Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

West Lancs looks like a LAB hold on small turnout – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• WillGWillG Posts: 1,995
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Can someone tell me if it worth watching the new TV Lord of the Rings, or indeed House of Dragon Thrones (or whatever it is)

Or are they both boring Woke nonsense, as even the Guardian has hinted?

Ta muchly

House of the Dragon is pretty good. Paddy Considine steals every scene he is in as the King. Theres some wokery and some fucking your niece incest
    Cool! Thanks

I mean cool that it’s good, not that incest is cool. OBVS
    Re incest, I'll take your word for it, I've never tried to find out.

But yes, House of the Dragon is perfectly watchable.

The Lord of the Rings is really not.
    I agree that "Paddy Considine steals every scene".

It is an amazing performance. Like a King Lear actor from RSC has been parachuted into the series.

Not convinced by Matt Smith. But I did not rate him as Dr Who.
    Mind you he was hampered by some mediocre scripts.

He had a hard act to follow in David Tennant and Peter Capaldi coming after him was solid too.
    He was very good in the Crown.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Can someone tell me if it worth watching the new TV Lord of the Rings, or indeed House of Dragon Thrones (or whatever it is)

Ta muchly

House of the Dragon is pretty good. Paddy Considine steals every scene he is in as the King. Theres some wokery and some fucking your niece incest
    Cool! Thanks

It is an amazing performance. Like a King Lear actor from RSC has been parachuted into the series.

Not accusing you of this btw, but I often think when people say X can’t act (in Y), something Matt Smith had thrown at him a lot from Dr Who, what they usually mean is they don’t like the portrayal. Personally loved him as the doctor, not seen him in GoT prequel but others have said how good he is.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited September 2022
    If Putin does attempt fake (Ah! Trump, I've finally used that word!) voting for annexation that would be where partisans might be an effective disruption.
  • Leon said:

"Putin's speech has been postponed until tomorrow, said Sergei Markov, a political analyst close to the Kremlin"

Is he delaying so the sons of the business class are given another 24 hours to get out of Russia?

And that was the deal to keep him in office a bit longer?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Taz said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

I’m calling it:

Putin recorded a speech in which he announced total mobilisation. But other politicians were horrified at this risky idea, and they’ve prevailed, and managed to dial down the plans. So the speech has been delayed while they amend it, or maybe it is now cancelled

IF that is true, it suggests Putin’s grip on power is weakening

He's dead. And the deepfake annoucing the climbdown is rubbish.
    Someone's frantically phoning round the celeb look-a-like organisations?
    Sign him up

https://en.as.com/en/2022/03/05/latest_news/1646514702_014034.html
    Could Dobby make a comeback?
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

WillG said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

I’m calling it:

Putin recorded a speech in which he announced total mobilisation. But other politicians were horrified at this risky idea, and they’ve prevailed, and managed to dial down the plans. So the speech has been delayed while they amend it, or maybe it is now cancelled

Let's hope so. It might also explain why there had been no general mobilisation before now which has always been a bit of a mystery, to me, at least.
    As I said before, the business class of Moscow and St Petersburg don't want their sons dying in Ukraine for the sake of Putin not losing faith.
    Can't rich Russians avoid the draft as easily as rich Americans for Vietnam?
    Apols. Already covered.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Leon said:

Chaos

Some russian sources are now claiming that the speech will be tomorrow: "It is reported that Putin will not speak today, but tomorrow." t.me/boris_rozhin/6…

Every flight out of Russia in the next 24 hours will be rammed with the sons of the rich and powerful...

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

Not accusing you of this btw, but I often think when people say X can’t act (in Y), something Matt Smith had thrown at him a lot from Dr Who, what they usually mean is they don’t like the portrayal. Personally loved him as the doctor, not seen him in GoT prequel but others have said how good he is.
    I thought he did OK. Shame the shows he was in were so incredibly badly written.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Redfield has Starmer getting a big boost to plus 4 job approval, Truss at plus 3
    Truss 4 points ahead best PM 40 36

Reading this forum if is impossible for Truss to be ahead of Starmer by 40%/36% as best PM
    Which is why it is wise to ignore most of the partisan bullshit, especially from the left that infects the site. The continual.
    doom and gloom from the thread headers doesn't help either.
    What sort of complaint is "partisan," do you expect the left to look at a tory PM and say I'm Labour through and through like my parents were before me, but looking at the skills PM X brings to the table I am suspending hostilities?

