Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Queen Elizabeth. Lessons from a life well lived. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Joke on the back of a matchbox:

The world's untidiest man died yesterday.
    His body is currently lying in a state.

An honour to be given to our former PM?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    IshmaelZ said:
    yes my fault for some reason got fixed in 28 no 32 looking back no idea why. However 28 gives us an valuable insight into christian minds still
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Surprised there hasn't been more pouring over His Majesty's statement to faith leaders

https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/status/1570824611104948225

He will be defender of faith as well as protector of the Anglican settlement
    No quarrel with that - looks great.
    It's interesting but his argument for religious tolerance is based on his own faith rather than a secular liberal argument.
    Out of curiosity, what did you expect it to be based on given he isn't a secular liberal?
    In US history, one of the first, most notable and hugely influential advocates for religious tolerance was Roger Williams, founder of Rhode Island. Who was VERY religious, to put it mildly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Williams

For Williams, religious freedom was a cornerstone of his faith. Because he believed that compulsion in matters of faith was a fraud, and blasphemy to boot.

The multiplicity of religious groups and beliefs in the American colonies made Williams's viewpoint increasingly popular, until it emerged as a foundational principle as via the First Amendment to the US Constitution.

At present juncture, perhaps worth noting that Roger Williams successfully petitioned King Charles II to grant Rhode Island a VERY progressive (for that day) colonial charter that specifically promulgated and guaranteed religious tolerance.

Of course, both Williams and KCII had their own reasons. But that does NOT detract from their actions, then or today.

Sadly, another major idea of Roger Williams - to treat the Native Americans justly and fairly - for example by actually paying for land rather than just stealing it - and with respect, such as bothering to learn something about their own religious beliefs, their ways of life, and so forth - THAT proved MUCH less popular.
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:
    yes my fault for some reason got fixed in 28 no 32 looking back no idea why. However 28 gives us an valuable insight into christian minds still
    not convinced 32 is any better mind

28 “For they are a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in them.

29 O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end!

30 How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, and the Lord had shut them up?

31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.

32 For their vine is of the vine of Sodom and of the fields of Gomorrah; their grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are bitter.

33 Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.

34 “‘Is not this laid up in store with Me, and sealed up among My treasures?

35 To Me belongeth vengeance and recompense; their foot shall slide in due time; for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.’

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

28 “For they are a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in them.

29 O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end!

30 How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, and the Lord had shut them up?

32 For their vine is of the vine of Sodom and of the fields of Gomorrah; their grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are bitter.

35 To Me belongeth vengeance and recompense; their foot shall slide in due time; for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.’

Which is roughly where we are under Truss.
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Which is where we are under politicians would be a fairer assessment
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Surprised there hasn't been more pouring over His Majesty's statement to faith leaders

It's interesting but his argument for religious tolerance is based on his own faith rather than a secular liberal argument.
    Out of curiosity, what did you expect it to be based on given he isn't a secular liberal?
    Well he hasn't been very open about his faith in the past. I'm not being critical of him but it's a statement that is relevant to him personally and isn't one that can apply universally.
  • Quite a revelation from Camilla:

The Queen Consort said: "She was able to escape to Sandringham. She had the stud next door."

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Believe Truss is doing a reading at Westminster Abbey funeral service tomorrow

psalms 137 - 8- p9 maybe

or

jeremiah 13:15 to 26

or

Isiah 13:9 to 16

or

judges 18: 1 to 27

or.......
    Johnson asked for Proverbs 24:22.

For Truss, surely Deuteronomy 32:28-35.
    Exodus 20: 17 surely for Johnson.
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Which is where we are under politicians would be a fairer assessment
    True.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well he hasn't been very open about his faith in the past. I'm not being critical of him but it's a statement that is relevant to him personally and isn't one that can apply universally.
    Since secular liberalism can't be applied universally either, that argument doesn't really work.

As far as I can see he's always been very open about his religion. He attends church pretty much every Sunday he's at Highgrove, for example. He's always talked about the need for understanding between different groups and how Christianity underpins his moral thinking and his commitment to helping others.

