Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polling that should put an end to Johnson’s hope of a return – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    Cookie said:

Cookie - Without checking the stats, sure there are WAY more Episcopalians in USA than in Scotland.

Calling their denomination "Anglican" having gone out of fashion circa 1776 or thereabouts.

And is that the same organisation as the Episcopalian Church of Scotland?
    They are both part of the "Anglican Communion" if that's what you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Communion

Note that as a general rule, members of the AC in nations that achieved independence by more-or-less actively opposing English/British colonialism, are highly likely to ditch "Anglican" as part of their nomenclature, whether or not the adopt "Episcopalian" as a substitute.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

This photo could be a good caption competition. The looks on both their faces are quite interesting!

Putin, meeting Xi Jinping in the Kremlin, says he's pored over China's peace plan to end the war in Ukraine and says Russia is happy to discuss it.

He should be – it basically echoes most of Russia's talking points, which is why it's likely a non-starter for Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1637815217181655041

“For special visitors like your good self, we bring out the extra-small table”.
    Putin looks like one of those Christmas balloons you find behind the sofa in April....
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Endillion said:

AlistairM said:

LOL. Xi is a comedian.

"Next year there are elections and i am sure that people will support you," Xi said.
    https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1637821154818768899

Edit: Not sure if Putin normally looks this way but he looks defeated.

Very naughty, expressing an opinion about another country's democratic process like that.
    If it's not democracy then it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

This photo could be a good caption competition. The looks on both their faces are quite interesting!

Putin, meeting Xi Jinping in the Kremlin, says he's pored over China's peace plan to end the war in Ukraine and says Russia is happy to discuss it.

He should be – it basically echoes most of Russia's talking points, which is why it's likely a non-starter for Kyiv.

Is it me or is Putin shrinking?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,468
    Cookie said:

Cookie - Without checking the stats, sure there are WAY more Episcopalians in USA than in Scotland.

Calling their denomination "Anglican" having gone out of fashion circa 1776 or thereabouts.

Separate but friendly (like all the churches in the Anglican Communion). Episcopal(ian) is sometimes used when Anglican makes the link to England too obvious to be tactful, or a good sell. See also the (tiny) Reformed Episcopal Church of Spain.

According to wikipedia, there are about 3 million self-identified US Episcopalians (1.2 percent of the population) and less than 30 thousand Scottish Piskies (about 0.5 percent of the population).
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

Maybe Putin is just showing the strain of holding his breath for 20 minutes while being so close to another human being - and a Chinaman at that!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

I thought that.
    But according to Google, Xi is 1.8m (big for China) and Putin 1.7m. Which is roughly what the picture shows.
    Google also thnks, however, that Xi is 65kg (almost nothing for a 6 foot man) and Putin 70kg. That certainly doesn't look like the picture.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    AlistairM said:

Come on now, the game's up, we all know you are Leon really.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

I thought that.
    But according to Google, Xi is 1.8m (big for China) and Putin 1.7m. Which is roughly what the picture shows.
    Google also thnks, however, that Xi is 65kg (almost nothing for a 6 foot man) and Putin 70kg. That certainly doesn't look like the picture.
    Google also thinks that Kim Jong-Un scored 12 holes-in-one the first time he played golf. Which is just as believeable.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited March 2023

Cookie said:

Separate but friendly (like all the churches in the Anglican Communion). Episcopal(ian) is sometimes used when Anglican makes the link to England too obvious to be tactful, or a good sell. See also the (tiny) Reformed Episcopal Church of Spain.

According to wikipedia, there are about 3 million self-identified US Episcopalians (1.2 percent of the population) and less than 30 thousand Scottish Piskies (about 0.5 percent of the population).
    All part of the Anglican Communion.

US Episcopalians may be small in number but they are outsized in influence, producing Presidents like George HW Bush, Ford and FDR and Transport Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Senator McCain.

