Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority back as general election favourite – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    Lewis Goodall: Fmr Environment Sec George Eustice has spoken about the post-Brexit UK/Australia trade deal in the Commons. He says now no longer a minister: "I no longer have to put such a positive gloss on what was agreed...the Australia deal is not actually a very good trade deal for the UK."
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Apparently Mastodon is the new Twitter.

https://mastodon.social

Until you head over there… to watch the tumbleweed.
    There's plenty going on related to information security and goats. Not sure about other fields.

You need to get used to how it works though. Mostly it's like Twitter was originally, ie there's no algorothmic timeline, you just follow people and you see their tweets or the tweets they retweet.

However you're also on a particular server (it's easy to move your account) and you can look at the tweets of people on that server, so if you're into knitting and you join a knitting-based server you'll get everything the knitting people are talking about. Also the server does moderation, so if you're not happy with the way they do it you can just move server instead of needing to repeal Section 230 or buy Twitter or whatever.
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

All the wokiest leftiest most annoyingly right on Twitterers are urgently telling everyone their new handles on Mastodon. Which, of course, is entirely self defeating

Anyone with an ounce of non-Wokeness will shiver, and think No way. It will be a Woke ghetto and it will fail, as I have predicted
    A bit like Truth Social, Telegram and all the other crap sites the white supremacist loons headed over to.

May not be the end of the world then. The wokists can have their own echo chamber and not bother anyone else. The supremacists can have their own echo chamber and not bother anyone else.

And everyone sane can have Twitter as tumbleweed where nothing happens as without the echo chamber and pointless trolling of each other that site has bugger all left to it.
    Truth Social is literally a Mastodon server. However they turned off the federation feature so their community of snowflakes doesn't get disturbed by people with different opinions.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

All the wokiest leftiest most annoyingly right on Twitterers are urgently telling everyone their new handles on Mastodon. Which, of course, is entirely self defeating

Anyone with an ounce of non-Wokeness will shiver, and think No way. It will be a Woke ghetto and it will fail, as I have predicted
    Mastodon has bimbled along not failing for the last five years or so. I imagine it will continue to no fail in much the same way, regardless of what happens to Twitter.

As your regular posting here might indicate, sometimes it’s nice to be part of a community instead of a speck on the windshield of an SV social media company.
    Sure. But the Wokerati are desperately trying to turn Mastodon into the new Twitter - they are REALLY working hard at it - they seem oblivious to the truth that their labours are pointless if not counterproductive, because they will only attract their own types (and the more earnest amongst them, moreover). Everyone else will be actively repelled

When and if an alternative to Twitter arises (and it surely must, nothing is forever) it probably has to happen organically - the result of a hundred million individuals choosing a superior social network

And that is the key. A successful alternative to Twitter has to be superior, which is simultaneously simple but hard. Of course, it is possible Musk will fuck up Twitter so bad it becomes quite easy to be better than Twitter..
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,184
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

@moonshine thankyou for the tip about the Graham Hancock show on Netflix. Will watch

I see a huge Twitter-storm has erupted around it, with Woke anthropologists accusing him of white supremacism. WTAF

Afternoon Leon. Don't know about this but a big hat tip for the 5/1 nap you gave us for Hobbs to defeat K. Lake for AZ governor. I wish I'd followed it because it seems to have happened. K. Lake has lost. I think your betting recommendations are in general just that teeny bit better than is sometimes portrayed. Looking forward to plenty more in the future.
    Lol!!

Leon has been Kari’s cheerleader on here for many months - even claiming to have tipped her as first female US President before she was spotted by the American media - and he made his contrary post simply to hedge his bets once it started to look as if the curse of his support had maybe soiled her bed.

Truly, one can’t blame Kari for thinking that her election win has been stolen from her.

She will never have heard of the Curse of Leondamus, nor seen the shadow of the Jonah fall across her land when he arrived in her state, last month.

She might have felt a brief, cold, dreadful shiver down her spine, as Frodo did when the Dark Riders were close.

But, suddenly, her expected win has disappeared. And an American, faced with the unexpected, only has two potential explanations - a deep state conspiracy, or aliens.

And even Kari isn’t so loopy as to blame her defeat on aliens!
    Well there is all that. But I'm hunting out positives today and the "in-running" call was good in this instance.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Taz said:

The betting is right.

Heathener is correct. The Tories are finished for the time being. Certainly for the next electoral cycle.

Hmm, which is it? The betting is that Lab Maj/NOM is too close to call, which is decidedly not Heathener's opinion.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,511
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Mastodon has bimbled along not failing for the last five years or so. I imagine it will continue to no fail in much the same way, regardless of what happens to Twitter.

As your regular posting here might indicate, sometimes it’s nice to be part of a community instead of a speck on the windshield of an SV social media company.
    In any event, the real significance Mastodon is more as an escape contingency for particular communities (various sets of scientists, for example) should Twitter implode.

