Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is the Coronation set to be a TV ratings flop? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It might be a flop in the same way some people got super excited by how 'few' people showed up for the Queue, as though hundreds of thousands of people doing it was not still an awful lot considering what the activity was, or how people sometimes denigrate this or that protest as having only 100k or 500k or whatever, out of 70m people, ignoring that, again, that is a lot of people to take time out to do it.

There's this yearning sometimes that takes even genuine points way too far. I'm a monarchist and it'd never even occur to me to watch it in a public place, no thank you. I'd be astonished if even 5% do.

I'll probably record it so I can watch it on fast forward. I'm more worried it won't be extravagant and silly enough because they are worried about how it looks during cost of living crisis, and the sense of privilege. Fact is you cannot hold a coronation without looking out of touch and a bit silly, so just go for it. Just think how Spanish republicans missed out on things to make fun of because their King just got handed a sash by his dad.

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed does the President of Italy to his)
    To be honest an old horse drawn golden coach is the antithesis of being in touch

It may well be a very embarrassing event and certainly not a help in endearing the monarchy to the country
    You are utterly wrong.
    The dude’s a former polo player. If would be cool if he rode horseback to the coronation instead of being pulled in a carriage
    Nice idea but a Veblenist analysis says no. In the 17th century it was the chaps on horses (and on foot) who did the work and the chap lounging in the expensive coach who was top dog. So therefore in 2023 we have to follow the same logic, same as with divine right vegan salad oil.
    Billy of Orange disagrees.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It might be a flop in the same way some people got super excited by how 'few' people showed up for the Queue, as though hundreds of thousands of people doing it was not still an awful lot considering what the activity was, or how people sometimes denigrate this or that protest as having only 100k or 500k or whatever, out of 70m people, ignoring that, again, that is a lot of people to take time out to do it.

There's this yearning sometimes that takes even genuine points way too far. I'm a monarchist and it'd never even occur to me to watch it in a public place, no thank you. I'd be astonished if even 5% do.

I'll probably record it so I can watch it on fast forward. I'm more worried it won't be extravagant and silly enough because they are worried about how it looks during cost of living crisis, and the sense of privilege. Fact is you cannot hold a coronation without looking out of touch and a bit silly, so just go for it. Just think how Spanish republicans missed out on things to make fun of because their King just got handed a sash by his dad.

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed does the President of Italy to his)
    To be honest an old horse drawn golden coach is the antithesis of being in touch

It may well be a very embarrassing event and certainly not a help in endearing the monarchy to the country
    You are utterly wrong.
    The dude’s a former polo player. If would be cool if he rode horseback to the coronation instead of being pulled in a carriage
    Nice idea but a Veblenist analysis says no. In the 17th century it was the chaps on horses (and on foot) who did the work and the chap lounging in the expensive coach who was top dog. So therefore in 2023 we have to follow the same logic, same as with divine right vegan salad oil.
    Billy of Orange disagrees.

True, but that is in combat mode. Not mufti.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Good morning/afternoon from Long Island.

So what happens now?
    Re-ballot, narrow Forbes win?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    Since the late Queen the direction of travel, if you excuse the pun, is ever downwards in the polling
    Appropriate for somebody whose funeral cortege saw the whole royal family heading south...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942

So what happens now?

ends up in court I think
  • Options

So what happens now?

Chaos and litigation no doubt
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I’m attending a street party in London for the coronation.

We plan to boo the King and say ‘Not my King.’

I assume it is in Islington or Camden, if you tried that in Romford or Bexley you might not get back home in one piece!
    Monarchists are violent thugs eh?
    You might get away with it with a few cutting words with monarchists in Kensington and Chelsea or Windsor or Surrey but you would likely end up with at least your table upended if you tried disrespectfully booing the King and shouting 'not my King' in monarchist parts of Outer London or the redwall
    I don’t think anyone would be overly enraged, they would just wonder for a minute why someone would be so twattish to go to a street party held to celebrate something they hate, and then carry on enjoying a piece of history with their friends and family.