US Episcopalians are also far more likely to have a degree than the average American and have a much higher income on average too

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/04/the-most-and-least-educated-u-s-religious-groups/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/11/how-income-varies-among-u-s-religious-groups/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    Detail of the statement bit more nuanced than headlines. But the fundamental grievance is that EU law shouldn't apply at all in NI without consent. A very high bar, which wasn't explicitly part of their 7 tests. I sympathise with their concerns but...(1/3)

They should have been clear there weren't 7 tests but 1 and its pretty much impossible one to meet with any form of the protocol. Ultimately the implication is DUP will never back any form of the protocol in NI (2/3)

Which then leaves them two choices either they want a hard border on island of Ireland or they want all UK in SM & CU (though May backstop came close & they rejected that). They should be clear of which of these they want to see. (3/3)

https://twitter.com/RaoulRuparel/status/1637813198941220864?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    TOPPING said:

Absolutely amazing podcast The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling.

I note Carlotta and Kini are or were just on - wonder if either has listened to it.

I haven't but I well might. I like podcasts. Sofa, earbuds, eyes closed, I always do them like that, never try and combine with anything else. Total concentration. If something's worth doing it's worth doing properly, that's what my mum - losing it now - used to say and she was right. The last one I listened to was on Iraq 20 years on. After it I concluded that Blair came as close to lying about the WMDs as makes no difference. Which was a change for me since previously I'd been more of a benefit-of-the-doubt man on this.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

"So....Ukraine. Have you seen Butch Cassidy....?"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    AlistairM said:

Some of us don't rely on a table to compensate.

• Options

TOPPING said:

I note Carlotta and Kini are or were just on - wonder if either has listened to it.

Yes - its excellent - Rowling comes across very well and the whole background (and why they wanted "No Debate") is well set out.

Well, they've got a debate now. Ask Nicola.

If you haven't listened to it, Nolan Investigates: Stonewall is also worth a listen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09yjp0d
    And Stonewall themselves are worth a listen.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Come on now, the game's up, we all know you are Leon really.
    Weird how Leon gets more mentions on here when he's banned than when he posts....
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,468

Detail of the statement bit more nuanced than headlines. But the fundamental grievance is that EU law shouldn't apply at all in NI without consent. A very high bar, which wasn't explicitly part of their 7 tests. I sympathise with their concerns but...(1/3)

They should have been clear there weren't 7 tests but 1 and its pretty much impossible one to meet with any form of the protocol. Ultimately the implication is DUP will never back any form of the protocol in NI (2/3)

Which then leaves them two choices either they want a hard border on island of Ireland or they want all UK in SM & CU (though May backstop came close & they rejected that). They should be clear of which of these they want to see. (3/3)

It may be uncharitable, but I suspect we all know what many DUP supporters were hoping to achieve via Brexit, and it wasn't for the UK to stay in the SM and CU.

But now that the celebrated unicorn has turned out to be another donkey with an icecream cone taped to its nose, what do we all do?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960

Weird how Leon gets more mentions on here when he's banned than when he posts....

The legend is not as irritating as the man himself
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Scott_xP said:

The legend is not as irritating as the man himself
    Saith the expert.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

It may be uncharitable, but I suspect we all know what many DUP supporters were hoping to achieve via Brexit, and it wasn't for the UK to stay in the SM and CU.

But now that the celebrated unicorn has turned out to be another donkey with an icecream cone taped to its nose, what do we all do?
    I don't think the DUP know what they want from Brexit - because if their aim is for NI to be a permanent part of the UK they needed us to remain within the EU..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

No surprises they managed to find something other than their tests.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,183
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

I thought that.
    Putin is 1.7M tall.

Presumably standing on a crate.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I haven't but I well might. I like podcasts. Sofa, earbuds, eyes closed, I always do them like that, never try and combine with anything else. Total concentration. If something's worth doing it's worth doing properly, that's what my mum - losing it now - used to say and she was right. The last one I listened to was on Iraq 20 years on. After it I concluded that Blair came as close to lying about the WMDs as makes no difference. Which was a change for me since previously I'd been more of a benefit-of-the-doubt man on this.
    You'd enjoy it. The premise of it was much as you expect but they place everything in context about the current "trans debate", and is not lightly called Witch Hunt - ie don't take from that that JKR has been wholly unfairly targeted, nor that the trans issue is necessarily the only factor in the process.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

I thought that.
    I'm a buyer of 65kg for Xi. His muscle/fat ratio would need to be highly abnormal for him to only weigh that much.
  • Options

Not sure if the DUP are now to be pitied or just laughed at. Having passed the Demographic Event Horizon they find themselves the second party to Sinn Fein, which means that they have to refuse to convene Stormont unless a future election restores them to primacy.