And do you expect that effect to be more or less marked for X = Truss?

The woman is plainly mad, doctrinaire, incompetent, inhuman and several thousand fathoms out of her depth. It is the duty of every right thinking citizen to point at her and laugh.
    I rest my case.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Redfield has Starmer getting a big boost to plus 4 job approval, Truss at plus 3
    Truss 4 points ahead best PM 40 36

Reading this forum if is impossible for Truss to be ahead of Starmer by 40%/36% as best PM
    Which is why it is wise to ignore most of the partisan bullshit, especially from the left that infects the site. The continual.
    doom and gloom from the thread headers doesn't help either.
    What sort of complaint is "partisan," do you expect the left to look at a tory PM and say I'm Labour through and through like my parents were before me, but looking at the skills PM X brings to the table I am suspending hostilities?

And do you expect that effect to be more or less marked for X = Truss?

The woman is plainly mad, doctrinaire, incompetent, inhuman and several thousand fathoms out of her depth. It is the duty of every right thinking citizen to point at her and laugh.
    I rest my case.
    That is my case, is what English lawyers say.

If you think I am partisan, I don't know which party you mean. I have only once not voted tory, 1979-date.
    Re read what you wrote.... it was a diatribe of insults.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249

Leon said:

Chaos

Some russian sources are now claiming that the speech will be tomorrow: "It is reported that Putin will not speak today, but tomorrow." t.me/boris_rozhin/6…

Every flight out of Russia in the next 24 hours will be rammed with the sons of the rich and powerful...
    Yes, good point

No way would you depend on these flaky rumours that change all the time. Get the fuck out of Russia Now. Go to Turkey NOW
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

I thought he did OK. Shame the shows he was in were so incredibly badly written.
    There was some good in there too.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

They sat on Putin and told him to rein it in

If true that's encouraging, in that he is still able to be reined in.

WillG said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

I’m calling it:

Let's hope so. It might also explain why there had been no general mobilisation before now which has always been a bit of a mystery, to me, at least.
    As I said before, the business class of Moscow and St Petersburg don't want their sons dying in Ukraine for the sake of Putin not losing faith.
    Possibly true. But during the Vietnam era the business and political class seemed to find ways to keep their sons out of the draft. Bush for example.
    Good time to be a doctor whose income needs supplementing.
    Smart people in the Vietnam era joined the Airforce. As enlisted men, there was zero chance of becoming flight crew unless you really, really wanted. And no one could accuse you of draft dodging, later.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 1,995

Leon said:

Chaos

Every savvy male between 18-35 I would have thought. They are going to lose a generation of talent for the Russian economy. The modern day Huguenots.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    edited September 2022
    What I find odd is the attempt to hold a referendum in Zaporizhzhia oblast. I know they like to take the biscuit but this is a region with one major city, Zaporizhzhia (about the size of Sheffield) which Russia doesn't control and hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of doing so anytime soon. They do however control Melitopol (think Oxford). The rest seems largely rural. Won't the absurdity of this just diminish the thin credibility of the referenda in the other oblasts?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Ishmael - I’ve responded to you on this matter several times now. I said the result of the election would not be overturned by violence or indeed any other means. I was right. Your endlessly repeating this crap (either to me or Bart) doesn’t make you right. It just makes you look childish.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Every savvy male between 18-35 I would have thought. They are going to lose a generation of talent for the Russian economy. The modern day Huguenots.
    Not easy for a male from rural Siberia to just get out. A wealthy and connected one, yes. Your ordinary punter, savvy or not?

