Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

No overall majority back as favourite in the GE betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 57,971
    Scott_xP said:

As, I posted earlier. Gone by xmas.

Still value at 7
  • geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

The trouble with a coronation is how can you stop Johnson standing as an alternative to Sunak? So long as someone else stands it has to go to the members right? Of course there is no need to change party leader. If Truss loses the confidence of the house she will have to suggest someone who can form a government. The obvious answer is Sunak.

If it’s a coronation I’d expect Sunak to beat Johnson if that was the final two . I’d expect Johnson would lose to most candidates .

Why would Tory MPs remove Truss to put in a discredited pathological liar who could still be found to have misled parliament .
    Johnson would beat Sunak with the membership, he would have beaten Truss with them too. If he got just 20 Tory MPs to nominate him he could go a members ballot with Sunak if nobody else ran.

If Truss went before the next general election then Boris would now probably be favourite to succeed her
    Sins wiped clean by 40 days in the wilderness

Didn’t a serpent pop up at some point during the 40 days? Gove on the blower to BJ?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,052

Baffling. The King is a globally-respected voice on the environment, as I saw when He opened the COP21 summit in Paris. His presence at the Egypt summit w’d have given Britain great impact. He w’d have followed Gov’t advice on substance. What’s the problem?

https://twitter.com/lordrickettsp/status/1576300178604113920

She doesn't want to be overshadowed?
    She and Rees-Mogg want to open up as many new oil and gas wells as humanly possible, abolish planning rules in their new enterprise zones to enable Amazon warehouses and roads to be built on nature reserves and SSSIs, and permit negligent water companies, industrial scale chicken farms and other such concerns to turn the rivers and seas of Britain into stinking and biologically dead open sewers.

These are not consistent with the environmental and sustainability concerns that His Majesty would wish to highlight.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,355

nico679 said:

We’re still yet to learn why Kwarteng was laughing so much at the Queens funeral . That was very weird. I find it strange that after Johnson I didn’t think it was possible for my anger to reach code red and I thought Truss would just be meh but not trigger that code red. Unfortunately I’ve now passed code red and need to add a new colour !

I am not sure if he may have a medical condition but it did seem strange
    The more you see of that it looks the sort of agitation which comes from lack of sleep, perhaps even took something to look alive fearing news coverage of himself fallen asleep.
  • Truss looks like she couldn't argue her way out of a paper bag
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,074

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

The trouble with a coronation is how can you stop Johnson standing as an alternative to Sunak? So long as someone else stands it has to go to the members right? Of course there is no need to change party leader. If Truss loses the confidence of the house she will have to suggest someone who can form a government. The obvious answer is Sunak.

If it’s a coronation I’d expect Sunak to beat Johnson if that was the final two . I’d expect Johnson would lose to most candidates .

Why would Tory MPs remove Truss to put in a discredited pathological liar who could still be found to have misled parliament .
    Johnson would beat Sunak with the membership, he would have beaten Truss with them too. If he got just 20 Tory MPs to nominate him he could go a members ballot with Sunak if nobody else ran.

If Truss went before the next general election then Boris would now probably be favourite to succeed her
    Sins wiped clean by 40 days in the wilderness

Didn’t a serpent pop up at some point during the 40 days? Gove on the blower to BJ?
    Don't you Adam and Eve it.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 43,866
    pigeon said:

Baffling. The King is a globally-respected voice on the environment, as I saw when He opened the COP21 summit in Paris. His presence at the Egypt summit w’d have given Britain great impact. He w’d have followed Gov’t advice on substance. What’s the problem?

https://twitter.com/lordrickettsp/status/1576300178604113920

She doesn't want to be overshadowed?
    She and Rees-Mogg want to open up as many new oil and gas wells as humanly possible, abolish planning rules in their new enterprise zones to enable Amazon warehouses and roads to be built on nature reserves and SSSIs, and permit negligent water companies, industrial scale chicken farms and other such concerns to turn the rivers and seas of Britain into stinking and biologically dead open sewers.

