Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Queen Elizabeth. Lessons from a life well lived. – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
imageQueen Elizabeth. Lessons from a life well lived. – politicalbetting.com

One of the striking features of the national grief is how personally affiliated people felt towards the late Queen. A frequent comment from mourners in The Queue and similar vox pops was “it was like losing my granny”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    7) Gin and dubonnet.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    @Foxy

An interesting header but, in the fashion of PedanticBetting.com, I should point out HMQEQM was 101 not 102 when she died.
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Surprised to see Augsburg beat Bayern Munich. Less so to see Udinese beat Inter Milan.
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Surprised to see Augsburg beat Bayern Munich. Less so to see Udinese beat Inter Milan.

I was at St. Mirren 2 - 0 Celtic!
    Apart from a bit of chanting during the minute's applause for the late Queen, their fans were rather quiet.
    C'mon the Saints!
  • Mr. Alan, reasonably sure the Saints are occupied conducting Her Majesty to the Almighty.
  • IshmaelZ said:

7) Gin and dubonnet.

That was the Queen Mother's favourite drink wasn't it?

A very interesting subject for a thread. You could go into greater dietary detail - the Buckingham Palace menus are public. Lots and lots of eggs I think I remember reading. Eggs with everything.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

7) Gin and dubonnet.

That was the Queen Mother's favourite drink wasn't it?

A very interesting subject for a thread. You could go into greater dietary detail - the Buckingham Palace menus are public. Lots and lots of eggs I think I remember reading. Eggs with everything.
    Both of them I think
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    A ward full of BJO's, produces Labours worst council by election result ever in this ward.

Twitter seems to think SKSs hierarchy of racism did not go down well with the large Asian Population

Last night's Rumworth (Bolton) council by-election result:

CON: 55.0% (+44.1)
    LAB: 37.6% (-35.2)
    GRN: 5.3% (-2.6)
    LDEM: 1.2% (-0.8)
    REF: 0.8% (+0.8)

No UKIP (-6.3) as prev.

Chgs. w/ 2019

Votes cast: 2,928

Conservative GAIN from Labour.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,063
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

@Foxy

An interesting header but, in the fashion of PedanticBetting.com, I should point out HMQEQM was 101 not 102 when she died.

Also the wrong chart in the header, I meant to put in female life expectancy, and healthy life expectancy, though perhaps the first is relevant to KCIII:

Interesting to see that while females don't have such a life expectancy by decile, the trend for healthy life expectancy is just as marked.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-profile-for-england/chapter-5-inequality-in-health#:~:text=the least deprived areas had,most deprived areas (51.9 years)

For all the areas covered, it is hard to be sure what is cause and what is effect. Does being healthy keep you wealthy or vice versa?

Nonetheless, I think it will be quite some time to the next succession. Having got the top job, I think King Charles will want a decent run in office.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited September 2022
    Good points all.
    What is "healthy life" and what is moderate exercise. I appreciate that there is a "how long is a piece of string" aspect to these. Maybe there is also an element of "I know when I see it" ?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,246
    Nice threader Doctor @Foxy

All good advice

The Queen kept her complexion until late in life, as well, so I imagine she was NOT A SMOKER

Notably unlike her late sister who died so much younger
  • A ward full of BJO's, produces Labours worst council by election result ever in this ward.

Twitter seems to think SKSs hierarchy of racism did not go down well with the large Asian Population

No UKIP (-6.3) as prev.

Chgs. w/ 2019

Twitter - or at least the bit of it that you're reading - has an over-simplistic, and indeed wrong, interpretation of the result.

Bolton council's previous Labour administration is not very popular for a number of reasons.
    Bolton Conservative have become well-rgoanised, enthusiastic and energetic, and have been doing very well recently - so well, they've become the largest group on the council, albeit not a majority.
    The Tories have also been doing well in this ward - tripling their 2019 vote in 2021 and 2022.
    A Labour councillor in this ward, perhaps seeing te writing on the wall, defected to the Cons earlier this year.
    This ward has a very high ethnic percentage, and as such the background of candidates can have a significant impact on their support.

