Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

CON polling better under Sunak but still way behind – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Interesting but more interesting is how decisions by Cameron May Johnson and Truss have done more damage to this country than any consecutive group of Prime Ministers in history. They have all but destroyed it. In every case they put personal aggrandisement above the good of the country. Cameron was slightly less culpable and Johnson slightly more but history will judge them equally. The sooner the country is shot of the whole Party -which the surely will-the sooner the reconstruction can start.

Item 1. rejoining the EU. On our knees if necessary

How has the country been "all but destroyed?"
    "The worst economic performance since records began'. BBC 5 O'Clock News.

Supply chains 'Thanks to Brexit' the worst ever and Covid is NOT the major cause.
    FYI, here's a chart of UK and German #GDP, updated to include today's Q3 data for the UK.

Since Q1 2016 (the quarter before the vote to leave the EU), the UK economy has grown by around 6.7% and the German economy by about 6.2%.

#BrexitReality

https://twitter.com/julianHjessop/status/1591036294494576640
    Watch the Six o'clock news. We are the bottom of the G7 and the only one with deficit and if you compare the size of our economy with its pre Brexit size it has reduced significantly more than the other six. The cause is almost certainly Brexit according to Faisal Islam
    "according to Faisal Islam"
    He definitely wasn't listening because the idea that the UK is the only G7 nation with a deficit is laughable. Only Germany has got lower national debt and a lower deficit as a proportion of GDP than we do trailing 12 months. Even that looks like it will change in the next 5 years as UK debt continues to fall as a proportion of GDP.
    Canada beats us too, don't they?
    Deficit maybe, don't think so on debt. Alas, my computer is now off until Monday so we'll never know.
    Both Roger and (if he is quoting him correctly) Islam are talking rubbish.

G7 debt as % GDP End 2021 according to the IMF

Germany 69.3%
    UK 95.1% (Latest figure for September 2022 is 98%)
    Canada 112.8%
    France 113%
    USA 137%
    Italy 151%
    Japan 266%

G7 Deficits end 2021 as % GDP again from IMF

Germany 3.7%
    Canada 4.7%
    UK 6%
    France 6.5%
    Italy 7.2%
    Japan 12.6%
    USA 16.7%

The IMF numbers for Canada include local government debt, but do not for everywhere else. Why, I don't know.

And their US numbers are gross: if you include the numbers the US government owes to itself (i.e. a US government entity owns US government bonds), then the debt-to-GDP numbers come down considerably (although they are still well above the UK).
    Yep, I was using the IMF numbers as they are the only consolidated set I could find. I would add that if you use the UK OBR numbers then the UK debt is 102% at end 2021, not 95%. But that doesn't actually change our position in the table.
  • Alistair said:

Conclusion: Sean Patrick Maloney is a worse strategist than Robbie Mook.

My "like" is more for your question (so to speak) than your conclusion.

Caveat being, personally think Mook was & still is in a league of his own, along with Mark Penn.

However, Maloney DID manage to piss away four US House seats - including his own - via moronic New York State gerrymander than never was.

IF any Democrat for US House HAD to lose their seat in 2022 midterms, then my personal vote for such a sacrifice, would definitely be soon-to-be ex-US Rep. Sean Patrick Baloney - the freaking chair of the freaking Democratic freaking Campaign freaking Committee.

Talk about poetic justice.
  • Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Whether a deal has been done with Putin, or not, those scenes in Kherson are spellbinding. What is it about Liberation videos? They have the same power whether they come from France in 1944, or Ukraine in 2022

They must touch something primal and Freudian inside us. The beaten animal yearning to be free, the glorious overthrowing of the oppressor

Yes. And it puts much of what we worry about into perspective. 2nd May 1997 is perhaps our nearest equivalent in recent memory - but even to make such a comparison is absurd and slightly crass.
    Very absurd and very crass
    Yes. very crass. Actually offensive. For me, the closest comparison to the Kherson Liberation is Brexit Day, Friday 31st January, and the moment Boris won the GE in 2019, when we knew he would Ged Brexit Done

The hideous oppressor was expelled, and the tanks of free movement and the artillery of trade regulations fled across the Channel, like the soldiers across the Dnieper, and it was like having a baby as well
    Even more absurdly crass. Only swiveleyed loons like you think the fools charter of Brexit is anything worth celebrating. "Ooo sovereinty sovereignty" we hear the brainwashed fuckwits cry. We already had our sovereignty you gullible thickheads.
    I read your post yesterday about your Euroscepticism with some interest, but it makes your stridency about Brexit seem a bit artificial. Surely you must see arguments on both sides, even if on balance you favoured Remain or thought the disadvantages outweighed any advantages from pulling out?

If you're a William Hague-style Eurosceptic then you must think that the EU has done things and plans to do more things that we are better off steering clear of, but at the same time you are adamant that there are absolutely no benefits whatsoever from opting out of the whole lot. How can you be so sure that the line of what to opt in to was drawn in precisely the right place before 2016?
    I am a right of centre pragmatist, though I must admit that my putdowns of the lunatic Brexit apologists may well make me seem like an EU enthusiast when I never have been such. I was not in favour of joining Euro, and not in favour of "ever closer union", the latter which I think is mythological, as the French in particular have zero intention of being absorbed into a full-on union with Germany. I find British EU-phobia (as opposed to Eurosceptism) to be a pernicious and dangerously stupid ideology.
    Being part of an organisation whose explicit aims - Ever Closer Union - we are opposed to on the basis that we hope other members will share our opposition seems - well - a little trusting for my tastes.
    It is meaningless nonsense and is seen as such by many pro-Europeans. The only people who bang on about it are the rabid Euro-federalists, who are in reality a minority, and British EU-phobes.
    And yet the clear movement for the first 16 years of the century was ever closer union. When something is both an explicit aim of the organisation and is visibly happening, you can forgive people for thinking Ever Closer Union is a thing.
    It is amusing that the Europhiles try to deny it when it is literally written at the start of the founding document and remains the stated aim of the organisation.

