Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Republicans now a 69% betting chance for Senate control – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,760
    Ishmael_Z said:

agingjb2 said:

A Scottish national anthem should set words by Burns, I am sure they will find something good.

As for England, well I am happy enough with Jerusalem, but what else?
    "I vow to thee my country" (perhaps jingoistic like "Land of Hope and Glory:) suffers from the fact that second verse is never remembered (or is regarded as too religious).

Shakespeare? A setting of "This royal throne of kings", perhaps not.

"The Rain It Raineth Every Day." might be the one.

Burns possibilities

Twa wives:

"There was twa wives, and twa witty wives,
    As e'er play'd houghmagandie,
    And they coost oot, upon a time,
    Out o'er a drink o brandy;
    Up Maggie rose, and forth she goes,
    An she leaves auld Mary flytin,
    And she farted by the byre-en'
    For she was gaun a shiten.

She farted by the byre-en',
    She farted by the stable;
    And thick and nimble were her steps
    As fast as she was able:
    Till at yon dyke-back the hurly brak,
    But raxin for some dockins,
    The beans and pease cam down her thighs,
    And she cackit a' her stockins."

Johnie Lad, cock up your beaver:

"When first my brave Johnie lad came to this town,
    He had a blue bonnet that wanted the crown;
    But now he has gotten a hat and a feather,
    Hey, brave Johnie lad, cock up your beaver!
    Cock up your beaver, and cock it fu' sprush,
    We'll over the border, and gie them a brush;
    There's somebody there we'll teach better behaviour,
    Hey, brave Johnie lad, cock up your beaver!"

Take your choice.
    The first is both moving and uplifting. A good choice for a national anthem.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,815
    edited November 2022
    stodge said:

Opinium is out, labour increase lead to 18 (46 28), taking 2 from the LDs otherwise unchanged but Starmer back in the lead by 3 30 27 as best PM...........

That's a solid 15% swing from Conservative to Labour.

Add in the tactical voting swing and you get a Labour majority of over 200 with the Conservatives losing more than two thirds of their seats so not an extinction event but worse than 1997.
    Yes so it depends whether we see swingback towards more normal pastures
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    Martin10 said:

Opinium is out, labour increase lead to 18 (46 28), taking 2 from the LDs otherwise unchanged but Starmer back in the lead by 3 30 27 as best PM...........

Migrants are shoring up the tory core vote
    So they are integrating better than we realise? :smile:
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    To be clear: it does not appear the $8/month blue checkmark actually grants you a blue checkmark. The feature is not working. The one specific feature that he had to get right https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1588980881204838401
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

agingjb2 said:

A Scottish national anthem should set words by Burns, I am sure they will find something good.

"I vow to thee my country" (perhaps jingoistic like "Land of Hope and Glory:) suffers from the fact that second verse is never remembered (or is regarded as too religious).

Burns possibilities

Twa wives:

As fast as she was able:

Take your choice.
    Best versions of Burns are Eddi Reader.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6QPWlnKedfBJ9efypriWSA?si=T3EHYDNcRFervKjWS-T6Ig&utm_source=copy-link

Not really a national anthem though.
    Biggest danger for No10 arguably not Williamson’s conduct — but Jake Berry’s on-the-record statement saying he told Sunak about the complaint

PM appointed Williamson 24hrs later regardless. Same day he said his govt would be run with accountability + integrity from top to bottom https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1588945227511103489
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 46% (+2)
    CON: 28% (=)
    LDM: 8% (-2)
    GRN: 6% (+1)
    SNP: 4% (=)

Via @OpiniumResearch, On 2-4 November,
    Changes w/ 28 October.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_xP said:

Biggest danger for No10 arguably not Williamson’s conduct — but Jake Berry’s on-the-record statement saying he told Sunak about the complaint

PM appointed Williamson 24hrs later regardless. Same day he said his govt would be run with accountability + integrity from top to bottom https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1588945227511103489

It is beginning to rhyme with the Pincher affair that Sunak resigned over.
    ydoethur said:

Martin10 said:

Migrants are shoring up the tory core vote
    So they are integrating better than we realise? :smile:
    Getting on the electoral register is their very first move after landing.
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

agingjb2 said:

