Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters make it a 64% chance that Truss won’t survive 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited October 2022
    I could live to regret this, but..

Laying Penny Mordaunt for next con leader at ~4/1 looks like a decent bet to me.

One failed leadership campaign and one decent commons performance does not a heavyweight make.

This is no time for an amateur.
  • Options
    So, do we think the last 90 minutes have made things:
    (a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,569

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16s
    Liz Truss leaves the Chamber. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.

In fairness Hodges is always writing this. The guy needs a valium.
    If the PM has left him any?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,553
    Christopher Hope📝
    @christopherhope
    ·
    7m
    👀

NEW A meeting of the 1922 executives is now getting underway in the Palace of Westminster.
    The leaership timetable is not on the agenda.
    But one attendee told me: "I would not want to prejudge what they are going to decide."
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

(a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?

(b)
  • Options
    Taz said:

Liz Truss does a runner once Jezza H concludes.

"No interviews!"
  • Options

(a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?

Hopefully terminal in a political sense
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

Off-topic, but a reminder of the challenges of 'levelling up' (remember that?): In Walsall, there is a difference of almost thirty years in life expectancy between the poor and well-off parts of the borough. Just staggering:

https://twitter.com/ahawksbee/status/1581904078040223744

There are parts of London where you can see those differences within 50m.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,533
    edited October 2022

Now very obvious why Hunt took what everyone thought was a crazy decision to saddle himself to Truss.

It has allowed him to show why he should be officially made PM.

I don’t think it will be Hunt, unless he can somehow keep Truss hanging on until the early part of next year. Another Chancellor won’t go down well.

He is however going to be a powerful figure in whatever government comes out of this.
  • Options

The conservative party could do worse than appoint Hunt as PM

As they’ve proven already twice over
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

(a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?

B- Serious questions which need some form of answer.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,071
    Scott_xP said:

Labour leads by 36%.

Largest lead for ANY party with ANY polling company since October 1997.

Westminster VI (16 Oct.):

Labour 56% (+3)
    Conservative 20% (-4)
    Lib Dems 11% (-2)
    Green 5% (+2)
    SNP 4% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 1% (-2)

Changes +/- 13 Oct.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-16-october-2022 https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582038729694191616/photo/1

That has the SNP as the official opposition.
  • Options
    ihuntihunt Posts: 146
    ping said:

Laying Penny Mordaunt for next con leader at ~4/1 looks like a decent bet to me.

One failed leadership campaign and one decent commons performance does not a heavyweight make.

agreed this is a tough time for any leader...Hunt would be much better
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,412
    At least the new PM HAS to get a boost, right? Right?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited October 2022

Penny PM/Hunt CoE and General Election pre-announced as mid-late 2023. Probably their best chance IMHO.

I agree. Penny would probably save more seats for the Tories. Hunt is a steady hand for CotE.

Edit: silly typo
  • Options

(a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?

(b)
    Far far worse.

The headlines tonight will "She's not under a desk" accompanied by a photo of her vacant, strange smirky face sitting next to the PM.

I said she would go by lunchtime. Obviously wrong now. But I would be staggered if she makes it to PMQs.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    36 point Labour lead with Redfield & Wilton

Lab 56%
    Con 20%
    LD 11%
    Grn 5%
    SNP 4%
    Ref 2%
    oth 1%
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,257
    💥NEW @IpsosUK - only 16% now say the Conservatives are fit to govern. This has halved since this time last year and lower than Labour has scored whilst in Opposition. Interesting Labour's numbers have not moved much.
    https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/labour-takes-lead-party-best-policies-economy-first-time-15-years https://twitter.com/CameronGarrett_/status/1582040127718625281/photo/1
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    Rumours on Twitter that Truss has gone to Ukraine
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,184
    Scott_xP said:

💥 New @RedfieldWilton poll puts Labour *36 points* head of the Tories - largest lead for any party recorded by any pollster since October 1997:

Labour: 56% (+3)
    Conservative: 20% (-4)
    Liberal Democrats: 11% (-2)
    Green: 5% (+2)

Remarkably big score for the Tories – a fifth of the country claim to still support them. I hadn't realised the circus population was that large.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Labour leads by 36%.