They cling to the idea that they are the democratic voice of NI - and they no longer are. Once the election does come I suspect their vote will collapse, with an even bigger movement to pro-sanity parties like Alliance and the UUP, with their biggest bowler-hatted twats heading to TUV if they haven't done already.

If the deal was terrible for NI then perhaps some would give them some credit for their absolutism. Yet the deal is mega for NI and the majority they claim to be representing can see this and say so very clearly.

In the bin they go.
    The DUP had no choice but to oppose the Deal to prevent hardliner leakage to TUV.

However yes they also risk leaking moderate Unionists to the UUP and Alliance
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited March 2023
    Does anyone believe the Greens are only 7 points behind the Conservatives, 20% versus 13%?

Survation's latest poll puts the Tories on 32% and the Greens on 2%.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

In their heart of hearts some hardliners within the DUP and TUV would probably welcome razor wire and watchtowers at the Irish border, albeit they obviously cannot say so publicly
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,315
    AlistairM said:

"You can't sing, you can't play, you look awful... You'll go a long way!"
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kinabalu said:

RMT accept deal.

But the DUP don't.
    Yebbut they're off the rails that lot!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,635
    At 2 pm I settled down with a pint of tea and two hot cross buns to enjoy the Boris show only to find out I was 2 days early. Very disappointed.

On another topic I am hoping (waiting for confirmation) that I have just got my first gig as an extra in a film.

The joys of retirement.
  • Options

Campaigning for Brexit then opposing all realistic forms of it that don't lead to a hard border in Ireland - these are the actions of people who quite fancy that hard border in Ireland.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    Putins legs in that photo...he must be bedridden....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone believe the Greens are only 7 points behind the Conservatives, 20% versus 13%?

Gold Standard Survation who got the 2019 election and 2017 and 2015 elections spot on, the latter when others didn't.

Or Matt Goodwins new untested polling company, which likes dramatic headlines. A tough one who is most likely to be accurate?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Andy_JS said:

The polls are just silly at the moment
  • Options
    kjh said:

At 2 pm I settled down with a pint of tea and two hot cross buns to enjoy the Boris show only to find out I was 2 days early. Very disappointed.

On another topic I am hoping (waiting for confirmation) that I have just got my first gig as an extra in a film.

The joys of retirement.

That actually sounds quite thrilling. See if you can stand out in the scenes you're in by doing something that draws the eye.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641

Andy_JS said:

The polls are just silly at the moment
    It’s good evidence they’re not clustering.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Not sure if the DUP are now to be pitied or just laughed at. Having passed the Demographic Event Horizon they find themselves the second party to Sinn Fein, which means that they have to refuse to convene Stormont unless a future election restores them to primacy.

They cling to the idea that they are the democratic voice of NI - and they no longer are. Once the election does come I suspect their vote will collapse, with an even bigger movement to pro-sanity parties like Alliance and the UUP, with their biggest bowler-hatted twats heading to TUV if they haven't done already.

If the deal was terrible for NI then perhaps some would give them some credit for their absolutism. Yet the deal is mega for NI and the majority they claim to be representing can see this and say so very clearly.

In the bin they go.
    I hope you’re right.
  • Options
    kjh said:

The joys of retirement.

The 2 hours early, the tea and the buns all suggest the time on your hands may be a little extra in itself!
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Penddu2 said:

As much as I'd like that to be the case he did stand up for almost 2 hours non-stop last month whilst he wittered on for his state of the nation speech.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

"Well, Vladimir, now that you have all your carpenters shoring up trenches in Ukraine I guess you will have to get used to small tables."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.
    The DUP had no choice but to oppose the Deal to prevent hardliner leakage to TUV.

