Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is the Coronation set to be a TV ratings flop? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2023 in General
imageIs the Coronation set to be a TV ratings flop? – politicalbetting.com

Not long now until May the 6th when King Charles is due to have his Coronation. This is all set to be a full state occasion all the splendour that we have come to know.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Why on earth should it worry the Palace just 20% will watch the coronation in a public place? Surely most will watch the coronation on TV?

Only 22% say they won't watch the coronation at all which roughly matches the percentage Yougov has found back a Republic. We intend to try and watch from the crowd the processions to and from the Abbey and on the big screen the coronation itself.

I figure it will be easier to get a good view of Charles and Camilla's coronation than William and Kate's which will admittedly have more public interest
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    Carnyx said:

Eh, doesn't the question exclude the possibiliuty of consenting adults doing it in privacy at home?

Wait, is this not still banned by the restrictions?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    If only a dozen people and a dog watch it in a pub, the media would find them and get the best photo angle and declare it a glorious success.

The media manufacturing of King Charles and Queen - yes, Queen - Camilla has been incredible to watch.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,135

Carnyx said:

Eh, doesn't the question exclude the possibiliuty of consenting adults doing it in privacy at home?

Wait, is this not still banned by the restrictions?
    Eh? Anyone can dress up and cosplay.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited March 2023
    It might be a flop in the same way some people got super excited by how 'few' people showed up for the Queue, as though hundreds of thousands of people doing it was not still an awful lot considering what the activity was, or how people sometimes denigrate this or that protest as having only 100k or 500k or whatever, out of 70m people, ignoring that, again, that is a lot of people to take time out to do it.

There's this yearning sometimes that takes even genuine points way too far. I'm a monarchist and it'd never even occur to me to watch it in a public place, no thank you. I'd be astonished if even 5% do.

I'll probably record it so I can watch it on fast forward. I'm more worried it won't be extravagant and silly enough because they are worried about how it looks during cost of living crisis, and the sense of privilege. Fact is you cannot hold a coronation without looking out of touch and a bit silly, so just go for it. Just think how Spanish republicans missed out on things to make fun of because their King just got handed a sash by his dad.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Fortunately, we have a German poll to discuss.

The latest Infratest shows an 11% swing away from the SPD-Green-FDP coalition since the last election. Their combined support is down from 52% to 41% - the CDU/CSU is up six but AfD is up five and AfD are running the Greens and SPD close for second place.

The Union has a 12-point lead but coalition forming from these numbers suggests the only option would be Union-Green-FDP assuming the last named get back into Parliament.

Could Merz do a deal with Chrupalla and Weidel to form a CDU/CSU-FPD Government with AfD support? That's another option .
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    HYUFD said:

Why on earth should it worry the Palace just 20% will watch the coronation in a public place? Surely most will watch the coronation on TV?

Only 22% say they won't watch the coronation at all which roughly matches the percentage Yougov has found back a Republic. We intend to try and watch from the crowd the processions to and from the Abbey and on the big screen the coronation itself.

I figure it will be easier to get a good view of Charles and Camilla's coronation than William and Kate's which will admittedly have more public interest

Let's hope the weather is more amenable than it was for the last Coronation when, so my grandmother told me, it rained from dawn to dusk. Oddly enough, it's more likely to be dry in early May than early June statistically.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    Nigelb said:

Speaking of which.

Boris Johnson’s supporters plotting ‘Spartacus-style’ show of solidarity by voting against any privileges committee sanctions in the Commons

Vote will also act as a ‘show of force’ to Rishi Sunak of support for Johnson

https://twitter.com/RichardVaughan1/status/1637003761913659392

That's nice.

Will Sunak have all the rebels crucified alongside the M1?
    stodge said:

Fortunately, we have a German poll to discuss.

The latest Infratest shows an 11% swing away from the SPD-Green-FDP coalition since the last election. Their combined support is down from 52% to 41% - the CDU/CSU is up six but AfD is up five and AfD are running the Greens and SPD close for second place.

The Union has a 12-point lead but coalition forming from these numbers suggests the only option would be Union-Green-FDP assuming the last named get back into Parliament.

Could Merz do a deal with Chrupalla and Weidel to form a CDU/CSU-FPD Government with AfD support? That's another option .

Certainly more chance of Merz doing a deal with the AfD to form a right-wing government as he is further right than Merkel was.