It's not designed or intended as a replacement for Twitter, as a means of entertainment for Leon.

And for now, the vast majority are staying on Twitter.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited November 2022
    A large wave of cruise missiles fired into Ukraine is the Russian "Fuck you!" to the G20.

You just going to sit there and take that, G20?

Give them the long range HIMARS shells.

"Oh dear, they said they would not use them to hit Russia, But hey, Russia said it would honour Ukrainian territorial integrity when it gave up nuclear weapons. Karma - what a bitch, huh?"
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

@moonshine thankyou for the tip about the Graham Hancock show on Netflix. Will watch

I see a huge Twitter-storm has erupted around it, with Woke anthropologists accusing him of white supremacism. WTAF

Afternoon Leon. Don't know about this but a big hat tip for the 5/1 nap you gave us for Hobbs to defeat K. Lake for AZ governor. I wish I'd followed it because it seems to have happened. K. Lake has lost. I think your betting recommendations are in general just that teeny bit better than is sometimes portrayed. Looking forward to plenty more in the future.
    lol, ta

Are you trying to make me feel guilty for being a bit mean to you last night? If so, apologies. I was possibly a little surly

Yes, I too regret not following the tip, though I acknowledged it at the time as good value. (Didn't want to risk what I'd already won on races I was more confident about.)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

There's plenty going on related to information security and goats. Not sure about other fields.

You need to get used to how it works though. Mostly it's like Twitter was originally, ie there's no algorothmic timeline, you just follow people and you see their tweets or the tweets they retweet.

However you're also on a particular server (it's easy to move your account) and you can look at the tweets of people on that server, so if you're into knitting and you join a knitting-based server you'll get everything the knitting people are talking about. Also the server does moderation, so if you're not happy with the way they do it you can just move server instead of needing to repeal Section 230 or buy Twitter or whatever.
    You see, my eyes glazed over halfway through that. This is just one of Mastodon's problems. Whenever someone tries to explain how it works, it sounds deadly dull and highly technical
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,172
    edited November 2022
    Cicero said:

Western commentators may be wrong about the Ukrainians being unable to cross the Dnipro and also about a pause in Ukrainian operations. It seems that the ZSU may have managed to get substantial forces across the river incredibly quickly and are now making flanking movements that are disrupting the ability of the Russians to stabilize their lines.

Still not yet confirmed, and there is an operational blackout on all information from the southern front, which may imply that there is something important is going on.

If the Russians are being pushed back from the Dnipro, then this is an emergency situation for them, it could lead to the breakdown of the entire southern front.

The governments of Estonia and Finland are meeting in Helsinki today, so no comment from the Estonian government side, but there are some quite cheerful looking high command types.

My guess is that the Ukrainians have conducted some special forces raids across the Dnipro to spread a bit of panic and disrupt Russian artillery.

Keeping a substantial force supplied would be a logistical nightmare, and there'd be a huge risk of losing lots of people and equipment. Generally, when the Ukrainians have made gains we hear about it within 24 hours, so I think we can classify most of the rumours about this as a mixture of propaganda and wishful thinking.
  • Options
    148grss said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes looks like LAB are going to win! I say that without any enthusiasm. I suspect the majority will be relatively small. Not much real enthusiasm for Keir and team even recognising that the current government is useless 👿

A small majority (or quite possibly, no majority) would almost certainly turn out to be a better Labour win for the country than a massive one.
    Would you not be worried by the left being too influential if that happens? Eg a Lab equivalent of the ERG led by Richard Burgon?
    The right wing weren't particularly influential under Cameron/Clegg - indeed the two of them used to play games with Cameron regularly using the 'threat' of what the LibDems might do or think to keep his nutters in line.
    Yes but they had a good majority and a formal coalition. I was more thinking of what happens with a small Lab majority or Lab minority government.
    A Lab minority (but largest party) might actually work to Labour's advantage in that they could call a quick second election and put the squeeze on LD/Green/SNP.
    Perhaps. But plan A has to be that big majority and "we are the masters now".
    If Lab can't win an overall majority in this climate, then when would they? If they called a quick second squeeze election, I'd be worried the electorate would be less likely to vote for me, not more.

If they don't have overall control (which atm looks highly unlikely, if they rake in 50% of the vote and the Tories aren't breaking 30% they would surely have a maj) they would likely have to do confidence and supply and provide PR or some concessions on Europe / devolution to get things going. Maybe Keir would call a second squeeze election in the safety he'd likely be PM even if he didn't secure a majority the second time around, but would he risk it?
    You could have said the same about the Tories between 2008 and 2010, though.
  • Options

The Lib Dems have fallen to a 17-month low in the polls, from a peak of 13.0% in July to just 7.9% now.

electionmaps.uk/polling

https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1592495169068486656?s=46&t=kauyGoQWOWWYQhb-p-yE4g

It really is bizarre how much they have fallen
    Have you seen their leader?
  • Options

A large wave of cruise missiles fired into Ukraine is the Russian "Fuck you!" to the G20.

