Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Republicans now a 69% betting chance for Senate control – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2022 in General
imageThe Republicans now a 69% betting chance for Senate control – politicalbetting.com

The big political betting markets at the moment are on next Tuesday’s midterm elections when the big issue will be whether the Democrats will lose control of the Senate. At the moment it is a 50-50 split with the VP, Kamala Harris, having the casting vote. A loss of House control looks pretty certain.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 69%?

Nice.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Metaverse will catch on eventually as will 3D cinema and flying cars. Compare Zoom. Sci-fi from the 1950s on is full of videophones, but when they arrived with facetime they turned out to be a bit shit. Then covid and boom. There's no reason to suppose it will catch on before Facebook runs out of money though,, and what will catch on will be a leaner meaner iteration untainted by Facebooks fuddy duddy baggage.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Conservative MPs were talking this week about a “devil’s bargain” between Rishi Sunak and Suella Braverman.

Will the deal that put Sunak to No10 hold, or backfire and cause collateral damage to his nascent premiership?

@FinancialTimes weekend analysis https://www.ft.com/content/afc7a4b7-6cfa-499d-86ce-41e1766591a7
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    Ishmael_Z said:

Metaverse will catch on eventually as will 3D cinema and flying cars. Compare Zoom. Sci-fi from the 1950s on is full of videophones, but when they arrived with facetime they turned out to be a bit shit. Then covid and boom. There's no reason to suppose it will catch on before Facebook runs out of money though,, and what will catch on will be a leaner meaner iteration untainted by Facebooks fuddy duddy baggage.

"The metaverse" will arrive but a) it will be several technology iterations on from the present and b) it won't arrive because someone has built "the metaverse" but because it is the substrate for something in particular.
  • I'm betting on Republicans having 50 seats and no overall control.

Could be wrong, very wrong, but that's my angle.

I'm very confident about them taking the House.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    FPT... Thanks for the advice on using Twitter.

By pure fluke I found my way to the homepage, and from there reached the list of accounts I* am following.

*Actually "we", since it is Wor Lass' account. So a heady mixture of Greenery, political wonkery and railways.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,232

FPT... Thanks for the advice on using Twitter.

By pure fluke I found my way to the homepage, and from there reached the list of accounts I* am following.

*Actually "we", since it is Wor Lass' account. So a heady mixture of Greenery, political wonkery and railways.

Make sure you follow quite a few people who are smart - that you disagree with. Keeps you on your toes and well informed

Also follow random crazies, boffins, geeks, artists. Keep it varied
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Sounds very...PB

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Just about to watch the final part of SAS Rogue Heroes - thoroughly enjoyable. You can tell it is the Peeky Blinders team when The Damned is the soundtrack to a raid on an airfield!
    Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

On topic, is DeSantis going to claim God has endorsed him over Trump ?

Trump and DeSantis barrel toward 2024 — but keep their distance in Florida
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/05/trump-desantis-barrel-toward-2024-00065247
    … “He can do what he wants, but Trump’s team made DeSantis,” Sabatini said of the governor. “He would have lost [in 2018] by 10, 20, maybe 30 points without Trump’s endorsement.”

“He definitely owes him. Big time,” he added…

I sense a trump desantis dream ticket coming
    Shudder

Also, everyone seems to agree being VP is usually a thankless job, so why would de Santis want it?

I reckon a lot of Republicans will kowtow and hope that Trump cannot then install one of his kids as a follow up candidate in years to come.
    Ok, this one I know was a Yes Prime Minister episode

Arts Council England has just released its funding decisions for the next three years - and opera's the one to take the hit. English National Opera no longer getting any regular funding, Royal Opera House down 10%, Welsh National Opera down 34%, Glyndebourne down 50%

https://twitter.com/alexmarshall81/status/1588489054840311808
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Ishmael_Z said:

For 3D cinema/TV to catch on I suspect it will need to be available without needing special glasses.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    FPT:
    Leon said:

I meant one of the Big Five

Meta, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple

Which will fall first? A few years ago I would have guessed Microsoft but they seem to have upped their game. Now I’d guess Meta

You missed out Netflix, which is the one that looks shakiest to me.
    Ishmael_Z said:

There was an article on the BBC the other day listing eye-watering amounts of cash being spent 'in the metaverse' (not necessarily the FB one). I don't think I've even met anyone who's met anyone who's used it - so it was kinda suprising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63488059
    OT, but some news from France :

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63525377

"France's far-right National Rally (RN) has confirmed 27-year-old Jordan Bardella as the replacement as party leader for Marine Le Pen.

