Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

No overall majority back as favourite in the GE betting – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 57,972

Defense of Ukraine
    @DefenceU
    ·
    1h

Ukraine government organization
    The city center of Lyman today.
    Servicemen of the 81st Airborne Brigade and National Guard tore down the enemy's flags.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1576313811598200832
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,355
    Pro_Rata said:

Prediction:
    Remember when Labour led by 5-10pts and everyone reminded PB Labour of swing back, and a number of us said, but how do you
    know the swing back starts from here.

I'm now going to declare u that the swing back starts from around here.

The next few months will firm up the current
    collapse. leads will solidify in the high 20s during the winter, but they won't get much worse whatever hardships we endure. Weay see an isolated lead above 33%, but it won't be the no to m.

My impression of polling round previous major market crises is that the loss of control in the crisis itself is what hits the polling, and the effect on people's pockets afterwards merely solidifies the initial shift.

The Tories will agonise over getting rid of Truss, it will be no more clinical than the defenestration of Boris, and it will take several cycles of humiliation to get there. The Tory selectorate doesn't wieldvthe knife like Brutus, more like Eric Bristow with his worst bout of the yips.

But they will and they will start to claw back some lost ground.

Council elections aren't so far turned in Labour's favour yet. I remember the analysis that showed bad signs for Miliband around the 2015 poll, best PM polling, approval, underperformance in Locals. It isn't a done deal, the Locals are the last mixed sign Labour has to put to bed.

All of a sudden I feel like one of a minority grouping who are definitely not voting Labour under any circumstance, and will tell a pollster that if asked.

It was not the removal of the top rate of tax that created problems on various markets for UK, so the poll collapse is both dislike for the politics and ideology and loss in confidence in them on managing the economy, a double whammy. Once Truss ousted the Tory’s need to expunge the memory of both those hits.

If between now and the general election it drifts back to just a 10pt pv of 31 and 41, that’s still a working majority to working majority. It suddenly feels Lib Dems are big losers too in this change unless they can borrow manynlabour votes in anti Tory tactical voting to ramp number of MPs up in a way polls just won’t tell us. 😕
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 6,981

Pro_Rata said:

Prediction:
    Remember when Labour led by 5-10pts and everyone reminded PB Labour of swing back, and a number of us said, but how do you

collapse. leads will solidify in the high 20s during the winter, but they won't get much worse whatever hardships we endure. Weay see an isolated lead above 33%, but it won't be the no to m.

My impression of polling round previous major market crises is that the loss of control in the crisis itself is what hits the polling, and the effect on people's pockets afterwards merely solidifies the initial shift.

The Tories will agonise over getting rid of Truss, it will be no more clinical than the defenestration of Boris, and it will take several cycles of humiliation to get there. The Tory selectorate doesn't wieldvthe knife like Brutus, more like Eric Bristow with his worst bout of the yips.

Council elections aren't so far turned in Labour's favour yet. I remember the analysis that showed bad signs for Miliband around the 2015 poll, best PM polling, approval, underperformance in Locals. It isn't a done deal, the Locals are the last mixed sign Labour has to put to bed.

All of a sudden I feel like one of a minority grouping who are definitely not voting Labour under any circumstance, and will tell a pollster that if asked.

It was not the removal of the top rate of tax that created problems on various markets for UK, so the poll collapse is both dislike for the politics and ideology and loss in confidence in them on managing the economy, a double whammy. Once Truss ousted the Tory’s need to expunge the memory of both those hits.

If between now and the general election it drifts back to just a 10pt pv of 31 and 41, that’s still a working majority to working majority. It suddenly feels Lib Dems are big losers too in this change unless they can borrow manynlabour votes in anti Tory tactical voting to ramp number of MPs up in a way polls just won’t tell us. 😕
    But will you be voting Conservative?

The LibDems were unlucky to lose their conference to the period of national mourning.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,243
    dixiedean said:

All this shows what a great politician Boris was.
    He kept the fundamental issues hidden.

