Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

No overall majority back as favourite in the GE betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• PhilPhil Posts: 1,908

Phil said:

pm215 said:

I've always thought people at Trinity Hall were inclined to mumble the second word whilst unduly emphasising the first. At the other end of the academic scale you tend to hear the word Brookes uttered sotto voce more often than not.

Friend of mine did architecture at Brookes -- the department liked to call itself "the Oxford School of Architecture" apparently...
    Brookes is very good indeed for some subjects. Not qualified to opine on architecture, but since Oxford University doesn’t do architecture I guess the Brookes dept gets to call themselves whatever they like!
    Mrs P. got her degree and masters at Oxford Brookes.

She always tells me it's just like another Oxford college and who am I to argue?
    My advice would definitely be to not argue with your wife on a topic like this :)
  • Sandpit said:

So, back online after a week on a paradise
    island with the phone and laptop switched off! First plane ride since before the pandemic.

I know that there was a hurricane in Florida, because airport lounges still have CNN on, and I know that Liverpool and Brighton shared six goals a couple of hours ago, because Emirates Airline now has a live sports TV channel!

I’ll take a guess that there’s still a war in Ukraine, and that those who didn’t like tax cuts a week ago, still aren’t particular fans of the UK government? Oh, and Dubai finally dropped their indoors mask requirement, just in time for tourist season.

Now to see if there’s anything important in the 300 emails, and catch up on what’s happened in the world for the past week.

Leyton Orient lost their unbeaten record but apart from that it's been pretty quiet, Sandy.
  • I’ve struck a bet with a friend.

Tories to poll 15% or lower with a BPC registered pollster in a GB wide Westminster poll before the locals.

It won't take that long:
    1. Conference will be a catastrofuck. TK unable to do human things like speak or display empathy
    2. Another market crisis certain. Can kicked down road, not removed.
    3. The "lets slash public services" plan is to come

Never mind the egregious damage to the party, this is doing similarly fatal damage to our electoral system. There is no mandate for this. None. Yet they parade "we have a majority of 80" at the press. Expect a push to replace FPTP.
    It will be v interesting to see how much liquidity BoE swamps the markets with during Truss's Wednesday speech.

In no way do I excuse the idiotic behaviour of Kwarteng and Truss but tonight analysts are saying the Eurozone is at risk on the same scale as the crisis they suffered a decade ago amid surging inflation and aggressive interest rates worldwide

Analysts say the eurozone is at risk from the same chaos that struck the UK

In view of everything happening it is hardly surprising that the UK will not be the only country facing a crises of confidence in its government but Kwarteng and Truss are in a league of their own

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/01/eurozone-risk-financial-meltdown-market-chaos-spreads/
    I never thought much of Kwarteng, but Truss has the makings of a truly great PM, and I don't think we realise how lucky we are.
    To be honest it is brave to support Truss, but then we live in a democracy and that should be respected, though I can say with complete assurance I do not and want the conservative party to take the action needed to remove her
  • While I can see the need for the monarch to heed the advice of his Prime Minister, think it's a bit harsh to curb KCIII from expressing his well-known views on the environment.

ESPECIALLY as the King's views on the environment are much closer to the 2019 Tory manifesto, than is current government policy?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,098
    Phil said:

Phil said:

pm215 said:

I've always thought people at Trinity Hall were inclined to mumble the second word whilst unduly emphasising the first. At the other end of the academic scale you tend to hear the word Brookes uttered sotto voce more often than not.

Friend of mine did architecture at Brookes -- the department liked to call itself "the Oxford School of Architecture" apparently...
    Brookes is very good indeed for some subjects. Not qualified to opine on architecture, but since Oxford University doesn’t do architecture I guess the Brookes dept gets to call themselves whatever they like!

She always tells me it's just like another Oxford college and who am I to argue?
    My advice would definitely be to not argue with your wife on a topic like this :)
    Sound advice indeed!
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,281
    That would be the optimum result. A Govt of Nat unity probably better whatever happens the Lib Dems nor the Nats shoukd have the balance of power.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,886

"sales of woodburning stoves soared by 40 per cent. Now, it has emerged that chainsaws have seen a surge in demand – to cut wood for the stoves."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11268825/Chainsaw-sales-soar-Brits-buy-35-000-woodburners-three-months.html

Edit: Of course if you cut wood now it is no good for this season, unless you are cutting already dead trees and branches. Has to be seasoned first.

I've got a large standing dead Ash pollard at the allotment which has been air drying in situ for a few years. I think it might be time for it to fall although I've probably got enough dried wood for this winter already.

An axe is more fun for felling than a chainsaw but cutting up a large trunk with a bow-saw is a bit painful, so power tools do help a bit there.

