Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s speech gets a good reception – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Congratulations to @GiorgiaMeloni on her party's success in the Italian elections.

From supporting Ukraine to addressing global economic challenges, the UK and Italy are close allies. 🇬🇧🇮🇹

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1574476937015304192?s=46&t=UjLejN7sri8-lM915-SOwQ

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

Perhaps, but I think in good grace you should give Meloni half a chance.
    No doubt people said the same about Hitler.
    FFS. Meloni is not Hitler

No more than ex-communist Nick Palmer is Pol Pot, nor many other senior Labour figures who dallied with Far Left politics when younger
    Absolutely right. People are being silly about the labelling here. In the bigger picture Our current UK government is to the right of Meloni’s, because UK electorate more right wing than italys.
    Indeed

Tho I’m not sure the UK is further right than Italy

You can hear Hard Right views expressed openly in Italy that you simply don’t in the UK

FWIW I think all the western world is moving sharply to the right on matters of things like migration, even as they often become “left” in social attitudes, or perhaps more secular

A complex picture
    Unfortunately many of the people we let in as refugees are criminals. Some beyond that are near so.

The weird people that haunt traffic queues should all be sent in their way.
  • Options

One good thing to come out of this should be the death of populism/ cakeism. Yes, it’s a bit of a laugh to vote for Corbyn/ Johnson/ Brexit, but it’s now been shown to have real world consequences that not even the densest voter could miss.

Johnson could be back by xmas.
    Can’t see how he’d get the MPs.
    Invite them to one of his legendary parties?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    Pulpstar said:

Lol economist reckons markets are calmed because of the high likelihood of a Labour govt and BoE interventions. No confidence in the Tories at all.

Given a labour government is 2 years away i call bullshit on the former, and an economist should know better
  • Options

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

geoffw said:

It is said Russia has to keep pumping gas to prevent water getting into the NS1/2 pipes. Why can't they pump air in instead?
    Anyone know - @rcs1000, @Malmesbury, @Richard_Tyndall, other techies?

No - you dont need to pump or store gas (or nitrogen or dry air) to keep water out. The pipeline will do that by itself. A leaking pipeline indicates a massive quality failure due to poor welding workmanship and is almost unheard of in a modern 'sweet gas' pipeline. (Almost). To have three simultaneous leaks can only be intentional, ie sabotage. The only question is by who??
    How does the pipeline do that by itself if it has a great big hole (or holes) in it?
    A pipeline doesnt have a great big hole in it unless it is 'introduced' by sabotage. Once it has a big hole in it and is flooded by seawater it is f###ed. If you plug the hole, then flush the line with fresh water to clean out the salt water then purge it with nitrogen you might be able to recover it...but if you dont do it quickly you will lose the pipeline to corrosion. Maybe not totally - maybe just a reduced working life - but you will lose it.
    The media assumption seems to be the pictures are of natural gas streaming out.

@geoffw's excellent question was "It is said Russia has to keep pumping gas to prevent water getting into the NS1/2 pipes. Why can't they pump air in instead?"

But maybe it's just the gas contents on the pipe spewing out as it is displaced by seawater? In which case the gas will stop soon (assuming the Russians are not still pumping gas in at their end).
    If you keep pumping gas, it cannot ignite. If you mix gas and air you are effectively creating a bomb. Ignition / burning requires oxygen at over 15%. In air it is about 21%

BOOM! BOOM!
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 825

maxh said:

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Incidentally has Reeves or Starmer actually discussed with the Teaching Hospitals how they double the number of Medical Students? It would be quite a building programme, and I am not convinced there are enough candidates of the right calibre. At present 75% of applicants are successful, albeit many on their second application.

75% doesn't sound right to me? I've seen 17% success rate online, even with second applications that seems unlikely.

The UK medical schools have already called for a big increase in student numbers, I doubt they will mind Starmers ambition.
    https://www.medschools.ac.uk/news/medical-schools-call-for-increase-in-doctors-to-support-nhs-recovery-and-sustainability
    I sit on our admissions panels, and that is the figure that I have been quoted by our application team. Of course more may apply if they thought they could get in.

I don't have a problem with expansion, but quite how we manage isn't obvious. There are only so many good clinical teachers.

