Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Sunak really win back CON to LAB switchers and retain power? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    Ooh, attendance up to six people by half time!

A great first half from England, dominant against a side unlucky to lose their ‘keeper early on.

No protests so far.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

MattW said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Time will tell, if he sticks to boring, competent governing then I think he will win enough back to prevent a 1997 style loss, it will be more like 2005. If the stars align he could pull off a 2010 victory.

You think he's governing, um, competently?
    You can get a 5Y mortgage at under 5% and a 2Y mortgage at 5.1%, those rates were 5.79% and 6.39% under Liz Truss so yes, I think he is.
    Our remortgage (and loan to finance an extension) finally completed on friday. Ten year fix at 2.87%. Already below the old rate we were paying on our variable rate previous mortgage.
    I think that 2 year discounted variables may be the best option for many for the next period.
    I am back up for renewal in September.
    Thank God the rates have come down a notch. Hopefully they will fall further.

On the other side of the ledger, I am hearing that rents are going up sharply due to falling supply. Is that your experience?
    September 2023, presumably? My thoughts.

Asking rents have headed up quite substantially, here following locally 20% price increases in values over 2 years. Locally if I compare a 2 bed terrace I purchased in 2016-17 for 80k, when the asking rent for a long-term say 5+ year tenant (rather than a maximise rent and the tenant will leave fairly quickly tenant) was £450-475 per month. Floor price locally for such terraces is now ~100-110k.

An asking rent on that would now be £600-650 per month, and slightly less for a long-term and keep tenant. Those numbers are both up by about £100 in the last year.

I'm seeing in the press that alleged asking rates (eg Homelet survey) are jumping, with the usual extreme examples quoted, and the usual pretence that this is *all* rents, as opposed to asking rents for the ~1-2% of properties on the market. The Govt index of all rents for summer this year was more like +4%.

So yes - rents are increasing, but I suspect there is a London/SE effect as per usual.

My policy for years has been close to market for a new T, then follow CPI inflation as far as possible. During COVID I basically froze rents in cash terms as couples particularly found relationships under strain. This year (ie April 1 2023) I am looking at CPI increases, but I notice this morning that Govt have index linked Universal Credit and Pensions, but have frozen LHA in cash terms - a 10% effective cut.

On mortgage payments, my gearing is very low at under 20%, but for LLs with interest only mortgages payments may well have nearly doubled already, as they tend to work on Base + 3.5% ish, and base is now 3% headed for 4.5% in 2023.

On the basis of that last para, there will be a stretch in London, especially amongst high geared LLs. Plus if prices drift down banks may make 'margin calls' on the property values to shrink their books, and wrap up big portfolios. They did something similar before. Lower number of rentals may be possible, though the fastest shrinking place I know is Scotland where the PRS is 15% fewer properties over 6-8 years.

Potentially good times for cash buyers.

I am also hearing about the HMRC going after mid-size/bigger LLs who are dodging taxes. Heard one account of an LL with a ~100 property portfolio in the Midlands who was hit for nearly a million ukp. HMRC did some modestly creative linking of databases to get that one. "They weren't rented". "You own them, why was someone else paying Council Tax?". That case was of a 70s/80s immigrant who had built up a portfolio for usual "invest in property" security reasons in those circs, but I see no reason why it should be limited to that community where tax dodging exists.

In your circs, I'd keep an eye on it to see what offers arise; there are some decent ones around now. One point to note is that if you can get below 60% LTV, it should save a further 0.5%. Perhaps you will be made to switch from 'renting permission' to a BTL mortgage?
    Thanks. I am an accidental landlord.

My issue with selling property in the UK is the tariff (ie stamp duty) on re-entering the market.

Both my family home and the flat are below 60% LTV at least. But I am going to have to do some homework.

The flat looked like it was coming vacant, but I’ve found a new tenant who volunteered to pay in six month instalments.

Unheard of, but it seemed to tally with a “News Agent” podcast on rapid rental price increases. A year ago, it seemed much harder to find tenants.
    Accidental? Fell over and picked up a tenant? Or did the deliberate commercially based calculations including tax and making a conscious decision to become an (accidental) landlord.......
    Moved overseas and didn’t want to dispose of the assets for tax reasons, just as you say.

I’ve complained on here before stamp duty, the capital locked in those properties would be better off re-allocated elsewhere.