Maybe they think they are lying?
    Worth adding that not all Europhiles try to deny this. The Federal Union for example is very keen on the EU as a fully Federal state and pushes this aspect of the organisation with great candour and pride. I disagree with them but you could never accuse them of being misleading.
  • Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Even had we voted Remain in due course we would have ended up on the outer edge with non Eurozone Sweden, Denmark and Poland and Hungary while the rest moved full steam ahead to federal union.

Yes, exactly (except fuller union of the core won't be anything like at 'full steam ahead', more like a snail's pace with long periods of stasis, if it ever happens at all). We'd have had the best of all possible positions: all the advantages of full EU membership, without the excessive bits. It is such an extraordinary tragedy that we, of our own volition, threw it away. As I predicted at the time, we'll spend at least a decade, perhaps longer, painfully trying to claw back some of the lost ground, but we'll never get back to such a favourable position as we had.
    And all of it easily avoided if the arrogant clueless europhiles had only given the British people a vote on earlier moments of integration - as they so often promised, yet failed to do

This constant fraudulence led inexorably to the fatal rupture of total Brexit. Consider this
    Yes, the EU as it was circa 2005 almost everybody could have lived with*. A halfway house, fine. Had Cameron tried that little bit harder to achieve such a thing, and to sell it he would have carried the day. Sadly, he thought all he had to was reject the Eurosceptics. Inasmuch as he thought about Euroscepticism, he thought it was confined to a fringe of his own party and an even smaller fringe of the far left. He thought that the country thought like Witney. But given Lisbon we had no way to trust that we wouldn't be dragged in further. Blair wanted to be at the heart of Europe, remember, and wanted to join the Euro. Why would we trust our political classes on Europe? So in a forced choice of wholly in or wholly out, out wins.

*Not me. I was a leaver long before it was unfashionable. But even I was a soft Brexiteer.
    Cameron worked very hard and was a good executive chair but was never a deep thinker.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Kari Lake is like a ramping pollster.

@KariLake
    BOMBSHELL NEWS
    STAY TUNED 👀

https://twitter.com/KariLake/status/1591151554601816064
  • Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Whether a deal has been done with Putin, or not, those scenes in Kherson are spellbinding. What is it about Liberation videos? They have the same power whether they come from France in 1944, or Ukraine in 2022

They must touch something primal and Freudian inside us. The beaten animal yearning to be free, the glorious overthrowing of the oppressor

Yes. And it puts much of what we worry about into perspective. 2nd May 1997 is perhaps our nearest equivalent in recent memory - but even to make such a comparison is absurd and slightly crass.
    Yes. very crass. Actually offensive. For me, the closest comparison to the Kherson Liberation is Brexit Day, Friday 31st January, and the moment Boris won the GE in 2019, when we knew he would Ged Brexit Done

The hideous oppressor was expelled, and the tanks of free movement and the artillery of trade regulations fled across the Channel, like the soldiers across the Dnieper, and it was like having a baby as well
    Even more absurdly crass. Only swiveleyed loons like you think the fools charter of Brexit is anything worth celebrating. "Ooo sovereinty sovereignty" we hear the brainwashed fuckwits cry. We already had our sovereignty you gullible thickheads.
    I read your post yesterday about your Euroscepticism with some interest, but it makes your stridency about Brexit seem a bit artificial. Surely you must see arguments on both sides, even if on balance you favoured Remain or thought the disadvantages outweighed any advantages from pulling out?

If you're a William Hague-style Eurosceptic then you must think that the EU has done things and plans to do more things that we are better off steering clear of, but at the same time you are adamant that there are absolutely no benefits whatsoever from opting out of the whole lot. How can you be so sure that the line of what to opt in to was drawn in precisely the right place before 2016?
    I am a right of centre pragmatist, though I must admit that my putdowns of the lunatic Brexit apologists may well make me seem like an EU enthusiast when I never have been such. I was not in favour of joining Euro, and not in favour of "ever closer union", the latter which I think is mythological, as the French in particular have zero intention of being absorbed into a full-on union with Germany. I find British EU-phobia (as opposed to Eurosceptism) to be a pernicious and dangerously stupid ideology.
    Being part of an organisation whose explicit aims - Ever Closer Union - we are opposed to on the basis that we hope other members will share our opposition seems - well - a little trusting for my tastes.
    It is meaningless nonsense and is seen as such by many pro-Europeans. The only people who bang on about it are the rabid Euro-federalists, who are in reality a minority, and British EU-phobes.
    And yet the clear movement for the first 16 years of the century was ever closer union. When something is both an explicit aim of the organisation and is visibly happening, you can forgive people for thinking Ever Closer Union is a thing.
    It is amusing that the Europhiles try to deny it when it is literally written at the start of the founding document and remains the stated aim of the organisation.

They know it's hugely inconvenient to their case so try to belittle it.
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

Roger is a mysogynist as he supports Roman Polanksi who sodomized a 15 year old girl and dismisses it as hardly relevant

Roger is a racist as he dismisses tunisians as not real people

Waiting for his homophobia to surface next

He rails against people from hartlepool but I suspect he would disgust most people in hartlepool because of his views

What was the bible quote....remove the beam from your own eye first.