Foxy had better get ready for a few nasty injuries if there's a lot of novices waving chainsaws around.
    Ash is a good burner my woodman tells me.
    Dried, it burns beautifully.

1 in 6 trees in Devon are ash. They are getting obliterated by ash die-back. We are going to have wood to burn for decades, sadly.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 24,940
    kyf_100 said:

ping said:

Thoughts on Brazil?

It's nuts.
    Ash wood wet and ash wood dry, a King may warm his slippers by.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 57,971

I’ve struck a bet with a friend.

Tories to poll 15% or lower with a BPC registered pollster in a GB wide Westminster poll before the locals.

It won't take that long:
    1. Conference will be a catastrofuck. TK unable to do human things like speak or display empathy

Never mind the egregious damage to the party, this is doing similarly fatal damage to our electoral system. There is no mandate for this. None. Yet they parade "we have a majority of 80" at the press. Expect a push to replace FPTP.
    It will be v interesting to see how much liquidity BoE swamps the markets with during Truss's Wednesday speech.

In no way do I excuse the idiotic behaviour of Kwarteng and Truss but tonight analysts are saying the Eurozone is at risk on the same scale as the crisis they suffered a decade ago amid surging inflation and aggressive interest rates worldwide

In view of everything happening it is hardly surprising that the UK will not be the only country facing a crises of confidence in its government but Kwarteng and Truss are in a league of their own

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/01/eurozone-risk-financial-meltdown-market-chaos-spreads/
    I never thought much of Kwarteng, but Truss has the makings of a truly great PM, and I don't think we realise how lucky we are.
    This post is a keeper. Blimey. Let's revisit next summer.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,600

While I can see the need for the monarch to heed the advice of his Prime Minister, think it's a bit harsh to curb KCIII from expressing his well-known views on the environment.

ESPECIALLY as the King's views on the environment are much closer to the 2019 Tory manifesto, than is current government policy?

Now he is King, as a constitutional monarch Charles should follow his mother's lead so nobody really knows what his views are on politics, in public at least. Unless on policy where there is cross party agreement
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,760

"sales of woodburning stoves soared by 40 per cent. Now, it has emerged that chainsaws have seen a surge in demand – to cut wood for the stoves."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11268825/Chainsaw-sales-soar-Brits-buy-35-000-woodburners-three-months.html

Edit: Of course if you cut wood now it is no good for this season, unless you are cutting already dead trees and branches. Has to be seasoned first.

I've got a large standing dead Ash pollard at the allotment which has been air drying in situ for a few years. I think it might be time for it to fall although I've probably got enough dried wood for this winter already.

An axe is more fun for felling than a chainsaw but cutting up a large trunk with a bow-saw is a bit painful, so power tools do help a bit there.

Foxy had better get ready for a few nasty injuries if there's a lot of novices waving chainsaws around.

1 in 6 trees in Devon are ash. They are getting obliterated by ash die-back. We are going to have wood to burn for decades, sadly.
    Some hope - I saw a story about a resistant ash, so in time we may get replacements. Tough with trees as they take so damn long to grow.
  • ping said:

Thoughts on Brazil?

Definitely one of the best strikers to play for Ipswich.

It won't take that long:

She might outlast Douglas Home, if she makes as 'great' a PM as Brown and May I think that would be a relative triumph for her given her current position
    edited October 2022
    ping said:

Thoughts on Brazil?

Had the most gothic night of my life there, sat outside a monastery as the monks sang, bats flying around under the stars, waiting for a wild wolf to walk up the staircase to come for its cooked chicken treat....
    On topic, I think Labour most seats but short of a majority because of Scotland is still the likeliest outcome of the next general election
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,330

Phil said:

Phil said:

pm215 said:

Sound advice indeed!
    When Oxford Brooke’s became a university, Oxford University made the following offer.

- you can become an Oxford college
    - you will give us all your funding and facilities
    - We will decide what you get back
    - oh, and so as not to disturb Oxford university politics, you won’t get a vote in things like the other colleges.

They were surprised when the leadership said no.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,052

Foxy said:

Keir is no Blair.

But Truss is no Major, whose worst crime was thought to be ineffectiveness against wider sleazeballs, Brexity bastards, and Tory boys.

The bastards have taken over the Tories.
    The public will vote tactically to eviscerate them.

Next GE is going to be like 1997 with Smith instead of Blair but Redwood instead of Major.

And Truss is doubling down. There is no part of the Tory coalition that she is not passing off.
    And yet this is what the ageing membership wanted.

