Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How Murdoch’s New York Post is covering the MidTerms – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited November 2022
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

As always your logic circuits fail when it comes to Brexit.

As always, it's not my logic that is at fault.

I knew Brexit would be shit. Didn't vote for it. It's shit.

Lord Wolfson wanted it, voted for it. Now whining that it's shit.
    Nope he is simply saying what we all knew, which was that post Brexit Britain would be shaped by the leaders and the people who came afterwards rather than solely by those who voted for Brexit. It was what we all knew - or should have done - and indeed is what I wrote thread headers about before and after the referendum.

It is the idiots like you who still want to spend all your time whining rather than doing or saying anything constructive who are out of touch with reality.
    Scott, just wish harder and everything will be better. If Brexit isn't working it's entirely the fault of people like you and in no way the fault of the people who lobbied for it, voted for it or implemented it. Got it?
    A genuinely stupid comment predicated on the idea that I am unhappy with the way Brexit is going. Which is an utterly false view. As I said back at the time of the vote I had an ideal version of Brexit and so far we have not achieved that but what we have now still beats being a member of the EU by a million miles. Only children like Scott have tantrums when they don't get things exactly the way they want them.
    Scott is an "idiot". My comment is "stupid". Scott is "whining" and having "tantrums". Great contributions to the debate on your part, really suggest you are confident in your position.
    I am completely confident as I have always been. In case you missed it I have long set out one of the most coherent and consistent arguments concerning Brexit from either side of the debate. I just don't suffer whining fools and nor should anyone else, particularly when their arguments are so one dimensional and fatuous.

You could actually try making coherent contributions to the debate as many of us have, rather than infantile sniping from the sidelines.
    You are however trumped by William Glenn who has set out coherent and consistent arguments from both sides of the debate :wink:
    Unlike the rest of us consistent but partisan whingers, I believe he did both in ‘good faith’.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Ambulance response times: Broken.

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1590644684837117952

"Category 2 calls include suspected heart attacks and strokes.
    The England average for October was the worst ever: 1 hour 1 minute and 19 seconds.
    The target is 18 minutes.

Category 1 are immediate life-critical situations: not breathing, cardiac arrest, bleeding out.
    The system prioritises them at all costs: if they don't get there, people die in front of the caller.
    Only London anywhere near target of 7 minutes.

As for something that "merely" requires urgent treatment in an acute context (Category 3s) your mean wait is 3 hours 34 minutes - with 1 in 10 people waiting more than 8 hours forty-nine.
    These and Category 4s (if clinically stable: more than 4 hours on average) all worst ever.

(I’ve said it a good few times but those puzzling non-COVID excess deaths in England and Wales … just don’t think they’re very puzzling)
    "

Do you mean you think COVID deaths are being understated at the moment?
    No. Excess deaths are due to a collapsed Ambulance and Emergency dept. system.
    What's caused the collapse? People leaving the
    profession and not being replaced?
    No beds because we cannot discharge to Social Care. Therefore ED gets backed up, ambulances cannot unload, not available for urgent patients.

It's the cheap boots story applied to the NHS. Because of Social Care malfunctions, best not have a heart attack.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

The England average for October was the worst ever: 1 hour 1 minute and 19 seconds.

Category 1 are immediate life-critical situations: not breathing, cardiac arrest, bleeding out.
    The system prioritises them at all costs: if they don't get there, people die in front of the caller.

As for something that "merely" requires urgent treatment in an acute context (Category 3s) your mean wait is 3 hours 34 minutes - with 1 in 10 people waiting more than 8 hours forty-nine.
    These and Category 4s (if clinically stable: more than 4 hours on average) all worst ever.

(I’ve said it a good few times but those puzzling non-COVID excess deaths in England and Wales … just don’t think they’re very puzzling)
    "

What's caused the collapse? People leaving the profession and not being replaced?
    Are staff still able to be off work due to a positive covid test even though they are not ill?
    Given the risk to patients because of the synergy of covid with other issues, such as risks of general anaesthesia ...
    While the risk to patients of not being seen at all because healthy people are at home are what exactly?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

In one thread why i will never vote SKS Labour

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1589626278680072193.html

"party sources warned that potential defectors do not have long to make up their minds" is interesting.

I see the force of your grievance, but you gotta accept that this country is governed by tories, or by red tories. Had you thought of China? North Korea?
  • Options

Leon said:

My Twitter feed is full of gleeful, exultant Pakistan fans. They really don’t get on

Tomorrow Leon learns water is wet.
    Tbf he’s been fantasising about a Lake being wet for the last couple of months.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

No beds because we cannot discharge to Social Care. Therefore ED gets backed up, ambulances cannot unload, not available for urgent patients.