"Oh dear, they said they would not use them to hit Russia, But hey, Russia said it would honour Ukrainian territorial integrity when it gave up nuclear weapons. Karma - what a bitch, huh?"

I don't think such trolling is quite Biden's forte.
    And, to be fair, his cautious approach seems so far to have paid off.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

Are you trying to make me feel guilty for being a bit mean to you last night? If so, apologies. I was possibly a little surly

Yes, I too regret not following the tip, though I acknowledged it at the time as good value. (Didn't want to risk what I'd already won on races I was more confident about.)
    It wasn’t a tip - it was an insurance post against being made to look a complete tit when his months of ramping Kari Lake turned to dust.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Leon said:

The £ has now reversed all the $ losses of the Trussterfuck

Indeed and very noticeable to read all of the Scotty posts and tweets hailing it today... oh.. wait .. no he's banging on about Brexit instead.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

All fine. You were feeling sad and nostalgic, is how it came over. Happens to all of us and coping techniques differ. Me, I go within. Others emit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,555
    "China's zero-COVID rules spark violent protests in Guangzhou

The Haizhu district in Guangzhou has been placed under strict stay-at-home measures to curb the spread of coronavirus, with the city recording more than 5,000 new cases in one day."

https://news.sky.com/story/chinas-zero-covid-rules-spark-violent-protests-in-guangzhou-12748053
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    eek said:

Leon said:

The £ has now reversed all the $ losses of the Trussterfuck

But not against the Euro - which should tell you everything about current $ and £ trends.
    It is up substantially against the € as well today which telly you that the real strory has been all about the rapid rise in US interest rates.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

5/1 was stupidly good value when the polls were clearly showing Lake was only ~2 points ahead - ie in a very tight two horse race. Indeed one poll in the final fortnight had Hobbs ahead

Even as an Early Lake Adopter I could see the dissonance

I wonder what she will do now. She still has a lot of raw talent, but she has tied herself far too close to the Odious Trump. She is probably doomed to disappear as quickly as she arose. A political wraith. A will o' the Arizonan wisp
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

It wasn’t a tip - it was an insurance post against being made to look a complete tit when his months of ramping Kari Lake turned to dust.
    It was certainly a well timed suggestion for a bet, which I nearly followed.
    Insurance or not.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940

Cicero said:

Western commentators may be wrong about the Ukrainians being unable to cross the Dnipro and also about a pause in Ukrainian operations. It seems that the ZSU may have managed to get substantial forces across the river incredibly quickly and are now making flanking movements that are disrupting the ability of the Russians to stabilize their lines.

Still not yet confirmed, and there is an operational blackout on all information from the southern front, which may imply that there is something important is going on.

If the Russians are being pushed back from the Dnipro, then this is an emergency situation for them, it could lead to the breakdown of the entire southern front.

The governments of Estonia and Finland are meeting in Helsinki today, so no comment from the Estonian government side, but there are some quite cheerful looking high command types.

My guess is that the Ukrainians have conducted some special forces raids across the Dnipro to spread a bit of panic and disrupt Russian artillery.

Keeping a substantial force supplied would be a logistical nightmare, and there'd be a huge risk of losing lots of people and equipment. Generally, when the Ukrainians have made gains we hear about it within 24 hours, so I think we can classify most of the rumours about this as a mixture of propaganda and wishful thinking.
    The liberation of Kherson has freed up a large number of troops on both sides, and the Russians will be looking at redeploying theirs, probably in the east. Ukraine may be wanting to reduce that redeployment, by performing lightning strikes elsewhere, causing the Russians to lengthen their defensive lines.

P'haps.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

5/1 was stupidly good value when the polls were clearly showing Lake was only ~2 points ahead - ie in a very tight two horse race. Indeed one poll in the final fortnight had Hobbs ahead

I wonder what she will do now. She still has a lot of raw talent, but she has tied herself far too close to the Odious Trump. She is probably doomed to disappear as quickly as she arose. A political wraith. A will o' the Arizonan wisp
    If only she knew the brutal truth, that without your ill fated visit to her state, she’d now be its governor for the next four years…..
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Lewis Goodall: Fmr Environment Sec George Eustice has spoken about the post-Brexit UK/Australia trade deal in the Commons. He says now no longer a minister: "I no longer have to put such a positive gloss on what was agreed...the Australia deal is not actually a very good trade deal for the UK."

The symbolism is immense. The Australian trade deal was the very embodiment of the Brexit dream - Britain breaking free of its continental bondage and re-forging links with nations from its mighty and glorious past. Now it transpires the Aussies screwed us and Mad Lizzy royally buggered things up. What a clunker.
    The deal is great. That Eustice is pandering to the farming lobby which are against free trade with a competitive nation we can get cheap, good quality meat which is good for consumers from is neither here nor there.