So they did have a choice and they made the wrong one.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

Yes, thighs not pushing against the trousers even though the trousers are narrow.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Yes - its excellent - Rowling comes across very well and the whole background (and why they wanted "No Debate") is well set out.

If you haven't listened to it, Nolan Investigates: Stonewall is also worth a listen:

They used to be - I supported them for many years.

Sadly they've lost their way and their recent behaviour has been poor.
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

Of course they had a choice. You start off with what is best for the people you represent. In no scenario with any community is a hard border on the Island best for anyone. Yet that is the unspoken destination of what the DUP espouse.

The comedy here is that they may well head off the challenge from the TUV. And find that the nutter vote is pretty much all they have left.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Penddu2 said:

Yes, thighs not pushing against the trousers even though the trousers are narrow.
    He's supposedly ridden with cancer isn't he?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,723
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

You'd enjoy it. The premise of it was much as you expect but they place everything in context about the current "trans debate", and is not lightly called Witch Hunt - ie don't take from that that JKR has been wholly unfairly targeted, nor that the trans issue is necessarily the only factor in the process.
    Andrew Doyle picked up the analogy in his book The New Puritans.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    AlistairM said:

Penddu2 said:

As much as I'd like that to be the case he did stand up for almost 2 hours non-stop last month whilst he wittered on for his state of the nation speech.
    You assume that was actually Putin
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
    @robfordmancs: RT @james_carroll: 47% of Conservative voters think Boris Johnson knowingly misled Parliament (YouGov) https://twitter.com/james_carroll/status/1637840008869552128/photo/1
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

US Episcopalians may be small in number but they are outsized in influence, producing Presidents like George HW Bush, Ford and FDR and Transport Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Senator McCain.

US Episcopalians are also far more likely to have a degree than the average American and have a much higher income on average too

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/04/the-most-and-least-educated-u-s-religious-groups/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/11/how-income-varies-among-u-s-religious-groups/
    Their only purpose now, it seems to litigate over the ownership of church assets with departing congregations.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

Of course they had a choice. You start off with what is best for the people you represent. In no scenario with any community is a hard border on the Island best for anyone. Yet that is the unspoken destination of what the DUP espouse.

The comedy here is that they may well head off the challenge from the TUV. And find that the nutter vote is pretty much all they have left.
    Watching the DUP disappear down the electoral pan might be useful lesson for the more frothing Tories* about finding the right moment to get off the Brexit absolutism bus and seeking out the right level of long-term co-operation.

(* And Labour tbh, though I suspect the answer for them is 10 mins after the next election)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No surprises they managed to find something other than their tests.
    They'll say to their constituency that they did their best, before returning to the Executive by stages. The important thing, from their POV is to keep the TUV vote below 9%, the level at which that party could win seats off them. Below that figure, they can expect to pick up loads of transfers from TUV voters.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,723

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

They used to be - I supported them for many years.

Sadly they've lost their way and their recent behaviour has been poor.
    Listen to Iain Anderson from Stonewall being skewered by a surprisingly combative Nick Robinson (Political Thinking podcast).
  • Options

felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

Watching the DUP disappear down the electoral pan might be useful lesson for the more frothing Tories* about finding the right moment to get off the Brexit absolutism bus and seeking out the right level of long-term co-operation.

(* And Labour tbh, though I suspect the answer for them is 10 mins after the next election)
    I'd far rather the UUP replaced the DUP, but between the latter and TUV, they have the backing of 30%, similar to the number who back Sinn Fein. The rise in Alliance's support has been achieved by cannibalising the vote of other centrist parties.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,507
    I was struck by this thought, on seeing that photo of Putin and Xi; That is, I think it safe to assume, an official photo, approved for release by some official.

Three questions: Was that the best photo they had? Did that official take a chance and approve the worst one? Did Putin himself choose that photo, for whatever weird reason?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

kinabalu said:

Penddu2 said:

I'm skeptical about that but there's no denying he looks a bit peeky there.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

The joys of retirement.

That actually sounds quite thrilling. See if you can stand out in the scenes you're in by doing something that draws the eye.
    I suspect if I start juggling in the background this might not only be my first gig, but my last as well.