These are not consistent with the environmental and sustainability concerns that His Majesty would wish to highlight.
    Yep. The economic chaos is temporary. The vandalism to the fabric of the nation longlasting or even permanent.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,602
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

If you jump out of the frying pan into the fire, why on earth would you jump back into the fire. IMHO we need a competent caretaker PM like yesterday. Wallace, Gove, Hunt, Hague? Someone suggested Ken Clarke but he must be nearly as old as Uncle Bulgaria by now.

Okay I'm no Tory but look there's actually the makings of a decent government there.

Prime minister: Sunak
    Chancellor: Gove
    Foreign: Tugendhat
    Defence: Wallace

You've got people like Neil O'Brien, Greg Clark, Sajid Javid and I'm sure others who could chip in.
    Amazing nobody has mentioned May. The most experienced minister in the Commons after Gove.

As I said yesterday, her proven ability to defy the opinion polls is surely what the Tories need right now?
    Although my recollection is that Theresa May had massive leads over Jeremy Corbyn, it turns out that her largest lead was only 25%, and though May defied the opinion polls, she still contrived to win the election by 2.5%. Surely a 33% opinion poll lead is too large for even Theresa May to overturn?
  • ydoethur said:

If you jump out of the frying pan into the fire, why on earth would you jump back into the fire. IMHO we need a competent caretaker PM like yesterday. Wallace, Gove, Hunt, Hague? Someone suggested Ken Clarke but he must be nearly as old as Uncle Bulgaria by now.

Okay I'm no Tory but look there's actually the makings of a decent government there.

Prime minister: Sunak
    Chancellor: Gove
    Foreign: Tugendhat
    Defence: Wallace

You've got people like Neil O'Brien, Greg Clark, Sajid Javid and I'm sure others who could chip in.
    Amazing nobody has mentioned May. The most experienced minister in the Commons after Gove.

Somewhat less amazing nobody has mentioned Johnson.
    May could be the new Brexit opportunities minister?

Or just Foreign Sec instead of ‘Clever’ly
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,600
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,798

nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: The @LibDems have called for an official inquiry into the Chancellor toasting his mini-budget with bankers.

"While struggling homeowners saw their mortgage bills spiral it seems the Chancellor was sipping champagne with hedge fund managers profiting from the falling pound."

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1576299941747576835

If I was Kwarteng I’d go out in disguise . If that type of headline is in tomorrows papers the pubic anger is going to be huge .
    Can the person the mirror thought was chancellor actually be made chancellor?
    He's the President of the International Bank of America apparently.
    So could do worse.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,168
    Russian reporter Kotenok Z brings unfoconfirmed early intel that clashes are taking place near Kreminna. This poses a further danger as the frontline has not been established.
    The annexation euphoria did not last long.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1576315030911361024
  • glwglw Posts: 9,516
    darkage said:

Perhaps Truss is going after the net zero, "green crap" in her forthcoming cuts, thus putting her on a collision course with the King ?

That would also be on a collision course with science, reality, most of the public, and even the energy companies. Genius!
    HYUFD said:
    No necklace.
    Paging Leon.
  • HYUFD said:
    That's a really cool photo.

Truss needs to just keep calm and carry on and implement her agenda. Don't give a f**k about midterm opinion polls which are meaningless.

U-turning, putting taxes up and being a poundshop Gordon Brown in office but not in power would serve no purpose.

Continuing, getting some growth going and lower taxes, may win some respect. U-turning serves no purpose, the people who want higher taxes will still vote for Starmer anyway.
    darkage said:

Perhaps Truss is going after the net zero, "green crap" in her forthcoming cuts, thus putting her on a collision course with the King ?

She hates solar for some reason.

Maybe it is all that daylight.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,420
    This week I have appeared in 4 LinkedIn searches. Being retired I don't appear in many. 2 of those searches are the US Department of Defence and the USAF. Should I be worried?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,004
    Solve your enlarged prostate problems by having some stainless steel sticks shoved up your dick.

HYUFD said:

Truss needs to just keep calm and carry on and implement her agenda. Don't give a f**k about midterm opinion polls which are meaningless.