It's the cheap boots story applied to the NHS. Because of Social Care malfunctions, best not have a heart attack.
    I'm snowed under at work (yes, I know, I shouldn't be on here!) so don't have time to dig into the numbers, but if so, then this should be showing a spike in deaths of the "not that old".
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

On NI Brexit arrangements, Chris Heaton-Harris says those who created it didn't foresee what it would mean.

"When [the Protocol] was written I don't think the people behind writing it knew the ramifications it would have...when the rubber hit the road", he tells @SkyNews

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1590603830118715392

If everyone continually moaning about this, instead expended their energies on finding a workable solution…
    It looks as if a deal with the EU is not far away and that would be a nightmare for @Scott_xP as it would remove a big source of angst over Brexit

Believe when it happens, bet it is a long long way off
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited November 2022
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

Of course social care sector is doing the same thing as the NHS and putting in restrictions rather than running to capacity due to Covid. Do you think you guys should have Covid restrictions but they shouldn't?

If you want capacity, drop Covid restrictions, or if you want Covid restrictions then learn to operate within your new capacity.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

Economists question 'black hole' in UK finances

A group of economists has questioned UK assertions that a "black hole" in the public finances will need to be filled with austerity measures and tax rises.

The Progressive Economy Forum said the £50bn "hole" disappears entirely if the debts are calculated differently.

The government previously used a different measure of debt, and going back to using that would leave £14bn to spare, they said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573989

Austerity is a political choice, not economic necessity.

I’ve been questioning where it came from, what caused it, and why it was never mentioned during months of Tory hustings, for many weeks now.

My conclusion is two fold, there was always more costs for things like reducing medical waiting times on backlog of 12 million people, than the Tory leadership contest was ever honest about. And remember the advert Robert shared, the Truss government BOASTING how much GDP they were spending on bucking the energy market for two years? If they hadn’t reduced that to six months they likely now talking about filling a £200bn black hole, something else some PB posters were right on long before it was cut to six months.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

What's caused the collapse? People leaving the profession and not being replaced?
    Are staff still able to be off work due to a positive covid test even though they are not ill?
    Would you want your elderly relative treated by someone who knowingly has covid? (Lateral flow are a pretty good indicator of the ability to infect, far better than PCR which can amplify too much).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

On NI Brexit arrangements, Chris Heaton-Harris says those who created it didn't foresee what it would mean.

"When [the Protocol] was written I don't think the people behind writing it knew the ramifications it would have...when the rubber hit the road", he tells @SkyNews

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1590603830118715392

If everyone continually moaning about this, instead expended their energies on finding a workable solution…
    It looks as if a deal with the EU is not far away and that would be a nightmare for @Scott_xP as it would remove a big source of angst over Brexit

Believe when it happens, bet it is a long long way off
    Reports say before Christmas
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

Would you want your elderly relative treated by someone who knowingly has covid? (Lateral flow are a pretty good indicator of the ability to infect, far better than PCR which can amplify too much).
    Your elderly relative is probably 4 or 5 doses of vaccine in at this point. If not now, when?
  • Options

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

Over not being treated at all?

Yes, the opportunity cost of these covid restrictions is too high.
  • Options
    The House of Commons Library has concluded that claims repeatedly made by SNP ministers and other senior SNP figures about Scotland’s wind energy potential are based on unreliable data.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Blackley/status/1590657721103110144
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    edited November 2022
    It's going to be a repeat of the 1992 cricket world cup final: England v Pakistan at the MCG. Also, that was a tournament where Pakistan were almost knocked out and saved by an unlikely result.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Can’t they actually lock up these morons, I thought there was a legislation change recently to expand the definition of disruptive behaviour?

Why not just ignore teh twats and let them freeze their bits off
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Who is on the "hard right" (from the link) of Labour - has Tommy Robinson become a member? I don't think I've ever seen anyone referring to the hard left of the Tories.

SKS has done the Labour lefties up like kippers, that's true enough. Ruthless bugger, isn't he? But RBL would be leader if she'd been popular enough (and Corbyn would have been PM if he was).

What do we think - is it a feint right, to do the centre/centre-right voters up like kippers after the next GE or is he really all centrist dad?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

Your elderly relative is probably 4 or 5 doses of vaccine in at this point. If not now, when?
    My wife and I are to have our 5th vaccine on Sunday and we both had a nasty bout of covid in August
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    edited November 2022
    kinabalu said:

Driver said:

A group of economists has questioned UK assertions that a "black hole" in the public finances will need to be filled with austerity measures and tax rises.

The Progressive Economy Forum said the £50bn "hole" disappears entirely if the debts are calculated differently.

The government previously used a different measure of debt, and going back to using that would leave £14bn to spare, they said.

But the economists said that "fiscal hole" is merely the difference between an uncertain forecast - of how much the government will spend and borrow in future under current plans - and what it can afford to do if it is to hit an arbitrary target - that debt starts to fall as a proportion of the economy three or five years from now.