Foxy said:

Incidentally has Reeves or Starmer actually discussed with the Teaching Hospitals how they double the number of Medical Students? It would be quite a building programme, and I am not convinced there are enough candidates of the right calibre. At present 75% of applicants are successful, albeit many on their second application.

Seeing as many of them will end up as GPs I think 3 Es at A-level should be an adequate pass rate, or perhaps an apprentice scheme might suffice.
    Being a GP is a very tough job, with nowhere near the resources of us hospital staff. They need to be particularly sharp clinicians.
    I can well believe that is what they all tell us.
    Odd comments, @Nigel_Foremain. Whatever our experience of GPs right now might be (our practice is awful), it is entirely obvious that it is a complicated, subtle job tht is hard to do well. One comment might be passed off as flippant (nothing wrong with that) but to come back for a second bite of the cherry suggests you really mean it. Why this view of GPs?
    At one time I worked with them. A lot are hard working enough, and some are pleasant and bright but intellectual colossuses they are not. My view is that they no more need to be drawn top performers at school than any other profession. Being a GP is not an intellectual pursuit. If it were, they would not chose to be GPs. IMO, if we need GPs at all (questionable - many countries do not) it is perfectly possible for them to have a different entry requirement, thereby segmenting the profession at entry level. It really isn't difficult.
    You comment was 'I think 3 Es at A-level should be an adequate pass rate'. When did you last meet someone who got 3 Es at A-level? I wouldn't want them trying to diagnose a thyroid cancer.

I'm not sure that many branches of practicing medicine are really intelectual pursuits. Surgeons, for example?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Congratulations to @GiorgiaMeloni on her party's success in the Italian elections.

From supporting Ukraine to addressing global economic challenges, the UK and Italy are close allies. 🇬🇧🇮🇹

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1574476937015304192?s=46&t=UjLejN7sri8-lM915-SOwQ

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

No more than ex-communist Nick Palmer is Pol Pot, nor many other senior Labour figures who dallied with Far Left politics when younger
    Absolutely right. People are being silly about the labelling here. In the bigger picture Our current UK government is to the right of Meloni’s, because UK electorate more right wing than italys.
    Italy is more socially conservative than the UK, it is one of the only western nations still not to have gay marriage. It also has a lower abortion time limit and is more anti immigration
    In terms of economics how do you call it?

Social, economic is all important, but economic trumps the social.
  • Options
    Denmarks defence minister to meet NATO S/G tomorrow, no doubt to discuss response to the pipeline attack
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

Indeed

You can hear Hard Right views expressed openly in Italy that you simply don’t in the UK

FWIW I think all the western world is moving sharply to the right on matters of things like migration, even as they often become “left” in social attitudes, or perhaps more secular

A complex picture
    Unfortunately many of the people we let in as refugees are criminals. Some beyond that are near so.

Many of the people already here, are criminals.
  • Options

One good thing to come out of this should be the death of populism/ cakeism. Yes, it’s a bit of a laugh to vote for Corbyn/ Johnson/ Brexit, but it’s now been shown to have real world consequences that not even the densest voter could miss.

Johnson could be back by xmas.
    Can’t see how he’d get the MPs.
    Boris needs Truss to hang on longer. In 2024, Boris will have survived the Privileges Committee (and if not, the point is moot) and Tory MPs will be at their most anxious, so if Truss's polling is still underwater, Operation Get Big Dog Back To Save Our Seats will swing into operation. If Truss were to fall now, Rishi would be the obvious replacement to stabilise the economy. Forget Gove and Wallace!
  • Options
    Don't you need minimum 3 As to study Medicine
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

It seems to me that this really is going to be Labour decade.

We spoke about the Tories dominating, that time has passed. I think the Tories will now be out of power for a generation, maybe even 20 years.

They like molesting teenagers?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,195
    rkrkrk said:

@Foxy - https://www.gponline.com/medical-school-applications-fifth-2021/article/1708144
    A 75% acceptance rate can't be right.

If 15% get in, I could easily believe that the next 15% could be excellent doctors as well.

I would imagine also that UK training is better than that of many other countries we recruit from.

IIRC about 25% of doctors were trained abroad, but they make up about 60% of doctors struck off by the GMC. Unless the GMC are racist, that points to a problem of some size.