U-turning, putting taxes up and being a poundshop Gordon Brown in office but not in power would serve no purpose.

Continuing, getting some growth going and lower taxes, may win some respect. U-turning serves no purpose, the people who want higher taxes will still vote for Starmer anyway.
    Still waiting for how this growth is to emerge.
    kjh said:

This week I have appeared in 4 LinkedIn searches. Being retired I don't appear in many. 2 of those searches are the US Department of Defence and the USAF. Should I be worried?

You need to find a bolthole and maintain radio silence till the all clear.

Scott_xP said:

Some more highlights from an astonishing @OpiniumResearch poll for @ObserverUK - Tory supporters, look away now:

The PM’s net approval rating has fallen from -9 to -37 in a week.

It’s a worse net rating than the -28 that Johnson registered in the final poll before his removal.

Starmer has a 17-point lead when voters are asked who they see as the best prime minister.

Only 32% of 2019 Conservatives think that Truss would be the best prime minister, with 18% preferring Starmer.

Almost half (48%) of 2019 Conservatives think Johnson would be the best prime minister in a choice with Truss. Only 19% opt for Truss.

Labour has a 20-point lead on energy/power, a 25-point lead on the NHS, an 11-point lead on immigration & a 21-point lead on housing.

The Conservatives have gone from a 1-point lead on the economy last week before the mini-budget to a *19-point Labour lead this week*.

The vast majority of voters (75%) said they thought the government has lost control of the economic situation, while only 18% think the government is in control.

Even 71% of 2019 Conservative voters think the government has lost control.

Absolutely no surprise there
    This polling shift is Despite a quarter of a trillion of handouts from Truss to voters, because of the regressive way she has gone about it during a credit crunch, every little bit of financial pain (all the way up to the big bits) voters will feel just won’t be attributed to Truss alone, the likelihood is it will be owned by the Conservative Party and it’s supporters for a long time to come.
  • dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,052

HYUFD said:

She is, of course, in zugzwang. Whatever she does now her situation will get worse.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,655
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,098

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Borrow, borrow, borrow.

Interest rate rises.

Recession.
    Scott_xP said:

Problem is there is no way this can go back to the membership.

Has to be a coronation.

Who?

Johnson or Sunak or perhaps Gove?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 8,989
    TimS said:
    I'd noticed there was murmurs of this on twitter. Interesting to see how it goes.
    geoffw said:

kjh said:

You need to find a bolthole and maintain radio silence till the all clear.

I am assuming (hope) they have got the wong kjh.
    kjh said:

If they ask if you can drive a tank, say no.
    edited October 2022

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Well. That's the theory. We know that.
  • Does anyone know what's going on in Kherson?

Seen a few excitable comments that things are happening for Ukraine, but I can't see anything saying what at this stage. Or if its true or not.

Good news on the liberation Lyman. Hopefully all of Ukraine is liberated before long.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 6,980

HYUFD said:

To get growth going, she’ll have to actually come up with some policies to get growth going.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,952
    edited October 2022

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes
    higher demand
    higher inflation (supply is constrained by lack of staff and broken supply chains)
    higher interest rates (to combat inflation and support increased borrowing)
    lower investment
    lower growth.
    😉
    Foxy said:

kjh said:

Would that be a flying tank?

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    LOL
  • Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes
    higher demand
    higher inflation (supply is constrained by lack of staff and broken supply chains)
    higher interest rates
    lower investment
    lower growth.
    😉
    If low interest rates led to high investment and growth, we must be growing gangbusters at the moment.
    ✍️ "The PM and Chancellor are wedded to a disastrous ideology, with the damage likely to be felt by working people for years to come."