Though more likely the FDP would veto that as would many in the CDU, so Merz would either have to do a deal with the FDP and Greens as you say or try another grand coalition with the SPD
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Hey, kids.

F1: in third practice Verstappen was over six-tenths ahead of Perez and almost a second ahead of everyone else.

Looks a bit ominous.

Although if Perez is a clear 2nd that would be splendid.
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

It might be a flop in the same way some people got super excited by how 'few' people showed up for the Queue, as though hundreds of thousands of people doing it was not still an awful lot considering what the activity was, or how people sometimes denigrate this or that protest as having only 100k or 500k or whatever, out of 70m people, ignoring that, again, that is a lot of people to take time out to do it.

There's this yearning sometimes that takes even genuine points way too far. I'm a monarchist and it'd never even occur to me to watch it in a public place, no thank you. I'd be astonished if even 5% do.

I'll probably record it so I can watch it on fast forward. I'm more worried it won't be extravagant and silly enough because they are worried about how it looks during cost of living crisis, and the sense of privilege. Fact is you cannot hold a coronation without looking out of touch and a bit silly, so just go for it. Just think how Spanish republicans missed out on things to make fun of because their King just got handed a sash by his dad.

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed does the President of Italy to his)
    Haven't caught up yet, but I see Murrell has tried the line about there being 'no intent to mislead', which is obviously bullshit and should be called out for the additional lie it is, but no doubt people have been making some comparisons with another figure who might claim no intent to mislead even though misleading then occurred.

What I cannot figure out is why the lie in the first place, even if they did not anticipate at that point a leadership contest where figures would clearly need to be known.
    Nigelb said:

Speaking of which.

Boris Johnson’s supporters plotting ‘Spartacus-style’ show of solidarity by voting against any privileges committee sanctions in the Commons

Vote will also act as a ‘show of force’ to Rishi Sunak of support for Johnson

https://twitter.com/RichardVaughan1/status/1637003761913659392

Good to see no predetermination by the Committee or by MPs.

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    kle4 said:

Haven't caught up yet, but I see Murrell has tried the line about there being 'no intent to mislead', which is obviously bullshit and should be called out for the additional lie it is, but no doubt people have been making some comparisons with another figure who might claim no intent to mislead even though misleading then occurred.

What I cannot figure out is why the lie in the first place, even if they did not anticipate at that point a leadership contest where figures would clearly need to be known.

“No intent to mislead” is in my employment law bullshit bingo alongside “mutual agreement”
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed do the Presidents of Italy and France to theirs)
    Well that's something, but you need the whole shebang I think. Otherwise you might as well just be a President.
    Just saw someone describe SNP departures an an Exodus, which makes perfect sense in a campaign which so far has featured Leviticus and Numbers prominently.

https://twitter.com/ProfChalmers/status/1637046703307075586
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Let's hope the weather is more amenable than it was for the last Coronation when, so my grandmother told me, it rained from dawn to dusk. Oddly enough, it's more likely to be dry in early May than early June statistically.
    Indeed and if it is a warm sunny Spring day, no need for heating so less cost of living complaints
    ping said:

If only a dozen people and a dog watch it in a pub, the media would find them and get the best photo angle and declare it a glorious success.

The media manufacturing of King Charles and Queen - yes, Queen - Camilla has been incredible to watch.

The British media establishment is overly focused on banalities of royalty abd presenting it in a positive light? It is certainly a new development.

Personally I'm all for Queen Camilla.
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

“No intent to mislead” is in my employment law bullshit bingo alongside “mutual agreement”
    "Lessons learned"
    "is to be regretted"
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed does the President of Italy to his)
    What’s Ashley Giles got to do with this?
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed do the Presidents of Italy and France to theirs)
    Well that's something, but you need the whole shebang I think. Otherwise you might as well just be a President.
    Indeed and of course the Kings of Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Thailand and Zululand and the Emperor of Japan all have the full works coronation too
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

And with the ongoing reductions to the Armed Forces, it won't be long before the Army is nothing but the horse cavalry and about 150 tanks. Make more sense to send the horses to Tattersalls to pay for some more Boxers.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

To be honest an old horse drawn golden coach is the antithesis of being in touch

It may well be a very embarrassing event and certainly not a help in endearing the monarchy to the country
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

What’s Ashley Giles got to do with this?
    He is the new spin doctor for the royals.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    pigeon said:

Just saw someone describe SNP departures an an Exodus, which makes perfect sense in a campaign which so far has featured Leviticus and Numbers prominently.

posted earlier...
    edited March 2023

Hey, kids.

