Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is the Coronation set to be a TV ratings flop? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ReedReed Posts: 152
    ohnotnow said:

kinabalu said:

There have been rumours about this for the last few days, and it's now on the BBC:

"Ex-US President Donald Trump expects to be arrested on Tuesday"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65000325

He’s taking it well

Why does he write as if his audience have a mental age of about seven?

Ah, ok, yes I suppose ...
    I seem to remember reading an analysis of his tweets in the run up to the 2016 election. They noticed the language started off relatively 'mature' and by the end was, seemingly, aimed at people with a reading age of around 11.
    Thats Trumps genius connecting with low iq people.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It might be a flop in the same way some people got super excited by how 'few' people showed up for the Queue, as though hundreds of thousands of people doing it was not still an awful lot considering what the activity was, or how people sometimes denigrate this or that protest as having only 100k or 500k or whatever, out of 70m people, ignoring that, again, that is a lot of people to take time out to do it.

There's this yearning sometimes that takes even genuine points way too far. I'm a monarchist and it'd never even occur to me to watch it in a public place, no thank you. I'd be astonished if even 5% do.

I'll probably record it so I can watch it on fast forward. I'm more worried it won't be extravagant and silly enough because they are worried about how it looks during cost of living crisis, and the sense of privilege. Fact is you cannot hold a coronation without looking out of touch and a bit silly, so just go for it. Just think how Spanish republicans missed out on things to make fun of because their King just got handed a sash by his dad.

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed does the President of Italy to his)
    To be honest an old horse drawn golden coach is the antithesis of being in touch

It may well be a very embarrassing event and certainly not a help in endearing the monarchy to the country
    You are utterly wrong.
    Since the late Queen the direction of travel, if you excuse the pun, is ever downwards in the polling
    Where do you get that idea from? The polling for Charles, William and Kate is very strong.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432
    kle4 said:

It will be very funny if Humza does win now. Various people angry with status quo and party establishment but elect Mr Continuity.

At the end of the day the members were all busy defending continuity up until Sturgeon announced, hard to switch.

The big question is why did Nicky S resign in the first place? Without an understanding of that, there's not much hope for her replacement. And the answer can't be that everything was wrong, or she shouldn't have stayed as long as she did.

(For example, 1990 was about the Poll Tax and Thatcher's decent into divaish madness. So Major was the right guy to pick because he solved both problems but left everything else broadly unchanged.)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It might be a flop in the same way some people got super excited by how 'few' people showed up for the Queue, as though hundreds of thousands of people doing it was not still an awful lot considering what the activity was, or how people sometimes denigrate this or that protest as having only 100k or 500k or whatever, out of 70m people, ignoring that, again, that is a lot of people to take time out to do it.

There's this yearning sometimes that takes even genuine points way too far. I'm a monarchist and it'd never even occur to me to watch it in a public place, no thank you. I'd be astonished if even 5% do.

I'll probably record it so I can watch it on fast forward. I'm more worried it won't be extravagant and silly enough because they are worried about how it looks during cost of living crisis, and the sense of privilege. Fact is you cannot hold a coronation without looking out of touch and a bit silly, so just go for it. Just think how Spanish republicans missed out on things to make fun of because their King just got handed a sash by his dad.

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed does the President of Italy to his)
    To be honest an old horse drawn golden coach is the antithesis of being in touch

It may well be a very embarrassing event and certainly not a help in endearing the monarchy to the country
    I don't buy into the notion that most people dislike pageantry, and expect Heads of State/Government to live like council tenants.

The inaugurations of the French and US Presidents are full of pageantry.
    They *are* council tenants!
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,440
    kle4 said:

It will be very funny if Humza does win now. Various people angry with status quo and party establishment but elect Mr Continuity.

At the end of the day the members were all busy defending continuity up until Sturgeon announced, hard to switch.

