Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Sunak really win back CON to LAB switchers and retain power? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,176
    No no no no no. Take him off
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    kamski said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

Sandpit said:

Because of course they do. Cowards.
    Really all the modern countries should have just boycotted the tournament.

I wonder what would have happened if the ref (Brazilian) refused to book players for wearing the armband?
    Even better, left Fifa and set up their own equivalent.

I do however have some sympathy for Fifa on the particular issue of armbands. If my position is to keep politics out, I don't change my position just because I happen to agree with the issuein question (i.e. not persecuting gay people). And that position isn't dependent on Harry Kane wearing an armband or not.
    Perhaps, except that Fifa rolling over on issues agreed before the tournament and they would normally be firm about (beer) and engaging in utterly absurd whataboutery about 3000 years of Western guilt to distract from criticism, does give the impression they are completely desperate to suck up to the Qataris, and they could have addressed all these things long before the tournament started.
    I'm still trying to work out what the 3000 years meant.
    Is he a revisionist historian ?
    Taking it from around the time of the Roman Kingdom?

Given the proximity and where the core of advanced civilization was, I tend to agree with the thesis that the core of The West in historic terms includes the middle east anyway, as a series of interrelated civilizations.
    I assume history not his strong point, and he meant 300 years.

I find it hard to have any sympathy at all with FIFA. Their position isn't really "keep the politics out of sport", it seems to be "we'll support the politics of whoever pays us the most". Awarding the hosting of the World Cup to Qatar was in itself one of the most extreme political decisions in sport.

And hasn't this armband already been worn by players in international matches without any issues? Banning it hours before a match is a very deliberate "fuck you" to inclusion in football.

Screw FIFA, if European countries had any self-respect they would just leave the organisation.
    FIFA are crap and bent but wearing a pathetic little armband is even worse.
  • Options
    FFS take him off. Should never have allowed him to continue
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,294
    This is farcical. He should have been off 10 minutes ago.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He is in obvious pain and can barely walk. Must be concussed. Horrible to watch
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    Now watch his replacement have the match of the tournament!
  • Options
    kamski said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

Sandpit said:

I wonder what would have happened if the ref (Brazilian) refused to book players for wearing the armband?

I do however have some sympathy for Fifa on the particular issue of armbands. If my position is to keep politics out, I don't change my position just because I happen to agree with the issuein question (i.e. not persecuting gay people). And that position isn't dependent on Harry Kane wearing an armband or not.
    Perhaps, except that Fifa rolling over on issues agreed before the tournament and they would normally be firm about (beer) and engaging in utterly absurd whataboutery about 3000 years of Western guilt to distract from criticism, does give the impression they are completely desperate to suck up to the Qataris, and they could have addressed all these things long before the tournament started.
    The, already looking poor, tournament is turning into a shit show isn't it?
    In Russia in quieted down once things got going. Perhaps there'll be a bit more complaint this time, and there really should be - it's not like Fifa or Qatar have not already won, the tournament is here and happening, so they may as well get stick for it throughout, as it seems to really irritate them.
    Yes, Russia 2018 was dominated in the run up by stories about football thugs, oppressive governments and the aftermath of the Salisbury poisonings, but was great fun when it started. My boys and I had a great time sightseeing between games. Both St Petersberg and Moscow were lovely cities, and the atmosphere between the fans very positive.

Should Qatar have got the WC? Of course not. Now that it is there we should enjoy the spectacle. Plenty of the pearl clutches about human rights are happy enough for people to travel to holiday or do business in equally bad Gulf States, or the many other countries that ban homosexuality etc, or even sell then weapons etc.
    Surely there must be a few people who are critical of this World Cup who are also against selling weapons to dictatorships? Of course I understand you don't want to feel judged for your support of Putin's world cup in 2018, but your comment is kind of ridiculous.
    The woke whiners should hav ehad teh principles they profess and refused to play in Qatar, they are just fakers pretending they care to ensure they keep getting paid ridiculous amounts of money for kicking a ball about.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Yes. And more importantly I have a consultation at 2. I won’t see all of the first half now.
  • Options
    This game is already 17 times more entertaining than Qatar Ecuador, from the political and medical drama
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    malcolmg said:

kamski said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

Sandpit said:

I'm still trying to work out what the 3000 years meant.
    Is he a revisionist historian ?
    Taking it from around the time of the Roman Kingdom?

