Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Chester will be Rishi’s first by-election test – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Ghedebrav said:

Glorious night of football. I don’t really have a huge animus against Germany; despite being an England fan (albeit not generally that arsed) I find the supposed rivalry a bit cringeworthy, given it is not reciprocated at all. A bit like how the Scots must feel, I guess.

England’s most interesting rivalry is with Argentina, predating the Falklands war and fairly evenly felt on both sides.

Personally though the one team I find particular irritating are Portugal, who seen to get a lot of luck and are full of unlikable players (CR7 obvs). No doubt they’ll ponce their way into the semis.

Yes they are the team I'd least like to see win.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited December 2022

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Farage gives his own take on the Hussey affair, unsurprisingly he thinks '@GBNEWS
    ·
    25s

Official
    'My view is that Fulani planned this right from the very start. She’s an anti-Royal, anti-British Marxist!’

@Nigel_Farage
    criticises charity boss Ngozi Fulani after she accused the late Queen's lady in waiting Lady Susan Hussey of racism.'
    https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1598400187130470400?s=20&t=aP53Vbtrs2jVPRkURTzgyg

Surely it's only a matter of time before Farage becomes leader of the Reform Party. And then they'll probably be on 10-15% which is probably terminal for the Tories' chances at the next election.
    The Tories aren't going to win anyway, Farage leading Reform and getting 10%+ would just increase the loss further.

Sunak and Hunt would take the blame for a bad defeat and the Conservatives would then swing further right under Badenoch or Braverman or even Mogg in opposition to win back voters lost to Reform.

However provided Sunak can get a grip on migration levels and Hunt can cut taxes by the next election I think they can keep leaks to RefUK down Farage or no Farage and an outside chance of a hung parliament
    Fair points, but as far as anyone can tell, we can't squash migration without totally borking the economy. Certainly on a two year timescale.

So.

I know this is a bad question, it depends on lumpy distribution, but what vote share gives RefUK a decent chance of a noticeable number of MPs?
    25 to 30%, however if they got that much then Farage's party would likely have overtaken the Tories as the main opposition anyway
    Tories need to ditch Sunak/Hunt. And try to dodge a Boris comeback.
    The problem isn't Sunak or Hunt. It's that things are shitty, and the Tories don't look like they can change that. Given the MPs only went with Sunak and Hunt seemingly through lack of alternative options, given they'd surely have stuck with cutting taxes if they felt it was possible, changing leaders isn't going to change direction.
    I'm sorry; I don't think that's the case. There's no reason why we can't:

-Address the pull factors for illegal migrants. Even France has started to question why we're not doing this

-License more domestic oil and gas production NOW

-Work with the BOE to find an alternative to subsidising its qt programme with 11bn taxpayers' money

Three things that any Government worth shit would do on day 1. This Government isn't doing it because they're not governing to advance the interests of the UK; they're doing it to get slapped on the back at Davos.
    I don't see why a change in leader would result in any of that happening though.

The government is already anti illegal immigration, so why would a new leader be any tougher on it or better at addressing it?

On the second I'm in favour of licensing such matters, but the parliamentary party don't appear to be, the fracking vote was a final straw for many of them, so again a new leader doesn't seem likely to lead to a change of policy there, even in a non fracking way.

The third one admittedly I don't know enough about, but the mass of Tory MPs don't appear to be clamouring for it, so won't pick a leader who would do it.

Ditching Sunak and Hunt achieves nothing if the policy options are either limited, or they limit themselves on policy - and either results in the same thing.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,617
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Josef Mengel, Ludwig Beethoven, the Demon of Auschwitz, Klaus Barbie, Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goring, Adolf Eichmann, Otto Globocnik, Martin Bormann, the inventor of the currywurst, your boys took a hell of a beating

In the best traditions of PB pedantry I feel I must point out Eichmann and Globo were pretty much Austrian.
    Pretty harsh on Beethoven, too.
    He didn’t even like football.
    Beethoven was a huge fan of 5 day test matches; no other sport engaged his interest.

• Options
    Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Farage gives his own take on the Hussey affair, unsurprisingly he thinks '@GBNEWS
    ·
    25s

Official
    'My view is that Fulani planned this right from the very start. She’s an anti-Royal, anti-British Marxist!’

@Nigel_Farage
    criticises charity boss Ngozi Fulani after she accused the late Queen's lady in waiting Lady Susan Hussey of racism.'
    https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1598400187130470400?s=20&t=aP53Vbtrs2jVPRkURTzgyg

That the Palace took action rather shows his take is over generous to Hussey.
    No it doesn't. The palace is Chas n Baldy, and they are thick billionaires on the run from ghastly Meghan. Cock things up, overreact, shout at some understandings, job done.
    Would that be the ghastly Meghan who claims that some of the Palace courtiers were racist? 🤔

Yes. There are fights where you want both sides to lose, and there are people of colour who play the race card, when it's actually because they is them. Any of that need further exposition?

You are longing for me to be a racist because I pointed out your participation in the monkey grunting, hate filled nazi cesspit which is English football fandom. You pay big money to perpetuate this shit. I, conversely, am so colour blind that I would never in a million years have realised Meghan was anything other than a non blonde white person, if she didn't bang on about it.
    As I pointed out earlier, I have never heard racist abuse at a Leicester City game and I have been a season ticket holder for two decades.