The problem with Boris though is that he was like the extra drinks towards the end of a night out when you should go home, know it has to end sometime, but that doing so will be painful. He could get away with stuff by just straightforwardly lying, and eventually that was going to run into reality. But with her hardline libertarian economics, Truss has ensured the reality it's run into is a brick wall rather than a gradual unwinding of positions that were too good to be true but might've got away with due to tough times.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,995

HYUFD said:
    That's a really cool photo.

Truss needs to just keep calm and carry on and implement her agenda. Don't give a f**k about midterm opinion polls which are meaningless.

U-turning, putting taxes up and being a poundshop Gordon Brown in office but not in power would serve no purpose.

Continuing, getting some growth going and lower taxes, may win some respect. U-turning serves no purpose, the people who want higher taxes will still vote for Starmer anyway.
    To get growth going, she’ll have to actually come up with some policies to get growth going.
    I think we will have got it wrong if we rely on that budget alone as their entire growth plan, I’m sure they have other idea’s for the coming months.

However growth only comes from investment, in people, infrastructure etc, so I’m curious where they will now find the money for growth creating investments. The UK credit card is already maxed out to the point of no longer working. 🤔
    Indeed.

I’m sure they have other ideas too. I kinda suspect they’ll be as terrible as their first tranche of ideas.
    I kinda suspect you are right, not real money found for proper investment, more likely welfare state hand outs holds back entrepreneurship and growth, too many in higher education could be better utilised as galley slaves powering Britain Forward, our far too generous benefits system creates unemployment and idleness etc
    I would suggest identifying what the UK is good at and doing more of that. So, what are some areas that the country excels in?

We punch way above our size when it comes to our university sector… but the Tories have already decided that our universities are hotbeds of wokedom.

We have world leading television production with the BBC and Channel 4… oh, yeah, the Tories don’t like them either.

We’re good at green energy… but Truss would rather we frack and we keep solar panels out of fields.
    The UK is genuinely good at finance, and unlike the above list, finance exports pay a significant share of the bills for other sectors in the UK like the NHS. But the people who hate the budget also say there should be less finance and the people in finance are avaricious and should earn far less money while paying the same amount of tax of course.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,694
    edited October 2022

euters
    @Reuters
    ·
    3h
    Front-runner Lula close to outright win in Brazil election, poll shows

Mate of mine in Brazil can't get a permanent academic job because Bolsonaro cut all the funding because "universities are full of Marxists apparently".
    Good riddance of that wannabe Trump w***er.
    Let’s hope so.
    Unfortunately Bolsonaro will probably have more loons with guns to challenge the stolen election, and some of them may even be wearing uniforms.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,355

Pro_Rata said:

Prediction:

But will you be voting Conservative?

The LibDems were unlucky to lose their conference to the period of national mourning.
    I will be voting Lib Dem. Both parents and dear gf still voting Conservative as of yesterday. Kinda exciting actually knowing people who now belong to a minority sect 🤭

My friend Snookie was at the Green Conference this week. Another minority sect, like the Tories and Corbyn left. 🤭 Did you see any of the Green Conference on TV? Why the fuck do they have to wear green like forest spirits? I said to snooks “were you wearing green?” She answeres “I had mini skirt on with green tights.” 🤦‍♀️
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 6,981
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Truss needs to just keep calm and carry on and implement her agenda. Don't give a f**k about midterm opinion polls which are meaningless.

U-turning, putting taxes up and being a poundshop Gordon Brown in office but not in power would serve no purpose.

Continuing, getting some growth going and lower taxes, may win some respect. U-turning serves no purpose, the people who want higher taxes will still vote for Starmer anyway.
    To get growth going, she’ll have to actually come up with some policies to get growth going.
    I think we will have got it wrong if we rely on that budget alone as their entire growth plan, I’m sure they have other idea’s for the coming months.

However growth only comes from investment, in people, infrastructure etc, so I’m curious where they will now find the money for growth creating investments. The UK credit card is already maxed out to the point of no longer working. 🤔
    Indeed.