First the Gods make mad etc etc...
    The minted, selfish old men from the Home Counties wanted exactly three things: ideological purity, lower taxes (BUT to be paid for only by cutting stuff like schools and in-work benefits that don't affect them,) and never-ending house price inflation. The Government might be able to manage 1 (though look out for treason bleating over Europe if Truss isn't isolationist enough,) but 2 probably won't survive a freeze in health spending that makes access to care even harder and slower to obtain, and the market will take 3 clean out of their hands. Looking to the Dementia Press, the Express has already started panic flapping about a house price crash and the Mail and Torygraph won't be far behind, and probably with good reason. When that happens the grey vote goes and so do the Tories.

It won't take that long:

To be honest it is brave to support Truss, but then we live in a democracy and that should be respected, though I can say with complete assurance I do not and want the conservative party to take the action needed to remove her
    You'll come round.

It won't take that long:

This post is a keeper. Blimey. Let's revisit next summer.
    Or next month maybe.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited October 2022
    Very funny.

Very fucking funny, PB.

1 month, 50% ROI. Would need one helluva polling error for Lula to lose;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2022_Brazilian_presidential_election

Surely the odds are wrong on this?
    HYUFD said:

While I can see the need for the monarch to heed the advice of his Prime Minister, think it's a bit harsh to curb KCIII from expressing his well-known views on the environment.

Now he is King, as a constitutional monarch Charles should follow his mother's lead so nobody really knows what his views are on politics, in public at least. Unless on policy where there is cross party agreement
    There was on climate change until Truss arrived.

To be fair, it is decent of Truss to use her unpopularity to give King Charles a nice boost at the start of his reign.
  • Foxy said:

Keir is no Blair.

But Truss is no Major, whose worst crime was thought to be ineffectiveness against wider sleazeballs, Brexity bastards, and Tory boys.

Next GE is going to be like 1997 with Smith instead of Blair but Redwood instead of Major.

And Truss is doubling down. There is no part of the Tory coalition that she is not passing off.

No particular sign that the membership particularly wanted Truss. They just knew that the really really didn't want Sunak.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,149
    Cicero said:

Off topic, but I think this Washington Post story ($) will interest many of you: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/09/30/warming-up-dundee-scotland/

"Some cities have a past that is beautiful in the present. Old buildings and public spaces effortlessly become tourist attractions long after their reason for being has disappeared. Venice is like that. So is Paris.

Other cities carry their past into the present as an unavoidable burden, sprucing up their edges with beautiful things, new and old, to distract attention. Dundee, on the east coast of Scotland, is one of those. So is Baltimore, my home."

David Brown recommends Dundee as a tourist destination, though in a way that might not attract every American tourist. (I found his descriptions of Dundee's past -- and present -- fascinating, but don't know how many other Americans would.)

I have meandered around Dundee a few times. Beautiful city. I also saw something that suggested Aberdeen as a major tourist attraction. And if you've been there I get it. You come out of the bus / train station and across the road is mahoosive ships in the harbour. The buildings are solid and grand. There is a lot of history clearly on the streets around you. Its not pretty, but it is grand. Centre of Newcastle is the same.
    Old Aberdeen and the Brig o´Balgownie is pretty on the other hand.
    And Fittie is worth a stroll around.
  • kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:
    The cat’s not an idiot. He has her number.
    As someone who cats often tease that they are amenable to a pet and then dash away, I feel for her.
    To be fair to Truss - and I'd rather not be - Larry has a bit of a record of declining to be stroked while he's trying to scrounge a ham sandwich from the massed photographers. That's HIS plan and he's not scared to make it public
    Foxy said:

Can't deny that Meloni is charismatic. The tone gets a little scary at times though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qWwUUh1P_k

'I can't define myself as Italian, christian, woman, mother. No. I must be citizen X, gender X, parent 1, parent 2. I must be a number. Because when I am only a number, when I no longer have an identity and roots, then I will be the perfect slave at the mercy of financial speculators.'

What total bollocks.*.

* or other gender neutral germinal organs.
    Can I guess which particular group she means by 'financial speculators.' I really hope I'm wrong about that but we've heard this too many times before.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 8,987
    Thoughts on Brazil (actually seriously engaging with the question):

Absolute shellacking for Bolsonaro, he’ll attempt to do a Trump and contest the result but it’ll be a damp squib and nobody will buy the conspiracy theories.

Lula will then proceed to be a significant player at COP27 and might even fancy his chances at brokering a deal in Ukraine.
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

She might outlast Douglas Home, if she makes as 'great' a PM as Brown and May I think that would be a relative triumph for her given her current position
    The woman has balls of steel. She does not give a fuck whether she's talking to HMK, Joe Biden, the IMF, Radio Tees, the parliamentary Tory party (aka a bunch of pathetic twats), or Nick Ferari. She is the same with everyone. She means what she says and the says what she means. That just does not happen, and of course, PB doesn't get it, the stupider the PBer, the less they get it.
  • I’ve struck a bet with a friend.