F1: in third practice Verstappen was over six-tenths ahead of Perez and almost a second ahead of everyone else.

Looks a bit ominous.

Although if Perez is a clear 2nd that would be splendid.

He really should be - that Red Bull car is simply a season ahead of everyone else...

F1 TV have just been talking about the number of cars that are already using up their second electrical items - it's not just Charles Leclerc who has problems there.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

To be honest an old horse drawn golden coach is the antithesis of being in touch

It may well be a very embarrassing event and certainly not a help in endearing the monarchy to the country
    I didn't see you complaining when you watched the late Queen going in a horse drawn golden coach to her coronation? It is all part of the pageantry
    edited March 2023

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Being serious I actually disagree. The very concept of monarchy is out of step with modern ideas of equality and democracy. We make it work, as do other constitutional monarchies very well, but monarchy is an inherently silly idea unless you are one of the very few people who believe in divine right.

Trying to remove all the paganetry and silliness of a monarchy removes a lot of the point of it, of the symbolism. Even very cut down monarchies have grand occasions, grand places, grand outfits.

Will a coronation annoy republicans? Of course it will. Will many casual monarchists not be fans of the cost or the actual appearance of it all? Sure.

But if you have a monarchy it's supposed to look like one. Just as we expect leaders to look like leaders and they all put on business suits and the like.

You cannot make a coronation some endearing, populist event, so you shouldn't even try - that'll just make it pathetic. Just don't make it egregiously offensive.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,737
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed and if it is a warm sunny Spring day, no need for heating so less cost of living complaints
    That's a somewhat novel way of looking at it Hyufd!
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I didn't see you complaining when you watched the late Queen going in a horse drawn golden coach to her coronation? It is all part of the pageantry
    BigG was in short trousers at the time. He's learnt wisdom and judgement since then.
    eek said:

pigeon said:

posted earlier...
    That's nice.

Repeated again because I liked it. So there.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    pigeon said:

This scandal has clearly been building up for some time... was its Genesis Alex Salmond's resignation?

(If you can come up with a pun featuring Deuteronomy, you're a better man than I am.)
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

And with the ongoing reductions to the Armed Forces, it won't be long before the Army is nothing but the horse cavalry and about 150 tanks. Make more sense to send the horses to Tattersalls to pay for some more Boxers.
    Does the army still have that many tanks? Vaguely surprised.
    FPT

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

WOS on Twitter has a leak from the emergency NEC meeting - possible reballot in the SNP leadership election.

Would be explosive if true, but all options lead to a flaming binfire, so might be the least bad option.

Very likely outcome
    Only option that doesn't lead to an immediate legal challenge.

Whether Humza has the brass neck to stay in the race...who am I kidding, of course he does.
    Surely he will know the game is up and go now rather than have to rerun and be humiliated even further.
    He'll be reluctant to stand aside, and the Sturgeon gang would have to find another candidate to go up against Kate and Ash. Angus Robertson seems somewhat reluctant to wade in.
    No-one sane would want to be in charge of the forthcoming sh**storm. Anyone sane would be letting someone else take the flak for the consequences of what is about to be revealed while waiting for 2025/6 when there is likely to be another leadership election after the SNP do disastrously at the next election.

pigeon said:

This scandal has clearly been building up for some time... was its Genesis Alex Salmond's resignation?

(If you can come up with a pun featuring Deuteronomy, you're a better man than I am.)
    The whole thing is due to wrong, OMG!
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,008
    No.

Next.
    eek said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

WOS on Twitter has a leak from the emergency NEC meeting - possible reballot in the SNP leadership election.

Would be explosive if true, but all options lead to a flaming binfire, so might be the least bad option.

Very likely outcome

Whether Humza has the brass neck to stay in the race...who am I kidding, of course he does.
    Surely he will know the game is up and go now rather than have to rerun and be humiliated even further.
    He'll be reluctant to stand aside, and the Sturgeon gang would have to find another candidate to go up against Kate and Ash. Angus Robertson seems somewhat reluctant to wade in.
    No-one sane would want to be in charge of the forthcoming sh**storm.
    So Yousaf's nailed on to stay in?
    pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Does the army still have that many tanks? Vaguely surprised.
    It was certainly heading for about 270 before it started giving them away. Mod was certainly planning to only bother with that much. (Not counting old and substandard variants.).