It is no better stopping meat and wine coming from Australia than it is meat and wine coming from France. If Eustice or anyone else doesn't like that, tough. They can vote against free trade, but if they're doing so then again better to be out of the EU so we can put tariffs on the French too not just the Aussies. Hypocritical bullshit.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

All fine. You were feeling sad and nostalgic, is how it came over. Happens to all of us and coping techniques differ. Me, I go within. Others emit.
    Gracious of you

I do miss the old PB which was probably more amusing. But they were more innocent times, pre Woke, pre Covid, pre Brexit, pre Everything Really, and it was maybe easier to be blithe and funny

However I noted your optimistic comment from earlier, and I tend to agree. Couple of tiny positive straws in the wind. Must hold on to them. Maybe not everything will turn to ashes
  • Options

Cicero said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

The Ukrainians have preceded their engagements to liberate territory with the smart use of artillery and SF to prepare the ground, rather than just impotently lobbing missiles anywhere or throwing men into the meat grinder.

So that the Ukrainian SF are able to conduct operations across the Dnipro already is important news and could precede a more wider engagement and liberation later on, not just be about panic.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,426

The Lib Dems have fallen to a 17-month low in the polls, from a peak of 13.0% in July to just 7.9% now.

electionmaps.uk/polling

https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1592495169068486656?s=46&t=kauyGoQWOWWYQhb-p-yE4g

No. I don't think anyone else has either. He seems invisible.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well, we've no way of knowing for sure what would have happened if Biden had been bolder, and supplied Ukraine with ATACMS, jets and tanks, but it's possible the war would be much closer to a conclusion, and the suffering of Ukrainian civilians considerably diminished.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,885
    Leon said:

Only her fans will know...
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

Gracious of you

I do miss the old PB which was probably more amusing. But they were more innocent times, pre Woke, pre Covid, pre Brexit, pre Everything Really, and it was maybe easier to be blithe and funny

However I noted your optimistic comment from earlier, and I tend to agree. Couple of tiny positive straws in the wind. Must hold on to them. Maybe not everything will turn to ashes
    In more serious times, politics is shifting away from those who are in it just for a laugh or for a chance to play the game, toward those prepared to take the job in hand more seriously.

Simultaneously, you’ve reached an age at which you are no longer able to change with the times and revel in continuing human progress, and begin ranting about the loss of the world that you knew from times past - despite this being, objectively, a more unpleasant place.

You’re at a fork in the road. Be Compo or Foggy, time to choose….
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    By Christmas, nobody will remember the September heist budget or Liz whoever-it-was.

The Tories will win the next election by fighting it on imm*gr*tion. It is possible to blame immigrants for almost anything: the NHS being sh*t, real incomes falling (what parrots call "the cost of living crisis"), crime, schools being sh*t, debt, unemployment, and not receiving the inheritance you expected because of the cost of keeping yer granny in a "home".

Keir Starmer is at 1.38 at Smarkets to be PM after the next GE.
    Laying him yields a 263% profit on stake if he isn't.
    That's what I call value.

Oh no, wait, news just in: the Heil will support Starmer.
    Just kidding.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

electionmaps.uk/polling

He is invisible but I would have thought some of the ex tories would have gone to them
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

Yes, but possible value trap being so close to the actual result,
    As I said, I'd made some money for once, and was feeling cautious about hanging on to it.

As far as Lake herself is concerned, I think she's done. No loss.
  • Options
    As far as I understand it, Leon has left. Good riddance.

Therefore I will be returning to the site.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

electionmaps.uk/polling

They are not in the news and have no policies out there. Expect them to rise closer to the election when they get fairer exposure plus people will be looking for tactical votes.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    edited November 2022
    What does @ScotParl think it says about women when it excludes women from wearing a scarf in suffragette colours? How do you think women ever got to vote in the first place? Bonkers.

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1592519268754919424

This is a disgraceful episode for Scottish democracy. This is not the Scotland I entered politics to promote. It’s completely out of step with what the suffragettes fought for, the spirit of the enlightenment & indeed the founding principles of the @scotparl.

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1592504276009783299
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,885

What does @ScotParl think it says about women when it excludes women from wearing a scarf in suffragette colours? How do you think women ever got to vote in the first place? Bonkers.

Curious what would have happened if it had been a man...
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

electionmaps.uk/polling

They are not in the news and have no policies out there. Expect them to rise closer to the election when they get fairer exposure plus people will be looking for tactical votes.
    Its a long way back from 7%
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,019

He’s not left.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Well, we've no way of knowing for sure what would have happened if Biden had been bolder, and supplied Ukraine with ATACMS, jets and tanks, but it's possible the war would be much closer to a conclusion, and the suffering of Ukrainian civilians considerably diminished.
    Yes, that's the call I think I'd have made were it my decision (FWTW, which isn't much). And potentially it would have saved a lot of grief.
    But against that were all the voices in the US urging him not to do anything, and also the chance that a bolder response might have been misinterpreted as the US directly entering the conflict.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The symbolism is immense. The Australian trade deal was the very embodiment of the Brexit dream - Britain breaking free of its continental bondage and re-forging links with nations from its mighty and glorious past. Now it transpires the Aussies screwed us and Mad Lizzy royally buggered things up. What a clunker.
    It was an "Australian Style" Trade Deal - only good for Australia!
  • Options
    Presiding Officer Alison Johnson addresses the removal of members of the public from a committee meeting this morning.