Given the proximity and where the core of advanced civilization was, I tend to agree with the thesis that the core of The West in historic terms includes the middle east anyway, as a series of interrelated civilizations.
    I assume history not his strong point, and he meant 300 years.

I find it hard to have any sympathy at all with FIFA. Their position isn't really "keep the politics out of sport", it seems to be "we'll support the politics of whoever pays us the most". Awarding the hosting of the World Cup to Qatar was in itself one of the most extreme political decisions in sport.

And hasn't this armband already been worn by players in international matches without any issues? Banning it hours before a match is a very deliberate "fuck you" to inclusion in football.

Screw FIFA, if European countries had any self-respect they would just leave the organisation.
    FIFA are crap and bent but wearing a pathetic little armband is even worse.
    I'm not sure wearing a pathetic little armband is 'even worse' than what Fifa do. I'm in the 'keep politics out' camp, but even more in the 'Fifa are an utter bunch of scumbags who cosy up to the most despicable regimes' camp. I would prefer Harry Kane not to be armbanding or kneeling, but in the hierarchy of regrettable behaviour at the world cup it comes a long way down.

Anyway. England are bit part players in this drama. I'm inspired by this ray of hope for the Iranian revolution (albeit with the grudging recognition that revolutions against truly despotic regimes almost never succeed and even when they do are frequently replaced by something as bad. Still, hope lives on.)
  • Options
    Iran now spending all their time in our half to protect their goalie...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    About 7 minutes should be added ?
  • Options
    So that non-singing of the Iranian anthem was a genuine gesture

"BREAKING: Iran's team refuses to sing country's national anthem before World Cup game against England"

That is real courage. Chapeau

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1594677570120781824?s=20&t=XmlqMaOnJb9OfHy9LhsNEg
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,536
    edited November 2022

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Time will tell, if he sticks to boring, competent governing then I think he will win enough back to prevent a 1997 style loss, it will be more like 2005. If the stars align he could pull off a 2010 victory.

You think he's governing, um, competently?
    You can get a 5Y mortgage at under 5% and a 2Y mortgage at 5.1%, those rates were 5.79% and 6.39% under Liz Truss so yes, I think he is.
    Our remortgage (and loan to finance an extension) finally completed on friday. Ten year fix at 2.87%. Already below the old rate we were paying on our variable rate previous mortgage.
    I think that 2 year discounted variables may be the best option for many for the next period.
    I am back up for renewal in September.
    Thank God the rates have come down a notch. Hopefully they will fall further.

On the other side of the ledger, I am hearing that rents are going up sharply due to falling supply. Is that your experience?
    September 2023, presumably? My thoughts.

Asking rents have headed up quite substantially, here following locally 20% price increases in values over 2 years. Locally if I compare a 2 bed terrace I purchased in 2016-17 for 80k, when the asking rent for a long-term say 5+ year tenant (rather than a maximise rent and the tenant will leave fairly quickly tenant) was £450-475 per month. Floor price locally for such terraces is now ~100-110k.

An asking rent on that would now be £600-650 per month, and slightly less for a long-term and keep tenant. Those numbers are both up by about £100 in the last year.

I'm seeing in the press that alleged asking rates (eg Homelet survey) are jumping, with the usual extreme examples quoted, and the usual pretence that this is *all* rents, as opposed to asking rents for the ~1-2% of properties on the market. The Govt index of all rents for summer this year was more like +4%.

So yes - rents are increasing, but I suspect there is a London/SE effect as per usual.

My policy for years has been close to market for a new T, then follow CPI inflation as far as possible. During COVID I basically froze rents in cash terms as couples particularly found relationships under strain. This year (ie April 1 2023) I am looking at CPI increases, but I notice this morning that Govt have index linked Universal Credit and Pensions, but have frozen LHA in cash terms - a 10% effective cut.