I’m sure they have other ideas too. I kinda suspect they’ll be as terrible as their first tranche of ideas.
    I kinda suspect you are right, not real money found for proper investment, more likely welfare state hand outs holds back entrepreneurship and growth, too many in higher education could be better utilised as galley slaves powering Britain Forward, our far too generous benefits system creates unemployment and idleness etc
    I would suggest identifying what the UK is good at and doing more of that. So, what are some areas that the country excels in?

We punch way above our size when it comes to our university sector… but the Tories have already decided that our universities are hotbeds of wokedom.

We have world leading television production with the BBC and Channel 4… oh, yeah, the Tories don’t like them either.

We’re good at green energy… but Truss would rather we frack and we keep solar panels out of fields.
    The UK is genuinely good at finance, and unlike the above list, finance exports pay a significant share of the bills for other sectors in the UK like the NHS. But the people who hate the budget also say there should be less finance and the people in finance are avaricious and should earn far less money while paying the same amount of tax of course.
    Universities bring in a lot of foreign money, good for the balance of trade.

The finance sector does poorly at stimulating other sectors of the economy and, in 2008, did a lot to wreck the economy! But, sure, let’s support a buoyant finance sector. I suggest closer alignment to the EU would do more good there than fiddling with bankers’ bonus rules.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,886

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

This week I have appeared in 4 LinkedIn searches. Being retired I don't appear in many. 2 of those searches are the US Department of Defence and the USAF. Should I be worried?

Yes.

In all seriousness you probably share a name with someone they’re interested in, maybe a potential recruit or, more likely, potential contractor.

Feel privileged. I’m a practicing solicitor and you’ve appeared in 3 more searches than me this week.
    I deleted my LinkedIn profile years ago when it started being nothing more than a mailing database for recruiters and people selling courses. I have zero regrets...
    Never had one. I have zero regrets...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,886

Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    Incredible stuff in the big read from
    @ShippersUnbound
    tonight “Former ministers are openly discussing what would happen if Truss was ousted. “There would have to be a leader by acclamation,” one said. “And it would have to be Boris or Rishi. She’s finished already.”

I'm on both at 12 and 11 respectively.

It would have to be Wallace.

Rishi as Chancellor.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,602

euters
    @Reuters
    ·
    3h

Mate of mine in Brazil can't get a permanent academic job because Bolsonaro cut all the funding because "universities are full of Marxists apparently".
    Not a policy I agree with but Bolsonaro's policy was actually just to focus public funding on engineering, medicine and veterinary science which deliver most return for the taxpayer rather than cut all university funding

https://theconversation.com/brazilian-universities-fear-bolsonaro-plan-to-eliminate-humanities-and-slash-public-education-budgets-117530
  • Hello_CloudsHello_Clouds Posts: 97
    edited October 2022
    What's happened to the residents of Lyman? They don't seem to be appearing in many of the videos.

And was a deal done to allow the Russian military to evacuate?

Kadyrov is calling for Russia to use a low-yield nuke. The Guardian says he posted to this effect on Telegram. They imply he said it in connection with Lyman. (I haven't got Telegram and can't check.)
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 17,940
    edited October 2022

euters
    @Reuters
    ·
    3h

Good if democracy has prevailed in Brazil, I was worried that Bolsanaro might achieve what Trump wanted to.

Good riddance to him. Bolsonaro is no friend of 'Conservative' politics, he's a vile wannabe fascist like Trump.

However Lula is not much better.
  • euters
    @Reuters
    ·
    3h

Good if democracy has prevailed in Brazil, I was worried that Bolsanaro might achieve what Trump wanted to.

Good riddance to him. Bolsonaro is no friend of 'Conservative' politics, he's a vile wannabe fascist like Trump.

However Lula is not much better.
    The second round is still to come in four weeks' time.
  • Pro_Rata said:

Prediction:

So you'll be voting Tory then? I think you just make it up as you go along
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,352
    Putin versus the FSB?

"The prisoner swap between Russia and Ukraine in late September was approved by Russian President Vladimir Putin over the objections of his top security service, the FSB, which had concerns about a public backlash in Russia, according to senior Ukrainian and U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

The nearly 300-person swap, the largest exchange of prisoners since the war started in February, involved the release of 215 Ukrainians, 55 Russians, a Putin confidant and 10 foreign nationals, including two Americans."
    source($): https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/01/prisoner-exchange-putin-fsb-ukraine/

The FSB didn’t think almost 4-1 was a fair trade. There is speculation that the “confidant” explains why Putin accepted the deal, anyway.