What he hasn't done with rare exceptions, until now, is clearly articulated how he wants it to inform the way he acts as King. But there is of course a very good reason for that.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

psalms 137 - 8- p9 maybe

or

or

or

or.......

euw no to boils she might show them us
    Eh?
    deutoronmy 32:28 - 35 is
    The LORD will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head.
    No it isn't.

'28Israel is a nation devoid of counsel,
    with no understanding among them.
    29If only they were wise, they would understand it;
    they would comprehend their fate.
    30How could one man pursue a thousand,
    or two put ten thousand to flight,
    unless their Rock had sold them,
    unless the LORD had given them up?
    31For their rock is not like our Rock,
    even our enemies concede.h
    32But their vine is from the vine of Sodom
    and from the fields of Gomorrah.
    Their grapes are poisonous;
    their clusters are bitter.
    33Their wine is the venom of serpents,
    the deadly poison of cobras.
    34“Have I not stored up these things,
    sealed up within My vaults?
    35Vengeance is Mine; I will repay.i
    In due time their foot will slip;
    for their day of disaster is near,
    and their doom is coming quickly.”
    25The LORD will cause you to be defeated before your enemies. You will march out against them in one direction but flee from them in seven. You will be an object of horror to all the kingdoms of the earth. 26Your corpses will be food for all the birds of the air and beasts of the earth, with no one to scare them away.

27The LORD will afflict you with the boils of Egypt, with tumors and scabs and itch from which you cannot be cured.

28The LORD will afflict you with madness, blindness, and confusion of mind, 29and at noon you will grope about like a blind man in the darkness. You will not prosper in your ways. Day after day you will be oppressed and plundered, with no one to save you.

30You will be pledged in marriage to a woman, but another man will violate her. You will build a house but will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard but will not enjoy its fruit. 31Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will not eat any of it. Your donkey will be taken away and not returned to you. Your flock will be given to your enemies, and no one will save you.

32Your sons and daughters will be given to another nation, while your eyes grow weary looking for them day after day, with no power in your hand. 33A people you do not know will eat the produce of your land and of all your toil. All your days you will be oppressed and crushed. 34You will be driven mad by the sights you see.

35The LORD will afflict you with painful, incurable boils on your knees and thighs, from the soles of your feet to the top of your head…
    Isn’t it a breach of forum rules to be exchanging grooms insults like this ?
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

For a pagan you sure know your Bible!
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

psalms 137 - 8- p9 maybe

or

or

or

or.......

euw no to boils she might show them us
    Eh?
    deutoronmy 32:28 - 35 is
    The LORD will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head.
    No it isn't.

'28Israel is a nation devoid of counsel,
    with no understanding among them.
    29If only they were wise, they would understand it;
    they would comprehend their fate.
    30How could one man pursue a thousand,
    or two put ten thousand to flight,
    unless their Rock had sold them,
    unless the LORD had given them up?
    31For their rock is not like our Rock,
    even our enemies concede.h
    32But their vine is from the vine of Sodom
    and from the fields of Gomorrah.
    Their grapes are poisonous;
    their clusters are bitter.
    33Their wine is the venom of serpents,
    the deadly poison of cobras.
    34“Have I not stored up these things,
    sealed up within My vaults?
    35Vengeance is Mine; I will repay.i
    In due time their foot will slip;
    for their day of disaster is near,
    and their doom is coming quickly.”
    25The LORD will cause you to be defeated before your enemies. You will march out against them in one direction but flee from them in seven. You will be an object of horror to all the kingdoms of the earth. 26Your corpses will be food for all the birds of the air and beasts of the earth, with no one to scare them away.

27The LORD will afflict you with the boils of Egypt, with tumors and scabs and itch from which you cannot be cured.

28The LORD will afflict you with madness, blindness, and confusion of mind, 29and at noon you will grope about like a blind man in the darkness. You will not prosper in your ways. Day after day you will be oppressed and plundered, with no one to save you.