That's certainly the case with the parliamentarians but as to the members, who knows? SNP could end up like Labour in the Corbyn era. Except in this case the leader (Forbes) would be far to the right of the parliamentary party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Ready to be proven wrong but I’m pretty sure it’ll attract a good enough audience. Anecdotally I know a few people who say they’ll watch it for the fact that it’s the first one we’ve had for 70 years and therefore the first one most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

I see no groundswell of republicanism right now, and I’m not entirely sure where others seem to be seeing it.

I wont be watching. Charles is way too politically divisive to be an effective monarch.
    Is he politically divisive? The latest Yougov on the royal family has 79% of Conservative voters, 72% of LD voters and 54% of Labour voters having a favourable view of King Charles. Starmer and Sunak would kill for those ratings
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-
    Given recent opinion polls that means about 40% have an unfavourable view of Charles. Not good.
    Nope, only 29% have an unfavourable view of Charles. Again ratings Sunak or Starmer would kill for
    https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/leosln75nr/Internal_Royals_230111.pdf
    In other words, only 3 in 5 have an even slightly positive view of the King.

That's pretty pathetic actually.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That's certainly the case with the parliamentarians but as to the members, who knows? SNP could end up like Labour in the Corbyn era. Except in this case the leader (Forbes) would be far to the right of the parliamentary party.
    Don't agree. You're confusing personal religious beliefs with overall approach, and she's been a key minister for some time now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Ready to be proven wrong but I’m pretty sure it’ll attract a good enough audience. Anecdotally I know a few people who say they’ll watch it for the fact that it’s the first one we’ve had for 70 years and therefore the first one most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

I see no groundswell of republicanism right now, and I’m not entirely sure where others seem to be seeing it.

I wont be watching. Charles is way too politically divisive to be an effective monarch.
    Is he politically divisive? The latest Yougov on the royal family has 79% of Conservative voters, 72% of LD voters and 54% of Labour voters having a favourable view of King Charles. Starmer and Sunak would kill for those ratings
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-
    Given recent opinion polls that means about 40% have an unfavourable view of Charles. Not good.
    Nope, only 29% have an unfavourable view of Charles. Again ratings Sunak or Starmer would kill for

Is it, given his past favourability ratings?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Andy_JS said:
    I like the sub-heading: "Silicon Valley’s woke, feelgood brand of capitalism was always built on sand" – sand is dirty silicon.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

A better comparison arguably is QEII. You see? Will be interesting to see how it develops.

• Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    Since the late Queen the direction of travel, if you excuse the pun, is ever downwards in the polling
    No it isn't. 18 Commonwealth realms became republics or got their own head of state in the late Queen's reign. There are only 15 Commonwealth realms left so even if they all ended the monarchy neither Charles nor William would have lost as many as the late Queen did. Elizabeth II did a good job but she she did undoubtedly leave the monarchy globally smaller than she inherited from her father.

In the UK around 2/3 still back retaining the monarchy
    I back retaining the monarchy but expect there will be a continuous drip of support over the coming years as we are already seeing
    We currently have King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla, this should be peak time for republicans, if they can't even get close to a majority now they have zero chance once William and Kate take over, especially given the alternative of President Blair or President Johnson
    There would never be a president Blair or President Johnson.

A president Rowling - or similar - would win any ballot. cf; Ireland.

On every measure, J K Rowling would be a better head of state.

Say it ain’t so?
    No, there almost certainly would be a President Blair or President Johnson. We are a P5 permanent UN Security Council member and member of the G7 and G20 not a small country like Ireland but equivalent to the US and France and would likely have a powerful directly elected President like them if we were a republic.