What I find odd is the attempt to hold a referendum in Zaporizhzhia oblast. I know they like to take the biscuit but this is a region with one major city, Zaporizhzhia (about the size of Sheffield) which Russia doesn't control and hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of doing so anytime soon. They do however control Melitopol (think Oxford). The rest seems largely rural. Won't the absurdity of this just diminish the thin credibility of the referenda in the other oblasts?

No, because you can't diminish from zero.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    There was no general draft in Vietnam, though.
    There were plenty who, whilst eligible throughout, were simply never called up.
  • What I find odd is the attempt to hold a referendum in Zaporizhzhia oblast. I know they like to take the biscuit but this is a region with one major city, Zaporizhzhia (about the size of Sheffield) which Russia doesn't control and hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of doing so anytime soon. They do however control Melitopol (think Oxford). The rest seems largely rural. Won't the absurdity of this just diminish the thin credibility of the referenda in the other oblasts?

It's a vital part of the land bridge to Crimea, Azov Sea coast. It can't be left out.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151
    edited September 2022

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

I think Matt Smith is very good in this, but yes, Paddy Considine as King Viserys is the best thing in the show.
    Rings of Power - Incredibly boring and stupid, with a very unlikeable lead. While I think the writing is probably the main reason why Galadriel is so unlikeable, Morfydd Clark's career probably isn't going to take off because of this show.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Gone Fishing is just sublime TV.

I have no interest in fishing.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

Not more badly written than the Jodie Whittaker era though...
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    Some posters are very exciteable on here tonight.

Where's @SeanT tonight? Gone again? I miss him already.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

No way would you depend on these flaky rumours that change all the time. Get the fuck out of Russia Now. Go to Turkey NOW
    I wonder how many can actually get out? There's already rather fewer international flights from Russia. Almost everyone lives impractically far from a border. There must be about 50 million 18-65 year old males in Russia. Number who cam escape in the next 24 hours must be in the high tens of thousands?
    Eabhal said:

Stop carping.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    By way of light entertainment, while we’re waiting for a definitive announcement that armageddon is off for this month…
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1571850200418865156

I’m not a journalist, but I’m reasonably sure I could recognise the Aussie PM.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

There have been one or two decent ones but, yeah, mostly poor stuff.

Her swan song is up next month. The Power of the Doctor.

Will she finally cop off with Yaz, a character that makes Adric look dynamic and engaging.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

I wouldn't know, I'd given up watching it by then.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,163
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

I wonder how many can actually get out? There's already rather fewer international flights from Russia. Almost everyone lives impractically far from a border. There must be about 50 million 18-65 year old males in Russia. Number who cam escape in the next 24 hours must be in the high tens of thousands?
    That’s why you need to get ahead of the crowds, either with insider information or just through caution.

I’ve defined a few escape triggers for the family if nuclear war looks like arriving, given London will be hit come what may. Tricky one because you don’t want to go too soon, but you don’t want to leave it too late either.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Nigelb said:

By way of light entertainment, while we’re waiting for a definitive announcement that armageddon is off for this month…

This one is great:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-15/former-black-rod-david-leakey-reflects-on-the-queen/14054514
    Kicking off on Iran. A few days ago a young woman died after a beating from the morality police. She had removed her headscarf.

The reaction has been outrage. Can it be contained ? This does seem to be building.

https://twitter.com/aliostad/status/1572239411588333569?s=21&t=WonV_4iER8-VbWt4znetOw
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

That’s why you need to get ahead of the crowds, either with insider information or just through caution.

I’ve defined a few escape triggers for the family if nuclear war looks like arriving, given London will be hit come what may. Tricky one because you don’t want to go too soon, but you don’t want to leave it too late either.
    Would one of those triggers be the president of Russia disappearing from view 24 hours after his outriders threaten the simultaneous massacre of every world leader?

• Leon said:

Ta muchly

Unlike some others who have already posted I really like the Rings of Power. It stays true to the tone and ideals of Tolkien and his characters whilst imaginatively filling in gaps in Tolkien's notes and narrative. It is a slow burn to start with but that is to my taste. It also looks fabulous.