*checks*

whoops, I'm out of date. Fewewr than that right now. And planning to buy only 148 Challenger 3 to replace them.

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2023/02/challenger-2-tanks-give-the-edge-to-uk-led-nato-battlegroup-in-estonia/
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    The question only refers to watching it in a public place. I suspect many more will watch it at home.

Note the last response, only 22% say they don't plant to watch it.
    78% of adults is around 48million. That would blow all previous UK TV records out of the water.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    The pubs who decide to major on the coronation will doubtless feel the need to flag up, so I'll avoid this and watch on tv. Let's hope the weather plays ball.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Being serious I actually disagree. The very concept of monarchy is out of step with modern ideas of equality and democracy. We make it work, as do other constitutional monarchies very well, but monarchy is an inherently silly idea unless you are one of the very few people who believe in divine right.

Trying to remove all the paganetry and silliness of a monarchy removes a lot of the point of it, of the symbolism. Even very cut down monarchies have grand occasions, grand places, grand outfits.

Will a coronation annoy republicans? Of course it will. Will many casual monarchists not be fans of the cost or the actual appearance of it all? Sure.

But if you have a monarchy it's supposed to look like one. Just as we expect leaders to look like leaders and they all put on business suits and the like.

You cannot make a coronation some endearing, populist event, so you shouldn't even try - that'll just make it pathetic. Just don't make it egregiously offensive.
    I also like the monarchy to be full of pomp and grand looking. It's the sleekit kind (I'm looking at you, Scandi-Royals) who try and pass themselves off as 'one of us' that makes me twitch.

"Which one is the king?"
    "It's the dude with the big gold hat and fancy stick!"

Much easier to spot.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151
    eek said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Very likely outcome

No-one sane would want to be in charge of the forthcoming sh**storm. Anyone sane would be letting someone else take the flak for the consequences of what is about to be revealed while waiting for 2025/6 when there is likely to be another leadership election after the SNP do disastrously at the next election.
    They would need a Starmer government to become unpopular very quickly. Can't see the independence movement making much progress at all while Labour are in power.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    Foxy said:

UBS have ruined my weekend.

I may have to roll out the emergency AV thread tomorrow.

FF43 said:

Covid origins: New genetic material from China points to raccoon dogs and other wildlife
    Data collected from market in Wuhan provides ‘strongest evidence’ yet that animals susceptible to Sars-Cov-2 were at traded at the site

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-origins-new-genetic-material-china-points-raccoon-dogs/ (£££)

"It also shows that China is sitting on more data than it has previously released or shared globally."

File under "NS,S...."
    Or they’ve had the time to fabricate it
    I think unlikely Chinese authorities are fabricating evidence of reckless, and as it turned out catastrophic, disregard of food safety. Particularly when they have strenuously denied any such thing, despite the panicky closure of those markets following the outbreak.
    It does seem to be a reanalysis in the West of data released by China some time back that the Chinese had said didn't show infected animals. On the face of it, it doesn't appear to be the Chinese pushing the story.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/03/covid-origins-research-raccoon-dogs-wuhan-market-lab-leak/673390/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Very difficult to find out the truth though when both China and various conspiracy theorists are pushing their own agendas. I think we will never know, short of regime change in China to a much more open regime.
    Lessons learned should be that China needs to get a lot more serious about food safety. Allowing two cataclysmic epidemics to happen probably with the same avoidable cause within 20 years, is the real outrage IMO. Theories about lab leaks let the Chinese authorities off the hook to some extent
    edited March 2023
    RobD said:

78% of adults is around 48million. That would blow all previous UK TV records out of the water.

Not valid. Some of those people are the ones who don't plan to watch it in public at all as opposed to not very likely to do so in public.

Hopeless question ...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

pigeon said:

Nobody Judges your puns here. Because we are the Kings of punning....
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Not valid. Some of those people are the ones who don't plan to watch it in public at all as opposed to not very likely to do so in public.

Hopeless question ...
    The response was "N/A - I don't plant to watch the coronation at all", so assumedly all other responders must have plans to do so, some likely to watch public, some very unlikely to do so.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    On topic. Charles is always going to suffer by comparison because "Well, he's not the Queen, is he?"