Your ideas of football crowds seem more like experience of St Petersburg or Moscow.
    That would be the Moscow you went to for the world cup? You are like a middle class coke wanker denying any connection with Colombian cartel murders.
    I didn't hear any racist abuse at the WC Semi-final in St Petersburg either. I watched the final in Moscow, but not at the game. The Russians were excellent hosts. It is the Russian club fans that do the racism. Leicester City got some monkey chants etc from Spartak Moscow fans away in the Europa League last year, but I wasn't at the match
    Sure.

I like to do a line or three at the weekend and I have never seen someone being flayed alive and he's hampered from resisting cos his hands have been chainsawed off (well I have, but only on video, and that's why I don't do the lines).

You buy the tickets, you are complicit in this.
  • Options

Some really good info available here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/maps

Not what the Guardian would have us believe:

Overall, 51.7% of households in England and Wales in 2021 (12.8 million) were deprived in at least one of these dimensions (51.6% of households in England and 54.1% of households in Wales). The number of households deprived in at least one dimension has decreased since 2011, when it was 13.5 million (57.6%).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/householdcharacteristics/homeinternetandsocialmediausage/bulletins/householdandresidentcharacteristicsenglandandwales/census2021#:~:text=Overall, 51.7% of households in,was 13.5 million (57.6%).
    I'm pretty confident it will be worse in 2032, but by that point it will be an 8 year Labour government's problem.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Glorious night of football. I don’t really have a huge animus against Germany; despite being an England fan (albeit not generally that arsed) I find the supposed rivalry a bit cringeworthy, given it is not reciprocated at all. A bit like how the Scots must feel, I guess.

England’s most interesting rivalry is with Argentina, predating the Falklands war and fairly evenly felt on both sides.

Personally though the one team I find particular irritating are Portugal, who seen to get a lot of luck and are full of unlikable players (CR7 obvs). No doubt they’ll ponce their way into the semis.

Yes they are the team I'd least like to see win.
    France? Two world cups on the trot, a rugby World Cup and the Olympics. Got to be a good case to be made for them not winning.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

·
    25s

Official

@Nigel_Farage

Surely it's only a matter of time before Farage becomes leader of the Reform Party. And then they'll probably be on 10-15% which is probably terminal for the Tories' chances at the next election.
    The Tories aren't going to win anyway, Farage leading Reform and getting 10%+ would just increase the loss further.

Sunak and Hunt would take the blame for a bad defeat and the Conservatives would then swing further right under Badenoch or Braverman or even Mogg in opposition to win back voters lost to Reform.

However provided Sunak can get a grip on migration levels and Hunt can cut taxes by the next election I think they can keep leaks to RefUK down Farage or no Farage and an outside chance of a hung parliament
    Fair points, but as far as anyone can tell, we can't squash migration without totally borking the economy. Certainly on a two year timescale.

So.

I know this is a bad question, it depends on lumpy distribution, but what vote share gives RefUK a decent chance of a noticeable number of MPs?
    25 to 30%, however if they got that much then Farage's party would likely have overtaken the Tories as the main opposition anyway
    The problem isn't Sunak or Hunt. It's that things are shitty, and the Tories don't look like they can change that. Given the MPs only went with Sunak and Hunt seemingly through lack of alternative options, given they'd surely have stuck with cutting taxes if they felt it was possible, changing leaders isn't going to change direction.

-Address the pull factors for illegal migrants. Even France has started to question why we're not doing this

-Work with the BOE to find an alternative to subsidising its qt programme with 11bn taxpayers' money

Three things that any Government worth shit would do on day 1. This Government isn't doing it because they're not governing to advance the interests of the UK; they're doing it to get slapped on the back at Davos.
    Re your last sentence Sunak and Hunt are doing it in UKs interest as seen in the rise in the pound to £1.22 after Truss hapless budget had it down to £1.03 and mortgage rates are coming down as will inflation over the next 6 months

Sunak and Hunt may not receive the credit, but they most certainly are acting in the UKs best interests unlike the right wingers and Farage apologists who are self destructing the party

Indeed Sunak and Hunt are the conservative party's only hope of mitigating the colossal damage caused by Johnson in the first place and then multiplied several tines over by Truss
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    I've just seen that that Megan and Harry are going to give a no holes barred interview about their ill treatment at the hands of the Prince's family.......

Does anyone think the multi millionaire couple are being well advised to choose this moment for their misery memoir when those in the UK can't afford to heat themselves or rely on the NHS to treat them even if they're at deaths door?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Josef Mengel, Ludwig Beethoven, the Demon of Auschwitz, Klaus Barbie, Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goring, Adolf Eichmann, Otto Globocnik, Martin Bormann, the inventor of the currywurst, your boys took a hell of a beating

In the best traditions of PB pedantry I feel I must point out Eichmann and Globo were pretty much Austrian.
    Beethoven was a huge fan of 5 day test matches; no other sport engaged his interest.

People urged him to try the 20/20 format, but he was deaf to their entreaties. Completely past oral persuasion.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,631

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.
    Clearly in imo. Pundits daft to comment before seeing the overhead or technology pictures.

In another picture Spain now come to Englands half as likely semi final opponent.