He's also lauded "vibrant Italy" a lot in the past, the same Italy that has just elected a nationalist government with the leading party formed out of the ashes of the Italian fascist party. He's gone quiet about "vibrant Italy" recently though.
    Roger is everything he claims to despise but can't see it because he classes himself as left wing. The rest of us classify him as pond scum
    Bit strong.

He's just a prejudiced left-wing snob.

When you filter everything through that he's sort of harmless and amusing.
    Would you excuse anyone else for blatant mysogyny and racism? I don't know anyone else on this board that is such a blatant arsehole
    Oh I don't know. I expect I may well be more so, but the competition is stiff.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Ratters said:

I wonder where Ukraine's next breakthrough attack will be? Kharkiv Oblast and Kherson west of the Dnipro river are now secure, which had been the focus for so long.

The length of the frontline seems to offer a few different options once the Ukraine army has regrouped from its latest victory.

The Ukrainians have still been pressing, and making marginal gains, on the Svatove-Kreminna front in northern Luhansk - so a continuation of the Kharkiv offensive.

Melitopol and then Mariupol would be the most symbolic target, and the sooner the remaining civilians in Mariupol are liberated the better the chance they have of surviving the winter. It would also create the opportunity to recapture control of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, which would make a big difference to the electricity supply situation. And ultimately it's the only way they would be able to dislodge the Russians from the other bank of the Dnipro, and push them out of artillery range of Kherson City.

A former commander of US forces in Europe has said that he expects Ukraine to retake all the territory lost to Russia since February 24th by the end of this year. That would require rapid advances in both those directions over the next seven weeks, which seems a bit unlikely to me, but he has more subject matter knowledge than I do.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735

It is amusing, but only because it is the Europhobes who deny it

"We voted for the common market, not the EU..."

Bollocks.
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

Roger is a mysogynist as he supports Roman Polanksi who sodomized a 15 year old girl and dismisses it as hardly relevant

He rails against people from hartlepool but I suspect he would disgust most people in hartlepool because of his views

He's also lauded "vibrant Italy" a lot in the past, the same Italy that has just elected a nationalist government with the leading party formed out of the ashes of the Italian fascist party. He's gone quiet about "vibrant Italy" recently though.
    Roger is everything he claims to despise but can't see it because he classes himself as left wing. The rest of us classify him as pond scum
    Bit strong.

He's just a prejudiced left-wing snob.

When you filter everything through that he's sort of harmless and amusing.
    Would you excuse anyone else for blatant mysogyny and racism? I don't know anyone else on this board that is such a blatant arsehole
    Oh I don't know. I expect I may well be more so, but the competition is stiff.
    I'll fight you for it :)
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Caveat being, personally think Mook was & still is in a league of his own, along with Mark Penn.

However, Maloney DID manage to piss away four US House seats - including his own - via moronic New York State gerrymander than never was.

IF any Democrat for US House HAD to lose their seat in 2022 midterms, then my personal vote for such a sacrifice, would definitely be soon-to-be ex-US Rep. Sean Patrick Baloney - the freaking chair of the freaking Democratic freaking Campaign freaking Committee.

Not just the NY debacle, he ultimately made the call to cut off funding to a bunch of seats that have been lost by razor thin margins.
  • Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Worth adding that not all Europhiles try to deny this. The Federal Union for example is very keen on the EU as a fully Federal state and pushes this aspect of the organisation with great candour and pride. I disagree with them but you could never accuse them of being misleading.
    Guy Verhofstadht lays it out in black and white.

I don't see why people can object to Brexit for the many of us who object to that.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The vociferous denial that Turkey was joining the EU, the week before the “EU/Turkey Summit on EU Accession”, was a good one too.
  • Scott_xP said:

It is amusing, but only because it is the Europhobes who deny it

"We voted for the common market, not the EU..."

Bollocks.
    Like Cookie down thread I have been opposed to the EEC/EU all my adult life. It didn't matter what you called it, the intent was always clear. In case you missed it, it is the Europhiles on here who are trying to deny something that is written in black and white and repeated at each new ittaration of the treaties.
    On the whole it looks like the Russian retreat across the Dnipro has gone okay, they've avoided a rout and they haven't seen lots of soldiers taken prisoner. However, somehow they've managed to leave behind a working helicopter, which you would think would be one of the easier things to evacuate.

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1591152733704556544
    Sandpit said:

The vociferous denial that Turkey was joining the EU, the week before the “EU/Turkey Summit on EU Accession”, was a good one too.

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
  • Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Not just the NY debacle, he ultimately made the call to cut off funding to a bunch of seats that have been lost by razor thin margins.
    DCCC allegedly exists to elect Democrats to US House of Represenatives.

Actual mission of Dee-Trip(e) is to enrich coterie of consultants, their cronies & sub-cronies.
    Confirmed in writing that there are 50k Clark ballots plus another 15k provisional/in need of curing.

The 50k is avout +12k to Masto.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393

@KariLake
    BOMBSHELL NEWS
    STAY TUNED 👀

Attractive, yes.

Bombshell, no.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    rcs1000 said:

@KariLake
    BOMBSHELL NEWS
    STAY TUNED 👀

The bombshell news going to be her claiming the election was rigged?
    Isn’t she more of an ex-bombshell ?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    rcs1000 said:

@KariLake
    BOMBSHELL NEWS
    STAY TUNED 👀

The bombshell news going to be her claiming the election was rigged?
    Have heard surprisingly little of that so far. I guess they save that for Presidentials.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,154
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Even had we voted Remain in due course we would have ended up on the outer edge with non Eurozone Sweden, Denmark and Poland and Hungary while the rest moved full steam ahead to federal union.

