Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How Murdoch’s New York Post is covering the MidTerms – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Eagles slagging him off pissed me off yesterday.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Russia's retreat in Kherson is a disaster for the Ukrainians:

It's addictive reading these accounts isn't it? Another wave of self locking their accounts at this news.
    I still think there’s something not quite right about Kherson.

Fingers crossed I’m wrong, and it was a simple case of the enemy being starved out by cutting the supply lines over the Deniper bridges.
    It seems that the Ukrainians share your view and are being very cautious about entry into the pocket.

I’m still betting on the Russians blowing the dam. It was what they tried in 1941. Didn’t help then, but just killed a lot of people. But the Russians seem to like stupid, so…

EDIT: I think the Russians have genuinely run out military capability. It’s more about what kind of trap, if any, they are trying to leave behind.
    Yeah, the dam is a worry, as is what looks on the surface like a withdrawal, but is actually leaving thousands of well-armed soldiers holed up in civilian buildings.

Or maybe it is just like the withdrawal from Kiev, they are exhausted and can’t get supplies, so have to move back.

One can see why the Ukranians are nervous though, to see such a strategic location given up with apparently little fuss.
    I won't be entirely surprised if it turns out that here has been a deal brokered here; leave Kherson and Ukraine will let your soldiers depart; stay and HIMARS etc. WILL destroy them. Perhaps Turkey or Saudi in the background. That meeting of the Russian top brass (absent Putin) did look to me remarkably stage managed - pieces being moved on the board to a pre-determined sequence

If so, do other parts of that sequence include Ukraine giving up on any ambitions to return Crimea? Getting Russian troops back over to the left bank of the river is only a partial success if Russian artillery can still flatten the place. Putting the defences in on the Crimea side suggests maybe that is some agreed position for an armistice - on this front at least.
    This all comes just a few days after the toning down of the Russian nuclear rhetoric, the statement from China, the news of back-channel communications between US and Russia, and the "I Can't Believe It's Not Pressure" on Ukraine to be open to negotiations, and agree to go to the G20 with Russia present.

It's possible to construct a narrative where Russia has won US support for negotiations as a result of using its nuclear leverage, and the withdrawal from the right bank is another step towards compromise.

I think it would be very hard for Ukraine to agree to territorial concessions, but if they're only de facto, rather than de jure, and accompanied with strong economic and military support, then a ceasefire could be in the offing.

There are lots of signs that the US is still reluctant to provide the level of equipment support that would enable a near-term Ukrainian victory, which is regrettable in my view, but could be where this is going.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

On NI Brexit arrangements, Chris Heaton-Harris says those who created it didn't foresee what it would mean.

"When [the Protocol] was written I don't think the people behind writing it knew the ramifications it would have...when the rubber hit the road", he tells @SkyNews

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1590603830118715392

If everyone continually moaning about this, instead expended their energies on finding a workable solution…
    It looks as if a deal with the EU is not far away and that would be a nightmare for @Scott_xP as it would remove a big source of angst over Brexit

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Unfortunately Boebert has closed the gap and I suspect hangs on.

Probably not a bad thing for the Democrats if Boebert survives. You need some swivel-eyed loons remaining to scare the horses ahead of 2024....
    The Democrat is still 66 votes ahead with 99% reporting - you never know. Just absentee and military votes left to count
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited November 2022

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

It's addictive reading these accounts isn't it? Another wave of self locking their accounts at this news.

Fingers crossed I’m wrong, and it was a simple case of the enemy being starved out by cutting the supply lines over the Deniper bridges.
    It seems that the Ukrainians share your view and are being very cautious about entry into the pocket.

I’m still betting on the Russians blowing the dam. It was what they tried in 1941. Didn’t help then, but just killed a lot of people. But the Russians seem to like stupid, so…

EDIT: I think the Russians have genuinely run out military capability. It’s more about what kind of trap, if any, they are trying to leave behind.
    Yeah, the dam is a worry, as is what looks on the surface like a withdrawal, but is actually leaving thousands of well-armed soldiers holed up in civilian buildings.

Or maybe it is just like the withdrawal from Kiev, they are exhausted and can’t get supplies, so have to move back.