England. Would have to come past Senegal, France, Spain, Brazil to lift it in all likelihood. Far too stiff for England, makes England a poor bet as winners, and impossible for France and Spain to meet in the final too.
    That's a tough path, yes. But it's doable. I think the odds on us are about right.
    Incredibly one team will win all their games after the group stages, no matter how improbable that seems. Happens in the FA Cup too - one side wins all their games…
    The FA cup is great example - good runs and winning it tend to come from sequence of favourable draws not the hardest sequence of matches. tighter matches tend to come down to the fine lines you can do little about, tougher sequences you can play well but still go out. See off France, only for Spain and then Brazil to be waiting 😟

I also don’t like idea of expansion to 44 teams, the symmetry of last 32, last 16 would be buggered. I also don’t like as many as 3 host nations none of which have a chance of winning it. This could be the last good World Cup ever.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,199
    EXCLUSIVE: A joint investigation by TalkTV and The Sun can reveal a senior Conservative MP has been reported to the police over a string of alleged rapes and sexual assaults. But the backbench MP has not been suspended by Tory party bosses.

@KateEMcCann https://twitter.com/FirstEdition/status/1598438921649754112/video/1
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Roger said:

I've just seen that that Megan and Harry are going to give a no holes barred interview about their ill treatment at the hands of the Prince's family.......

Does anyone think the multi millionaire couple are being well advised to choose this moment for their misery memoir when those in the UK can't afford to heat themselves or rely on the NHS to treat them even if they're at deaths door?

I expect they are aiming for the California market more than the UK market
  • Options
    Roger said:

The situation for the country is not going to be improving any time soon, and at a moment of negative publicity for the Palace it seems an opportune moment for what they have probably been preparing for for a long time. Not really a better moment.

Personally I just find they overegg the emoting it a bit.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314
    Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: A joint investigation by TalkTV and The Sun can reveal a senior Conservative MP has been reported to the police over a string of alleged rapes and sexual assaults. But the backbench MP has not been suspended by Tory party bosses.

@KateEMcCann https://twitter.com/FirstEdition/status/1598438921649754112/video/1

And again, here we go. Alleged. If he is charged suspend him. It’s quite simple.
    It’s not as if we haven’t had examples of ‘ No case to answer’ quite recently is it? What’s the fecking drama here?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Don't parties generally suspend MPs when they are charged? Or if being investigated internally by the party?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,617

algarkirk said:

Cyclefree said:

Coming v late to the Hussey story: if something like that had happened to me, I'd have written a letter to the organisers or through them setting out the conversation, stating that it displayed dreadful bad manners and tactlessness etc rather than rush to the press and say that you don't want someone publicly humiliated - when that is exactly what you've done.

There is a fine line between wanting to find out about family history and the myriad ways in which people have come from different parts of the world to Britain and celebrate that and implying that if your grandparents or great grandparents came from outside Britain you are somehow not British. Lady Susan was on the wrong side of that line.

As for charities, I am increasingly of the view that a very large percentage of them are scams which spend more on employing people and making people feel good about themselves than on doing anything useful for anyone else.

Osborne should have stuck to his guns over limiting the amount of tax relief donors to charities can claim. I'd have reduced the tax relief to zero. You should do charitable work because you want to help others not to get some tax advantage.

Agree with paras 1,2 and 3. The final point is better dealt with thus: have a proper and robust definition and oversight of charities, limit their number but continue to encourage giving to them in a tax efficient way Gift Aid allows. It is of immense value to genuine charities.

In particular 'starting a charity' - a new one - (especially to 'raise awareness') feels more like therapy for the founder and attention seeking that doing actual good. (Some are personal job creation schemes for the founder and their family). When there are already a million charities, starting a new one instead of joining an older one seems almost always the worst option.

Years ago, Mrs Romford was asked the University Interview Question "A relative has bequeathed a million pounds to do good in the world. What would you advise?"

Part of the right answer was recognising that it wasn't very much money and the best thing would be to put it into something bigger.

I'm very glad she got it right enough, or she probably wouldn't be Mrs Romford.
    Yes. But I know a charity which does a little bit of good for a few people with £200 a year, another that does so with £1500; and plenty that waste millions.

I know another small charity funding a small development project in Africa. When UK trustees go and visit they pay personally every penny of their costs. I am very happy to give to their cause, while less happy to give to lots of others.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.
    Clearly in imo. Pundits daft to comment before seeing the overhead or technology pictures.

In another picture Spain now come to Englands half as likely semi final opponent.

England. Would have to come past Senegal, France, Spain, Brazil to lift it in all likelihood. Far too stiff for England, makes England a poor bet as winners, and impossible for France and Spain to meet in the final too.
    That's a tough path, yes. But it's doable. I think the odds on us are about right.
    Incredibly one team will win all their games after the group stages, no matter how improbable that seems. Happens in the FA Cup too - one side wins all their games…
    The FA cup is great example - good runs and winning it tend to come from sequence of favourable draws not the hardest sequence of matches. tighter matches tend to come down to the fine lines you can do little about, tougher sequences you can play well but still go out. See off France, only for Spain and then Brazil to be waiting 😟

I also don’t like idea of expansion to 44 teams, the symmetry of last 32, last 16 would be buggered. I also don’t like as many as 3 host nations none of which have a chance of winning it. This could be the last good World Cup ever.
    They should create a combined World Cup for the ultimate sports team.

Group Stage Darts/Snooker/Boxing
    Final 16. Basketball
    Quarter Finals football
    Semi Finals Rugby Union
    Final Cricket.