On mortgage payments, my gearing is very low at under 20%, but for LLs with interest only mortgages payments may well have nearly doubled already, as they tend to work on Base + 3.5% ish, and base is now 3% headed for 4.5% in 2023.

On the basis of that last para, there will be a stretch in London, especially amongst high geared LLs. Plus if prices drift down banks may make 'margin calls' on the property values to shrink their books, and wrap up big portfolios. They did something similar before. Lower number of rentals may be possible, though the fastest shrinking place I know is Scotland where the PRS is 15% fewer properties over 6-8 years.

Potentially good times for cash buyers.

I am also hearing about the HMRC going after mid-size/bigger LLs who are dodging taxes. Heard one account of an LL with a ~100 property portfolio in the Midlands who was hit for nearly a million ukp. HMRC did some modestly creative linking of databases to get that one. "They weren't rented". "You own them, why was someone else paying Council Tax?". That case was of a 70s/80s immigrant who had built up a portfolio for usual "invest in property" security reasons in those circs, but I see no reason why it should be limited to that community where tax dodging exists.

In your circs, I'd keep an eye on it to see what offers arise; there are some decent ones around now. One point to note is that if you can get below 60% LTV, it should save a further 0.5%. Perhaps you will be made to switch from 'renting permission' to a BTL mortgage?
  • Options
    Leon said:

"BREAKING: Iran's team refuses to sing country's national anthem before World Cup game against England"

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1594677570120781824?s=20&t=XmlqMaOnJb9OfHy9LhsNEg

Puts our armband gestures into perspective doesn’t it?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Yes. And more importantly I have a consultation at 2. I won’t see all of the first half now.
    Luxury! Client has arranged a meeting at 1:30.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Luxury! Client has arranged a meeting at 1:30.
    Hope you have bad news for them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Puts our armband gestures into perspective doesn’t it?
    Yes. Their families in Iran could go to jail, the players must now be scared of going home

This game has way too many fouls
  • Options
    Good chance
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

This is weird. Have just got my ticket for the match - at my local cinema. Anyone ever watched football in the cinema before? Hopefully it’s not me and 300 Iranians!

I watched England's World Cup 2018 matches in pubs in Scotland. The experience of England's progress in that tournament was enhanced for me by the crushing disappointment felt by other viewers in the pub.
    There will undoubtedly be a small group of Scots dress in Iran shirts and waving Iran flags today.

I would say that they shouldn’t be cheering for a regime with no respect for women’s rights, which sets out to violently clamp down on protests, but I guess it’s now something they’re quite used to up there…
    Would imagine it would be a few real nutters doing that unless they are Iranians. You haev a warped view of people.
    Well it’s happened at every single England WC and Euros match for decades now, that groups of Scots go to the trouble of buying and wearing the kit of whoever’s playing England. I’ll be amazed if today is somehow an exception.
    you have seen more than me then , I have not seen it in Scotland , many wish to see them beaten due to the constant bragging about how they are invincible and will win it , on every cup they ever play in.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Maguire hits the woodwork!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

This is weird. Have just got my ticket for the match - at my local cinema. Anyone ever watched football in the cinema before? Hopefully it’s not me and 300 Iranians!

I watched England's World Cup 2018 matches in pubs in Scotland. The experience of England's progress in that tournament was enhanced for me by the crushing disappointment felt by other viewers in the pub.
    There will undoubtedly be a small group of Scots dress in Iran shirts and waving Iran flags today.

I would say that they shouldn’t be cheering for a regime with no respect for women’s rights, which sets out to violently clamp down on protests, but I guess it’s now something they’re quite used to up there…
    Would imagine it would be a few real nutters doing that unless they are Iranians. You haev a warped view of people.
    Well it’s happened at every single England WC and Euros match for decades now, that groups of Scots go to the trouble of buying and wearing the kit of whoever’s playing England. I’ll be amazed if today is somehow an exception.
    you have seen more than me then , I have not seen it in Scotland , many wish to see them beaten due to the constant bragging about how they are invincible and will win it , on every cup they ever play in.
    The idea that England fans think ther team is invincible is quite bizarre. I go into every tournament with deep and justified pessimism

What REALLY annoys Scotland fans is the fact that England, nonetheless, really do have a chance at winning major tournaments. Scotland will never have that
  • Options
    Bellingham scores!
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Bellingham!
  • Options
    That has been coming. Hopefully force Iran out a bit more
  • Options
    England!