Burns possibilities

Twa wives:

As fast as she was able:

Take your choice.
    Seems pretty LGBTQ+ anyway.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    Scott_xP said:

It's worth reading the text exchanges in that thread. They show that Williamson is indeed an obnoxious, unpleasant little man who has become abusive because he couldn't go the the Queen's funeral. A complete tosser. Pity Sunak doesn't think the same.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    If we're doing national anthem nominations, I vote for Dreadzone's "Little Britain" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURJiQQEaQ4
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

stodge said:

Add in the tactical voting swing and you get a Labour majority of over 200 with the Conservatives losing more than two thirds of their seats so not an extinction event but worse than 1997.
    Nice try but Techne and Osmosis not a million miles away from Opinium suggesting Labour are around or just below 50, the Conservatives around or just below 30 and the Liberal Democrats are around or just below 10.

The R&W "Blue Wall" poll confirmed the willingness of large numbers of Labour and LD voters to vote tactically to unseat a sitting Conservative so the base line numbers don't reflect the degree of anti-Conservative sentiment out there at the moment.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458

Martin10 said:

Has anyone ever been to the Pike Hotel in Ibiza by the way

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    agingjb2 said:

This reminds me of - imho - the most beautiful Shakespeare-set-to-music that I've seen in the cinema (sadly low quality 4:3 grab) of "Prosperos Books" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JMP3Li57no

(And nsfw)
    edited November 2022
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Nice try but Techne and Osmosis not a million miles away from Opinium suggesting Labour are around or just below 50, the Conservatives around or just below 30 and the Liberal Democrats are around or just below 10.

The R&W "Blue Wall" poll confirmed the willingness of large numbers of Labour and LD voters to vote tactically to unseat a sitting Conservative so the base line numbers don't reflect the degree of anti-Conservative sentiment out there at the moment.
    Im not sure what i'm 'trying'? The election is 18 months away, if things stay as they are then the result will be a large Lab majority/landslide, if there is swingback as has often, but not always happened then it will be closer but probably a Lab majority of 'normal' size.

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    It's the Mainwaring which he told it.
    New @OpiniumResearch finds over two fifths (45%) of people disapprove of the way Suella Braverman is handling her job as Home Sec with over half (52%) stating her re-appointment was a bad decision.

Immigration soaring up list of priorities - 73% say UK not in control of borders.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1588990020039630848
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Very good essay by Fallows about the Twitter mess.

Twitter Is Our Future
    What's happening to the entire media, in speeded-up time-lapse form.
    https://fallows.substack.com/p/twitter-is-our-future
  • Martin10Martin10 Posts: 142

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    Apparently its where the video for club tropicana was filmed...rooms are around £400 per night just wondering if its worth the money
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

Odd that the swingback Opinium comes in lower than Redfield.

I would have guessed a 31 or 32, so would have been wrong.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,603
    ydoethur said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    For zat pun, you go on zeeeeee liiiiist!!!!
  • Martin10Martin10 Posts: 142
    Scott_xP said:

New @OpiniumResearch finds over two fifths (45%) of people disapprove of the way Suella Braverman is handling her job as Home Sec with over half (52%) stating her re-appointment was a bad decision.

Immigration soaring up list of priorities - 73% say UK not in control of borders.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1588990020039630848

Thats the power of the media for you...but most people dont realise illegal immigration is a drop in the ocean compared to legal immigration...average gammon says im fine if they come in legally...well most immigrants are legal you idiot and you still complain about them

stodge said:

stodge said:

Im not sure what i'm 'trying'? The election is 18 months away, if things stay as they are then the result will be a large Lab majority/landslide, if there is swingback as has often, but not always happened then it will be closer but probably a Lab majority of 'normal' size.
    It seems to me that Sunak is an John Major ‘97 situation - he could win, but not with the Conservative Party he has behind him.