I’d like to see a team compete at all these disciplines.
  • Options
    Roger said:

What gets me is, they are publishing his moanathon in early January. I would have given a copy it to every single person I ever give a Christmas present to. I either know, or have met, his dad, depending where you stand on the paternity thing, and they are both pretty thick, but Di must have added some epic moronicity into the mix.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oof. Especially this bit:

And a third Tory MP is also on bail over a separate rape allegation and has been told to avoid the Parliamentary estate while inquiries are conducted.

1992-7 was bad, but this feels worse on every level.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I thought he was a baseball fan. Didn't he write a symphony for each inning?
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Roger said:

What gets me is, they are publishing his moanathon in early January. I would have given a copy it to every single person I ever give a Christmas present to. I either know, or have met, his dad, depending where you stand on the paternity thing, and they are both pretty thick, but Di must have added some epic moronicity into the mix.
    You didn't go to the same school as me did you?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Ghedebrav said:

I feel exactly the same.
    Portugal are the biggest cheats in Europe.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,525
    edited December 2022
    Ghedebrav said:

In my experience the Germans very much feel the rivalry in reverse, except that they come at it with a sense they generally win, but not always. They get nervy

But boy do they want England to lose, in general. For the usual reasons. English arrogance, the English language, English media, "football's coming home" etc etc
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    I was wrong. The ball was in. The recently released photographs show it being in by 1-2mm.

I’m not sure there is an easier half of the draw TBH - in many ways I’d rather avoid the South American teams and take on France and Spain.

France will probably win the tournament.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Said it before, say it again : if they published now I would buy 25 hard copies as Xmas presents. Publish early January, I will not be buying any copies as Burns night presents.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

In my experience the Germans very much feel the rivalry in reverse, except that they come at it with a sense they generally win, but not always. They get nervy

But boy do they want England to lose, in general. For the usual reasons. English arrogance, the English language, English media, "football's coming home" etc etc
    Watched the Euros Germany game with a bunch of Germans at work. It all started very friendly and generous, but as events unfolded things got a bit weird.

They definitely expected to win and were in shock when they didn’t. The English were conversely delighted.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,014
    edited December 2022

Scott_xP said:

And again, here we go. Alleged. If he is charged suspend him. It’s quite simple.
    It’s not as if we haven’t had examples of ‘ No case to answer’ quite recently is it? What’s the fecking drama here?
    Doesn't apply in teaching. You'd be escorted off the premises on an allegation.
    Why are MP's different?
  • Options
    Roger said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

I did not, but I do hang out in the west country a lot.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,914

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

·
    25s

Official

@Nigel_Farage

So.

Re your last sentence Sunak and Hunt are doing it in UKs interest as seen in the rise in the pound to £1.22 after Truss hapless budget had it down to £1.03 and mortgage rates are coming down as will inflation over the next 6 months

Sunak and Hunt may not receive the credit, but they most certainly are acting in the UKs best interests unlike the right wingers and Farage apologists who are self destructing the party

Indeed Sunak and Hunt are the conservative party's only hope of mitigating the colossal damage caused by Johnson in the first place and then multiplied several tines over by Truss
    Much of that rise, alas, seems to be due to fluctiations in the dollar itself, as I am told by some.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238

I was wrong. The ball was in. The recently released photographs show it being in by 1-2mm.

I’m not sure there is an easier half of the draw TBH - in many ways I’d rather avoid the South American teams and take on France and Spain.

Ladbrokes quote 5/1 on France. Compared with 9/4 for Brazil, which is absurd, seems value.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Watched the Euros Germany game with a bunch of Germans at work. It all started very friendly and generous, but as events unfolded things got a bit weird.

They definitely expected to win and were in shock when they didn’t. The English were conversely delighted.
    Friend of mine watched the Euro final (England v Italy) with lots of Germans in Portugal. Said they were all desperate for England to lose

I've witnessed that elsewhere with Germans. Good natured but a definite hint of mild menace underneath, vis a vis England/UK

All that gloating about "Two World Wars" probably does goad them - as it is meant to
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Agreed. It’s a reciprocal rivalry. The OP is bollocks.

That said Germany’s main rivals are the Netherlands.

(And by the way our rivalry with Scotland is reciprocal - it might not be what it was but it’s still a proper derby match)

• Options

Scott_xP said:

And a third Tory MP is also on bail over a separate rape allegation and has been told to avoid the Parliamentary estate while inquiries are conducted.

Yawn. Terrible thing is, I did know who the third tory mp is and I have simply forgotten cos it's such a boring bit of info.

Let's not forget why today's by election is happening.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Roger said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

We used to have a poster called Zee who hung out in West Country a lot. You could be our replacement poster for West Country news.

Is cream production on track for Christmas?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Japan have beaten both Spain and Germany. Now in the "easy" half of the draw.
    Have a manager who makes decisive, competent changes at halftime which alter the game entirely.
    Worth a nibble at 80-1. Each way? 50-1 to make the final.
    I reckon so.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Ladbrokes quote 5/1 on France. Compared with 9/4 for Brazil, which is absurd, seems value.
    I keep thinking about munching up the 5/1 on France but so far haven’t done so. I might have a nibble a demain.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,791
    edited December 2022
    Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Final 16. Basketball
    Quarter Finals football
    Semi Finals Rugby Union
    Final Cricket.