30You will be pledged in marriage to a woman, but another man will violate her. You will build a house but will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard but will not enjoy its fruit. 31Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will not eat any of it. Your donkey will be taken away and not returned to you. Your flock will be given to your enemies, and no one will save you.

32Your sons and daughters will be given to another nation, while your eyes grow weary looking for them day after day, with no power in your hand. 33A people you do not know will eat the produce of your land and of all your toil. All your days you will be oppressed and crushed. 34You will be driven mad by the sights you see.

35The LORD will afflict you with painful, incurable boils on your knees and thighs, from the soles of your feet to the top of your head…
    Isn’t it a breach of forum rules to be exchanging grooms insults like this ?
    rules dont apply to me

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Keep your enemies close
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Keep your enemies close
    Shurely, 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer?'
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Carnyx said:

A new account will be arriving shortly, Sean, sorry Leon's replacement.

Is doxxing an acceptable behaviour in your neck of the woods?
    The guiltiest poster when it comes to doxxing Leon, is Leon.
    But he doesn’t (as far as I am aware) actually acknowledge his real world persona. Just broadly hints
    He did gleefully announce it when I, quite by accident, posted a picture of his house. Or their house?
    Since Sean has put his various personalities out there, 'doxxing' is a bit strong - I think.

If you want a pseudonymous persona, don't reveal who you really are. That includes postings that allow others to draw conclusions about your identity.
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Keep your enemies close
    As an eve player I could quote the aphorism "I don't have friends I merely have people I haven't shot yet"
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Keep your enemies close
    As an eve player I could quote the aphorism "I don't have friends I merely have people I haven't shot yet"
    Are you mates with @Dura_Ace by any chance :smile:
    ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Keep your enemies close
    Are you mates with @Dura_Ace by any chance :smile:
    Not at all he is far too violent
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    So at No10 we have Mark Fullbrook, questioned by the FBI in connection with bribery.
    At No11 we have Nadim Zahawi, investigated by the NCA in connection with tax evasion.
    It's like a straight in poker.
    Will it be the Chief Whip at No9 who gets the visit from Interpol, or the Press Office at No12?
    Dynamo said:

So at No10 we have Mark Fullbrook, questioned by the FBI in connection with bribery.
    At No11 we have Nadim Zahawi, investigated by the NCA in connection with tax evasion.
    Will it be the Chief Whip at No9 who gets the visit from Interpol, or the Press Office at No12?

Probably putin in the hague first to answer for war crimes
  • ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - Mother long-lived & kept her marbles; father died young but all the females in his family were exceptionally long-lived & became wildly eccentric in later years
    - don't smoke
    - married with 3 children & on good terms with pretty much everyone
    - Catholic
    - Still working & interested in lots of stuff
    - Reasonably active with gardening but could do more on that front

Need to lose weight & have shit lungs and peculiar blood. But have managed to dodge Covid so maybe have something going for me. I've had something like 11 ops in my life and survived some really very serious illness which nearly killed me in my 20's so I have sort of lived life backwards, in terms of health. So am vaguely hoping that my latter years will be healthier than my younger years. Probably foolish.

I would only add one thing to this list.

A day without laughter is a day wasted.

An hour without an awesome pun is an hour of all hour time wasted.
    Oh well done! A big smile on my face right now.

I shall get you to smuggle City based puns into my drama.
    I'm willing to try, and I think you can bank on my efforts being a success.
    Try any more like that and I’ll have you cashiered

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - Mother long-lived & kept her marbles; father died young but all the females in his family were exceptionally long-lived & became wildly eccentric in later years
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

Need to lose weight & have shit lungs and peculiar blood. But have managed to dodge Covid so maybe have something going for me. I've had something like 11 ops in my life and survived some really very serious illness which nearly killed me in my 20's so I have sort of lived life backwards, in terms of health. So am vaguely hoping that my latter years will be healthier than my younger years. Probably foolish.