Read more from Labour Party leader Sir @Keir_Starmer here ⬇️
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/01/keir-starmer-liz-truss-kwasi-kwarteng-have-driven-economy-cliff/

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes on the rich
    ???
    Electoral collapse

😅
    Tory MP for South Suffolk: At my Whatfield surgery yesterday I was asked what I thought of scrapping the 45p tax rate. It’s not right for me to keep my frank answer from other constituents – to be clear, cutting tax for top earners whilst reducing benefits in a cost of living crisis is unacceptable.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,698

HYUFD said:

To get growth going, she’ll have to actually come up with some policies to get growth going.
    And an explanation of why they may work because - low corporation tax isn't likely to work because if it's enough we would have had record growth from 2010 onwards rather than utterly dire growth..
    Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes
    higher demand
    higher interest rates
    lower investment
    lower growth.
    😉
    But lower demand. Because your average (median) working person is facing a huge contraction is disposable income.
    Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes
    higher demand
    lower investment
    lower growth.
    😉
    … and the fiscal drag of inflation on thresholds mean most of us end up paying more tax at the end of it!
    edited October 2022

Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes
    higher demand
    higher interest rates
    lower investment
    lower growth.
    😉
    If low interest rates led to high investment and growth, we must be growing gangbusters at the moment.
    We aren't. And with higher interest rates it will be even worse.
    Think through the mechanisms rather than rely on a dogma.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,697

HYUFD said:

OK, but she needs to call a general election and get a mandate. She can't do this Thatcher act on the back of a completely different manifesto agreed 3 years ago. It is dishonest and wrong, and the public can see it.

In practical terms what will probably do her in though is the fact that she doesn't have the MPs behind her. She is acting like she got the the 80 seat majority herself and they are an irrelevance.
    Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes
    higher demand
    lower investment
    lower growth.
    😉
    Non-inflationary growth won't/can't come from the demand side.

🚨LATEST @OpiniumResearch /@ObserverUK poll🚨

With the Conservative Party Conference starting today, our latest poll shows Labour's lead has shot up from 5 points to 19 over the Conservatives.

Con 27% (-7)
    Lab 46% (+7)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 6% (-1) https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1576322420515840002/photo/1
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    When the membership is more royalist than the king, a party is in trouble. Both Labour and Conservatives need to reflect on how to choose leaders without the membership lumbering them with another Corbyn or Truss.

As for MPs suggesting that The Tories need another 1997 meltdown, some need to remember that it took 13 years and 3 General Elections to secure a majority albeit in coalition with the Lib Dems.
    Scott_xP said:

🚨LATEST @OpiniumResearch /@ObserverUK poll🚨

With the Conservative Party Conference starting today, our latest poll shows Labour's lead has shot up from 5 points to 19 over the Conservatives.

Con 27% (-7)
    Lab 46% (+7)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 6% (-1) https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1576322420515840002/photo/1

Outlier. Sub 20 point lead.
    71% of 2019 Conservative voters think the government has lost control

Take back control. Vote Labour.

https://twitter.com/jamesenders/status/1576309271863910400
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

Tory MP for South Suffolk: At my Whatfield surgery yesterday I was asked what I thought of scrapping the 45p tax rate. It’s not right for me to keep my frank answer from other constituents – to be clear, cutting tax for top earners whilst reducing benefits in a cost of living crisis is unacceptable.

I'm concerned that there may be another attack on an MP. Things are getting desperate for a lot of people.
    Where's @Leon? Still in his bunker?
  • kjh said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

You like a Panther don’t you?
  • darkage said:

HYUFD said:

OK, but she needs to call a general election and get a mandate. She can't do this Thatcher act on the back of a completely different manifesto agreed 3 years ago. It is dishonest and wrong, and the public can see it.

In practical terms what will probably do her in though is the fact that she doesn't have the MPs behind her. She is acting like she got the the 80 seat majority herself and they are an irrelevance.
    The manifesto last time explicitly promised no rise in National Insurance.

How is Truss reversing the NI rise that went against the manifesto any worse than Sunak and Boris explicitly breaking the manifesto pledges?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,602

Does anyone know what's going on in Kherson?

Seen a few excitable comments that things are happening for Ukraine, but I can't see anything saying what at this stage. Or if its true or not.

Good news on the liberation Lyman. Hopefully all of Ukraine is liberated before long.

Well, the mass surrenders that were supposedly being negotiated haven't happened, so unfortunately I think we simply have to wait for the photos of Ukrainian troops in newly liberated settlements to find out whether a successful advance is happening or not.