That’s an excellent idea, but the group stage should be something more team-sporty. Ice Hockey, Kabaddi, Rowing? Final should probably be football, so there’s a chance of it going to penalties.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Why are MP's different?
    They make their own rules? And police themselves?
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

(And by the way our rivalry with Scotland is reciprocal - it might not be what it was but it’s still a proper derby match)

Almost every significant football team feels a certain rivalry with England, and ups their game more or less. Comes from us owning a quarter of the world (in living memory) and imposing our language everywhere, and inventing all these sports. Makes you a target

This is even truer in rugby and cricket, of course. They all want to beat England and take pleasure in it
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825
    pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

·
    25s

Official

@Nigel_Farage

No it doesn't. The palace is Chas n Baldy, and they are thick billionaires on the run from ghastly Meghan. Cock things up, overreact, shout at some understandings, job done.
    Would that be the ghastly Meghan who claims that some of the Palace courtiers were racist? 🤔

Yes. There are fights where you want both sides to lose, and there are people of colour who play the race card, when it's actually because they is them. Any of that need further exposition?

You are longing for me to be a racist because I pointed out your participation in the monkey grunting, hate filled nazi cesspit which is English football fandom. You pay big money to perpetuate this shit. I, conversely, am so colour blind that I would never in a million years have realised Meghan was anything other than a non blonde white person, if she didn't bang on about it.
    As I pointed out earlier, I have never heard racist abuse at a Leicester City game and I have been a season ticket holder for two decades.

Your ideas of football crowds seem more like experience of St Petersburg or Moscow.
    That would be the Moscow you went to for the world cup? You are like a middle class coke wanker denying any connection with Colombian cartel murders.
    I didn't hear any racist abuse at the WC Semi-final in St Petersburg either. I watched the final in Moscow, but not at the game. The Russians were excellent hosts. It is the Russian club fans that do the racism. Leicester City got some monkey chants etc from Spartak Moscow fans away in the Europa League last year, but I wasn't at the match
    Sure.

I like to do a line or three at the weekend and I have never seen someone being flayed alive and he's hampered from resisting cos his hands have been chainsawed off (well I have, but only on video, and that's why I don't do the lines).

You should cut back on the coke. It has driven you deranged. I don't touch the stuff myself.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Final 16. Basketball
    Quarter Finals football
    Semi Finals Rugby Union
    Final Cricket.

That’s an excellent idea, but the group stage should be something more team-sporty. Ice Hockey, Kabaddi, Rowing? Final should probably be football, so there’s a chance of it going to penalties.
    They should bring back Superstars.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,026

Scott_xP said:

There really is a spate of this at the moment (not just Tories either) - tonight’s by-election, and the Wakefield one, Hartlepool before that - but also Pincher, Burns, these three unnamed here. Elphicke too, Griffiths, Garnier. Porn tractor guy is another.

I’ve probably missed a few, and no doubt there are yet others who haven’t been rumbled. But just thinking that in my place of work, if there were such frequent incidences of sexual impropriety, assault and worse there would be serious questions being asked about how such a culture was permitted to evolve.

• Options

carnforth said:

I keep thinking about munching up the 5/1 on France but so far haven’t done so. I might have a nibble a demain.
    I got 6/1 and £15. Feels like value, just about - France will have to beat England (if we beat Senegal) and likely Spain to reach the final

But as we discussed, it's an emotional hedge
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

It was a tense game of fine margins, Sterling’s amazing through ball should have been put away, but the Germans passed the opportunity.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Final 16. Basketball
    Quarter Finals football
    Semi Finals Rugby Union
    Final Cricket.

That’s an excellent idea, but the group stage should be something more team-sporty. Ice Hockey? Final should probably be football, so there’s a chance of it going to penalties.
    I buy hockey.

Imagine the trade offs as you form a team. Second Row would be great in goal and shooting hoops.

I’d like to see Ronaldo go 1:1 with Itoje. Stokes would be a good all rounder.

End the competition with a one day cricket match. Could Mbappe bowl?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Why are MP's different?
    In a lot of jobs tbf.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Every World Cup, someone says this will be the last good World Cup ever.

I think expanding to 48 is a great idea, the more football, the better.

Every tournament expansion has been resisted by the whingers and the whiners, and every expansion has been vindicated.

Anyone fancy returning to the Euros with eight teams? No.

The North American World Cup in 2026 will be superb. Mark my words.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Cyclefree said:

Coming v late to the Hussey story: if something like that had happened to me, I'd have written a letter to the organisers or through them setting out the conversation, stating that it displayed dreadful bad manners and tactlessness etc rather than rush to the press and say that you don't want someone publicly humiliated - when that is exactly what you've done.

There is a fine line between wanting to find out about family history and the myriad ways in which people have come from different parts of the world to Britain and celebrate that and implying that if your grandparents or great grandparents came from outside Britain you are somehow not British. Lady Susan was on the wrong side of that line.

As for charities, I am increasingly of the view that a very large percentage of them are scams which spend more on employing people and making people feel good about themselves than on doing anything useful for anyone else.

Osborne should have stuck to his guns over limiting the amount of tax relief donors to charities can claim. I'd have reduced the tax relief to zero. You should do charitable work because you want to help others not to get some tax advantage.

Agree with paras 1,2 and 3. The final point is better dealt with thus: have a proper and robust definition and oversight of charities, limit their number but continue to encourage giving to them in a tax efficient way Gift Aid allows. It is of immense value to genuine charities.