(Those who helped make the trade happen include Roman Abramovich, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.)

• EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

The finance sector does poorly at stimulating other sectors of the economy and, in 2008, did a lot to wreck the economy! But, sure, let’s support a buoyant finance sector. I suggest closer alignment to the EU would do more good there than fiddling with bankers’ bonus rules.

EU policy was all about trying to destroy the supremacy of the British finance industry. Why on earth would we want to return to that?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,352
    (Should have mentioned that I cross posted that previous comment on Putin and the FSB at Patterico's Pontifications.)
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,995
    edited October 2022

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

The universities pay for themselves and, to an extent, for pensions tied to funds investing in rental property.

Finance gets taxed to the hilt, paying for everyone else to write and moan.

Prohibiting bonuses is not "fiddling with rules", it is instructing people who want to make the market rate to work in Singapore or the United States.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 24,940
    edited October 2022

darkage said:

Perhaps Truss is going after the net zero, "green crap" in her forthcoming cuts, thus putting her on a collision course with the King ?

She hates solar for some reason.

Maybe it is all that daylight.
    Maybe it's because we live in a cloudy, rainy, and fairly overcast country where solar power stations are a waste of everyone's time?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2022

darkage said:

Perhaps Truss is going after the net zero, "green crap" in her forthcoming cuts, thus putting her on a collision course with the King ?

She hates solar for some reason.

Maybe it is all that daylight.
    Maybe it's because we live in a cloudy, rainy, and fairly overcast country where solar power stations are a waste of everyone's time?
    They aren't on top of buildings, and we've got plenty of massive sheds that should have them.

I'm not terribly convinced on good agricultural land (which I think the rejected one in Notts was) - if it must be on the ground then there's plenty of restored land not far away, including mine waste tips.

• Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    @ShippersUnbound
    tonight “Former ministers are openly discussing what would happen if Truss was ousted. “There would have to be a leader by acclamation,” one said. “And it would have to be Boris or Rishi. She’s finished already.”

Rishi as Chancellor.
    It won't be Wallace because of some very silly things he said/did as a fresh-faced backbencher.

Truss is a catastrophe that will break the country and probably the Conservatives as a party, but Tory MPs are stupid cowards who will find any excuse not to act until the electorate disembowels them in 2024.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,259
    edited October 2022

We assume the Tories will pull it back because they often have in the last decade.

But they never did in 1997, or 2001, or 2005. I believe we are there again.

There was a significant swingback to the Tories just on election night itself in 1997.

The BBC exit poll was Lab 47%, Con 29%. The result was Lab 44.4%, Con 31.4%. 13% lead instead of 18%.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 24,940

Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    @ShippersUnbound

Rishi as Chancellor.
    It won't be Wallace because of some very silly things he said/did as a fresh-faced backbencher.

Truss is a catastrophe that will break the country and probably the Conservatives as a party, but Tory MPs are stupid cowards who will find any excuse not to act until the electorate disembowels them in 2024.
    In this case, their cowardice will serve them well. Truss is the real deal. She'll be a great PM, and the wobblers on here as well as those in parliament will regret their rather pathetic and spineless yowling for her to go.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,965

Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    @ShippersUnbound

Rishi as Chancellor.

In this case, their cowardice will serve them well. Truss is the real deal. She'll be a great PM, and the wobblers on here as well as those in parliament will regret their rather pathetic and spineless yowling for her to go.
    Yes, all those thousands of market traders and institutional investors selling the pound are just scaredy cats.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,005

Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    @ShippersUnbound

Rishi as Chancellor.

And there are no tanks in Baghdad?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,673
    edited October 2022

Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    @ShippersUnbound

Rishi as Chancellor.