Would be like going to the victory parade if Wales won the rugby World Cup and booing. Both parts of that sentence are clearly a stupid idea.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    DavidL said:

This is getting really dull. As far as I can trace no one in a senior position in the SNP has resigned in the last 3 hours. Have I missed something?

Those "I did nothing wrong but I'm going anyway" letters take a while to compose.

Especially with the threat of proceedings hanging over you.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited March 2023

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    Since the late Queen the direction of travel, if you excuse the pun, is ever downwards in the polling
    No it isn't. 18 Commonwealth realms became republics or got their own head of state in the late Queen's reign. There are only 15 Commonwealth realms left so even if they all ended the monarchy neither Charles nor William would have lost as many as the late Queen did. Elizabeth II did a good job but she she did undoubtedly leave the monarchy globally smaller than she inherited from her father (who himself saw the likes of India and Ireland replace the monarchy with their own head of state).

In the UK around 2/3 still back retaining the monarchy
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

I have been contacted by @BlancheLivermore who is currently banned. I understand she may have been banned for referring to a comment made by a third party relating to Gary Lineker which was potentially defamatory.
    I am told that she has written to @rcs1000 and apologised for that. I have explained to her why the site and its owners should rightly be concerned about the hassle which might arise from such publication, even if it was said by someone else and just repeated here.
    Would someone be able to look and see if she has now "served her time" for this error and give her another chance?

Didn't know she was a she.
    All will be revealed at the next PB meet when we watch which loo Blanche opts for.
    What if they're non-binary?

Cancelled.
  • Options
    I’ve become more republi

So what happens now?

Ok but it’s got to end *somewhere*
    Will there be a temp stand in?
    What should we expect to be the impact on SNP and sindy support?

Come on PB…we’re never usually shy of informed predictions.

(I can’t be arsed with the coronation)

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Carnyx said:

theProle said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Yousaf getting ever shorter for next SNP leader. Seems misaligned with sentiment on here?

Was that before or after Mr Murrell's news?
    After. He's a bigger fav now than this morning.
    Thanks. How extraordinary. Maybe he's now being seen as sort of more independent of the establishment. But that doesn't make sense.
    Isn't the news that >30k members have left the party over the last or so, presumably because they don't have much time for the Sturgeon/Murrell approach to government going to make continuity Murrell in the form of Yousaf more rather than less likely, as those who've already left in disgust or dispair don't get votes?
    Wouldn't have thought so - I grasp the point you are making, but Kinabalu's timing doesn't support it as the news came out well before the resignation. Yesterday, IIRC (dependiong on what 'news' means) Mr Foote jacked it in and effectively confirmed the -30K.
    I was wondering if the membership numbers were following a common pattern. Dug into the SLAB membership and (according to wikipedia) :

"In September 2017, it was reported that the party had 21,500 members and 9,500 affiliated through trade unions and other groups, making a total of 31,000 people associated with the party.[19]

In January 2018, the total Scottish membership stood at 25,836, however within 12 months it was leaked in January 2019 that this value had fallen by 4,674 to 21,162.[20]

In February 2021, the membership figure was down to 16,467."

So possibly a similar-ish pattern across the Scottish parties? Very roughly lining up with various elections/brexit/covid kinda times? Wouldn't surprise me if SLAB had more members now than in 2021 mind you with a bit of 'Keir might win' plus cost-of-living-crisis and SNP-weariness.
  • Options

I’ve become more republi

So what happens now?

Funny, that's what Peter Murrell just said...
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    pigeon said:

boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

I have been contacted by @BlancheLivermore who is currently banned. I understand she may have been banned for referring to a comment made by a third party relating to Gary Lineker which was potentially defamatory.
    I am told that she has written to @rcs1000 and apologised for that. I have explained to her why the site and its owners should rightly be concerned about the hassle which might arise from such publication, even if it was said by someone else and just repeated here.
    Would someone be able to look and see if she has now "served her time" for this error and give her another chance?

All will be revealed at the next PB meet when we watch which loo Blanche opts for.
    What if they're non-binary?