My main surprise is that he took the gig. Ok, become PM, but the inevitable hammering which will also end his career in politics?

ydoethur said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    Are you suggesting I have Madoc ock of myself?
    edited November 2022

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

If we reverse to June/July, Opinium was finding smaller leads mainly due to a lower labour % but the Tory share was sometimes lower than Redfields etc, so its not unusual, you need another opinium to see if the share has indeed stalled or if last weeks plus 6 was an 'overbounce'
    It looks however for now as if 30 is very much upper end, its 27 to 30 with PP and YouGov going lower

stodge said:

stodge said:

It seems to me that Sunak is an John Major ‘97 situation - he could win, but not with the Conservative Party he has behind him.

My main surprise is that he took the gig. Ok, become PM, but the inevitable hammering which will also end his career in politics?
    His best bet imo is to try and claw his way to 35% at a GE and restrict Labour to a strong minority or small majority. I dont see any better than that possible unless Labour implode somehow
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I disagree - the actual unadjusted figure Opinium must have polled would be 2-3 below how they then swung it back, which points to the 29 and 30 corroborate each other whilst Opinium finding just 25 or 26 support as the outlier. Too low by 4-5. The Opinium is older than the osmosis which found 27.

It doesn’t matter in two weeks time as a fresh survey negates any mistake Opinium has made here that should show a more eye catching correction.

I’m calling it an Opinium outlier as 28 swingback is below where it really is.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,142

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

Also odd, and impressive, that multiple polls continue to show the Greens in the mid to high single figures despite them getting absolutely zero coverage and indeed having zero of policy substance in the public domain.

People complain about SKS’ Labour not having enough policies yet. Well compared with the Green Party they are a veritable wonk think tank. Yet 5%, 6%, 7% in some cases.

My supposition is this is continuing lefty rebellion of the BJO variety (though he seems to have gone more Tory recently), plus a base load of environmental worry expressing itself to pollsters.

In an election some of that support will unwind. 3% to Labour perhaps? That makes their lead even more commanding. 1 or 2 to the Lib Dems in tactical Southern battles because the LDs say and do the right things on the environment.

Reform get 3-4% with equally zero coverage. I was expecting to see a big Tory-REF swing off the back of the Manston story but it’s not evident so far.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,876
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    It doesn’t take the Brain (of Morbius) to see that.
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

Also odd, and impressive, that multiple polls continue to show the Greens in the mid to high single figures despite them getting absolutely zero coverage and indeed having zero of policy substance in the public domain.

People complain about SKS’ Labour not having enough policies yet. Well compared with the Green Party they are a veritable wonk think tank. Yet 5%, 6%, 7% in some cases.

My supposition is this is continuing lefty rebellion of the BJO variety (though he seems to have gone more Tory recently), plus a base load of environmental worry expressing itself to pollsters.

In an election some of that support will unwind. 3% to Labour perhaps? That makes their lead even more commanding. 1 or 2 to the Lib Dems in tactical Southern battles because the LDs say and do the right things on the environment.

Reform get 3-4% with equally zero coverage. I was expecting to see a big Tory-REF swing off the back of the Manston story but it’s not evident so far.
    I think the ultra lefties are using the Greens as Spare Labour.
    edited November 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    That pun was not very impressive. It was near torture to read. It was positively Kroll.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    ohnotnow said:

If we're doing national anthem nominations, I vote for Dreadzone's "Little Britain" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURJiQQEaQ4

+1, I’ve got that on vinyl somewhere!
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,876
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    That pun was not very impressive. It was near torture to read. It was positively Kroll.
    No need to go all war lord on me.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    That deserves 100 likes.
    No need to go all war lord on me.
    It was so bad it nearly caused the end of the world. It was just short of The Armageddon Factor.

stodge said:

stodge said:

His best bet imo is to try and claw his way to 35% at a GE and restrict Labour to a strong minority or small majority. I dont see any better than that possible unless Labour implode somehow
    That 35 scenario would be remarkable come back, considering two things, the the longest recession ever taking us to polling day, and after all this blue on blue blaming of each other the voters may regard the blue team as responsible for the pain. Truth is it’s a wild international situation Sunak’s government should not take all the blame for - but Truss and Sunak may have overdone it blaming their predecsooors. Twice on the threshold of Downing Street Sunak said Truss mistakes, in voters minds do Boris and Truss own it all, or do they associate mistakes = The Conservatives?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,263

stodge said:

stodge said:

I'd have taken it in his position; it was the only chance he'd ever get to be PM. And there's still a small chance Labour could implode before the next GE.

stodge said:

stodge said:

Major must be the ex-PM whose stock with the public has risen the most of any in my lifetime.