Of course these days many foreign-born doctors are trained here, so sometimes it's hard to get the stats right - foreign-born vs foreign-trained.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

Indeed

A complex picture

Many of the people already here, are criminals.
    Point them out, and I'll have a van come and collect them.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I see according to some in Labour I'm superficially a brown man.

Magnificent.

"Culturally white" is the most recent one I've had said to/about me. From a self appointed "anti-racist" too. Wankers.
    Polite way of saying coconut isn't it?

Wankers indeed.
    I was going to say that it's surprising that some people, otherwise being against racism, still think (correctly) that they can get away with such things, but I'm really not surprised at all.

It's not hard to not do. Yes, apologies will get made, as in this case, which is about all that can be demanded I guess, but such comment is not made in the heat of the moment, its considered and deliberate, so whilst apologies have to be made it's generally pretty clear what the genuine feeling is.

And it gives cover to more 'overt' racism to boot. Fantastic.

But then I say that as a white man on behalf of non whites everywhere.
    It is amusing, recently I had to listen a non racist white person tell me that it seems like I'm betraying my cultures and people by only ever being in relationships with white people.

It's the kind of logic the National Front espouse.
    That's where Wokery ends.

Which is why I oppose it. Sounds like you do too.
    I don't really think it's anything to do with woke. It's just another variation on the old story of many people not being willing to try to understand why someone might disagree with them, but simply looking for a quick way of declaring the opposing view invalid.

It happened before woke. It will happen after woke. After all, I had a monarchist on here tell me I disagreed with monarchism only because I was autistic. That's the same sort of insulting approach to dismissing someone for having a different point of view.
    Nah, it's Woke. Because everything is judged through the prism of skin colour - whites are culturally appropriating non-whites and non whites are sell outs the other way. Woke. It's about groups not individuals. Woke.

Understand it.

And you are definitely autistic if you're a republican. Or an intellectual snob. You pick.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited September 2022

Probably not, but you might need 3 As (or even 3 A*s) to get into medical school in the first place.

ETA the serious point is that getting into medical school might be harder than actually studying medicine, because there are not enough places.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

PB finance brainstrust.

If gilts are collapsing in value then are not Defined Benefit pensions in deep shite?

Well, it's complicated.

But no, they're not (necessarily) fucked. But they will be under more pressure, but that's for a different reason.

Re gilts: if you were going to hold the gilts until redemption (which your average pension fund is), then you will recieve exactly the same flow of interest payments as previously.

However, because inflation is higher (and therefore salaries will be too), the pension funds future liabilities will be greater. Therefore there is more pressure on them, and firms will probably need to make additional payments, at exactly the same time they're under pressure for other reasons.
    Their ongoing cost of replacement is lower and they get a better yield, I'd guess that pension funds will do better than most out of falling gilt prices. When it gets really hairy is if 10y+ gilts get downgraded as loads of pension funds have rules around asset quality. They fudged them when the UK lost the AAA rating but not sure they could fudge if UK debt gets any significant downgrades.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

And they were right to do so. You have to judge people by their actions rather than your expectation of their actions.
    Mussolini should be the prior reference for Meloni, before Hitler (or Pavelic, or Franco). She's a fascist, leader of the Italian fascist party which has been through a couple of incarnations since it marched on Rome 100 years ago.
  • Options

Probably not, but you might need 3 As (or even 3 A*s) to get into medical school in the first place.
    I think there used to be a 3 C's minimum, which is like 3 A-stars now.
  • Options
    On the BBC on election night, George Osborne and Ed Balls were in the studio as the polls closed. "We are now entering the Boris Johnson Era" were Osborne's first words after the result came through.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Voters can be formidably dense.
    Lol! Churchill's saying comes to mind - 'One's faith in democracy is unlikely to last beyond five minutes conversation with a constituent'.
  • Options
    stodge said:

And the Tories are now doing a right-wing Corbynism.

The interesting question is how quickly will the milk sour for Labour and how rapidly will the Tories recover in opposition.

They're going to have a very shitty in-tray. Worth remembering that in 1997 it couldn't really have been better.

What will help Starmer and the other parties is first it will take the Conservatives a fair while to understand they are no longer in power but in Opposition - last time it took them 8 years and three leaders. The same may be true this time.