I also regularly argue for property tax even though on paper I would lose out significantly.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,684

Leon said:

Iran are quite poor, it must be said

But a cracking boost to England confidence

To be fair, we’d normally scrape these games or lose it 1-0
    Yes, and I totally expected that again. I thought there was a real chance of a draw and if we won it would be a deeply nervy 1-0

These kids have no nerves
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Asian football is really poor.
    Gone backwards recently, too. The same teams always qualify far too easily
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,355
    Driver said:

Cookie said:

What channel is this on by the way? I'm assuming BBC on the grounds that England are winning. But it would be nice to see the curse of ITV lifted.

It is BBC...
    There you go then. The test comes when we are up against the cursed ITV. (I quite like ITV, actually, but the stats on the curse seem to just get further and further away from 'could happen by accident'. Even when England win on ITV, it is scratchy and unconvincing against poor opponents.)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes, and I wonder why? Poor domestic leagues, perhaps, and all the best players migrating to Europe
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,290
    Great stat, which makes me feel old.

Jude Bellingham is the first-ever player born in or after 2000 to find the net at the World Cup.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Leon said:

Iran are quite poor, it must be said

But a cracking boost to England confidence

To be fair, we’d normally scrape these games or lose it 1-0
    The number of games we've seen England playing against teams that put 11 behind the ball and just working the ball from wing back to wing back via the centre backs, trying to find a way through and really struggling to do it...

This game started much the same, but Shaw's cross and Bellingham's header put paid to that.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,063
    TOPPING said:

Three goals three black players. Not that it should matter an' all.

Jude Bellingham is mixed race. This isn't the US with their one drop nonsense.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Not woke enough.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,186
    WillG said:

TOPPING said:

If it's good enough for the BNP it's good enough for me.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,088
    edited November 2022
    After reading reports of feverish arguments on social media about Joe Lycett's apparent shredding of £10k in protest against David Beckham's selling his soul to Qatar, it's funny to read that he didn't in fact shred a penny, and instead donated the money to charity:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63703831

No doubt some people will still work out a way to condemn him, though, and almost certainly the magic word "woke" will be used ...
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Time will tell, if he sticks to boring, competent governing then I think he will win enough back to prevent a 1997 style loss, it will be more like 2005. If the stars align he could pull off a 2010 victory.

You can get a 5Y mortgage at under 5% and a 2Y mortgage at 5.1%, those rates were 5.79% and 6.39% under Liz Truss so yes, I think he is.
    Our remortgage (and loan to finance an extension) finally completed on friday. Ten year fix at 2.87%. Already below the old rate we were paying on our variable rate previous mortgage.
    I think that 2 year discounted variables may be the best option for many for the next period.

On the other side of the ledger, I am hearing that rents are going up sharply due to falling supply. Is that your experience?

Asking rents have headed up quite substantially, here following locally 20% price increases in values over 2 years. Locally if I compare a 2 bed terrace I purchased in 2016-17 for 80k, when the asking rent for a long-term say 5+ year tenant (rather than a maximise rent and the tenant will leave fairly quickly tenant) was £450-475 per month. Floor price locally for such terraces is now ~100-110k.

An asking rent on that would now be £600-650 per month, and slightly less for a long-term and keep tenant. Those numbers are both up by about £100 in the last year.

I'm seeing in the press that alleged asking rates (eg Homelet survey) are jumping, with the usual extreme examples quoted, and the usual pretence that this is *all* rents, as opposed to asking rents for the ~1-2% of properties on the market. The Govt index of all rents for summer this year was more like +4%.

So yes - rents are increasing, but I suspect there is a London/SE effect as per usual.

My policy for years has been close to market for a new T, then follow CPI inflation as far as possible. During COVID I basically froze rents in cash terms as couples particularly found relationships under strain. This year (ie April 1 2023) I am looking at CPI increases, but I notice this morning that Govt have index linked Universal Credit and Pensions, but have frozen LHA in cash terms - a 10% effective cut.

On mortgage payments, my gearing is very low at under 20%, but for LLs with interest only mortgages payments may well have nearly doubled already, as they tend to work on Base + 3.5% ish, and base is now 3% headed for 4.5% in 2023.

On the basis of that last para, there will be a stretch in London, especially amongst high geared LLs. Plus if prices drift down banks may make 'margin calls' on the property values to shrink their books, and wrap up big portfolios. They did something similar before. Lower number of rentals may be possible, though the fastest shrinking place I know is Scotland where the PRS is 15% fewer properties over 6-8 years.