I'll withdraw.
  • There's an investigation into why Big Ben didn't Bong.
    Dynamo said:

Our Government ministers and advisors may have a whiff of scandal about them from time to time, but compared to the Kremlin our boys are Hackney Marshes Sunday kickabout standard to the Russians who are top four Premiership.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Macron goes incognito on Funeral eve to see some of those queuing

https://twitter.com/FlorianCheVerdi/status/1571558232723709959?s=20&t=3PWXbcnaIQ9lEIjPldKw2w
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    Re; the Tom McTague piece in the Atlantic, that now seems to their top-read article, I would tend to agree with Kinabalu that the Helen Lewis piece is much more on target, and Sunder Katwala earlier on today even more so.

There's very little on Charles's passion for the environment as a global issue, or his fascination of several decades for non-Anglican religions alongside his official role. There's a few interesting moments, but some of it just reads like a self-serving romantic Telegraph fantasy ; Brexit is described purely as "a quiet desire to return Tolkien's shire , and withdraw from a global role". Nothing to do with post-industrial bitterness and massive inequalities, obviously, or the less elegant, less pretty or more unpalatable fact that a large number of people just voted to both annoy metropolitans and stop immigration.
    edited September 2022

There's an investigation into why Big Ben didn't Bong.

Its clapper fell out so it couldn't bang anything.
    edited September 2022
    Quite the protest.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1571473584039624704
    Alla Pugacheva*publicly asks Russia's Justice Ministry to list her as a foreign agent with her husband, Maxim Galkin. Her message also calls for an end to "the deaths of our boys for illusory aims that make our country a pariah and weigh down the lives of its citizens."

*National treasure in Russia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alla_Pugacheva
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/FlorianCheVerdi/status/1571558232723709959?s=20&t=3PWXbcnaIQ9lEIjPldKw2w

How do you go incognito when no one knows you exist?
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

I'll withdraw.
    I'd better not join in or people will lose interest.
    edited September 2022
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

I'll withdraw.
    Well, we all will at this rate.

@Cyclefree I think you have your banking puns!
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

I'll withdraw.
    yawns
    HYUFD said:

Is stealing Trussy's thunder a good look?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    “Pawnbrokers, winners of Germany's growing economic crisis”

https://amp.dw.com/en/pawnbrokers-winners-of-germanys-growing-economic-crisis/a-63142606

Good read on an early indicator of economic stress in the lower percentiles as energy prices bite. Probably a similar picture here.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

A new account will be arriving shortly, Sean, sorry Leon's replacement.

Is doxxing an acceptable behaviour in your neck of the woods?
    The guiltiest poster when it comes to doxxing Leon, is Leon.
    But he doesn’t (as far as I am aware) actually acknowledge his real world persona. Just broadly hints
    He did gleefully announce it when I, quite by accident, posted a picture of his house. Or their house?
    Since Sean has put his various personalities out there, 'doxxing' is a bit strong - I think.

If you want a pseudonymous persona, don't reveal who you really are. That includes postings that allow others to draw conclusions about your identity.
    My favourite are the travel photos which bear an uncanny resemblance to those on Twitter from Sean Thomas Knox. As if he is stalking poor Leon, Eadric, LadyG, etc, etc.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    carnforth said:

“Pawnbrokers, winners of Germany's growing economic crisis”

https://amp.dw.com/en/pawnbrokers-winners-of-germanys-growing-economic-crisis/a-63142606

Good read on an early indicator of economic stress in the lower percentiles as energy prices bite. Probably a similar picture here.

Yes, I saw a British pawnbroker being interviewed on the news last week.

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

How do you go incognito when no one knows you exist?
    Quite easily, of course.
    Support for Scottish independence falls to just 42% including DKs after the Queen's death

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1571452518739357696?s=20&t=vudMocWgBr1SRF9hPNv4jA

HYUFD said:

Well, it leads me to think better of him.

I'm prepared to consider the possibility he's not a complete scumbag.

He's still an empty suit though.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Some superb NFL games tonight.