Fantastic header
  • Options
    Lovely cross by Luke "out of form" Shaw.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I once had a holiday job working in the Pampers factory in Trafford Park. There was a hardcore Manchester United fan there who bought the kit of every team who beat City. This was back in the 90s, when City were terrible. It must have cost him thousands.
    Anyway, I could sympathise with anyone supporting this Iranian team, under the current circumstances, despite what I said earlier about keeping politics and sport separate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The 'Ar brave SAS lads' community not v. happy with the BBC's puerile Peaky Rogue Heroes flummery. My objections would be more on aesthetic than insufficient respect grounds, but I'd have thought they'd want to get the fanbois onside.

https://twitter.com/blair_mayne/status/1594444462758969344?s=20&t=pz58HnuuX1yG0OVVQ4Igyg

I watched the final episode last night. It is brilliant, and I was uncertain after the first episode, so it completely won me over

It is also gloriously swashbuckling, unwoke, dramatic and amusing. And vividly patriotic and patriotically British (so I can see why you detest it)

And finally - it is a smash hit. One of the most successful BBC dramas of recent years and already renewed for a second season. I bet it will be big abroad as well. It’s just damn good TV

If this was on Netflix they would now be pumping in money and expanding season 2 to ten episodes - coming soon - and prepping for a five season drama that will mint billions
    Why is it always lurid ‘detests’ with you? I’m quite happy with mildly despises.

But thanks for validating my judgment of it.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Shaw has been playing better for United recently
  • Options
    Bellingham probably just put another £10m on his price back to the EPL. Another blow to our balance of payments!
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    MattW said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Time will tell, if he sticks to boring, competent governing then I think he will win enough back to prevent a 1997 style loss, it will be more like 2005. If the stars align he could pull off a 2010 victory.

You can get a 5Y mortgage at under 5% and a 2Y mortgage at 5.1%, those rates were 5.79% and 6.39% under Liz Truss so yes, I think he is.
    Our remortgage (and loan to finance an extension) finally completed on friday. Ten year fix at 2.87%. Already below the old rate we were paying on our variable rate previous mortgage.
    I think that 2 year discounted variables may be the best option for many for the next period.

On the other side of the ledger, I am hearing that rents are going up sharply due to falling supply. Is that your experience?

Asking rents have headed up quite substantially, here following locally 20% price increases in values over 2 years. Locally if I compare a 2 bed terrace I purchased in 2016-17 for 80k, when the asking rent for a long-term say 5+ year tenant (rather than a maximise rent and the tenant will leave fairly quickly tenant) was £450-475 per month. Floor price locally for such terraces is now ~100-110k.

An asking rent on that would now be £600-650 per month, and slightly less for a long-term and keep tenant. Those numbers are both up by about £100 in the last year.

I'm seeing in the press that alleged asking rates (eg Homelet survey) are jumping, with the usual extreme examples quoted, and the usual pretence that this is *all* rents, as opposed to asking rents for the ~1-2% of properties on the market. The Govt index of all rents for summer this year was more like +4%.

So yes - rents are increasing, but I suspect there is a London/SE effect as per usual.

My policy for years has been close to market for a new T, then follow CPI inflation as far as possible. During COVID I basically froze rents in cash terms as couples particularly found relationships under strain. This year (ie April 1 2023) I am looking at CPI increases, but I notice this morning that Govt have index linked Universal Credit and Pensions, but have frozen LHA in cash terms - a 10% effective cut.

On mortgage payments, my gearing is very low at under 20%, but for LLs with interest only mortgages payments may well have nearly doubled already, as they tend to work on Base + 3.5% ish, and base is now 3% headed for 4.5% in 2023.