Even if we only had a ceremonial President elected by Parliament it would more likely be President Hague or President Ed Miliband than President Rowling (who is hated now by trans activists anyway). Even the current Irish President is an ex Labour politician
    There is no obligation on UNSC member republics to have shitty executive presidencies, even if all four of them do. A country which has a hereditary monarchy, an even shittier arrangement, need not limit itself to climbing only one level up inside the sewage pipe. A British republic could have a presidency similar to the German one. The "you don't want a politician as head of state" bullshit was how the monarch managed to win the 1999 referendum in Australia, despite having a large republican majority. You may find it's worn a bit thin, HYUFD. There's nothing wrong with a President Miliband or Hague or Rowling. Bring it on. Doesn't scare anyone, so long as they're non-executive. Better than some addled old bastard who's there because of who is mother was, who wants to get biblically anointed, who seems to think he's the king of kings and the head of all religions, and who obviously hasn't acquired the art of speaking to servants even after seven decades of practice. The monarchy is making the country a fucking laughing stock.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Don't agree. You're confusing personal religious beliefs with overall approach, and she's been a key minister for some time now.
    Her religious beliefs bleed into her views on social policy. She is no progressive and stands in stark contrast to Sturgeon. And, she seems to hold much "drier" views on economics than the average SNPer. She may have to compromise on a lot of that is she wins the leadership but she is a big contrast with Yousaf and the SNP establishment however you look at it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    No it isn't. 18 Commonwealth realms became republics or got their own head of state in the late Queen's reign. There are only 15 Commonwealth realms left so even if they all ended the monarchy neither Charles nor William would have lost as many as the late Queen did. Elizabeth II did a good job but she she did undoubtedly leave the monarchy globally smaller than she inherited from her father.

I back retaining the monarchy but expect there will be a continuous drip of support over the coming years as we are already seeing
    We currently have King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla, this should be peak time for republicans, if they can't even get close to a majority now they have zero chance once William and Kate take over, especially given the alternative of President Blair or President Johnson

Say it ain’t so?
    No, there almost certainly would be a President Blair or President Johnson. We are a P5 permanent UN Security Council member and member of the G7 and G20 not a small country like Ireland but equivalent to the US and France and would likely have a powerful directly elected President like them if we were a republic.

Even if we only had a ceremonial President elected by Parliament it would more likely be President Hague or President Ed Miliband than President Rowling (who is hated now by trans activists anyway). Even the current Irish President is an ex Labour politician
    Depends entirely on how the drafting committee of the new English Republic see things.
    Republic Cymru will simply ask Llafor to nominate someone.
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited March 2023
    Westie said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

Say it ain’t so?

There is no obligation on UNSC member republics to have shitty executive presidencies, even if all four of them do. A country which has a hereditary monarchy, an even shittier arrangement, need not limit itself to climbing only one level up inside the sewage pipe. A British republic could have a presidency similar to the German one. The "you don't want a politician as head of state" bullshit was how the monarch managed to win the 1999 referendum in Australia, despite having a large republican majority. Nothing wrong with a President Miliband or Hague or Rowling. Bring it on. Better than some old bastard who wants to get biblically anointed and seems to think he's the king of kings and the head of all religions. The monarchy is making the country a fucking laughing stock.

The award for the biggest pile of shite on here today has a winner.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Max Versappen out!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    mandy rhodes@holyroodmandy

That must have been an uncomfortable morning in the Sturgeon/Murrell kitchen as the SNP CEO pushed his resignation letter across the breakfast bar to his boss!

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1637065596725612566
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

Say it ain’t so?

Depends entirely on how the drafting committee of the new English Republic see things.
    So they would then most likely end up with President Kinnock, as if we didn't need any more reasons to keep the monarchy!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    Latest insider information, the knife goes deeper

• Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Given the bad press he has had over the past 30+ years, it is actually pretty good.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Her religious beliefs bleed into her views on social policy. She is no progressive and stands in stark contrast to Sturgeon. And, she seems to hold much "drier" views on economics than the average SNPer. She may have to compromise on a lot of that is she wins the leadership but she is a big contrast with Yousaf and the SNP establishment however you look at it.
    If Forbes wins, you can fully bet come the GE Labour will put up posters across the central belt highlighting Forbes' social and (especially her) economic views.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

I think people are naturally rallying round. The significant thing though is the enduring popularity of William and Kate. The monarchy seems utterly secure for the foreseeable.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Talking of wetting yourself laughing, I imagine TSE has really had to change his trousers after that shambles from Red Bull!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    malcolmg said:

Staggering if true. This person has been on the money so far.

• Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

If Forbes wins, you can fully bet come the GE Labour will put up posters across the central belt highlighting Forbes' social and (especially her) economic views.
    We can be sure she will not be filling her own bankbook as labour usually do , people her eknow what bad uns they are. Far better a bit of religion as a grifter.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

What is pathetic is you criticising the King for having only a 62% positive rating when the pathetic 2 main candidates of your pathetic party, Forbes and Yousaf, have just a 27% and 22% positive rating respectively in Scotland. Even in Scotland the King has double that at 52% positive.

Now that REALLY is PATHETIC!!!!!!!!

https://news.sky.com/story/snp-leadership-scottish-independence-support-at-just-39-poll-says-12832783
  • Options

Thanks very much to @DavidL and @TheScreamingEagles for getting me back on here

I'm going to be away for the Coronation; I've got three weeks off work, starting the last week of April

I'm seriously considering a big walk in Brittany - visiting the sites of the seven founder Saints (all from Wales and Cornwall)

It's a 350 mile trek, just to visit the seven places, not taking into account detours to see other interesting things on the way

I think I should go for it

The legend says that if you don't do this walk in your lifetime, you have to do it in the afterlife. But you can only walk one coffin length every seven years in the afterlife

Bloody French tourist board, think up all sorts of shit to trap you there.
  • Options
    In answer to the question in the header. I effing well hope so!
  • Options
    This Aston Martin is looking very impressive so far this year. Wonder if they can keep this up? If so they could be a real force in a year or so.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

I think people are naturally rallying round. The significant thing though is the enduring popularity of William and Kate. The monarchy seems utterly secure for the foreseeable.
    That’s certainly how I interpret public opinion.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Just as you forecast Malc

You are the sage of PB on all matters SNP
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

What is pathetic is you criticising the King for having only a 62% positive rating when the pathetic 2 main candidates of your pathetic party, Forbes and Yousaf, have just a 27% and 22% positive rating respectively.

https://news.sky.com/story/snp-leadership-scottish-independence-support-at-just-39-poll-says-12832783
    Notd relevant. You are comparing kings with elected officials, which you have spent all day denying is a valid comparison. And the institution of monarchy with divine right ought to have a *much* stronger consensus than 62 per cent ranging from 'great' to 'little better than meh'.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Her views on the SNP's record in office will be more than enough!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@heraldscotland
    The chief financial officer of Ferguson Marine has left the nationalised shipyard

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1637121691754332160

"Glen Sannox and Hull 802 were due online in the first half of 2018 when Ferguson Marine was under the control of tycoon Jim McColl, with one initially to serve Arran and the other to serve the Skye triangle routes to North Uist and Harris, but they are at least five years late. The last estimates suggested the costs of delivery has more than quadrupled compared to the original £97m cost."
    But everyone got their bonuses for their astounding (well I am astounded by the outcome of their efforts, for one) efforts. Which is nice.
    The launch of the ship in 2017 (six years before it will actually go into service),with painted on windows to make it look ready, seems so surreal.
    In Scotland it just feels normal. We live in a Potemkin village.
  • Options
    Westie said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

Say it ain’t so?

There is no obligation on UNSC member republics to have shitty executive presidencies, even if all four of them do. A country which has a hereditary monarchy, an even shittier arrangement, need not limit itself to climbing only one level up inside the sewage pipe. A British republic could have a presidency similar to the German one. The "you don't want a politician as head of state" bullshit was how the monarch managed to win the 1999 referendum in Australia, despite having a large republican majority. You may find it's worn a bit thin, HYUFD. There's nothing wrong with a President Miliband or Hague or Rowling. Bring it on. Doesn't scare anyone, so long as they're non-executive. Better than some addled old bastard who's there because of who is mother was, who wants to get biblically anointed, who seems to think he's the king of kings and the head of all religions, and who obviously hasn't acquired the art of speaking to servants even after seven decades of practice. The monarchy is making the country a fucking laughing stock.