One can see why the Ukranians are nervous though, to see such a strategic location given up with apparently little fuss.
    I won't be entirely surprised if it turns out that here has been a deal brokered here; leave Kherson and Ukraine will let your soldiers depart; stay and HIMARS etc. WILL destroy them. Perhaps Turkey or Saudi in the background. That meeting of the Russian top brass (absent Putin) did look to me remarkably stage managed - pieces being moved on the board to a pre-determined sequence

If so, do other parts of that sequence include Ukraine giving up on any ambitions to return Crimea? Getting Russian troops back over to the left bank of the river is only a partial success if Russian artillery can still flatten the place. Putting the defences in on the Crimea side suggests maybe that is some agreed position for an armistice - on this front at least.
    The problem with the artillery trap thesis is that the Ukrainians are now the ones with the modern, really long range and accurate systems. Such as HIMARS.

The Ukrainians didn't want to destroy Kherson, but take it, so they systematically reduced the supply capability to the Russian forces. What is happening now is the result of this.

I don't think there was any deal - just making it increasingly clear to the Russians that they couldn't hold the far bank.
    As pointed out here many times, Russia's tried and tested method of conducting warfare relies on superior range of their artillery. HIMARS has destroyed that advantage. (Although, if Russia had a semblance of a functioning air force in theatre, that HIMARS presence would be at far greater risk.)

But Russia can still shoot and scoot from well behind the left bank - and level Kherson, at little risk to themselves in the process. There is no precision required; just lob in a shell, pull back and see what they destroy over time. If Kherson remains largely intact, to me that would suggest a deal has been done.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Republican majority in the Senate now as long as 9 on BX

If Dems win both Arizona and Nevad which they are very short odds to do Georgia loses its pivotal status.

Although by the speed of the NV count and the likleyhood of a possible recount GA may declare before NV!!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

Probably not a bad thing for the Democrats if Boebert survives. You need some swivel-eyed loons remaining to scare the horses ahead of 2024....
    The Democrat is still 66 votes ahead with 99% reporting - you never know. Just absentee and military votes left to count
    No - there are 2,000 votes still to count in a County where everyone was sent home for some sleep - and it's a Republican leaning County.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Alistair said:

MikeL said:

Worth noting that Laxalt has won many rural Counties (so far) by huge amounts (several with leads in the 40% to 60% range).

Just like Trump did.

5-of-17 by over 60%
    3 by over 50%
    3 by over 40%
    2 by over 30% ( this is a lie 1 of those was won by 29.47)

The key thing is how many votes are left in every place. If there are lots of rural votes left it is great for Laxalt - hew "won" yesterdays count in Nye 76/19 (Nye incidentally is the country that wanted to hand count every ballot because of election conpsiracies)
    Ralston, as ever, is your go-to for Nevada:

"Here's what we know on the Nevada Senate race, if we assume the rurals are all but spent, will only add a couple thousand at most to Laxalt's lead:

If CCM continues to win urban mail at current clip, taking 65%, she will easily overtake Laxalt with 110,000 mail (at least) left."

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1590595387005337600?s=20&t=wM5M2wlaBhQ7AsK1AhzPig
  • Options

Now 10.5 on Betfair
  • Options

If Dems win both Arizona and Nevad which they are very short odds to do Georgia loses its pivotal status.

Although by the speed of the NV count and the likleyhood of a possible recount GA may declare before NV!!
    Nevada’s counting regimen is a total shambles. They have long breaks every two hours as far as I can work out!

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem with the artillery trap thesis is that the Ukrainians are now the ones with the modern, really long range and accurate systems. Such as HIMARS.

The Ukrainians didn't want to destroy Kherson, but take it, so they systematically reduced the supply capability to the Russian forces. What is happening now is the result of this.

I don't think there was any deal - just making it increasingly clear to the Russians that they couldn't hold the far bank.
    As pointed out here many times, Russia's tried and tested method of conducting warfare relies on superior range of their artillery. HIMARS has destroyed that advantage. (Although, if Russia had a semblance of a functioning air force in theatre, that HIMARS presence would be at far greater risk.)

But Russia can still shoot and scoot from well behind the left bank - and level Kherson, at little risk to themselves in the process. There is no precision required; just lob in a shell, pull back and see what they destroy over time. If Kherson remains largely intact, to me that would suggest a deal has been done.
    The Russians seem to be unable to do shoot and scoot - lots of videos of their artillery in action. They seem to be in the "Setup a battery with a tea tent" mode. Which is extraordinary in it's own way.

The supply problems are still, to an extent, present on the other bank.