It won't take that long:

You'll come round.
    Anyone who rewards millionaires and footballers and talks about reducing benefits below inflation deserves to be thrown out of the conservative party

I will not swap decency for greed
    TimS said:

Thoughts on Brazil (actually seriously engaging with the question):

Absolute shellacking for Bolsonaro, he’ll attempt to do a Trump and contest the result but it’ll be a damp squib and nobody will buy the conspiracy theories.

Lula will then proceed to be a significant player at COP27 and might even fancy his chances at brokering a deal in Ukraine.

Lula has said Zelensky is as much to blame for the Ukraine war as Putin, ge is not much better than Bolsonaro in that.

While Lula likely comes first tomorrow Bolsonaro also does well enough still to force a run off

To be fair, it is decent of Truss to use her unpopularity to give King Charles a nice boost at the start of his reign.
    If Charles could vote I think even he might vote for Starmer or Davey over Truss, not least as Truss once wanted to abolish him

Foxy said:

Keir is no Blair.

No particular sign that the membership particularly wanted Truss. They just knew that the really really didn't want Sunak.
    Which "the smartest electorate on the planet" somehow collectively failed to spot.

Muppets. They landed us with Truss.

Fix it. Pronto.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,798

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

The woman has balls of steel. She does not give a fuck whether she's talking to HMK, Joe Biden, the IMF, Radio Tees, the parliamentary Tory party (aka a bunch of pathetic twats), or Nick Ferari. She is the same with everyone. She means what she says and the says what she means. That just does not happen, and of course, PB doesn't get it, the stupider the PBer, the less they get it.
    Yes but.
    What she says is nonsense.

Phil said:

Phil said:

pm215 said:

Sound advice indeed!
    When Oxford Brooke’s became a university, Oxford University made the following offer.

- oh, and so as not to disturb Oxford university politics, you won’t get a vote in things like the other colleges.

Mrs P. is always happy to let slip that she got her degree from Oxford, and who can deny it?
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 790

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

You're a very, very odd chap aren't you @Luckyguy1983?

(That's meant as a compliment, by the way.)
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,003

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    ·
    4h
    Times read:

* Truss allies - including Cab ministers - alarmed. They worry public has made mind up

* Truss frustrated with Treasury for failing to anticipate market turmoil

====

Perhaps you shouldn't have sacked the permanent sec on the first morning, eh, Liz?

That said, I am just filling in an application for a part-time job administering various qualifications for a government department.

The sheer asininity of the questions and procedures they use is driving me up the wall. I have to say, no wonder they're not getting great candidates in the civil service if this is typical.
    Falling out with the Treasury as an institution is not going to end well I suspect given how little capital she has and how inexperienced she is. A more wily pol with a longer time might be able to slow engineer some change - she does not possess either of these.
    Can we just dispose of one point? Truss is NOT an INEXPERIENCED politician. She has been in govt for 12 years. It is not like she arrived in Westminster last week.

She might be denser than Osmium, but she cannot claim inexperience of Cabinet govt.
    She in fact had a rapid rise through the ranks - I think she was the first MP elected in 2010 to make it into the Cabinet - and if you count Chief Secretary to the Treasury has been permanently in it since 2014, across 5 different departments, and surviving across 3 very different Premiers, which shows political skill and competence.

You would think.
    And that she’s a glutton for punishment?
    Maybe she should have been a whip....?

Has anyone seen my hat and coat?
    Ydoetur took them, I think.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Talk TV (I know!) discussing the Mirror apologising to Kwasi for "wrongly captioning" an article about him.

Wasn't it the use of a wrong photo?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/01/mirror-apologises-for-using-picture-of-wrong-person-in-kwasi-kwarteng-story
    Oh that is laughable! :lol:
    I rseally, really didn't want to hint at the nature of it. I do wonder what the radio said that gave you the impression it was the other way round.
    Still, it was the Mirror, irony of ironies.
  • tlg86 said:

Probably wishful thinking, but if Truss is brought down very quickly, perhaps it will do our politics some good. If the political class (in all parties) see one of their own humiliated, then perhaps they might not be so eager to tell the voters what they want to hear.

I suspect you will instead hear a lot about the 'deep state' and the 'WEF' and the ''international speculators.' A lot of folk now just don't understand that their 'bubble' isn't the whole world.