I am also hearing about the HMRC going after mid-size/bigger LLs who are dodging taxes. Heard one account of an LL with a ~100 property portfolio in the Midlands who was hit for nearly a million ukp. HMRC did some modestly creative linking of databases to get that one. "They weren't rented". "You own them, why was someone else paying Council Tax?". That case was of a 70s/80s immigrant who had built up a portfolio for usual "invest in property" security reasons in those circs, but I see no reason why it should be limited to that community where tax dodging exists.

In your circs, I'd keep an eye on it to see what offers arise; there are some decent ones around now. One point to note is that if you can get below 60% LTV, it should save a further 0.5%. Perhaps you will be made to switch from 'renting permission' to a BTL mortgage?

My issue with selling property in the UK is the tariff (ie stamp duty) on re-entering the market.

Both my family home and the flat are below 60% LTV at least. But I am going to have to do some homework.

The flat looked like it was coming vacant, but I’ve found a new tenant who volunteered to pay in six month instalments.

Unheard of, but it seemed to tally with a “News Agent” podcast on rapid rental price increases. A year ago, it seemed much harder to find tenants.
    Accidental? Fell over and picked up a tenant? Or did the deliberate commercially based calculations including tax and making a conscious decision to become an (accidental) landlord.......
    Moved overseas and didn’t want to dispose of the assets for tax reasons, just as you say.

I’ve complained on here before stamp duty, the capital locked in those properties would be better off re-allocated elsewhere.

I also regularly argue for property tax even though on paper I would lose out significantly.
    But there is nothing accidental about any of it. You made rational decisions that financially you expected to be better off being a landlord than selling. Fine, but own the full responsibility of being a proper landlord rather than an accidental one, as well as the building.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, and I wonder why? Poor domestic leagues, perhaps, and all the best players migrating to Europe
    Hasn't stopped Brazil and Argentina.
  • Options
    Chris said:

After reading reports of feverish arguments on social media about Joe Lycett's apparent shredding of £10k in protest against David Beckham's selling his soul to Qatar, it's funny to read that he didn't in fact shred a penny, and instead donated the money to charity:

No doubt some people will still work out a way to condemn him, though, and almost certainly the magic word "woke" will be used ...

Hard to condemn that (depending on the charity, of course!) But as a threat "do what I say or I will donate £10k to charity" lacks a certain something.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    Nigelb said:

Great stat, which makes me feel old.

Jude Bellingham is the first-ever player born in or after 2000 to find the net at the World Cup.

But who was the first PBer to find the net with someone born in or after 2000?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bellingham probably just put another £10m on his price back to the EPL. Another blow to our balance of payments!

Good news for Birmingham City, though, with the sell-on-fee. We could do with the money given what's been going on with the club these past few years (or more likely past fifteen, to be honest).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

WillG said:

TOPPING said:

I don't generally take any of my views from the BNP.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But there is nothing accidental about any of it. You made rational decisions that financially you expected to be better off being a landlord than selling. Fine, but own the full responsibility of being a proper landlord rather than an accidental one, as well as the building.
    Get over yourself.

I don’t deny being a landlord and I don’t think or suggest than being a landlord is in any way an issue. It’s just that my route to being one (and thereby the scale) is more contingent than some of the anecdotes @MattW was sharing.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

BREAKING

“Marcus Mumford 'bitten' by dog in Exeter while riding his skateboard”

https://twitter.com/devonlivenews/status/1594666491357454336?s=46&t=K-rE85rPCqYH-KtiQcjJEA

Who is Marcus Mumford?
    He is married to Carey Mulligan. The lucky bastard.

They have a boat here in Dartmouth and are seen pottering around the town.
    She was brilliant in Dr Who as Sally Sparrow.
    Best non-companion companion ever.
    Um, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart would like a word.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102
    Cookie said:

Entirely off topic, but a 1427 coin from England has been discovered by a metal detectorist in Newfoundland, raising questions about pre-Columbian contact:
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/a-centuries-old-coin-could-change-what-we-know-about-european-contact-with-north-america/ar-AA14kJrs?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25513237e62344d88cfd6218a64c333b

Of course, it's entirely possible that post-Columbian emigrants took a very old coin with them.

Surely old news? Viking settlement is long established. There is a great book - "A voyage long and strange" on this subject.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,047

Taz said:

Leon said:

BREAKING

https://twitter.com/devonlivenews/status/1594666491357454336?s=46&t=K-rE85rPCqYH-KtiQcjJEA

Who is Marcus Mumford?