It won't be to everyone's taste and it has annoyed the purists but it strikes me that they would rather see their books never transferred to film or TV if it means any changes at all.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Nigelb said:

Yes, was saying earlier that she’s a faceless nonentity. I keep forgetting that she is PM. It seems I am not alone.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

I wouldn't know, I'd given up watching it by then.
    You and several million others.

• IshmaelZ said:

After certain people wetting their knickers at the prospect of Mad Vlad nuking the world earlier, this hours long delay is even more amusing.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of what's going on behind the scenes in recent week. Putin must surely be getting to Bruno Ganz levels of anger and delusion.

That is an authentically fuckwitted post. Sure, it's long, long odds against Vlad nuking London and it's also a no-lose bet because if he does, who is going to be posting on what PB to point out what an arse you are? But this "hur hir hur knicker wetters" stuff is pure, unadulterated, way out there wankerdom, because grown ups actually sit up and take notice when the odds shorten from 9000-1 to 25-1, even if both is still long odds against.

There's a well loved poster here who spent Dec 2019 saying Hur hur hur, like Trump is actually going to resort to violence to overturn the result like the bedwetters say he was. After 6/1/20 he went quiet for a couple of weeks to work on the what I MEANT was script. Not gonna name him, mistake Anaboda could make.
    There ends a Party Political Broadcast for the PuritanBedwetters Party

Even if odds have shortened from 9000 million -1, to 25 million -1, "sitting up and taking notice" isn't what grown ups do. How exactly are you taking up and taking notice? Are you practicing your duck and cover manoeuvres? Are you practicing how to hide under your desk if the big one comes?
    moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Would one of those triggers be the president of Russia disappearing from view 24 hours after his outriders threaten the simultaneous massacre of every world leader?

I couldn’t comment otherwise it might cause a stampede to the airports.
    moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

I can’t imagine the Chinese being massively amused.
    Possibly a few others, too.
  • TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

You might like this story.

https://www.southernstar.ie/news/yes-were-all-still-safe-in-dear-old-skibbereen-4145033

Some posters are very exciteable on here tonight.

Where's @SeanT tonight? Gone again? I miss him already.

I think Sean is making up for doing a Phil and Holly by walking from London to Santiago De Compostela.
    moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Has Truss commented on her opinion on MAD recently?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Unlike some others who have already posted I really like the Rings of Power. It stays true to the tone and ideals of Tolkien and his characters whilst imaginatively filling in gaps in Tolkien's notes and narrative. It is a slow burn to start with but that is to my taste. It also looks fabulous.

It won't be to everyone's taste and it has annoyed the purists but it strikes me that they would rather see their books never transferred to film or TV if it means any changes at all.
    Sounds promising.

Leon said:

Ta muchly

The elves have a lot of product in their hair.
    It switches between narratives too quickly. Dwarves are infantile.
    Black elf is really good, hopefully annoyed some racists.
    No sense of the culture/history that made the original trilogy work so well (Rohan = Anglo-Saxon, Gondor = Byzantine etc)
    Orcs are very well done.
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Main thing is leaving is one thing - but these days airlines want to see proof you will be let in at the other end.

Which is why the Chinese love investing in real estate - abroad. In the UK and elsewhere, invest over a few hundred K and you get to visit your investment. So buy a bunch of flats. One to live in if it all goes wrong and the rest provide income.

A cast iron escape plan for the day it all goes wrong....
    RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Have her letters even been written yet?
    Taz said:

Kicking off on Iran. A few days ago a young woman died after a beating from the morality police. She had removed her headscarf.

The reaction has been outrage. Can it be contained ? This does seem to be building.

https://twitter.com/aliostad/status/1572239411588333569?s=21&t=WonV_4iER8-VbWt4znetOw

Another Russian puppet government not having a happy time of it? How sad.
    Eabhal said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Isn't that one of the first things a new PM does? It'd have been on the first day.

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I have an idea for the mega forge Celebrimbor wants. It actually fits perfectly with Tolkiens ideas, and suggests why the Elven rings were so different to the others.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    TimS said:

"Sharp words between the superpowers. Tanks in East Berlin. And now, reports the BBC, rumors of a satellite blackout. It's enough to spoil your continental breakfast.

