Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If young voters actually voted then be afraid – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Excuse my intrusion, but is it not a little in poor taste to be debating republic versus monarchy at the moment? The lady has not even had her funeral yet. Show a little judgement and delicacy. There is *plenty* of time for vigorous (and good-natured) debate in the years ahead.

No, it's as good a time as any to debate it. HMQ is Sleeping the Big Sleep and doesn't give a toss one way or the other, and her son is a self regarding adulterous creep who deserves no quarter, after marrying with the full intention of carrying on with the Tampon Holder Consort during the actual engagement to poor old Di. What a monumental fucking arsewipe, and the THC doesn't look great either.
    This is why you won´t get much of a hearing. You are not even prepared to observe a few common decencies. No one is perfect, and for every one of the supposedly unforgivable "crimes" you name, there are a thousand other examples of civic duty and public service that show a totally different view. So spew childish hate, by all means, but it will be greeted with "haters gonna hate" and a shrug. Your views are angry and perhaps a bit childish, but ultimately meaningless.
    Wrong, I'm afraid. Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special, and not actually compensated by any amount of quote civic duty unquote. But you carry on with the invitation to your insect overlords to give it to as hard as they like, so typical of the non upper class English Tory.
    "Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special"

Is it particularly special?

I think adultery is a really shitty thing to do, but I can't say I agree with the rather severe view that no amount of duty could every theoretically make up for being a shitty husband or wife.

Plenty of people we consider genuinely great might (and in some cases definitely were) complete shits in their personal lives.
    Not the point. At all. Straying into adultery in the course of a marriage is one thing, entering a marriage with the preconceived intention of being adulterous is another.
    When was the last time the UK had adulterers in both offices of Monarch and Prime Minister?
    1906 to 1910.
    Not sure re: Herbert Asquith. But Henry Campbell-Bannerman? Don't think so.
    Asquith was a horndog.
    He certainly had (to paraphrase Jimmy Carter) "lust in his heart". As per his letters to Venetia Stanley.

BUT not sure re: evidence that he went beyond rhetoric, or mere slap-and-tickle?
    Sepia dick pics.
    Even someone like Boris is actually quite restrained, compared to the likes of Lloyd George, Lord Roseberry, Lord Melbourne, Lord Palmerston.
    Earl Grey was a player too. 4 years as PM, abolishing slavery and the Great Reform Act. And 15 children. And the Duchess of Devonshire and others.
    No wonder he needed a "special restorative brew."
    Roseberry liked to flagellate young men, Melbourne liked to flagellate young maidservants.

Sir Edward Backhouse wrote of Roseberry "when a young man is privileged to have intercourse with a Prime Minister , it is for the latter to choose the modus operandi. In my case, passivity was invariably the order of the day.
    Edmund, and you are surely aware that every word he wrote was pure fantasy?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    edited September 2022
    Anyways. See you later. Thanks for the good wishes. Got myself a 15 minutes (walk) commute.
    Won't be sitting around finding folk jobs from home anymore.
    Are you an alcoholic, drug addict, paedophile or otherwise violent offender?
    No?
    Have you tried ASDA?
    Dull. Something more interesting at least.
  • Options

Although it would be diplomatically irregular, but the UK could score quite a coup by inviting both Trump and Obama as well as Biden, as given their recent statements they probably would all attend. Their presence together at the same event would then become something of a global event in itself, boosting Britain's prestige.

Not something that's very likely I know, but interesting to think about.

Apparently it is up to Biden who he invites in the US entourage, and there is some speculation he might invite all the former presidents, each of whom offered very generous tributes to the late Queen.

Personally I doubt it, because other countries might feel obliged to follow suit.
    Reckon that, if it really is Biden's call then Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama AND Trump will be part of US delegation AND fly over together in Air Force One.

Always possible that Trump might refuse on those terms, and thus get zero invite.

But I doubt it.

EDIT - And Carter might not make it, due to health.
    Biden and Trump together in the same few hundred metre tube of aluminium at 30K feet for five hours will be something to watch.

• Options
    Anni Lööf, Centre leader, wants an S+M grand coalition.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

There are arguments against adulterers taking part in public life (betray your spouse, and who else will you betray). But, that ship has long sailed.

I think public figures still rightly suffer a polling penalty from their cheating. At least Truss has apologized for hers, which I don't believe Charles has ever done.

Charles was also told to marry Diana essentially, left to his own devices he would likely have married Camilla in the first place
    Told by who?

Outrageous effrontery!
    By whom.
    "Why does the word who exist if you're never allowed to say it?"
    Who says we're not allowed to say the word "who"?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited September 2022

With 5547 out of 6578 electoral districts counted, the actual result so far (GE2018 in brackets):

Left 6.7% (8.0%)
    Social Democrats 30.5% (28.3%)
    Greens 5.0% (4.4%)
    Centre 6.7% (8.6%)
    Liberals 4.6% (5.5%)
    Moderates 19.0% (19.8%)
    Christian Democrats 5.4% (6.3%)
    Sweden Democrats 20.7% (17.5%)
    oth 1.5% (1.6%)

Turnout: ?

Looks like the Centre and Left have let the Social Democrats down.

Moderates now little changed from 2018 and with Liberal, Christian Democrat and Sweden Democrat support it could form a government. That would be the first right of centre win in an election in a Western nation since Boris' outside Japan
  • Options
    Team Kristersson : 175 MPs
    Team Andersson: 174 MPs

(only a projection)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Excuse my intrusion, but is it not a little in poor taste to be debating republic versus monarchy at the moment? The lady has not even had her funeral yet. Show a little judgement and delicacy. There is *plenty* of time for vigorous (and good-natured) debate in the years ahead.