Largest lead for ANY party with ANY polling company since October 1997.

Westminster VI (16 Oct.):

Labour 56% (+3)
    Conservative 20% (-4)
    Lib Dems 11% (-2)
    Green 5% (+2)
    SNP 4% (–)
    Reform UK 2% (–)
    Other 1% (-2)

Changes +/- 13 Oct.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-16-october-2022 https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582038729694191616/photo/1

Yikes
    i imagine of that 20% who still support the tories half of them are senile.....
  • Options
    What *that* @RedfieldWilton poll could look like in a General Election:

LAB: 515 (+313)
    LDM: 47 (+36)
    SNP: 42 (-6)
    CON: 22 (-343)
    PLC: 4 (=)
    GRN: 1 (=)

Labour Majority of 380.
    Changes w/ GE2019. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1582039734846574592/photo/1
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    16s
    Liz Truss leaves the Chamber. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.

In fairness Hodges is always writing this. The guy needs a valium.
    If the PM has left him any?
    Ask the Health Secretary if she has any spare in her cupboard.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Off-topic, but a reminder of the challenges of 'levelling up' (remember that?): In Walsall, there is a difference of almost thirty years in life expectancy between the poor and well-off parts of the borough. Just staggering:

Almost certainly complete nonsense btw. The difference rich to poor area (London vs NE) is a measly three years

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/bulletins/lifeexpectancyforlocalareasoftheuk/between2001to2003and2017to2019

The shocker is *healthy* LE but even here the spread is 18 years not 30, Blackpool to Rutland (males)

https://www.health.org.uk/evidence-hub/health-inequalities/map-of-healthy-life-expectancy-at-birth

It is possible that zooming in on Walsall gives a spread of 10x the nation overall, but I hae me doots.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

Driver said:

AlistairM said:

Penny looks incredibly serious every time she explains why Truss isn't there. It doesn't look made up. One really hopes it is not something serious.

I'm not watching, so...

"every time"? How many opposition MPs have wasted their question by repeating a question someone else has asked?
    About eleven of them.

Which was doubly stupid because that gave Mordaunt an easy answer. When there were different questions, like Johnson's superb 'will the PM not take further part in economic decision making' she found it far, far tougher.
    Fucking hell. I mean, I know the quality of Labour backbenchers isn't great, because these are the people who could stomach running in support of Corbyn in 2019, but come on...
    It wasn't just them, the SNP were as bad.
    Oh, well that's taken as read. I don't expect anything from a bunch of separatists who don't even want to be there and are only there to cause trouble.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,184
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

Hostile from Redwood

Hardly surprising - he hates IR35 and the consequences of the 2021 changes. Without that reversal he probably would have been happy.
    Well on that one point he is right – IR35 is a complete disaster that should never have been allowed to enter the statute
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

I’m not usually one to chime in on amateur diagnosis, but I think she might have had a panic attack earlier and doesn’t want people to know. I suffer from anxiety quite badly (hence why I’m not often on here) and she looks like she’s crashing off an adrenaline surge. That’s exactly how I look when I’ve had a panic attack. The blinking is because you’re trying to stay awake. You’re not taking anything in when you’re in that state. I can’t stand her policies but that’s a bloody awful state to be in if that is indeed what has happened.

Commiserations. I sadly know all too well what a panic attack is like.

Not sure about Truss, but it would not be surprising given the last few days. Lack of sleep and massive amounts of caffeine wont be helping.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,980

https://ria.ru/20221017/samolet-1824698314.html

'Russia's Defense Ministry: "while climbing to perform a training flight from the military airfield of the Southern Military District, a Su-34 aircraft crashed. The plane crashed in the city of Yeisk" "According to the report of the ejected pilots, the cause of the plane crash was the ignition of one of the engines during takeoff. At the crash site of the Su-34 in the courtyard of one of the residential quarters, the plane's fuel caught fire"'
  • Options

Unless she’s invented teleportation I don’t think that has happened…
  • Options

kinabalu said:

The "tory mortgage premium". That's good. I like that.