The Brig definitely counts as a companion in the show, as does Benton and Yates.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102

Taz said:

Leon said:

BREAKING

Who is Marcus Mumford?

Nope - he counts as a companion - multiple stories and has been in the Tardis.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    This is possibly the most encouraging video I have seen out of Russia lately. A panellist on Russian TV berates Solovyov for even suggesting that peaceful cities should be attacked.

Meanwhile in Russia: a rare moment of sanity on Russian state TV, when one panelist was finally fed up with Vladimir Solovyov's threats to wipe Kyiv or Kharkiv off the face of the earth.
    https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1594529208650317824
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,520
    Sean_F said:

pillsbury said:

AlistairM said:

Sandpit said:

Because of course they do. Cowards.
    Really all the modern countries should have just boycotted the tournament.

I wonder what would have happened if the ref (Brazilian) refused to book players for wearing the armband?
    Trouble is, if we should boycott Qatar, should we not also refuse to play Iran for killing girls and gay people? Meanwhile, Formula 1 and (some) golfers are happy to sportswash those cuddly Saudis who, in shock news that will surprise no-one, have resumed executions at record pace.

Saudi Arabia has executed 12 people in 10 days for drug offences after a two-year hiatus, according to a human rights organisation.

The spate of executions - most of which are beheadings with a sword - is part of a wider trend that suggests the country is on track for a record year of executions despite Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman previously vowing to reduce the use of such punishments.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/11/20/saudi-arabia-beheads-people-sword-new-wave-executions/ (£££)
    That tangentially shows how Rwanda for channel crossers is doomed to failure. If people carry on taking drugs under threat of decapitation, they will continue crossing the channel under the much remoter threat of deporation. Deterrence don't deter.
    OTOH, South East Asian governments have been pretty successful with their zero-tolerance policy on drug trafficking.

Another issue on which Westerners should be very careful about lecturing foreigners. These people have very bad memories of Europeans claiming exemption from local laws.
    Define successful. There’s still plenty of drugs in SE Asia and plenty of new criminals being charged, so not much sign of a deterrence effect.
  • Options
    WillG said:

TOPPING said:

WillG said:

TOPPING said:

I don't generally take any of my views from the BNP.
    You are therefore living in a very cosy world; I know what the Guardian probably thinks about it all but they don't pose a problem for race relations in the UK.
  • Options
    Fox Sports still reporting the England formation as 4-2-3-1 after 45 minutes of a 4-3-3.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Entirely off topic, but a 1427 coin from England has been discovered by a metal detectorist in Newfoundland, raising questions about pre-Columbian contact:
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/a-centuries-old-coin-could-change-what-we-know-about-european-contact-with-north-america/ar-AA14kJrs?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25513237e62344d88cfd6218a64c333b

Of course, it's entirely possible that post-Columbian emigrants took a very old coin with them.

Surely old news? Viking settlement is long established. There is a great book - "A voyage long and strange" on this subject.
    But it can't be Vikings with a 1427 coin!
    The implication in the article is that there was contact and trade with the eastern seaboard of America - especially Northumberland - half a century and more before Columbus. I don't think it's inconceivable - if you had discovered a new land whose seas teemed with fish, you wouldn't necessarily tell all and sundry about it.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Hasn't stopped Brazil and Argentina.
    The NYT has a remarkable article about the way top European leagues exploit foreign talent outside Europe. It's a veritable industry

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/sports/world-cup/europe-world-cup-winners-losers.html
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

BREAKING

Who is Marcus Mumford?

What about Katarina and Sara Kingdom?
  • Options
    iran losing sympathy with bitching little fouls
  • Options
    WillG said:

Fox Sports still reporting the England formation as 4-2-3-1 after 45 minutes of a 4-3-3.

So did the BBC. Presumably the graphics are provided by the host broadcaster with limited freedom to adapt on the scorebox.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Three thousand years ago predates Rome, even as a kingdom.

Ancient Egypt.

A Kingdom/dynasty that was more than 3,000 years old at the time.
    Yes, but I doubt Fifa meant to lambast them for past failings.
    It wouldn't be an entirely uncharacteristic sudden change of focus from Fifa.
    "You cannot blame Qatar for using slave labour to build the stadia; that was how the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids and you all go and visit those."
    Of course, the pyramids weren’t built by slave labour. They were built by paid workers or workers paying their equivalent of tax through labour.
  • Options
    Driver said:

WillG said:

So did the BBC. Presumably the graphics are provided by the host broadcaster with limited freedom to adapt on the scorebox.
    So do sofascore, who have control. I suspect it is the formation England put out, even though we are not playing a double pivot.