Second, and here I'm going to be blunt, after 14 years of listening to the Conservatives, people will be happy to be able to ignore them. No one will be interested in what Badenoch or Wallace will say and it will take a while before anyone is prepared to give them a hearing.

Third, "surely no one wants Jones back" - it worked in Animal Farm and could work at Westminster too (is there any difference?). The Opposition parties will remember how the Conservatives comported themselves in office and how the Opposition was treated and the very mechanisms which the Conservatives created will now be used against them. The other parties may disagree on anything and everything but they'll be united against the Conservatives.
    That's alot of projection though based upon what you already think.

It may turn out that way; it may not.

I think politics is much more unpredictable these days and febrile.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

"Culturally white" is the most recent one I've had said to/about me. From a self appointed "anti-racist" too. Wankers.

Wankers indeed.
    I was going to say that it's surprising that some people, otherwise being against racism, still think (correctly) that they can get away with such things, but I'm really not surprised at all.

It's not hard to not do. Yes, apologies will get made, as in this case, which is about all that can be demanded I guess, but such comment is not made in the heat of the moment, its considered and deliberate, so whilst apologies have to be made it's generally pretty clear what the genuine feeling is.

It is amusing, recently I had to listen a non racist white person tell me that it seems like I'm betraying my cultures and people by only ever being in relationships with white people.

I don't really think it's anything to do with woke. It's just another variation on the old story of many people not being willing to try to understand why someone might disagree with them, but simply looking for a quick way of declaring the opposing view invalid.

It happened before woke. It will happen after woke. After all, I had a monarchist on here tell me I disagreed with monarchism only because I was autistic. That's the same sort of insulting approach to dismissing someone for having a different point of view.
    You touch on the heart of the matter. Woke is lazy thinking. It enables lazy and immature people to believe they are right because the prejudices they espouse are fashionable and therefore go unchallenged.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Surely we just need to attack the woke signs in Waterloo Station again, that's how to win elections
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

And they were right to do so. You have to judge people by their actions rather than your expectation of their actions.
    Mussolini should be the prior reference for Meloni, before Hitler (or Pavelic, or Franco). She's a fascist, leader of the Italian fascist party which has been through a couple of incarnations since it marched on Rome 100 years ago.
    I don't like the comparison, but you're right to make it.

• Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Nah, it's Woke. Because everything is judged through the prism of skin colour - whites are culturally appropriating non-whites and non whites are sell outs the other way. Woke. It's about groups not individuals. Woke.

Understand it.

And you are definitely autistic if you're a republican. Or an intellectual snob. You pick.
    You're as bad as the woke.
  • Options

Surely we just need to attack the woke signs in Waterloo Station again, that's how to win elections

Young Battery Bloke - If you find yourself attacking signs you're well on your way to madness.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

You're as bad as the woke.
    Nope. The Woke are the problem.

You're just a bit thick.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Young Battery Bloke - If you find yourself attacking signs you're well on your way to madness.
    He's been called out by his own side for his juvenile football supporter Labour behaviour over the last few nights. It's almost as embarrassing as his incessant neediness (You alright mate? Love you mate!) and chronic insecurity.

If he wants respect (and he can absolutely get it) then he needs to confine himself to measured commentary that speaks for itself.
  • Options

Omnium said:

He's been called out by his own side for his juvenile football supporter Labour behaviour over the last few nights. It's almost as embarrassing as his incessant neediness (You alright mate? Love you mate!) and chronic insecurity.

If he wants respect (and he can absolutely get it) then he needs to confine himself to measured commentary that speaks for itself.
    I cannot imagine why you might have posted the above.
  • Options
    Further to the Denmark NATO meeting tomorrow, Denmarks PM has ruled out an accident and confirmed a deliberate act. With the imminemt land grab in Ukraine events might start spiralling out of control. Eyes on etc
  • Options
    PeterMPeterM Posts: 302

We spoke about the Tories dominating, that time has passed. I think the Tories will now be out of power for a generation, maybe even 20 years.

not sure...Labour will struggle to find the money for their social programmes so could become unpopular very quickly
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    PeterM said:

not sure...Labour will struggle to find the money for their social programmes so could become unpopular very quickly
    They wont have the golden goose legacy this time, they will VERY quickky become toxic id imagine. Infighting very early on due to tough decisions etc
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

You touch on the heart of the matter. Woke is lazy thinking. It enables lazy and immature people to believe they are right because the prejudices they espouse are fashionable and therefore go unchallenged.
    Isn't that true of the anti-woke culture warriors too? If everyone just got on with their own lives and didn't interfere with everyone else's, we would all get along a whole lot better.
    The point is that Woke prescribes what people of different skin colour can and can't do based on their skin colour and perception on where such groups sit in an imagined power hierarchy.

