Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If young voters actually voted then be afraid – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Social Democrats look like they’re about to burst out crying.

Liberals partying.

isn't there some rule about needing over 5% to get proportional seats? (I might be wrong) the liberals as just under that now, perhaps they know of more support coming and its just relief that they are over that threshold.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Looks like Russia has executed a fairly comprehensive cruise missiling of the majority of Ukriane's major non nuclear power stations.

That is less than optimal for Ukraine.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,692
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Excuse my intrusion, but is it not a little in poor taste to be debating republic versus monarchy at the moment? The lady has not even had her funeral yet. Show a little judgement and delicacy. There is *plenty* of time for vigorous (and good-natured) debate in the years ahead.

No, it's as good a time as any to debate it. HMQ is Sleeping the Big Sleep and doesn't give a toss one way or the other, and her son is a self regarding adulterous creep who deserves no quarter, after marrying with the full intention of carrying on with the Tampon Holder Consort during the actual engagement to poor old Di. What a monumental fucking arsewipe, and the THC doesn't look great either.
    This is why you won´t get much of a hearing. You are not even prepared to observe a few common decencies. No one is perfect, and for every one of the supposedly unforgivable "crimes" you name, there are a thousand other examples of civic duty and public service that show a totally different view. So spew childish hate, by all means, but it will be greeted with "haters gonna hate" and a shrug. Your views are angry and perhaps a bit childish, but ultimately meaningless.
    Wrong, I'm afraid. Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special, and not actually compensated by any amount of quote civic duty unquote. But you carry on with the invitation to your insect overlords to give it to as hard as they like, so typical of the non upper class English Tory.
    "Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special"

Is it particularly special?

I think adultery is a really shitty thing to do, but I can't say I agree with the rather severe view that no amount of duty could every theoretically make up for being a shitty husband or wife.

Plenty of people we consider genuinely great might (and in some cases definitely were) complete shits in their personal lives.
    I think a majority of Conservative PMs since Maggie have been adulterous, should you consider any of them great.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Excuse my intrusion, but is it not a little in poor taste to be debating republic versus monarchy at the moment? The lady has not even had her funeral yet. Show a little judgement and delicacy. There is *plenty* of time for vigorous (and good-natured) debate in the years ahead.

No, it's as good a time as any to debate it. HMQ is Sleeping the Big Sleep and doesn't give a toss one way or the other, and her son is a self regarding adulterous creep who deserves no quarter, after marrying with the full intention of carrying on with the Tampon Holder Consort during the actual engagement to poor old Di. What a monumental fucking arsewipe, and the THC doesn't look great either.
    This is why you won´t get much of a hearing. You are not even prepared to observe a few common decencies. No one is perfect, and for every one of the supposedly unforgivable "crimes" you name, there are a thousand other examples of civic duty and public service that show a totally different view. So spew childish hate, by all means, but it will be greeted with "haters gonna hate" and a shrug. Your views are angry and perhaps a bit childish, but ultimately meaningless.
    Wrong, I'm afraid. Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special, and not actually compensated by any amount of quote civic duty unquote. But you carry on with the invitation to your insect overlords to give it to as hard as they like, so typical of the non upper class English Tory.
    "Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special"

I think adultery is a really shitty thing to do, but I can't say I agree with the rather severe view that no amount of duty could every theoretically make up for being a shitty husband or wife.

Plenty of people we consider genuinely great might (and in some cases definitely were) complete shits in their personal lives.
    Not the point. At all. Straying into adultery in the course of a marriage is one thing, entering a marriage with the preconceived intention of being adulterous is another.
    When was the last time the UK had adulterers in both offices of Monarch and Prime Minister?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stuart is right. You could wait just a few days before re-starting your campaign.
    Where's the fun in that?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    BigRich said:

Liberals partying.

isn't there some rule about needing over 5% to get proportional seats? (I might be wrong) the liberals as just under that now, perhaps they know of more support coming and its just relief that they are over that threshold.
    4%.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,211
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not the point. At all. Straying into adultery in the course of a marriage is one thing, entering a marriage with the preconceived intention of being adulterous is another.
    It’s not a defence really, perhaps partial mitigation, but he was not allowed to marry the love of his life, who I note he is still with into his seventies. I would not have done what he did, but he was put in an awful situation.
  • Options
    Daily Mail reporting Eton played Rossall at football yesterday.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    "Liz Truss will not accompany King Charles on UK tour, says No 10":

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/11/liz-truss-not-accompanying-king-charles-on-uk-tour-says-no-10

She will only "attend services". She never intended to "do walkabouts".