The German President is a politician and ex leader of the SPD who only got the job as a consolation prize after Merkel beat him in 2009.

So yes I certainly prefer our monarchy to that rubbish, as do other nations with constitutional monarchies from Denmark to Spain, the Netherlands to Jordan and New Zealand to Canada and Japan to Norway
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    You are forgetting that Labour is actually a right-wing party - and even more so if it is not to lose in England. SKS is a born again British nationalist and Brexiter, so that is going to be tricky.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm going to be away for the Coronation; I've got three weeks off work, starting the last week of April

I'm seriously considering a big walk in Brittany - visiting the sites of the seven founder Saints (all from Wales and Cornwall)

It's a 350 mile trek, just to visit the seven places, not taking into account detours to see other interesting things on the way

The legend says that if you don't do this walk in your lifetime, you have to do it in the afterlife. But you can only walk one coffin length every seven years in the afterlife

I think it was the Welsh (Colonies) who came up with it!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    Will Sunak be away when the free vote comes up ?

What will Tory MPs do ?

Failing to vote for sanctions if Johnson is found guilty would be a gift for the opposition.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    malcolmg said:

If he's right, there's going to be some pissed off betters who have backed Humza earlier today...
  • Options
    13 cars covered by 0.886. Closest season in years.
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Staggering if true. This person has been on the money so far.

Has been 100% correct. Been on the cards for some time, just a case of when t helong knives would come out. All the patsies will be crapping themselves now.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    You are forgetting that Labour is actually a right-wing party - and even more so if it is not to lose in England. SKS is a born again British nationalist and Brexiter, so that is going to be tricky.
    Forbes is right of Sunak let alone Starmer, the SNP will tear itself apart on that basis if she wins
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Welsh are even worse.

I should know, I'm a Welshman.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    All we need now is the return of the King over the water.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Talking of wetting yourself laughing, I imagine TSE has really had to change his trousers after that shambles from Red Bull!

Yup.

Going to back the Dutch shunt to win tomorrow though.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

What is pathetic is you criticising the King for having only a 62% positive rating when the pathetic 2 main candidates of your pathetic party, Forbes and Yousaf, have just a 27% and 22% positive rating respectively.

Notd relevant. You are comparing kings with elected officials, which you have spent all day denying is a valid comparison. And the institution of monarchy with divine right ought to have a *much* stronger consensus than 62 per cent ranging from 'great' to 'little better than meh'.
    Nope, it is a valid comparison. The King is still far more popular than any senior politician and his son and the Princess of Wales even more so.

The fact we still have a few republican whingers who dislike the monarchy is largely irrelevant as they have little more support than the LDs got in 2010
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    Forbes is right of Sunak let alone Starmer, the SNP will tear itself apart on that basis if she wins
    How is she right of them? She's been in a key SNP ministry for years and that is well to the left of both of them by any standard.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    I think trying to argue that Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner, et al, are to the right of Kate Forbes would be a task that would defeat even Murray Foote.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    All we need now is the return of the King over the water.
    Wha'll Be King But Harry?

• Options

ydoethur said:

Yup.

Should make for a very exciting race.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yup.

Can’t see it, from starting 15th.
  • Options
    Scandalous red card.

Ref might as well be wearing a green shirt.
  • Options

Scandalous red card.

He backs Aston Martin?

TBF, I think we will all be rooting for them tomorrow!
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Scandalous red card.

He said "in the current climate".

Translation: "I know this is bullshit just as much as you do, but I have no option if I ever want to referee again".
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    I think trying to argue that Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner, et al, are to the right of Kate Forbes would be a task that would defeat even Murray Foote.
    You're looking at it from a London perspective.

It's the overall approach that counts. Trident, Brexit, and refusing referenda (after originally saying it was a decent thing to do) are pretty right wing in a Scottish context.

Also - the Greens in Scotland will take up the more leftie vote, which English Labour don't have to worry about.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

Say it ain’t so?

So they would then most likely end up with President Kinnock, as if we didn't need any more reasons to keep the monarchy!
    In England or Wales?
    I know you vote Plaid.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....

