 50 State Capitols
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpJn0gn1nc

Personally don't agree with some perceptions and rankings of author of above - for example, think Hawaii, Louisiana and Oregon should rank higher. But he provides an interesting starting point, and is more than welcome to his opinions in this area.

As are you!

My impression is that he paid little attention in his rankings to the INSIDES as opposed to outsides of these state capitols.

For example, IMHO in case of Oregon, the stunning interior filled with incredible murals (and visa versa) more than compensating for the lackluster exterior.

As for Louisiana's "new" state capitol, it's art deco skyscraper looms large over the flat landscape, you can see it for MANY miles driving toward Baton Rouge. And it is an unmistakably phallic monument to Huey Long: the King Fish built it, presided over it, and was assassinated in lobby by the elevators; he died in the hospital next door, and is buried in front of the his capitol, his grave surmounted by a larger-than-life statue of . . . wait for it . . . Huey Long.

BTW (and also FYI) the old Louisiana state capitol building still exists, between the new capitol and the Mississippi River. It was built in 1830s in Egyptian revival style that was popular then; Mark Twain said it was the ugliest building in North America, but most folks (including me) like it way better than that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

PBers who missed the first Nick Palmer’s Swiss Threesome Day are going to be consumed with envy - and entirely mystified. Thousands will claim to have been online for that moment, like the 90 million Frenchmen who claim to have fought in the Resistance

Lol!!

Absolutely, you and I have been on here for God knows how long (too long!) but that is definitely up there with one of the classic moments.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    edited April 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

Just to go out on a limb....

I have no love for Raab. I have no doubt he can be an objectionable See You Next Tuesday.

However, if as is stated he has made people cry because he has ripped the shit out of the quality of work they have produced for him, then good for him. He is at the top of Government. He has a right to expect the very highest quality briefing materials to be available to him. If somebody too junior is put in harms way, that is the fault of the Civil Service. Our top Ministers should not be getting work experience snowflakes briefing them. If he makes Malcolm Tucker look like Mary Poppins, then the Civil Service should expect that - and man up accordingly.

I don’t think anyone doubts he has the right to high quality briefing materials. Any minister in his position would. That right comes with the office, however, an office that does not carry the right to inflict harm on those whose work does not meet the standards he (and I note you’re judging the quality of the hypothetical work without actually seeing it) deems substandard.
    Is there anyone here that has worked closely with the civil service and found their output adequate? I have worked with them and would actively avoid working with them again because they are incompetent...in my case dft and nhs and dfe. I am sure if they are the capable competent people that they claim someone on this board will speak up for them
    If a government has been in power for 13 years in a row and is generally in power 80 odd percent of the time, then if the civil service is rubbish it is not acceptable to simply blame the civil service, it is the politicians job to manage them! Perhaps random bullying doesn't help the situation even if they are rubbish?
    No I am not talking about the civil service on what they are instructed to do by ministers. I am saying whatever they do they have always come across as know nothing incompetents on the implementation side with all 3 departments I have dealt with. More interested in fighting inhouse civil service politics and empire building than actually getting the project to actually work....that is not on politicians. Though I agree politicians are no better.

Perhaps we need a new saying those that can, do it, those that can't become civil servants and become a pain in the arse for those that can do, and those that are totally clueless become politicians
    The point was the government are ultimately responsible for the state including the civil service. They can reform it, even abolish if they wanted to. If it is underperforming decade after decade the politicians are ultimately to blame for not managing it better.

Yet, many Tory politicians, and their cheerleaders on here, love to blame the civil service for the failures of government as if the civil service was an independent entity outside of their control.
    Can any government just say to the civil service you are all incompetent you are sacked? No they can't Ed Balls tested that with Shoesmith who I don't think anyone would claim was competent in anyway shape or form
    Of course they could. Any employer can, if it’s willing to pay out. Ministers don’t because, unlike you, ministers of all parties see all the quality work civil servants do every day. Bad work of course happens too, and is often very visible, but if you don’t accept that a great many complex things in Government run well then you are just a narrow minded fool.

NB: Shoesmith was, of course, local government and not a civil servant.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Snooker promotor Barry Hearn to fund civil lawsuits from spectators who had their evening disrupted by the protester. They’re going to sue the hell out of the soap-dodger.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/snooker/2023/04/20/just-stop-oil-snooker-protests-barry-hearn-legal-action/

I hope they take the little shit to the cleaners, both figuratively and literally.
    A ticket costs, what, £50 and there were 400-odd spectators, so even if they all sue, the bill won't bankrupt the crowd-funded trustafarian.
    “That geezer who jumped on the table, he has upset me,” Hearn told the Sportsman. “I also feel sorry for the project that he claims to represent. He did it more harm than good. But my overriding consideration is that all those people bought a ticket and had their evening spoiled. So I am going to write to the people that missed out and offer to support them, on a no-win, no-fee basis.