It is the antithesis of liberalism and enlightenment values and, well, rather racist to boot.

Like @Peter_the_Punter says it's fashionable and people echo it because they're too dumb/lazy to think it through.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,212
    rcs1000 said:

PeterM said:

Finally, I think 'Great British Energy', in public ownership, is a big winner.

Yes it will be

I’m not keen. State competing with private simply won’t work well.
    It will be popular though. I'd rather we went all in and grabbed hold of 100% of our needs in energy and food. Fuck globalism, its over
    Globalism isn’t over. It’s only just begun.

It’s also unbeatable.
    Populism will defeat globalism. Watch this space.
    Not If moderatism defeates populism first.
    This winter will do for moderatism. Also watch this space.
    i honestly think the only chance for the conservatives now as the economy is screwed is to go full on bnp lite to get the red wall votes...start talking about things like an immigration freeze..fight a full on culture wars battle
    Yes, if not there is scope for a red wall friendly populist movement to really grab the long term trend away from Labour there. But they need to get motivated and organised now
    They’ve not shown any great inclination or effort to really understand or tune into the dynamics of the red wall or build upon that voter base (one of the greatest party political failings of the Tories in the past 3 years - and Liz is even less convincing than BoJo and Rishi on that front) so good luck with that…
    Whuch is why i said there is scope for a red wall friendly populist movement. The red wall is leaving labour, has been for nearly 20 years, somebody can cash in if the Tories are too thick to
    The idea that the red wall is full of racists is one of the most depressing and appalling ideas mooted here. Its really not.

The red wall is seats where people increasingly own their own home and transport, have aspiration and meet typical concerns for voting Tory, its not some morass of bigoted hicks.
    No that's Norfolk.
    Racist
    Are people from Norfolk a different race?
    Possibly an egg and spoon race.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

Hubris my young friend. Looking odds on for Starmer to be next PM, but 20 years in power? I’ll have what you are sniffing…
  • Options
    PeterMPeterM Posts: 302

Further to the Denmark NATO meeting tomorrow, Denmarks PM has ruled out an accident and confirmed a deliberate act. With the imminemt land grab in Ukraine events might start spiralling out of control. Eyes on etc

i watched the movie threads last week about a nuclear attack on sheffield...what was interesting was how the early stages were very much like now...in the movie the russians invaded iran with escalating tit for tat measures getting gradually more scary...russia launches a battlefield nuke....then they explode a device to wipe out the electrical grid in the uk...and then the full attack...people not taking things seriously at first then panic buying later on.....
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited September 2022
    Casino you've had a go at me for so-called abuse and here you are using autistic as your own form.

I suggest you apologise, there is just no need for it, @LostPassword is a terrific poster and we would all be far worse for their lack of posting.
  • Options

No. Some will get in with BBB. And don’t confuse standard offer with what gets accepted. Often Unis will take near misses (a grade or two below offer).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    IMF: "We are closely monitoring recent economic developments in the UK and are engaged with the authorities... we do not recommend large and untargeted fiscal packages at this juncture"
    https://twitter.com/silvesterldn/status/1574834801290481679
  • Options

No. Some will get in with BBB. And don’t confuse standard offer with what gets accepted. Often Unis will take near misses (a grade or two below offer).
    I looked to apply for Medicine and needed 3 As.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

And the thing is, I am autistic. I have a diagnosis. But that has nothing to do with me being a republican. And it doesn't prevent me from being able to understand the reasons why people support a monarchy.

But for some reason you have to find a way of dismissing opposing views on this, and so you find it easy to do so by saying those who disagree with you don't have a valid reason for doing so. Then you don't have to think about it.