Its trite nonsense. Especially as the very statement/action she's critiquing is predicted to drastically cut back likely rate rises.
    Shes better than Dodds though. But Burgon would be better than Dodds. Or Sultana. Or anyone
    Trite nonsense is often effective.

This one, however, risks being a major hostage to fortune.
  • Options
    ping said:

I'm sure that was said about another politician at some point... how did that work out?
  • Options
    Headline – biggest polling lead for 25 yrs – obscures worse figures within:
    - Tories (16%) losing to Don't Know (17%)
    - Gvt competence at -60 (67% anti, only 7% pro)
    - Truss' personal rating is -61 (70% disapprove, only 9% approve)
    - Preference for Starmer (60%) over Truss (13%) https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1582038729694191616
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Scott_xP said:

Labour Majority of 380.
    Changes w/ GE2019. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1582039734846574592/photo/1

Lib Dems as HMLO. What a turnaround from a few years ago that would be!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,435
    edited October 2022

kinabalu said:

Its trite nonsense. Especially as the very statement/action she's critiquing is predicted to drastically cut back likely rate rises.
    Shes better than Dodds though. But Burgon would be better than Dodds. Or Sultana. Or anyone
    All soundbites are to some extent. But what Labour need to do is put this on the Tories so it sticks, just as the Tories (with far less justification) did with Labour and the global financial crisis. And I think this phrase has potential for this. That's why I liked it. We need people thinking for years to come, "I'm paying more on my mortgage because of the tories".
  • Options

(a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?

(b)
    Far far worse.

The headlines tonight will "She's not under a desk" accompanied by a photo of her vacant, strange smirky face sitting next to the PM.

I said she would go by lunchtime. Obviously wrong now. But I would be staggered if she makes it to PMQs.

keep her there as long as possible....she is a one person wrecking machine for the tories
  • Options
    ihunt said:

(a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?

(b)
    Far far worse.

keep her there as long as possible....she is a one person wrecking machine for the tories
    That's why she wont be allowed to last. Agent Truss has been rumbled.
  • Options

So that heavily blinking person sat next to Hunt during his speech a few minutes ago was a malfuctioning robot, not the PM?

Would explain a lot.
  • Options

Unless she’s invented teleportation I don’t think that has happened…
    It would get her out of PMQs.
  • Options

Now very obvious why Hunt took what everyone thought was a crazy decision to saddle himself to Truss.

It has allowed him to show why he should be officially made PM.

I don’t think it will be Hunt, unless he can somehow keep Truss hanging on until the early part of next year. Another Chancellor won’t go down well.

He is however going to be a powerful figure in whatever government comes out of this.
    seriously who would you want in a crisi..Hunt or the untested Mordaunt...i know who i would rather have
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

All soundbites are to some extent. But what Labour need to do is put this on the Tories so it sticks, just as the Tories (with far less justification) did with Labour and the global financial crisis. And I think this phrase has potential for this. That's why I liked it. We need people thinking for years to come, "I'm paying more on my mortgage because of the tories".
    Quite. the dementia tax was not in fact a tax, and not in fact on dementia.
  • Options
    These figures are just bonkers. Half of *2019 Con voters* now rate Starmer as the best PM option - up 18 points in *four days*. https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582041482038763527
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

💥 New @RedfieldWilton poll puts Labour *36 points* head of the Tories - largest lead for any party recorded by any pollster since October 1997:

Labour: 56% (+3)
    Conservative: 20% (-4)
    Liberal Democrats: 11% (-2)
    Green: 5% (+2)