"The action taken was an error and I would like to apologise on behalf of the parliament," she said.

https://twitter.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1592521375222099969

What’s telling is that some minion thought it appropriate to do this in the first place.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

Yes, but possible value trap being so close to the actual result,
    As I said, I'd made some money for once, and was feeling cautious about hanging on to it.

As far as Lake herself is concerned, I think she's done. No loss.
    "for once" ... c'mon, you're one of the best on here at America.
  • Options

He’s not left.
    In what way os that off-topic?

It’s a straight answer to a comment posted
  • Options
    Minister Lorna Slater admits the Scottish Government has been using an incorrect figure about Scotland's offshore wind potential.

https://twitter.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1592526190052773889
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Only her fans will know...
    A two minute political obituary.
    https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1592514270419636228
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    IanB2 said:

If we're now questioning whether free trade is always and everywhere a good thing, then maybe we should revisit the EU agreement, not to make it more open, but to make it more restricted in areas where it is in our national interest.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Curious what would have happened if it had been a man...
    The officials probably thought they were wearing football colours! Hilarious!

Green-white-violet. Give-women-votes. That's spurious BTW: that's not why the colours were chosen. Moreover, they're green-white-purple, not green-white-violet. But anyway...
  • Options

He’s not left.

You sound so needy. So someone clicked a button underneath a comment you left on a webpage. Why care?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,716
    edited November 2022

IanB2 said:

If we're now questioning whether free trade is always and everywhere a good thing, then maybe we should revisit the EU agreement, not to make it more open, but to make it more restricted in areas where it is in our national interest.
    You need to understand your erstwhile fellow travellers.

Trade with Europe good.
    Trade with Australia bad.

Barriers with Europe bad.
    Barriers with Australia good.

Four legs good, two legs better! All Animals Are Equal. But Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,555
    "Thousands of older Londoners have called on Sadiq Khan to reinstate their free travel during the morning rush hour.

The benefit – which is given to about 1.3m people over 60 – was suspended soon after the start of the pandemic in June 2020 for weekday journeys before 9am, primarily to ensure public transport was kept free for key workers.

But the mayor is due to decide by the end of the year whether to retain the restriction on a permanent basis, which would generate about £15m to £18m in fares for cash-strapped Transport for London.

The charity Age UK London presented a petition signed by more than 10,000 people, demanding the reinstatement of the benefit, to City Hall on Tuesday afternoon."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/contactless-oyster-travel-over-60s-before-9am-city-hall-sadiq-khan-petition-tfl-age-uk-b1039803.html
  • Options
    Texas book banning / war on woke...

My son fell in love with Tolkien after reading the Hobbit when he was 9. It was transformative for him, sparking a love for fantasy/adventure.

Frisco ISD in North Texas has removed access for kids in 5th grade and younger.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Hixenbaugh/status/1592319820149968896
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

He’s not left.

You sound so needy. So someone clicked a button underneath a comment you left on a webpage. Why care?
    I don't. But @CorrectHorseBattery3 returns and the passive aggressive "off-topicing" starts...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

To be fair, the Aussies were specifically asked to screw us. Can't blame them. But Liz was a lady in a tearing hurry, much as Boris was in a tearing hurry in 2019. Unsurprisingly, if you prioritise extreme speed over a sensible agreement (despite there not actually being any hurry in either case), you don't get a good outcome.
    There's a theme here - rushing about, never doing anything properly - which has little to do with ideology and everything to do with the sort of people empowered (I'd argue) by Tory Party shifts since 2016. The minibudget and the Brexit deal take joint top honours in this category imo. I can't split them.
  • Options

He’s not left.

People do that by accident when they're phone-using PB, I think.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, that's the call I think I'd have made were it my decision (FWTW, which isn't much). And potentially it would have saved a lot of grief.
    But against that were all the voices in the US urging him not to do anything, and also the chance that a bolder response might have been misinterpreted as the US directly entering the conflict.
    It's interesting that Russia hasn't used the ballistic missiles they were said to have received from Iran yet. I'd expected those a while ago now. Makes me wonder if Russia have been told that use of those missiles will see ATACMS supplied to Ukraine, and they've decided to back off.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,618
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol, ta

It depends on what you mean by 'raw talent', and I don't think it needs the word 'raw' either. She is very slick, very presentable and very quick and if that is what you mean she definitely has talent.

However she is a salesperson, and we don't need sales people, we need doers, chairpeople, facilitators, negotiators, etc.