All in all, it was a good victory for the Cons, but neither outstanding nor unexpected - at least to those who do some research.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

A ward full of BJO's, produces Labours worst council by election result ever in this ward.

No UKIP (-6.3) as prev.

Chgs. w/ 2019

I understood that there were some extenuating circumstances such as defects by candidates from Labour to Con.

Still in your team did very well, and if these figures can be extrapolated onto the national picture it would result in a humiliation for Starmer. I am surprised no one has Baxtered them yet.
    Leon said:

All good advice

The Queen kept her complexion until late in life, as well, so I imagine she was NOT A SMOKER

Or her father! I took not-smoking as so obvious as to not merit a mention.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

No UKIP (-6.3) as prev.

Chgs. w/ 2019

That was discussed at the time (and the time was not last night - you're out by 48 hours).

It's interesting how you only come on here to post a days old by-election that just so happens to confirm what your existing beliefs.
    FPT for @Luckyguy1983

"26 is a woman's peak of physical attractiveness so they say."

Not sure that's true. Ample evidence suggests men find women around 18-23 years old the most beautiful

"The graphs show a worrying sliding scale where both 20-year-old and 49-year-old men both cite women aged 20 as what they find the most attractive. The age of a woman men find most attractive never makes it above 24."

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/22/men-regardless-age-will-always-attracted-women-early-20s-8718590/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/women-online-daters-peak-at-age-18-men-peak-at-50-2018-08-17

This makes Darwinian sense, as it coincides with peak fertility

"the average woman's fertility peaks in her early 20s."

https://www.babycenter.com/getting-pregnant/preparing-for-pregnancy/age-and-fertility-getting-pregnant-in-your-20s_1494692

Indeed it would be decidedly odd if men did NOT find the most fertile women the most attractive

Foxy said:

Leon said:

All good advice

Or her father! I took not-smoking as so obvious as to not merit a mention.

15% of people in the UK still smoke, which amazes me. So 1 in 6 people still need to be told: FFS stop smoking

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/drugusealcoholandsmoking/bulletins/smokingprevalenceintheukandtheimpactofdatacollectionchanges/2020#:~:text=The proportion of adults aged,downward trend seen since 1974.

Toms said:

Good points all.
    What is "healthy life" and what is moderate exercise. I appreciate that there is a "how long is a piece of string" aspect to these. Maybe there is also an element of "I know when I see it" ?

In these graphs "good health" is essentially self defined:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-profile-for-england/chapter-1-life-expectancy-and-healthy-life-expectancy

Moderate exercise is 30 min per day, sufficient to significantly raise the heart rate.

The healthy life expectancy is pretty important, as John Mortimer once opined "no pleasure is worth forgoing for the prospect of 3 more years in the geriatric ward" or worse to that effect.

One thing though is that the need for social care for the elderly looks to be in inverse ratio to means required to pay for it.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,617
    rcs1000 said:

No UKIP (-6.3) as prev.

Chgs. w/ 2019

That was discussed at the time (and the time was not last night - you're out by 48 hours).

It's interesting how you only come on here to post a days old by-election that just so happens to confirm what your existing beliefs.
    Activist for X boosts good news for X.

Film at 11.
    edited September 2022

No UKIP (-6.3) as prev.

Chgs. w/ 2019

Twitter - or at least the bit of it that you're reading - has an over-simplistic, and indeed wrong, interpretation of the result.

Bolton council's previous Labour administration is not very popular for a number of reasons.
    Bolton Conservative have become well-rgoanised, enthusiastic and energetic, and have been doing very well recently - so well, they've become the largest group on the council, albeit not a majority.
    The Tories have also been doing well in this ward - tripling their 2019 vote in 2021 and 2022.
    A Labour councillor in this ward, perhaps seeing te writing on the wall, defected to the Cons earlier this year.
    This ward has a very high ethnic percentage, and as such the background of candidates can have a significant impact on their support.

All in all, it was a good victory for the Cons, but neither outstanding nor unexpected - at least to those who do some research.
    Yes 40% swing fully explained by your research into Con becoming "well-rgoanised" Well done

Especially since Bolton news says "Tories in Bolton were quite open in saying that this election was not about party identity - they successfully distanced themselves from the Tory brand and campaigned almost as independents."