But the world will have to wait. This is the last day of your $599 London Getaway Package, and you're determined to soak up as much of that authentic English ambience as you can. "

(to quote the intro of a game where the protagonist definitely left it to the very last moment to get out of London...)
  • Leon said:

Ta muchly

I have read and quite liked reading both the Hobbit and LotR. I found the LotR films entertaining, but the !three! Hobbit films were ponderously dull - a bit like the Silmarillion. ;)

Therefore as someone who generally liked the books (but not enough to read them more than once), I'm quite enjoying the RoP series. It seems to have the right mood for the books, and is nowhere near as dull as the Hobbit films. I haven't seen the latest episode though.

Mrs J, who loves the books and has read them many times, is less positive, but still seems to be enjoying it. I bet there's lots more viewers who haven't read the Silmarillion who want 'more like the LotR films'. So far, RoP is probably doing it.
    edited September 2022
    RobD said:

Eabhal said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Isn't that one of the first things a new PM does? It'd have been on the first day.
    But how do they get it out to the sub on patrol? Get Galadriel to swim out to it?
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I think that your last sentence is fair, but that's simply because any change is most unlikely to be an improvement. Tolkien wasn't perfect, but he had an astonishing imagination and a remarkable ability to set things in a wider context. The end result therefore is rich and fascinating partly because it is very, very complex and any changes to make it comprehensible on screen will almost inevitably diminish it.

That's not forgetting, to quote Christopher Tolkien, that the whole character of Galadriel changed radically several times while Tolkien was writing.

The catch is none of those characterisations match anything I saw in the episodes I ground through before deciding it wasn't worth watching. And all of them were better.
    Eabhal said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

RobD said:

Eabhal said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

But how do they get it out to the sub on patrol? Get Galadriel to swim out to it?
    Hah, good point. Perhaps it's a telex printer inside a safe? :p
  • RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Yes, she was asked this during the leadership campaign, and she said something like that she was 'absolutely prepared' to use nuclear weapons if required.

Only appropriate answer to give.
  • God I hate Russian trolls, they are the pineapple topping on the PB comments pizza.

So shall we discuss Vladimir Putin's latent homosexuality.

The man is so buried in the closet he's having adventures in Narnia.

Eabhal said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Some dull bugger nicked all the working pens...
    Fun news night.

BREAKING: Judge Dearie makes clear he is taking government’s position that the classified Mar-a-Lago documents are in fact classified.

“What business is it of the court? … As far as I’m concerned that’s the end of it.”

Trump’s insistence on a special master is NOT going well.??

https://mobile.twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1572295356322390016
  • kle4 said:

Leon said:

They sat on Putin and told him to rein it in

If true that's encouraging, in that he is still able to be reined in.

WillG said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

I’m calling it:

Possibly true. But during the Vietnam era the business and political class seemed to find ways to keep their sons out of the draft. Bush for example.
    Good time to be a doctor whose income needs supplementing.
    Smart people in the Vietnam era joined the Airforce. As enlisted men, there was zero chance of becoming flight crew unless you really, really wanted. And no one could accuse you of draft dodging, later.
    Exactly what a good friend of mine did circa 1968. Ended up as an aero-mechanic servicing USAF bombers in Thailand. Grueling but FAR safer & more enjoyable (off base) than in Vietnam.

After he finished his enlistment, he went back to the good factory job he'd gotten a few months before his Air Force active service started. Where his dad worked, but he was well-qualified before USAF and even more so afterwards.

On the other hand, was in the audience in court one day (think maybe on a school trip) when several young reprobates were given their choice upon sentencing, of going to jail or joining the military - presumably US Army.
  • RobD said:

Eabhal said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

RobD said:

Eabhal said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

Hah, good point. Perhaps it's a telex printer inside a safe? :p
    The telex machine is kept so clean
    And it types to a waiting world.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Cool! Thanks

Whaaaaaaaaaat? You are so wrong. Rings of power is best middle earth ever. Even better than Tolkiens Middle earth. The series is pacy, amazing to look at amazing on the ear, very well storyboarded with good dialogue and brilliant acting (that comes from good writing teams and lots of rehearsal) and brilliant direction, I’m loving it and can’t get enough of it. I recommend everybody to give the first four episodes a go, most people will enjoy this.