Yes, exactly (except fuller union of the core won't be anything like at 'full steam ahead', more like a snail's pace with long periods of stasis, if it ever happens at all). We'd have had the best of all possible positions: all the advantages of full EU membership, without the excessive bits. It is such an extraordinary tragedy that we, of our own volition, threw it away. As I predicted at the time, we'll spend at least a decade, perhaps longer, painfully trying to claw back some of the lost ground, but we'll never get back to such a favourable position as we had.
    And all of it easily avoided if the arrogant clueless europhiles had only given the British people a vote on earlier moments of integration - as they so often promised, yet failed to do

This constant fraudulence led inexorably to the fatal rupture of total Brexit. Consider this
    Yes, the EU as it was circa 2005 almost everybody could have lived with*. A halfway house, fine. Had Cameron tried that little bit harder to achieve such a thing, and to sell it he would have carried the day. Sadly, he thought all he had to was reject the Eurosceptics. Inasmuch as he thought about Euroscepticism, he thought it was confined to a fringe of his own party and an even smaller fringe of the far left. He thought that the country thought like Witney. But given Lisbon we had no way to trust that we wouldn't be dragged in further. Blair wanted to be at the heart of Europe, remember, and wanted to join the Euro. Why would we trust our political classes on Europe? So in a forced choice of wholly in or wholly out, out wins.

*Not me. I was a leaver long before it was unfashionable. But even I was a soft Brexiteer.
    Politicians and political movements are liable to human error, and there’s no doubt there was a body of received wisdom that completely missed the opinion outside the world of Witney (or London or Manchester or Scotland etc).

I also think there is a big chunk of received wisdom now which writes pro-Europeans out of history and assumes any anti-Brexit feeling is just an elite metro thing. I don’t think it is. The country doesn’t all think like Mansfield any more than it all thinks like Witney.

On the whole it looks like the Russian retreat across the Dnipro has gone okay, they've avoided a rout and they haven't seen lots of soldiers taken prisoner. However, somehow they've managed to leave behind a working helicopter, which you would think would be one of the easier things to evacuate.

Out of fuel?
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Remind me how that’s going ?
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
    They haven’t yet. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t the intention, unless the EU were being very rude to the Turkish by giving them the impression that they were joining.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Cameron worked very hard and was a good executive chair but was never a deep thinker.
    I think he was just a committed europhile. A more neutral PM on the issue could have combined a robust negotiation with some meaningful domestic changes to benefits etc., and come up with a respectable package that would have romped home in the referendum. He didn't want that - he thought the threat of leave would mean that he could force the UK population to swallow the whole hog. Every Euro thing they pushed through after that he'd have reminded anyone who opposed of the 'ringing British endorsement of the EU' etc. Silly and destructive.

Ratters said:

I wonder where Ukraine's next breakthrough attack will be? Kharkiv Oblast and Kherson west of the Dnipro river are now secure, which had been the focus for so long.

The length of the frontline seems to offer a few different options once the Ukraine army has regrouped from its latest victory.

The Ukrainians have still been pressing, and making marginal gains, on the Svatove-Kreminna front in northern Luhansk - so a continuation of the Kharkiv offensive.

Melitopol and then Mariupol would be the most symbolic target, and the sooner the remaining civilians in Mariupol are liberated the better the chance they have of surviving the winter. It would also create the opportunity to recapture control of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, which would make a big difference to the electricity supply situation. And ultimately it's the only way they would be able to dislodge the Russians from the other bank of the Dnipro, and push them out of artillery range of Kherson City.

A former commander of US forces in Europe has said that he expects Ukraine to retake all the territory lost to Russia since February 24th by the end of this year. That would require rapid advances in both those directions over the next seven weeks, which seems a bit unlikely to me, but he has more subject matter knowledge than I do.

Ratters said:

A former commander of US forces in Europe has said that he expects Ukraine to retake all the territory lost to Russia since February 24th by the end of this year. That would require
    rapid advances in both those directions over the next seven weeks, which seems a bit unlikely to me, but he has more subject matter knowledge than I do.
    There have got to be a lot of demoralised and disorganised troops on the East bank of the Dniepr at the moment. I’d have thought tactically it makes sense to Harry them mercilessly for as long as possible and try to push them further away from the river, before trying other new axes.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
    They haven’t yet. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t the intention, unless the EU were being very rude to the Turkish by giving them the impression that they were joining.
    Membership is not solely in the EU's gift - it requires a Treaty of Accession signed by each of the constituent countries of the EU.

Any member state could veto Turkey joining, and Cyprus has long said that it would.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

I think he was just a committed europhile. A more neutral PM on the issue could have combined a robust negotiation with some meaningful domestic changes to benefits etc., and come up with a respectable package that would have romped home in the referendum. He didn't want that - he thought the threat of leave would mean that he could force the UK population to swallow the whole hog. Every Euro thing they pushed through after that he'd have reminded anyone who opposed of the 'ringing British endorsement of the EU' etc. Silly and destructive.
    Exactly.

The idea that a Remain vote would have seen us a member of an "outer" group is risible - we would have been sucked into the inner core, with the Remain vote used as justification.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
    Membership is not solely in the EU's gift - it requires a Treaty of Accession signed by each of the constituent countries of the EU.

Any member state could veto Turkey joining, and Cyprus has long said that it would.
    Nonetheless, it's an inarguable fact that at the time of the referendum, Turkey were in the accession process.
  • TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Politicians and political movements are liable to human error, and there’s no doubt there was a body of received wisdom that completely missed the opinion outside the world of Witney (or London or Manchester or Scotland etc).