On the basis of that last para, there will be a stretch in London, especially amongst high geared LLs. Plus if prices drift down banks may make 'margin calls' on the property values to shrink their books, and wrap up big portfolios. They did something similar before. Lower number of rentals may be possible, though the fastest shrinking place I know is Scotland where the PRS is 15% fewer properties over 6-8 years.

I am also hearing about the HMRC going after mid-size/bigger LLs who are dodging taxes. Heard one account of an LL with a ~100 property portfolio in the Midlands who was hit for nearly a million ukp. HMRC did some modestly creative linking of databases to get that one. "They weren't rented". "You own them, why was someone else paying Council Tax?". That case was of a 70s/80s immigrant who had built up a portfolio for usual "invest in property" security reasons in those circs, but I see no reason why it should be limited to that community where tax dodging exists.

In your circs, I'd keep an eye on it to see what offers arise; there are some decent ones around now. One point to note is that if you can get below 60% LTV, it should save a further 0.5%. Perhaps you will be made to switch from 'renting permission' to a BTL mortgage?
    I was listening to a really interesting podcast about how rent increases (this was in the US) were not being driven primarily by lack of supply, but essentially because finance people started running rent rates through algorithms that started spitting out the idea that it is fine to increase rents and lose tenants as long as those still paying rents cover for the cost of the other properties whilst they remain empty (this was a big change from landlords prioritising keeping tenants so money keeps coming in), essentially making a rent seeking cycle where prices almost always go up. This then also led to rate fixing amongst competitors as big renters all use the same software that spit out the same rent increases as viable. This change happened at the same time as building new stock faltered due to the 2008 crash, and so it was easy to blame fewer new houses and miss this. I'm not sure if it is the same in the UK, but I know that we have more than enough properties in this country for everyone to live in, and that lots of stock remains empty and owned by private landlords.
  • Options
    felix said:

Leon said:

This is why Taking the Knee for game after game was such a stupid idea. Many suspected it was worthless virtue signalling by the England team. Now we KNOW it was worthless virtue signalling. Because as soon as a gesture comes with a price - when it is worth something - they stop. They look like craven cowards.

If they do the Knee today it will be excruciating. What will it say? “We’re against racism but homophobia is OK”

I ama gay man and have zero interest in my 'cause' being represented anywhere by a bunch of overpaid hypocrites, numbers of whom remain closeted, against one of numerous backward Arab states. The WC is aptly named as this one has been an ill-conceived toilet of a venture from day1. Just play your sport and then FO back to your overpriced, tasteless mansions wherever they may be!
    Fine, but you are in one of probably a minority of countries worldwide where you'd feel safe posting that openly online, even anonymously.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Leon said:

FFS take him off. Should never have allowed him to continue

At least it was a chance for you to say that about someone else…
  • Options

Driver said:

Shaw has been playing better for United recently
    One of their better players. But he’s still a better winger than defender.
  • Options

Maguire hits the woodwork!

Aka attempts a header
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bellingham probably just put another £10m on his price back to the EPL. Another blow to our balance of payments!

Not to be pedantic, but next summer he has a release clause of £43.7m* (*I assume actually in Euros)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,622
    There was a letter in the Times or Telegraph the other day from someone who served in the Second World War. They were criticising the fact that in one of these new dramas the characters were using obscenities. He said that in his entire time in the War he never heard anyone use them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

Release clause, surely? But I guess his wages might have gone up a bit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The idea that England fans think ther team is invincible is quite bizarre. I go into every tournament with deep and justified pessimism

What REALLY annoys Scotland fans is the fact that England, nonetheless, really do have a chance at winning major tournaments. Scotland will never have that
    Posted just seconds before we scored….the full force of the Curse unleashed…
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nah, never happens.