Incidentally, found an elevation map for Kherson -

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,166

Well they have "The Squad" so they have their own version of swivel eyed loons.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

If Russia wants to lob bombs at Kherson over the river, then they’ll find that Ukraine can lob HIMARS - much more accurate, and longer range - back at them in the other direction.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

Don, I can think of a worse decision Melania has made.

[Donald Trump] was said to be “livid” with advisers after candidates he had endorsed struggled to win. He is understood to be incensed by the choice of the celebrity TV doctor Mehmet Oz as the candidate in Pennsylvania’s Senate race, where the Republicans were defending the seat. Oz lost to the Democrat John Fetterman. Trump is said to have blamed several close associates, including his wife, Melania, for the endorsement. The New York Times reported that a “furious” Trump described his wife’s backing of Oz as “not her best decision”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-midterms-2022-trump-biden-republicans-democrats-latest-news-7thn56qxb

She traded security and money for beauty and youth.

It’s not a trade that you or I might have made* but it’s logical given her background

* or have had the opportunity to do…

• Options
    Taz said:

Well they have "The Squad" so they have their own version of swivel eyed loons.
    AOC is better characterised as a twinkle-eyed radical!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Give him credit thought - he’s a master of his craft
  • Options

Nevada’s counting regimen is a total shambles. They have long breaks every two hours as far as I can work out!

Clark have estimated Thursday 16th November till they finish and will only give once a day updates expecting to process up to 15,000 per day
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

FTX rumoured to have an $8bn hole in its balance sheet, Binance takeover is off. Bitcoin down 10% more yesterday.

Good luck to anyone trying to get cash out of an FTX account.

Meanwhile, Amazon becomes the first company to ever lose $1trn of stock value. It was worth $1.8trn in June, now worth only $800bn.

The same FTX who were recently tweeting (now deleted) about their rather plush new offices in Miami no less.

I don’t invest in Crypto. I don’t really know a great deal about it. But what I do see really makes glad I have never touched it.
    I work in IT, and understand the technology. And wouldn’t touch the investment side of it with a barge pole.

Someone on another forum, described the crypto industry as speed-running through the last 150 years of financial regulation, having learned none of the lessons the rest of us did.

For me personally, it became obvious to avoid when everyone trying to sell crypto had been selling timeshares in Majorca previously.
    Crypto smells like Dutch Tulips.

As somebody who works in financial services multi-jurisdictional law and regulatory affairs, if you wanted to design the perfect ponzi scheme-cum-money laundering scam it would look a lot like crypto.

It's nearly as scandalous as Football Index.
    At least the Dutch tulips would smell nice. ;) Deregulated finance, not so much.

Football Index was hillarious, as was MoviePass.
    Football Index really wasn't, The Athletic did a lot of pieces of it, the victims of it were some of the most vulnerable in society, the regulators let them down.

There was one chap who invested his entire life savings and pension into it, poor chap is now 70 and will have to work until he dies.
    Yeah, that’s pretty sh!t. I read this morning that some Canadian teachers’ pension fund is massively exposed to FTX, there’s a bunch of fund managers going to get their arses sued for stuff like that.
    Presumably Teachers? While the individuals may (rightly) be sacked the funds themselves are very well capitalised

Edit: just checked. It was Teachers. They probably invested $50-75m … in the context of their $425bn AUM it’s embarrassing but not a disaster.
  • Options

The new person doesn't start work until next year, no need to disturb anybody's work-life balance.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

The Russians seem to be unable to do shoot and scoot - lots of videos of their artillery in action. They seem to be in the "Setup a battery with a tea tent" mode. Which is extraordinary in it's own way.

Indeed. If Russia retreats to the west bank, not much point in them blowing up the dam....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    Lord Wolfson: tells BBC that UK should allow more foreigners to come to the UK to fill vacancies. "In respect of immigration, it’s definitely not the Brexit that I wanted, or indeed, many of people who voted Brexit, but more importantly, the vast majority of the country,” he said

"You have to remember, you know, we're all stuck in this Brexit argument. You have to remember that what post Brexit Britain looks like is not the reserve of those people who voted Brexit. It's the it's for all of us to decide."

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1590627374261211141

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

‘Hard Brexit is good for us says retail king, Lord Wolfson’

‘’Next boss Lord Wolfson says UK needs more foreign workers’
    -Today
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Where is the at risk dam on that map please
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. If Russia retreats to the west bank, not much point in them blowing up the dam....
    Yes, that would be stupid and predictably self harming. Which is exactly in Putin's wheelhouse.