The Russians have become a bit better at sharing drone footage of failed Ukrainian attacks when those have happened. Earlier in the month there was some footage of a failed Ukrainian attack on Pisky.

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Growth comes only from investment in people, upskilling, infrastructure, not from tax cuts - because you can’t guarantee how much tax cuts trickle down to the investment for growth. In your opinion will a zero amount of Truss uncosted handouts igoing to be banked or invested in yachts and property? No of course it won’t be zero.

Likewise as you haven’t a clue how much of the uncosted handouts to the wealthy will be reinvested to create growth, you can’t possibly know, and this is why trickle down/Reaganomics has come to be known as fantasy ideas.

More importantly what happens with a bit of growth? For sure it will be lower opinion polls for Truss and the Tories, as vast swathes of UK get very angry - if there is growth, do all parts of the UK benefit equally, or has it always been grossly unevenly centred around south east of UK creating voter anger?
    dixiedean said:

Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cut taxes.
    ???
    Growth.

😉
    Cut taxes
    higher demand
    higher interest rates
    lower investment
    lower growth.
    😉
    But lower demand. Because your average (median) working person is facing a huge contraction is disposable income.
    The lower demand is not because of cutting taxes. Lower taxes should actually help demand (from a diminished base). But higher interest rates, larger mortgage payments etc will all then reduce demand as well as reduce supply. It's crazy dogma driven economics.

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    1h
    Opinium remove don't knows and reweight - which means they usually show smaller Lab leads. Highest ever under that methodology has been 8pts but usually 2-4pts.

This is all people switching to Labour.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    kjh said:

Yes.

In all seriousness you probably share a name with someone they’re interested in, maybe a potential recruit or, more likely, potential contractor.

Feel privileged. I’m a practicing solicitor and you’ve appeared in 3 more searches than me this week.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,847
    One of the joys of the Truss meltdown is the humiliation of those slippery MPs who having voted for Rishi all the way suddenly saw the writing on the wall and changed their vote to Truss. Even Jacob Rees Rent-a-Quote has taken to hiding when a camera comes anywhere near

Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    Incredible stuff in the big read from
    @ShippersUnbound
    tonight “Former ministers are openly discussing what would happen if Truss was ousted. “There would have to be a leader by acclamation,” one said. “And it would have to be Boris or Rishi. She’s finished already.”

I'm on both at 12 and 11 respectively.

kjh said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

You like a Panther don’t you?
    I went to the Panther 50th anniversary today. There was a Panther Rio there, which is the Rolls Royce lookalike. It is hilarious. It is minute. You need to see it without anyone standing next to it and then see it with someone next to it. It is very funny. Even I can't think why anyone would buy it.
  • DougSeal said:

kjh said:

Yes.

In all seriousness you probably share a name with someone they’re interested in, maybe a potential recruit or, more
    likely, potential contractor.

Feel privileged. I’m a practicing solicitor and you’ve appeared in 3 more searches than me this week.
    Time to stop practicing and do it for real
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    DougSeal said:

kjh said:

Yes.

In all seriousness you probably share a name with someone they’re interested in, maybe a potential recruit or, more likely, potential contractor.

I deleted my LinkedIn profile years ago when it started being nothing more than a mailing database for recruiters and people selling courses. I have zero regrets...
    edited October 2022
    She talks to all the servants about man, and God and laws.
    edited October 2022

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

How is Truss reversing the NI rise that went against the manifesto any worse than Sunak and Boris explicitly breaking the manifesto pledges?
    We need to know what Truss wants to do. How much tax is going to be cut, how it is going to be funded, and how much public spending will be reduced, and in what areas.

If she actually set it all out and it made sense, I may well vote for it. But to just have it imposed on us in the middle of a parliament is very wrong.

You seem to be getting whipped up by rhetoric. But most of this stuff, we don't have any detail on. Planning reform for instance. 'welfare cuts' is another.