Ms Le Pen will focus instead on leading the party's group in parliament, after it took 89 seats in the National Assembly earlier this year.

It marks the first time in its 50-year history that the main far-right party has not been led by a Le Pen.

But the move does not mark a major change in direction for the party. "
    Leon said:

Which will fall first? A few years ago I would have guessed Microsoft but they seem to have upped their game. Now I’d guess Meta

As someone who doesn't use Facebook and only Whatsapp I'd probably be less affected by Meta falling

What about which will rise next?

In Scott Galloway's book The Four he doesn't even include Microsoft (I forget the reasoning).

I recall he looks at a few would be contenders to be next (whilst thinking the big four won't lose dominance for a generation), from Alibaba to Uber to Tesla.

• Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

There was an article on the BBC the other day listing eye-watering amounts of cash being spent 'in the metaverse' (not necessarily the FB one). I don't think I've even met anyone who's met anyone who's used it - so it was kinda suprising.

I really dont understand this article....just read it and can't see it is any different from second life which launched 20 years ago....except for the fact the graphics are shittier than second life. Second life is also got all the things it lists....own world currency which you can convert back to rl currency etc...ability to make and sell things. Whoever wrote this seems to think these "metaversi" are conceptually new
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,993
    ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Is there any difference between this and SecondLife?
  • Just about to watch the final part of SAS Rogue Heroes - thoroughly enjoyable. You can tell it is the Peeky Blinders team when The Damned is the soundtrack to a raid on an airfield!

Bit too much of a modernist take for me - too many fucks and metal music.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,993
    kle4 said:

Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/05/trump-desantis-barrel-toward-2024-00065247
    … “He can do what he wants, but Trump’s team made DeSantis,” Sabatini said of the governor. “He would have lost [in 2018] by 10, 20, maybe 30 points without Trump’s endorsement.”

Shudder

Also, everyone seems to agree being VP is usually a thankless job, so why would de Santis want it?

I reckon a lot of Republicans will kowtow and hope that Trump cannot then install one of his kids as a follow up candidate in years to come.
    Trump wouldn't pick DeSantis as he likes someone loyal, attractive and charismatic. The only reason he picked Pence was because he needed a bridge to evangelicals. And he regretted it later.

DeSantis wouldn't take it as he knows Trump ends up destroying anyone who works for him.
    Pagan2 said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I really dont understand this article....just read it and can't see it is any different from second life which launched 20 years ago....except for the fact the graphics are shittier than second life. Second life is also got all the things it lists....own world currency which you can convert back to rl currency etc...ability to make and sell things. Whoever wrote this seems to think these "metaversi" are conceptually new
    But... it's a tech article on the BBC. How could it not be well researched by someone with in-depth knowledge of the field? Answer me that one, eh?.....
    Call off the RL- this isn’t sport.
    I watched the England vs Romania ‘test’ match that ended 148 nil. Fun for five minutes, then apparent that the game should not be taking place.
    WillG said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Yes secondlife has far better graphics
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043
    Scott_xP said:

Conservative MPs were talking this week about a “devil’s bargain” between Rishi Sunak and Suella Braverman.

Will the deal that put Sunak to No10 hold, or backfire and cause collateral damage to his nascent premiership?

@FinancialTimes weekend analysis https://www.ft.com/content/afc7a4b7-6cfa-499d-86ce-41e1766591a7

At this point, I think it's more a question of whether he was cause collateral damage to Bravermann. He's worse than useless.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,702
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-63519627

😂😂😂😂😂

Migrants should be spread around the country not just dumped in poorer parts of the country.