Cancelled.
    Then they might not be going for a number 10.
  • Options

DavidL said:

This is getting really dull. As far as I can trace no one in a senior position in the SNP has resigned in the last 3 hours. Have I missed something?

Those "I did nothing wrong but I'm going anyway" letters take a while to compose.

Especially with the threat of proceedings hanging over you.
    Haven't they heard of ChatGPT? Sheesh!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Re: horses and monarch and etc. -

When Kaiser Wilhelm ii visited Jerusalem before WWI, he rode into the (old) city on a noble steed. (Certainly the nag was FAR more noble than he.)

When General Allenby's army captured Jerusalem during WWI, he walked into town.

The General, unlike the Kaiser, NOT wishing to upstage You Know Who, who reported made HIS last entrance on a donkey.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    No it isn't. 18 Commonwealth realms became republics or got their own head of state in the late Queen's reign. There are only 15 Commonwealth realms left so even if they all ended the monarchy neither Charles nor William would have lost as many as the late Queen did. Elizabeth II did a good job but she she did undoubtedly leave the monarchy globally smaller than she inherited from her father.

I back retaining the monarchy but expect there will be a continuous drip of support over the coming years as we are already seeing
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.
    No it isn't. 18 Commonwealth realms became republics or got their own head of state in the late Queen's reign. There are only 15 Commonwealth realms left so even if they all ended the monarchy neither Charles nor William would have lost as many as the late Queen did. Elizabeth II did a good job but she she did undoubtedly leave the monarchy globally smaller than she inherited from her father.

I back retaining the monarchy but expect there will be a continuous drip of support over the coming years as we are already seeing
    The Harry affair has been hugely damaging.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    I must move in the strangest circles. I don't know anybody - extended family or friends - who will watch the Coronation anywhere. And it's not because we're all republicans or anti-monarchists. It's just because we're not interested, and have better things to do on a Saturday.
  • Options

I’ve become more republi

So what happens now?

It looks like a long and winding road for the SNP with unpredictable consequences that I doubt will be good for them

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

I must move in the strangest circles. I don't know anybody - extended family or friends - who will watch the Coronation anywhere. And it's not because we're all republicans or anti-monarchists. It's just because we're not interested, and have better things to do on a Saturday.

Better things to do than catch a glimpse of a once-in-a-seventy-year event? No, I’m pretty sure it’s because you are all republicans or anti-monarchists. :)
  • Options
    I was a pretty firm monarchist, but in hindsight I think I was more of a fan of QEII, her example, and the human link back to our collective histories.

Once the Royals become a stuffier version of the Kardashians - and they are perilously close to that point - they become totally redundant if not actively insufferable.

I am aware HYUFD will point to continuing public support but, as we currently see with the SNP, things look fine and then suddenly they don’t.
  • Options
    @heraldscotland
    The chief financial officer of Ferguson Marine has left the nationalised shipyard

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1637121691754332160
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

theProle said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Yousaf getting ever shorter for next SNP leader. Seems misaligned with sentiment on here?

Was that before or after Mr Murrell's news?
    After. He's a bigger fav now than this morning.
    Thanks. How extraordinary. Maybe he's now being seen as sort of more independent of the establishment. But that doesn't make sense.
    Isn't the news that >30k members have left the party over the last or so, presumably because they don't have much time for the Sturgeon/Murrell approach to government going to make continuity Murrell in the form of Yousaf more rather than less likely, as those who've already left in disgust or dispair don't get votes?
    Wouldn't have thought so - I grasp the point you are making, but Kinabalu's timing doesn't support it as the news came out well before the resignation. Yesterday, IIRC (dependiong on what 'news' means) Mr Foote jacked it in and effectively confirmed the -30K.
    I was wondering if the membership numbers were following a common pattern. Dug into the SLAB membership and (according to wikipedia) :

"In September 2017, it was reported that the party had 21,500 members and 9,500 affiliated through trade unions and other groups, making a total of 31,000 people associated with the party.[19]

In January 2018, the total Scottish membership stood at 25,836, however within 12 months it was leaked in January 2019 that this value had fallen by 4,674 to 21,162.[20]

In February 2021, the membership figure was down to 16,467."