It's the overall approach that counts. Trident, Brexit, and refusing referenda (after originally saying it was a decent thing to do) are pretty right wing in a Scottish context.

Also - the Greens in Scotland will take up the more leftie vote, which English Labour don't have to worry about.
    They do, but not to the same extent. There were a few constituencies last time where the Green vote was larger than the Tory majority over Labour - eg North West Durham - but they're generally much less visible and less important than their Scottish counterparts.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....

They do, but not to the same extent. There were a few constituencies last time where the Green vote was larger than the Tory majority over Labour - eg North West Durham - but they're generally much less visible and less important than their Scottish counterparts.
    Mm, thanks for the correction! Interesting.
  • Options
    Watched the Saints Spurs game with my Dad (Spurs season ticket holder)

I'm rather happier than him!

He seems to have already forgotten that he won over seven grand on the PlacePot at Cheltenham on Thursday (from a £16 bet - 32 lines x 50p)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

On topic. Charles is always going to suffer by comparison because "Well, he's not the Queen, is he?"

It's likely William will get a boost because "Well, he's not King Charles, is he?"

I feel like Charles needs to find 'his thing'. Personally, along with @Leon, I feel the public is most aligned with Charles on architecture, so maybe he should be found a way get stuck into that somehow.
  • Options

Scandalous red card.

Destroyed what could have been an epic game.
  • Options
    Incidentally you can see why Alpine were very upset about losing Piastri. This McLaren is a joke but he's got it into q3.

You wonder what he'd do with an Alpine...
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    alexmassie@alexmassie·58m
    No real need to flee a ship that isn’t sinking because it’s never been afloat.
    https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1637136443179950082

The Herald - "THE chief financial officer of Ferguson Marine who is engulfed in a row over £87,000 in bonus payments to managers has left the nationalised shipyard."
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/23395607.ferguson-marine-finance-chief-embroiled-bonus-payments-row-quits/
  • Options

On topic. Charles is always going to suffer by comparison because "Well, he's not the Queen, is he?"

It's likely William will get a boost because "Well, he's not King Charles, is he?"

I feel like Charles needs to find 'his thing'. Personally, along with @Leon, I feel the public is most aligned with Charles on architecture, so maybe he should be found a way get stuck into that somehow.
    Environment as well. He was for ecology long before it was fashionable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

When is St. Taffy's Day? And it is ok to wear a ramp instead of a leek?

The ramp being Appalachian equivalent/substitute, for example world-famous Ramp Festival of Richwood, West Virginia, one of a number held across the region.

One one notorious occasion, the editor of the local "West Virginia Hillbilly" (an equally notorious character) printed an edition of the paper with ramp-scented ink. And when the initial print run didn't seem sufficiently "fragrant" added more of essence of ramp.

As the ink dried, the odor increased expotentially. Resulting in several postal employee (are you getting this, Blanche?) in a railroad mail car, being overcome by the fumes. Was with some difficulty that the paper was able to retain it's postal privileges.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

When is St. Taffy's Day? And it is ok to wear a ramp instead of a leek?

The ramp being Appalachian equivalent/substitute, for example world-famous Ramp Festival of Richwood, West Virginia, one of a number held across the region.

One one notorious occasion, the editor of the local "West Virginia Hillbilly" (an equally notorious character) printed an edition of the paper with ramp-scented ink. And when the initial print run didn't seem sufficiently "fragrant" added more of essence of ramp.

As the ink dried, the odor increased expotentially. Resulting in several postal employee (are you getting this, Blanche?) in a railroad mail car, being overcome by the fumes. Was with some difficulty that the paper was able to retain it's postal privileges.
    St David, not St Taff. And traditionally we wear daffodils not leeks on that day,
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    Going to be tricky to convince people that someone who is against gay marriage, wants a smaller state, and thinks George Osborne's economic programme was wonderful is more left wing than SKS.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Speaking of Leon, I see he is no longer banned. Perhaps someone should tell him?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Two political hot potatoes though, and getting hotter. Whatever one thinks of Poundbury it';s not what the big builders want to do, so far as I can see. And as climate change worsens ...
  • Options

He's already 74. His mum had had half a century in the role by this point. Getting "his thing" has maybe 20 years still as King, but at that age, does he have the energy? Dunno.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I was reading about Welsh/Roman Conan Meriadoc earlier

They say when he colonised Armorica he had all of the men killed, to be replaced by his soldiers

He then had his men cut out all the women's tongues so they couldn't tell anyone what had happened
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Scandalous red card.