Chortle.

Meanwhile, the idea (perish the thought) that he was going to play a more active or involved role in governing the country than his mother did has also been reversed. He's going to be Scandinavian now, apparently. Or at least that's what Gordon Brown wants. It won't come to pass because he won't be able to resist kinging it and bossing everyone about, having tantrums, being mediaeval with family members he doesn't like, insisting king and country are one, etc., until one day - and that day could be soon - the whole nasty business will exist no more.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    dixiedean said:

BigRich said:

Liberals partying.

4%.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Oh come, come

Have you not seen Succession.

Charles is just like Shiv.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

So it's extra shitty. Seems like a difference of degree, not kind.
  • Options
    WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

When was the last time the UK had adulterers in both offices of Monarch and Prime Minister?
    De rigeur before Victoria. And later than that for politicians.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Liberals partying.

It's 4%.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stuart is right. You could wait just a few days before re-starting your campaign.
    No need to wait, we're not snowflakes. Someone misjudging the mood and moment faces its own consequence.
  • Options
    Third city, Malmö: Social Democrats up, Moderates down. However, the Social Democrats seem to have lost votes to a new local Muslim party.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Still, that's a good 190 years isn't it?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    BigRich said:

Liberals partying.

4%. The Liberals are safe.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Anyways. I start new job tomorrow. SEN and mental health in a Primary School. Wish me luck!

All the best, and I hope it goes well.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    edited September 2022
    AlistairM said:

Very interesting thread which links in British efforts in WW2 to knock out German electricity infrastructure that I was not aware of previously. The Russians are plainly now just targeting civilian infrastructure.

Russia is not going to like Ukraine playing by Russia's rules on civilian power grids.

Russia's power grid is wide open to Ukrainian Alibaba drone/DYI cruise missile strikes.

Now Ukraine has every incentive to go there.🧵
    1/

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1569048164593713152

The bit that thread misses about Operation Outward was that most of it was spare stocks of 100,000 weather balloons trailing 700ft cables, many with incendiary devices. Sent from Felixtowe.

Mark Felton, the historian of WW2 obscure, did a video about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioshB6dhe-0
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think a majority of Conservative PMs since Maggie have been adulterous, should you consider any of them great.
    I do not.

BigRich said:

Liberals partying.

It's 4%.
    Interesting choice of threshold. Not that 5% is any more logical I suppose, anymore than 4 years being more 'normal' for an elected term of office.
  • Options
    Unusually, not one single party leader has said a word yet. Result far too close.
  • Options
    WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Oh come, come

Have you not seen Succession.

Charles is just like Shiv.
    Andrew as Roman?
  • Options
    So if the right bloc win, the post-fascist guy becomes PM?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

And after Victoria. Certainly it seems to have been very normal for Royal males to have a mistress or mistresses. Not sure about the Queen's father, as he seemed particularly devoted to the Queen Mum.

Let's not forget that Charles would have married Camilla if he'd been allowed. It was the late Queen and Prince Phillip's whizz bang idea to dazzle Charles with a young (and much more suitable) Diana, and in a strange way it's almost to his credit that he remained besotted with Camilla.
  • Options

Unusually, not one single party leader has said a word yet. Result far too close.

Is there any chance of a sensible centrist government? Socialists, Moderates, Liberals, Centre?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Helpful. So more than a century. Britain going to the dogs... and over Camilla and Mark Field!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Not sure re: Herbert Asquith. But Henry Campbell-Bannerman? Don't think so.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    dixiedean said:

Anyways. I start new job tomorrow. SEN and mental health in a Primary School. Wish me luck!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

"Liz Truss will not accompany King Charles on UK tour, says No 10":

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/11/liz-truss-not-accompanying-king-charles-on-uk-tour-says-no-10

She will only "attend services". She never intended to "do walkabouts".

Chortle.

Meanwhile, the idea (perish the thought) that he was going to play a more active or involved role in governing the country than his mother did has also been reversed. He's going to be Scandinavian now, apparently. Or at least that's what Gordon Brown wants. It won't come to pass because he won't be able to resist kinging it and bossing everyone about, having tantrums, being mediaeval with family members he doesn't like, insisting king and country are one, etc., until one day - and that day could be soon - the whole nasty business will exist no more.

And why do you think that? Charles is not completely stupid, he knows what country and system he is king of. His mother, grandfather and great grandfather helped build the monarchy that we have today, and for some reason he is going to, rather than follow their example, seek to act like a medieval monarch? The crown have not been bossing things for hundreds of years, and he'd overturn that because?