Plus they did it in 1941. USSR STONK!
  • Options
    edited November 2022

The new person doesn't start work until next year, no need to disturb anybody's work-life balance.
    Surely Nevada, of all places, should understand that there’s a lot of people betting on these results?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

"On it..."

How the Republican Party views women.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cynicalzoomer/status/1590502986190839808
    Jesse claims "Democrat policies are designed to keep women single."

"We need these ladies to get married. And it's time to fall in love and just settle down. Guys, go put a ring on it."

A reference to the popular singer Beyonce , M'lud.

https://youtu.be/4m1EFMoRFvY
    Glib.
    In the context, it's pretty hard to argue the use of metonomy serves the same purpose.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

MikeL said:

Worth noting that Laxalt has won many rural Counties (so far) by huge amounts (several with leads in the 40% to 60% range).

Just like Trump did.

5-of-17 by over 60%
    3 by over 50%
    3 by over 40%
    2 by over 30% ( this is a lie 1 of those was won by 29.47)

The key thing is how many votes are left in every place. If there are lots of rural votes left it is great for Laxalt - hew "won" yesterdays count in Nye 76/19 (Nye incidentally is the country that wanted to hand count every ballot because of election conpsiracies)
    Ralston, as ever, is your go-to for Nevada:

"Here's what we know on the Nevada Senate race, if we assume the rurals are all but spent, will only add a couple thousand at most to Laxalt's lead:

If CCM continues to win urban mail at current clip, taking 65%, she will easily overtake Laxalt with 110,000 mail (at least) left."

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1590595387005337600?s=20&t=wM5M2wlaBhQ7AsK1AhzPig
    This feels very Pennsylvania 2020 should be 1.01 situation to me but I do not feel i have a trustworthy source of outstanding ballots were as with Penn we knew for evlach county how many ballots were left and so could do accurate estimations.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Apparently Tom Brady has lost a lot of money in crypto. Why super-rich people get caught up in this sort of thing amazes me.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Lord Wolfson: tells BBC that UK should allow more foreigners to come to the UK to fill vacancies. "In respect of immigration, it’s definitely not the Brexit that I wanted, or indeed, many of people who voted Brexit, but more importantly, the vast majority of the country,” he said

"You have to remember, you know, we're all stuck in this Brexit argument. You have to remember that what post Brexit Britain looks like is not the reserve of those people who voted Brexit. It's the it's for all of us to decide."

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

Those two positions are in no way incompatible. I may disagree with him about hard Brexit but it does not for a minute mean you do not need, nor will not promote, more foreign workers. As always your logic circuits fail when it comes to Brexit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Where is the at risk dam on that map please
    It's further upstream. See:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nova+Kakhovka,+Kherson+Oblast,+Ukraine,+74900/@46.6903697,32.9413724,11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x40c38ffaf953e55b:0xe7dd49fae35d59f8!8m2!3d46.7515251!4d33.3678207
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178
    Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

You can still have hard Brexit while controlling your borders and giving as many work visas to overseas workers as you want. Workforce planning. The NHS needs more overseas staff. I think hospitality does too. Make it happen.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Surely Nevada, of all places, should understand that there’s a lot of people betting on these results?
    Of course and the longer they take to count the votes the longer people can spend betting on them.
  • Options

Clark have estimated Thursday 16th November till they finish and will only give once a day updates expecting to process up to 15,000 per day
    It’s beyond pathetic. Aren’t they embarrassed that other states - entire countries - count in a fraction of that time?

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Apparently Tom Brady has lost a lot of money in crypto. Why super-rich people get caught up in this sort of thing amazes me.

Greed, as always.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Which dam is it feared the Russians may blow, Kakhovka or the Dnieper dam at Zaporizhzhia?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Which dam is it feared the Russians may blow, Kakhovka or the Dnieper dam at Zaporizhzhia?
    The worry is Kakhovka Dam, to the NE of Kherson.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Kakhovka, I believe
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

The Kakhovka dam is the one most frequently mentioned.
  • Options
    BTW is anyone else following the war on Google Maps and finding all these cool little shops and cafes they want to visit once they've sorted everything out?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

There were some pretty clear indications that the Russians were committing perfidy.

(Leaving troops behind in civilian clothes to attack unsuspecting Ukrainians when they move in to liberate the city)
  • Options
    Completely OT.