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I have read and quite liked reading both the Hobbit and LotR. I found the LotR films entertaining, but the !three! Hobbit films were ponderously dull - a bit like the Silmarillion. ;)

Therefore as someone who generally liked the books (but not enough to read them more than once), I'm quite enjoying the RoP series. It seems to have the right mood for the books, and is nowhere near as dull as the Hobbit films. I haven't seen the latest episode though.

Mrs J, who loves the books and has read them many times, is less positive, but still seems to be enjoying it. I bet there's lots more viewers who haven't read the Silmarillion who want 'more like the LotR films'. So far, RoP is probably doing it.
    The Hobbit films were the result of taking a little bit of Tolkien and spreading him very thin on a lot of toast. Then adding large quantities of Holyweird random stuff - at the behest of the "management". To understand what I mean, remember that Peter Jackson (who had more control for the LOTR films) had to tell a script doctor sent from Hollywood to fuck off. The suits wanted Arwen's character deleted and Aragorn to marry Eowyn.....
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088

God I hate Russian trolls, they are the pineapple topping on the PB comments pizza.

Please don't insult the gays by even suggesting that sick twisted fuck is one of us.
  • ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I think that your last sentence is fair, but that's simply because any change is most unlikely to be an improvement. Tolkien wasn't perfect, but he had an astonishing imagination and a remarkable ability to set things in a wider context. The end result therefore is rich and fascinating partly because it is very, very complex and any changes to make it comprehensible on screen will almost inevitably diminish it.

That's not forgetting, to quote Christopher Tolkien, that the whole character of Galadriel changed radically several times while Tolkien was writing.

The catch is none of those characterisations match anything I saw in the episodes I ground through before deciding it wasn't worth watching. And all of them were better.
    When they announced the Peter Jackson trilogy I was like this is going to be so rubbish, the books are unfilmable, they'll never manage to achieve the epicness of say the charge of the Rohirrim at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields but they managed it and then some.
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Not sure I'd call it a Russian puppet government but nonetheless a country ripe for regime change.

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Chaos

Yes, good point

You might like this story.

https://www.southernstar.ie/news/yes-were-all-still-safe-in-dear-old-skibbereen-4145033
    Ireland (probably Cork) was second on my list last time I did the location analysis in February. Morocco a clear first.

But since then some places that were previously no go because of their restrictive Covid entry rules are now in play, like Chile.

Would probably still do Morocco though. Cheap to get to, outside any feasible fallout zone, agriculturally fairly self sufficient, visa free, low cost of living, no Covid restrictions, easy to get back if it’s a false alarm.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

After certain people wetting their knickers at the prospect of Mad Vlad nuking the world earlier, this hours long delay is even more amusing.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of what's going on behind the scenes in recent week. Putin must surely be getting to Bruno Ganz levels of anger and delusion.

That is an authentically fuckwitted post. Sure, it's long, long odds against Vlad nuking London and it's also a no-lose bet because if he does, who is going to be posting on what PB to point out what an arse you are? But this "hur hir hur knicker wetters" stuff is pure, unadulterated, way out there wankerdom, because grown ups actually sit up and take notice when the odds shorten from 9000-1 to 25-1, even if both is still long odds against.

There's a well loved poster here who spent Dec 2019 saying Hur hur hur, like Trump is actually going to resort to violence to overturn the result like the bedwetters say he was. After 6/1/20 he went quiet for a couple of weeks to work on the what I MEANT was script. Not gonna name him, mistake Anaboda could make.