It's rude and dehumanising to those who disagree. It's the sort of thinking that is a major threat to democracy. Don't do it.
    I'm not sure it is irrelevant

When I use the word "autistic" I use it advisedly - there is autism in my family (as in most families, probably)

In some forms it describes a mindset which lacks emotional empathy, or is possessed of an unusual or narrowed imagination

I am pretty certain engineers (and political betting geeks) are more likely to be autistic than artists

eg I bet the overlap between autism, republicanism, and atheism is really quite striking
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Casino is pissed off about something in his own life, probably lost another friend.

He only comes on here when he's pissed off, gets a joy out of putting others down. He's the worst poster on this site by a country mile.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Scott_xP said:

IMF: "We are closely monitoring recent economic developments in the UK and are engaged with the authorities... we do not recommend large and untargeted fiscal packages at this juncture"

Do they ever? "at this juncture"

• Options

Yeah was 3 As in my day too, top places like Imperial needed 4 As. It's why I did chemistry, ended up getting the grades anyway lol.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yeah was 3 As in my day too, top places like Imperial needed 4 As. It's why I did chemistry, ended up getting the grades anyway lol.
    You did much better than me Max, you're a smart cookie. How is the baby?
  • Options

Hubris my young friend. Looking odds on for Starmer to be next PM, but 20 years in power? I’ll have what you are sniffing…
    Kwasi already had it, at Westminster Abbey.
  • Options

Yeah what was going on there?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    edited September 2022

More bullshit. Id est a vacuous comment with nothing to back it up bar the Tories are in trouble. Let's look situation iin in 5 yrs time. I will still be here..
  • Options

I really wish people would learn that not all of my posts are serious and are sometimes said with tongue firmly in cheek...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

To be fair, neither were the Italian Fascists Hitler either. Indeed they nearly clashed over the Anschluss.

Not all Fascists are Nazis, and not all the far right are Fascists. Fascism is its own genre of politics.

I don't know if Meloni is or isn't, but it is customary to congratulate new leaders, even if politically far removed in world views. It is just good diplomacy to be polite.
    Hitler even occupied South Tyrol and the Trieste area after the Italian surrender in 1943, even though they were nominally part of Mussolini's "Social Republic".
  • Options

Omnium said:

Oh come off it Casino. You are quite happy to give us your uber partisan views but you are critical of Horse for having his opposite uber- partisan views

What's sauce for the goose...
    Except I'm not uber partisan.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Casino is pissed off about something in his own life, probably lost another friend.

He only comes on here when he's pissed off, gets a joy out of putting others down. He's the worst poster on this site by a country mile.
    Top fifty, but nowhere near the podium.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Still waking up at 3am sadly. I'm back in office this week too which my wife was pretty cut up about. I need the concentration time for work but it's pretty tough leaving them behind this morning and will do Thursday and Friday.

How's life in tech?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:

Do they ever? "at this juncture"

I think Truss will need to ditch KK, reinstate Tom Scholar and the OBR. If she does that we might get back to where we were last week. If not, we’re fu*ked.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Tone deaf.

Some cracking comments.

To be fair, neither were the Italian Fascists Hitler either. Indeed they nearly clashed over the Anschluss.

Not all Fascists are Nazis, and not all the far right are Fascists. Fascism is its own genre of politics.

I don't know if Meloni is or isn't, but it is customary to congratulate new leaders, even if politically far removed in world views. It is just good diplomacy to be polite.
    Hitler even occupied South Tyrol and the Trieste area after the Italian surrender in 1943, even though they were nominally part of Mussolini's "Social Republic".
    The Free French tried to claim lots of Italy too - even almost came to blows with American forces.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Prickly. I've clearly cut through.

I'm telling you home truths that you need to hear, for your own good.

I used to have a more testy relationship with @Gallowgate but I'm now one of his biggest fans - be more like @Gallowgate .

It won't have escaped your attention that it was him that was telling you to calm down last night. You should listen to him.