In particular 'starting a charity' - a new one - (especially to 'raise awareness') feels more like therapy for the founder and attention seeking that doing actual good. (Some are personal job creation schemes for the founder and their family). When there are already a million charities, starting a new one instead of joining an older one seems almost always the worst option.

Years ago, Mrs Romford was asked the University Interview Question "A relative has bequeathed a million pounds to do good in the world. What would you advise?"

Part of the right answer was recognising that it wasn't very much money and the best thing would be to put it into something bigger.

I'm very glad she got it right enough, or she probably wouldn't be Mrs Romford.
    Hmm, decades back a businessman active in a field related to my work died and the family gave me some money to help students and so on attend the main annual conference of the relevant professional group.

Instead of setting up our own charity etc we parked it as a separate capital fund within the existing holdings of a related but charitable professional body (in the same general field, and covering our work as part of that). Minimal admin costs, they're relaxed about it because it's all part of the same really, and if our group dies a natural death they'll be the best people to find a good use for the money. Even better, it's acted as a seed and attracted more money from conference auctions, gifts, etc.

Now I find I've been missing out?! (That last comment is not serious.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,817

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I thought he was a baseball fan. Didn't he write a symphony for each inning?
    Don’t know - I never got to the bottom of the Ninth.

But there is the Over to Joy, so the cricket story seems plausible.
  • Options

England definitely in harder half of draw. Denmark in quarters and Germans in semi’s, as fourfourtwo suggested and would have been nice, is long gone.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Almost every significant football team feels a certain rivalry with England, and ups their game more or less. Comes from us owning a quarter of the world (in living memory) and imposing our language everywhere, and inventing all these sports. Makes you a target

This is even truer in rugby and cricket, of course. They all want to beat England and take pleasure in it
    Living memory? Exaggeration. Canada, Australia etc were independent well before 1914.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

I got 6/1 and £15. Feels like value, just about - France will have to beat England (if we beat Senegal) and likely Spain to reach the final

But as we discussed, it's an emotional hedge
    I’m thinking of wagering a twenty spot on France to win the whole thing as well as backing any opponent England face to qualify. Couldn’t care less if I lose £200 if it means we win the World Cup.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Why are MP's different?
    In a lot of jobs tbf.
    Well. Yes indeed. This is the job I do though, so I know.
    The whole "should be suspended only if charged", simply doesn't apply in the real world outside Parliament.
  • Options
    The BFI’s current list of the 100 best films of all time has precious few British entries.
    https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time
  • Options
    edited December 2022

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Every tournament expansion has been resisted by the whingers and the whiners, and every expansion has been vindicated.

You don’t think there can be too much of a good thing? Get the formulae wrong and ruin it?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    dixiedean said:

Ghedebrav said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Why are MP's different?
    In a lot of jobs tbf.
    The whole "should be suspended only if charged", simply doesn't apply in the real world outside Parliament.
    Quite. You get sent home on paid leave during the investigation. But summary dismissal can be an option if it's serious enough.

Though, of course, employment laws don't apply to MPs cos they're not employed by anyone, least of all the Party. So the analogy does fall down a bit there. Still, fairness would dictate roughly comparable procedures.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Agree. Like to see 8 groups of 6 or 12 of 4 rather than 16 of 3 though. Win your first and you shut the second game down. Don't like that at all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

Foxy said:

pillsbury said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

·
    25s

Official

@Nigel_Farage

Sure.

You should cut back on the coke. It has driven you deranged. I don't touch the stuff myself.
    Like I said in brackets, I don't do the lines; haven't done coke since the early 90s. For reasons related to the indirect, but not very indirect, effects of financing the system.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    dixiedean said:

Ghedebrav said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Why are MP's different?
    In a lot of jobs tbf.
    Not in my job either. Indeed you can be suspended for taking extra croutons. Really.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/mar/25/nhsstaff.politics
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

48 games to reduce from 48 teams to 32? Pretty much every one of the last set of games will either be a dead rubber or risk being a new Disgrace.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Ghedebrav said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Why are MP's different?
    In a lot of jobs tbf.
    Quite. You get sent home on paid leave during the investigation. But summary dismissal can be an option if it's serious enough.

Though, of course, employment laws don't apply to MPs cos they're not employed by anyone, least of all the Party. So the analogy does fall down a bit there. Still, fairness would dictate roughly comparable procedures.
    It's the whole basis of safeguarding and enhanced DBS too.
    Parliament has passed laws to say that allegations which fall short of criminal charges are grounds for suspension, dismissal or barring across a swathe of public sector posts.
    Which shouldn't apply to MP's apparently.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Turkey continues to play a blinder on Ukraine.

Sink these Putin. We just dare you....

https://twitter.com/uasupport999/status/1598443335794020367
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

I do *slightly* worry about oversaturation with an extra 16 matches, but I’m pleased that the extra berths have been weighted away from the already-overrepresented UEFA and CONMEBOL. We’ll have at least eight African teams, and at least nine Asian teams too.

Interestingly, we could end up with two teams from Oceania - one is basically guaranteed to be New Zealand, who if the format stays the same will likely have a spot forever. The other slot will probably a perennial playoff loser and not make it, but I guess you never know.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The BFI’s current list of the 100 best films of all time has precious few British entries.