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:
    The cat’s not an idiot. He has her number.
    As someone who cats often tease that they are amenable to a pet and then dash away, I feel for her.
    To be fair to Truss - and I'd rather not be - Larry has a bit of a record of declining to be stroked while he's trying to scrounge a ham sandwich from the massed photographers. That's HIS plan and he's not scared to make it public
    Foxy said:

Can't deny that Meloni is charismatic. The tone gets a little scary at times though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qWwUUh1P_k

'I can't define myself as Italian, christian, woman, mother. No. I must be citizen X, gender X, parent 1, parent 2. I must be a number. Because when I am only a number, when I no longer have an identity and roots, then I will be the perfect slave at the mercy of financial speculators.'

What total bollocks.*.

* or other gender neutral germinal organs.
    Can I guess which particular group she means by 'financial speculators.' I really hope I'm wrong about that but we've heard this too many times before.
    It’s basically a speech by Mussolini. Straight from the source.

The next level is, indeed, the identification of the “financial speculators” with a certain ethnic group.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.
    What has that got to do with anything?
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Truss is as ideological and rigid in her libertarian, small state views as Corbyn was in his socialism yes. However she lacks even the charisma Corbyn had to express them, let alone Boris' charisma
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

It's amazing to think that - just over six years ago - it was Cameron and Osborne in charge, having just secured a majority Government.

The Lib Dems protected the Conservatives from themselves.
    Which is also the answer as to why Corbyn wouldn’t have been so bad, since he would never have got a majority.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 38,957

ping said:

Thoughts on Brazil?

Had the most gothic night of my life there, sat outside a monastery as the monks sang, bats flying around under the stars, waiting for a wild wolf to walk up the staircase to come for its cooked chicken treat....
    Were the bats vampires? Definitely a thing in that airt, I believe.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,166
    edited October 2022

NEW: The King, a passionate environmental campaigner, has abandoned plans to attend next month’s Cop27 climate change summit after Liz Truss told him to stay away…

He had intended to deliver a speech at the meeting of world leaders in Egypt.

Truss, who is also unlikely to attend the Sharm el-Sheikh gathering, objected to the King’s plans during a personal audience at Buckingham Palace last month.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1576267291817234432

Frack off, Charles ?
    edited October 2022
    SCOOP by @ShippersUnbound ft. me and @olivershah

Kwasi Kwarteng went to private champagne reception hours after delivering budget where hedge fund managers egged him on to commit to his plans

Investors who gained from plummeting £ told him: double down https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kwasi-kwartengs-champagne-party-on-budget-day-with-financiers-who-profited-from-crash-kwdbs72g0

It’s always been true, to some extent, but now it’s unashamed and out in the open:

The tories are nothing but the political wing of the hedge fund industry.

Not the poor. Not the hard working middle class. Not business. Not even big business:

The global hedge fund industry.

Ferfuckssake
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,034

It won't take that long:

You are obviously taking the piss! What are you drinking mate?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,166
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Kwasi on the other hand.

Do they never learn?
    Trinity Hall people are thick as mince.
    Kwasi went to proper Trinity.
    My brother was a contemporary of Kwarteng at Trinity, but he studied Mathematics and was involved with the Lib Dems, so probably didn't know him.
    I was at Trinity at the same time as Kwasi, albeit I was a year or two ahead of him.
    I knew him reasonably well - to the extent of going for a drink occasionally with him when we both worked in finance.
    I can see where you developed your habit of trying to explain the basics of economics.
    edited October 2022

That would be the optimum result. A Govt of Nat unity probably better whatever happens the Lib Dems nor the Nats shoukd have the balance of power.

Why not? They're a lot saner than the alternatives. And they can't make total decisions on their own.

Phil said:

Phil said:

pm215 said:

Sound advice indeed!

Mrs P. is always happy to let slip that she got her degree from Oxford, and who can deny it?
    Oxford Brooke’s took the opportunity of becoming a university and ran with it. Unlike so former polys, they made a success of it. And deserve that success.

The Oxford thing helped in a couple of ways, of course. The name, but more, that the original university produces a stream of graduates who want to stay on in Oxford and create a high quality feed of staff for Brookes (among other places - the local schools also benefit massively).
    murali_s said:

It won't take that long:

Bleach?
    edited October 2022
    This hurricane definitely has my name on it; according to the latest track from Google Maps it is coming straight for me, arrival time predicted 8pm tonight, local time. But so far it is wet but barely windy.

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.
    Everything.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,420

I have about a dozen ash trees in my garden, several old ones. One with a girth of about 4m which makes it ancient in ash terms (350 - 450 yes). I lost one about 5 years ago and it makes excellent burning wood. Surrey Hills has been decimated by ash die back. Every ash tree is dead or dying. I have not lost one yet to ash die back and the hills start about a mile away at the end of my road, so I am not hopefull.
  • Opinium is going to be a car crash.