• Options
    Cookie said:

Chris said:

Hard to condemn that (depending on the charity, of course!) But as a threat "do what I say or I will donate £10k to charity" lacks a certain something.
    He got publicity for the point he was making very effectively.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

Cookie said:

The surprise for me was reading how the Norse apparently preceded the Inuit in Greenland (though other peoples had resided there previously and may been around on some different parts)
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

The best Europeans now go to academies from age 8 or so. The Asians concentrate on education. So they are going backwards at football. And forwards economically.That's my
    only explanation.
    Japan, Korea, Australia and Iran have had WC's where they were competitive. Not any more it seems. Qatar as Asian champions says it all really.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,088
    Cookie said:

Chris said:

It was a woke charity.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

BREAKING

Who is Marcus Mumford?

Officially so, as per Wikipedia.
    ...As one of the most popular recurring supporting characters in the television series, the Brigadier is often listed among the Doctor's companions.[4] He is listed as such by the BBC[5] and is included in a book by John Nathan-Turner's (a former producer of Doctor Who) discussing all the Doctor's companions...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    Iran ranked twentieth in the world? Shirley not?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

The implication in the article is that there was contact and trade with the eastern seaboard of America - especially Northumberland - half a century and more before Columbus. I don't think it's inconceivable - if you had discovered a new land whose seas teemed with fish, you wouldn't necessarily tell all and sundry about it.
    I've just been reading about this

Viking settlement in America is now accepted

L'Anse aux Meadows is the only undisputed site of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact of Europeans with the Americas outside of Greenland.[4] I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Anse_aux_Meadows

There are many speculations that traders from the British Isles might also have gone there before Columbus, because the knowledge of the American coast would have been handed down from Norse settlers in the UK
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Sean_F said:

pillsbury said:

AlistairM said:

Sandpit said:

Because of course they do. Cowards.
    Really all the modern countries should have just boycotted the tournament.

I wonder what would have happened if the ref (Brazilian) refused to book players for wearing the armband?
    Trouble is, if we should boycott Qatar, should we not also refuse to play Iran for killing girls and gay people? Meanwhile, Formula 1 and (some) golfers are happy to sportswash those cuddly Saudis who, in shock news that will surprise no-one, have resumed executions at record pace.

Saudi Arabia has executed 12 people in 10 days for drug offences after a two-year hiatus, according to a human rights organisation.

The spate of executions - most of which are beheadings with a sword - is part of a wider trend that suggests the country is on track for a record year of executions despite Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman previously vowing to reduce the use of such punishments.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/11/20/saudi-arabia-beheads-people-sword-new-wave-executions/ (£££)
    That tangentially shows how Rwanda for channel crossers is doomed to failure. If people carry on taking drugs under threat of decapitation, they will continue crossing the channel under the much remoter threat of deporation. Deterrence don't deter.
    OTOH, South East Asian governments have been pretty successful with their zero-tolerance policy on drug trafficking.

Another issue on which Westerners should be very careful about lecturing foreigners. These people have very bad memories of Europeans claiming exemption from local laws.
    Define successful. There’s still plenty of drugs in SE Asia and plenty of new criminals being charged, so not much sign of a deterrence effect.
    I made the mistake of going to live in Taiwan cos I thought it might stop my drug use.
    Cheaper and much better quality was a compensation for the flaw in my thinking.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2022
    Cookie said:

Or it's a Pilgrim Badge made to look like a Henry VI coin which were produced for a couple of hundred years after his death. Or indeed it could be a genuine coin used as a pilgrim token in a kind of deluxe version.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

iran losing sympathy with bitching little fouls

It was noble of you to start cheerleading for the Islamic Republic in the first place, just to get your Curse on our side.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I've just been reading about this

Viking settlement in America is now accepted

L'Anse aux Meadows is the only undisputed site of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact of Europeans with the Americas outside of Greenland.[4] I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Anse_aux_Meadows

There are many speculations that traders from the British Isles might also have gone there before Columbus, because the knowledge of the American coast would have been handed down from Norse settlers in the UK
    The question regarding the Vikings is how far did they get? Did they reach the Yucatan, for example.
  • Options
    Goal!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

DavidL said:

So what would make a 1992 possible?