I also think there is a big chunk of received wisdom now which writes pro-Europeans out of history and assumes any anti-Brexit feeling is just an elite metro thing. I don’t think it is. The country doesn’t all think like Mansfield any more than it all thinks like Witney.
    Something that most of the Brexit side forgot the moment they had their win. We should have immediately started looking at ways to find a new relationship with Europe that satisfied the majority of the country not just the ones that voted Leave. The sadness is that the majority of the Tory party were too dumb to realise that they were supposed to lead for the whole country.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

Pagan2 said:

I don't want to cramp your style but if you want to get the approval of your fellow posters you should try to sharpen up your put-downs. Try a bit of humour? Have a word with Ishmael. He's very good at it and he doesn't end up sounding desperate
    edited November 2022
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
    The deliberate impression was made that the joining was imminent, when that was very obviously not true. I was a leaver at the time and it was clearly bullshit. Yes it is a candidate country, but that doesn't mean it was at all likely to happen anytime soon.
    kle4 said:

Out of fuel?
    Or out of pilots. The two most likely explanations.

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Something that most of the Brexit side forgot the moment they had their win. We should have immediately started looking at ways to find a new relationship with Europe that satisfied the majority of the country not just the ones that voted Leave. The sadness is that the majority of the Tory party were too dumb to realise that they were supposed to lead for the whole country.
    Wasn't possible in the face of a determined effort to overturn the referendum result.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
    Turkiye in the EU was a Cameron project to alter the balance of power away from France and Germany. He changed position and shit all over it from a great height in 2016. After that, it was dead and exhuming it probably suits neither party at the moment.
    Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...

Nonetheless, it's an inarguable fact that at the time of the referendum, Turkey were in the accession process.
    It was also inarguable that the British government could veto Turkish membership.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...

Oh indeed - but it was the juxtaposition of the vociferous denials, with the fact that formal discussions on accession were taking place.
    Sandpit said:

Doesn’t mean it wasn’t the intention, unless the EU were being very rude to the Turkish by giving them the impression that they were joining.

They were "joining" in the same way as "I am dating Keira Knightley"
    edited November 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Driver said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...

It was also inarguable that the British government could veto Turkish membership.
    And, as you know, almost anything "could" happen.

This particular thing wasn't likely as Cameron was a fan of Turkey joining...
  • Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Wasn't possible in the face of a determined effort to overturn the referendum result.
    All sides were equally guilty of trying to get their own extreme ways. Blaming the Eurofanatics in Parliament whilst excusing the ERG mob is very partial thinking.
    Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

The idea that a Remain vote would have seen us a member of an "outer" group is risible - we would have been sucked into the inner core, with the Remain vote used as justification.

The history of British engagement in the EU since the turn of the millennium says otherwise. Staying out of the Euro, exercising the veto, securing carve outs. The history of the EU itself isn’t much different either.

At most we might have had to give up a bit more rebate and agreed to QM voting. The federal superstate thing was always more of a figment of the imagination. Even after the Euro crisis and bailouts the EU is no more integrated now than it was in 2010.
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
    Turkiye in the EU was a Cameron project to alter the balance of power away from France and Germany. He changed position and shit all over it from a great height in 2016. After that, it was dead and exhuming it probably suits neither party at the moment.
    Oh indeed. I didn’t have a particular view on Turkey’s relationship with the EU - but I did know that Cameron was lying through his teeth.
    16 billion.

Fake blue tick wiped 16 billion off the market cap

https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1591150821110321152?t=lgyhh3b0K8EFOCVLUws-xw&s=19
    🍅 EXC: Dominic Raab has been accused of hurling tomatoes from a Pret salad across a room in the Ministry of Justice during a fit of rage https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/20402000/dominic-raab-accused-of-chucking-tomatoes/

🍅 An insider told The Sun: “Raab wasn't happy with the way he was being briefed. He began a tirade, opened his Pret salad and threw three tomatoes out into a bag across the table making a loud noise.”

🍅 The Deputy PM has tonight been nicknamed "rocket man". One former MoJ staff member said: “I just hope he can turn over a new leaf.”

A spokesman for the Deputy PM said it was “complete nonsense” he chucked around parts of his Pret salad in front of horrified officials.
    TimS said:

Ratters said:

A former commander of US forces in Europe has said that he expects Ukraine to retake all the territory lost to Russia since February 24th by the end of this year. That would require
    rapid advances in both those directions over the next seven weeks, which seems a bit unlikely to me, but he has more subject matter knowledge than I do.
    There have got to be a lot of demoralised and disorganised troops on the East bank of the Dniepr at the moment. I’d have thought tactically it makes sense to Harry them mercilessly for as long as possible and try to push them further away from the river, before trying other new axes.
    I would be surprised if there were not intense artillery duels across the river, but it's really pretty wide, and the Russians have gone to a lot of effort to fortify the opposite bank. I don't think it's worth the effort trying to cross it.
    Scott_xP said:

🍅 EXC: Dominic Raab has been accused of hurling tomatoes from a Pret salad across a room in the Ministry of Justice during a fit of rage https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/20402000/dominic-raab-accused-of-chucking-tomatoes/

🍅 An insider told The Sun: “Raab wasn't happy with the way he was being briefed. He began a tirade, opened his Pret salad and threw three tomatoes out into a bag across the table making a loud noise.”

🍅 The Deputy PM has tonight been nicknamed "rocket man". One former MoJ staff member said: “I just hope he can turn over a new leaf.”

A spokesman for the Deputy PM said it was “complete nonsense” he chucked around parts of his Pret salad in front of horrified officials.

That's a very specific denial.
    Scott_xP said:

Yes, and Brown never threw a stapler.