15 point lead I reckon
  • murali_s said:

It won't take that long:

I will defend @Luckyguy1983 as he is entitled to his opinion as much as you are

I most definitely do not agree with him though
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.
    Everything.
    Talking shit is every politician, everywhere, all the time. What do you think comes out of Nicola's gob, Rosebuds?

The conviction IS what matters, the TRUTH IS what matters, the bravery Is what matters. Would Nicola stand up to America? Fuck off would she.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,487

Opinium is going to be a car crash.

15 point lead I reckon

Are they releasing a poll ? Normally it’s out at 8pm.
  • murali_s said:

It won't take that long:

Two muppets comment
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 43,866
    murali_s said:

It won't take that long:

The kool-aid?
    edited October 2022
    https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1576164965848961027?t=hWCqEXS7T-LSn0L9G-497A&s=19

Great summary of where the nation has gone wrong in recent decades.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2022

Some hope - I saw a story about a resistant ash, so in time we may get replacements. Tough with trees as they take so damn long to grow.
    Ash seeds like crazy and is almost certain to evolve resistant strains, although there will be a big change to the landscape in the mean time.

In contrast, Elm trees were all identical clones, and thus extremely vulnerable to a single pest. Having said that, you can still find it in hedges so it is not entirely gone yet.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,602
    edited October 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Kwasi on the other hand.

Do they never learn?
    Trinity Hall people are thick as mince.
    Kwasi went to proper Trinity.
    My brother was a contemporary of Kwarteng at Trinity, but he studied Mathematics and was involved with the Lib Dems, so probably didn't know him.
    I was at Trinity at the same time as Kwasi, albeit I was a year or two ahead of him.
    My brother was a big player of impenetrable card games.
    edited October 2022
    Olivia Pratt-Korbel: Man charged with schoolgirl's murder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-62663145

Hopefully they’ve got the right guy.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,301
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    ·
    4h
    Times read:

* Truss allies - including Cab ministers - alarmed. They worry public has made mind up

* Truss frustrated with Treasury for failing to anticipate market turmoil

====

Perhaps you shouldn't have sacked the permanent sec on the first morning, eh, Liz?

That said, I am just filling in an application for a part-time job administering various qualifications for a government department.

The sheer asininity of the questions and procedures they use is driving me up the wall. I have to say, no wonder they're not getting great candidates in the civil service if this is typical.
    Falling out with the Treasury as an institution is not going to end well I suspect given how little capital she has and how inexperienced she is. A more wily pol with a longer time might be able to slow engineer some change - she does not possess either of these.
    Can we just dispose of one point? Truss is NOT an INEXPERIENCED politician. She has been in govt for 12 years. It is not like she arrived in Westminster last week.

She might be denser than Osmium, but she cannot claim inexperience of Cabinet govt.
    She in fact had a rapid rise through the ranks - I think she was the first MP elected in 2010 to make it into the Cabinet - and if you count Chief Secretary to the Treasury has been permanently in it since 2014, across 5 different departments, and surviving across 3 very different Premiers, which shows political skill and competence.

You would think.
    She was high profile at business, although there are questions as to whether that was a good performance or a good spin doctor.

Elsewhere, she was awful. Really bad.
    Maybe so, but not so bad she became known for being bad.
    Not to the wider public. As I recall those working with the departments she was working in thought she was off the wall. That was certainly the case at Education, although to be fair that's true of most of them.
    Well, they know her now, that's for sure.

This is essentially my view.

This is voters' first impression of Truss. It's like a new boss has taken over your firm and pissed in the water cooler at an all-staff meeting. You're never going to recover from that.
    Quote Tweet
    Darren McCaffrey
    @darrenmccaffrey
    ·
    29 Sep
    On a serious note, government will clearly hope this is a blip. They knew radical reform would prove controversial and even unpopular early on

But if next year and the year after they can prove economic growth is rebounding, voters will return

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1575530857838055424?cxt=HHwWgMDUofe9tN0rAAAA
    pigeon said:

Foxy said:

Keir is no Blair.