“And I am going to suggest they all join me in taking civil action against that young man for the cost incurred in their ticket, their travel, their food. I don’t think people should take the mick, thinking that the poor old punter can just get treated like it just doesn’t matter. I want to send a message out to anyone else who wants to try it – we will do you as well.”

Hearn, who remains the president of Matchroom Sport and had been involved in professional snooker since the late 1970s, intends to personally write to the 460 spectators who were directly affected. “It will be the small claims court and there will be an awful lot of people going,”

It’s interesting to note that the offender has been bailed until June, despite being arrested six times for similar offences in the past year, and already served a week in custody. How many more offences will he commit, between now and his court appearance for this offence?
    The photograph that made all the papers is iconic. A candidate for picture of the year. Just Stop Oil’s chief publicist will be buffing her nails. An absolute result for them.
    Well if she wants the country to believe just stop oil are a complete bunch of twats yes job done
    The message is out there. Job done. Tick, tick, tick.

Everyone saw Just Stop Oil.

I drive a massive gas guzzling SUV.

I thought today: “Just Stop Oil… could we, should we?”

Hmm.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Support for Scottish independence likewise remains the same as it was in last month’s poll, with 46% saying they would vote Yes and 54% No.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/04/20/snp-hit-post-referendum-holyrood-vote-lows

A pretty good article (recommended by Ruth Davidson, no less) on why the SNP may escape oblivion. Despite everything.

https://unherd.com/thepost/sleaze-wont-kill-the-snp-vote/

"This points to an underlying feature of Scottish politics since the 2014 independence referendum, which goes deeper than the story of the day. Research by the British Election Study has found that SNP supporters are more likely to see their party as an integral part of their own personal identity than supporters of any other party in the UK. It’s a little like cheering on a football club: just as Manchester United fans maintain their support despite their loathing for the Glazer family, so many SNP supporters won’t dump the SNP just because the hapless Yousaf is currently in situ."

I think he may be right.Nat supporters are too deeply invested to abandon ship and the country is too divided on identity. Sectarian politics will take some time to be exorcised.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Classic PB moment with @NickPalmer this evening.

Brilliant honesty.

I sometimes wish I was so frank about my life on here, but I lack the courage.

Bravo @NickPalmer 👏

You should try it. No one knows who you are. Total honesty is admirable, brave, uplifting and - as we see today - often very amusing. I have elevated NPXMP several dimensions in my estimation

I doubt that he actually wanted this. But hey. It is the case
    Ha! I think you and Nick are probably the most open posters, perhaps @MaxPB is up there.
    Nick still posts in his own name. Bravo. I am genuinely and properly impressed
    I think it helps that, based on his public appearances and thousands of posts on here, he is clearly just a nice chap. Very hard to dislike him. Disagree with him? Of course. Dislike? Nah.
  • Options

Support for Scottish independence likewise remains the same as it was in last month’s poll, with 46% saying they would vote Yes and 54% No.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/04/20/snp-hit-post-referendum-holyrood-vote-lows

A pretty good article (recommended by Ruth Davidson, no less) on why the SNP may escape oblivion. Despite everything.

"This points to an underlying feature of Scottish politics since the 2014 independence referendum, which goes deeper than the story of the day. Research by the British Election Study has found that SNP supporters are more likely to see their party as an integral part of their own personal identity than supporters of any other party in the UK. It’s a little like cheering on a football club: just as Manchester United fans maintain their support despite their loathing for the Glazer family, so many SNP supporters won’t dump the SNP just because the hapless Yousaf is currently in situ."

I think he may be right.Nat supporters are too deeply invested to abandon ship and the country is too divided on identity. Sectarian politics will take some time to be exorcised.
    Independence for Scotland is a popular movement, a cultural credo. I suspect support would come flooding back for the SNP if they could find a leader that they could rally around: but none have emerged as yet.
  • Options
    It IS a small world after all!

AP (via Seattle Times) DeSantis to travel overseas ahead of looming White House bid

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has announced he will travel to Japan, South Korea, Israel and the United Kingdom as part of an international trade mission, giving the expected Republican presidential candidate a platform to bolster his foreign policy credentials.

DeSantis formally detailed the trip in a statement Thursday, saying, “This trade mission will give us the opportunity to strengthen economic relationships and continue to demonstrate Florida’s position as an economic leader.” . . .