What is it with how petty some of these top MPs are, engaging in adolescent fits of pique and unprofessionalism that we are supposed to excuse on the basis of their being MPs? Next we'll get the 'grown men and women cannot be bullied' excuses like Bercow defenders.
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

When did they join?

Oh, wait...
    It may come back into fashion as part of Turkey's current embrace to the bossom of the West.

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

All sides were equally guilty of trying to get their own extreme ways. Blaming the Eurofanatics in Parliament whilst excusing the ERG mob is very partial thinking.
    True, but I'm talking about moderate Leavers who were firced to accept a harder Brexit than they might have liked because there was nobody on the other side to work with in the crucial weeks immediately after the vote.
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, and Brown never threw a stapler.

What is it with how petty some of these top MPs are, engaging in adolescent fits of pique and unprofessionalism that we are supposed to excuse on the basis of their being MPs? Next we'll get the 'grown men and women cannot be bullied' excuses like Bercow defenders.
    I hate tomatoes in my salad too, so I do have some sympathy. How do they sneak into everything? Sandwiches never mention them on a menu, but when it arrives it's full of the slimy buggers.
    TimS said:

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

The history of British engagement in the EU since the turn of the millennium says otherwise. Staying out of the Euro, exercising the veto, securing carve outs. The history of the EU itself isn’t much different either.

At most we might have had to give up a bit more rebate and agreed to QM voting. The federal superstate thing was always more of a figment of the imagination. Even after the Euro crisis and bailouts the EU is no more integrated now than it was in 2010.
    It’s rather telling that the referendum winners are still trying to define what happened in the past. If Brexit were a success, why would it matter ?

TimS said:

Ratters said:

I would be surprised if there were not intense artillery duels across the river, but it's really pretty wide, and the Russians have gone to a lot of effort to fortify the opposite bank. I don't think it's worth the effort trying to cross it.
    They’re already across further North, so I was thinking of movement Southwards from there.
    TimS said:

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

A very rose-tinted view of the situation. Not falsifiable - but also doesn't take into consideration the principle of the ratchet.
    edited November 2022
    Driver said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

True, but I'm talking about moderate Leavers who were firced to accept a harder Brexit than they might have liked because there was nobody on the other side to work with in the crucial weeks immediately after the vote.
    I think May is as much to blame as anyone. Her Lancaster House speech back in early 2017 created a whole list of red lines that were incompatible with any reasonable compromise with the remainers, and guaranteed a problematic position in NI. That and triggering article 50 before she needed to.
    rcs1000 said:

I don't think the fault lies in a single place.

You're wrong.

The fault for everything Brexit related lies with those who wanted it, advocated it, campaigned for it and voted for it.
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

It was actually someone else's Pret salad?
  • kinabalu said:

Leon said:

This is a classic example of the opinions are like arseholes genre.

Stick to the betting.
    Thank goodness you have resiled from ever giving an opinion,
    For those whose kids grew up with Pokémon …

Pokemon's Ash Ketchum wins world championship
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63599287

I’m strangely affected by this news.
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

A very rose-tinted view of the situation. Not falsifiable - but also doesn't take into consideration the principle of the ratchet.
    But there’s no evidence as far as I can see for any of that before or since. Countries like Denmark for instance are broadly as integrated as they were 15 years ago.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited November 2022
    Congratulations to Ukraine.

The battle for Kherson, I recon, will go down as a key moment in Ukrainian history for generations to come.

Perhaps it’s the point that the rumbling ambiguity over Ukraines independent status was finally resolved?

The early 90’s referendum didn’t do it. The orange revolution didn’t do it. It required symbolic - and actual - military defeat of Russia.

And that’s happening right now.

A big moment.

TimS said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

I think May is as much to blame as anyone. Her Lancaster House speech back in early 2017 created a whole list of red lines that were incompatible with any reasonable compromise with the remainers, and guaranteed a problematic position in NI. That and triggering article 50 before she needed to.
    True enough, but by the time of Lancaster House, the FBPEers had made clear that compromise was impossible.
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

You're wrong.

The fault for everything Brexit related lies with those who wanted it, advocated it, campaigned for it and voted for it.
    Neatly exonerating your side for being fucking shit before the referendum and fucking shits after it.
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

He was a bloody awful pokemon trainer. But fair play to slogging it out and getting there in the end.

And some of us were spotty pre-teens growing up with Pokemon, thank you very much.
  • Driver said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

The challenge for anyone writing an alternate history of 2016-19 leading to a softer Brexit is getting it past the ERG wing of the Conservative Party.

One of the reasons that the years after 2016 were so painful is that there was a double lock to open. Any Brexit deal had to have a majority in the Commons and a (separate) majority in the Conservative Party. The first was needed to get the thing through Parliament, the second was needed to stop the PM being VONCed by their own party.

Maybe there was an arrangement that could do that. But I'm not sure what. But anything EEA-like certainly wasn't that arrangement. (Go on, imagine a lineup of the people in Vote Leave and Leave.EU. How many of them went to all that trouble to stay in the single market?)
    TimS said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

But there’s no evidence as far as I can see for any of that before or since. Countries like Denmark for instance are broadly as integrated as they were 15 years ago.
    No country ever tried to leave. If you think the raging federalists that run the EU would have risked us having a second try, you're beyond optimistic.
    Driver said:

Neatly exonerating your side

Exactly

Not my circus, not my monkeys...
    edited November 2022

Driver said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

The challenge for anyone writing an alternate history of 2016-19 leading to a softer Brexit is getting it past the ERG wing of the Conservative Party.