Remarkably big score for the Tories – a fifth of the country claim to still support them. I hadn't realised the circus population was that large.
    The local by election results of the last 3 weeks should show you the Tory vote isnt going to just dissolve. I'd expect even right now they'd get over 25% in an actual GE. There is enough fear and hatred of Labour where the Tories are the only alternative to drive nose peg voting
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Eagle’s numbers seem to have overlooked that 19% tax was already in the plan from 2024 and now rises to 20%. That move by Hunt helps balance the books.
  • Options
    Kevin Schofield
    @KevinASchofield
    ·
    31m
    Liz Truss looks utterly broken as chancellor Jeremy Hunt, standing less than two feet away, sets fire to the entire economic strategy on which she was elected prime minister six weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1582034376195723264
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    rcs1000 said:

SBK on oddschecker has just gone 1/20 for Truss to leave in 2022...

My 2-1 on her staying to year end might turn out to be one of the worst tips in PB history.

(Although @Roger's "No" probably tops it :smile: )
    Honourable mention for BJO: EICIPM, and SKSWNBPM.

OK. He might yet be right about the second, but it’s looking increasingly unlikely.
  • Options

So that heavily blinking person sat next to Hunt during his speech a few minutes ago was a malfuctioning robot, not the PM?

Would explain a lot.
    She looked like she was struggling to keep her eyes open. Possibly not slept in days. She needs to go but she also has my sympathy as it must be terrible to be in that position. To want the top job but then immediately finding yourself manifestly incapable of it. For her own health now more than anything else she should step down. She might get quite a bit of sympathy if she held her hand up now.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

These figures are just bonkers. Half of *2019 Con voters* now rate Starmer as the best PM option - up 18 points in *four days*. https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582041482038763527

Best choice compared to Truss? I'm amazed its that low.
  • Options
    ping said:

In all reality, the next PM is not going to be doing much that isn’t signed off three times by the cabinet and the Chancellor. They are going to be there to give an air of competence, to look the part and to explain and sell policy to the British people.

The party is too divided and the economic situation too critical for the PM to be doing much else.

I think Penny, with Hunt behind her, has a decent shout at it to be honest.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,059

Scott_xP said:

Labour Majority of 380.

Lib Dems as HMLO. What a turnaround from a few years ago that would be!
    JUst out of interest, what happens if the SNP and LDs get exactly the same number of seats? Do they take it in turns?
  • Options

One consequence of the last few days is that a future Starmer government is going to come under huge pressure for a rejoin referendum. The Brexit / Singapore-on-Thames dream is now dead in the water.

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
  • Options
    Mason Greenwood remanded.
  • Options
    First clue that your's truly had, that Penny Mordaunt was truly superior to Liz Truss, was at the Accession Council of HM's Privy Council.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Like I said, it's a major hostage to fortune - eveyone knows mortgage rates have been too low for too long. If they go up again once Sir Keir is in...
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346

OnboardG1 said:

I’m not usually one to chime in on amateur diagnosis, but I think she might have had a panic attack earlier and doesn’t want people to know. I suffer from anxiety quite badly (hence why I’m not often on here) and she looks like she’s crashing off an adrenaline surge. That’s exactly how I look when I’ve had a panic attack. The blinking is because you’re trying to stay awake. You’re not taking anything in when you’re in that state. I can’t stand her policies but that’s a bloody awful state to be in if that is indeed what has happened.

Commiserations. I sadly know all too well what a panic attack is like.

Not sure about Truss, but it would not be surprising given the last few days. Lack of sleep and massive amounts of caffeine wont be helping.
    Two weeks ago I was off sick with anxiety thanks to two months of unpleasant personal circumstances landing on my head. Caffeine was definitely my enemy. I had too much yesterday as well which wasn’t smart.
  • Options

ihunt said:

(a) Better, or
    (b) Worse
    for team Truss?

(b)
    Far far worse.

That's why she wont be allowed to last. Agent Truss has been rumbled.
    Once the railway bridge is blown and the train heading into the river, the agent’s survival, while desirable, is no longer mission critical
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

- Preference for Starmer (60%) over Truss (13%) https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1582038729694191616

who are the 9% who approve of Truss i wonder
  • Options

One consequence of the last few days is that a future Starmer government is going to come under huge pressure for a rejoin referendum. The Brexit / Singapore-on-Thames dream is now dead in the water.