And what is worse she is a snake oil salesperson pitching lies either deliberately, or because she is a fool, neither of which you want in a position of power.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He’s not left.

Very coincidental that my comment asking why it was "off-topic" was off-topiced then...
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

By Christmas, nobody will remember the September heist budget or Liz whoever-it-was.

The Tories will win the next election by fighting it on imm*gr*tion. It is possible to blame immigrants for almost anything: the NHS being sh*t, real incomes falling (what parrots call "the cost of living crisis"), crime, schools being sh*t, debt, unemployment, and not receiving the inheritance you expected because of the cost of keeping yer granny in a "home".

Just kidding.

Depressing as it is, to think the Tories could win again, I think you may be right
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

He’s not left.

I always count it as a like from someone who is drunk or with a fat finger. Wonder how many off topics I get for this post?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,958
    mickydroy said:

DJ41 said:

Just kidding.

Depressing as it is, to think the Tories could win again, I think you may be right
    The Tories can blame Immigrants for everything but the response to that is very simple - why haven't they do anything about it in the past 12-14 years especially given that since 2016 it's been under their complete control.
  • Options
    This is the only thing putting me off laying Trump further.

“Trump hears the heavy footfall of the constable closing in behind him. He can’t stay still. He has to run.” One other reason: to prove his imitators were doomed from the start; they lost not because of him but because he alone is MAGA
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1592520777123131398

If/when he announces, his odds are likely to shorten.
    And it's still not impossible he gets the nomination; while many Republican voters seem to have fallen out of love, how true is that of the activists who'll turn out in the primaries ?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930

electionmaps.uk/polling

He is invisible but I would have thought some of the ex tories would have gone to them
    They have - but only in about 10% of the constituencies.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DJ41 said:

He’s not left.

I always count it as a like from someone who is drunk or with a fat finger. Wonder how many off topics I get for this post?
    Sorely tempted for a moment there.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

DJ41 said:

He’s not left.

Go on, you know you want to.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393

Minister Lorna Slater admits the Scottish Government has been using an incorrect figure about Scotland's offshore wind potential.

https://twitter.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1592526190052773889

The figure is fairly meaningless anyway. By its nature that capacity can never be realised. Wind providers need payment, or they won't build/maintain wind farms. That means if you have this glorious overcapacity, paying them not to provide power.
  • Options

electionmaps.uk/polling

ex-Tories have moved en masse to the Can't Be Arsed Party.

For now.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    IanB2 said:

148grss said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes looks like LAB are going to win! I say that without any enthusiasm. I suspect the majority will be relatively small. Not much real enthusiasm for Keir and team even recognising that the current government is useless 👿

A small majority (or quite possibly, no majority) would almost certainly turn out to be a better Labour win for the country than a massive one.
    Would you not be worried by the left being too influential if that happens? Eg a Lab equivalent of the ERG led by Richard Burgon?
    The right wing weren't particularly influential under Cameron/Clegg - indeed the two of them used to play games with Cameron regularly using the 'threat' of what the LibDems might do or think to keep his nutters in line.
    Yes but they had a good majority and a formal coalition. I was more thinking of what happens with a small Lab majority or Lab minority government.
    A Lab minority (but largest party) might actually work to Labour's advantage in that they could call a quick second election and put the squeeze on LD/Green/SNP.
    Perhaps. But plan A has to be that big majority and "we are the masters now".
    If Lab can't win an overall majority in this climate, then when would they? If they called a quick second squeeze election, I'd be worried the electorate would be less likely to vote for me, not more.

But it’s not just the climate - it’s the swing.

Most people (but not all, as pollsters know!) remember how they voted last time. Having made a decision it’s human nature to defend it - beyond the point at which a newcomer, objectively weighing the evidence, would come to the opposite conclusion. This basic aspect of human thinking acts as a brake on the number of people who are prepared to switch at the succeeding election, particularly if it follows soon after.

A Labour majority requires an exceptional number of people who backed the Tories last time to admit that they were wrong - and while many will, some won’t. For people who don’t follow politics particularly closely, an abstention may be an easier option than jumping straight to the opposing team. Hence a government just scrapes in can hope that a second election soon after will pull over that vital few extra supporters to get them more comfortably across the line.
    Also, unless Labour really turns it around in Scotland (of which there is currently little sign), then they need to get to 326 almost entirely in England and Wales.

That's a tough ask.

Put this in context for a second. Back in 2005, when Labour got a majority of 66, they got 56 of their seats in Scotland.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

He’s not left.

Because the off topic button (as with the spam button) sends a notification to the moderator team, and therefore it shouldn't be abused.
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

DJ41 said:

Just kidding.

An incumbent government, with a 12+ year record, can most credibly win on an argument along the lines of, "we've made so much progress, don't let the opposition ruin it."

It's not possible for the Tories to run that argument for immigration. They've had twelve years and, regardless of what side of the debate you're on, the situation is worse. There's no progress for the opposition to ruin.