Redzone is back in my life with a bang.
    yawns

HYUFD said:

Trussy doesn't have any thunder. Politicians make the mistake of thinking they matter

people meet Tom cruise, arnold schwarzenegger, penelope cruz, olivia wilde they generally want a selfie shot. People meet most politicians and it is "sorry who are you"
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Re; the Tom McTague piece in the Atlantic, that now seems to their top-read article, I would tend to agree with Kinabalu that the Helen Lewis piece is much more on target, and Sunder Katwala earlier on today even more so.

There's very little on Charles's passion for the environment as a global issue, or his fascination of several decades for non-Anglican religions alongside his official role. There's a few interesting moments, but some of it just reads like a self-serving romantic Telegraph fantasy ; Brexit is described purely as "a quiet desire to return Tolkien's shire , and withdraw from a global role". Nothing to do with post-industrial bitterness and massive inequalities, obviously, or the less elegant, less pretty or more unpalatable fact that a large number of people just voted to both annoy metropolitans and stop immigration.

Quite a few voted to see the back of Cameron, too.
  • HYUFD said:

President Macron is the David Beckham of the Champs Elysees.
    HYUFD said:

Support for Scottish independence falls to just 42% including DKs after the Queen's death

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1571452518739357696?s=20&t=vudMocWgBr1SRF9hPNv4jA

If Truss is smart she'll scramble a Sindyref2 pronto.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

I'll withdraw.
    Well, we all will at this rate.

@Cyclefree I think you have your banking puns!
    I am sure they will be of interest, if someone will commission the play.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,124
    HYUFD said:

"including DKs"
    "limited [...] poll"

Away and play with a train set.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

Quite a few voted to see the back of Cameron, too.
    Yes, a general f*** you much more often the writer's fondly imagined "quiet return to shire", I think.
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

President Macron is the David Beckham of the Champs Elysees.
    Well still most wouldnt recognize him if stood next to him is a bus stop. Most they would think is gosh isn't he a short arse
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

If she's even smarter, she'll remember what happened to Wendy Alexander*, and refrain.

*She got defenestrated for merely *suggesting* it.
    Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Trussy doesn't have any thunder. Politicians make the mistake of thinking they matter

people meet Tom cruise, arnold schwarzenegger, penelope cruz, olivia wilde they generally want a selfie shot. People meet most politicians and it is "sorry who are you"
    Sorry, if you are President of a major nation like Macron plenty would want a selfie, even a few of that largely British crowd were taking pictures.

Boris and Trump and Corbyn always attracted huge numbers wanting selfies with them

HYUFD said:

So no Sindyref2?
    Some people now queuing twice to see the coffin for their last chance at the lying in state
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1571520103438778371?s=20&t=vudMocWgBr1SRF9hPNv4jA
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Sorry, if you are President of a major nation like Macron plenty would want a selfie, even a few of that largely British crowd were taking pictures.

Boris and Trump and Corbyn always attracted huge numbers wanting selfies with them
    Huge numbers of people like you....most people aren't like you and wouldnt recognise a politician if one fell on them. We really dont give a shit about politicians they are vaguely ugly people who try and tell us what to do and we ignore them.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    HYUFD said:

Some people now queuing twice to see the coffin for their last chance at the lying in state
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1571520103438778371?s=20&t=vudMocWgBr1SRF9hPNv4jA

Haven't they closed it yet?
  • HYUFD said:

I think the jury is out on that one.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

I'll withdraw.
    Hmmh. I’ll need to cheque that’s allowed.
    Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

"TomCruise, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Penelope Cruz and Olivia Wilde" aren't about to preside over the Mother and Father of economic crashes, so forgive me, but "Politicians matter"
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    rcs1000 - At my age, 79, I still cross country ski when I can, but I can only do it moderately. Or maybe even slowly.
    But even slowly I find it great fun, and it is a great low-impact way to exercise.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

I'll withdraw.
    You are a card.
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Haven't they closed it yet?
    No, not until it reaches full capacity, now down to 8 hours

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJxDwDzAwEs
    HYUFD said:
    That's the first time he"s ever appeared well-hung.