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
    Would be nice if someone did a bet to predict how many of those 3 happen in the next parliament
  • Options

Bring it on. We will rout the FBPE fools once again
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That noise you can hear outside is the sound of Sunak laughing his tits off in a nice garden somewhere in N Yorkshire.
  • Options

Don't think porkies on a bus are going to cut it this time
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
    too many things too quickly.

If Labour has a majority it's hard to see how IndyRef2 comes into place and likewise rejoining has to be a longer term project.

The important change in the next election is to change our electoral system so that we aren't left with a 2 party system where 1 or other has the risk of being hijacked towards the extremes.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
    Would probably be wise to do in that order - rejoin and there’ll be less of the issue of friction at the England / Scottish border

Though what last few weeks have probably shown is how important the markets are - would Scotland not have similar challenges to what we’ve just seen? Would take some reassuring for the undecideds
  • Options

Don't think porkies on a bus are going to cut it this time
    Just play a loop of James O'Brien being an utter turd. Sorted. War with France by lunch
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
    You reckon Starmer's looking at the seat calculations and thinking 'We need PR'?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Labour Majority of 380.

It is ELE. And this afternoon has made it worse. And tomorrow will make it worse. Then PMQs on Wednesday and it gets worse again. The government are now down to a forecast of 22 seats. Tactical voting could make it worse than that. So we are facing a Canada 93 scenario without as HY suggests a big seat haul for Nigel Farage.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That noise you can hear outside is the sound of Sunak laughing his tits off in a nice garden somewhere in N Yorkshire.
    Not sure why. Whoever got into the final 2, it wasn't going to be him winning. Tory MPs have themselves to blame for voting for Rishi rather than Penny if they new Truss was going to be a disaster. Penny would have beaten Truss. Rishi was never going to.
  • Options
    eek said:

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR

If Labour has a majority it's hard to see how IndyRef2 comes into place and likewise rejoining has to be a longer term project.

The important change in the next election is to change our electoral system so that we aren't left with a 2 party system where 1 or other has the risk of being hijacked towards the extremes.
    Yes, the biggest worry about the current situation is Labour hubris after a big win and any chance of reform being shelved again. We need Mordaunt and Hunt to put the Tories back into the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
    You reckon Starmer's looking at the seat calculations and thinking 'We need PR'?
    'Id like to make it much harder to implememt manifesto commitments'
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,906
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Like I said, it's a major hostage to fortune - eveyone knows mortgage rates have been too low for too long. If they go up again once Sir Keir is in...
    Labour can keep blaming the Tories for the next 12 years. After all the current situation is still all Brown's fault.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    Cookie said:

The National Grid CEO has warned British households to prepare for blackouts between 4pm and 7pm on “really, really cold” weekdays in January and February

https://www.ft.com/content/d31fbbd6-8325-43b7-94e4-29101cfe6045

We need to install more solar farms...
    Not really going to help between 4 and 7pm in January and February.
    Sandy is being sarcastic...

But - so long as you have decent amounts of storage - he's not wrong. If you have lots of gas storage, then it's the amount of gas you burn over the year that matters, not the amount you need on a cold day in February at 5pm.

The problem is that the UK - almost uniquely among large developed economies - has very little storage. And some of the blame for this must fall to Sir Ed Davey, who failed to spend the relatively small sums required to keep the Rough storage facility open.
  • Options
    eek said:

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR

Thats not why the 'progessives' want electoral reform. They fancy a 1000 year progressive reich
    It would split both main parties though and turn them into hilarious little players in a big pond
  • Options

EEA, maybe, undoing Cameron/May's error.