Charles could well make a misstep which would undermine the balance of our constitutional monarchy. But to be an inevitability as you suggest he would need to have the intellect and judgement of a particularly silly tomato.

And the idea he would play a more active role has not been reversed - it was, for some, a fear he would seek to do that, never an expectation. The expectation was he would be a modern monarch, that is not actively involved. It was a question of whether he could keep schtum about his pet hobbies is all.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

It’s not a defence really, perhaps partial mitigation, but he was not allowed to marry the love of his life, who I note he is still with into his seventies. I would not have done what he did, but he was put in an awful situation.
    You ought to meet some people who have been in genuinely awful situations.

When he was single he could have married any single woman he wanted, assuming she wanted to marry him. Easy-peasy: if mumsy objected, tell her to do one. If she still objected, go and spend 0.0001% of his wealth on marrying her abroad. If the Foreign Office refused to apostillise his birth certificate, take them to court.

Utilising some young woman who was found from somewhere and whom mumsy and pater thought was so eligible, letting love-of-his-life go and marry someone else, but continuing to screw her, never mind that said young woman who'd borne him two children was going crackers under the pressure, and could easily have topped herself - those aren't the actions of a reasonable person put in difficult circumstances. They're the actions of a weak immature creep who uses other people like objects and can't take responsibility for his own actions, always preferring to blame someone else, ostensibly because he was "born into" this, that, or the other - a complete lie because he can stick two fingers up at the whole show whenever he wants and he chooses not to. It's not other people who choose for him. He chooses. He may not seem like one, but he's a grownup man.
  • Options

I think it's probable the SD's would give confidence and supply to a government made up of Moderates, KD's and Liberals.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

All the best, and I hope it goes well.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    The Japanese Emperor has confirmed he will be attending the funeral.
  • Options
    Latest projection:

Team Kristersson: 49.7%
    Team Andersson: 48.8%
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Liberals partying.

The threshold in Sweden is 4%, not 5%.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

I don't think Charles putting his affair partner on the throne makes his adultery any better.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

When he was single he could have married any single woman he wanted, assuming she wanted to marry him. Easy-peasy: if mumsy objected, tell her to do one. If she still objected, go and spend 0.0001% of his wealth on marrying her abroad. If the Foreign Office refused to apostillise his birth certificate, take them to court.

Utilising some young woman who was found from somewhere and whom mumsy and pater thought was so eligible, letting love-of-his-life go and marry someone else, but continuing to screw her, never mind that said young woman who'd borne him two children was going crackers under the pressure, and could easily have topped herself - those aren't the actions of a reasonable person put in difficult circumstances. They're the actions of a weak immature creep who uses other people like objects and can't take responsibility for his own actions, always preferring to blame someone else, ostensibly because he was "born into" this, that, or the other - a complete lie because he can stick two fingers up at the whole show whenever he wants and he chooses not to. It's not other people who choose for him. He chooses. He may not seem like one, but he's a grownup man.
    Your first paragraph is preposterous.

I’m not defending him and would not have done what he did, but it wasn’t ‘simple’.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

What did I just read?
  • Options
    WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

I don't think Charles putting his affair partner on the throne makes his adultery any better.
    But it does demonstrate that she was the love of his life.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.
    He certainly had (to paraphrase Jimmy Carter) "lust in his heart". As per his letters to Venetia Stanley.

BUT not sure re: evidence that he went beyond rhetoric, or mere slap-and-tickle?
  • Options
    There are arguments against adulterers taking part in public life (betray your spouse, and who else will you betray). But, that ship has long sailed.
  • Options

Latest projection:

Team Kristersson: 49.7%
    Team Andersson: 48.8%

So. Kristersson has an electoral disaster, but ends up PM?
    I'm sympathetic to PR, but this kind of stuff gives me pause for sure.
  • Options
    Swedish election blog -

23:15 Still too close to call

A reminder: any result we get tonight is preliminary only. Votes from Swedish citizens abroad and early voting ballots that didn’t make it to the polling stations in time for Election Day get counted on Wednesday and it takes a week to complete the final count. In the last election, three seats changed between Election Day and the final count, and this one looks set to go down to the wire. So the parties on both sides will be wise not to celebrate too much.

The right bloc is currently in the lead by one seat with about 1,500 districts left to declare.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.
    He certainly had (to paraphrase Jimmy Carter) "lust in his heart". As per his letters to Venetia Stanley.