Its been all downhill since Corbyn Labour got 77% of votes in that ward in 2016

https://www.bolton.gov.uk/downloads/file/1164/rumworth-by-election-results
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Good advice, but you're forgotten one. Be born female.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    ydoethur said:

@Foxy

Perhaps HMQEQM was unbeknownst to all a fan of traditional japanese age counting, where she would be one at birth, and thus made it to 102
    CD13 said:

Good advice, but you're forgotten one. Be born female.

Not in keeping with the times.
    Nate Silver has an excellent piece on 538 about why he thinks that the Democrats are probably not overstated:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-the-polls-overestimate-democrats-again/

And Nate Cohn at the NYTimes has a piece arguing the opposite:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/12/upshot/polling-midterms-warning.html
    What did @Leon do to get banned?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    rcs1000 said:

I’m going with those damn AI images again.
  • Has @Leon been banned?

What have i missed?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,533
    kle4 said:

I'm not doing too well on this list

1) Parent dead at 45, and one at 72 (okish health)

2) Not married or with kids

3) Non-committal with family

4) Athiest

5) Snacking on junk food and sedentary

6) Currently in work

Based on that this might well be my final post before I pop my clogs.

So funny !

The stress of keeping up a healthy life style can do more harm than good . That’s my motto !
    Apparently MBS is not longer coming to the funeral. There's only so many butchers we can have in one place and others got in first.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2022
    "UK citizens should have priority in the queue." Discuss.
  • rcs1000 said:

Nate Silver has an excellent piece on 538 about why he thinks that the Democrats are probably not overstated:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-the-polls-overestimate-democrats-again/

And Nate Cohn at the NYTimes has a piece arguing the opposite:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/12/upshot/polling-midterms-warning.html

I see Trump has said unless the Republics win then it means the "destruction" of the US.
    kle4 said:

4) Athiest

6) Currently in work

There is also a random element to health, so you may be in luck.

On the religion side, I suspect that at least part of the effect is from the sense of community and purpose that matters, rather than God wanting to keep out Christians for as long as possible. Have you considered delivering Focus leaflets and canvassing as a valid alternative? Good for the moderate exercise too 😊
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Not really practical.

1) How many non-UK citizens are there anyway? Do they really make up a significant proportion? Seems unlikely, so why bother with the effort.
    2) Commonwealth Realm citizens shared the Queen as Head of State, equal standing seems reasonable there.
    3) How would citizenship be checked, when we do not (thankfully) require people to carry identification papers whereever they go? "Are you a citizen?" "...Yes?"
  • A new account will be arriving shortly, Sean, sorry Leon's replacement.
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

@Foxy

Perhaps HMQEQM was unbeknownst to all a fan of traditional japanese age counting, where she would be one at birth, and thus made it to 102
    That reminds me of one my favourite XKCDs:

https://xkcd.com/163/
    rcs1000 said:

Usually its pretty clear, not so this time.
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

The whole point we’ve been told is that the Queen was popular globally . So the queue is a celebration of her international appeal. I think it would look terrible to put that policy in place .
    Bit late now anyway. Unless in the queue already you might have to wait until after the funeral to visit.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    A good thread from Mr Foxy, or Dr should I say.

This is quite a good article from Sunder Katwala today. Britain is a bizarre mix of the ultra-traditional and the ultra-liberal, and probably has been since the 18th century. Charles's formative years in the ultra-paradoxical Britain of the late '60s, for a while both more socially adventurous and more traditional than the rest of Europe at the same time, will dovetail with that quite neatly.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/18/can-you-be-both-keen-on-tradition-and-open-to-change-that-sounds-like-britain-to-me
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,763
    Oh like, what a nice thread.
    Whether you subscribe to the idea that freezing of diplomatic reactions is a good idea or not, I see the Russian foreign service is keeping up its tradition of hysterical commentary. From BBC:

Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has condemned Britain's decision not to invite Russian officials to attend the Queen's funeral on Monday.