Are you mad or just trying to be provocative?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,673
    edited October 2022
    Signs of trouble to come:

I have never seen a briefing operation by Buckingham Palace against a prime minister similar to the one in the Sunday Times

King Charles III is going to be a wholly different and more politically interventionist monarch to his mother

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1576310424890331137

The last time a King Charles locked horns with Parliament we had a civil war and the King lost his head (note, I don't think anything will happen while the Tories are in power as they are too unpopular now for anyone to rally to their cause against an "interventionist" Monarch... but when King Charles III goes against a policy of the coming Labour government, as he inevitably will because that's what he does, wait for shit to hit the fan)

In the end, King Charles III is not up to it and in five years he could well destroy everything his mother spent 70 years cultivating.

Wait and watch. 👀
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,790
    GIN1138 said:

I have never seen a briefing operation by Buckingham Palace against a prime minister similar to the one in the Sunday Times

King Charles III is going to be a wholly different and more politically interventionist monarch to his mother

The last time a King Charles locked horns with Parliament we had a civil war and the King lost his head (note, I don't think anything will happen while the Tories are in power as they are too unpopular now for anyone to rally to their cause against an "interventionist" Monarch... but when King Charles III goes against a policy of the coming Labour government, as he inevitably will because that's what he does, wait for shit to hit the fan)

In the end, King Charles III is not up to it and in five years he could well destroy everything his mother spent 70 years cultivating.

Wait and watch. 👀

Imagine if Trudeau, Ardern and the rest of the nations Charles is King of (Most of which are in the front lines of rising sea levels) ask him to go !
    I note Wills has got involved in favour of the Online harms bill too...
  • Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Wait and watch. 👀

Imagine if Trudeau, Ardern and the rest of the nations Charles is King of (Most of which are in the front lines of rising sea levels) ask him to go !
    We need a republic, these unelected rulers need to run for election if they want a say in politics.

Her late Majesty knew to give counsel to PMs in private, but to keep it private. She was a good monarch, but that doesn't make it a good system, neither Wills nor Charles are fit to replace her.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,790
    I do hope Credit Suisse has only lent out money they have in in deposits.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,147
    Pulpstar said:

I do hope Credit Suisse has only lent out money they have in in deposits.

I see they were involved with Greensill.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,133
    edited October 2022

What's happened to the residents of Lyman? They don't seem to be appearing in many of the videos.

The Russians took Lyman at the end of May, after it was known what they did at Bucha. Then Ukraine took it back several weeks into a counter-offensive where it was an obvious target. In between it was full of Russian soldiers which probably doesn't make for a pleasant living environment. Anyone whether of a pro-Ukraine or a pro-Russian disposition who can get out in that situation will have got out in advance of one or the other of those things. Any sane person who is still there and knows that it's being recaptured by Ukraine but there may still be some Russian units there is going to stay indoors.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,605

The Russians took Lyman at the end of May, after it was known what they did at Bucha. Then Ukraine took it back several weeks into a counter-offensive where it was an obvious target. In between it was full of Russian soldiers which probably doesn't make for a pleasant living environment. Anyone whether of a pro-Ukraine or a pro-Russian disposition who can get out in that situation will have got out in advance of one or the other of those things. Any sane person who is still there and knows that it's being recaptured by Ukraine but there may still be some Russian units there is going to stay indoors.
    Journalists who have been to the recently liberated areas of Kharkiv oblast say that there is a lot of fear among the residential population that the Russians will be back, and so no-one wants to say anything that would make themselves a target for the occupation a second time around.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,602

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Wait and watch. 👀

We need a republic, these unelected rulers need to run for election if they want a say in politics.

Her late Majesty knew to give counsel to PMs in private, but to keep it private. She was a good monarch, but that doesn't make it a good system, neither Wills nor Charles are fit to replace her.
    Rubbish there is nothing controversial about tackling climate change or online safety
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,052
    edited October 2022
    Deleted.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 54,971

Steve Hawkes
    @steve_hawkes
    ·
    3h
    @ShippersUnbound

Rishi as Chancellor.
    I've placed next PM bets on Gove at 40/1, Wallace at 25/1, Raab at 66/1 and May at 100/1 today. Value.

I won't be Boris. That's just hopecasting.

It could be Rishi but I'm not buying at current odds.
This discussion has been closed.