BUT not sure re: evidence that he went beyond rhetoric, or mere slap-and-tickle?
    Sepia dick pics.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

A true pass the sick bag moment
  • Options

Swedish election blog -

23:15 Still too close to call

A reminder: any result we get tonight is preliminary only. Votes from Swedish citizens abroad and early voting ballots that didn’t make it to the polling stations in time for Election Day get counted on Wednesday and it takes a week to complete the final count. In the last election, three seats changed between Election Day and the final count, and this one looks set to go down to the wire. So the parties on both sides will be wise not to celebrate too much.

The right bloc is currently in the lead by one seat with about 1,500 districts left to declare.

Do we know what kind of districts they are? Urban/rural. Rich/poor. Native/immigrant?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.
    Even someone like Boris is actually quite restrained, compared to the likes of Lloyd George, Lord Roseberry, Lord Melbourne, Lord Palmerston.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

There are arguments against adulterers taking part in public life (betray your spouse, and who else will you betray). But, that ship has long sailed.

I think public figures still rightly suffer a polling penalty from their cheating. At least Truss has apologized for hers, which I don't believe Charles has ever done.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Is there any chance of a sensible centrist government? Socialists, Moderates, Liberals, Centre?
    Yes. But extremely slim.

For example, the Liberals have changed sides once too often already. If they do it yet again they’ll get murdered at the ballot box next time.

I’m sure an awful lot of Moderates prefer the Social Democrats to the Sweden Democrats, but they’ve made their bed, so they’ll just have to sleep in it now. Sleeping with a big, restless bear is unlikely to be a pleasant experience.
  • Options
    How Women voted:

S 33% up
    M 17% down
    SD 16% up
    C 9% down
    V 8% down
    MP 7%
    KD 5%
    L4%
  • Options
    edited September 2022

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

There must be some reason why she stands there wearing a shit-eating grin when he disgraces himself in public, reprising Mike Pence for all she's worth.

She's being called "queen consort" too. I'm predicting she'll never just be called "queen". I reckon that in 1935 the notice announcing the death of the king said the (new) king and queen would do such-and such, not that the king and queen consort would. But I'm sure monarchist loons will say ah but you are such an idiot, Dynamo, because the outgoing monarch in 2022 was a queen regnant, yawn yawn. It's as if they forget nursery rhymes - the king does this, the queen does that - or what pass for "history" lessons in English schools - queen Anne Boleyn, etc. The king's wife is the queen FFS.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.
    She sent him a masturbation clip at 5x normal speed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    WillG said:

Sean_F said:

I think public figures still rightly suffer a polling penalty from their cheating. At least Truss has apologized for hers, which I don't believe Charles has ever done.
    According to rumour Truss has then carried on as before with a senior member of her government, though stress rumour not confirmed fact.

Charles was also told to marry Diana essentially, left to his own devices he would likely have married Camilla in the first place
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited September 2022
    How Men voted:

SD 25%
    S 25%
    M 21%
    C 7%
    V 6%
    KD 5%
    L 5%
    MP 5%
  • Options
    WillG said:

Sean_F said:

The stories I've heard about the private life of our Prime Minister are .... mind-boggling.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Yes. But extremely slim.

For example, the Liberals have changed sides once too often already. If they do it yet again they’ll get murdered at the ballot box next time.

I’m sure an awful lot of Moderates prefer the Social Democrats to the Sweden Democrats, but they’ve made their bed, so they’ll just have to sleep in it now. Sleeping with a big, restless bear is unlikely to be a pleasant experience.
    Thanks. Really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it.
  • Options
    How 18-30 year olds voted:
    M 24%

Sorry, missed the rest
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Although it would be diplomatically irregular, but the UK could score quite a coup by inviting both Trump and Obama as well as Biden, as given their recent statements they probably would all attend. Their presence together at the same event would then become something of a global event in itself, boosting Britain's prestige.

Not something that's very likely I know, but interesting to think about.
  • Options

How Men voted:

SD 25%
    S 25%
    M 21%
    C 7%
    V 6%
    KD 5%
    L 5%
    MP 5%

Is that men?

And, thanks for your information.
  • Options
    First party leader to appear in public:

Johan Pehrson, Liberals:

“We’ve done it!”
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    edited September 2022

Although it would be diplomatically irregular, the UK could score quite a coup by inviting both Trump and Obama as well as Biden, as given their recent statements they probably all would intend. Their presence together at the same event would then become something of a global event in itself, boosting Britain's prestige.