Yes, if you don't care about ever reducing debt then you can just borrow and borrow.

No surprise to see Will Hutton on the membership list...
    I'm a sound money nut but there is a good debatable point here about how the numbers - upon which it's decided to do very real and painful things - are highly sensitive to subjective forecasting and accounting methodologies.
    I agree. Sunak's policies as envisaged currently would prolong a recession. Which is one of the reasons he lost to Truss. In the event I think the reality of politics will force him to approach things a bit differently.
  • Options
    The UK and Switzerland have signed a major agreement deepening the relationship between the two countries’ research and innovation communities, the two countries said this morning.

Both countries are excluded from the EU’s science partnerships.

The UK called Switzerland “a natural partner” because it is “placed top of the global rankings for innovation for the past ten consecutive years, as well as being home to two of Europe’s top ten universities, some of the world’s best research laboratories and companies such as Roche and Novartis, and commercial space and satellite technology companies.

Together the two nations have 10 of Europe’s top 20 research Universities, and this agreement will deepen an ambitious bilateral relationship in areas of mutual interest across 3 key pillars: deep science, industrial commercialisation and international standards and regulation, according to a statement.

https://www.cityam.com/no-need-for-eu-uk-strikes-major-post-brexit-science-and-research-deal-with-switzerland/
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Can’t they actually lock up these morons, I thought there was a legislation change recently to expand the definition of disruptive behaviour?

Bottom line up front - these protestors only recognise fire as fire. The Native Americans knew distinction between good fire, bad fire.

So what the protesters are achieving is two fold.

Firstly, if you believed in their causes, like insulate Britain asap, and so willing to explain it to your mates in a bar before these protests, you are less likely too now, hence they are killing their own cause and making it less likely to happen. Secondly, the only thing they are empowering to happen is a Bill to limit right to protest and clamp down harder on protests being introduced by government and passed by parliament. So they are wrecking freedom for everyone else.

The politics of someone like Braverman benefits from the actions of these protestors.
    They aren't trying to convince anyone of anything. The aim is to keep environmental issues in the news. We aren't going to get the necessary changes by stupid fucking voting. Direct action is required.

I admire their persistence but they should be A LOT more violent.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Ishmael_Z said:

"party sources warned that potential defectors do not have long to make up their minds" is interesting.

I see the force of your grievance, but you gotta accept that this country is governed by tories, or by red tories. Had you thought of China? North Korea?
    If only the Tories would do the same with their nutters, deadweights and embarassments!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

My Twitter feed is full of gleeful, exultant Pakistan fans. They really don’t get on

Tomorrow Leon learns water is wet.
    What is this language I keep seeing on Indian cricket Twitter?

“10 saal se padh rhe h exam mai fail ho jaate h. Class test mai top karte hain. Itne attempts to duniya ke kisi exam mai ni milte inhe kyu mil rhe hain.”

“Nahi ye powerplay me 6 ki average chalayenge. BC utna to test me rehta hai ab.”

Is it Hinglish? Or some special cricket creole? Intriguing
    It's Hindi with some English thrown in. Don't ask me what it means, my Hindi is really rusty.
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

Of course social care sector is doing the same thing as the NHS and putting in restrictions rather than running to capacity due to Covid. Do you think you guys should have Covid restrictions but they shouldn't?

If you want capacity, drop Covid restrictions, or if you want Covid restrictions then learn to operate within your new capacity.
    There are no covid restrictions. Mask wearing in patient facing areas, but that is not a restriction. Staff are not tested if asymptomatic, only if symptomatic like any other disease.

So I am not clear what you want us to be rid of. The problems of Social Care are about funding and staffing.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    A month ago the GOP tweeted out

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/status/1578174670854975491

I think it was an entry into the "Which 3 people are going to have the most reputation destroying month competition" but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

kinabalu said:

Driver said:

But the economists said that "fiscal hole" is merely the difference between an uncertain forecast - of how much the government will spend and borrow in future under current plans - and what it can afford to do if it is to hit an arbitrary target - that debt starts to fall as a proportion of the economy three or five years from now.

Yes, if you don't care about ever reducing debt then you can just borrow and borrow.

I'm a sound money nut but there is a good debatable point here about how the numbers - upon which it's decided to do very real and painful things - are highly sensitive to subjective forecasting and accounting methodologies.
    I agree. Sunak's policies as envisaged currently would prolong a recession. Which is one of the reasons he lost to Truss. In the event I think the reality of politics will force him to approach things a bit differently.
    YOU agree?

Ah. Let me have a think.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Bottom line up front - these protestors only recognise fire as fire. The Native Americans knew distinction between good fire, bad fire.