Call off the RL- this isn’t sport.
    I watched the England vs Romania ‘test’ match that ended 148 nil. Fun for five minutes, then apparent that the game should not be taking place.

On checking, it was ‘just’ 134 points to nil.
    The Welsh anthem remains the best in the world
    Leon said:

Just turned over to see aabout 2000 people on the pitch. It really was a lot simpler in the 80’s.
    Pagan2 said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Yeah, but back then it was only nerds who were interested, now its really rich nerds who own companies journliasts care about.
    Leon said:

I have a secret admiration for the French.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Yes, but what about their anthem?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,137
    Taz said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-63519627

😂😂😂😂😂

Migrants should be spread around the country not just dumped in poorer parts of the country.

Hmmmm. A few days back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-63446845

'An East Yorkshire village hotel has been told it cannot house asylum seekers after a council secured an interim High Court injunction.

On Sunday, East Riding of Yorkshire Council confirmed it had gone to the High Court to stop Humber View Hotel in North Ferriby being used to house those seeking asylum.
    [...]

A copy of the injunction, dated 28 October and seen by the BBC, has been attached to the front of the hotel, and halts any plans to house asylum seekers until a hearing on 7 November.

It also prevents other hotels within the East Riding of Yorkshire being used to accommodate asylum seekers.'

Hmm again. The Council is majority Conservative, though the local councillor quoted in extenso is LD. And I *think* Mr Davis D is the MP.

At least the HO is being equal opps, or Ms Braverman is really trying to whip up the troops - whichever interpretation you prefer.
    WillG said:

kle4 said:

Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Shudder

Trump wouldn't pick DeSantis as he likes someone loyal, attractive and charismatic. The only reason he picked Pence was because he needed a bridge to evangelicals. And he regretted it later.

DeSantis wouldn't take it as he knows Trump ends up destroying anyone who works for him.
    WillG said:

kle4 said:

Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Shudder

He should know that, yet people keep working for him nonetheless! Most of them are still loyal to him, or at least dare not criticise him, even when he destroys them.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,137

Just about to watch the final part of SAS Rogue Heroes - thoroughly enjoyable. You can tell it is the Peeky Blinders team when The Damned is the soundtrack to a raid on an airfield!

Too many fucks in an Army context is modern?
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Yeah, but back then it was only nerds who were interested, now its really rich nerds who own companies journliasts care about.
    Second life still has a lot of users and probably more than these worlds I expect. Just checked and there is currently 39,921 users in world as we speak. And yes I go in second life my family has a small plot there that we use for social gatherings, dancing , bowling , games etc. So much better than posting on faecesbook
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

The French anthem is bouncy and cheering - it’s a top ten - but it’s really hard to sing which is a key failing. The Welsh anthem is considerably more stirring

I’d put the Welsh first, then Russia, then France third

Scotland bottom
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited November 2022
    Carnyx said:

My paternal grandfather fought in WW2 and every other word out of his mouth was 'fuck'. The other was 'c*nt'.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    kle4 said:

Ok, this one I know was a Yes Prime Minister episode

Arts Council England has just released its funding decisions for the next three years - and opera's the one to take the hit. English National Opera no longer getting any regular funding, Royal Opera House down 10%, Welsh National Opera down 34%, Glyndebourne down 50%

https://twitter.com/alexmarshall81/status/1588489054840311808

The ENO makes opera for ordinary people, which is presumably why funding was cut.
  • kle4 said:

Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Shudder

Nightmare ticket.
    ohnotnow said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Yes, it used to FAANG:

Facebook
    Amazon
    Apple
    Netflix
    Google

But Netflix has cratered, and now MSFT is worth much more than Google.

Which shows that impermanence is the only permanent thing.
    Far too easy for the All Blax
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

The French anthem is bouncy and cheering - it’s a top ten - but it’s really hard to sing which is a key failing. The Welsh anthem is considerably more stirring

Scotland bottom
    Very cheering

Arise, children of the Fatherland,
    The day of glory has arrived!
    Against us, tyranny's
    Bloody standard is raised, (repeated)
    Do you hear, in the countryside,
    The roar of those ferocious soldiers?
    They're coming right into your arms
    To cut the throats of your sons, your women!