So possibly a similar-ish pattern across the Scottish parties? Very roughly lining up with various elections/brexit/covid kinda times? Wouldn't surprise me if SLAB had more members now than in 2021 mind you with a bit of 'Keir might win' plus cost-of-living-crisis and SNP-weariness.
    2014 did mobilise a lot of people on both sides. But so did Mr Corbyn a little later!
  • Options

I must say I’m glad the event’s on a Saturday and somewhat disappointed that Monday 8th is a holiday. Seems to me it defeats the whole purpose of having the event on a Saturday!

I didn’t watch it on tv in 1953 because I’d been picked by the Scout group to which I belonged to go and sell souvenir programmes on the processional route! I’ll probably watch it this time because unless I manage a spectacular recovery I’ll be in my chair for most of the day, and said chair points me towards the tv!
    However as it’s also my birthday I’ll probably be having a celebratory drink or two!
    And yes I know I share my birthday with Tony Blair, but I was there first!

I think you'll find the blessed Tony was here before, now and forever. For he is the eternal spirit of Smug.

(And I hope you get better soon! Couple of drinks and shouting at the telly is bound to help!)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

He’s had an affair? No wonder they are getting divorced.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I didn't see you complaining when you watched the late Queen going in a horse drawn golden coach to her coronation? It is all part of the pageantry
    You are so comical

You were not alive in 1953, and I can tell you with absolutely honesty I hardly watched it, though all the neighbours popped in and out during the day, and I really was so amused at the number of times my grandmother stood to attention when the anthem was played

Maybe my general disinterest in the monarchy started that day, much to the annoyance of my grandmother
    For me it was a garden party at Holyroodhouse when I was about 18. The way in which the local matrons behaved shocked me to the core of my being. Never forgotten it.
    :smile: - did they take your virginity?
  • Options

I must say I’m glad the event’s on a Saturday and somewhat disappointed that Monday 8th is a holiday. Seems to me it defeats the whole purpose of having the event on a Saturday!

I didn’t watch it on tv in 1953 because I’d been picked by the Scout group to which I belonged to go and sell souvenir programmes on the processional route! I’ll probably watch it this time because unless I manage a spectacular recovery I’ll be in my chair for most of the day, and said chair points me towards the tv!
    However as it’s also my birthday I’ll probably be having a celebratory drink or two!

Remind us on the day please OKC so we can all raise a celebratory glass with you.
  • Options

When Kaiser Wilhelm ii visited Jerusalem before WWI, he rode into the (old) city on a noble steed. (Certainly the nag was FAR more noble than he.)

The General, unlike the Kaiser, NOT wishing to upstage You Know Who, who reported made HIS last entrance on a donkey.

You could add Signor Mussolini and the white horse all lined up for entering Cairo.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

You could add Signor Mussolini and the white horse all lined up for entering Cairo.
    When the Kaiser made his entry, the donkey was riding the horse.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I didn't see you complaining when you watched the late Queen going in a horse drawn golden coach to her coronation? It is all part of the pageantry
    You are so comical

You were not alive in 1953, and I can tell you with absolutely honesty I hardly watched it, though all the neighbours popped in and out during the day, and I really was so amused at the number of times my grandmother stood to attention when the anthem was played

Maybe my general disinterest in the monarchy started that day, much to the annoyance of my grandmother
    For me it was a garden party at Holyroodhouse when I was about 18. The way in which the local matrons behaved shocked me to the core of my being. Never forgotten it.
    :smile: - did they take your virginity?
    Wasn't what they wanted, believe me!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited March 2023
    RobD said:

Better things to do than catch a glimpse of a once-in-a-seventy-year event? No, I’m pretty sure it’s because you are all republicans or anti-monarchists. :)
    Poor form to disbelieve me. Of all the things that need changing, the monarchy is so low down the list of priorities that it's not even on the radar. So as I said, not anti, just not interested.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Don't think I've ever watched a match with so many tries as this one between France and Wales.
  • Options
    Paging TSE

• Options

I’ve become more republi

So what happens now?