Nothing because this is nothing like 1992.

Stop making a false comparison please. It's misleading.

The truth is that this is psepholoically like 1997 but economically FAR WORSE.

Conservatives on here need to prepare for the Dark Night of the Soul.
    Unlike 1997 though there will be no golden economic legacy for Starmer and Reeves so the economy will then be their problem
    1997 was not exactly a golden economic legacy even though things had improved since the collapse of the Major Government's economic strategy at the the time of the Autumn 1992 ERM fiasco. Labour still inherited Budget and Balance of Payments deficits. Ted Heath enjoyed a better legacy from Labour in 1970.
    Terrible balance of payments figures (a £31 million trade deficit) and rising inflation, a selective employment tax, unemployment at its highest level since 1940 and union indiscipline?
  • Options
    Saka 👍
  • Options
    ANOTHER great goal

England looking a bit like France in 2018? Or Spain in 2008?

OK, have to calm down
  • Options
    Leon said:

ANOTHER great goal

OK, have to calm down

Just enjoy the three points. Long way to go in the tournament!
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Apparently Iran are ranked 20th.. hmm
  • Options

The FIFA rankings are, if I may use a technical term, total bullshit.
  • Options
    Goal!
  • Options
    FUCK
  • Options
    Leon said:

ANOTHER great goal

OK, have to calm down

The curse strikes again!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    The last England goal came about from a terrible goal kick from Iran.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

ANOTHER great goal

OK, have to calm down

The curse strikes again!
    lol

OK.

IRAN ARE GOING TO WIN NOW
  • Options
    Maguire mistake...
  • Options
    Leon said:

FUCK

Get back to cheering for Iran, you Jonah!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

DavidL said:

Unlike 1997 though there will be no golden economic legacy for Starmer and Reeves so the economy will then be their problem
    1997 was not exactly a golden economic legacy even though things had improved since the collapse of the Major Government's economic strategy at the the time of the Autumn 1992 ERM fiasco. Labour still inherited Budget and Balance of Payments deficits. Ted Heath enjoyed a better legacy from Labour in 1970.
    Terrible balance of payments figures (a £31 million trade deficit) and rising inflation, a selective employment tax, unemployment at its highest level since 1940 and union indiscipline?
    A £31m trade deficit would be a fantastic achievement.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

DavidL said:

A £31m trade deficit would be a fantastic achievement.
    Allowing for invisibles, would have been a large surplus.
  • Options
    OK I am actually nervous now
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    IanB2 said:

Iran ranked twentieth in the world? Shirley not?

They finished above South Korea in their qualification group. Saudi Arabia finished above Japan. Australia (In the Asia group) got around half the points of Saudi and Japan.

Iran is the top ranked team in Asia - it's incredibly astonishingly weak considering about 4.5 billion people live across the continent.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Are you ever not ?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898
    Farcical substitution handling by the ref
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Why's Phil Foden got a Z shaved into the side of his head?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

DavidL said:

Union indiscipline? Strange term. I would have said that unions are being very disciplined in looking out for the interests of their members.
  • Options
    Goal !!!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Are you ever not ?
    Fair

Probably not. I am quite excitable

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    MY CURSE WORKED
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,195
    edited November 2022
    Black players 5 - 0 White players

:innocent:
  • Options

Black players 4 - 0 White players

With six goals total you’ve gone wrong somewhere!
  • Options

There are 20 better teams in Europe, let alone with world...
  • Options
    Leon said:

MY CURSE WORKED

If for once in your life you can actually stick with something, we could win this tournament.
  • Options
    The problem with Southgate's England is that they are great in attack but need to tighten up at the back...
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Are you ever not ?
    Fair

Probably not. I am quite excitable

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    All credit to your juju, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited November 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

DavidL said:

Union indiscipline? Strange term. I would have said that unions are being very disciplined in looking out for the interests of their members.
    And nearly destroyed British industry and the economy in the 1970s. Inflation was also higher in 1970 than 1997
  • Options
    Ayatol-lerate this!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Black players 5 - 0 White players

With six goals total you’ve gone wrong somewhere!
    I was just counting Three Lions goals :)
  • Options
    Landmark Grimsby seafood factory closing after losses of £8 million - The company chief executive said: “We believe in the future and that we are well-positioned in our key markets with well-run value-added operations in Europe”...
    https://twitter.com/grahambsi/status/1594448848768073730
  • Options

You can only beat what's in front of you. In this case we are thrashing them

I am old enough to remember several decades of England starting tournaments nervously and cautiously, and sometimes calamitously
  • Options
    Leon said:

I am old enough to remember several decades of England starting tournaments nervously and cautiously, and sometimes calamitously
    I was just making a point that the fifa rankings are nonsense.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Spot on. As I have said before, Francis is absolutely unwilling to give England credit when it is due.