One of the reasons that the years after 2016 were so painful is that there was a double lock to open. Any Brexit deal had to have a majority in the Commons and a (separate) majority in the Conservative Party. The first was needed to get the thing through Parliament, the second was needed to stop the PM being VONCed by their own party.

Maybe there was an arrangement that could do that. But I'm not sure what. But anything EEA-like certainly wasn't that arrangement. (Go on, imagine a lineup of the people in Vote Leave and Leave.EU. How many of them went to all that trouble to stay in the single market?)
    Oh, that's quite easy. You just have to understand that at the point of the referendum, the ERG wing of the parliamentary Conservative party was a minority.

As for the single market: Cameron should have put it on the ballot paper.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    edited November 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Raab is, after all, a proven lawyer.

It does seem to be "stories about Raab" day;

5 years ago at a do with civil servants was told by someone in his private office that there was a secret contest so see who could smuggle the most a's into his name in official docs

The (then) winner had managed Raaaaab

https://twitter.com/gordonguthrie/status/1591108248371093505

May not be true, but it's blooming funny.
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

True enough, but by the time of Lancaster House, the FBPEers had made clear that compromise was impossible.
    “FBPErs” were by no means a significant faction in parliament at the time - limited essentially to the Lib Dems, SNP and a few labour backbenchers. Even those were mostly cowed and dared not admit they supported remaining for the first few months. Even the likes of Chukka Umunna. And we had a Corbyn Labour front bench avowedly in favour of pressing in with Brexit, plus a comfortable conservative majority. Back then even the ERG were fairly on board and not yet creating too much trouble.

May created the parliamentary impasse to
    follow with her Ill judged election.
    Scott_xP said:

Driver said:

Neatly exonerating your side

Exactly

Not my circus, not my monkeys...
    Your hands are as clean as Pilate's.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Ishmael_Z said:

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch

feels a bit perfunctory this year too.

All cried out after HMQ? Got a real time war to focus on this year?

A very poor #rememberancing this year. Not enough #respect for our #fallen who fought for our #freedom. Why don't you all just join ISIS?

There has been a few flashes of truly top notch mawkish nationalism though.

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

He was a bloody awful pokemon trainer. But fair play to slogging it out and getting there in the end.

And some of us were spotty pre-teens growing up with Pokemon, thank you very much.
    My youngest learned to read from the captions on the earliest Gameboy games.
    TimS said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

“FBPErs” were by no means a significant faction in parliament at the time - limited essentially to the Lib Dems, SNP and a few labour backbenchers. Even those were mostly cowed and dared not admit they supported remaining for the first few months. Even the likes of Chukka Umunna. And we had a Corbyn Labour front bench avowedly in favour of pressing in with Brexit, plus a comfortable conservative majority. Back then even the ERG were fairly on board and not yet creating too much trouble.

In the Commons, perhaps. Not in the country.
    i weekend: Sunak delays growth plan as UK heads for recession #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1591172995325853727/photo/1
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    edited November 2022
    We were never happy members of the EU. So, that's why we left it. There's no point in being a sullen, resentful, unhappy member of a club. We didn't like being part of it, and they didn't like having an unhappy resentful member.

Most people here who complain about leaving the EU, were complaining about the EU, prior to 2016.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited November 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A very poor #rememberancing this year. Not enough #respect for our #fallen who fought for our #freedom. Why don't you all just join ISIS?

Mawkish? Pfff. That idea - with the cake - is well executed.

Clever.
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

No country ever tried to leave. If you think the raging federalists that run the EU would have risked us having a second try, you're beyond optimistic.
    If we’d voted remain we wouldn’t have “tried to leave” any more than Scotland tried to leave in 2015. HYUFD may fantasise about tanks up the A1 but Scotland’s constitutional status is pretty much the same now as before the Indy ref. Likewise Britain’s status in the EU would be the same as before 2016.

The people who “run the EU” - evident to anyone who looks at things like Ukraine or tax policy - are the leaders of the member states.
    Lesson learned: docnot go on Twitter and criticise Trafalgar.

Nate Silver fan boys do not take it well.

I've literally got one saying it doesn't matter if its fraudulent the numbers are good!
  • Driver said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

You're wrong.

Neatly exonerating your side for being fucking shit before the referendum and fucking shits after it.
    "He was deceived by a lie. We all were!"
    edited November 2022
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

In the Commons, perhaps. Not in the country.
    And therefore irrelevant and ignored, as all Brexit policy since 2016 testifies. One faction of British life that’s had zero influence on government in the last few years is the “FBPErs”. This is like “our enemies are weak, and strong”.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Ratters said:

They’re already across further North, so I was thinking of movement Southwards from there.
    On the Melitopol / Mariupol axis, the front line seems to have been static for months along a straightish line between the point where the Dnieper turns sharply westwards between Zaporzhizhia and Enerhodar at one end and west of Donetsk at the other.

Those maps now seem to be showing the slightest smidge of a couple of bows south on that line and the merest hint of lilac re-taken territory, Here's hoping.
    ping said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Mawkish? Pfff. That idea - with the cake - is well executed.

Clever.
    Yes, it shows some originality and effort as well. A far cry from the truly funny displays.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited November 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A post mortem poppyphile isn’t bad.

Scott_xP said:

i weekend: Sunak delays growth plan as UK heads for recession #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1591172995325853727/photo/1

Wow.
    Sean_F said:

We were never happy members of the EU. So, that's why we left it.

That's bollocks as well.

We were generally quite happy members. Most people were quite happy. Most people would still be happy to be members.

The vote was narrowly won when the swivel eyed loons and xenophobes clubbed together to give the Government a kicking.