Thatcher always divided the room and that remained steady after her defenestration. Blair did a kind of curve: down massively after he left, then partially recovering up to today. Brown’s reputation has slowly declined. Cameron’s fell off a cliff. May’s has slowly risen. Johnson went low during his premiership and has stayed there. Truss is just bumping along the bottom. But Major is widely liked and respected by all except the ERG despite going down to a historical landslide defeat in 1997.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,993
    Scott_xP said:

To be clear: it does not appear the $8/month blue checkmark actually grants you a blue checkmark. The feature is not working. The one specific feature that he had to get right https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1588980881204838401

It's also a massive fight for not much money. $8 per month * 12 months * 400,000 blue ticks * let's say 50% compliance. That's $20m a year on a company with revenue of $5bn.
    Martin10 said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    Apparently its where the video for club tropicana was filmed...rooms are around £400 per night just wondering if its worth the money
    It says here it's a hotel cum party venue. Personally I think my hotel cum party days are behind me. But if it's that cheap why not suck it and see?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Just crunched some numbers.

Gas usage October - down 75% from last year.

Electricity usage - down 50%.

That's despite the fact I'm now working from home.

That's all about not needing the heating.

Still haven't turned it on, for the matter of that. It's just on frost protection.

We've already had a frost here in Dorset. 11 October 2022 @ 05:54 -0.4°C
    Had a couple in Wilts too. Definite car scraping.
    And I haven't had one! Weird! Urban heat plume effect?
    Local conditions, clear sky in the northerly a few weeks back. Also our house sits in a frost hollow (cold air seeps down the shallow fields to the south).
    Ditto here. We're in a pronounced frost hollow, just off the Shaftesbury escarpment (famous for the Hovis advert, 'ee by gum')
    Nice! Love the advert, always used to think it was in Yorkshire for some reason. Also the hill itself disappoints except from certain angles, but it’s still great.
    Ridley Scott
    Radiation cooling the clear night before last here - hoar frost on cars and vegetation and a thin ice crust on a bucket of rainwater.
    Sandpit said:

ohnotnow said:

+1, I’ve got that on vinyl somewhere!
    Hah - I've still got my 12" of it kicking about somewhere. It's a great track.

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

I think the ultra lefties are using the Greens as Spare Labour.
    Yes I think it’s a coalition of ultra lefties and environmentally worried people from across the spectrum.
  • stodge said:

Since its methodology change last February Opinium takes account of predicted swingback. On the basis of its previous methodology Opinium would show a Labour lead in the 22% - 25% range.
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

Those are all very good points. Compared to other pollsters LLG right now this 60 is not large, but we have a feel post Starmergasm how interchangeable it can be on election night, where Labour need a bit of LD to take scalps Starmergasm suggests it will get it.

stodge said:

stodge said:

That 35 scenario would be remarkable come back, considering two things, the the longest recession ever taking us to polling day, and after all this blue on blue blaming of each other the voters may regard the blue team as responsible for the pain. Truth is it’s a wild international situation Sunak’s government should not take all the blame for - but Truss and Sunak may have overdone it blaming their predecsooors. Twice on the threshold of Downing Street Sunak said Truss mistakes, in voters minds do Boris and Truss own it all, or do they associate mistakes = The Conservatives?
    It would but he's got to aim for something rather than just drifting to disaster. If the switchers remain with Lab he loses regardless so he needs to shore up the 80-85% remaining of the Boris coalition, half of whom are currently not inclined to bother.
    The closer they keep it the easier 2029 becomes cos Labour will be as popular as haemmoroids by 2025/6
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,263
    TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Major must be the ex-PM whose stock with the public has risen the most of any in my lifetime.