Not long before I can have another go at the motor racing. I definitely brake too early and go around the bends too slow so I am going to ask for some lessons.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

I thought that.
    Putin is 1.7M tall.

Maybe a coffin?
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 783

kinabalu said:

Penddu2 said:

Never put much stock in those rumours, but he doesn't look like a well man in the picture.
  • Options
    felix said:

kjh said:

The joys of retirement.

The 2 hours early, the tea and the buns all suggest the time on your hands may be a little extra in itself!
    Not 2 hours early, but 2 days early. If you are going to do something wrong, do it wrong properly.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

Their only purpose now, it seems to litigate over the ownership of church assets with departing congregations.
    Some anti homosexual marriage hardliners and evangelicals have gone to the Anglican Church in North America in GAFCON as the US Episcopalian Church has gone for allowing full homosexual marriage in its churches rather than just blessings for homosexual couples as the Church of England has.

However it still has a lot of assets, the Episcopalian Trinity Church in Manhattan alone has $6 billion under its control

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Church_(Manhattan)
  • Options

I was struck by this thought, on seeing that photo of Putin and Xi; That is, I think it safe to assume, an official photo, approved for release by some official.

Three questions: Was that the best photo they had? Did that official take a chance and approve the worst one? Did Putin himself choose that photo, for whatever weird reason?

That's a good question. They surely take loads so why not pick one where his gaze is raised, his posture straight, and his legs more assertive?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,507
    Credit where due: Recently, the local Episcopalian church held a fund raiser for humanitarian relief for Ukraine. https://www.stjohnskirkland.org/
    (I missed the services, but stopped by their office a few days ago and gave them a few bucks.)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@robfordmancs: RT @james_carroll: 47% of Conservative voters think Boris Johnson knowingly misled Parliament (YouGov) https://twitter.com/james_carroll/status/1637840008869552128/photo/1

And pretty much 100% of the rest?

He's toast.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Penddu2 said:

So who was the bloke who went to Mariupol yesterday? Double?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

I thought that.
    Putin is 1.7M tall.

Maybe a coffin?
    I see Medvedev was going for the bat-shit crazy Putin legacy vote by saying the ICC in The Hague was a piece of shit and he'd slam a hypersonic missile into it...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,791

Scott_xP said:

And pretty much 100% of the rest?

He's toast.
    That implies a smaller percentage of Tory Party *members*, though. So depends who is doing the toasting, esp. if Mr Sunak gets dropped butter side down, so to speak.
  • Options
    She was supposedly the Attorney General. And yet here she is attacking opposition MPs with details of a case which is sub judice...

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1637827525412790274
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Penddu2 said:

His "Kagemusha With A Jowl"....
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

Although everyone now hates Boris rock hard Brexit- including Sunak and the Tory MPs who installed him in a job despite him losing a democratic election for it - for all their other faults the DUP are at least absolutely correct in two important points at the heart of a deal they are being bounced into accepting. Anyone who thinks there is a real handbreak in this deal for NI politicians is ignorant, anyone who thinks the ability of EU to apply new EU law and regulation on NI is the same Brexit as mainland UK is also ignorant.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

She was supposedly the Attorney General. And yet here she is attacking opposition MPs with details of a case which is sub judice...

Is it sub judice? Hoyle said "he's appealing his sentence" so presumably saying "he went on to murder in the UK" is now legally-accepted fact?
  • Options

felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

Although everyone now hates Boris rock hard Brexit- including Sunak and the Tory MPs who installed him in a job despite him losing a democratic election for it - for all their other faults the DUP are at least absolutely correct in two important points at the heart of a deal they are being bounced into accepting. Anyone who thinks there is a real handbreak in this deal for NI politicians is ignorant, anyone who thinks the ability of EU to apply new EU law and regulation on NI is the same Brexit as mainland UK is also ignorant.
    Sure. The problem for the DUP is that (a) the deal is very popular in NI and (b) the deal is obviously delivering for NI. So their pitch is that they must make everything much worse than it is now.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,215

Is it really a breach of the sub judice rules to call him a murderer just because an appeal of sentence has been allowed? He is not denying his guilt.
  • Options

felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

2016 vote in NI:

Remain 56%
    Leave 44%
  • Options

In the bin they go.
    As rude and ignorant a post as one ever posted.