SSI - you lucky UKers! Getting to welcome the Woke-Finder General of the Sunshine State!!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

Sandpit said:

Snooker promotor Barry Hearn to fund civil lawsuits from spectators who had their evening disrupted by the protester. They’re going to sue the hell out of the soap-dodger.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/snooker/2023/04/20/just-stop-oil-snooker-protests-barry-hearn-legal-action/

Hit the trustafarians where it hurts... In daddy's bank balance.
    Marvellous news
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,752
    Interesting; I’d wondered how many missiles they supplied with high end systems like this. They cost several million each.

German defense minister Boris Pistorius just confirmed on
    @maybritillner, that Germany delivered the 2nd IRIS-T SLM system.

He also clarified, that Germany had delivered 100 missiles for the recently delivered MIM-104 Patriot Fire Unit.

https://twitter.com/deaidua/status/1649150430897664059
  • Options
    Saints back on form despite lots of injuries beating Warrington 28 6 . Happy days.
  • Options

It IS a small world after all!

AP (via Seattle Times) DeSantis to travel overseas ahead of looming White House bid

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has announced he will travel to Japan, South Korea, Israel and the United Kingdom as part of an international trade mission, giving the expected Republican presidential candidate a platform to bolster his foreign policy credentials.

DeSantis formally detailed the trip in a statement Thursday, saying, “This trade mission will give us the opportunity to strengthen economic relationships and continue to demonstrate Florida’s position as an economic leader.” . . .

SSI - you lucky UKers! Getting to welcome the Woke-Finder General of the Sunshine State!!

I can almost guarantee enthusiastic, flag waving crowds. It’ll be the Rainbow flag, but….
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

PBers who missed the first Nick Palmer’s Swiss Threesome Day are going to be consumed with envy - and entirely mystified. Thousands will claim to have been online for that moment, like the 90 million Frenchmen who claim to have fought in the Resistance

NPxMP+2♀
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Interesting; I’d wondered how many missiles they supplied with high end systems like this. They cost several million each.

He also clarified, that Germany had delivered 100 missiles for the recently delivered MIM-104 Patriot Fire Unit.

I wonder how standardised the Patriot batteries across NATO are. Could a US donated missile recognise and be fired from, a German standard launcher?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,227

The beardy Muslim thing not going to be a factor?
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I hope they take the little shit to the cleaners, both figuratively and literally.
    A ticket costs, what, £50 and there were 400-odd spectators, so even if they all sue, the bill won't bankrupt the crowd-funded trustafarian.
    “That geezer who jumped on the table, he has upset me,” Hearn told the Sportsman. “I also feel sorry for the project that he claims to represent. He did it more harm than good. But my overriding consideration is that all those people bought a ticket and had their evening spoiled. So I am going to write to the people that missed out and offer to support them, on a no-win, no-fee basis.

“And I am going to suggest they all join me in taking civil action against that young man for the cost incurred in their ticket, their travel, their food. I don’t think people should take the mick, thinking that the poor old punter can just get treated like it just doesn’t matter. I want to send a message out to anyone else who wants to try it – we will do you as well.”

Hearn, who remains the president of Matchroom Sport and had been involved in professional snooker since the late 1970s, intends to personally write to the 460 spectators who were directly affected. “It will be the small claims court and there will be an awful lot of people going,”

It’s interesting to note that the offender has been bailed until June, despite being arrested six times for similar offences in the past year, and already served a week in custody. How many more offences will he commit, between now and his court appearance for this offence?
    The photograph that made all the papers is iconic. A candidate for picture of the year. Just Stop Oil’s chief publicist will be buffing her nails. An absolute result for them.
    Well if she wants the country to believe just stop oil are a complete bunch of twats yes job done

Hmm.
    I thought... sue the bastards, make it hurt them....and posted as such when it happened.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brilliant honesty.

Bravo @NickPalmer 👏

You should try it. No one knows who you are. Total honesty is admirable, brave, uplifting and - as we see today - often very amusing. I have elevated NPXMP several dimensions in my estimation

Ha! I think you and Nick are probably the most open posters, perhaps @MaxPB is up there.
    I think it helps that, based on his public appearances and thousands of posts on here, he is clearly just a nice chap. Very hard to dislike him. Disagree with him? Of course. Dislike? Nah.
    👍

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hmm.
    I thought... sue the bastards, make it hurt them.
    Yes, of course you did.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    Leon said:

Move over, Ed Balls Day.....
  • Options
    There are lots of people on PB who have absolutely no idea how marketing and publicity work.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brilliant honesty.