Thatcher always divided the room and that remained steady after her defenestration. Blair did a kind of curve: down massively after he left, then partially recovering up to today. Brown’s reputation has slowly declined. Cameron’s fell off a cliff. May’s has slowly risen. Johnson went low during his premiership and has stayed there. Truss is just bumping along the bottom. But Major is widely liked and respected by all except the ERG despite going down to a historical landslide defeat in 1997.
    True, that is.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

It's also a massive fight for not much money. $8 per month * 12 months * 400,000 blue ticks * let's say 50% compliance. That's $20m a year on a company with revenue of $5bn.
    He won't get anything like that number.

stodge said:

Since its methodology change last February Opinium takes account of predicted swingback. On the basis of its previous methodology Opinium would show a Labour lead in the 22% - 25% range.
    Does that undersell how interesting Opinium have been though? Historically there often is swingback. Throughout the era of the Crimes of Boris the Opinium swingback couldn’t give Labour a lead bigger than 4.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

Outlier? Labour actually increasing their lead in that poll. File in the bin, for now.

stodge said:

True, ok then replace 'swingback' with 'movement' - i mean its not going to sit still for 18 months any more than it did 95 to 97. It could get much worse of course
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

stodge said:

stodge said:

I'd have taken it in his position; it was the only chance he'd ever get to be PM. And there's still a small chance Labour could implode before the next GE.
    Agreed. He is PM. Not a phrase that one could apportion to many people in history.

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

Outlier? Labour actually increasing their lead in that poll. File in the bin, for now.
    Its a no change poll really, recycling of 2% from LD to Lab, all MoE stuff. Next one will show if movement has ceased or reversed or goes on
  • Martin10 said:

"Club Tropicana drinks are free" Wham, actually they were 15-euro pre covid.
    The Freddie Mercury suite is now a nightclub that I went to but could still here at 3:00am from my room. Music was awful but I did try. They have a Director of Vibe to get the party going round the pool and a DJ poolside. Definitely memorable to swim in the Club Tropicana pool and sit at the pool bar.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Scott_xP said:

UPDATE: No10 not saying if Gavin Williamson retains the confidence of Rishi Sunak tonight. Current position is no comment. https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1588945227511103489

Gavin Williamson is one of those odd people that you get in politics sometimes that just keep coming back time after time after time like a turd you can never quite flush away...
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

The strange thing about the whole twitter saga is we are judging Musk on his first week in the job.

Twitter was stagnant and losing money for years, despite an active userbase and no serious competition (instagram doesn't do the same thing, facebook doesn't do the same thing, ticktock doesn't do the same thing etc).

It's what he does with it over the next couple of years that interests me. Number one on my list would be integrating micropayments so, say, a journalist could tweet a link to their latest substack and you could pay 2p to read it.

Facebook has been a dead platform for years, Instagram is utterly passé now. And yet nobody is piling on Zuckerberg for having the most powerful media platforms of our time and blowing it all by driving away most of the userbase with pointless algos and tweaks that make the platforms less and less desirable places to be.

I will judge Musk on where Twitter is in a year or two's time. Zoom out.

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

Its a no change poll really, recycling of 2% from LD to Lab, all MoE stuff. Next one will show if movement has ceased or reversed or goes on
    True. But other firms have shown Sunak Honeymoon Bounce continue to increase the party share, so Anabob is right to call this brakes on poll the outlier in the bunch.
    edited November 2022

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 28 October.

The news cycle seems to have decided Sunak’s honeymoon is over: Braverman, Sunak, recession, tax rises etc. So I wouldn’t be surprised if polls follow suit.

It’s a dangerous time for Labour though. For the next 2 years they’re going to be seen as the likely next government, so they’re going to get a lot of scrutiny. The Tories facing almost certain defeat may well opt for a nihilistic “they’re all as bad as each other” approach which is usually damaging for opposition.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    ohnotnow said:

Second Light is a brilliant album: a profound exploration of Englishness in a modern, multi-cultural context. It deserves to be much better known.
  • stodge said:

True, ok then replace 'swingback' with 'movement' - i mean its not going to sit still for 18 months any more than it did 95 to 97. It could get much worse of course
    Though some 'swingback' - compared with two weeks ago - has already happened. How much more is to be reasonably expected? To what extent is a Sunak honeymoon bounce propping up the Tory vote share?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited November 2022
    I actually looked at the prices when I went shopping in Aldi, today.