Destroyed what could have been an epic game.
    Yes, really disappointing, that. I'm all for deterring players tackling recklessly, but I don't think Steward was even doing that - he was basically trying to protect himself. If the laws say that's a red card, the laws need looking at again.
    Not much point watching the rest of the game now. Well done to Ireland for winning the Grand Slam; just a shame I was denied 40 minutes of entertainment. I shall set about some Dadmin instead.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    On topic - the other half is currently searching for some other country for us to escape to over that weekend.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    ydoethur said:

What was the Queen's thing? I'd say it was basically being less awful than any other public figure. He could try that.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Well those rumours from Scotland are certainly eyebrow-raising.

I hope Welsh Labour are watching closely*, realising the dangers of being in power for too long with minimal accountability.

*Yes I know they won't be.
  • Options

Good to see you back AND planning a truly exciting endeavor. Esp. interested to see your proposed route includes & highlights Mont St. Michel.

Of which I happen to have a very nice, exterior-only model.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

What was the Queen's thing? I'd say it was basically being less awful than any other public figure. He could try that.
    The Commonwealth.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good evening, everyone.

An entertaining qualifying session.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

pigeon said:

Just saw someone describe SNP departures an an Exodus, which makes perfect sense in a campaign which so far has featured Leviticus and Numbers prominently.

https://twitter.com/ProfChalmers/status/1637046703307075586

This scandal has clearly been building up for some time... was its Genesis Alex Salmond's resignation?

(If you can come up with a pun featuring Deuteronomy, you're a better man than I am.)
    Not a pun, but an allusion:

Ol Deuteronomy's lived many lives
    No, I am tempted to say ninety-nine
    And her numerous progeny prospers and thrives
    And the village is proud of her in her decline

Until recently I’d argue that was true
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329
    Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

I don't hold a massive candle for Charles, although I don't actively dislike him, but I am still a monarchist. I revered QEII at an almost religious level - duty was her byword and she was still trying to work 20 hours before she died.

I suspect many are similar to me.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....
    How is she right of them? She's been in a key SNP ministry for years and that is well to the left of both of them by any standard.

Forbes is right of almost every politician bar JRM and Ann Widdecombe on social issues, let alone Starmer. Anti homosexual marriage, anti abortion, even anti women priests.

She backs lower tax and a smaller state too. I haven't seen her oppose Trident either
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

"Tartan Tory"....

Sorry, don't buy it. I think like the rest of the UK, people in Scotland think where you end up on the left-right axis is determined primarily by your social and economic views. For instance, nobody, whether they live in Scotland or England thinks Mick Lynch is right wing even though he is a Brexiteer.
    I guess we'll see, but if Forbes becomes FM and pollsters ask voters to place her on the left-right axis they will position her to the right of SKS, Sarwar, Reeves etc.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

William and Kate will be very popular once they, eventually, accede to the throne.

That could be in 20 years time, mind.
  • Options

He's already 74. His mum had had half a century in the role by this point. Getting "his thing" has maybe 20 years still as King, but at that age, does he have the energy? Dunno.
    His great-great-great grandfather Edward VI had virtually the identical challenge.

Which HE met partly in the field of fashion, as in "Edwardian" in contrast to "Victorian" in many ways beyond dress sense.

But most significantly in the (to coin a phrase) realm of diplomacy. As in EdVII's role in the creation of the Entente Cordiale.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

William and Kate will be very popular once they, eventually, accede to the throne.