"We see this British attempt to use the national tragedy, which has touched the hearts of millions of people around the world, for geopolitical purposes to settle scores with our country... as deeply immoral," foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.

Diplomatic relations between the UK and Russia have all but collapsed since Russia's invasion of Ukraine. A spokesperson for Russian President Vladimir Putin had already said the Russian leader was "not considering" attending the funeral.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

4) Athiest

6) Currently in work

In several ways I live at cross purposes too. But I was told that I have a (distant) relative who lived from 1692 to 1798. He was half French (Huguenot) and half Irish, surely a powerful mix. And they didn't have junk food back then.
  • Nice piece, young Foxy. You show great promise as a writer.

Pleased to note I tick most of those boxes, except being stinking rich.
    Andy_JS said:

Above citizens of other countries where she's Head of State?

I can't think of a better way of turning Australia into a Republic.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    Andy_JS said:

No.
    The point of a queue is that no one should have priority. Not Philip Schofield, not Leon, not British people.
    You arrive, you get in the queue, and you reach the front in the order you arrive.
    On which subject, nothing brings me out in righteous class anger more than queue jump tickets at theme parks.
    kle4 said:

Whether you subscribe to the idea that freezing of diplomatic reactions is a good idea or not, I see the Russian foreign service is keeping up its tradition of hysterical commentary. From BBC:

Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has condemned Britain's decision not to invite Russian officials to attend the Queen's funeral on Monday.

"We see this British attempt to use the national tragedy, which has touched the hearts of millions of people around the world, for geopolitical purposes to settle scores with our country... as deeply immoral," foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.

Diplomatic relations between the UK and Russia have all but collapsed since Russia's invasion of Ukraine. A spokesperson for Russian President Vladimir Putin had already said the Russian leader was "not considering" attending the funeral.

Well, he needn't worry about invitations for his own. Throwing battered corpses in the river a la Tiberius Gracchus is normally done on a quite informal basis.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

Nice piece, young Foxy. You show great promise as a writer.

Pleased to note I tick most of those boxes, except being stinking rich.

Are you posting from your country estate, or the London penthouse?
    RobD said:

Has @Leon been banned?

What have i missed?

He didn’t join The Queue.
    I was wondering if the Mod had been queueing and was annoyed at Leon's boasting about VIP access.

But such an act of personal spite would be out of character.
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? I can. Make Andrew King.
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Well, he needn't worry about invitations for his own. Throwing battered corpses in the river a la Tiberius Gracchus is normally done on a quite informal basis.
    He should avoid lampposts and service station frames.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Just enjoyed a 40 minute checkout queue. Worse than Christmas eve...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2022
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

The whole point we’ve been told is that the Queen was popular globally . So the queue is a celebration of her international appeal. I think it would look terrible to put that policy in place .
    Indeed, I was queuing next to South Africans
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2022
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

I reckon that in any other country in the world it would be automatic that the citizens of that country would get priority in this sort of situation (or people from countries where the Queen was head of state).
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

He should avoid lampposts and service station frames.
    I hate to disagree - but he really shouldn't...
  • Expanding slightly on Foxy's piece, the variation in life expectancy between different social groups, and different areas, is quite astonishing. In East Sussex, for example, there is something like a ten-year difference across just a few miles between the rural, generally prosperous north, and the less prosperous strip along the coast around Hastings.
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed, I was queuing next to South Africans
    Was Spitting Image correct, or can you now honestly say you have met a nice South African?
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited September 2022
    An interesting thread, thanks. We have a number of posters with different areas of expertise here and it would be nice to read the occasional one about some random thing that people know a lot about, even if it's not directly and obviously related to political betting.

Chilling out is another good tip. I've seen a study that says being under repeated and regular heavy stress shorterns your life by up to three years. Of course that's partly covered by no.3 - but arguably the antithesis of #2.

I think not drinking to excess is certainly another tip. According to a random website: "One study found that people drinking more than 25 drinks a week have a shorter life expectancy by four to five years. Another study in Scandinavia concluded that people hospitalized for an alcohol use disorder had a lifespan that was 24 to 28 years fewer [sic] than the general population."