The minted, selfish old men from the Home Counties wanted exactly three things: ideological purity, lower taxes (BUT to be paid for only by cutting stuff like schools and in-work benefits that don't affect them,) and never-ending house price inflation. The Government might be able to manage 1 (though look out for treason bleating over Europe if Truss isn't isolationist enough,) but 2 probably won't survive a freeze in health spending that makes access to care even harder and slower to obtain, and the market will take 3 clean out of their hands. Looking to the Dementia Press, the Express has already started panic flapping about a house price crash and the Mail and Torygraph won't be far behind, and probably with good reason. When that happens the grey vote goes and so do the Tories.
    The "Dementia Press". Wow. Ouch. LOL.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,654
    The fact the “source close to the chancellor” doesn’t actually deny the central accusation in the story tells you all you need to know.

This is a huge problem for Liz Truss, who will be interviewed for 25 minutes by ⁦@bbclaurak⁩ tomorrow am.

🍿 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kwasi-kwartengs-budget-day-cocktail-party-with-financiers-who-profited-from-crash-kwdbs72g0
    Incredible stuff in the big read from @ShippersUnbound tonight “Former ministers are openly discussing what would happen if Truss was ousted. “There would have to be a leader by acclamation,” one said. “And it would have to be Boris or Rishi. She’s finished already.”
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,602
    nico679 said:

How dare Truss tell Charles not to attend COP27 .

His position is hardly controversial and supported by the vast majority of the public . It’s a shame Charles couldn’t tell the witch to go fxck herself !

The Royal Family are there to promote the government's foreign and diplomatic policy. If climate change isn't one of the priorities for Liz Truss, then of course she would stop Charles from making a big song and dance at COP27 while she ignored the thing.

The more relevant question is why it isn't a priority for Liz Truss, and whether that will help or hinder her at the next election.

Foxy said:

Keir is no Blair.

The MPs were idiots to ignore the clear desire for a fresh start, offering members only the lying clown’s number two and number three to choose from.

So members voted for the one of them who appeared to offer the most change. Sadly, not the change anyone wanted.
    In other words: three founding members of a literal lobbying company were in Downing Street advising Liz Truss as she drafted her budget.

They were paid via the company until The Sunday Times established derails of the unheard of arrangement. https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1576258757708828672
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Truss is as ideological and rigid in her libertarian, small state views as Corbyn was in his socialism yes. However she lacks even the charisma Corbyn had to express them, let alone Boris' charisma
    You would have been in the chorus calling for Thatcher's head before 1983. You have zero discernment in these matters. I do actually like your psephological approach, but it has limits, this is one.
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

If there was any sense within or thought behind what she is saying to all these good folks, you might actually have a point.
    “After the reception on Friday, at least two prominent hedge fund bosses told City associates that Kwarteng was “a useful idiot”. A senior Tory who advises business leaders said the phrase was in widespread circulation.”. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kwasi-kwartengs-budget-day-cocktail-party-with-financiers-who-profited-from-crash-kwdbs72g0

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.
    'Truss has the makings of a truly great PM'.

'What has that [the fact that she talks nonsense] got to do with anything?'

Mmmm...
    ping said:

Very funny.

Very fucking funny, PB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2022_Brazilian_presidential_election

Honestly surprised Bolsonaro is rating as high as he is.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

You would have been in the chorus calling for Thatcher's head before 1983. You have zero discernment in these matters. I do actually like your psephological approach, but it has limits, this is one.
    You remember 1979-82 well do you?

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.

Mmmm...
    That just makes her a politician as far as I am concerned.

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.
    Everything.
    Talking shit is every politician, everywhere, all the time. What do you think comes out of Nicola's gob, Rosebuds?

The conviction IS what matters, the TRUTH IS what matters, the bravery Is what matters. Would Nicola stand up to America? Fuck off would she.
    You were not talking about her. You were saying how glorious Ms Truss is, and now you compare her to the farmyard muckspreader?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

In other words: three founding members of a literal lobbying company were in Downing Street advising Liz Truss as she drafted her budget.

They were paid via the company until The Sunday Times established derails of the unheard of arrangement. https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1576258757708828672

Well, we’ve privatised most of the utilities.
    So we may as well privatise actual policy making?

Liz Truss is a dangerous maniac.
    Scott_xP said:

Incredible stuff in the big read from @ShippersUnbound tonight “Former ministers are openly discussing what would happen if Truss was ousted. “There would have to be a leader by acclamation,” one said. “And it would have to be Boris or Rishi. She’s finished already.”

First thing Boris and Rishi have agreed on for a long time. Both laughing themselves silly over Truss' first few weeks as PM tonight
  • murali_s said:

It won't take that long:

Two muppets comment
    You never give up do you

There has been an enormous amount of reasoned and sensible debate and you come along with your insults again

You have been described on here as 'idiosyncratic' by a poster and maybe you should look up the word and understand that your constant narrative of who is or is not the best or worst poster, or why someone is banned, or worse not only abusing me and wanting me off the site permanently, but also you did the same with @Casino_Royale recently

If you want to be respected engage with debate and cut out the personal animosity to various posters

Indeed you may feel quite good about yourself if you did

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Keir is no Blair.