Your bog standard, regular 800g wholemeal hovis loaf, which has hovered between 75p-£1 for a decade, has jumped up to £1.45.

That’s now 3.5x the 800g uber-basic chorleywood loaf, at 39p, itself up from 19-29p(ish).

This ain’t just an Aldi thing - similar prices across the other main supermarkets.

People really are getting poorer.
  • Sunak has clearly stopped the Tory bleeding. Beyond that, though, it’s hard to say. Starmer is back in front of him on best PM in tonight’s Opinium.

I still reckon post-Xmas is the time to start taking the polls seriously again.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    France a little unimpressive
    kyf_100 said:

On current trajectory, the same place as Zune
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

Martin10 said:

Don’t tell him, PB!
    It says here it's a hotel cum party venue. Personally I think my hotel cum party days are behind me. But if it's that cheap why not suck it and see?
    If it is the location for Club Tropicana, at least the drinks are free.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

Sunak has clearly stopped the Tory bleeding. Beyond that, though, it’s hard to say. Starmer is back in front of him on best PM in tonight’s Opinium.

Presumably they don't do a swingback adjustment on the better PM figures?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Scott_xP said:

kyf_100 said:

On current trajectory, the same place as Zune
    I think you're somewhat missing the point, about not extrapolating a great deal from one week.
    edited November 2022
    kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

The strange thing about the whole twitter saga is we are judging Musk on his first week in the job.

Twitter was stagnant and losing money for years, despite an active userbase and no serious competition (instagram doesn't do the same thing, facebook doesn't do the same thing, ticktock doesn't do the same thing etc).

It's what he does with it over the next couple of years that interests me. Number one on my list would be integrating micropayments so, say, a journalist could tweet a link to their latest substack and you could pay 2p to read it.

Facebook has been a dead platform for years, Instagram is utterly passé now. And yet nobody is piling on Zuckerberg for having the most powerful media platforms of our time and blowing it all by driving away most of the userbase with pointless algos and tweaks that make the platforms less and less desirable places to be.

The failure of Facebook and the impending failure of Instagram are quite startling

If you go on Facebook it actually LOOKS old-fashioned. Cluttered, stale and annoying. They must surely know this at Zuckerberg House, yet they have done nothing to address the problem. Nor have they launched any new social media, as far as I can see

They've taken the money, complacently. It is an IBM in the making. Perhaps even a Kodak

edited November 2022
    https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1589003777016991745?t=SCn8AXh3ffURRODSCuhoHg&s=19

50 to 27, lab down 1 Tory no change, Starmer leads by 5 as best PM 39 to 34

Lab 50
    Con 27
    LD 7
    SNP 4
    Green 3
    New polling with fieldwork conducted 1-3 November – just over a week after Rishi Sunak’s takeover sees Labour’s voting intention lead over the Conservatives remaining considerable, at 23 points. Changes below are since our prior poll with fieldwork 26th-27th October. https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1589004500920324096/photo/1

stodge said:

stodge said:

It would but he's got to aim for something rather than just drifting to disaster. If the switchers remain with Lab he loses regardless so he needs to shore up the 80-85% remaining of the Boris coalition, half of whom are currently not inclined to bother.
    The closer they keep it the easier 2029 becomes cos Labour will be as popular as haemmoroids by 2025/6
    If I was Team Sunak I wouldn’t even poll watch - just as a football team takes each week as it comes and aim to win the weeks and the set piece events.

I don’t think they need a budget that’s all about QT and pulling money into government coffers, a range of “austerity” headlines next day won’t be helpful in the bigger picture becuase early impressions do last. They need the budget to produce “looks after the most vulnerable” headlines, as contrast to the Trussterfuck budget, and neuter labours attack line.