But rejoin the EU, with the euro and Schengen as part of the package? Even if you could persuade the other 27 countries to offer it...
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sounds like Labour really doesn’t want Hunt in the big chair

They are pretty worried by that possibility. Though they are probably more worried of the possibility of a Mordaunt & Hunt partnership
    Which is surely where we are heading

The Tories may well look more credible in a few months than they do now (hardly difficult). Time to lay Labour most seats, as a trading bet?
    I dont think the price for Labour most seats has gone as short as the polls suggest it ought to have. Likely anticipating some Tory comeback from the current depths.
  • Options

You mean from her zombie apocalypse appearance in the House just now?

Why not?

Though similar gambit did NOT work for Richard Nixon in 1974 when he went/fled temporarily to Egypt, hoping to remind voters (and congressman & senators) of his foreign policy triumphs.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

A military plane has crashed into an apartment building in Russia, in Krasnodar, opposite Mariupol.

(snip)

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1582033738258534401

A spectacular picture. I doubt this is a shootdown. Everyone in the air force will be tired; from the pilots to the mechanics. Tired people make mistakes.

(This goes for both the Russians and the Ukrainians.)
    There have been a couple of lost Russian planes shortly after take off in the last month or so. The planes probably haven't flown this often before.
    Russia jet engines are known to have significantly fewer cycles between complete overhauls than Western ones. (Which has always been one of the big arguments in favour of Dassaults, Saabs, etc: yes, the sticker price is more than the MiG, but it lasts longer and costs less to maintain.)
  • Options

Driver said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Labour can keep blaming the Tories for the next 12 years. After all the current situation is still all Brown's fault.
    yes people dont think rationally...certain big events like the erm cut through and after that its all over....you wont get a hearing for 10 years
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,545

Just what this country needs to heal its divisions. Another referendum.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Would explain a lot.
    She looked like she was struggling to keep her eyes open. Possibly not slept in days. She needs to go but she also has my sympathy as it must be terrible to be in that position. To want the top job but then immediately finding yourself manifestly incapable of it. For her own health now more than anything else she should step down. She might get quite a bit of sympathy if she held her hand up now.
    The issues comes down to how do you quickly replace her and her cabinet of nobodies without triggering a full leadership contest where the next unknown quantity wins.
  • Options
    Driver said:

But rejoin the EU, with the euro and Schengen as part of the package? Even if you could persuade the other 27 countries to offer it...
    No reason to think we wouldn't be able to get opt-outs for the euro and Schengen, or at least have a way of indefinitely delaying them as Sweden has gone. The rebate has gone for sure though.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,906

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
    Of course not. But... if he thinks ahead he might realise he can end the semi-permanent grip the Tories have had on power for the last 100 years.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    darkage said:

Truss should not have gone in to the Commons in that state.
    It was about the worst possible thing to do; go in, sit down for 20 minutes, say nothing, and then leave.
    It suggests that she is having a breakdown and no one is taking control of the situation.
    This is now just getting very weird and sad, I think it is possible we will see a resignation for medical reasons, and the sooner this happens the better.

on the other hand - after seeing her in parliament today her resigning for medical reasons makes sense. Without her appearance it may have been harder to justify.

Equally though - she doesn't seem to be in a fit state to be doing anything so someone needs to sort things out.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,169
    eek said:

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR

Nah, no chance of electoral reform if Labour have a big majority.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Almost certainly complete nonsense btw. The difference rich to poor area (London vs NE) is a measly three years

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/bulletins/lifeexpectancyforlocalareasoftheuk/between2001to2003and2017to2019

The shocker is *healthy* LE but even here the spread is 18 years not 30, Blackpool to Rutland (males)

https://www.health.org.uk/evidence-hub/health-inequalities/map-of-healthy-life-expectancy-at-birth

It is possible that zooming in on Walsall gives a spread of 10x the nation overall, but I hae me doots.
    @Foxy tells us repeatedly that the major difference is in good health years, not overall life expectancy. Perhaps the Tweet is using good health years instead of overall life expectancy.
  • Options
    eek said:

AlistairM said:

Would explain a lot.
    The issues comes down to how do you quickly replace her and her cabinet of nobodies without triggering a full leadership contest where the next unknown quantity wins.
    honestly think if it was purely members having their say it would be JRM next
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,386
    eek said:

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR

Rejoining won’t happen anytime soon and why would the EU have us given the trouble we have been.