I was wondering about religion too - whether its effect is explained through correlation with other variables. Religious people are I think significantly less likely to smoke and drink and more likely to get and stay married. So it isn't so much the belief in itself, rather that it is covered amongst the other pieces of advice you give.
  • Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

I reckon that in any other country in the world it would be automatic that the citizens of that country would get priority in this sort of situation. Only in this country would that not be the case.
    but the reasons for not doing so have been articulated below . Also another one, do we really want people having to bring ,check passports/driving licenses in the centre of London? What a miserable idea
  • Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

No.
    The point of a queue is that no one should have priority. Not Philip Schofield, not Leon, not British people.
    You arrive, you get in the queue, and you reach the front in the order you arrive.
    On which subject, nothing brings me out in righteous class anger more than queue jump tickets at theme parks.
    yes , I am far from being a class war activist but really really hate theme parks for doing this (and anyone crass enough to buy queue jumping tickets ) . In fact you can tell a lot about a persons true class/character if they dont buy fast track tickets which is of course why David Beckham got so much respect for doing what he did
    Surprised there hasn't been more pouring over His Majesty's statement to faith leaders

https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/status/1570824611104948225
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

I reckon that in any other country in the world it would be automatic that the citizens of that country would get priority in this sort of situation (or people from countries where the Queen was head of state).
    And how do you 'reckon' that they would police such a situation? How could we?

Can you tell a British citizen from a non-British citizen at a glance? Because I cannot.
  • Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

@Foxy

Also the wrong chart in the header, I meant to put in female life expectancy, and healthy life expectancy, though perhaps the first is relevant to KCIII:

Interesting to see that while females don't have such a life expectancy by decile, the trend for healthy life expectancy is just as marked.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-profile-for-england/chapter-5-inequality-in-health#:~:text=the least deprived areas had,most deprived areas (51.9 years)

For all the areas covered, it is hard to be sure what is cause and what is effect. Does being healthy keep you wealthy or vice versa?

Nonetheless, I think it will be quite some time to the next succession. Having got the top job, I think King Charles will want a decent run in office.
    My guess is William will want the kids to have grown up. So let’s say 12+ years (when Charles is 85) at a minimum
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,159
    carnforth said:

We’ve realised late in the day that it’s basically like Christmas or Easter and should be planned as such. No presents, but a lie in then watch the funeral followed by a big roast (we got a duck) and some nice wine, an afternoon walk then cheese and biscuits for supper.

That plus a couple of teams calls and in my case an early call from the beeb to talk about tax on the Today programme.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    kle4 said:

Surprised there hasn't been more pouring over His Majesty's statement to faith leaders

The statement seems to me exactly on the ball.

• A new account will be arriving shortly, Sean, sorry Leon's replacement.

Is doxxing an acceptable behaviour in your neck of the woods?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

We’ve realised late in the day that it’s basically like Christmas or Easter and should be planned as such. No presents, but a lie in then watch the funeral followed by a big roast (we got a duck) and some nice wine, an afternoon walk then cheese and biscuits for supper.

That plus a couple of teams calls and in my case an early call from the beeb to talk about tax on the Today programme.
    My Mum's birthday tomorrow. We shall go for a family walk up Cat's Tor, Cheshire (a lovely walk for the reluctant hillwalker - you park quite near the top; there is much more along than up), then back to her house for tea. All the while trying to put middle daughter entirely at ease for her 11+ the next day. (I, er, may have mentioned this. It's been the focus of the Cookie family summer. 48 hours until it's all over. I may be a little emotional on Tuesday.)
    Thought of the day.

Is Coffey the first health secretary in NHS history to care more about commas than comas?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    And the one not mentioned by Foxy for the good reason that it goes without saying - QUIT THE SMOKES.

I'm talking in particular to a certain North London (not) clear thinking progressive here. 🤐
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone else know what a proper queue is? SFAICS this classic UK queue ending tomorrow morning will see some people married who at the beginning of the queue hadn't even met.

As Gordon Brown says "British queues for British citizens".