It looks like a long and winding road for the SNP with unpredictable consequences that I doubt will be good for them
    Can they possibly Get Back to that 2015 peak?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    There have been rumours about this for the last few days, and it's now on the BBC:

"Ex-US President Donald Trump expects to be arrested on Tuesday"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65000325
  • Options
    Not so long ago, some PBers were telling the rest of us, that Florida Governor and GOP (Grifters On Parade) presidential hopeful Ron DeSantis, was pro-Ukraine, in contrast to Trump.

Anyone still believing this guff?

As much BS as the claim RDS is a man of modest means!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

I assumed she was a he, which is pretty daft of me given the name. I wonder why we thought that?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

I assumed she was a he, which is pretty daft of me given the name. I wonder why we thought that?
    He is a he, no?
    Pretty sure we’ve had pics.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    Ready to be proven wrong but I’m pretty sure it’ll attract a good enough audience. Anecdotally I know a few people who say they’ll watch it for the fact that it’s the first one we’ve had for 70 years and therefore the first one most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

I see no groundswell of republicanism right now, and I’m not entirely sure where others seem to be seeing it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@heraldscotland
    The chief financial officer of Ferguson Marine has left the nationalised shipyard

That will set some hares running. 2 + 2 makes 17.
  • Options
    The Welsh made a better fist of it against France than England.
  • Options
    Citymapper, which is one of the few British apps I use (and has 50m users worldwide), has been bought by New York-based “Via”.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 408

There have been rumours about this for the last few days, and it's now on the BBC:

He’s taking it well

• Options
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Camille is not uncommon, in some cultures, as a male as well as female name.

Despite what the French - and their compagnons de voyage - might say about it!
  • Options
    @GlennBBC
    Back to the future. Mike Russell - who preceded Peter Murrell as SNP chief executive - is taking temporary charge of party HQ on a voluntary basis

He is currently SNP president

Someone on another forum raised the question whether the SNP constitution allows the President to also be the CEO ??
  • Options
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

From the 'postie' posts? When you picture that job you picture a bloke?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I’ve become more republi

So what happens now?

Can they possibly Get Back to that 2015 peak?
    I’ve got a feeling most of the ex SNP leadership just want to let it be.
  • Options

The Welsh made a better fist of it against France than England.

They're a better team...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC
    Back to the future. Mike Russell - who preceded Peter Murrell as SNP chief executive - is taking temporary charge of party HQ on a voluntary basis

Someone on another forum raised the question whether the SNP constitution allows the President to also be the CEO ??

The wording of the tweet doesn't preclude the possibility that Mr R is stepping down from being Prez for the relevant period.
  • Options

He’s taking it well

Why does he write as if his audience have a mental age of about seven?

Ah, ok, yes I suppose ...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Remind us on the day please OKC so we can all raise a celebratory glass with you.
    THIS is just another reason, why we need a POLITICAL BETTING BOTTLE BUS and TRAVELLING WET BAR!

IF we had such a PBBB&TWB then a pack of jolly PBers would be more than willing AND able, to cruise out to the wilds of tidal Essex (I think) to hoist the flowing cup with OKC.

Get with the program, people!
  • Options

This has an interesting run-down on whether a conviction would bar from running again. (Spolier: no, unless convicted of insurrection....)

https://people.howstuffworks.com/criminal-conviction-bar-running-for-president.htm
  • Options

He’s taking it well

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to wet yourself laughing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

To them maybe, Harry now has a rating of -44% with UK voters and Meghan -46%.

Less so for the royals themselves however, given the King has a rating of +33% and the Prince of Wales +49%
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-65001385

"Boris Johnson: Tory MPs will get free vote on any Partygate sanctions

Conservative MPs are to be given a free vote on any sanctions handed out to Boris Johnson if he is found to have misled Parliament over Partygate.

The former prime minister faces a crucial televised evidence session in front of the Commons Privileges Committee on Wednesday.