Most people think leaving was a bad idea...
    Alistair said:

Lesson learned: docnot go on Twitter and criticise Trafalgar.

Nate Silver fan boys do not take it well.

I've literally got one saying it doesn't matter if its fraudulent the numbers are good!

I recall someone on here saying something similar about them(or some other similar 'pollster') in 2018 supposedly being pretty spot on even if they were not actually polling and were only close by power of a random guess.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,239
    TimS said:

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

Rancid tosh

They have Federalised and shared some of their debt, for a start, to fund Covid revival. One of the most explicit steps imaginable towards a Federal Union

Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A post mortem poppyphile isn’t bad.

See, now this one is more like it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    TimS said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Driver said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Exactly.

If we’d voted remain we wouldn’t have “tried to leave” any more than Scotland tried to leave in 2015. HYUFD may fantasise about tanks up the A1 but Scotland’s constitutional status is pretty much the same now as before the Indy ref. Likewise Britain’s status in the EU would be the same as before 2016.

The people who “run the EU” - evident to anyone who looks at things like Ukraine or tax policy - are the leaders of the member states.
    Tell that to Greece where Brussels and Berlin effectively dictated terms to it.

However yes we probably would have stayed in the EU outer core while the inner core pushed further towards an EU superstate
    Sean_F said:

We were never happy members of the EU. So, that's why we left it. There's no point in being a sullen, resentful, unhappy member of a club. We didn't like being part of it, and they didn't like having an unhappy resentful member.

Most people here who complain about leaving the EU, were complaining about the EU, prior to 2016.

Not sure that’s true. Plenty of people were prett happy with the EU overall and appreciated the freedoms it brought.

That’s not to say people didn’t complain (though I generally didn’t, I was at the more federalist enthusiast end). But complaining about the EU is different from complaining about being in the EU. Just like complaining about the state of Britain or the government is
    different from complaining about being part of Britain - see London and Londoners, plenty of moaning but no secessionist movement.
    Scott_xP said:

Sean_F said:

We were never happy members of the EU. So, that's why we left it.

That's bollocks as well.

We were generally quite happy members. Most people were quite happy. Most people would still be happy to be members.

The vote was narrowly won when the swivel eyed loons and xenophobes clubbed together to give the Government a kicking.

Most people think leaving was a bad idea...
    We were so happy that eurosceptic parties won every set of euro elections from 1999 onwards.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Surprising that Arizona hasn't been called. Democrats more than 5% ahead with 80% counted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2022/us/results
    Judge slaps sanctions on Trump lawyers for ‘frivolous’ Clinton lawsuit
    The judge said Trump’s lawyers pressed on with claims that were farcical or false, even after being put on notice that they were erroneous.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/10/trump-lawyers-clinton-lawsuit-00066381
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    TimS said:

Sean_F said:

Not sure that’s true. Plenty of people were prett happy with the EU overall and appreciated the freedoms it brought.

That’s not to say people didn’t complain (though I generally didn’t, I was at the more federalist enthusiast end). But complaining about the EU is different from complaining about being in the EU. Just like complaining about the state of Britain or the government is
    different from complaining about being part of Britain - see London and Londoners, plenty of moaning but no secessionist movement.
    Agree. I was a pretty happy member of the EU. Doesn't mean I thought it was perfect. It wasn't. Similarly I am a member of several organisations. Don't think any of them are perfect, but agree with enough of their objectives to be a member.
    edited November 2022
    TimS said:

Sean_F said:

I think that's rewriting history. Staunchly pro-EU parties were performing dismally, in European elections, from 1999 onwards.

The argument by pro-EU people prior to 2016 was that "nobody cares". Not that people think EU membership is a good thing.
    Andy_JS said:

Surprising that Arizona hasn't been called. Democrats more than 5% ahead with 80% counted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2022/us/results

I would call it but and various pundits have but in the networks defence 5% deficit with 20% to go is not outside the bounds of possibility. I expect they will call it if it is still 5% at 15% to go.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

If this war ends soon (God willing) what are relations going to be like between Russia and Ukraine?

Hateful, I imagine. Ukrainians will HATE Russia and Russians for decades, maybe generations. So another byproduct of Putin's Crazy War has been to turn a neighbouring country with often warm, fraternal feelings towards Russia into a sworn enemy, of 40 million people, who will loathe Russia with every atom

Genius

Decades, generations, or maybe just a couple of years. Look at Germany, France and the low countries after the war. We humans have a remarkable capacity to get over dreadful experiences.
    Yes, indeed, but as I have argued before, it was much easier to forgive Germany because Germany was utterly vanquished, its cities laid to waste, its regime brutally toppled, its women raped by the Red Army, and its people left starving (those that didn't die in firestorms). It is easier to forgive an enemy that has been bludgeoned into total submission

Post-war Russia will not be like that. Russia will seem largely untouched, even as Ukraine has to rebuild half of its cities and all of its infrastructure. So the hateful resentment will, I suggest, fester and ferment
    You might ask the Dutch if they forgave Germany easily and quickly.
    After the IRA started targeting British forces and families in Germany in the early 80s, the MOD advised all British families to switch their numberplates from British to German to make it more difficult for them to be identified.

One interesting side effect of this was that after the switch, when the British drove their cars over the border into the Netherlands at the weekend, they would come back to find they had been keyed or smashed up. It never happened to their cars when they had British plates.

The Dutch did not quickly or easily forget or forgive the Germans.
    In the summer after Heysel my Dad had a holiday booked for us to drive down from where he was based in Germany to Italy. We did it as planned in his car with the BFG black with white type plates. While we were staying in Ventimiglia the car windows got smashed
This discussion has been closed.