Refrain:
    𝄆 To arms, citizens,
    Form your battalions,
    March, march!
    Let an impure blood
    Water our furrows
    ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Twenty years ago, there was Second Life - the first attempt at a metaverse, and which raised billions.

Politicians even had campaign events in it.

It was best described by a friend of mine as "Second Life is for people who don't have a first life."
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    kle4 said:

Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Shudder

Because it's a very good shot at POTUS in 2028?

I think RDS is too ambitious for DJT. I can't see any of his horrendous kids doing it. DJTJ is Hunter Biden not on crack. Eric appears to have significant mental impairment. Ivanka is a bit too 'Davos'.

He'll probably go for another slavishly loyal god botherer of limited intellect and ambition.
    rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Twenty years ago, there was Second Life - the first attempt at a metaverse, and which raised billions.

Politicians even had campaign events in it.

It was best described by a friend of mine as "Second Life is for people who don't have a first life."
    There are certainly people who overuse it but then the same could be said of PB where I am sure we can all think of posters who are here almost 24/7 and as I have said SL is still very much live and kicking and has evolved greatly from those early days and I know a few people that make a decent wedge of cash there still
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    edited November 2022
    Yes, the 1.1 for the Crazies taking the House looks free money sadly. But a better value - and way more uplifting - bet is England for the RLWC @ 6. Also, the world's best horse - Flightline - is running in the Breeders today. I'm on that @ 1.45.
    Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Second Life had worse graphics than you remember. It was also full of flying penises.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273
    edited November 2022
    rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Yes, it used to FAANG:

Facebook
    Amazon
    Apple
    Netflix
    Google

The history of leading spreadsheets proves it.

(Well, up until Excel anyway, although... Google Sheets.)
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Second Life had worse graphics than you remember. It was also full of flying penises.
    Well I still log in, here for an example is a photo I did for my cousin of her halloween ball avatar
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

That's not the kind of second life I'd wish for tbh.
  • rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Yes, it used to FAANG:

Facebook
    Amazon
    Apple
    Netflix
    Google

I think you may be burying Netflix prematurely. Its Q3 numbers this year were miles better than expected and the markets reacted very favourably to them. That is on top of a 23% increase in revenue in 2021. I don't think they will be going anywhere for a long time.
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Shudder

I think RDS is too ambitious for DJT. I can't see any of his horrendous kids doing it. DJTJ is Hunter Biden not on crack. Eric appears to have significant mental impairment. Ivanka is a bit too 'Davos'.

He'll probably go for another slavishly loyal god botherer of limited intellect and ambition.
    HYUFD is not eligible though.
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Scotland bottom
    Scotland doesn't really have a national anthem. They just play a Corrie's song, and pretend it's the national anthem.

I'd put the US bottom. The Star Spangled Banner is weak musically, and utter nonsense lyrically.

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

That's not the kind of second life I'd wish for tbh.
    Shrugs its a good way to socialise with friends and family and do stuff together. What I use it for certainly. The flying penises have pretty much been eradicated as they gave people tools to deal with griefers
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    edited November 2022
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Well I still log in, here for an example is a photo I did for my cousin of her halloween ball avatar
    Meta is fascinating. I think Zuckerberg is right that there is no long term future in Web 2.0 style social media community (already declining rapidly amongst the young iirc) and so the metaverse is a pretty good bet.

Whether it is right to bet the whole farm on it as he seems to be doing is another matter.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    The Metaverse sounds like a horrible idea. Real dystopian stuff.

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Yes, it used to FAANG:

Facebook
    Amazon
    Apple
    Netflix
    Google

I think you may be burying Netflix prematurely. Its Q3 numbers this year were miles better than expected and the markets reacted very favourably to them. That is on top of a 23% increase in revenue in 2021. I don't think they will be going anywhere for a long time.
    Netflix though is making a ton of unforced errors, for example cracking down on account sharing which they used to encourage at the same time as jacking up prices. Short term they will make more money however I know a lot of people rethinking their subscriptions.