The committee is yet to publish its final verdict - but its initial update earlier this month said Mr Johnson may have misled Parliament multiple times.

Mr Johnson denies misleading MPs."
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He’s taking it well

If he carries on like this, then a charge of insurrection (and his debarring from standing as President) gets that little bit nearer....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    kle4 said:

Haven't caught up yet, but I see Murrell has tried the line about there being 'no intent to mislead', which is obviously bullshit and should be called out for the additional lie it is, but no doubt people have been making some comparisons with another figure who might claim no intent to mislead even though misleading then occurred.

What I cannot figure out is why the lie in the first place, even if they did not anticipate at that point a leadership contest where figures would clearly need to be known.

they have had no reduction in membership fees which seems odd. Sturgeon would never ever admit she was making a pig's ear of it and losing support by the barrowload. They only lived in their bubble thinking they were brilliant.
  • Options

I was a pretty firm monarchist, but in hindsight I think I was more of a fan of QEII, her example, and the human link back to our collective histories.

Once the Royals become a stuffier version of the Kardashians - and they are perilously close to that point - they become totally redundant if not actively insufferable.

I am aware HYUFD will point to continuing public support but, as we currently see with the SNP, things look fine and then suddenly they don’t.

You are an anti Tory left liberal who lived in New Zealand and now lives in New York city, you have about as much connection with the average Brit as Meghan herself!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    kinabalu said:

He’s taking it well

Note that "real Donald Trump" is NOT really Donald Trump.

Rather, the

He’s taking it well

Is "realDonaldTrump" really Donald Trump?

EDIT - already asked and answered!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

We currently have King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla, this should be peak time for republicans, if they can't even get close to a majority now they have zero chance once William and Kate take over, especially given the alternative of President Blair or President Johnson
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My MiL's cul de sac are planning a street party for the Coronation but have chosen to have it on the 7th, the Sunday, because everyone will be watching it on the TV the day before. They did something similar for the Jubilee.

Likely to be the only one in Scotland David
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@heraldscotland

"Glen Sannox and Hull 802 were due online in the first half of 2018 when Ferguson Marine was under the control of tycoon Jim McColl, with one initially to serve Arran and the other to serve the Skye triangle routes to North Uist and Harris, but they are at least five years late. The last estimates suggested the costs of delivery has more than quadrupled compared to the original £97m cost."
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

He’s taking it well

..FORMER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES...

Is that progress of sorts - he accepts he lost in 2020?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

He’s taking it well

If he carries on like this, then a charge of insurrection (and his debarring from standing as President) gets that little bit nearer....
    Yes, I remain uber-happy with my Big Short. He's heading for a deep pile of shit. It's just a matter of how much damage he does to the GOP as he sinks into it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

Scott_xP said:

@heraldscotland

"Glen Sannox and Hull 802 were due online in the first half of 2018 when Ferguson Marine was under the control of tycoon Jim McColl, with one initially to serve Arran and the other to serve the Skye triangle routes to North Uist and Harris, but they are at least five years late. The last estimates suggested the costs of delivery has more than quadrupled compared to the original £97m cost."
    But everyone got their bonuses for their astounding (well I am astounded by the outcome of their efforts, for one) efforts. Which is nice.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@heraldscotland

But everyone got their bonuses for their astounding (well I am astounded by the outcome of their efforts, for one) efforts. Which is nice.
    You’ll miss Nicola Sturgeon when she’s gone.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    Soldiers song is really rousing. Far better than irelands call.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Paging TSE

Surely @Leon?
  • Options
    So, are we going to make the Irish deeply unhappy? It wouldn't be the first time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@heraldscotland

Just the extra £400m or so sloshing around from which to pay them.

SNP economics.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

I’m attending a street party in London for the coronation.

We plan to boo the King and say ‘Not my King.’

Good for you, free speech and all that. Feels like going to any party and saying 'I dont want to be here' though
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Call me old-fashioned but 'Blanche' may be a clue.
  • Options
    eek said:

So story on Twitter saying Donald Trump will be indicted on Tuesday - to which the response is

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
    Replying to
    @thevivafrei
    If this happens, Trump will be re-elected in a landslide victory

As I said at the time, the only way for the GOP to escape Trump was to bring him down in 2021/2.