• Options

I work with admissions. Three As is the offer. When the results come in, if the course is not full of those who have met the offer, often lower grades (near misses will be accepted). But not always. It may be that enough students met offer and that’s it, done. You can choose the right med school that will give you a better chance of getting in with lower grades. Somewhere like Peninsula for one. It’s the same for pharmacy. The top schools have AAB as the standard offer, but usually will end up taking near misses. My Uni took an extra 70 odd on to our course that missed their offer by one or two grades.
  • Options

I really wish people would learn that not all of my posts are serious and are sometimes said with tongue firmly in cheek...
    You need to evidence a sense of humour, in that case
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150

Omnium said:

Oh come off it Casino. You are quite happy to give us your uber partisan views but you are critical of Horse for having his opposite uber- partisan views

What's sauce for the goose...
    Except I'm not uber partisan.
    If it were breakfast I would just have involuntarily spat out all my cornflakes!
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

How very helpful.
  • Options

Sorry, nuance is lost on the internet, and what you posted is part of a continuum…
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

And the thing is, I am autistic. I have a diagnosis. But that has nothing to do with me being a republican. And it doesn't prevent me from being able to understand the reasons why people support a monarchy.

But for some reason you have to find a way of dismissing opposing views on this, and so you find it easy to do so by saying those who disagree with you don't have a valid reason for doing so. Then you don't have to think about it.

It's rude and dehumanising to those who disagree. It's the sort of thinking that is a major threat to democracy. Don't do it.

When I use the word "autistic" I use it advisedly - there is autism in my family (as in most families, probably)

In some forms it describes a mindset which lacks emotional empathy, or is possessed of an unusual or narrowed imagination

I am pretty certain engineers (and political betting geeks) are more likely to be autistic than artists

eg I bet the overlap between autism, republicanism, and atheism is really quite striking
    He's criticised for saying republicans are autistic and it turns out that he is.. autistic.
  • Options

Sorry, nuance is lost on the internet, and what you posted is part of a continuum…
    That was kind of the point my friend, I like winding certain people up, I am happy to admit it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If it's bully Horse night here on PB, I'd better be off.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I used to have a more testy relationship with @Gallowgate but I'm now one of his biggest fans - be more like @Gallowgate .

It won't have escaped your attention that it was him that was telling you to calm down last night. You should listen to him.

You come on here because everyone in your life hates you. We know.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's calling out a bot.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's an extraordinarily political intervention that will probably stiffen Truss and Kwarteng's resolve.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/imf-says-uk-fiscal-measures-will-likely-increase-inequality-urges-rethink-2022-09-27/

Fiscal measures adopted by Britain will likely increase inequality, a spokesperson for the International Monetary Fund said on Tuesday, urging UK authorities to consider providing more targeted support to affected families and businesses.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's for his own good.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

He's criticised for saying republicans are autistic and it turns out that he is.. autistic.
    And probably nouveau riche, jewish and queer.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

I reckon at least 20-30% of PB-ers are on the Spectrum, TBH

It's that kinda place. And that IS NOT AN INSULT. It's just a fact about geeks + politics + stats + betting
  • Options
    I am off out with my flat mate, have a good evening
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

I reckon at least 20-30% of PB-ers are on the Spectrum, TBH

It's that kinda place. And that IS NOT AN INSULT. It's just a fact about geeks + politics + stats + betting
    Yes, exactly right.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    PeterM said:

i watched the movie threads last week about a nuclear attack on sheffield...what was interesting was how the early stages were very much like now...in the movie the russians invaded iran with escalating tit for tat measures getting gradually more scary...russia launches a battlefield nuke....then they explode a device to wipe out the electrical grid in the uk...and then the full attack...people not taking things seriously at first then panic buying later on.....
    Threads was based heavily on the simulations Square Leg and Hard Rock, the former modelled an all out attack of 130 warheads on mainland UK, hence the countervalue strikes on cities like Sheffield as well as the first blast they see which is on the RAF base nearby. A nuclear war now would involve fewer strikes but be no less destructive to society, although i think we'd be in better shape to restore what we would call modern civilisation, if still vastly poorer and under very strict government with very little liberty and the most basic welfare if any
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Scott_xP said:

It's an extraordinarily political intervention that will probably stiffen Truss and Kwarteng's resolve.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/imf-says-uk-fiscal-measures-will-likely-increase-inequality-urges-rethink-2022-09-27/

Fiscal measures adopted by Britain will likely increase inequality, a spokesperson for the International Monetary Fund said on Tuesday, urging UK authorities to consider providing more targeted support to affected families and businesses.
    Extraordinary. The IMF's remit is to promote macroeconomic stability, not get into domestic redistribution policy.