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? I can. Make Andrew King.
    Still, that does open up a way to slim down the monarchy and allow other nations to claim they have their own heads of state - give them the spares from the House of Windsor. King Henry I of Canada. Queen Anne I of New Zealand. King Andrew I of the Pitcairn Islands...
  • TimS said:

carnforth said:

What time are you on?

Fishing said:

An interesting thread, thanks. We have a number of posters with different areas of expertise here and it would be nice to read the occasional one about some random thing that people know a lot about, even if it's not directly and obviously related to political betting.

Chilling out is another good tip. I've seen a study that says being under repeated and regular heavy stress shorterns your life by up to three years. Of course that's partly covered by no.3 - but arguably the antithesis of #2.

I think not drinking to excess is certainly another tip. According to a random website: "One study found that people drinking more than 25 drinks a week have a shorter life expectancy by four to five years. Another study in Scandinavia concluded that people hospitalized for an alcohol use disorder had a lifespan that was 24 to 28 years fewer [sic] than the general population."

I was wondering about religion too - whether its effect is explained through correlation with other variables. Religious people are I think significantly less likely to smoke and drink and more likely to get and stay married. So it isn't so much the belief in itself, rather that it is covered amongst the other pieces of advice you give.

Yes, I am sure you are correct. My slightly puritanical Church is run by sprightly, abstemious elderly folk. There must be a lot of overlap between my six factors (and smoking). The cannot be purely additive.

Alcohol is another tricky one, sometimes depicted as a U shaped curve with peak health amongst light drinkers, and worse in both teetotalers and heavy drinkers, but we do need to bear in mind that sometimes people become teetotal due to ill health.

In terms of stress, I am aware of the Civil Service health study which showed higher rates of heart disease amongst lower grades. The theory is that stress is particularly bad when the individual cannot exert control over it. Indeed a certain amount of stress may be a necessary seasoning to life.

kle4 said:

He will be defender of faith as well as protector of the Anglican settlement
    edited September 2022
    I suggest we now begin the official PB 24 hours of mourning, including the Queen's funeral.

Leon and Casino to enforce
  • Fishing said:

yes it really would be weird if being religious in itself added years to life (almost proving God in the sense of some divine intervention )
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    edited September 2022
    Isn't there a 7?

Be wealthy. The rich tend to live longer than the poor, don't they?

EDIT - just reread the intro. It's there!

Isn't there a 7?

Be wealthy. The rich tend to live longer than the poor, don't they?

Number 1, just slightly lost the formatting! Choose your parents carefully...
    Eight people?!

In fact, there has been escalating use of lying in state in America — with eight people doing so in Washington since 2018 — whilst this is only the second such British ceremony since Winston Churchill in 1965. It is today *mostly an American occurrence.*

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1571504089934053376?cxt=HHwWgIC-uZipjc8rAAAA
    Fishing said:

Is it not likely that every single factor here, plus all the others we can think of, correlate with other variables. So that in sum we are discussing 'sorts of persons' rather than 'lists of factors'?

• Expanding slightly on Foxy's piece, the variation in life expectancy between different social groups, and different areas, is quite astonishing. In East Sussex, for example, there is something like a ten-year difference across just a few miles between the rural, generally prosperous north, and the less prosperous strip along the coast around Hastings.

That takes us back to that John Burn-Murdoch piece that people have been discussing over the last few days. By the standards of the sort of countries we like to compare ourselves with, the UK is not a great place to be in the bottom third of the heap.

If one is what might be called a Christian Democrat / wet Conservative, that ought to give pause for uncomfortable thought.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,159

TimS said:

carnforth said:

What time are you on?

Around 6.15. Back to sleep afterwards.

• kle4 said:

Eight people?!

In fact, there has been escalating use of lying in state in America — with eight people doing so in Washington since 2018 — whilst this is only the second such British ceremony since Winston Churchill in 1965. It is today *mostly an American occurrence.*

I'd also add that the Americans are obsessed by queuing. They will do it for hours for anything from getting into a good barbeque place to casting a vote.

Long live the Hobbit King? On why Charles could be the right king for the new age.