Yep. Even though it's so stupid it's in effect saying politicians should not be punished even if there is considered to be evidence of a crime.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC

The wording of the tweet doesn't preclude the possibility that Mr R is stepping down from being Prez for the relevant period.
    The way things are going is the NEC going to remain quorate?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

We currently have King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla, this should be peak time for republicans, if they can't even get close to a majority now they have zero chance once William and Kate take over, especially given the alternative of President Blair or President Johnson
    There would never be a president Blair or President Johnson.

A president Rowling - or similar - would win any ballot. cf; Ireland.

On every measure, J K Rowling would be a better head of state.

Say it ain’t so?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@heraldscotland

The launch of the ship in 2017 (six years before it will actually go into service),with painted on windows to make it look ready, seems so surreal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You are an anti Tory left liberal who lived in New Zealand and now lives in New York city, you have about as much connection with the average Brit as Meghan herself!
    New Zealand is a monarchy, and ironically the US media seems to carry *more* press about the royals than the UK does.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My MiL's cul de sac are planning a street party for the Coronation but have chosen to have it on the 7th, the Sunday, because everyone will be watching it on the TV the day before. They did something similar for the Jubilee.

The 7th is the suggested date for Coronation 'Big Lunch':

https://www.edenprojectcommunities.com/the-big-lunch
  • Options
    ReedReed Posts: 152

Ready to be proven wrong but I’m pretty sure it’ll attract a good enough audience. Anecdotally I know a few people who say they’ll watch it for the fact that it’s the first one we’ve had for 70 years and therefore the first one most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

I see no groundswell of republicanism right now, and I’m not entirely sure where others seem to be seeing it.

I wont be watching. Charles is way too politically divisive to be an effective monarch.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Haven't caught up yet, but I see Murrell has tried the line about there being 'no intent to mislead', which is obviously bullshit and should be called out for the additional lie it is, but no doubt people have been making some comparisons with another figure who might claim no intent to mislead even though misleading then occurred.

What I cannot figure out is why the lie in the first place, even if they did not anticipate at that point a leadership contest where figures would clearly need to be known.

they have had no reduction in membership fees which seems odd. Sturgeon would never ever admit she was making a pig's ear of it and losing support by the barrowload. They only lived in their bubble thinking they were brilliant.
    You seem to have some good points here, esp. considering that Murrell is the Queen Fish's hubby.

Rather reminiscent (for me anyway) of the 2020 Iowa Democratic presidential precinct caucus meltdown. Which was in large measure due to entrenched, self-serving, hubristic incompetence, in Des Moines AND inside the clogged, super-shitty bowels of the DNC.

AND speaking of piscine royalty, note that in the great Pelican State of Louisiana in the 1930s, the political dominance of the machine famously created by then US Senator Huey Long aka "The Kingfish", collapsed in short order shortly after his assassination. His faction in the state Democratic Party (Louisiana being a one-party state back then) survived, and regained power from time to time, but never with the same level of near-total control.
  • Options
    Reed said:

I wont be watching. Charles is way too politically divisive to be an effective monarch.
    Is he politically divisive? The latest Yougov on the royal family has 79% of Conservative voters, 72% of LD voters and 54% of Labour voters having a favourable view of King Charles. Starmer and Sunak would kill for those ratings
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-
  • Options
    On Donald Trumo this is what Speaker Mccarthy says.

Here we go again — an outrageous abuse of power by a radical DA who lets violent criminals walk as he pursues political vengeance against President Trump. I’m directing relevant committees to immediately investigate if federal funds are being used to subvert our democracy by interfering in elections with politically motivated prosecutions.

3:07 PM · Mar 18, 2023

·

3.6M

Views

https://twitter.com/SpeakerMcCarthy/status/1637108358208421888?s=20
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The ravens are leaving Murrel towers...