Bonus points for the year.
  • Options
    Entirely off topic, but a 1427 coin from England has been discovered by a metal detectorist in Newfoundland, raising questions about pre-Columbian contact:
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/a-centuries-old-coin-could-change-what-we-know-about-european-contact-with-north-america/ar-AA14kJrs?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=25513237e62344d88cfd6218a64c333b

Of course, it's entirely possible that post-Columbian emigrants took a very old coin with them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, the idea is frankly a bit weird. Plenty of fans who think the team should do better than they do, but not confident they will.

It's like those people who seem to think Three Lions is a triumphalist song.

• Options
    England look quite threatening
  • Options
    What a strike!
  • Options
    Goal!
  • Options
    Leon said:

England look quite threatening

So the Welsh, Scots and Irish know very well.
  • Options
    Wow
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

They qualify due to the easy draws they get from seeding but realistically they have never ever looked like winning one. They flatter to deceive and are never ever close to teh expectations attributed to them.
    The annoying thing is that when games are on the London TV stations only show England games, another of our union benefits.
  • Options
    That's a tasty goal!!
  • Options
    Southgate is BRILLIANT

England should take the knee fifteen times a day
  • Options
    It's a mismatch. Ref should stop the contest.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

There was a letter in the Times or Telegraph the other day from someone who served in the Second World War. They were criticising the fact that in one of these new dramas the characters were using obscenities. He said that in his entire time in the War he never heard anyone use them.

I suppose it's possible. But Spike Milligan's war memoirs, and also the WW2 song 'F*cking Halkirk' suggest that swearing wasn't entirely unknown.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nah, never happens.

1879?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Soldiers using foul language (whatever that might be in the day, possibly more blasphemous) is a very old trope.
  • Options
    Superb!
  • Options
    What a goal
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

They qualify due to the easy draws they get from seeding but realistically they have never ever looked like winning one. They flatter to deceive and are never ever close to teh expectations attributed to them.
    The annoying thing is that when games are on the London TV stations only show England games, another of our union benefits.
    Er, they were in the World Cup semis in 2018 and reached the final of the euros in 2020 and only lost due to penalties (in a game they should have won)

The idea they cannot win a tournament is nonsense. Their FIFA ranking is

hahahahahah third goal!!!!!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nah, never happens.

1879?
    2006?
  • Options
    3-0
  • Options
    And three! The "out of form" Raheem Sterling!
  • Options
    That's an exquisite goal
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

"Easy draws" are because of seeding which is because of winning.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    pillsbury said:

felix said:

Leon said:

This is why Taking the Knee for game after game was such a stupid idea. Many suspected it was worthless virtue signalling by the England team. Now we KNOW it was worthless virtue signalling. Because as soon as a gesture comes with a price - when it is worth something - they stop. They look like craven cowards.

If they do the Knee today it will be excruciating. What will it say? “We’re against racism but homophobia is OK”

I ama gay man and have zero interest in my 'cause' being represented anywhere by a bunch of overpaid hypocrites, numbers of whom remain closeted, against one of numerous backward Arab states. The WC is aptly named as this one has been an ill-conceived toilet of a venture from day1. Just play your sport and then FO back to your overpriced, tasteless mansions wherever they may be!
    Fine, but you are in one of probably a minority of countries worldwide where you'd feel safe posting that openly online, even anonymously.
    Not at all sure you are right there but even if you are it has sod all to do with any thing ever said or done by a football player.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Lovely goal.
  • Options
    I reckon Rishi would have a Downing Street reception for World Cup winners.....
  • Options
    14 minutes added on
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

I suppose it's possible. But Spike Milligan's war memoirs, and also the WW2 song 'F*cking Halkirk' suggest that swearing wasn't entirely unknown.
    An officer, presumably ?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    Guess what? The PB England Experts' hot takes... well.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,300
    Three goals three black players. Not that it should matter an' all.
  • Options
    Guys

the iplayer feed is about 90 seconds adrift of the TV or however you are watching this. Just so you know you are taking some of the excitement out of it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Iran are a bit shit, aren’t they? Thought they had a rock solid defense
  • Options
    14 minutes extra time
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Guys

the iplayer feed is about 90 seconds adrift of the TV or however you are watching this. Just so you know you are taking some of the excitement out of it.

Goal!