The Hobbit King: Charles III is far more interested in the benefits of traditional English hedgerows than the great, global glory of Britain.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/09/king-charles-queen-elizabeth-funeral-death/671457/
    edited September 2022

A new account will be arriving shortly, Sean, sorry Leon's replacement.

The guiltiest poster when it comes to doxxing Leon, is Leon.
    I remember when one of [REDACTED] identities was banned, I joked that this would lead any new poster for the next three weeks to be suspected of being the next [REDACTED] sockpuppet. This led to a rather irritable reply from Mike, 'You can spot them a mile off.'

I suspect that Leon's successor, if he does not in fact decide to apologise for whatever caused the problem and continue his merrily entertaining discussions of custom made flint sex toys, will be similarly easy to notice...
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,717
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

My Mum's birthday tomorrow. We shall go for a family walk up Cat's Tor, Cheshire (a lovely walk for the reluctant hillwalker - you park quite near the top; there is much more along than up), then back to her house for tea. All the while trying to put middle daughter entirely at ease for her 11+ the next day. (I, er, may have mentioned this. It's been the focus of the Cookie family summer. 48 hours until it's all over. I may be a little emotional on Tuesday.)
    Enjoy your Mum's birthday, Mr C, and all the best to middle daughter.

Fishing said:

yes it really would be weird if being religious in itself added years to life (almost proving God in the sense of some divine intervention )
    There's a small negative correlation between religious belief and life expectancy at the country level.

But that's almost certainly a simple byproduct of poorer countries being more religious.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Not really practical.

1) How many non-UK citizens are there anyway? Do they really make up a significant proportion? Seems unlikely, so why bother with the effort.
    2) Commonwealth Realm citizens shared the Queen as Head of State, equal standing seems reasonable there.
    3) How would citizenship be checked, when we do not (thankfully) require people to carry identification papers whereever they go? "Are you a citizen?" "...Yes?"
    They weren't asking for proof of disability in order to use the assisted queue. But difficult to see how it would work anyway. Dis Person Railcards wouldn't cover all people for obvious reasons.
    ydoethur said:

I remember when one of [REDACTED] identities was banned, I joked that this would lead any new poster for the next three weeks to be suspected of being the next [REDACTED] sockpuppet. This led to a rather irritable reply from Mike, 'You can spot them a mile off.'

I suspect that Leon's successor, if he does not in fact decide to apologise for whatever caused the problem and continue his merrily entertaining discussions of custom made flint sex toys, will be similarly easy to notice...
    Oh dear, what happened?

kle4 said:

Eight people?!

I'd also add that the Americans are obsessed by queuing. They will do it for hours for anything from getting into a good barbeque place to casting a vote.

Especially in poor areas of the South.

Expanding slightly on Foxy's piece, the variation in life expectancy between different social groups, and different areas, is quite astonishing. In East Sussex, for example, there is something like a ten-year difference across just a few miles between the rural, generally prosperous north, and the less prosperous strip along the coast around Hastings.

That takes us back to that John Burn-Murdoch piece that people have been discussing over the last few days. By the standards of the sort of countries we like to compare ourselves with, the UK is not a great place to be in the bottom third of the heap.

If one is what might be called a Christian Democrat / wet Conservative, that ought to give pause for uncomfortable thought.
    Give it a few months of winter and we'll see.
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

There's a small negative correlation between religious belief and life expectancy at the country level.

But that's almost certainly a simple byproduct of poorer countries being more religious.
    Even if you took the religious and compared to the non religious in poorer nations I expect the religious would come on top, with the exception of Islamic jihadis for obvious reasons
    edited September 2022
    Fishing said:

Although, interestingly, former Prime Ministers and Presidents tend to live a long time, despite often pretty unhealthy lifestyles:

Churchill - 90
    Eden - 80
    Macmillan - 92
    Douglas-Home - 92
    Ted Heath - 89
    Wilson - 79
    Callaghan - 93
    Thatcher - 87
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Also jumped the queue...

Joe Biden in Westminster Hall https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1571529824044294151/photo/1
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

I have for months been pondering the next new identity. Quite often we have seen an ancient Mercia related link. If it were me , I would go for Leofric, or has that been used before?
This discussion has been closed.