For people to dislike Brexit, and love every little win over it, nothing necessarily wrong in that. But where a hatred detaches someone from reality, to where you can no longer be fair and honest where it is due, that is quite wrong.

You saying there is a real working handbrake in this deal?

You saying the WF allowing new EU law and regulation north of the border the same as south of the border, and so very different than mainland UK, isn’t something for a Northern Ireland Unionist party to be concerned about?
  • Options

felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

Sure. The problem for the DUP is that (a) the deal is very popular in NI and (b) the deal is obviously delivering for NI. So their pitch is that they must make everything much worse than it is now.
    Hence pretending they actually think there's another way.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    A question about Trump's potential alleged arrest;

If, as is rumoured, Trump gets arrested tomorrow, and he resists arrest, how would - and should - his secret service bodyguard handle it?

This must be a fairly unprecedented situation, at least in modern times?
  • Options

In the bin they go.

For people to dislike Brexit, and love every little win over it, nothing necessarily wrong in that. But where a hatred detaches someone from reality, to where you can no longer be fair and honest where it is due, that is quite wrong.

You saying the WF allowing new EU law and regulation north of the border the same as south of the border, and so very different than mainland UK, isn’t something for a Northern Ireland Unionist party to be concerned about?
    Always one of life's highlights being branded rude and ignorant by your good self. I called the DUP and their voters "bowler-hatted twats" - you aren't making a point by calling something that was deliberately rude as rude.

Of course there is no handbrake. The DUP refuse to reconvene Stormont as they will not serve under Sinn Fein. And they will do anything to excuse that and pretend otherwise. But again, if the border isn't in the Irish Sea then it is on the island. Perhaps the DUP could simply say that is their hope and do us all a favour.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

In the bin they go.

Given how much they say they hate what is there now? It is a concern they have to be realistic about.

Unless they are more concerned with being grievance mongers who then cry foul whenever someone criticises their positions.

They cannot have it both ways, if they are grown up politicians people can strongly disagree with them without them getting on a bloody high horse about it. But they want special treatment to be due to them. Anyone who dates criticise them just doesn't understand the poor darlings, being rude. Well politics can be blunt, they know that very well.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

The joys of retirement.

I suspect if I start juggling in the background this might not only be my first gig, but my last as well.

Not long before I can have another go at the motor racing. I definitely brake too early and go around the bends too slow so I am going to ask for some lessons.
    Ah yes you'll have to be subtle or the director will bin you. But it's possible to shine if you happen to have that 'je ne sais pas' which some people do have. Eg Steve McQueen as a relative unknown and not meant to be the star hogged scenes in The Magnificent Seven by fiddling with his stetson while James Coburn was talking. Audiences found themselves ignoring Coburn and watching McQueen and his hat.

But anyway, being an extra in a film sounds an enjoyable prospect. Good luck with it and also the motor racing. Which talking (as we were) of Steve McQueen, he was massively into.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    carnforth said:

Is it really a breach of the sub judice rules to call him a murderer just because an appeal of sentence has been allowed? He is not denying his guilt.
    Yes.,

https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/section/5176/matters-sub-judice/
    ...Cases in which proceedings are active in the United Kingdom courts, including courts martial, coroners' courts and fatal accident inquiries, may not be referred to in any motion, debate, question or supplementary question. In criminal matters, proceedings are active when a charge has been brought or a summons to appear has been issued or, in Scotland, a warrant to cite has been granted, until the proceedings are concluded by verdict and sentence or discontinuance or, in cases dealt with by courts martial, after the conclusion of the mandatory post-trial review. In civil matters, proceedings are active when arrangements for the hearing, such as setting down a case for trial, have been made, until the proceedings are ended by judgment or discontinuance. Appellate proceedings (whether criminal or civil) are active from the time when they are commenced by application for leave to appeal or by notice of appeal until ended by judgment or discontinuance.