Bravo @NickPalmer 👏

👍

Leon said:

Move over, Ed Balls Day.....
    🤣
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,470

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It's at times like this that I wish we had California's three strikes law.
    Three strikes leads to absurdities like life imprisonment for minor shoplifting or snooker-related offences, which would not get past the court of public opinion, let alone the ECHR (assuming the police deigned to investigate in the first place). What we sorely need is to cut the problem off at source with a Prohibition of Complete Dickheads Act.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hmm.
    I thought... sue the bastards, make it hurt them....and posted as such when it happened.
    Yup. This guy’s a 25-year-old student, let 400 CCJs land on his parents’ doorstep, and see how that goes. Daddy will have to get his lawyer involved, and Barry Hearn not only has a good lawyer himself, but a vested interest in making life hell for anyone who disrupts his events, to discourage others from doing so.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I can't believe #NickPalmerThreesome isn't trending on Twitter yet. Musk must be suppressing it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561

Dialup said:

Whatever. Cooking delicious freshly caught Black Bream (off Sandown Bay) for the family tonight with a Rick Stein recipe.

Fish laid on a bed of parboiled sliced potatoes with anchovies, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and oregano with chicken stock and saffron.

Can't wait.

Looks delicious, any chance of posting the recipe
    Sure.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/baked-sea-bass-with-roasted-red-peppers-tomatoes-anchovies-and-potatoes/
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated.
  • Options

Here is an interesting look at one of the less-appreciated aspects of American federalism:

Ranking the 50 State Capitols
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpJn0gn1nc

Personally don't agree with some perceptions and rankings of author of above - for example, think Hawaii, Louisiana and Oregon should rank higher. But he provides an interesting starting point, and is more than welcome to his opinions in this area.

As are you!

My impression is that he paid little attention in his rankings to the INSIDES as opposed to outsides of these state capitols.

For example, IMHO in case of Oregon, the stunning interior filled with incredible murals (and visa versa) more than compensating for the lackluster exterior.

As for Louisiana's "new" state capitol, it's art deco skyscraper looms large over the flat landscape, you can see it for MANY miles driving toward Baton Rouge. And it is an unmistakably phallic monument to Huey Long: the King Fish built it, presided over it, and was assassinated in lobby by the elevators; he died in the hospital next door, and is buried in front of the his capitol, his grave surmounted by a larger-than-life statue of . . . wait for it . . . Huey Long.

BTW (and also FYI) the old Louisiana state capitol building still exists, between the new capitol and the Mississippi River. It was built in 1830s in Egyptian revival style that was popular then; Mark Twain said it was the ugliest building in North America, but most folks (including me) like it way better than that.

Good watch! Alaska’s is woeful! I liked South Dakota’s.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,510

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It's at times like this that I wish we had California's three strikes law.
    IIRC, under the Coalition, for a period, the policy of bailing people who were on bail for previous offences was stopped. The habitual criminals rapidly ended up on remand…..
  • Options
    biggles said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder how standardised the Patriot batteries across NATO are. Could a US donated missile recognise and be fired from, a German standard launcher?
    I don’t know - but given they’re all made by the same company, probably.
    Though there have been various Patriot upgrades over the years.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106

I can't believe #NickPalmerThreesome isn't trending on Twitter yet. Musk must be suppressing it.

There could be a TV franchise in it if it goes viral. Get Neil and Christine Hamilton involved.
  • Options
    Lol

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    edited April 2023

Leon said:

On the other hand there is a woman here of about 40 who is dressed like an ageing high class hooker in a brothel. Black pleated mini skirt. Obviously seamed stockings. A top which is like a lacy negligee. Big boobs falling out. Leather bootees

Wtf? Lots of zips and Liz truss jewellery

My guess? An editor for a racy German publishing company heading home after the london book fair. Couldn’t be bothered to change

Or an actual hooker

I wouldn’t know what a hooker in a brothel looked like. Ageing, high class or otherwise!
    I had an adventurous girlfriend in Switzerland (about 50 years ago) who asked what brothels were like. I said "Dunno, shall we find out?" "Oooh, can we?!" she said. So we checked out the "massage parlour" ads in the Basler Zeitung and picked one that offered a swimming pool (?!). We went into a small reception room, and were offered drinks, which we bought and sipped, eyeing everyone nervously as they stood around chatting. Eventually a friendly Swiss girl came up and asked if we'd like to do anything else? We accepted, stripped off for a swim, then went into an adjacent room for a threesome. At the end, we thanked her and paid, she thanked us, and we wandered off.

I've nothing to compare it with, but I hypothesise that this was a very Swiss version. I know that the trade internationally has a deeply seedy underside, so I suppose it should be an embarrassing story, but I'm bound to say it didn't feel nasty - just a pleasant deal between consenting adults.
    Gosh! Not quite as romantic as Jezza and Diane's bike trip beyond the Iron Curtain in 77 but it sounds like a good memory none the less.