A bad omen about all of this is the fact it is the wrong way around - the only part where we do have the detail - tax cuts - was announced first. If this was a serious plan, we would make the savings first then get the tax cuts later.
    Roger said:

One of the joys of the Truss meltdown is the humiliation of those slippery MPs who having voted for Rishi all the way suddenly saw the writing on the wall and changed their vote to Truss. Even Jacob Rees Rent-a-Quote has taken to hiding when a camera comes anywhere near

Perhaps, like a lot of rent-a-mouths, he has no spine. It would not surprise me in the slightest.
    edited October 2022

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

Yes.

I deleted my LinkedIn profile years ago when it started being nothing more than a mailing database for recruiters and people selling courses. I have zero regrets...
    @kjh If you're retired why bother remaining on LinkedIn?

HYUFD said:

I think we will have got it wrong if we rely on that budget alone as their entire growth plan, I’m sure they have other idea’s for the coming months.

However growth only comes from investment, in people, infrastructure etc, so I’m curious where they will now find the money for growth creating investments. The UK credit card is already maxed out to the point of no longer working. 🤔

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

Yes.

Presumably for the juicy defence contracts

edited October 2022
    darkage said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

We need to know what Truss wants to do. How much tax is going to be cut, how it is going to be funded, and how much public spending will be reduced, and in what areas.

If she actually set it all out and it made sense, I may well vote for it. But to just have it imposed on us in the middle of a parliament is very wrong.

You seem to be getting whipped up by rhetoric. But most of this stuff, we don't have any detail on. Planning reform for instance. 'welfare cuts' is another.

A bad omen about all of this is the fact it is the wrong way around - the only part where we do have the detail - tax cuts - was announced first. If this was a serious plan, we would make the savings first then get the tax cuts later.
    Explain to me. In detail. How a 5% real terms cut in education will be achieved?
    Salaries is the obvious one. But naebody can recruit anybody right now.

HYUFD said:

I think we will have got it wrong if we rely on that budget alone as their entire growth plan, I’m sure they have other idea’s for the coming months.

However growth only comes from investment, in people, infrastructure etc, so I’m curious where they will now find the money for growth creating investments. The UK credit card is already maxed out to the point of no longer working. 🤔
    Indeed.

I’m sure they have other ideas too. I kinda suspect they’ll be as terrible as their first tranche of ideas.

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

Yes.

Apathy. I never go in, but I get an email telling me what organisations have looked at me.

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

Yes.

Being able to pull up members’ career histories is sometimes useful.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,854
    Scott_xP said:

✍️ "The PM and Chancellor are wedded to a disastrous ideology, with the damage likely to be felt by working people for years to come."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/01/keir-starmer-liz-truss-kwasi-kwarteng-have-driven-economy-cliff/

Whoa, SKS op-ed in the Telegraph feels like more than a shot across the bows for the government. It is all so reasonable, so obviously right, the average Telegraph reader will be nodding along as they read it. The Tories have lost the room, completely.

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

Yes.

Presumably for the juicy defence contracts

I can't think what they could possibly contract me to do but I'm up for offers.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,847

Thread header photo? Captions? You're welcome.

'...Always look on the bright side of life'

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

I’m sure they have other ideas too. I kinda suspect they’ll be as terrible as their first tranche of ideas.
    I kinda suspect you are right, not real money found for proper investment, more likely welfare state hand outs holds back entrepreneurship and growth, too many in higher education could be better utilised as galley slaves powering Britain Forward, our far too generous benefits system creates unemployment and idleness etc

Scott_xP said:

Whoa, SKS op-ed in the Telegraph feels like more than a shot across the bows for the government. It is all so reasonable, so obviously right, the average Telegraph reader will be nodding along as they read it. The Tories have lost the room, completely.
    Sergeant Wilson. "Do you think that's wise?"
    Apparently this is near chez Kwasi:

Roger said:

Thread header photo? Captions? You're welcome.

"And there's this @Leon bloke on the internet. Got some weird theories about me. But I know for a fact that he
    can't get through Threads without reaching for the smelling salts."
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,774
    edited October 2022
    Prediction:
    Remember when Labour led by 5-10pts and everyone reminded PB Labour of swing back, and a number of us said, but how do you
    know the swing back starts from here.

I'm now going to declare u that the swing back starts from around here.