Some great films in there and some that I don't know. I have seen 37 of them.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

We used to have a poster called Zee who hung out in West Country a lot. You could be our replacement poster for West Country news.

Only cream I am producing is crime passionnel, if you get my drift.
  • Options
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

48 games to reduce from 48 teams to 32? Pretty much every one of the last set of games will either be a dead rubber or risk being a new Disgrace.
    What is the purpose of the World Cup Finals?

If it is really to be to find the best national team, you want an all-play-all league of the top eight nations with everyone else eliminated in the prelims. That doesn't sound fun.

At the other extreme, it's a global soccer party, and the more the merrier.

Everything in between is a compromise.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Agree. Like to see 8 groups of 6 or 12 of 4 rather than 16 of 3 though. Win your first and you shut the second game down. Don't like that at all.
    It does sound rather bloated.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

What an incredibly wanky, embarrassing, pretentious list. How many French-Belgian movies do you need to prove you are "cultured"?

No Exorcist, no Star Wars, no Jaws, indeed no Spielberg, which confirms it is idiotic

Pff!
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

I don’t. I bunked off all the pointless French lessons.

What’s the point learning French when most people go on holiday to Spain or Greece, might as be useful and teach us that instead?
  • Options
    edited December 2022

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

You don’t think there can be too much of a good thing? Get the formulae wrong and ruin it?
    Yes, clearly if the opening showpiece is the Turks and Caicos Islands vs Gibraltar we will have gone a tad too far.

But it can handle 48 or even 64 teams quite easily. A 64 team World Cup in England with matches at the following would be viable and brilliant.

St James’ Park
    Stadium of Light
    Elland Road
    Hillsborough
    Anfield
    Bradley Moore Dock
    Eastlands
    Old Trafford
    City Ground (extended as planned)
    Villa Park
    White Hart Lane
    Highbury
    Wembley
    Stamford Bridge
    Falmer

• Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No Withnail.

These people have no idea what they are talking about.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

What’s the point learning French when most people go on holiday to Spain or Greece, might as be useful and teach us that instead?
    France is the most visited country in the world.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Yes, clearly if the opening showpiece is the Turks and Caicos Islands vs Gibraltar we will have gone a tad too far.

But it can handle 48 or even 64 teams quite easily. A 64 team World Cup in England with matches at the following would be viable and brilliant.

St James’ Park
    Stadium of Light
    Elland Road
    Hillsborough
    Anfield
    Bradley Moore Dock
    Eastlands
    Old Trafford
    Villa Park
    White Hart Lane
    Highbury
    Wembley
    Stamford Bridge
    Falmer

Anfield is under size for internationals. Pitch dimensions that is.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Thanks for that. Some very fine films there though it's very different to any list I've seen before and a long way from any list I'd make. I haven't even seen two of the top ten including No1.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,060
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

What an incredibly wanky, embarrassing, pretentious list. How many French-Belgian movies do you need to prove you are "cultured"?

No Exorcist, no Star Wars, no Jaws, indeed no Spielberg, which confirms it is idiotic

Pff!
    I knew you wouldn't like it. To be fair if you look at the big climbers - Beau Travail, Imitation of Life and ones I've never heard of like Meshes In the Afternoon and Killer Of Sheep they do seem to fit the current fad for identity stuff.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

pillsbury said:

Roger said:

Only an English speaker could say that the point of learning a language is to go on holiday.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

Agreed. Don’t like the three in a group idea and I think they might change it - indeed there are hints that they might. I really like the model where some third places qualify - avoids dead rubbers and appeals to maths geeks like me. Euro 2020 was nirvana.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No Withnail.

On the other hand it does have the Czech classic "Daisies" possibly the most unusual film that I have seen. Some Tarkovsky films too that are rarely seen in the West. His film making is astonishing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I have endured "The Piano" (number 50), and L'Atalante (36). They shoudn't be in a top 10,000 let alone a top 100

And as for the number 1?

"A magnificent epic of experimental cinema offering a feminist perspective on recurrent events of everyday life."

3 and a half hours of Franco-Belgian "avant garde cinema", which is "directed by a woman"

You can here the poncey Woke BFI self-pleasuring from up here in NW1
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It’s always a fascinating list, but with a few odd choices (and omissions - no Almodovar, no Spielberg, no Herzog). And never quite enough horror or comedy on the list either. Lovely to see Singin’ In The Rain holding its appeal though - and the two Miyazaki entries too.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

St James’ Park
    Stadium of Light
    Elland Road
    Hillsborough
    Anfield
    Bradley Moore Dock
    Eastlands
    Old Trafford
    Villa Park
    White Hart Lane
    Highbury
    Wembley
    Stamford Bridge
    Falmer

Didn’t realise that!

One venue in Liverpool is sufficient anyway.

You could throw in St Mary’s instead of Anfield I guess.

• Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No Withnail.

Hugely overrated film. When the Camberwell carrot is your biggest meme, you know you've got a stinker on your hands. Hur hur fucking hur. Was probably quite edgy in the 80s.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960
    Nigelb said:

Basically no sci-fi apart from Metropolis and 2001? It's a pretty pretentious list - and I say that as a fairly pretentious film snob.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, there are quite a few I’m planning to get around to watching.
    Like the list or not, it’s interesting.