Well done Dr Nick! :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Been busy, anything new on the Raab front in terms of detail? Previous info was underwhelming, and being a dick is survivable if it's not too egregious after all.
  • Options

biggles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brilliant honesty.

Bravo @NickPalmer 👏

👍

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hmm.
    Yes, of course you did.
    I did
  • Options

In some parts of Scotland, like Highlands and Islands, yes, most certainly. Not because of prejudice but because of the spectacle of a highy able candidate from their area being rejected because of her traditional Christian beliefs, in favour of an incompetent who professes to be a Muslim and, presumably has similarly socially conservative views but does not choose to abide by them while in pursuit of office.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    kle4 said:

Been busy, anything new on the Raab front in terms of detail? Previous info was underwhelming, and being a dick is survivable if it's not too egregious after all.

Nothing new, though if it were straightforward one would have expected Sunak to have made a decision today (and announced it).
  • Options

biggles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brilliant honesty.

Bravo @NickPalmer 👏

👍

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hmm.
    Yes, of course you did.
    I did
    I don’t doubt it. That is exactly how I thought you’d respond.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Is Raab a bully? Are the Civil Servants snowflakes? I obviously don't know (nor do I care). But the idea that Sunak will have failed unless he applies the judgement of Solomon to this case, as implied by the BBC's Chris Mason, is ludicrous. Imo he should announce that he expects ministers to conduct themselves with decency and good manners towards their staff, keep Raab in post unless the KC found him to have acted quite improperly, and offer the complainants the chance to move elsewhere within the Civil Service without disadvantage. The First Division Association should learn to live up to their name.
  • Options

biggles said:

You're very kind. But really it's the secret of PB - apart from the occasional squabble, we generally all rub along remarkably well. And I expect most of us have a few anecdotes that we wouldn't have shared readily at the time - but 50 years later, who cares, and they may add harmlessly to the gaiety of life.
    I enjoyed your revelation, though I assume that putting this in the public domain means that you have abandoned any hope of being next Labour leader?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Lol

Swing 9% SNP to SLab since 2019?
  • Options

In some parts of Scotland, like Highlands and Islands, yes, most certainly. Not because of prejudice but because of the spectacle of a highy able candidate from their area being rejected because of her traditional Christian beliefs, in favour of an incompetent who professes to be a Muslim and, presumably has similarly socially conservative views but does not choose to abide by them while in pursuit of office.
    The gallant concern of Tory Unionists for Kate is really sweet.
  • Options
    For the man described as the most powerful governor in the US, this must be pretty embarrassing.

Republican representing DeSantis’s former Florida district endorses Trump
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3960706-republican-representing-desantiss-former-florida-district-endorses-trump/
  • Options

The gallant concern of Tory Unionists for Kate is really sweet.
    Think she can probably look after herself TBF.
  • Options

biggles said:

You're very kind. But really it's the secret of PB - apart from the occasional squabble, we generally all rub along remarkably well. And I expect most of us have a few anecdotes that we wouldn't have shared readily at the time - but 50 years later, who cares, and they may add harmlessly to the gaiety of life.
    I enjoyed your revelation, though I assume that putting this in the public domain means that you have abandoned any hope of being next Labour leader?
    It probably increases his chances
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Is Raab a bully? Are the Civil Servants snowflakes? I obviously don't know (nor do I care). But the idea that Sunak will have failed unless he applies the judgement of Solomon to this case, as implied by the BBC's Chris Mason, is ludicrous. Imo he should announce that he expects ministers to conduct themselves with decency and good manners towards their staff, keep Raab in post unless the KC found him to have acted quite improperly, and offer the complainants the chance to move elsewhere within the Civil Service without disadvantage. The First Division Association should learn to live up to their name.

Which, perhaps ironically, is no longer the “First Division Association”.
  • Options

biggles said:

The LibDems or the Greens on the other hand….

Defection alert.
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Changed to the "Premier League Association" in 1992?
    Heh. It’s one of those slightly ludicrous ones where it changed to be constituted at just “the FDA”. A bit like BP - not letting go of the history but no way they ever embrace the acronym again.
  • Options
    GOP leader, who voted to expel TN Three, resigns; found guilty of sexually harassing interns
    Rep. Scotty Campbell resigned about six hours after NewsChannel 5 confronted him about sexual harassment allegations
    https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/revealed/revealed-gop-leader-who-voted-to-expel-tennessee-three-found-guilty-of-sexually-harassing-interns
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Heh. It’s one of those slightly ludicrous ones where it changed to be constituted at just “the FDA”. A bit like BP - not letting go of the history but no way they ever embrace the acronym again.
    Yes, I know - I was an FDA member for a long time. One of those useless civil servants I keep reading about on here.
  • Options

biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Yes, I know - I was an FDA member for a long time. One of those useless civil servants I keep reading about on here.
    But… but… you can spell and everything?! I have been assured on here, this evening in fact, that the Civil Service has less talent than an ITV sitcom.
  • Options
    Not quite up there with rapid unexpected disassembly.