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

"TomCruise, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Penelope Cruz and Olivia Wilde" aren't about to preside over the Mother and Father of economic crashes, so forgive me, but "Politicians matter"
    Not to most people who think it doesn't really matter who is in charge they are still going to get shat on
    edited September 2022
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Huge numbers of people like you....most people aren't like you and wouldnt recognise a politician if one fell on them. We really dont give a shit about politicians they are vaguely ugly people who try and tell us what to do and we ignore them.

Almost everyone in Britain knows who Boris and Corbyn are indeed probably far more than know who most most actors and sports stars with a few exceptions like Beckham. Top politicians are recognised, especially if charismatic
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Macron is one of a dozen or so non UK politicians I instantly recognise, he is remarkably good looking and he doesn't tell me what to do. Apart from that...
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Everyone in Britain knows who Boris and Corbyn are indeed probably far more than most actors and sports stars with a few exceptions like Beckham. Top politicians are recognised, especially if charismatic
    I might recognise johnson if I bumped into him, I certainly wouldnt recognise corbyn. I didnt recognise May when I bumped into her when I lived in maidenhead
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

The trio of chaos!
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Macron is one of a dozen or so non UK politicians I instantly recognise, he is remarkably good looking and he doesn't tell me what to do. Apart from that...
    would you recognize him if stood next to him at a bus stop probably not
    edited September 2022
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Everyone in Britain knows who Boris and Corbyn are indeed probably far more than most actors and sports stars with a few exceptions like Beckham. Top politicians are recognised, especially if charismatic
    I might recognise johnson if I bumped into him, I certainly wouldnt recognise corbyn. I didnt recognise May when I bumped into her when I lived in maidenhead
    Yes but May was not charismatic, if you wanted a photo with her it would be because she was PM and you recognised her not her warm and charismatic personality
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Of foreign political leaders I expect most British people would at least recognise Macron, Putin and Biden even if not very political, maybe Trudeau at a push too
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

You know about it if Johnson bumped into you. The fat f*** would send you flying.
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Yes but May was not charismatic, if you wanted a photo with her it would be because she was PMand you recognised her not her warm and charismatic personality
    A) I wouldn't have wanted a photo with her even if I had recognized her. I might of told her she was a complete and utter c**t and do the country a favour and piss off

B) If I recognized either Corbyn or johnson or in fact any leading politician I would have probably responded similarly to A). Politicians we have now are the problem. They think they are important but they are self serving shits one and all
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Yes, I would know I knew him. Might think he was an actor, or Trudeau, mind.
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Of foreign political leaders I expect most British people would at least recognise Macron, Putin and Biden even if not very political, maybe Trudeau at a push too
    I am a normal run of the mill person. We think most politicians are crap no bodies. I talk to people all over the world and they all seem to think the same. No one cares who gets elected anymore as they are all crap
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Yes but May was not charismatic, if you wanted a photo with her it would be because she was PM and you recognised her not her warm and charismatic personality
    Such loyalty to your Party Leader.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Such loyalty to your Party Leader.
    I might actually recognize sturgeon but the I would be thinking she is wee jimmie crankie which my confuse her
  • HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Not sure that's fair.

Sure, TM was only PM by accident, it didn't last that long and didn't go well for her (or anyone else). But she was in a Great Office for the best part of a decade, and had been a big cheese (see what I did there?) in the Conservative party for much longer than that. That doesn't happen without a decent slice of poltical talent and charisma.

Her tribute to HMQ showed a warmth and a degree of comic timing that was more than adequate. She's better at it than I (or I suspect you) would be- if not, she wouldn't even have been given the chance to fail as PM.
    edited September 2022
    Deleted
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Pagan2 said:

I am a normal run of the mill person. We think most politicians are crap no bodies. I talk to people all over the world and they all seem to think the same. No one cares who gets elected anymore as they are all crap

Why, then, do you think that turnout at elections in most countries exceeds 50% - indeed over 80% in some? You, like most of us, extrapolate from the people you know, who by semi-conscious self-selection tend to be people like you.
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

May is quite a tall and striking figure. You wouldn't mistake her for Liz Truss, who one may well find invisible in a crowd.