And there’s a range of policy they can easily deliver improvements, not least the 4% processing figure, but ambulance waiting times, medical appointment waiting times, getting to see a doctor waiting times, start ups, exports - just improve things and the polls take care of themselves.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Pulling together the Gavin Williamson and Club Tropicana discussions:

Pack your bags
    And leave tonight

Labour remain in a position higher than polling leads seen at the end section of the Truss administration. https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1589004507144331265/photo/1
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Leon said:

France a little unimpressive

Is this a sporting comment, or a general one?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited November 2022
    kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

The massive media barrage of negativity and pressure on advertisers, is being very carefully organised, especially because of the US election next week. There’s a lot of people who benefited from Twitter as it was, and don’t like the change of management. As you say, judge everything a year from now.
  • Were the Shropshire North by election taking place today - rather than at the end of 2021 - it seems likely that Labour would be in much more serious contention to win the seat. The case for pro- LD tactical voting would be much weaker than it appeared at the time.

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1589003777016991745?t=SCn8AXh3ffURRODSCuhoHg&s=19

Lab 50
    Con 27
    LD 7
    SNP 4
    Green 3

I’m still calling the Opinium the outlier, Obviously with a tad less credibility with another honeymoon busting poll.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

France a little unim
    pressive

Is this a sporting comment, or a general one?
    Sporting. Big fan of the country

I rather like the French people, too. They are much less rude and arrogant than they used to be

Accepting the end of French language supremacy has been good for them

Were the Shropshire North by election taking place today - rather than at the end of 2021 - it seems likely that Labour would be in much more serious contention to win the seat. The case for pro- LD tactical voting would be much weaker than it appeared at the time.

That was late in December - I remember mopping pizza off the ceiling next day before travelling to Yorkshire 🤦‍♀️

I guess I’ll never forget my first political betting win.

Sunak has clearly stopped the Tory bleeding. Beyond that, though, it’s hard to say. Starmer is back in front of him on best PM in tonight’s Opinium.

Presumably they don't do a swingback adjustment on the better PM figures?
    I suspect they do. On basis they had Truss and Sunak ahead of Starmer when other firms put them behind. But don’t know for certain.
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

The massive media barrage of negativity and pressure on advertisers, is being very carefully organised, especially because of the US election next week. There’s a lot of people who benefited from Twitter as it was, and don’t like the change of management. As you say, judge everything a year from now.
    Or it could be that advertisers had a big meeting with Musk and said "will you offer us the same level of brand safety as previously" and Musk said "lol no" and advertisers went "Fuck that then" and pulled advertising.

Imagining in some "Big Woke" conspiracy against Musk brings some people comfort because they can't face up to the idea he has no idea how to run a media company who's primary business is selling advertising space.
    He can afford to bleed money for a while, however

Arguably, all this kerfuffle has shown how important Twitter is, and how he was right to pay $44bn
  • https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1589003777016991745?t=SCn8AXh3ffURRODSCuhoHg&s=19

Lab 50
    Con 27
    LD 7
    SNP 4
    Green 3

I’m still calling the Opinium the outlier, Obviously with a tad less credibility with another honeymoon busting poll.
    The Wikiline is still tending red down, blue up.

However.

The Sunak Honeymoon Bounce (ooer missus) might have passed the peak of its passion. The trend that set in last summer would point to C30 L42 as about par, and Rishi isn't quite up to that yet.

And part of the reason for swingback is that governments in control of events put pain in years 1 and 2 of their term, followed by pleasure in years 3 and 4. (Kinky). Covid, Ukraine, Brexit and utter incompetence have meant that this government doesn't have that option.
    Alistair said:

Imagining in some "Big Woke" conspiracy against Musk brings some people comfort because they can't face up to the idea he has no idea how to run a media company who's primary business is selling advertising space.

He doesn't understand what he bought. He will play with it until it is broken.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    ping said:

I actually looked at the prices when I went shopping in Aldi, today.

Your bog standard, regular 800g wholemeal hovis loaf, which has hovered between 75p-£1 for a decade, has jumped up to £1.45.

That’s now 3.5x the 800g uber-basic chorleywood loaf, at 39p, itself up from 19-29p(ish).

This ain’t just an Aldi thing - similar prices across the other main supermarkets.

People really are getting poorer.