Firstly, if you believed in their causes, like insulate Britain asap, and so willing to explain it to your mates in a bar before these protests, you are less likely too now, hence they are killing their own cause and making it less likely to happen. Secondly, the only thing they are empowering to happen is a Bill to limit right to protest and clamp down harder on protests being introduced by government and passed by parliament. So they are wrecking freedom for everyone else.

The politics of someone like Braverman benefits from the actions of these protestors.
    They aren't trying to convince anyone of anything. The aim is to keep environmental issues in the news. We aren't going to get the necessary changes by stupid fucking voting. Direct action is required.

You won't get anything by voting because both parties are fully signed up to the environutters' damaging agenda...
  • Options
    Civil service vote for strike action including the home and passport offices

Is there any part of the public sector not going on strike ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

I thought the argument was the risk one of them falls from the gantry and causes an accident on the motorway. But if they're now attaching themselves to the gantries with bikelocks, to the extent that heavy duty cutting material is needed to remove them, that risk is surely removed.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

It's about balancing risk. You car now has air bags, ABS, strong structures for impacts, but it doesn't mean you should drive without the seatbelt. Looking at the data, an awful lot of people acquire covid in hospitals. Now that might be mostly patient to patient spread, but doing what we can to stop sick people getting something else that might make them sicker, is a sensible thing.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

36 runs needed. No wickets down. Remarkable

I'm sensing we'll be winning all the World Cups in rugby cricket and football between now and Christmas. Be remarkable if it happens. Really put a smile on all our faces as this rather difficult year draws to a close.
    There are fantasies and there are "Fantasies"
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Whole range of opinions on PB.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Violence would be a daft move because there are far more people willing and hoping to do violence to them than they could possibly imagine. All they are looking for is an excuse.
  • Options

The House of Commons Library has concluded that claims repeatedly made by SNP ministers and other senior SNP figures about Scotland’s wind energy potential are based on unreliable data.

:D The unbiased unionist lickspittle House of Commons Library propaganda unit has spoken.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

You won't get anything by voting because both parties are fully signed up to the environutters' damaging agenda...
    No they aren't. We are doing staggeringly little compared to what we could do. In 1970 you could fly London New York return for $500. you still can, when that should have inflated to $5000. If it was me I'd slap a 100% surcharge on all flights to everywhere, just for starters.

But then I am an idiot who doesn't realise this is all a gigantic hoax to enable poor brown third world people to steal all your money.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2022
    No Bowen or James Ward-Prowse in Southgate's squad - Guehi, Tomori, Toney and Abraham also out. Looking great for Callum Wilson, Ben White and Kyle Walker. And has it opened a place for James Maddison who had feared the worst? Looking good for Rashford too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2022/11/10/england-squad-live-football-world-cup-2022-southgate-updates/

Gareth Waistcoat not taking the best deadball specialist, best penalty taker or best English defenders who play in Italy....I bet Eric Dier by name, Dier by nature gets in!
  • Options

Will anyone even notice those ones are missing
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

:D The unbiased unionist lickspittle House of Commons Library propaganda unit has spoken.
    Come along, malc. Look at a map. Big place, Europe. Big number, 25%.
  • Options

The UK and Switzerland have signed a major agreement deepening the relationship between the two countries’ research and innovation communities, the two countries said this morning.

The UK called Switzerland “a natural partner” because it is “placed top of the global rankings for innovation for the past ten consecutive years, as well as being home to two of Europe’s top ten universities, some of the world’s best research laboratories and companies such as Roche and Novartis, and commercial space and satellite technology companies.

Together the two nations have 10 of Europe’s top 20 research Universities, and this agreement will deepen an ambitious bilateral relationship in areas of mutual interest across 3 key pillars: deep science, industrial commercialisation and international standards and regulation, according to a statement.

https://www.cityam.com/no-need-for-eu-uk-strikes-major-post-brexit-science-and-research-deal-with-switzerland/

Good. Add Israel and we’re away laughing.
    Indeed. The EU and wider continent is diminished by not having the UK and Switzerland in the tent for scientific research. This was an inevitability and in a year's time when countries outside of Europe are invited to join, including Israel, the EU is, once again, going to be looking very insular and protectionist.
  • Options

Junior doctors balloting shortly. They got 2%, so a real terms pay cut of 8%, with the same planned for next year.

Brexit Britain does seem desperate to re-live the early Seventies, only with worse music.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

They are a bunch of losers , the only violence they will see is when people get really pissed off and start beating the crap out of them
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,616

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

Given the risk to patients because of the synergy of covid with other issues, such as risks of general anaesthesia ...
    While the risk to patients of not being seen at all because healthy people are at home are what exactly?
    Bart, keeping infectious people away from patients has been standard medical practice since germ theory was accepted. That’s not going to change because of your obsessions.