Though I simply won’t accept that The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly isn’t a finer film than Once Upon a Time in the West.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It’s always a fascinating list, but with a few odd choices (and omissions - no Almodovar, no Spielberg, no Herzog). And never quite enough horror or comedy on the list either. Lovely to see Singin’ In The Rain holding its appeal though - and the two Miyazaki entries too.
    No David Lean
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

It does sound rather bloated.
    you said exactly the same before Euro 2020 and were proved utterly wrong. It’s really quite embarrassing when supporters of the big eight nations say tournaments expanding will lead to “bloating”
  • Options

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep - in by 2mm.

St James’ Park
    Stadium of Light
    Elland Road
    Hillsborough
    Anfield
    Bradley Moore Dock
    Eastlands
    Old Trafford
    Villa Park
    White Hart Lane
    Highbury
    Wembley
    Stamford Bridge
    Falmer

Didn’t realise that!

One venue in Liverpool is sufficient anyway.

You could throw in St Mary’s instead of Anfield I guess.

Yeah. It's the reason it isn't in the Euros bid.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,060
    ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

Basically no sci-fi apart from Metropolis and 2001? It's a pretty pretentious list - and I say that as a fairly pretentious film snob.
    Blade Runner too. I fail to understand the continuing obsession with 2001.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for that. Some very fine films there though it's very different to any list I've seen before and a long way from any list I'd make. I haven't even seen two of the top ten including No1.
    It's only at number one because it is directed by a woman and is feminist. This is pure Woke virtue-signalling
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I have endured "The Piano" (number 50), and L'Atalante (36). They shoudn't be in a top 10,000 let alone a top 100

And as for the number 1?

"A magnificent epic of experimental cinema offering a feminist perspective on recurrent events of everyday life."

3 and a half hours of Franco-Belgian "avant garde cinema", which is "directed by a woman"

That list is total bollocks. Not one Carry On. Not even Khyber or Cleo (which has the greatest line in cinema). No cannonball run.

Honestly, I would have expected some Pixar or Disney classics.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Unconfirmed reports the Russians are on the verge of another notable retreat, this time in Zaporizhzhia region.

The Ukrainians are certainly suggesting it and if so, it could be that they have or will split the Russian front lines into two separate blocks, a long trailed plan

Will be interesting to see if this comes to pass.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Pff!
    It’s a film critics’ list (and I think composed of individual top tens), which explains it a bit.

I rewatched The Exorcist recently - it is *such* a brilliant film though tbh a bit close to home with my 5 year old daughter’s increasingly fraught bedtimes :/

A fair few of the entries on there are frankly boring, even if they have artistic merit. Why you’d have the turgid Barry Lyndon over the brilliant Clockwork Orange, I don’t know (for example).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

And as for the number 1?

That list is total bollocks. Not one Carry On. Not even Khyber or Cleo (which has the greatest line in cinema). No cannonball run.

Yeah, can't be bothered to look, but it don't mean a thing if it ain't got Toy Story and TS2, alien and aliens and at least 3 monty python films.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No David Lean
    If Lawrence of Arabia isn't there it isn't a credible list.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

·
    25s

Official

@Nigel_Farage

So.

Boris was polling higher than Sunak is now when he resigned and far higher than Truss was.
    He was, but it's still misleading, since Sunak is having to deal with the aftermath of a party made mutinous by Boris's incompetence (as was Truss), and also Truss's demolition of the Tory rating and reputation. That is, Boris as was would not be doing well now.

That doesn't mean Sunak is doing well, he clearly isn't, but Boris made his party mutiny (that his polling could have been far worse actually makes the point it was all his own damn fault, rather than merely people thinking they were in danger of losing their seats) and his supporters have been in a strop ever since, quite happy to see the Tories lose as a result.

But fundamentally we know very well that Boris would not have been doing better now than Sunak, since if that would have been the case then Boris would have stood for the leadership - and would have won it. He chose not to for a good reason.
    To be pedantic I don't think the Boris problem was one of incompetence.

But rather one of idiocy and in particular idiocy of an insecure and self-indulgent variety.

For example the Downing Street parties were idiocy not incompetence.
    In fact, excellent example of extremely competent idiocy.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

And as for the number 1?

Yeah, can't be bothered to look, but it don't mean a thing if it ain't got Toy Story and TS2, alien and aliens and at least 3 monty python films.
    Life of Brian should, quite seriously, be in the top 20

As we have often discussed, a brilliantly prescient film as well as being bitingly funny and poignant

• Options
    Net slowly tightening around Trump.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3758808-appeals-court-halts-trump-special-master-appointment-in-mar-a-lago-case/
    An appeals court on Thursday ruled that the appointment of a special master after the search of former President Trump’s Florida home was improper, determining that a lower court could not limit the Justice Department investigation into the mishandling of White House records at Mar-a-Lago.
    “The law is clear. We cannot write a rule that allows any subject of a search warrant to block government investigations after the execution of the warrant. Nor can we write a rule that allows only former presidents to do so,” a three-judge panel wrote for the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
    “Either approach would be a reordering of our case law limiting the federal courts’ involvement in criminal investigations.”..
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Good to see Portrait of a Lady on Fire burst on the list - it’s immersive and memorable, but I concede is firstly a movie about art itself, not the characters in the film or the plot, so appreciate when people I recommended it to, like Snookie, just didn’t get it so found it boring.

@Roger What did you make of Portrait of a Lady on Fire being an auteur yourself?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

So get watching !
    I quite like that it’s not all the usual suspects.
This discussion has been closed.