Pagan2 said:

Why, then, do you think that turnout at elections in most countries exceeds 50% - indeed over 80% in some? You, like most of us, extrapolate from the people you know, who by semi-conscious self-selection tend to be people like you.
    because most people still turn out and vote tribally frankly. On the other hand you have people like me , I like politics , I follow politics who have now stopped bothering because there frankly is no longer any point voting because its arsehole A or arselhole b the only choice is how you want to be buggered. As tribal voting decreases and it is I expect turnout to fall.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,761
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

The current PM of Italy, Mario Draghi, I would recognise but only from his time at the ECB.

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

Not sure that's fair.

Sure, TM was only PM by accident, it didn't last that long and didn't go well for her (or anyone else). But she was in a Great Office for the best part of a decade, and had been a big cheese (see what I did there?) in the Conservative party for much longer than that. That doesn't happen without a decent slice of poltical talent and charisma.

Her tribute to HMQ showed a warmth and a degree of comic timing that was more than adequate. She's better at it than I (or I suspect you) would be- if not, she wouldn't even have been given the chance to fail as PM.
    I respect Theresa May but on no definition is she charismatic
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

The current PM of Italy, Mario Draghi, I would recognise but only from his time at the ECB.

I doubt the average Briton in the bus queue would recognise Draghi however
    edited September 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

because most people still turn out and vote tribally frankly. On the other hand you have people like me , I like politics , I follow politics who have now stopped bothering because there frankly is no longer any point voting because its arsehole A or arselhole b the only choice is how you want to be buggered. As tribal voting decreases and it is I expect turnout to fall.
    You have two arseholes? A multiplicity of choice, as you say. I congratulate you. Some of us are deprived, like Yorkshiremen, and only have one.
    edited September 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Plenty of people loved and were enthused by Corbyn and Johnson, turnout was 67% at the last general election even if plenty hated them too.

Starmer and Truss are more bland, few love them, few hate them
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

yawns

HYUFD said:

I doubt the average Briton in the bus queue would recognise Draghi however
    Yes, its positively weird how few folk find macroeconomics and the actions of central banks fascinating. Don't understand it myself.
    I might actually recognize sturgeon but the I would be thinking she is wee jimmie crankie which my confuse her
    Are you like twelve years old?

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You have two arseholes? A multiplicity of choice, as you say. I congratulate you. Some of us are deprived, like Yorkshiremen, and only have one.
    You're too modest. As a committed supporter of the Scottish government you have dozens.
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You have two arseholes? A multiplicity of choice, as you say. Some of us are deprived, like Yorkshiremen, and only have one.
    I dont have a multiplicity of arseholes merely saying our system of democracy is no longer fit for purpose as the only people who get elected are mediocrities

I am absolutely for democracy, just not this one invented 300 years ago. Lets find one that actually encourages people of talent to join on all sides. You only have to look at the two front benches and think "If I had a whelk stall would I trust any of these people to run it and improve it". I supect the answer is no. They are mediocre people one and all
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You're too modest. As a committed supporter of the Scottish government you have dozens.
    Come now, that's not with your usual subtlety.

Are you like twelve years old?

gosh what a put down I will consider myself burnt....not. You failed to see I note the humourous intent of the post
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Trying to make up for the absence of @Leon tonight. Had most of a bottle of wine and everything. Not sure I am cutting it though.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Trying to make up for the absence of @Leon tonight. Had most of a bottle of wine and everything. Not sure I am cutting it though.
    Needs a photo. But thanks for trying!😀
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

hand david a crate of wine....drink that you will be leon II
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,272
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Based on this list -

- female
    - don't smoke
    - Catholic

I'll withdraw.
    You are a card.
    I can't think of a response to that one atm.
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Plenty of people loved and were enthused by Corbyn and Johnson, turnout was 67% at the last general election even if plenty hated them too.

Starmer and Truss are more bland, few love them, few hate them
    True of Starmer. Truss is highly distinctive, like the doll in Child's Play.
This discussion has been closed.