At about 22:00, a massive explosion rocked Russia's Belgorod. Later, the Russian Defense Ministry commented:

"On Apr 20, during a flight of the Su-34 of the VKS ["aerospace forces"] over Belgorod, an abnormal descent of an air munition occurred." 📷Belgorod Telegram channels

(“We bombed ourselves again”.)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

biggles said:

geoffw said:

The very best play for Plymouth Argyle. Rather than Manchester City as they used to in the Golden Age of good governance under Maggie.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    New poll has 64% thinking Charles will be a good King, 59% want to retain the monarchy, 23% a republic. 50% say William best embodies Diana's values, 27% Harry.

50% think it was right Charles became King on the Queen's death, 35% wanted William

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11995197/Boost-King-exclusive-MailOnline-Royals-poll-shows-public-support-Charles-Monarch.html

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,789
    Wearing a face mask is not comparable to wearing gloves, scarves, etc, in my opinion.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,798
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

There are two guys in their 30s wearing face masks IN THE LOUNGE. They are sitting 5 metres away from anyone else. What the fuck is wrong with these twits?

I have a strange desire to smite them

There is something very special about smiting, though what follows is only a serving suggestion and I accept no liability:

Christian, dost thou see them
    on the holy ground,
    how the troops of Midian
    prowl and prowl around?
    Christian, up and smite them,
    counting gain but loss;
    smite them by the merit
    of the holy cross.
    Cain smote Abel and slew him.
    David smote Goliath and slew him.

One thing the Bible is clear on is that smoting is bad for your health.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Wearing face masks is the new religion for some people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New poll has 64% thinking Charles will be a good King, 59% want to retain the monarchy, 23% a republic. 50% say William best embodies Diana's values, 27% Harry.

50% think it was right Charles became King on the Queen's death, 35% wanted William

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11995197/Boost-King-exclusive-MailOnline-Royals-poll-shows-public-support-Charles-Monarch.html

All pretty standard, though the percentage wanting William ahead of Charles to become king remains weird.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    Andy_JS said:

Is it?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I am actually tempted to walk past them and have a fake coughing fit

And risk the Captain pulling you off the flight?
    Ooh, matron !
    Leon doesn’t want an irate guard to toss him off.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Is it?
    No. There are just more people wearing them about in public than used to be the case pre-pandemic. But not all that many. Obviously experiences will vary but I see it so frequently I'd be surprised if it was 1 in a hundred.
  • Options
    The mounties are on the case.

Police investigating gold heist at Toronto airport

Canadian police are investigating a gold heist at Toronto Pearson International Airport, according to local media.

It is unclear how much was stolen, but the Toronto Sun reported 3,600lb (1,630kg) of gold is missing.

That would amount to more than $100m (£80m) of the precious metal, according to the newspaper. It reported that investigators suspect organised crime.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65328968

TL;DR someone's nicked some gold; probably criminals.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sky News: drivers have been warned it's illegal to pick up their phones when the warning sounds on Sunday.

I hope this doesn't cause a lot of driving incidents, with drivers being distracted by the noise.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited April 2023
    Deltapoll poll for Daily Mail.

Q. What should Camilla be called?

Queen Consort 36%
    No title 23%
    Duchess of Cornwall 16%
    Queen Camilla 14%

Shows that Charles couldn't care less what the public thinks.

They want her to look as grand and important as possible so they call her Queen Camilla despite almost no public support for doing so.

And I wonder if the BBC will report this figure during their live coverage of the Coronation? Of course not.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    MikeL said:

Queen Consort 36%
    No title 23%
    Duchess of Cornwall 16%
    Queen Camilla 14%

They want her to look as grand and important as possible so they call her Queen Camilla despite almost no public support for doing so.

And I wonder if the BBC will report this figure during their live coverage of the Coronation? Of course not.

Almost no support? Are we reading the same poll, or do we have different definitions of “almost no support”?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,265

You presume that a Muslim must have similarly socially conservative views? Really?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,265
    kamski said:

You presume that a Muslim must have similarly socially conservative views? Really?
    And you precede that with "not because of prejudice"!!!
  • Options

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I am actually tempted to walk past them and have a fake coughing fit

And risk the Captain pulling you off the flight?
    Ooh, matron !
    Leon doesn’t want an irate guard to toss him off.
    Superb double entendre!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,320
    edited April 2023
    Dialup said:

Dialup said:

Whatever. Cooking delicious freshly caught Black Bream (off Sandown Bay) for the family tonight with a Rick Stein recipe.