• Options

Have a good one. Can we expect ‘beers, beers, beers’ later? :)
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's for his own good.
    What a pompous prick you are
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Pulpstar said:

Lol economist reckons markets are calmed because of the high likelihood of a Labour govt and BoE interventions. No confidence in the Tories at all.

Given a labour government is 2 years away i call bullshit on the former, and an economist should know better
    Two years of overspending doesn't totally tonto the economy long term.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

Yes. I take issue with your idea that my opinion on the monarchy can be dismissed because of my neurology. It denies me any agency in forming my opinions. It's insulting.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

If it's bully Horse night here on PB, I'd better be off.
    Well, he's just admitted "I like winding people up" in the comment immediately preceding yours

If you're gonna do that, you will get pushback. You will, er, wind people up. What on earth does he expect?
  • Options

Enjoy yourself x
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576

I don't want any signs at train stations lecturing me on what to think or do from government agencies.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's calling out a bot.
    Congrats, you win a Too Thick To Post Here award*. CHB has a track record of posting which utterly rules out the bot hypothesis for anyone more intelligent than a vole.

*being kind there, it's more a bar on an existing medal.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's for his own good.
    Harsh, b f.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

You come on here because everyone in your life hates you. We know.
    Jesus. Your issues are more serious than I thought.

You need to learn to love yourself and not rely on the validation of others. That's why you pursue Labour like a football team supporter - to give you that sense of belonging, and lift your mood when they do well - and why you crave approval and plaudits from others on here too.

I hope you get some help. Let me know if I can help too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Still waking up at 3am sadly. I'm back in office this week too which my wife was pretty cut up about. I need the concentration time for work but it's pretty tough leaving them behind this morning and will do Thursday and Friday…
    Could be worse; at least you were asleep to be woken up (I speak from experience).
    Hope it improves for you.

• Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

You do not use the term advisedly. You use the term regularly and as a slight. You claim to be an expert and have "aspie" friends and relatives, but quite frankly you know jack shit. If you did you would be less hasty with the label.

I daresay I was something of a woke princess when my son used to come home and tell me he'd had ten lumps of shit beaten out of him by some kid for being "too polite" to the teachers.

Time to go Leon, before I write something I regret.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

Sometimes it's a mixture on the empathy front: I have an autistic friend who is acutely sensitive to others' suffering, but cannot work out for the life of him why someone might enjoy sport.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

You do not use the term advisedly. You use the term regularly and as a slight. You claim to be an expert and have "aspie" friends and relatives, but quite frankly you know jack shit. If you did you would be less hasty with the label.

I daresay I was something of a woke princess when my son used to come home and tell me he'd had ten lumps of shit beaten out of him by some kid for being "too polite" to the teachers.

Time to go Leon, before I write something I regret.
    Yeah, whatever
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Such a moment is still a long way off, but what a moment it would be if the IMF had to intervene.

The much-beloved and somewhat one-dimensional Tory mythology of the "Labour 1970's" , missing out both the entirety of Tory 1970-74 and the more positive aspects of greater equality, living affordability and measured social contentment, would never be listened to again. As it is, it's already looking a bit wobbly.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Magnificent.

Wankers indeed.

Understand it.

And probably nouveau riche, jewish and queer.
    Only one Jewish grandparent, but not far off the mark.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's for his own good.
    Your possibly the only poster I hold in lower esteem.

I thought you were thick even when when you were on my own side.
  • Options

Yeah what was going on there?
    Probably cocaine.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    NEW: Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng 'ignored warnings' from officials their mini-budget would spark market chaos - story by me, @BenGartside and @RichardVaughan1 https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/liz-truss-kwasi-kwarteng-warnings-mini-budget-market-chaos-1881554
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Two years of overspending doesn't totally tonto the economy long term.
    No but nor does a possible change of government 2 years away calm things now if they really feel the next 2 years will be extra damaging. They think the BoE will act, simple as that. And then they'll wait and see if theres a Barber Boom
This discussion has been closed.