It's likely William will get a boost because "Well, he's not King Charles, is he?"
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,123

pigeon said:

I'm sure there's a good Proverb (s) in there somewhere and nice Job for someone to find if they Luke hard enough...
    Yousaf getting ever shorter for next SNP leader. Seems misaligned with sentiment on here?
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Hopeless question ...
    The response was "N/A - I don't plant to watch the coronation at all", so assumedly all other responders must have plans to do so, some likely to watch public, some very unlikely to do so.
    Or, DNR.
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Hopeless question ...
    Or, DNR.
    Did not read? Well of course, but you hope most respondents of an opinion poll do read the options.
    kinabalu said:

Yousaf getting ever shorter for next SNP leader. Seems misaligned with sentiment on here?

Was that before or after Mr Murrell's news?
    kinabalu said:

Who are the better Scotch experts, the betting market or PB commentators?
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Hopeless question ...
    Or, DNR.
    Did not read? Well of course, but you hope most respondents of an opinion poll do read the options.
    Sorry, did jnot reply, should have put DK.
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Hopeless question ...
    Or, DNR.
    Sorry, did jnot reply, should have put DK.
    If they are DK they are not sure that they aren't going to watch it or not. That implies an even higher fraction of people who will or might watch it, compared to those who are certain they won't!
  • I’m attending a street party in London for the coronation.

We plan to boo the King and say ‘Not my King.’
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    FWIW nearly everyone I know plans to have a look at the Coronation on TV, and I mainly know republicans. Much as with the Queen's funeral, it's unlikely that many will sit through the whole event. but everyone feels it's a big state occasion so they should have a look. On the other hand, going to a pub to watch it seems a bizarre idea. Did many people watch the funeral in pubs?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769

I’m attending a street party in London for the coronation.

Cool story.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited March 2023
    Excellent podcast episode of Bari Weiss’s “Honestly” with Sebastian Junger;

https://www.honestlypod.com/podcast/episode/81d272a5/why-men-seek-danger

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/honestly-with-bari-weiss/id1570872415

“Why Men Seek Danger”

An hour of your time well spent, imo.

eek said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Very likely outcome

They would need a Starmer government to become unpopular very quickly. Can't see the independence movement making much progress at all while Labour are in power.
    We shall see. AIUI the Labour high command have been listening to Gordon Brown and being seduced by the "more powers" argument - as if fresh rounds of devolution have ever done anything to dent support for the SNP in the past.

That said, what might work is spending a bit less time wondering how few policy areas can be kept in Westminster without rendering the Union effectively meaningless, and concentrating on just one: taxation. It's well past time that responsibility for a substantial fraction of the tax base was devolved, so that the Scottish Government raises most of its own revenue and this is merely topped up by transfer payments (calculated according to Scotland's relative level of wealth and need compared to the average for the UK as a whole, and not deploying ancient methodology invented by a Victorian peer and tweaked by a junior minister in the Callaghan Government.)

The best way to try to steer Scottish politics away from ceaseless arguments about the constitution and back to bread and butter issues is to restore the central role of taxation and spending. If the SNP wants to continue to pursue a high tax, high welfare Scandinavian model, with all manner of benefits not available in England, then it should be made to raise the necessary money from its own population and see if they'll wear it.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    Well, a little lucky timing for Yousaf possibly :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65001544

"Unison members accept Scottish government pay offer

Members of Scotland's largest NHS union, Unison, have voted to accept the Scottish government's pay offer.

In a digital ballot where 54% of eligible members voted, 78.5% accepted the offer."
  • eek said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Very likely outcome

Someone's going to end up with a Liz Truss style tenure here.

It's fun if you don't actually live in Scotland and need public services to work properly.

FWIW nearly everyone I know plans to have a look at the Coronation on TV, and I mainly know republicans. Much as with the Queen's funeral, it's unlikely that many will sit through the whole event. but everyone feels it's a big state occasion so they should have a look. On the other hand, going to a pub to watch it seems a bizarre idea. Did many people watch the funeral in pubs?

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/scottish-news/22293805.rangers-pub-changes-name-honour-queen-elizabeths-funeral/

Not sure if they watched it there though! But onei magines so.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721

Yes, I'm a Republican, but I'll almost certainly watch it for the historical event that it is. Looking forward to seeing if they actually show the anointing with oil bit, which anyone who watches the Crown will know they didn't show for The Queen last time!
    edited March 2023

On topic. Charles is always going to suffer by comparison because "Well, he's not the Queen, is he?"

It's likely William will get a boost because "Well, he's not King Charles, is he?"