The delays in A&E are driven mainly by problems in social care provision anyway.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

It's about balancing risk. You car now has air bags, ABS, strong structures for impacts, but it doesn't mean you should drive without the seatbelt. Looking at the data, an awful lot of people acquire covid in hospitals. Now that might be mostly patient to patient spread, but doing what we can to stop sick people getting something else that might make them sicker, is a sensible thing.
    The alternative seems to be "let them die at home" so I'm not sure it's working.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

Indeed. The EU and wider continent is diminished by not having the UK and Switzerland in the tent for scientific research. This was an inevitability and in a year's time when countries outside of Europe are invited to join, including Israel, the EU is, once again, going to be looking very insular and protectionist.
    When it comes to tech R&D, Israel are streets ahead pretty much every European country.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Selebian said:

Who is on the "hard right" (from the link) of Labour - has Tommy Robinson become a member? I don't think I've ever seen anyone referring to the hard left of the Tories.

SKS has done the Labour lefties up like kippers, that's true enough. Ruthless bugger, isn't he? But RBL would be leader if she'd been popular enough (and Corbyn would have been PM if he was).

What do we think - is it a feint right, to do the centre/centre-right voters up like kippers after the next GE or is he really all centrist dad?
    I think the first - but only after bedding in for a few years.

I do get the BJO grievance btw. Don't share it but I get it. Starmer fooled the Left to secure the leader job, then not only moved right but stamped all over them.

Also when Jez was leader many "centrists" in the party actively worked to sabotage Labour's electoral prospects - that's when they weren't prioritizing a 2nd EU referendum over replacing a Tory government.

So BJO is justifiably an angry camper. But he lost me when he started saying he preferred Johnson and the Cons to Labour under Starmer. I can't be having that. That's not something I find compatible with being on the Left.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Violence is never a solution. Surely you know that :wink:

Anyway environmental issues are constantly in the news and not only in the news on magazine shows and weather reports.

It is something that is regularly out there.

• Options

MaxPB said:

When it comes to tech R&D, Israel are streets ahead pretty much every European country.
    Indeed and adding Israel will have the added bonus of the hard left and right making fools of themselves.
  • Options
    Just checking out random polls.

Who's this "Patriot Polling" who predicted an 8 point win for Johnson in Wisconsin (amongst other stuff).

Well, here's their twitter profile

And their website: https://patriotpolling.com/

It is literally 2 highs-school students. Nothing on their methodology except that they allegedly cold call people (which given known response rates means that these dudes have made tens of thousands of cold calls).

And 538 just puts them in there. Just like that. And they get to put "Recognized by FiveThirtyEight." in their Twitter profile.

Nate Silver does not understand the reputational asymmetry of what is going on here.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

No they aren't. We are doing staggeringly little compared to what we could do. In 1970 you could fly London New York return for $500. you still can, when that should have inflated to $5000. If it was me I'd slap a 100% surcharge on all flights to everywhere, just for starters.

But then I am an idiot who doesn't realise this is all a gigantic hoax to enable poor brown third world people to steal all your money.
    Well, yes, we could destroy the economy immediately in the pursuit of an unattainable goal, rather than just doing it slowly. Doesn't make much difference in the end.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited November 2022

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Violence would be a daft move because there are far more people willing and hoping to do violence to them than they could possibly imagine. All they are looking for is an excuse.
    A few martyrs for the cause always works a treat.

‘This year’s Emily Wilding Davison medal goes to Jeremy X, beaten to death by ruddy faced commuters on the North Circular.’
  • Options

I doubt it, because the pay rates being offered aren't enough to recruit and retain staff. Hence the holes appearing in staffing in all sorts of public sector sectors.

And whilst taxpayers may wish it wasn't so, there are the same solutions to recruitment crises that there have always been. Pay more, make the job nicer or go without.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

It's not the covid per se that is the risk but the fact it considerably increases the mortality from the actual condition they are in for, and also for general anaesthesia.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Well, yes, we could destroy the economy immediately in the pursuit of an unattainable goal, rather than just doing it slowly. Doesn't make much difference in the end.
    Translation: there's a lot of BP in my pension and I don't have any children to worry about.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

SKS needs a few million Tory voters to vote for him. (At the moment I am one of them.) Let Pidcock, Burgon, Abbott and Jezza with assorted new names from the cliche driven left out of the cage and several million normally Tory voters, sickened by various Torygates, will stop voting Labour.

• Options
    Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

I thought the argument was the risk one of them falls from the gantry and causes an accident on the motorway. But if they're now attaching themselves to the gantries with bikelocks, to the extent that heavy duty cutting material is needed to remove them, that risk is surely removed.
    If the clowns were just ignored they would not be around for long.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    edited November 2022
    "Charlotte Lynch
    @charlotterlynch

Yesterday I was arrested by
    @HertsPolice
    whilst covering a protest on the M25.