What sort of utter scumbag boos a child singer during an aria at Covent Garden? Glad to see he has been banned.

https://www.classicfm.com/artists/royal-opera-house/audience-member-banned-booing-child-singer/
  • Options

BTW is anyone else following the war on Google Maps and finding all these cool little shops and cafes they want to visit once they've sorted everything out?

I did find a burger joint in Kyiv that looked worth a visit.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited November 2022

tlg86 said:

Greed, as always.
    Strong disagree. Naivete, vulnerability to predators and a fundamentally different attitude to large sums of money to most of us. Him thinking he can become a billionaire in crypto is a lot more realistic than me thinking I can make 650m as a quarterback. NFX looks a lot sexier and more glam than sticking the lot in vwrl.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

You can still have hard Brexit while controlling your borders and giving as many work visas to overseas workers as you want. Workforce planning. The NHS needs more overseas staff. I think hospitality does too. Make it happen.
    You can do that, maybe the country should do that.

But a Brexit vision that didn't reduce immigration wouldn't have won in 2016, would it?

Reagan's adage about dancing with the one who brung ya springs to mind.
  • Options
    The amazing thing about the get crypto crash is that only 400 million Tethers have been redeemed out of 69 billion or so.

Just astonishing.

Fanciful even. Made up.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

"On it..."

"We need these ladies to get married. And it's time to fall in love and just settle down. Guys, go put a ring on it."

A reference to the Beyoncé song?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The amazing thing about the get crypto crash is that only 400 million Tethers have been redeemed out of 69 billion or so.

Just astonishing.

Fanciful even. Made up.

The thing I would least have predicted about the current state of crypto exchanges is that BitFinex/Tether is somehow still standing.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

tlg86 said:

Greed, as always.
    Strong disagree. Naivete, vulnerability to predators and a fundamentally different attitude to large sums of money to most of us. Him thinking he can become a billionaire in crypto is a lot more realistic than me thinking I can make 650m as a quarterback. NFX looks a lot sexier and more glam than sticking the lot in vwrl.
    How about greed AND naivete?
  • Options

Completely OT.

What sort of utter scumbag boos a child singer during an aria at Covent Garden? Glad to see he has been banned.

https://www.classicfm.com/artists/royal-opera-house/audience-member-banned-booing-child-singer/

Bloody awful. And no doubt the singing (which by all accounts was superb) was not what the scumbag was booing.
  • Options
    Another embarrassing over by Jordan

For TSE
  • Options
    Good point well made

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590455595970461696

Twitter is so fucked.

Maybe this time the US government will make Musk give them money rather than the other way around.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Just astonishing.

Fanciful even. Made up.

The thing I would least have predicted about the current state of crypto exchanges is that BitFinex/Tether is somehow still standing.
    We all thought that Tether was going to go a few months back, but somehow it didn’t and crept back up to $1. That said, it’s back down at 0.997 this morning.
  • Options

Completely OT.

Bloody awful. And no doubt the singing (which by all accounts was superb) was not what the scumbag was booing.
    Indeed. It wasn't until I saw the actual picture that I realised the likely cause of his anger. Glad the audience reaction hopefully saved the day for the lad.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

tlg86 said:

Greed, as always.
    How about greed AND naivete?
    Well, everyone is greedy in the sense that give the buggers 650m and their thoughts turn to turning it into a lot more than 650m. An education as a quarterback doesn't equip you to know an investment opportunity from a scam. am happy to stick with naivete.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

For TSE

Don't ignore the reverse psychologists out there.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited November 2022
    EU imposes meeting ban on UK officials

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/eu-imposes-meeting-ban-on-uk-officials/

“Declining a meeting request should be explained on the basis of recent developments in EU-UK relations”

And there we were, focusing on the positive momentum in the Protocol discussions...

p.s. this is not normal

https://twitter.com/remkorteweg/status/1590620295122980864
  • Options

Lots of shopping opportunities, probably.

• Options

As always your logic circuits fail when it comes to Brexit.

As always, it's not my logic that is at fault.

I knew Brexit would be shit. Didn't vote for it. It's shit.

Lord Wolfson wanted it, voted for it. Now whining that it's shit.
  • Options

I did find a burger joint in Kyiv that looked worth a visit.
    A genuinely lovely city, everyone should visit once this damn war is all over. They’ll welcome your tourist dollars with open arms.