Fish laid on a bed of parboiled sliced potatoes with anchovies, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and oregano with chicken stock and saffron.

Can't wait.

Looks delicious, any chance of posting the recipe
    Sure.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/baked-sea-bass-with-roasted-red-peppers-tomatoes-anchovies-and-potatoes/
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated.
    There’s a Moroccan fish recipe based on the similar principle of fish layered on veg layered on potatoes, which with some appropriate spicing has some additional taste. I have it in a cookbook at home but this recipe online is along the same lines:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/fish-tagine-mqualli-with-potatoes-tomatoes-2394681
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Queen Consort 36%
    No title 23%
    Duchess of Cornwall 16%
    Queen Camilla 14%

What was the percentage for don't give a damn ?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Queen Consort 36%
    No title 23%
    Duchess of Cornwall 16%
    Queen Camilla 14%

Other things to call her are surely also available?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Covid infection almost certainly increases the risk of diabetes in men quite significantly.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1649145011764879361

The effect seems to be less strong for women.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    Scottish polling interesting.

Not enough to knock the SNP off its perch but it would be enough for Con-Lab-LD to outvote SNP-Green in a new Holyrood election.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595

Leon said:

On the other hand there is a woman here of about 40 who is dressed like an ageing high class hooker in a brothel. Black pleated mini skirt. Obviously seamed stockings. A top which is like a lacy negligee. Big boobs falling out. Leather bootees

My guess? An editor for a racy German publishing company heading home after the london book fair. Couldn’t be bothered to change

Or an actual hooker

I wouldn’t know what a hooker in a brothel looked like. Ageing, high class or otherwise!
    I had an adventurous girlfriend in Switzerland (about 50 years ago) who asked what brothels were like. I said "Dunno, shall we find out?" "Oooh, can we?!" she said. So we checked out the "massage parlour" ads in the Basler Zeitung and picked one that offered a swimming pool (?!). We went into a small reception room, and were offered drinks, which we bought and sipped, eyeing everyone nervously as they stood around chatting. Eventually a friendly Swiss girl came up and asked if we'd like to do anything else? We accepted, stripped off for a swim, then went into an adjacent room for a threesome. At the end, we thanked her and paid, she thanked us, and we wandered off.

I've nothing to compare it with, but I hypothesise that this was a very Swiss version. I know that the trade internationally has a deeply seedy underside, so I suppose it should be an embarrassing story, but I'm bound to say it didn't feel nasty - just a pleasant deal between consenting adults.
    If only the News of the World had known!
    Lawmaker in sex romp with Swiss miss
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Nigelb said:

Not quite up there with rapid unexpected disassembly.

At about 22:00, a massive explosion rocked Russia's Belgorod. Later, the Russian Defense Ministry commented:

"On Apr 20, during a flight of the Su-34 of the VKS ["aerospace forces"] over Belgorod, an abnormal descent of an air munition occurred." 📷Belgorod Telegram channels

(“We bombed ourselves again”.)

That reminds me a bit of a Mock the Week joke when the theme was "things you don't want to hear from your pilot" and one of the comedians said: "we're not going to crash, we're just landing a bit more vertically than usual".
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Scottish polling interesting.

Not enough to knock the SNP off its perch but it would be enough for Con-Lab-LD to outvote SNP-Green in a new Holyrood election.

Unfortunately still plenty of scope for the SNP to exploit the hostility from Lab/LD to their obvious ally if they wish to defeat independence more than they want to destroy the Cons. The YG poll also shows Labour potentially peaked.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

Don't recall the story ever featuring in his election literature!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    felix said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

Maybe it was too hard to write about?
  • Options
    felix said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

felix said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

Might still be an MP if it had.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

felix said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

felix said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

Disraeli famously warned a very excited aide who had just discovered the 79 year old Palmerston still had a mistress to keep his mouth shut as, ‘if that gets out he will sweep the country.’
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sky News: drivers have been warned it's illegal to pick up their phones when the warning sounds on Sunday.

I hope this doesn't cause a lot of driving incidents, with drivers being distracted by the noise.

I assume phones out of the country at the time aren’t affected?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

felix said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Or an actual hooker

Disraeli famously warned a very excited aide who had just discovered the 79 year old Palmerston still had a mistress to keep his mouth shut as, ‘if that gets out he will sweep the country.’
    NP and the tawdry tale of the giant Toblerone
  • Options

At least he’s the first leader they’ve had for some time that hasn’t been a bit fishy?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    DavidL said:

On topic, the Raab report must be a slightly mixed bag and Sunak has to decide whether it justifies dismissal or not. Clearly, the more serious allegations have not been upheld or he would have gone yesterday. On the other hand I suspect that there are some criticisms.