The rules governing sub judice are subject to the proviso that, where a ministerial decision is in question, or where in the opinion of the Lord Speaker a case concerns issues of national importance such as the economy, public order or the essential services, reference to the issues or the case may be made. The Lord Speaker must be given at least 24 hours' notice of any proposal to refer to a matter which is sub judice. The exercise of the Lord Speaker's discretion may not be challenged in the House...
  • Options

New thread

• Options

In the bin they go.

Always one of life's highlights being branded rude and ignorant by your good self. I called the DUP and their voters "bowler-hatted twats" - you aren't making a point by calling something that was deliberately rude as rude.

Of course there is no handbrake. The DUP refuse to reconvene Stormont as they will not serve under Sinn Fein. And they will do anything to excuse that and pretend otherwise. But again, if the border isn't in the Irish Sea then it is on the island. Perhaps the DUP could simply say that is their hope and do us all a favour.
    Be more honest for a start.
  • Options

felix said:

HYUFD said:

In the bin they go.

2016 vote in NI:

Remain 56%
    Leave 44%
    But that means nothing Sunil, because it’s how the the WF in action plays out over say 20 years in relation to NI laws decided in Westminster not Brussels, that is central to the dispute.

I’ll go further than that, despite what you posted I don’t believe DUP have anything near 44% support in NI for their stand. But that doesn’t mean they are incapable of having relevant point of concern, does it?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Yes.,

...Cases in which proceedings are active in the United Kingdom courts, including courts martial, coroners' courts and fatal accident inquiries, may not be referred to in any motion, debate, question or supplementary question. In criminal matters, proceedings are active when a charge has been brought or a summons to appear has been issued or, in Scotland, a warrant to cite has been granted, until the proceedings are concluded by verdict and sentence or discontinuance or, in cases dealt with by courts martial, after the conclusion of the mandatory post-trial review. In civil matters, proceedings are active when arrangements for the hearing, such as setting down a case for trial, have been made, until the proceedings are ended by judgment or discontinuance. Appellate proceedings (whether criminal or civil) are active from the time when they are commenced by application for leave to appeal or by notice of appeal until ended by judgment or discontinuance.

The rules governing sub judice are subject to the proviso that, where a ministerial decision is in question, or where in the opinion of the Lord Speaker a case concerns issues of national importance such as the economy, public order or the essential services, reference to the issues or the case may be made. The Lord Speaker must be given at least 24 hours' notice of any proposal to refer to a matter which is sub judice. The exercise of the Lord Speaker's discretion may not be challenged in the House...
    You could read that either way, surely? The proceedings have been concluded, he's just appealed the conclusion (I am not a lawyer).
  • Options
    Driver said:

Is it sub judice? Hoyle said "he's appealing his sentence" so presumably saying "he went on to murder in the UK" is now legally-accepted fact?
    Erskine May:
    "Appellate proceedings (whether criminal or civil) are active from the time when they are commenced by application for leave to appeal or by notice of appeal until ended by judgment or discontinuance."
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

The joys of retirement.

Ah yes you'll have to be subtle or the director will bin you. But it's possible to shine if you happen to have that 'je ne sais pas' which some people do have. Eg Steve McQueen as a relative unknown and not meant to be the star hogged scenes in The Magnificent Seven by fiddling with his stetson while James Coburn was talking. Audiences found themselves ignoring Coburn and watching McQueen and his hat.

But anyway, being an extra in a film sounds an enjoyable prospect. Good luck with it and also the motor racing. Which talking (as we were) of Steve McQueen, he was massively into.
    Yes I'm often mistaken for Steve McQueen.

If only that were true. Since my hair turned grey I am now told I look like Boris.
  • Options

If, as is rumoured, Trump gets arrested tomorrow, and he resists arrest, how would - and should - his secret service bodyguard handle it?