A closer relationship is the best we can hope for.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Labour Majority of 380.

It is ELE. And this afternoon has made it worse. And tomorrow will make it worse. Then PMQs on Wednesday and it gets worse again. The government are now down to a forecast of 22 seats. Tactical voting could make it worse than that. So we are facing a Canada 93 scenario without as HY suggests a big seat haul for Nigel Farage.
    Yes but its a snapshot and warning shot from people polled. There is no imminent GE. Its not going to be how a GE goes and nor are they going to go into one in this state.
    They polled 17% 6 months before winning an 80 majority. They will of course lose big but not like these horror polls.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Truss exit date 2022 is now 1.37.
  • Options

Driver said:

No reason to think we wouldn't be able to get opt-outs for the euro and Schengen, or at least have a way of indefinitely delaying them as Sweden has gone. The rebate has gone for sure though.
    There's no way the other 27 let us back in without locking us into Schengen, and, in particular, the euro - the latter making it impossible for us to leave again.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    AlistairM said:

ping said:

I'm sure that was said about another politician at some point... how did that work out?
    The 'no time for an amateur' thing does not work in a crisis. I recall Brown trying that sort of line in 2010, but of course if there's no crisis, why change, and if there's a crisis you cannot change because 'amateur'.

So you never change government at all.
  • Options
    As a Conservative I am fed up. Boris’s positives were more than offset by his pathological need to please and not be found out. I was happy with going for growth, but ud should have been done by incentives for automation to increase productivity: the tax changes at top rate may have worked if the laffer curve was true. However now we will never know because Truss didn’t try to get anyone onside before leaping into the political unknown. She’s now like Wile Coyote with her legs running in empty air over the canyon.

One thing though - the members voted for her and if the MPs really thought she was that bad they should have given us Badenoch or Morduant as an option instead. They played games thinking we would go for Sunak. However we members don’t like disloyalty. So the MPs who are now going after Truss shouldn’t expect activist support, and definitely not if they get rid of her with a coronation
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

https://ria.ru/20221017/samolet-1824698314.html

'Russia's Defense Ministry: "while climbing to perform a training flight from the military airfield of the Southern Military District, a Su-34 aircraft crashed. The plane crashed in the city of Yeisk" "According to the report of the ejected pilots, the cause of the plane crash was the ignition of one of the engines during takeoff. At the crash site of the Su-34 in the courtyard of one of the residential quarters, the plane's fuel caught fire"'

Too bad the pilot could NOT avoid crashing aircraft into apartment building. Assuming they tried.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Labour Majority of 380.

Yes but its a snapshot and warning shot from people polled. There is no imminent GE. Its not going to be how a GE goes and nor are they going to go into one in this state.
    They polled 17% 6 months before winning an 80 majority. They will of course lose big but not like these horror polls.
    that was due to the brexit party though
  • Options

Driver said:

We don't need an opt out for Schengen, that's a myth. Neither would an independent Scotland.

There was not an opt-out (subsequently expired) of Schengen for the UK, there was an exception for the Common Travel Area. As we remain in the CTA, we would remain automatically exempt from Schengen, as too would an independent Scotland that remained in the CTA.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,059
    Cookie said:

Just what this country needs to heal its divisions. Another referendum.
    Anything so we don't have to talk about voting systems.
  • Options
    Taz said:

eek said:

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR

Rejoining won’t happen anytime soon and why would the EU have us given the trouble we have been.

A closer relationship is the best we can hope for.
    The relationdhip we have now is fine tbh. There is a whole world to forge ties with, without all the EU bulllshit
  • Options

Driver said:

So your argument would be that rather than joining EFTA/EEA and having the single market benefits without any of the political rubbish, we should pay a huge wad of additional money to rejoin the political stuff as well? And with the threat of having to join the Euro and Schengen at some point down the line.

Good luck with that.
This discussion has been closed.