The next few months will firm up the current
    collapse. leads will solidify in the high 20s during the winter, but they won't get much worse whatever hardships we endure. Weay see an isolated lead above 33%, but it won't be the no to m.

My impression of polling round previous major market crises is that the loss of control in the crisis itself is what hits the polling, and the effect on people's pockets afterwards merely solidifies the initial shift.

The Tories will agonise over getting rid of Truss, it will be no more clinical than the defenestration of Boris, and it will take several cycles of humiliation to get there. The Tory selectorate doesn't wieldvthe knife like Brutus, more like Eric Bristow with his worst bout of the yips.

But they will and they will start to claw back some lost ground.

Council elections aren't so far turned in Labour's favour yet. I remember the analysis that showed bad signs for Miliband around the 2015 poll, best PM polling, approval, underperformance in Locals. It isn't a done deal, the Locals are the last mixed sign Labour has to put to bed.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,739
    edited October 2022
    dr_spyn said:

When the membership is more royalist than the king, a party is in trouble. Both Labour and Conservatives need to reflect on how to choose leaders without the membership lumbering them with another Corbyn or Truss.

As for MPs suggesting that The Tories need another 1997 meltdown, some need to remember that it took 13 years and 3 General Elections to secure a majority albeit in coalition with the Lib Dems.

I think the rule should be if a party needs a new leader AND is in power - ie the person will become PM - they should be chosen by the MPs (of that party).

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

I kinda suspect you are right, not real money found for proper investment, more likely welfare state hand outs holds back entrepreneurship and growth, too many in higher education could be better utilised as galley slaves powering Britain Forward, our far too generous benefits system creates unemployment and idleness etc
    I would suggest identifying what the UK is good at and doing more of that. So, what are some areas that the country excels in?

We punch way above our size when it comes to our university sector… but the Tories have already decided that our universities are hotbeds of wokedom.

We have world leading television production with the BBC and Channel 4… oh, yeah, the Tories don’t like them either.

We’re good at green energy… but Truss would rather we frack and we keep solar panels out of fields.

Scott_xP said:

It's an interesting one seeing as Heath is the ed of Sunday Telegraph and he thinks he has died and gone to free market heaven and had sex with Hayek with the arrival of Truss.

Scott_xP said:

It's an interesting one seeing as Heath is the ed of Sunday Telegraph and he thinks he has died and gone to free market heaven and had sex with Hayek with the arrival of Truss.
    Premature climax. Followed by a week of worry and self-hatred?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,150
    20 letters already sent into Brady apparently according to Tim Shipman. Gone by Xmas far from impossible at that rate.
    euters
    @Reuters
    ·
    3h
    Front-runner Lula close to outright win in Brazil election, poll shows
    Tomorrow's headlines...

https://twitter.com/TmorrowsPapers
  • We assume the Tories will pull it back because they often have in the last decade.

But they never did in 1997, or 2001, or 2005. I believe we are there again.
    Sounds like the Times tomorrow is going to be a belter judging by the tweets of various snippets.

"She's mad" would summarise things so far.

Dom did warn you all.

We assume the Tories will pull it back because they often have in the last decade.

They lost the election last week and nothing they do now will matter unless they ruthless drop Truss and put Johnson or Sunak or May back.

edited October 2022

20 letters already sent into Brady apparently according to Tim Shipman. Gone by Xmas far from impossible at that rate.

Need to change the 12 month rule but given the need to save the last 200 seats from wipeout I think that can be arranged.

Gone by xmas.
    All this shows what a great politician Boris was.
    He kept the fundamental issues hidden.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 137
    edited October 2022
    kjh said:

I assure you, if you've only appeared in 4, no one cares :smile:

(Dumbosaurus - dat's me - barely uses linked in, is incredibly boring, and appears in orders of magnitude more)

We assume the Tories will pull it back because they often have in the last decade.

They lost the election last week and nothing they do now will matter unless they ruthless drop Truss and put Johnson or Sunak or May back.

I do not think it matters who they put in to replace her. The damage is done. All that remains is damage limitation
This discussion has been closed.