Post-Truss too many in the electorate aren't willing to listen to the Tories anymore. The shark has been jumped. It's over.

Starmer, of course, or his shadow Cabinet, still have it within their power to blow it. Plenty of sharks to be jumped if politicians are stupid enough.
  • Options

electionmaps.uk/polling

Nope. The electorate have decided they want rid of the Tories. That means voting Labour in England and Wales and SNP in Scotland. The Lib Dems are surplus to requirements.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

electionmaps.uk/polling

Nope. The electorate have decided they want rid of the Tories. That means voting Labour in England and Wales and SNP in Scotland. The Lib Dems are surplus to requirements.
    Lib dems are not surplus in the South of England, Often they will be the best vote to oust a Tory.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Trade with Europe good.

Four legs good, two legs better! All Animals Are Equal. But Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others.
    Invert that and we have you. But in any case, for our trading account, Australia is of marginal interest compared to Europe.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Someone should write a little web app that simultaneously posts to Truth, Twitter, Gab and Mastodon. In that way, you can make all the networks into one.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

This is the only thing putting me off laying Trump further.

“Trump hears the heavy footfall of the constable closing in behind him. He can’t stay still. He has to run.” One other reason: to prove his imitators were doomed from the start; they lost not because of him but because he alone is MAGA
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1592520777123131398

If/when he announces, his odds are likely to shorten.
    And it's still not impossible he gets the nomination; while many Republican voters seem to have fallen out of love, how true is that of the activists who'll turn out in the primaries ?

Yep, my plan. He announces, there's some pizazz, his odds for the WH drop, I add to my short. Specifically for the WH.
  • Options

mickydroy said:

DJ41 said:

Just kidding.

An incumbent government, with a 12+ year record, can most credibly win on an argument along the lines of, "we've made so much progress, don't let the opposition ruin it."

It's not possible for the Tories to run that argument for immigration. They've had twelve years and, regardless of what side of the debate you're on, the situation is worse. There's no progress for the opposition to ruin.

Post-Truss too many in the electorate aren't willing to listen to the Tories anymore. The shark has been jumped. It's over.

Starmer, of course, or his shadow Cabinet, still have it within their power to blow it. Plenty of sharks to be jumped if politicians are stupid enough.
    Yes but the might of the Tory propaganda machines will turn their guns on Starmer, and it won't be pretty, although they can't have a go at him for being dull, if anything Sunak is duller than him
  • Options

electionmaps.uk/polling

Lib dems are not surplus in the South of England, Often they will be the best vote to oust a Tory.
    It's interesting to compare with the polling for the 1997GE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election

The Lib Dems received more votes in the general election then the vast majority of opinion polls had predicted during the election campaign, or in the few years before had predicted. However, before Blair became Labour leader the Lib Dems had regularly polled above 20%, a lot higher than their eventual GE tally.

So, to a certain extent, both sides of this argument are right. The Lib Dems are likely to outperform their pre-election polling due to tactical voting considerations, and the impact of election campaigning.

However, the recent decline in Lib Dem poll shares appears to mirror that seen when Blair became Labour leader in 1994, suggestive of an effect where general opposition to the incumbent government becomes concentrated in support for the principal opposition as the means by which to be rid of that incumbent government.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

He’s not left.

Very coincidental that my comment asking why it was "off-topic" was off-topiced then...
    Given this one that I'm now replying to has also been OT'd I think we can indeed deduce that we're looking at an act of cold calculated intent. Ooo err.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Trade with Europe good.

Invert that and we have you. But in any case, for our trading account, Australia is of marginal interest compared to Europe.
    So it's more important to protect our farmers from European competition than from Australian competition?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,958
    Andy_JS said:

"Thousands of older Londoners have called on Sadiq Khan to reinstate their free travel during the morning rush hour.

The benefit – which is given to about 1.3m people over 60 – was suspended soon after the start of the pandemic in June 2020 for weekday journeys before 9am, primarily to ensure public transport was kept free for key workers.

But the mayor is due to decide by the end of the year whether to retain the restriction on a permanent basis, which would generate about £15m to £18m in fares for cash-strapped Transport for London.

The charity Age UK London presented a petition signed by more than 10,000 people, demanding the reinstatement of the benefit, to City Hall on Tuesday afternoon."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/contactless-oyster-travel-over-60s-before-9am-city-hall-sadiq-khan-petition-tfl-age-uk-b1039803.html

why would a pensioner need to travel so early in the morning - 99% of them most be using their free travel to get to work.
  • Options
    More than 100 missiles so far today. Symbolic that it is during the G20, as the Ukrainians expected. Something of a snub to India and China you would think. I had wondered whether Russia would use the G20 as an opportunity to push for a ceasefire, but I guess not.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

DJ41 said:

He’s not left.

Go on, you know you want to.
    That's definitely not a fat finger; more of a f** f***.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149

More than 100 missiles so far today. Symbolic that it is during the G20, as the Ukrainians expected. Something of a snub to India and China you would think. I had wondered whether Russia would use the G20 as an opportunity to push for a ceasefire, but I guess not.