Oh, and last time I was there, even the fancy bars were $2 a beer, the smaller bars outside the centre were often less than $1. Cheers!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nope he is simply saying what we all knew, which was that post Brexit Britain would be shaped by the leaders and the people who came afterwards rather than solely by those who voted for Brexit. It was what we all knew - or should have done - and indeed is what I wrote thread headers about before and after the referendum.

It is the idiots like you who still want to spend all your time whining rather than doing or saying anything constructive who are out of touch with reality.
  • Options

he is simply saying what we all knew, which was that post Brexit Britain would be shaped by the leaders and the people who came afterwards rather than solely by those who voted for Brexit.

BoZo

Truss

Sunak

A more damning indictment than I could ever imagine...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

This all comes just a few days after the toning down of the Russian nuclear rhetoric, the statement from China, the news of back-channel communications between US and Russia, and the "I Can't Believe It's Not Pressure" on Ukraine to be open to negotiations, and agree to go to the G20 with Russia present.

It's possible to construct a narrative where Russia has won US support for negotiations as a result of using its nuclear leverage, and the withdrawal from the right bank is another step towards compromise.

I think it would be very hard for Ukraine to agree to territorial concessions, but if they're only de facto, rather than de jure, and accompanied with strong economic and military support, then a ceasefire could be in the offing.

There are lots of signs that the US is still reluctant to provide the level of equipment support that would enable a near-term Ukrainian victory, which is regrettable in my view, but could be where this is going.
    I suspect there is something in this. I have recently thought the way this war ends is in uncomfortable ceasefire and a demilitarised zone similar to Korea, setting us up for a frozen conflict and years of bad blood and brinkmanship. It’s not how I want the conflict to end, but this is what I am increasingly wondering if we will now see.

Russia doesn’t get its territory acknowledged internationally, Ukraine keeps the major cities, nobody is particularly happy but everyone can just about live with it.
  • Options
    M25 shut again

Can’t they actually lock up these morons, I thought there was a legislation change recently to expand the definition of disruptive behaviour?
  • Options
    Not very often you see Hit Wicket in an International.

How crucial could that be at the end? They were saying 168 was par score and its exactly what India got.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801
    Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

Wolfson can go fxck himself. If Brexit was about anything it was lowering immigration regardless of the spin put on that by Leavers . These Leavers now moaning about Brexit need to stfu and accept it’s a shitshow .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

Wolfson can go fxck himself. If Brexit was about anything it was lowering immigration regardless of the spin put on that by Leavers . These Leavers now moaning about Brexit need to stfu and accept it’s a shitshow .
    Wolfson can pay better wages or offer better terms and conditions if he wants more staff.

If he does, his staff may not agree with you on the definition of a shitshow.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801

nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

Wolfson can pay better wages or offer better terms and conditions if he wants more staff.

Fine he should pay them more and still stfu ! For someone running a large company you’d think he’d be intelligent enough to work out that ending FOM has consequences.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

I'd be careful criticising him, he's a Made* man now, is he not? :hushed:

*.com
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432

Not very often you see Hit Wicket in an International.

How crucial could that be at the end? They were saying 168 was par score and its exactly what India got.

Hit Wicket sounds like one of those US election candidates
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Can’t they actually lock up these morons, I thought there was a legislation change recently to expand the definition of disruptive behaviour?

Several times, over the years, the courts adopted the following policy - when someone on bail was brought up before beaks for the xth time for the same offence, bail was denied.

Each time this has been done, it causes a collapse in certain types of crime. The habituals rapidly end up on remand.

Of course, justice delayed/denied, unconnected people being imprisoned etc.

Which is why it is always reverted back, in the end.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I suspect there is something in this. I have recently thought the way this war ends is in uncomfortable ceasefire and a demilitarised zone similar to Korea, setting us up for a frozen conflict and years of bad blood and brinkmanship. It’s not how I want the conflict to end, but this is what I am increasingly wondering if we will now see.

Russia doesn’t get its territory acknowledged internationally, Ukraine keeps the major cities, nobody is particularly happy but everyone can just about live with it.
    There seems to be little evidence that Russia can hold any particular stop line*. The Ukrainians aren't going to cross the river at Kherson, but having a big river as a barrier works 2 ways. They can concentrate on other areas.

*Especially the one that Wagner Group is building in the northern area. Which couldn't stop a determined farmer.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Nope he is simply saying what we all knew, which was that post Brexit Britain would be shaped by the leaders and the people who came afterwards rather than solely by those who voted for Brexit. It was what we all knew - or should have done - and indeed is what I wrote thread headers about before and after the referendum.