Even if odds have shortened from 9000 million -1, to 25 million -1, "sitting up and taking notice" isn't what grown ups do. How exactly are you taking up and taking notice? Are you practicing your duck and cover manoeuvres? Are you practicing how to hide under your desk if the big one comes?
    Barty, you are a dickless little fuckwit. I spend most of my spare time, which is actually most of my time, practising a hobby which, I was pleased to learn the other day, is 20 times more dangerous than motorbike racing. That is how timorous I am. So fuck off. Go on, march on Moscow so we can see what a man you are.

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Not sure I'd call it a Russian puppet government but nonetheless a country ripe for regime change.
    The Iranians do.

Well, actually, they call it much worse than that given half a chance, but the gist of it is that it's a Russian puppet government.
  • pigeon said:

God I hate Russian trolls, they are the pineapple topping on the PB comments pizza.

Please don't insult the gays by even suggesting that sick twisted fuck is one of us.
    I was chatting to someone who deals with Russian bots, he said it blows the mind of the bots when you mention it.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

When they announced the Peter Jackson trilogy I was like this is going to be so rubbish, the books are unfilmable, they'll never manage to achieve the epicness of say the charge of the Rohirrim at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields but they managed it and then some.
    Two Towers was rubbish. Return of the King was a bit meh for the most part.

Fellowship of the Ring was mostly very good.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I watched a couple of the first episodes as wallpaper this week. It feels suitably mythical. Good through somewhat handling of the early narratives - eg the journey to Middle Earth.

The individual characterisation was good.

The handling of diversity sucks, however. The elves are at the start a collection of refugees from Abba Arrival - lillywhite blonde Swedes in an elvish version of white flight suits; I can't remember whether they were blue-eyed. May be attempt to portray a kind of "pre-fall" and "post-fall" change (see the Garden of Eden myth). The dwarves are a collection of comical stereotypical Travellers who I expect to say "begorrah" at any moment. And I'm still trying to decide who the hobbits are - perhaps "normal for Norfolk"s, living in the rolling landscape of Kent.

So you need to suspend disbelief, at which I partly failed. Will try again.

I'm too sexy for my horse. Too sexy for my horse. Too sexy of course.
  • ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

While I was OK with the Wheel of Time TV series, it was enjoyable, it was nowhere near as good as the book and that was one of the biggest problems. Despite reportedly having a decent budget from Amazon, the epic war scene from the book just didn't have that many extras etc in it, it seemed to me, and just really didn't feel anywhere near as epic as it should. Left a bit of an anticlimactic feel to it.

Standards have been put pretty high now thanks to things like Jackson's trilogy and shows like GOT having Hollywood style production values, so shows that don't just come across as weaker.

I'm too sexy for my horse. Too sexy for my horse. Too sexy of course.
    Why does he have giant moobs? Has he been doing steroids like his missus, do you reckon?

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Been rumours that the Ayatollah Khameini was seriously a week or so ago, as well

It would be good to see this regime crumble.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I was personally a bit upset that we didn't get the charge as Eomer's death ride.

But thereupon Éomer rode up in haste... and grief and dismay fell upon him as he came to the king's side and stood there in silence....

And he looked at the slain, recalling their names. Then suddenly he beheld his sister Éowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deathly white; and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him.

'Éowyn, Éowyn!' he cried at last: 'Éowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!'

Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'

And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards.
  • Republic now as King Charles III insults the Commonwealth.

King Charles chooses France for first state visit after bonding with Macron

Instead of a Commonwealth country, plans are being finalised for the monarch to kick off his reign with a potential trip to France

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/20/king-prepares-first-state-visit-destination-might-surprise/

He's going to make Macron Co-Prince of the United Kingdom, I just know it.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I recently attended the Discworld convention (Terry Pritchett for the uninitiated). There was an excellent talk about why fans of his books were so angry about the godawful TV series ‘The Watch’, which was originally to be heavily based on the books and became something else entirely. Part of the issues with creating TV or film of beloved texts is that the fans hav3 already created those worlds in their heads. They know what characters look and sound like. They know what the Castle of the Seven Skulls looks like. They have favourite scenes. They get the humour (for TP essential).
    So almost inevitably the TV show/film fails to live up to what the fans want.