Not their job to prevent the government from carrying out its duty, I assume. But then lots of people believe an ex president should be immune to the law (a step up from saying he is innocent), so who knows how they see that duty.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Yes.,

You could read that either way, surely? The proceedings have been concluded, he's just appealed the conclusion (I am not a lawyer).
    In the passage quoted, "Appellate" means relating to an appeal.
  • Options

In the bin they go.
    As rude and ignorant a post as one ever posted...
    You've every right to disagree with Rochdale's post, but you've been here long enough now to know that isn't even close to true.
  • Options
    Chris said:

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

Yes.,

In the passage quoted, "Appellate" means relating to an appeal.
    Ah, didn't see that passage. Thanks. I would amend this to exclude appeals of sentence alone.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Penddu2 said:

I don't think so. He also looked a bit peeky. The double would be the one who looks ok and does the big rallies in Moscow.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    kle4 said:

Not their job to prevent the government from carrying out its duty, I assume. But then lots of people believe an ex president should be immune to the law (a step up from saying he is innocent), so who knows how they see that duty.
    AIUI (and IANAE, etc, etc) they are there to protect him. If he resists arrest, what would their duties be if it turns into a scrap?

I'd *assume* that there have been conversations between the secret service and the relevant officials already... hopefully.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

WRT Anglican Communion, the meaning of 'Communion' historically is that it identifies a body all of whom recognise fully each others' sacraments and ordained ministries. They are interchangeable.

This is not longer true of the Anglican communion (global) or even the Church of England (basically just England). Especially the ordination of women issue but also the gay issue has meant that not all Anglicans have to recognise the ministry of all other Anglicans. This is now several decades old.

As a result in England bishops come in 3 flavours, and each parish can choose. Most have the diocesan bishop, as ever, as their bishop bit hundreds of parishes choose to have an ultra low church alternative or an ultra high church alternative according to taste and conviction.

In the long run this is not sustainable, and it is not a communion. Which is sad.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Coincidentally, today there's a new Ukrainian media blackout over a lot of the front, with access for journalists rescinded.

The tempo of #Russian offensive operations across the theater has slowed in recent weeks, suggesting that the Russian spring offensive in #Donbas may be nearing culmination.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1637647729613586434

I do wonder if, after all the bloodshed there, the Ukrainian push will just by-pass Bakhmut and leave it to be mopped up later? Just to seal the futility of the whole damned Russian exercise.

I guess the Russians claiming to have knocked out 67 Leopard 2 tanks on the first day will tell us when they have entered the war for the Ukrainians - and thatthe new push has started.
    I've absolutely no idea what, but something is up.
    I hereby and forthwith appoint you Admiral-Major-General of the 11th Chairborne Hussars.
    Merely wondrin 'n guessin'....

But today is the spring equinox. Which might be an obvious day to launch a Spring offensive.
  • Options

In the bin they go.

That’s a bit better from you. I don’t dispute they may be bowler hatted twats. Or worse. But that doesn’t mean they are not being bounced, into, yes, as Sunak explained, all the wonderful benefits of being in the EU single market, but at the costs of whilst they want to remain part of the United Kingdom, they will have EU law imposed upon them without being able to do anything about it, so they divulge in the coming years from mainland UK and closer to ROI.

Let me put it like this. It’s like watching something murdered in front of you, but you are justifying it as okay on basis they weren’t a very good person. Where’s your sense of morality and fairness?
  • Options

In the bin they go.

That’s a bit better from you. I don’t dispute they may be bowler hatted twats. Or worse. But that doesn’t mean they are not being bounced, into, yes, as Sunak explained, all the wonderful benefits of being in the EU single market, but at the costs of whilst they want to remain part of the United Kingdom, they will have EU law imposed upon them without being able to do anything about it, so they divulge in the coming years from mainland UK and closer to ROI.

Let me put it like this. It’s like watching something murdered in front of you, but you are justifying it as okay on basis they weren’t a very good person. Where’s your sense of morality and fairness?
    Morality and fairness? NI voted to remain in the EU. NI supported the protocol. NI supports the WF. What is fair about these luddite deniers of democracy trying to impose a minority view on the majority?

Again again, the alternative solution is that a hard border is imposed on the island and very likely the resumption of a civil war. So when the DUP stand up for what you consider "democracy" it is war being better than the majority being allowed to get their way.

The DUP - and hardline unionism - deserves to die. Being "bounced" into something most people voted for is better than being "bounced" into civil war. Even if that means a risk of their party no longer holding the whip hand.
This discussion has been closed.