I've been trying to find the chart on wheat prices. I saw someone remark that prices are now back to where they were twelve months ago but that may just be the US.
  • barrykennabarrykenna Posts: 206
    edited November 2022

Were the Shropshire North by election taking place today - rather than at the end of 2021 - it seems likely that Labour would be in much more serious contention to win the seat. The case for pro- LD tactical voting would be much weaker than it appeared at the time.

That was late in December - I remember mopping pizza off the ceiling next day before travelling to Yorkshire 🤦‍♀️

I guess I’ll never forget my first political betting win.
    Polling Day was 16th December.Based on the results at GEs 2010 - 2019 , Labour could now reasonably think in terms of a vote share there of circa 40% - no need to switch to LDs.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

Or it could be that advertisers had a big meeting with Musk and said "will you offer us the same level of brand safety as previously" and Musk said "lol no" and advertisers went "Fuck that then" and pulled advertising.

Arguably, all this kerfuffle has shown how important Twitter is, and how he was right to pay $44bn
    Everyone is just enjoying dunking on bad ideas man.

Everyday now I log on to see what the new bad idea is. Maybe he'll post another meme grabbed from a far-right site. Or this time it will be gross violation of employment law. Everyday is a glorious suprise.
    Tomorrow’s @ObserverUK: Nurses across the UK vote to launch strike action over pay

#TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1589009078197837825/photo/1
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

UPDATE: No10 not saying if Gavin Williamson retains the confidence of Rishi Sunak tonight. Current position is no comment. https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1588945227511103489

Gavin Williamson is one of those odd people that you get in politics sometimes that just keep coming back time after time after time like a turd you can never quite flush away...
    Similes don't come more original than that. you must be very proud.
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

Everyone is just enjoying dunking on bad ideas man.

Everyday now I log on to see what the new bad idea is. Maybe he'll post another meme grabbed from a far-right site. Or this time it will be gross violation of employment law. Everyday is a glorious suprise.
    I sense your pain
  • Scott_xP said:

Alistair said:

From his point of view, Twitter is a medium to speak, because that's what he does.

The idea that most of its value is as a medium to listen just isn't on his radar.
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

Twitter just shows we need a twitter, not the particular flavour Musk now owns. It's a shame Mastodon is such a mess, but there's no reasonit can't be replaced by a workable open source alternative. There is a non zero chance that Musk has cooked $44bn down to $0.
  • novanova Posts: 525

Lab 50
    Con 27
    LD 7
    SNP 4
    Green 3

Because Opinium is lower? Since their change of methodology they've been consistently lower with Labour leads - their 18% would be in the 20s with most other polling companies.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

There's another aspect here; Musk famously does not use advertising (at least, traditional adverts), and allegedly dislikes advertisers. Instead, he relies on contagious word-of-mouth and hype. It has worked well for him.

Yet the business he has just bought relies on advertisers for much of its revenue. It might be that he simply does not understand 'traditional' advertising and the adverts industry, and that has led him to make some rather significant early strategic mistakes.
    Rishi Sunak Urged To Sack Sir Gavin Williamson Over Abusive Texts To Former Chief Whip

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rishi-sunak-urged-sack-gavin-williamson-over-abusive-texts_uk_6366d248e4b05f221e7a95b9
    EXCL - Dominic Raab will bring back the Bill of Rights to crack down on Channel migrant crossings.

It will be back in Parliament within weeks.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20336773/dominic-raab-bill-of-rights-illegal-immigration/
  • nova said:

Lab 50
    Con 27
    LD 7
    SNP 4
    Green 3

Because Opinium is lower? Since their change of methodology they've been consistently lower with Labour leads - their 18% would be in the 20s with most other polling companies.
    Indeed. Redfield & Wilton looks more likely to be the outlier.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

Musk may have a genius plan for twitter, or he may stumble across one accidentally, but at the moment it looks like the most likely outcome is that he kills it, and switches all the servers off after losing interest and tiring of losing more money on it.

If I'd loaned him money to help him buy it I'd be nervously checking the terms of those loans very carefully now.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Scott_xP said:

Alistair said:

In his defence I've definitely read articles (albeit a few years old) that the founders and runners of twitter didn't seem to understand what they'd created or what to do with it either.
This discussion has been closed.