It't not likely I know, but interesting to think about.

Would also need GW and Carter and Clinton?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Charles was also told to marry Diana essentially, left to his own devices he would likely have married Camilla in the first place
    Told by who?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.
    Even someone like Boris is actually quite restrained, compared to the likes of Lloyd George, Lord Roseberry, Lord Melbourne, Lord Palmerston.
    Earl Grey was a player too. 4 years as PM, abolishing slavery and the Great Reform Act. And 15 children. And the Duchess of Devonshire and others.
    No wonder he needed a "special restorative brew."
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    rcs1000 said:

Donald Trump is claiming he was knighted in private.

This is actually true:

Trump and I were secretly taken to the Palace, where HM knighted us. Afterwards, we had an evening at Annabel's, where we celebrated our new knightly roles.
    Congratulations Sir.

I bet that was an expensive night. Trump looks like a first out of the taxi, last to the bar kind of a guy.
  • Options

Although it would be diplomatically irregular, the UK could score quite a coup by inviting both Trump and Obama as well as Biden, as given their recent statements they probably all would intend. Their presence together at the same event would then become something of a global event in itself, boosting Britain's prestige.

I expect they’ll all be invited.

It’s gonna be one helluva show. I might even watch it.

• Options
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

Outrageous effrontery!
    By whom.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Anyways. I start a new job tomorrow. SEN and mental health in a Primary School. Wish me luck!

Go for it man, you can make a real difference
  • Options

Although it would be diplomatically irregular, but the UK could score quite a coup by inviting both Trump and Obama as well as Biden, as given their recent statements they probably would all attend. Their presence together at the same event would then become something of a global event in itself, boosting Britain's prestige.

Apparently it is up to Biden who he invites in the US entourage, and there is some speculation he might invite all the former presidents, each of whom offered very generous tributes to the late Queen.

Personally I doubt it, because other countries might feel obliged to follow suit.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022

A couple of those might come too. I think the Queen might have liked having five US Presidents at her funeral, but no doubt this has all already been worked out , along more conventional lines.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Anyways. I start a new job tomorrow. SEN and mental health in a Primary School. Wish me luck!

Go for it man, you can make a real difference
    Cheers. I'll try...
  • Options
    ping said:

It will likely be the biggest global gathering of Heads of State at a funeral since JFK's in 1963
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

Outrageous effrontery!
    By whom.
    Yes Sir!

Good luck with the new job. I’m sure you’re an awesome teacher, if a little pedantic at times!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747

Liberals partying.

Right now leads by 175-174. So is this seats based on what's counted atm, or projected seats based on what's counted?

So looks like it will come down to the overseas vote?
    I wouldn't be surprised if the overseas vote rescues the Social Democrats at the 11th hour.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Quite agree. Some folk can't comment on the crowds (or otherwise) in Scotland without drawing wider conclusions about political support for the monarchy, or attacking the SNP ("Nits") when it was some republican grouping that was involved.
    Yes, I spotted that. Very ill-judged.

My criticism was directed at both sides.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The ship never existed.

I'm sure we'd like our leaders to have good personal morals, but very few if any would be faultless and many would be pretty awful. Yet still good at their actual jobs. It's always been excused.

It's not endorsement of them acting shittily to consider, especially with the long passage of time, that these things will be secondary.

Charles and Diana clearly made each other very unhappy, and he definitely behaved badly. Were it not for her tragic end I'd hope she would have found the happiness that Charles clearly has with Camilla.
  • Options
    ping said:

Hard to imagine any POTUS who gets invited to Liz's Last Hurrah NOT showing up. With possible exception of Jimmy Carter, for health reasons (his or Rosalynn's).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747

No, it's still going to be the leader of the Moderate Party. Same thing happened in Denmark a few years ago.
  • Options
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
  • Options
    This is a wow:

Anna Lapwood
    @annalapwood
    This was so moving. Spontaneously stopped off at the London Bridge station organ to play a couple of pieces for the Queen. This lovely security guard, Marcella, asked if I could play Lascia ch'io pianga. Turns out she trained as a singer! ❤️😭

https://twitter.com/annalapwood/status/1568998632074145792
  • Options

A couple of those might come too. I think the Queen might have liked having five US Presidents at her funeral, but no doubt this has all already already been worked out, along more conventional lines.
    Fascinating to see who does not make the cut. All those tiny commonwealth states will need a representative, and that might mean someone else misses out.
  • Options

A couple of those might come too. I think the Queen might have liked having five US Presidents at her funeral, but no doubt this has all already already been worked out, along more conventional lines.
    Every living commonwealth realm PM would fill out the seats pretty quick.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
    Not a proud moment for the institution.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Liberals partying.