I showed my press card, and I was handcuffed almost immediately. My phone was snatched out of my hand. I was searched twice, held in a cell for 5 hours, and I wasn’t questioned whilst in custody.

8:45 AM · Nov 9, 2022"

https://twitter.com/charlotterlynch/status/1590264372945092609
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    edited November 2022
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Driver said:

YOU agree?

Ah. Let me have a think.
    You're going to have to get something right once in a while - it must be an odd sensation for you, but it will soon pass.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

‘This year’s Emily Wilding Davison medal goes to Jeremy X, beaten to death by ruddy faced commuters on the North Circular.’
    I think you overstate the public opinion of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    England squad leaking like a sieve government department.

One leg Walker is in. Expected to be fit to play some part in the tournament. Do England ever learn.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

It's not the covid per se that is the risk but the fact it considerably increases the mortality from the actual condition they are in for, and also for general anaesthesia.
    I think Barty's argument would be that killing off patients in hospital for something else with Covid would help reduce waiting times?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

There are no covid restrictions. Mask wearing in patient facing areas, but that is not a restriction. Staff are not tested if asymptomatic, only if symptomatic like any other disease.

So I am not clear what you want us to be rid of. The problems of Social Care are about funding and staffing.
    That's good to hear.

Must be a recent change.

This from July:

"What if colleagues are Covid-19 positive but feel well enough to work?

If colleagues are unable to attend work because they are Covid positive although feel well enough to work, managers will try to support them to either work from home or by doing different type of work or duties where appropriate. Where this is not possible and colleagues are not able to attend work because of infection control reasons they would be paid as if they are at work. This would be recorded as authorised absence and not sickness absence. As this is authorised absence, it will not count towards the sickness absence triggers."
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,616

The UK did well out of Horizon. We’ve got some of the best research centres in the world, so we won more Horizon funding than the country paid in. It is a shame we have now lost that.

I am amused at the quote that we have 10 of Europe’s top 20 universities between us and the Swiss. I’m not certain what rankings they’re using, but the THE rankings had a top 10 for Europe with 7 from the UK and 1 from Switzerland (and 2 German). I suspect the 10 out of 20 is equally lopsided.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited November 2022

According to this list the top EU university is 44th in the world, with UK universities streets ahead. (Even Oxford makes it).

While this can't be true, it must indicate something about what has happened to Prague, Bologna, Paris, Berlin, Rome and other seats of learning.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2022

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Startling analysis from the Tellygraph on the Florida results

‘The results were remarkable, proving that demographic change doesn’t equate to Left-wing destiny. Hispanics voted for DeSantis by 57-42 per cent, a 15-point lead and a massive swing, according to an ABC exit poll. Non-Cuban Hispanics switched for the first time: almost two-thirds of them voted Democratic in 2018, a seemingly impregnable 30-point lead; this week, they voted 52-47 per cent for DeSantis.’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/09/biden-calamity-world-trump-isnt-man-beat/

If the Republicans nonetheless opt for the hideous Trump then they deserve to die
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

I would think the public was pretty pissed off with EW Davison what with endangering horses and riders and screwing up the race.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    Andy_JS said:

"Charlotte Lynch
    @charlotterlynch

Yesterday I was arrested by
    @HertsPolice
    whilst covering a protest on the M25.

I showed my press card, and I was handcuffed almost immediately. My phone was snatched out of my hand. I was searched twice, held in a cell for 5 hours, and I wasn’t questioned whilst in custody.

8:45 AM · Nov 9, 2022"

https://twitter.com/charlotterlynch/status/1590264372945092609

Always the phone.... Journalists might want to start encrypting everything.
  • Options
    If the effect of a protest is to turn opinion away from view held by the protesters, then we must assume that this is the aim of those encouraging the protest.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Translation: there's a lot of BP in my pension and I don't have any children to worry about.
    I don't know about my pension in that detail, but I do know that wrecking our economy in pursuit of an unattainable goal isn't any good for our children or grandchildren.
    Until we have fully viable and scalable options for products made from Oil then we will need it for the foreseeable, even if demand for some of the fossil fuels subsides. These are being worked on but won't happen overnight.

https://northsuburbanrepublicanforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/a-life-without-oil-521x700.jpeg

Africa is looking to exploit far more of its oil and gas reserves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63571610
  • Options

One leg Walker is in. Expected to be fit to play some part in the tournament. Do England ever learn.

26 players, so managers can pick players who might be fit for later in the tournament.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    algarkirk said:

According to this list the top EU university is 44th in the world, with UK universities streets ahead. (Even Oxford makes it).