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Meta is fascinating. I think Zuckerberg is right that there is no long term future in Web 2.0 style social media community (already declining rapidly amongst the young iirc) and so the metaverse is a pretty good bet.

Whether it is right to bet the whole farm on it as he seems to be doing is another matter.

I agree it is much nicer to meet as virtual avatars and do something together than asynchronous posts on facebook with a picture of what you had for breakfast. For example last night there were eight of us on playing cards against humanity cracking jokes enjoying a few drinks while being up to a 1000 miles distant geographically. Last week we had a bowling tournament...etc
    Just realised - no Eddie Butler. Very sad loss.
    edited November 2022
    Talk of Metaverse etc. has got me thinking of the 80+ generation, many of who are excluded from the online world.

Yes, I know there are numerous 80-somethings who are fully PC/Smartphone/Internet literate but the majority aren't. Mostly their initial 'can't see the point' attitude has now morphed into 'I wish I could but I'm too old to learn now'.

So, I'm in my early 60s, what am I about to miss out on because the technology looks too daunting to get involved in?

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Yes, it used to FAANG:

Facebook
    Amazon
    Apple
    Netflix
    Google

I'm not suggesting that it is going out of business, or will cease to be a large and powerful business, I'm merely saying that it's best days - as a stock - are probably behind it.

Content is a tough business, and the hope was that Netflix would monopolize its production and distribution in the 21st Century. Every household - worldwide - would be a Netflix subscriber, and this would mean it had more money to spend on content than anyone else, and would be dominant.

But they've struggled, because Disney and Amazon and Apple all have increasingly impressive streaming offerings. Four years ago, people only had one streaming offering, and it was almost certainly Netflix. Now, I have Disney+ESPN+Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and Apple. (And I pay $5/month for YouTube + YouTube Music.)

If I wanted to save $15/month, it might well be Netflix I lost.
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Martin10 said:

Nigelb said:

Shudder

I have a friend who was with DJTJ at Wharton. He would agree that he's not on *crack*.
    O/T Saw this heap of nothingness in Graun, made me wonder why they waste their money in such drivel:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/05/megathreats-global-leaders-disaster-world

TL-DR: Man who says he predicted the 2008 crash says further shit gonna happen (probably).

Talk of Metaverse etc. has got me thinking of the 80+ generation, many of who are excluded from the online world.

Yes, I know there are numerous 80-somethings who are fully PC/Smartphone/Internet literate but the majority aren't. Mostly their initial 'can't see the point' attitude has now morphed into 'I wish I could but I'm too old to learn now'.

So, I'm in my early 60s, what am I about to miss out on because the technology looks too daunting to get involved in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjFOwyy06g

It is not that hard if you have someone willing to mentor you. I know a lot of for example disabled folk that use second life because it gives them the ability to do stuff they couldn't normally do such as go out dancing. Also some of them like the fact that no one knows of their disability unless they choose to reveal it so they don't (wrongly) get put in a mental silo.
    Pagan2 said:

It is not that hard if you have someone willing to mentor you. I know a lot of for example disabled folk that use second life because it gives them the ability to do stuff they couldn't normally do such as go out dancing. Also some of them like the fact that no one knows of their disability unless they choose to reveal it so they don't (wrongly) get put in a mental silo.
    I can't see the point of Second Life. ;-)

Pagan2 said:

hehe I have much the same attitude to facebook
    Meanwhile, China continues it's covid policies as per https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/05/chinas-unswerving-zero-covid-rules-see-no-let-up

"Health officials in China on Saturday dashed hopes there would be a relaxation of the country’s strict Covid-19 restrictions. At a news conference, they insisted China would “unswervingly” stick to its zero-Covid policy which includes lockdowns, quarantining and rigorous testing aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus.

The announcement follows several days’ speculation that they were considering changing a disease containment policy that has disrupted economic growth and daily life, and is increasingly out of step with the rest of the world."
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Pagan2 said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The ideas are things like history lessons including pupils being immersed in historical situations, or surgeons practicing operations in the metaverse before being let loose on real patients. Whether these will become the norm, I don't know, but it's this type of stuff that has got Meta so worked up

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Pagan2 said:

Perhaps you need to move to the middle of nowheresville Iowa?
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Scotland bottom
    Scotland doesn't really have a national anthem. They just play a Corrie's song, and pretend it's the national anthem.