• Options
    Interesting thread from philosopher who was inspiration behind crypto exchange FTX, on what might have gone so spectacularly wrong to lose so many people their savings. A few months before the collapse of FTX MacAskill endorsed Scottish independence.

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1594689811566190594
  • Options
    Second Amendment rights.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1594467765351776256
    The 22-year-old Colorado Springs mass shooter whose record was mysteriously sealed after making a bomb threat last year is the grandson of GOP California State Assemblyman @RandyVoepel from San Diego, who voiced support for the Jan 6 Capitol attack...

...The mass shooter was arrested in 2021 following a standoff with police after kidnapping and threatening to kill his mother with a bomb.

He was charged with six felonies but the case was inexplicably dropped. He went on to obtain an AR-15 and committed mass murder last night.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

I remember them claiming for years England were in the top 5. Not a chance. (I suppose it might technically make sense now, after the last tournaments)
  • Options

Leon said:

If Iran were ranked 120th, you’d have been mentioning it every two minutes

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Spot on. As I have said before, Francis is absolutely unwilling to give England credit when it is due.

England done very well today. Bellingham showing class (as I have said for ages he should have been playing all the time). Saka excellent as well. Defence is still dodgy though.

Point was that due to the way FIFA ranking system works, you get nonsense like Iran being 20th in the world. The Athletic had a good piece the other day about why the group of death doesn't really exist now because of FIFA reeingeering the tournament meaning the best teams aren't actually all there e.g. Italy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

DavidL said:

The Balance of Payments was in strong surplus at that time - notwithstanding a single month's deficit due to Jumbo Jets - far stronger than 1997.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Leon said:

England done very well today. Point was that due to the way FIFA ranking system works, you get nonsense like Iran being 20th in the world. The Athletic had a good piece the other day about why the group of death doesn't really exist now because of FIFA reeingeering the tournament meaning the best teams aren't actually all there e.g. Italy.
    I think the balance is about right. Perhaps European teams have pulled away in the last decade, but I think about a dozen teams from Europe is enough. Italy lost to Macedonia, so they're nothing special.
  • Options

Do you have a link to any articles on the sabermetrics approach to footie in the UK?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Landmark Grimsby seafood factory closing after losses of £8 million - The company chief executive said: “We believe in the future and that we are well-positioned in our key markets with well-run value-added operations in Europe”...
    https://twitter.com/grahambsi/status/1594448848768073730

Grimsby was a Leave vote stronghold in the EU Referendum of 2016.

The vote was counted by local authority area so Grimsby falls under North East Lincolnshire which voted 69.9% (55,185) to Leave the EU and 30.1% (23,797) to Remain.

North East Lincolnshire was the tenth highest Leave vote in the country

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/how-grimsby-voted-eu-referendum-3500720
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Do you have a link to any articles on the sabermetrics approach to footie in the UK?
    Plenty...but i doubt you are interested.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Plenty...but i doubt you are interested.
    Yes good spot that's why I asked. But no problem google can be my friend.
  • Options
    This result makes the Wales game later even more important.
    It's basically a knockout already.
  • Options

Leon said:

England done very well today. Bellingham showing class (as I have said for ages he should have been playing all the time). Saka excellent as well. Defence is still dodgy though.

Point was that due to the way FIFA ranking system works, you get nonsense like Iran being 20th in the world. The Athletic had a good piece the other day about why the group of death doesn't really exist now because of FIFA reeingeering the tournament meaning the best teams aren't actually all there e.g. Italy.
    Mm, perhaps - though Fifa can hardly be held responsible for Italy failing to squeak past North Macedonia.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This result makes the Wales game later even more important.
    It's basically a knockout already.

Go Wales!

As if Americans can play football without their body armour.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Leon said:

ANOTHER great goal

OK, have to calm down

It's Iran. That ranking of 20th just shows how shit the rankings are not that we're smashing some incredible team.
  • Options
    England 70% possession!
This discussion has been closed.