The MPs were idiots to ignore the clear desire for a fresh start, offering members only the lying clown’s number two and number three to choose from.

So members voted for the one of them who appeared to offer the most change. Sadly, not the change anyone wanted.
    It was a bit weirder than that though. Because she was also the continuity 'I was loyal to the incredible Boris' candidate, so picked up the change vote, and the Boris vote, even though those two things are contradictory.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 8,989
    Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1576164965848961027?t=hWCqEXS7T-LSn0L9G-497A&s=19

Great summary of where the nation has gone wrong in recent decades.

He was a successful media commentator for a while after 1997. Sort of disappeared after that.
    Kwasi Kwarteng attended a private champagne reception with hedge fund managers hours after his mini budget

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1576261348295589889?s=20&t=lGgXif78ov7hsdqobiabxg
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,420

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

@hyufd I think has nailed his description and comparison with Corbyn and Boris and Truss's politics. What bits of what HYUFD says do you think is wrong?
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

First thing Boris and Rishi have agreed on for a long time. Both laughing themselves silly over Truss' first few weeks as PM tonight
    Hopefully even you would realise that you can’t sack a PM for being lazy, dishonest, hypocritical and incompetent, and then bring him back as if nothing had happened.
  • Talk TV (I know!) discussing the Mirror apologising to Kwasi for "wrongly captioning" an article about him.

Right decision. An embarrassing mistake. Better than responding by saying he isn't really black anyway.
    I give Kwarteng some credit on this - he just pointed out the picture wasn't him and let others put the boot in. So points to him on that - left him in the best light from the incident.

However, hasn't he one or two more important things to be doing than messing around on Twitter?
    edited October 2022

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.
    Everything.

And you are obviousy completely ignorant of SNP attitudes to TTIP and to the UKG attempt to open up the health services to the US commercial firms.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    My Finnish speaking brother is sitting next to me, combing Finnish twitter to finally unlock that “scandal” mentioned by Cicero a while ago.

Nowt.

I’m calling hevonpaska*

*horseshit.

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.

Mmmm...
    That just makes her a politician as far as I am concerned.
    Raise your ambition. Plenty of politicians avoid talking nonsense.

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

It won't take that long:

Yes but.

Mmmm...
    Quite. Cognitive dissonance somewhere, methinks.

Talk TV (I know!) discussing the Mirror apologising to Kwasi for "wrongly captioning" an article about him.

Right decision. An embarrassing mistake. Better than responding by saying he isn't really black anyway.
    I give Kwarteng some credit on this - he just pointed out the picture wasn't him and let others put the boot in. So points to him on that - left him in the best light from the incident.

However, hasn't he one or two more important things to be doing than messing around on Twitter?
    Pulling ideas out of his arse and deliberately not working on the details of those ideas (because it turns out people don't like it) doesn't take up much time.
    Scott_xP said:

Total kleptocracy now. Makes Nigeria or Venezuela look honest.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 8,989
    The trouble with a coronation is how can you stop Johnson standing as an alternative to Sunak? So long as someone else stands it has to go to the members right? Of course there is no need to change party leader. If Truss loses the confidence of the house she will have to suggest someone who can form a government. The obvious answer is Sunak.
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Hopefully even you would realise that you can’t sack a PM for being lazy, dishonest, hypocritical and incompetent, and then bring him back as if nothing had happened.
    It was never as bad as this with Boris
  • ping said:

Very funny.

Very fucking funny, PB.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I opened a Smarkets account specially to bet on Petro fir the Colombian election, doubling up when it became closer than I had expected. I am going in big on this one, and will give all my profits to help rainforest.

The trouble with a coronation is how can you stop Johnson standing as an alternative to Sunak? So long as someone else stands it has to go to the members right? Of course there is no need to change party leader. If Truss loses the confidence of the house she will have to suggest someone who can form a government. The obvious answer is Sunak.

Mm, that would involve admitting that the interests of the Conservative and Unionist Party are not congruent with those of the denizens of the United Kingdom.
  • The trouble with a coronation is how can you stop Johnson standing as an alternative to Sunak? So long as someone else stands it has to go to the members right? Of course there is no need to change party leader. If Truss loses the confidence of the house she will have to suggest someone who can form a government. The obvious answer is Sunak.

It is and Boris would be plain wrong

However, you do raise a valid point
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,798

She'd suggest Kwasi. Or JRM. Or Bone. Or Chope.
    And she'd suggest it with conviction, too.
This discussion has been closed.