Are many people other than friends & family actually missing the Queen? Plenty might say they are but is this genuine or is it more that it just feels like the right thing to say? I ask because I thought I'd feel her absence from our public life but it turns out I don't. It's just been, ah ok, Charles now then, so what, on we go. There's no essential difference as far as I can see, for better or worse. Instead of her doing both lots and very little at the same time, he's doing it.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    I plan to be out of the country for it
    edited March 2023

I assume it is in Islington or Camden, if you tried that in Romford or Bexley you might not get back home in one piece!
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

After. He's a bigger fav now than this morning.
    HYUFD said:

I assume it is in Islington or Camden, if you tried that in Romford or Bexley you might not get back home in one piece!
    Well, I'm sure you know all about beating people up in the street for expressing personal opinions. You do like to go on about executing people for treason, and defining treason as throwing an egg in the general direction of some Royal.
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. How extraordinary. Maybe he's now being seen as sort of more independent of the establishment. But that doesn't make sense.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    The ravens are leaving Murrel towers...

@LesleyRiddoch
    Good to see Peter Murrell has gone. Winning elections is one thing. Turning the SNP into a closed shop with a corporate, stage-managed conference is another. Membership row is just the last straw. Scotland & Indy need a more open SNP, w/o a police investigation hanging over it.
  • HYUFD said:

Monarchists are violent thugs eh?
    @JournoStephen

Here’s what Mike Russell, the new interim chief executive of the SNP, has previously said about the NHS.

Spare a thought for @ScottishLabour, who will have to pretend not to be over the moon about this appointment.

https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/1637111037496270848
    DavidL said:

This is getting really dull. As far as I can trace no one in a senior position in the SNP has resigned in the last 3 hours. Have I missed something?

They might have lost another 30,000 members though...
  • I’d be enjoying this France v Wales match much more if England weren’t about to get absolutely fuckwangled by Ireland later.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    My MiL's cul de sac are planning a street party for the Coronation but have chosen to have it on the 7th, the Sunday, because everyone will be watching it on the TV the day before. They did something similar for the Jubilee.
    DavidL said:

This is getting really dull. As far as I can trace no one in a senior position in the SNP has resigned in the last 3 hours. Have I missed something?

No, watching the rugger.
    DavidL said:

My MiL's cul de sac are planning a street party for the Coronation but have chosen to have it on the 7th, the Sunday, because everyone will be watching it on the TV the day before. They did something similar for the Jubilee.

Morningside?
  • theProletheProle Posts: 948
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. How extraordinary. Maybe he's now being seen as sort of more independent of the establishment. But that doesn't make sense.
    Isn't the news that >30k members have left the party over the last year or so, presumably because they don't have much time for the Sturgeon/Murrell approach to government going to make continuity Murrell in the form of Yousaf more rather than less likely, as those who've already left in disgust or dispair don't get votes?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762

DavidL said:

I have been contacted by @BlancheLivermore who is currently banned. I understand she may have been banned for referring to a comment made by a third party relating to Gary Lineker which was potentially defamatory.
    I am told that she has written to @rcs1000 and apologised for that. I have explained to her why the site and its owners should rightly be concerned about the hassle which might arise from such publication, even if it was said by someone else and just repeated here.
    Would someone be able to look and see if she has now "served her time" for this error and give her another chance?

I’m back home in an hour and I’ll fix it.
    Many thanks @TSE
    edited March 2023
    theProle said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Isn't the news that >30k members have left the party over the last or so, presumably because they don't have much time for the Sturgeon/Murrell approach to government going to make continuity Murrell in the form of Yousaf more rather than less likely, as those who've already left in disgust or dispair don't get votes?
    Wouldn't have thought so - I grasp the point you are making, but Kinabalu's timing doesn't support it as the news came out well before the resignation. Yesterday, IIRC (dependiong on what 'news' means) Mr Foote jacked it in and effectively confirmed the -30K.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are so comical

You were not alive in 1953, and I can tell you with absolutely honesty I hardly watched it, though all the neighbours popped in and out during the day, and I really was so amused at the number of times my grandmother stood to attention when the anthem was played

Maybe my general disinterest in the monarchy started that day, much to the annoyance of my grandmother

I’d be enjoying this France v Wales match much more if England weren’t about to get absolutely fuckwangled by Ireland later.