I'd put the US bottom. The Star Spangled Banner is weak musically, and utter nonsense lyrically.
    The German for me. I lump up whenever I hear it.

(also agree with the positive consensus on the Welsh one)
  • "If you believe in insurrection, I'm not your candidate"

TrumpsTaxes
    @TrumpsTaxes
    ·
    Oct 31

This closing ad for Elaine Luria - in one #VA02, one of the closest House races in the country - is perfect.

https://twitter.com/TrumpsTaxes/status/1587083909971451904
    IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The ideas are things like history lessons including pupils being immersed in historical situations, or surgeons practicing operations in the metaverse before being let loose on real patients. Whether these will become the norm, I don't know, but it's this type of stuff that has got Meta so worked up

You don't need a metaverse for that and in fact I would argue that they are much better handled by stand alone custom built app's. As soon as a metaverse style thing is involved it imposes limitations on what you can do as it has to fit with in the metaverse framework. I have seen some very good educational apps in vr but they didnt need a metaverse to make them useful.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    Andy_JS said:

Read Snow Crash - where the name was invented.

Perhaps someone will listen to Reason….
    IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ohnotnow said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Isn't that what 'Operation' is for?

"If you believe in insurrection, I'm not your candidate"

TrumpsTaxes
    @TrumpsTaxes
    ·
    Oct 31

This closing ad for Elaine Luria - in one #VA02, one of the closest House races in the country - is perfect.

https://twitter.com/TrumpsTaxes/status/1587083909971451904

If you don't believe in insurrection, I struggle to see how you can support the USA.

Andy_JS said:

In Snow crash the real world was the dystopia though just as much if not more so.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612

None of these things requires any actual skills.

It’s about attitude - if you live only in your comfort zone, then everything new is impossible.

Andy_JS said:

The entire book is set in my part of LA.

I've read it half a dozen times:
  • kinabalu said:

Yes, the 1.1 for the Crazies taking the House looks free money sadly.

This is my big bet at the moment.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited November 2022
    On topic: a long piece of US predictions from Andrew Neil, one that might be worth returning to next week to see how he did!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11392027/ANDREW-NEIL-Republicans-poised-victory-midterms-huge-political-crisis-beckons.html

His key prediction is that the Senate will indeed fall to Republican control, with victory in Nevada, and perhaps a few governorships in places as previously Democrat as Oregon. He also highlights a few of the terrible candidates on both sides, for whom the result will be against the expected national swing.

Also that both parties don’t have a clue who to run for the top job, in two years’ time.
  • Carnyx said:

I'm under no illusions the squaddies have always been like that.

I struggle with General Auckinleck and Ritchie competing to see how hard they can tell David Stirling to fuck off, or a trooper on sentry duty telling Stirling (an officer) to fuck off because he tried to play the class card.

Just wasn't like that back then.
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I preferred ready player one (the book) and I think it highlights one thing well which we already saw in second life....real life corps trying to get in on it to make a buck without caring about the people using the world. SL is much better for them mostly having left.

I'm sure the effin' and jeffin' language was near enough authentic.

Loved the anachronistic soundtrack on Blinders. Love it here too.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

My paternal grandfather fought in WW2 and every other word out of his mouth was 'fuck'. The other was 'c*nt'.
    My paternal grandfather fought as a Lt. Colonel in the 8th Army with Monty in the desert as part of REME.

He'd be shocked by it.
  • Just about to watch the final part of SAS Rogue Heroes - thoroughly enjoyable. You can tell it is the Peeky Blinders team when The Damned is the soundtrack to a raid on an airfield!

I'm sure the effin' and jeffin' language was near enough authentic.

Loved the anachronistic soundtrack on Blinders. Love it here too.
    Not my taste, I'm afraid.

It's also lazy writing. I always question it when screenwriters through a few "fucks" in to jazz it up and get the laughs.