Usually it does far far better for the non fan, because there are no expectations to be met. I believe this happened to some extent with The Watch. Non Pratchet fans thought it ok, whereas the anger in the room at the convention could have powered most of Birmingham through the winter…
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I have never watched any of the films, what with having a frankly snobbish contempt for any film-of-the-book garbage. I read a couple of days ago, that the films just don't do the Scouring of the Shire because it would be, like, too much of a downer, man. Like the gospels without the crucifixion or King Lear only he ends his days as a happy centenarian in a retirement home.
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

I have never watched any of the films, what with having a frankly snobbish contempt for any film-of-the-book garbage. I read a couple of days ago, that the films just don't do the Scouring of the Shire because it would be, like, too much of a downer, man. Like the gospels without the crucifixion or King Lear only he ends his days as a happy centenarian in a retirement home.
    Or Tom Bombadil. Or the journey home from Gondor.

To be fair, that's about all they left out, but they added weird shit with Faramir, Elrond and the Elves of Lorien that just didn't work at all.
  • Eabhal said:

Stop carping.
    You'll make a rod for your own back....

Republic now as King Charles III insults the Commonwealth.

Instead of a Commonwealth country, plans are being finalised for the monarch to kick off his reign with a potential trip to France

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/20/king-prepares-first-state-visit-destination-might-surprise/

Smart move. The monarchy ought to prioritise where relations need improving.

One thing we've hardly talked about is the 100th anniversary of the Irish Free State.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    I'm suffering from typose tonight.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Barty, you are a dickless little fuckwit. I spend most of my spare time, which is actually most of my time, practising a hobby which, I was pleased to learn the other day, is 20 times more dangerous than motorbike racing. That is how timorous I am. So fuck off. Go on, march on Moscow so we can see what a man you are.
    You seem very angry for a pink children's character. Nonetheless your earlier analysis of Truss was faultless despite 'Root describing it as a diatribe.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    The Mayor of Middlesbrough seems to think that Middlesbrough is in France with this projection onto the town hall.

https://twitter.com/Tees_Issues/status/1572272867567443975?t=hPnlgERMAJpOZtL7mfRr7Q&s=19
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

To be fair, that's about all they left out, but they added weird shit with Faramir, Elrond and the Elves of Lorien that just didn't work at all.
    Or making Frodo a passive victim of everything.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Justin Trudeau was aggressively heckled by an anti lockdown protestor while leaving his London hotel after the funeral

https://twitter.com/TrueNorthCentre/status/1572217218934644737?s=20&t=J4fgK4Tn5r7tL_tEFVx4jw

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

That cavalry charge made the hairs on my arms stand up.

Macron swears fealty under the Treaty of Troyes?
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    I like the misprint earlier that Putin is going to introduce marital law in Russia.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

It also says the King will visit Australia and New Zealand in the Spring

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

You seem very angry for a pink children's character. Nonetheless your earlier analysis of Truss was faultless despite 'Root describing it as a diatribe.
    Yeah, but I do think I am closer to the ideal walk it/talk it ratio of 1/1 than Barty gets.

I was way understating it about Truss, as of course you realise.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    slade said:

I like the misprint earlier that Putin is going to introduce marital law in Russia.

Make love not war?

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Ta muchly

Or making Frodo a passive victim of everything.
    Well, he is in the book too for rather a lot of it.

In fact, after Book 1 he gets progressively replaced by Aragorn and Sam as the heroes of the narrative, because the former is essential to the wider plot and the latter is much more interesting as a character.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Or get agreement on honouring the Treaty of Troyes.
    pigeon said:

Sorry, but when someone is *that* violently homophobic, while posing like that. It just screams a certain kind of denial. Houseboat on Lake Victoria level....
    slade said:

An admission he's fucked?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    RH1992 said:

The Mayor of Middlesbrough seems to think that Middlesbrough is in France with this projection onto the town hall.

https://twitter.com/Tees_Issues/status/1572272867567443975?t=hPnlgERMAJpOZtL7mfRr7Q&s=19

Clearly a French spy.

The good folk of Middlesbrough will know what to do with him.
This discussion has been closed.