It is the idiots like you who still want to spend all your time whining rather than doing or saying anything constructive who are out of touch with reality.
    Scott, just wish harder and everything will be better. If Brexit isn't working it's entirely the fault of people like you and in no way the fault of the people who lobbied for it, voted for it or implemented it. Got it?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

As a Remainer I thought it was acceptable for the voters to elect a government that would hold a second referendum and not Brexit at all, so the voters are certainly free to elect a government that will increase immigration, and adjust Brexit, if they so wish.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Scott_xP said:

he is simply saying what we all knew, which was that post Brexit Britain would be shaped by the leaders and the people who came afterwards rather than solely by those who voted for Brexit.

BoZo

Truss

Sunak

Which party did you vote for in 2015?
  • Options

Which bit of "post Brexit" did you not understand?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Scott, just wish harder and everything will be better. If Brexit isn't working it's entirely the fault of people like you and in no way the fault of the people who lobbied for it, voted for it or implemented it. Got it?
    A genuinely stupid comment predicated on the idea that I am unhappy with the way Brexit is going. Which is an utterly false view. As I said back at the time of the vote I had an ideal version of Brexit and so far we have not achieved that but what we have now still beats being a member of the EU by a million miles. Only children like Scott have tantrums when they don't get things exactly the way they want them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Scott_xP said:

You were happy to vote for them pre Brexit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Some, including that clown who was blubbing up a gantry on Monday, are being held on remand.

However most of them are arrested and then released and then go back to carry on regardless.

They have said they will continue until the govt yields and they will.

Animal Rebellion, the Vegan nutter offshoot, have joined the protests too.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo

Truss

Sunak

That is an indictment of the Tory party not Brexit. Bozo would still have ended up as Tory leader whether we had left or not. This is the consequences of the party you used to support.
  • Options

Only children like Scott have tantrums when they don't get things exactly the way they want them.

Again, not me having a tantrum this morning

Lord Wolfson, on the radio
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Trump is certainly no longer clear favourite for the GOP nomination in 2024 after a worse than expected performance by the GOP and candidates he backed especially.

It looks like it will be a big battle between Trump and DeSantis therefore in 2024 for that nomination
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo

Truss

Sunak

Sunak is probably the most impressive PM by background and educational and career success in decades. Even Macron was rushing to meet him earlier this week at COP
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Only children like Scott have tantrums when they don't get things exactly the way they want them.

Wolfson advocating for the policies he wants isn't a tantrum, its democracy.

That you don't understand that and just want to moan and moan, is a tantrum.
  • Options
    Sunderland poised for a major redevelopment which would make it the Elstree of the North East.

True levelling up. It looks like plans are well in advance

Sunderland is already a creative hub for the games industry.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/massive-film-studio-plan-set-to-transform-sunderland-shipyard/ar-AA13UM1z?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=7cb212a84f4c4725b0bce2d50d200b56
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Some, including that clown who was blubbing up a gantry on Monday, are being held on remand.

However most of them are arrested and then released and then go back to carry on regardless.

They have said they will continue until the govt yields and they will.

Animal Rebellion, the Vegan nutter offshoot, have joined the protests too.
    In the past, as I have mentioned, the courts have adopted the policy of "show up for the xth instance of offence y, go on remand".

I suspect that this is what will happen here.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No tantrum at all except in your deluded mind.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Surely what Wolfson is saying is just regaining control.

Brexit, from the migration point of view, was about control not stopping it.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Nigelb said:

"On it..."

Note Democrats got over 60% amongst voters under 30 and 54% amongst voters 30 to 39, similar age divide emerging in the US too
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"But I was thinking of a plan
    To dye my whiskers green
    And always use so large a fan
    That they could not be seen."

Edward Lear.

Lord Wolfson has dyed his whiskers and not thought through the whole fan thing.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    "Trump is no longer the betting favourite for the WH2024 GOP nomination."

He has in fact gone slight fav again for the nom and he's 5.5 for the WH. He's a lay as always but a good play from here imo is wait till he announces and see what his price for the WH does on the back of that. I can see it shortening quite a bit and becoming ridiculous value to short.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

You were happy to vote for them pre Brexit.
    Except in 2015, Sunak was just about to become a backbench MP for Richmond for the first time. Johnson was Mayor of London about to become a backbench MP for Uxbridge. Truss had been an MP for five years and Environment Secretary for a year. Two of them were Parliamentary nobodies and Truss wasn't that important.