Sunak's problem is that he does not want a repeat of the Boris/Priti Patel fiasco which seriously undermined the Ministerial Code and cost an ethics advisor. On the other hand he doesn't want to give senior civil servants some sort of veto of who is in his government. And he doesn't need yet another civil service conflict either.

My guess is that what will be announced is that Raab will undergo some training or bullying awareness course but remain in office. Sunak will be accused of being weak and indecisive but that is a price he will have to pay.

I find the 'dithering' accusations a bit pathetic. Sunak got the report at midday yesterday, and within a few hours people were screeching "why hasn't he acted!!!"

Of course, the same people would be wanting full process and consideration if they were in Raab's position and facing similar accusations...

(And don't say "I'm brilliant! It could never happen to me!" It could.)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic, the Raab report must be a slightly mixed bag and Sunak has to decide whether it justifies dismissal or not. Clearly, the more serious allegations have not been upheld or he would have gone yesterday. On the other hand I suspect that there are some criticisms.

Sunak's problem is that he does not want a repeat of the Boris/Priti Patel fiasco which seriously undermined the Ministerial Code and cost an ethics advisor. On the other hand he doesn't want to give senior civil servants some sort of veto of who is in his government. And he doesn't need yet another civil service conflict either.

My guess is that what will be announced is that Raab will undergo some training or bullying awareness course but remain in office. Sunak will be accused of being weak and indecisive but that is a price he will have to pay.

Another factor might be whether Raab's dismissal will trigger a wider reshuffle, and if it can be postponed till the parliamentary recess that starts Friday.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Possible indicator of tactical voting effect ahead of the locals???

New poll tonight from Techne has the Lab lead down to 13 (-2) - narrowing may be continuing.

Interestingly, Con->Lab switchers are stable at 14%, but *11%* of 2019 Labour voters are switching to LD here!

I've never seen it higher than 6% since GE 2019.

Possible Locals effect?

https://twitter.com/Beyond_Topline/status/1649136571919024129

Obviously, more polling is needed before any conclusions can be drawn, but if Labour voters are switching to the LDs in the run up to the local elections that will not be good for the Tories given the seats that are in play.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I find the 'dithering' accusations a bit pathetic. Sunak got the report at midday yesterday, and within a few hours people were screeching "why hasn't he acted!!!"

Of course, the same people would be wanting full process and consideration if they were in Raab's position and facing similar accusations...

(And don't say "I'm brilliant! It could never happen to me!" It could.)
    The investigation and report is due process. That much has already happened. Rishi must have had a shrewd idea of the possible content: the range is not great.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Nigelb said:

Covid infection almost certainly increases the risk of diabetes in men quite significantly.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1649145011764879361

The effect seems to be less strong for women.

The UK study was on cases in General Practice, and does show a substantial spike of new Diabetes in the weeks and months after infection, but it seems to tail off and get back to baseline within a year.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35853019/

Alongside the vascular disease increase afterwards (cardiac rhythm disturbances, blood clots etc), covid now is perhaps best regarded as an infectious vascular disease than a respiratory infection. Whether this remains the case as new variants emerge is yet to be seen.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    DavidL said:

If Raab stays, and senior civil servants resign, it would demonstrate Raab is not effective at his job.

If people won't work with him, he's useless
  • Options
    Good morning

Sunak more popular in Scotland than Yousaf !!!!!

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1649151205371703304?t=ADa4_-H3vBdhYlKoDYP_Cg&s=19
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    MikeL said:

Queen Consort 36%
    No title 23%
    Duchess of Cornwall 16%
    Queen Camilla 14%

People remember that when The Adulterers were first married the public were assured Camilla wouldn't even be given a title when Charles became King.

Slowly but surely we've been softened up by Charles and RF but this pair will only ever be "tolerated" while they're on the Throne IMO, which is why we're seeing a great big "meh" in the lead up to the Coronation rather than any genuine public enthusiasm...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    DavidL said:

Raab on a bullying awareness course would be fun to watch! I wonder how he'd react to it.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    Incidentally (and interestingly, at least to me): Turkey's opposition leader, Kemal Kilicdaroglu, has spoken openly about is Alevi faith.

Alevi is a sect of Islam, fairly closely allied to Shia Islam, which is seen as being generally more open and less dogmatic than either Sunni or Shia - and has hence been long persecuted by both.

This may have an effect on the upcoming election - although it would be interesting to see whether it is negative or positive.

https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2023/04/turkeys-kilicdaroglu-garners-record-attention-alevi-video
This discussion has been closed.