@LesleyRiddoch
    Good to see Peter Murrell has gone. Winning elections is one thing. Turning the SNP into a closed shop with a corporate, stage-managed conference is another. Membership row is just the last straw. Scotland & Indy need a more open SNP, w/o a police investigation hanging over it.

Really desperate times when Lesley is chastising The Murrells, the end is nigh. All we need to see is Ruth Wishart get the picture and you know it really is the end.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    It will be very funny if Humza does win now. Various people angry with status quo and party establishment but elect Mr Continuity.

At the end of the day the members were all busy defending continuity up until Sturgeon announced, hard to switch.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

New Zealand is a monarchy, and ironically the US media seems to carry *more* press about the royals than the UK does.
    Reckon that YOU have WAY more "connection with the average Brit" than either Meghan OR the Vicar of Bray.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

Say it ain’t so?
    No, there almost certainly would be a President Blair or President Johnson. We are a P5 permanent UN Security Council member and member of the G7 and G20 not a small country like Ireland but equivalent to the US and France and would likely have a powerful directly elected President like them if we were a republic.

Even if we only had a ceremonial President elected by Parliament it would more likely be President Hague or President Ed Miliband than President Rowling (who is hated now by trans activists anyway). Even the current Irish President is an ex Labour politician
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Is he politically divisive? The latest Yougov on the royal family has 79% of Conservative voters, 72% of LD voters and 54% of Labour voters having a favourable view of King Charles. Starmer and Sunak would kill for those ratings
    Given recent opinion polls that means about 40% have an unfavourable view of Charles. Not good.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It will be very funny if Humza does win now. Various people angry with status quo and party establishment but elect Mr Continuity.

Be a court case for certain.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@LesleyRiddoch
    Good to see Peter Murrell has gone. Winning elections is one thing. Turning the SNP into a closed shop with a corporate, stage-managed conference is another. Membership row is just the last straw. Scotland & Indy need a more open SNP, w/o a police investigation hanging over it.

Really desperate times when Lesley is chastising The Murrells, the end is nigh. All we need to see is Ruth Wishart get the picture and you know it really is the end.
    Are you feeling vindicated Malc ?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Reed said:

HYUFD said:

Reed said:

Given recent opinion polls that means about 40% have an unfavourable view of Charles. Not good.
    Nope, only 29% have an unfavourable view of Charles. Again ratings Sunak or Starmer would kill for
    https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/leosln75nr/Internal_Royals_230111.pdf
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@GlennBBC

The way things are going is the NEC going to remain quorate?
    Russel is as bad if not worse than Murrell
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

RobD said:

Poor form to disbelieve me. Of all the things that need changing, the monarchy is so low down the list of priorities that it's not even on the radar. So as I said, not anti, just not interested.
    Based on all todays chatter I was thinking it must be the early April bank holiday, turns out it is not til May! And I thought Christmas started too early.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,440
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@LesleyRiddoch

I have to say that I am surprised that Peter Murrell hasn't been allowed to bow out with dignity when Nicola formally stands down. Being forced out at the point of a gun - threat of no-confidence motion - is quite extraordinary. There must be blood all over the walls. The Kate Forbes hostile takeover attempt is quite a thing.
  • Options
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You are utterly wrong.

Say it ain’t so?
    "There would never be a . . . President Johnson"

USA has already had two! Never say never?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@LesleyRiddoch

I have to say that I am surprised that Peter Murrell hasn't been allowed to bow out with dignity when Nicola formally stands down. Being forced out at the point of a gun - threat of no-confidence motion - is quite extraordinary. There must be blood all over the walls. The Kate Forbes hostile takeover attempt is quite a thing.
    The contagion is spreading, the rats are running.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He’s taking it well

I seem to remember reading an analysis of his tweets in the run up to the 2016 election. They noticed the language started off relatively 'mature' and by the end was, seemingly, aimed at people with a reading age of around 11.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I don't buy into the notion that most people dislike pageantry, and expect Heads of State/Government to live like council tenants.

The inaugurations of the French and US Presidents are full of pageantry.
This discussion has been closed.