I expect the book is better and have asked for that for Christmas.
    Leon said:

It would be nice if England actually had one.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Some secrets should stay so.

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

My paternal grandfather fought as a Lt. Colonel in the 8th Army with Monty in the desert as part of REME.

He'd be shocked by it.
    You do realise (it took me ages to) that in ww2 fiction by the likes of CS Forester when characters say "bucking" or "mucking" it's a euphemism?
    Gosh, the new leader of the French Far Right is only 27 years old! How can you acquire the emotional maturity and empathy for ordinary people that's needed to lead the Far Right at such a tender age?
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Doesn't hold a candle to Gibson's Sprawl books.
  • Voting here in Washington state: I just filled out my ballot, and thought some of you might be interested in the wide range of votes we have to decide on. The ballot began with two "advisory votes", allowing voters to check actions of the state legislature, the first on an increased tax on aviation fuel and the second on requiring "transportation companies" to pay workers compensation premiums.

Then, KIng County asked me for my vote on a "charter amendment", changing the elections for some offices from odd numbered to even numbered years. The county also asked me to approve of an additional property tax to pay for "open spaces".

Next came a vote on the subject of the header, a choice between Democrat Patty Murray and Republican Tiffany Smiley. (I wrote in the name of a prominent Republican.) For the House seat in Congressional district 1, I had a choice between a law-and-order Republican and the incumbent Democrat, Susan DelBene.

In the special election for Secretary of State, I chose the nonpartisan, Julie Anderson, over the Democrat, Steve Hobbs. (That was the only close decision, for me.)

I voted for the Republican in the state senate seat, Michelle Darnell over the incumbent, Demcrat Patty Kuderer. There were two lower house seats in the legislature, where Democrats were running unopposed.

Then there were 12 judicial races. In only one of them was there a choice.

Washington state asks a lot of its voters.

I think this is great. A bit of direct democracy.
  • Voting here in Washington state: I just filled out my ballot, and thought some of you might be interested in the wide range of votes we have to decide on. The ballot began with two "advisory votes", allowing voters to check actions of the state legislature, the first on an increased tax on aviation fuel and the second on requiring "transportation companies" to pay workers compensation premiums.

Then, KIng County asked me for my vote on a "charter amendment", changing the elections for some offices from odd numbered to even numbered years. The county also asked me to approve of an additional property tax to pay for "open spaces".

Next came a vote on the subject of the header, a choice between Democrat Patty Murray and Republican Tiffany Smiley. (I wrote in the name of a prominent Republican.) For the House seat in Congressional district 1, I had a choice between a law-and-order Republican and the incumbent Democrat, Susan DelBene.

In the special election for Secretary of State, I chose the nonpartisan, Julie Anderson, over the Democrat, Steve Hobbs. (That was the only close decision, for me.)

I voted for the Republican in the state senate seat, Michelle Darnell over the incumbent, Demcrat Patty Kuderer. There were two lower house seats in the legislature, where Democrats were running unopposed.

Then there were 12 judicial races. In only one of them was there a choice.

Washington state asks a lot of its voters.

What are your predictions nationwide, Jim?
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Doesn't hold a candle to Gibson's Sprawl books.
    I've read, and enjoyed Gibson.

But I'm afraid to say that on this, I disagree with you. Stephenson's characters are better drawn, his worldview a little more engaging.

Of course, he can't write an ending for toffee (see The Diamond Age for the worst example of this), but I still pickup his books more often than Gibson
  • kle4 said:

Leon said:

I have a secret admiration for the French [anthem]
    Same.

We have that bloody dirge God Save The King.

La Marseillaise Is the only time I envy the French.

It’s why I sing Ou Est La Papier so loud when La Marseillaise is sung.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited November 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Oddly variations on both those words escaped my mouth when that SAS bollocks popped up with a shit version of No More Heroes attached.

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Mods??
    and Rockers?
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Carnyx said:

Peaky Blinders started out with small budget like this.

Rouge Heroes is drippin. Would benefit from the extra budget in places.
This discussion has been closed.