This game is just the amuse-bouche
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    DavidL said:

I have been contacted by @BlancheLivermore who is currently banned. I understand she may have been banned for referring to a comment made by a third party relating to Gary Lineker which was potentially defamatory.
    I am told that she has written to @rcs1000 and apologised for that. I have explained to her why the site and its owners should rightly be concerned about the hassle which might arise from such publication, even if it was said by someone else and just repeated here.
    Would someone be able to look and see if she has now "served her time" for this error and give her another chance?

Didn't know she was a she.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are so comical

You were not alive in 1953, and I can tell you with absolutely honesty I hardly watched it, though all the neighbours popped in and out during the day, and I really was so amused at the number of times my grandmother stood to attention when the anthem was played

Maybe my general disinterest in the monarchy started that day, much to the annoyance of my grandmother
    For me it was a garden party at Holyroodhouse when I was about 18. The way in which the local matrons behaved shocked me to the core of my being. Never forgotten it.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    The dude’s a former polo player. If would be cool if he rode horseback to the coronation instead of being pulled in a carriage
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Didn't know she was a she.
    All will be revealed at the next PB meet when we watch which loo Blanche opts for.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    Way Off Topic - Here in the great Evergreen State of Washington, the 2024 governor's race has already begun . . . sorta.

> Key question yet undecided is, will incumbent Democratic governor Jay Inslee run for an unprecedented 4th term in office? My own guess is, No. But stay tuned, for one thing rather doubtful if any credible Democrat would challenge him, or if they did, best him in WA's Top Two August 2024 primary.

> Recent polling published this week: "Bruce Dammeier (R), Bob Ferguson (D) lead hypothetical 2024 gubernatorial field in WA - Should Governor Jay Inslee decide against seeking an unprecedented fourth term later this year, Republican Pierce County Executive Bruce Dammeier and Democratic Attorney General Bob Ferguson would be the two leading candidates to succeed him in a hypothetical field that also included King County Executive Dow Constantine (D) and Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz (D) . . ..

"35% of 874 likely 2024 general election voters interviewed from March 7th-8th for NPI by Public Policy Polling said they’d back Dammeier if the election were being held today, while 21% said they’d pick Ferguson. 7% said Constantine and another 7% said Franz. A total of 30% were not sure, a figure that exceeds the support of each of the Democratic candidates, though not all of them combined.

"The results suggest that Ferguson would have the advantage at the outset of a 2024 gubernatorial campaign among the three top Democratic officeholders in the state known to be interested in the job, but also indicates that there could be an opening for either Franz or Constantine to wage a competitive campaign, particularly if one of them decided to forgo running, resulting in just two credible Democrats competing for time, talent, treasure, and votes in the elimination round.

"Dammeier’s 35% percentage is pretty much what we thought we’d most likely see. In head-to-head questions in our statewide polling, we usually see declared or hypothetical Republican candidates in the mid to upper thirties.

"This range has been fairly steady since the tumultuous 2016 election. Three examples: Susan Hutchison polled at 36% in May of 2018, Donald Trump polled at 37% in October of 2019, and Tiffany Smiley polled at 37% in May of 2021.

"Republicans have not won a gubernatorial election in Washington since 1980 [and have a] thin bench . . .

"Given Washington’s Democratic orientation, most of the action for governor will be on the Democratic side, again assuming Inslee retires. But the Republicans can be counted upon to field somebody

https://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog/2023/03/bruce-dammeier-r-bob-ferguson-d-lead-hypothetical-2024-gubernatorial-field-in-wa.html

> Note that one of the Democrats polled, King Co Executive Dow Constantine, just announced that he is NOT gonna run for Gov next year.

SSI - My fearless prediction: Bob Ferguson will not only run for Governor in 2024, he will be elected.

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    The dude’s a former polo player. If would be cool if he rode horseback to the coronation instead of being pulled in a carriage
    Nice idea but a Veblenist analysis says no. In the 17th century it was the chaps on horses (and on foot) who did the work and the chap lounging in the expensive coach who was top dog. So therefore in 2023 we have to follow the same logic, same as with divine right vegan salad oil.
    edited March 2023

HYUFD said:

Monarchists are violent thugs eh?
    You might get away with it with a few cutting words with monarchists in Kensington and Chelsea or Windsor or Surrey but you would likely end up with at least your table upended if you tried disrespectfully booing the King and shouting 'not my King' in monarchist parts of Outer London or the redwall.

The bluewall and the redwall may disagree on Brexit but they tend to agree on supporting the royal family!
  • HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    Since the late Queen the direction of travel, if you excuse the pun, is ever downwards in the polling
This discussion has been closed.