Unless Charles turns out to be an incredibly unpopular King the monarchy will last till then. Out of the two main parties, only Labour might abolish the monarchy and - a bit like its position on Brexit right now - won't do so if they think it will lose them votes.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Unless Charles turns out to be an incredibly unpopular King the monarchy will last till then. Out of the two main parties, only Labour might abolish the monarchy and - a bit like its position on Brexit right now - won't do so if they think it will lose them votes.
    Charles may abdicate in 10 years and retire to Highgrove and hand over to Camilla like the monarchs of Japan, the Netherlands and Spain have abdicated by their late 80s and handed over to their younger sons.

Even Labour voters want to keep the monarchy by 50% to 36%

• Options

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Prince & Princess of Wales today, are in the same boat (but NOT yacht!) as their predecessors, namely the future King George V and Queen Mary.

Who of course proved to be very popular. AND who together established most of standards and expectations for the British monarchy that endure and persist into the dawn of the 3rd millennium.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Charles may abdicate in 10 years and retire to Highgrove and hand over to Camilla like the monarchs of Japan, the Netherlands and Spain have abdicated by their late 80s and handed over to their younger sons.

William, not Camilla. Unless they are hiding something big.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    @iamliamkelly
    EXCL: BBC chairman Richard Sharp helped a friend — at whose wedding he was an usher — get a £1,000/day paid role advising the corporation on standards

Story with the peerless @RosamundUrwin @HarryYorke1

https://twitter.com/iamliamkelly/status/1637155992143101954
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

And to what end?

Few want to ditch the monarchy, and end almost 1,500 years of history and tradition, for the chance to choose another elected politician every four years and lose something that makes Britain distinctive and unique at the same time.

Not going to happen.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Betting Post

F1: If you followed my Perez to win each way tip at 7, I'd advocate laying at around 2.44-2.5 on Betfair.

I'll include this in the pre-race ramble to be posted tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Scott_xP said:

@iamliamkelly
    EXCL: BBC chairman Richard Sharp helped a friend — at whose wedding he was an usher — get a £1,000/day paid role advising the corporation on standards

He's a really good friend, always helping connect them with others who want to spend or receive thousands and thousands of pounds.

Maybe we could try for a BBC Chair who is not in the business of professional backhanders though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

I could see Charles abdicating in a way I couldn't see HMQEII ever doing.

He doesn't feel duty in the same way she did, but does feel hard done by in general.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

And to what end?

Few want to ditch the monarchy, and end almost 1,500 years of history and tradition, for the chance to choose another elected politician every four years and lose something that makes Britain distinctive and unique at the same time.

Not going to happen.
    Any descendents of Cromwell about to vote for? Even as a monarchist I'm a fan.
  • Options

Good to see you back AND planning a truly exciting endeavor. Esp. interested to see your proposed route includes & highlights Mont St. Michel.

Of which I happen to have a very nice, exterior-only model.
    I definitely want to see Mont St Michel; if it weren't on the route I would have detoured

I'm planning to stick with my own coined rhyming idiomatic French hiking motto - "Je marche partout et je bois comme un trou" (I walk everywhere and I drink like a hole)

But will certainly extend my drinking from beer and wine (probably mostly Muscadet) to include Cidre, Chouchen and Lambig
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

I could see Charles abdicating in a way I couldn't see HMQEII ever doing.

He doesn't feel duty in the same way she did, but does feel hard done by in general.
    I could have done too. Right up until his first broadcast as King.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

William, not Camilla. Unless they are hiding something big.
    Would be VERY Byzantine - even for the House of Windsor-Mountbatten-Whathaveyou.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

The possibility that a party capable of winning an election will stand on a ticket of either abolishing the monarchy or even holding a referendum on it does not arise in any foreseeable way.

No such party has even stood on a disestablishment ticket, which would be far less controversial.

Unnecessary policies which may lose elections don't happen. Except if you are T May in 2017.

This is why the monarchy will remain.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Scott_xP said:

@iamliamkelly

Richard Sharp is accused of corruption?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you,
This discussion has been closed.