While this can't be true, it must indicate something about what has happened to Prague, Bologna, Paris, Berlin, Rome and other seats of learning.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2022
    That they're not quite so brown-nosy to the USA and to the largely USA-centred academic-industrial big business complex as Britain's top universities are? (Albeit doubtless not for lack of wanting. Seriously if you want someone who can think out of the box, don't look in a university in any country.)

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

"

That's good to hear.

Must be a recent change.

This from July:

"What if colleagues are Covid-19 positive but feel well enough to work?

If colleagues are unable to attend work because they are Covid positive although feel well enough to work, managers will try to support them to either work from home or by doing different type of work or duties where appropriate. Where this is not possible and colleagues are not able to attend work because of infection control reasons they would be paid as if they are at work. This would be recorded as authorised absence and not sickness absence. As this is authorised absence, it will not count towards the sickness absence triggers."
    How would they know, as testing has stopped? I haven't had a test in 6 months or more.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    tlg86 said:

26 players, so managers can pick players who might be fit for later in the tournament.
    England have done this so many times for major tournaments and it never works out well. Player isn't match fit nor has had the opportunity to join in the limited training sessions they have before a tournament to try and drill shape / tactics.

Playing for your country is very different to your club, where the general strategy / principles are drilled into the players week in week out. Pep has them drilled from kids how to play his "style". So coming back from injury, yes you aren't match fit, but you know the score in terms of tactics. International team they get very limited time to devise the plan and drill the players, being injured until later into the tournament means you miss all this.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited November 2022

Well done, a very good partnership to counter to EU insularity.
  • Options
    James Maddison IN squad
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

I would think the public was pretty pissed off with EW Davison what with endangering horses and riders and screwing up the race.
    Good afternoon all!

A very large number of people went to her funeral. Apparently it was a very solemn and well attended affair!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

I wonder if that's affected by the predominance of the English language.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Good afternoon all!

A very large number of people went to her funeral. Apparently it was a very solemn and well attended affair!
    Hi OKC hope you are well (and home?)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Daft that we always take crocked players hoping they will recover. The reason the Lionesses won was that they dropped those like Houghton, and brought in fit players. The mens team should have taken notice.
  • Options
    Signs are Tether is in trouble
    https://twitter.com/trondaoreserve/status/1590691862813478912?t=jAz9W4q3Bcqkzu34LOGdLg&s=19

Almeada has apparently shortes Tether which is a big nono in crypro land.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    agingjb2 said:

If the effect of a protest is to turn opinion away from view held by the protesters, then we must assume that this is the aim of those encouraging the protest.

Forty years ago the striking miners would have loved to have blocked London's bridges etc. On many intended trips the police pulled them over within a few miles from where they lived. Blocking London's bridges was unfortunately way beyond the strikers' reach. And, believe me, they were well organised, courageous, and strongminded. Hundreds went to prison.

But eco protestors following a rune sign and tracing back to Steinerite triquetras! Ooh, say the police, what caaan we do?

Once a guy who was almost blind supposedly managed to burn down a leading country's parliament building with little more than a petrol-soaked rag and a match. What cooould we have done, asked the government which had clearly been in suuuch a pickle.

PS @MaxPB - if you think Just Stop Oil are all unemployed proletarians, you need to get out of the world of finance some more. Try an afternoon in Totnes or Stroud. (Seriously.)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Cambridge narrow miss in the "best university in somewhere called Cambridge" stakes.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    edited November 2022
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

I think the first - but only after bedding in for a few years.

I do get the BJO grievance btw. Don't share it but I get it. Starmer fooled the Left to secure the leader job, then not only moved right but stamped all over them.

Also when Jez was leader many "centrists" in the party actively worked to sabotage Labour's electoral prospects - that's when they weren't prioritizing a 2nd EU referendum over replacing a Tory government.

So BJO is justifiably an angry camper. But he lost me when he started saying he preferred Johnson and the Cons to Labour under Starmer. I can't be having that. That's not something I find compatible with being on the Left.
    No, people in the party didn't actively work to sabotage Labour's electoral prospects. That's just one of the far left's myths, since debunked by the Forde report.

The reality is that Long-Bailey would have lost badly in 2020 regardless. She got only 27.6% on the first ballot and the vast majority of Nandy's votes would have gone to Starmer on the 2nd ballot. Since then, the far left have left the party in droves which just shows what a bunch of short term entryists too many of them were. Joined to vote for Corbyn, left when his successor lost. Good riddance. Go back in time and repeat the 2020 election with the current membership and Long-Bailey would not get more than 20%.