I doubt that their qualities, or lack of them, affected many peoples' votes in 2015.
  • Options
    On BREXIT

As a Remainer, I long held the view that, because of the disparity in the shortages/surpluses of workers in the skilled and unskilled categories, a large chunk of the political class was driving us off a cliff.

That is, celebrating immigration is all well and good. For the skilled and highly educated, the world wide shortages of equivalent labour means that we are protected against wage deflation, even if you had completely open borders. For the unskilled/low skilled the reverse is true. The minimum wage became the maximum wage in a range of jobs.

If you want a policy to work in a democracy, saying Fuck You to large chunks of the population ends in one way.

Which is why I support massively increasing training - see Starmer and the NHS - and investment in productivity. And I also support controls on the entry of labour to portions of the UK labour market.

Such controls could have been created inside the EU. But this would have resulted in wage inflation. Which means the nanny and the gardner would have cost more.....
  • Options
    The UK has frozen a total of £18.4bn in Russian assets since it rolled out strict sanctions in the wake of the country's invasion of Ukraine.

“That represents about £6bn more than all other sanctioned regimes, the Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation said.

“Alongside its allies, the UK has penalised over 1,200 people and 120 businesses.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/11/10/ftse-100-markets-live-news-twitter-meta-musk/
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

A genuinely stupid comment predicated on the idea that I am unhappy with the way Brexit is going. Which is an utterly false view. As I said back at the time of the vote I had an ideal version of Brexit and so far we have not achieved that but what we have now still beats being a member of the EU by a million miles. Only children like Scott have tantrums when they don't get things exactly the way they want them.
    Scott is an "idiot". My comment is "stupid". Scott is "whining" and having "tantrums". Great contributions to the debate on your part, really suggest you are confident in your position.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's this guy...

Two headlines:

-Today

Next is a minimum wage employer, they are struggling to get seasonal staff because Sainsbury's/Argos, Tesco and other major supermarkets offer significantly better rates. Sainsbury's is £11.30 in London compared to Next at £9.75, for a student looking to do 40h per week over the Xmas period they'd be mad to work for Next. There's also the opportunity of staying on with the supermarkets that Next wouldn't have available, seasonal workers aren't usually kept on but a few of my uni mates used to work for Tesco where they lived and then transfer to the big Tesco in Cardiff during term time for 16h per week. Can't do that easily with Next as it's just not as big.
  • Options

No tantrum at all except in your deluded mind.

LOL
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Scott is an "idiot". My comment is "stupid". Scott is "whining" and having "tantrums". Great contributions to the debate on your part, really suggest you are confident in your position.
    I am completely confident as I have always been. In case you missed it I have long set out one of the most coherent and consistent arguments concerning Brexit from either side of the debate. I just don't suffer whining fools and nor should anyone else, particularly when their arguments are so one dimensional and fatuous.

You could actually try making coherent contributions to the debate as many of us have, rather than infantile sniping from the sidelines.
  • Options

On BREXIT

As a Remainer, I long held the view that, because of the disparity in the shortages/surpluses of workers in the skilled and unskilled categories, a large chunk of the political class was driving us off a cliff.

That is, celebrating immigration is all well and good. For the skilled and highly educated, the world wide shortages of equivalent labour means that we are protected against wage deflation, even if you had completely open borders. For the unskilled/low skilled the reverse is true. The minimum wage became the maximum wage in a range of jobs.

If you want a policy to work in a democracy, saying Fuck You to large chunks of the population ends in one way.

Which is why I support massively increasing training - see Starmer and the NHS - and investment in productivity. And I also support controls on the entry of labour to portions of the UK labour market.

Such controls could have been created inside the EU. But this would have resulted in wage inflation. Which means the nanny and the gardner would have cost more.....

Personally I have always been happy to pay people whatever they want. We had a nanny/babysitter for a while, we paid her well above the London living wage. She was British anyway. The problem now is that sometimes it's hard to find anyone at any price. Perhaps this will resolve itself over time, but what we have seen in the last few years is actually a fall in labour force participation. In an ageing society we are going to see increasing labour shortages. The obvious solution if you don't want immigration of younger workers is to raise the retirement age to 70 or something. But a lot of people are in too poor health by that age to work.
This discussion has been closed.