Right now leads by 175-174. So is this seats based on what's counted atm, or projected seats based on what's counted?

So looks like it will come down to the overseas vote?
    I wouldn't be surprised if the overseas vote rescues the Social Democrats at the 11th hour.
    Dunno. I’d imagine overseas Swedes tend to be wealthier than average. And maybe tend towards the flag-shagging end of the spectrum?

My stereotypical image of an overseas Swede is a Moderate voter. I might be wrong. I’m sure the boffins have done research on that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fascinating to see who does not make the cut. All those tiny commonwealth states will need a representative, and that might mean someone else misses out.
    There are 196 countries in the world, of which 56 are Commonwealth countries, of which 15 are realms.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

Outrageous effrontery!
    By whom.
    "Why does the word who exist if you're never allowed to say it?"
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.
    Earl Grey was a player too. 4 years as PM, abolishing slavery and the Great Reform Act. And 15 children. And the Duchess of Devonshire and others.
    No wonder he needed a "special restorative brew."
    Roseberry liked to flagellate young men, Melbourne liked to flagellate young maidservants.

Sir Edward Backhouse wrote of Roseberry "when a young man is privileged to have intercourse with a Prime Minister , it is for the latter to choose the modus operandi. In my case, passivity was invariably the order of the day.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    AlistairM said:

Interesting update on the war situation in Ukraine. Russia seems to be in all sorts of trouble in the North as the forces they have left there haven't got any equipment as they didn't take it with them when retreating.

A little map of the situation in Northern Luhansk after the rout of the russian invaders from Kharkiv Oblast.

Black 1 = the Oskil River frontline russia tries to establish.
    Red 2s = the russian units retreating - those fleeing from Northern Kharkiv are on exterior lines and
    1/n

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1569056211676299269

One small point I have seen made in a couple of places is that the Oskil River is not very deep at this time of year. Like ... often wadeable.
  • Options

kle4 said:

There are 196 countries in the world, of which 56 are Commonwealth countries, of which 15 are realms.

Yes, but there's going to be loads of UK people present, civic people, religious types, seats will become squeezed fast.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615
    edited September 2022

Apparently it is up to Biden who he invites in the US entourage, and there is some speculation he might invite all the former presidents, each of whom offered very generous tributes to the late Queen.

Personally I doubt it, because other countries might feel obliged to follow suit.
    Reckon that, if it really is Biden's call then Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama AND Trump will be part of US delegation AND fly over together in Air Force One.

Always possible that Trump might refuse on those terms, and thus get zero invite.

But I doubt it.

EDIT - And Carter might not make it, due to health.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,060
    Contingency planners now they say it could be closer to the million mourners who filed past Pope John Paul II when he lay in state in Rome in 2005.

Medics at nearby Guy’s and St Thomas’s hospitals are on standby in case those in the queue fall ill.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19776786/queues-the-queen-lying-in-state-12-hours-three-miles/
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,774
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
    I suspect I'm being really dumb asking this, but what exactly was the problem with Camilla?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
    Yes it was brutal for Charles but the Queen was probably right for the institution.

Could you imagine if the Prince of Wales was now the son of Charles and Camilla not William? Diana brought the glamour and empathy the 21st century monarchy needed
  • Options
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
    I suspect I'm being really dumb asking this, but what exactly was the problem with Camilla?
    She was too "fast" for the Palace. Whereas Diana was a virgin.

Absurd but true.
  • Options
    Second party leader to speak: Annie Lööf, Centre Party:

”We are not pleased…”

Very subdued.
  • Options
    With 5547 out of 6578 electoral districts counted, the actual result so far (GE2018 in brackets):

Left 6.7% (8.0%)
    Social Democrats 30.5% (28.3%)
    Greens 5.0% (4.4%)
    Centre 6.7% (8.6%)
    Liberals 4.6% (5.5%)
    Moderates 19.0% (19.8%)
    Christian Democrats 5.4% (6.3%)
    Sweden Democrats 20.7% (17.5%)
    oth 1.5% (1.6%)

Turnout: ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, but there's going to be loads of UK people present, civic people, religious types, seats will become squeezed fast.
    Yes. There is seated capacity for 2,200 only.
    I would reserve something like 800 for various foreigners and 1400 for UKers.
This discussion has been closed.