Labour Party internal elections to select parliamentary candidates have high turnouts typically involving more than half the total membership, and when you get that sort of turnout the far left are marginalised. Yes some of their candidates have fallen foul of "due diligence", but plenty haven't and have been longlisted. The fact that next to none of those have apparently beaten other candidates to get the final selection is down to the fact that the far left is now a small minority of the wider party membership.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Driver said:

algarkirk said:

I wonder if that's affected by the predominance of the English language.
    Yes. So much so, quite a few universities in the EU have switched to English-language teaching. Even in - horreur - France. Much to the chagrin of language purists there
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Alistair said:

Signs are Tether is in trouble
    https://twitter.com/trondaoreserve/status/1590691862813478912?t=jAz9W4q3Bcqkzu34LOGdLg&s=19

Almeada has apparently shortes Tether which is a big nono in crypro land.

Yep, here it goes…..

Tether at 0.989 now, double the deviation it had back in May.

Let’s see how long it takes for the whole house of cards to come tumbling down. Selling dollars for 99¢ doesn’t normally last long.
  • Options
    agingjb2 said:

It is more to bring a certain point of view to public attention. Mainstream thought is either (among an aging and decreasing band of idiots) that there is nothing to worry about, OR it's a problem but look at all these splendid wind farms and Teslas, have it licked in no time. What might be true (and anyone claiming to know for certain that it is true, or false, is an idiot) is that we are not doing nearly enough. That message is being discussed (here, now, by me), so success on the protesters' terms.

• Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Daft that we always take crocked players hoping they will recover. The reason the Lionesses won was that they dropped those like Houghton, and brought in fit players. The mens team should have taken notice.
    Wasn't Maguire injured at the start of the Euros last summer?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Anyway environmental issues are constantly in the news and not only in the news on magazine shows and weather reports.

Father Lenin said that one cannot make a revolution in white gloves.
  • Options
    Who could have predicted?

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

agingjb2 said:

It is more to bring a certain point of view to public attention. Mainstream thought is either (among an aging and decreasing band of idiots) that there is nothing to worry about, OR it's a problem but look at all these splendid wind farms and Teslas, have it licked in no time. What might be true (and anyone claiming to know for certain that it is true, or false, is an idiot) is that we are not doing nearly enough. That message is being discussed (here, now, by me), so success on the protesters' terms.

I wouldn't have a problem with protestors picketing oil refineries, oil company offices, car manufacturers, etc, but blocking roads is just daft.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Hot takes on PB about

a) the England football team
    b) the England cricket team

have similar verification rates to Trafalgar polls.

DYOR.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

agingjb2 said:

No, it is not being 'discussed' at least not in any meaningful way. You have stated an opinion and those who agree with you have agreed and those who don't will ignore it. What most people from both sides seem to agree on is that the way these protests are being run is counter productive and harms the environmentalist cause rather than helping it. The next time a more moderate activist approaches someone who has been inconvenienced by these morons, the response is likely to be less favourable even from those who are predisposed to the cause.

Meanwhile the most common response I have seen in recent days online is people bemoaning the fact that sniper's rifles are not legal.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

agingjb2 said:

I wouldn't have a problem with protestors picketing oil refineries, oil company offices, car manufacturers, etc, but blocking roads is just daft.
    Blockade oil refineries, we all run out of petrol. Really quite quickly. That would irritate the fuck out of me, wheres the "M25," whatever that is, is less problematic.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

I don't know about my pension in that detail, but I do know that wrecking our economy in pursuit of an unattainable goal isn't any good for our children or grandchildren.
    Maybe I'm an incurable optimist or maybe I read too much science, but I hope you're wrong about saving the environment being unattainable.
    When the cheapest electricity production method is renewables we surely have some hope of reducing our CO2 output before we hit an irreversible tipping point such as one caused by the melting ice or thawing permafrost.
    Change when it happens can be positive and can happen quickly, in fact it usually does, google the 'S Curve' for details. Say what you like about Elon Musk, he can be an idiot, but he's set us onto the steep part of the S curve as far as electric cars are concerned and we are seeing massive reductions in cost of solar and wind.
    So, I'm an optimist, but we could do with our politicians waking up and doing more to make us energy independent, let alone doing our bit to save the planet. The young people of the US have turned out to save the States from the lunatic right, maybe they will help the UK at the next election.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

Father Lenin said that one cannot make a revolution in white gloves.
    Mao Tse Tung Said Change Must Come, Change Must Come Through the Barrel of a Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBjwgxEawo
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited November 2022
    No point protesting if no one notices.

That said, if I was on the way to my father's funeral a) I would be delighted because he died 20 years ago; and b) at the very, very, very, very slightest indication of violence or even resistance to me reasoning with them, I would smack the fuck out of any protester preventing me reaching it.

Edit: or any of several equally compelling reasons to be somewhere.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited November 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

M25 shut again

I doubt it. Bothering a few toffs following the gee gees doesn't compare with stopping people reaching medical appointments or missing flights and job interviews. You know, real life rather than fantasy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Who could have predicted?

The joke will get tired very quickly, and had been done even before Musk by verified people changing their usernames.
This discussion has been closed.