Personally given the go-ahead by Putin, no question. Like a child raging in the playground.

• Options
    mickydroy said:

mickydroy said:

DJ41 said:

Just kidding.

Yes but the might of the Tory propaganda machines will turn their guns on Starmer, and it won't be pretty, although they can't have a go at him for being dull, if anything Sunak is duller than him
    Tory propaganda is effective, but it isn't magic. It works best by shaping views over an extended period of time. I don't think it can do much when faced with the settled will of the public formed in the heat of the experience of the 49-day PM.
  • Options

Low yield cruise missiles into residential areas is probably the most ridiculous waste of money by the Russians yet. They'll kill a few tens of civilians and have very few working missiles left at the end.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Trade with Europe good.

So it's more important to protect our farmers from European competition than from Australian competition?
    Not really, because other European producers are high cost like us, having the same animal welfare rules and similar geography. Australia is a much more efficient agricultural producer, like the US, and so always pushes for trade liberalisation in agriculture. If protecting our farmers is an objective, there's a lot more to worry about from trade with Australia, despite Europe being a far bigger trading partner overall.
  • Options
    Russia responds to @ZelenskyyUa 's powerful speech at #G20 with a new missile attack. Does anyone seriously think that the Kremlin really wants peace? It wants obedience. But at the end of the day, terrorists always lose.
    https://twitter.com/AndriyYermak/status/1592504182703284229
  • Options
    Ukraine's Foreign Minister Kuleba: "Russian missiles are killing people and ruining infrastructure across Ukraine right now. This is what Russia has to say on the issue of peace talks."
    https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1592535258448252929
  • Options
    Leon said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Sure. But the Wokerati are desperately trying to turn Mastodon into the new Twitter - they are REALLY working hard at it - they seem oblivious to the truth that their labours are pointless if not counterproductive, because they will only attract their own types (and the more earnest amongst them, moreover). Everyone else will be actively repelled

When and if an alternative to Twitter arises (and it surely must, nothing is forever) it probably has to happen organically - the result of a hundred million individuals choosing a superior social network

And that is the key. A successful alternative to Twitter has to be superior, which is simultaneously simple but hard. Of course, it is possible Musk will fuck up Twitter so bad it becomes quite easy to be better than Twitter..
    I love the way you've conjured up a sinister cohort of wokerati.
  • Options

electionmaps.uk/polling

Yes. The blue wall. In the "old era" - pre Tory suicide - that was going to be key to ousting them. A chunk of LD gains in the sort of affluent Con seats that have an inbuilt aversion to having a Lab MP. This might still be true unless the Lab lead going into the GE is looking big enough for a comfortable majority. So if I were a LD supporter I think I'd be wanting the Lab v Con polling to narrow a lot from here.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I love the way you've conjured up a sinister cohort of wokerati.
    The sinister cohort of wokerati seems to be having great difficulty mastering the technical challenges of Mastodon.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    Nigelb said:

Russia responds to @ZelenskyyUa 's powerful speech at #G20 with a new missile attack. Does anyone seriously think that the Kremlin really wants peace? It wants obedience. But at the end of the day, terrorists always lose.
    https://twitter.com/AndriyYermak/status/1592504182703284229

Do terrorists always lose? The IRA have made some pretty strong advances I'd say. Britain wasn't even allowed to install a border between Britain and Ireland for fear they'd start up again. That's a win without even donning a balaclava.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Personally given the go-ahead by Putin, no question. Like a child raging in the playground.

Yup. Any bad news for Putin (this time, the loss of Kherson and the much-televised visit by Zelensky ) means a temper tantrum in the form of war crimes.....

The only response is a 1,000 long range HIMARS launched with pin-point accuracy into a 1,000 targets in Crimea. Give Ukraine the long range means to do so, immediately.
  • Options
    @Anabobazina

Yes, very clever. Don't do it again.
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

why would a pensioner need to travel so early in the morning - 99% of them most be using their free travel to get to work.
    Though you wouldn't like to be stuck in a queue for a bus behind pensioners "waiting for 9 o'clock" and miss your bus.
  • Options
    With the angry "your mum", no "YOUR mum" arguments from some on here I wonder if Elon actually bought PB by accident as well as Twitter.

We all have posters we like more than others. A place where we boycott opinions and voices we dislike and only listen to what we want is how we end up with morons watching GBeebies and reading the Daily Express thinking they are being given news.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Low yield cruise missiles into residential areas is probably the most ridiculous waste of money by the Russians yet. They'll kill a few tens of civilians and have very few working missiles left at the end.
    The Russian military has demonstrated a wide range of weaknesses, but one of the most important seems to be in target acquisition. Militarily there should be large numbers of better targets for these missiles, but the Russians don't know where those targets are, so they've wasted them on residential areas and fixed infrastructure.
This discussion has been closed.