(/jk)
  • Options
    Come on Indi... er, I mean England :blush:
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited November 2022
    MattW said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks. I am an accidental landlord.

My issue with selling property in the UK is the tariff (ie stamp duty) on re-entering the market.

Both my family home and the flat are below 60% LTV at least. But I am going to have to do some homework.

The flat looked like it was coming vacant, but I’ve found a new tenant who volunteered to pay in six month instalments.

Unheard of, but it seemed to tally with a “News Agent” podcast on rapid rental price increases. A year ago, it seemed much harder to find tenants.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Guys

Apols, but I don't think PB-ers are going to stop live-commenting the first England football match at a new World Cup
  • Options

Getting a goal after about 20 minutes actual play ruins their game plan.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, the idea is frankly a bit weird. Plenty of fans who think the team should do better than they do, but not confident they will.

It's like those people who seem to think Three Lions is a triumphalist song.

Three Lions is brilliant. All about the persistence of hope despite the team being awful and repeated disappointments. The FA took some persuading, apparently, having hoped for something more optimistic.
    Not the best football song ever. But I love the tone of it: the fact that it acknowledges the fact that England aren’t brilliant and haven’t been for decades. The 2018 version, I think, even starts with a long tirade from Alan Shearer about England’s uselessness.
    I will trot out the essay I wrote on the subject four years ago, given half a chance.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,436

I reckon Rishi would have a Downing Street reception for World Cup winners.....

But would the French or Argentinians or Brazilians want to attend? :wink:
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Guys

So read comments 90 seconds after they are posted....
  • Options
    Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Guys

Apols, but I don't think PB-ers are going to stop live-commenting the first England football match at a new World Cup
    Maybe we should focus on Brexit or IndyRef2 instead 👍
  • Options

Come on Indi... er, I mean England :blush:

Bloke called Norman on the phone for you...
  • Options

Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Guys

England winning the world cup will be great for Scottish independence.
  • Options

Bring on the Welsh....
  • Options

No, the Iranians are Shi'ite.
    I chuckled out loud to that awful joke 😂
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Soldiers using foul language (whatever that might be in the day, possibly more blasphemous) is a very old trope.
    He was in one of the special forces, not the regular army. I believe him when he says he didn't hear any bad language when serving.
  • Options
    Good crowd, seem to have got round the vuvuzela ban.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nah, never happens.

1879?
    Not far off for the lighthouse - 1860 (Corran Point). Another job for the Stephenson family.

The flags were of Sweden, Paraguay and Trinidad.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks. I am an accidental landlord.

My issue with selling property in the UK is the tariff (ie stamp duty) on re-entering the market.

Both my family home and the flat are below 60% LTV at least. But I am going to have to do some homework.

The flat looked like it was coming vacant, but I’ve found a new tenant who volunteered to pay in six month instalments.

Unheard of, but it seemed to tally with a “News Agent” podcast on rapid rental price increases. A year ago, it seemed much harder to find tenants.
    Accidental? Fell over and picked up a tenant? Or did the deliberate commercially based calculations including tax and making a conscious decision to become an (accidental) landlord.......
  • Options

Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Guys

England winning the world cup will be great for Scottish independence.
    "Once in a generation" is measured by Scottish appearances at major championships...
  • Options
    What channel is this on by the way? I'm assuming BBC on the grounds that England are winning. But it would be nice to see the curse of ITV lifted.
  • Options
    Can't imagine England will expend much energy in the second half.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    England winning 3-0 and this banging tune.

Life is good

https://twitter.com/hutch_leigh/status/1594428352336728065
  • Options
    Cookie said:

What channel is this on by the way? I'm assuming BBC on the grounds that England are winning. But it would be nice to see the curse of ITV lifted.

It is BBC...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,300
    Harry looking and perhaps feeling a bit forlorn...
  • Options
    Iran are quite poor, it must be said

But a cracking boost to England confidence
  • Options
    Leon said:

Iran are quite poor, it must be said

But a cracking boost to England confidence

To be fair, we’d normally scrape these games or lose it 1-0
This discussion has been closed.