No, it's as good a time as any to debate it. HMQ is Sleeping the Big Sleep and doesn't give a toss one way or the other, and her son is a self regarding adulterous creep who deserves no quarter, after marrying with the full intention of carrying on with the Tampon Holder Consort during the actual engagement to poor old Di. What a monumental fucking arsewipe, and the THC doesn't look great either.
    This is why you won´t get much of a hearing. You are not even prepared to observe a few common decencies. No one is perfect, and for every one of the supposedly unforgivable "crimes" you name, there are a thousand other examples of civic duty and public service that show a totally different view. So spew childish hate, by all means, but it will be greeted with "haters gonna hate" and a shrug. Your views are angry and perhaps a bit childish, but ultimately meaningless.
    Wrong, I'm afraid. Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special, and not actually compensated by any amount of quote civic duty unquote. But you carry on with the invitation to your insect overlords to give it to as hard as they like, so typical of the non upper class English Tory.
    "Marrying a halfwitted 19 year old while intending to shag your existing girlfriend before during and after, is really special"

I think adultery is a really shitty thing to do, but I can't say I agree with the rather severe view that no amount of duty could every theoretically make up for being a shitty husband or wife.

Plenty of people we consider genuinely great might (and in some cases definitely were) complete shits in their personal lives.
    Not the point. At all. Straying into adultery in the course of a marriage is one thing, entering a marriage with the preconceived intention of being adulterous is another.
    When was the last time the UK had adulterers in both offices of Monarch and Prime Minister?
    1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.
    He certainly had (to paraphrase Jimmy Carter) "lust in his heart". As per his letters to Venetia Stanley.

BUT not sure re: evidence that he went beyond rhetoric, or mere slap-and-tickle?
    Sepia dick pics.
    Even someone like Boris is actually quite restrained, compared to the likes of Lloyd George, Lord Roseberry, Lord Melbourne, Lord Palmerston.
    Earl Grey was a player too. 4 years as PM, abolishing slavery and the Great Reform Act. And 15 children. And the Duchess of Devonshire and others.
    Roseberry liked to flagellate young men, Melbourne liked to flagellate young maidservants.

Sir Edward Backhouse wrote of Roseberry "when a young man is privileged to have intercourse with a Prime Minister , it is for the latter to choose the modus operandi. In my case, passivity was invariably the order of the day.
    Edmund, and you are surely aware that every word he wrote was pure fantasy?
    Matthew Parris believes that his account of the affair was true.

He certainly liked to embellish and exaggerate.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.

Of course Sir Edward Backhouse was a continental liar on at least two continents.

But may well have been telling something approaching the truth in this instance.

Considerable speculation re: Lord Rosebery, prosecution of Oscar Wilde and death of Lord Drumlanrig, heir to Marquis of Queensberry.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

There are arguments against adulterers taking part in public life (betray your spouse, and who else will you betray). But, that ship has long sailed.

I think public figures still rightly suffer a polling penalty from their cheating. At least Truss has apologized for hers, which I don't believe Charles has ever done.

Charles was also told to marry Diana essentially, left to his own devices he would likely have married Camilla in the first place
    Told by who?

The Queen
    Not a proud moment for the institution.
    I suspect I'm being really dumb asking this, but what exactly was the problem with Camilla?
    She was too "fast" for the Palace. Whereas Diana was a virgin.

Absurd but true.
    Also, Camilla had married someone else!
  • Options
    Now for the two Green Party leaders (joint leaders):

“We are not going to know the result for several days.”
  • Options

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
    I suspect I'm being really dumb asking this, but what exactly was the problem with Camilla?

Absurd but true.
    Yes, but believe that was AFTER the Windsor No-Brains Trust gave her the Royal Flush.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.

Of course Sir Edward Backhouse was a continental liar on at least two continents.

But may well have been telling something approaching the truth in this instance.

Considerable speculation re: Lord Rosebery, prosecution of Oscar Wilde and death of Lord Drumlanrig, heir to Marquis of Queensberry.
    I'm not convinced that he truly participated in gay orgies, while the Empress of China looked on and masturbated.
  • Options
    In theory, an invitation could be extended to the PM of NZ, the GG, the Head of the Armed Forces, the Chief Justice, and potentially the Archbishop of NZ.

There are five former PMs still alive.
    Also five former GGs.

That’s fifteen, just for NZ!

But I don’t expect that at all.
    Perhaps even, just the PM and GG.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,084

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen

Absurd but true.
    Yes, but believe that was AFTER the Windsor No-Brains Trust gave her the Royal Flush.
    She was already two timing Charles with her future husband. Which seems a rather good reason to veto her.
  • Options
    Now Ebba Busch (KD) makes her speech:

“Right now Sweden is heading for a change of government!”
    to huge cheers.

“Maybe, maybe.”
    to silence.

Nobody knows what to think.
  • Options

S+M coalition you say?
    Truss’s eyebrows raise…
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Looks like Russia has executed a fairly comprehensive cruise missiling of the majority of Ukriane's major non nuclear power stations.

That is less than optimal for Ukraine.

I know it’s not something they care about but isn’t deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure against the rules?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.

EDMUND

Educated Winchester and Merton btw, covering both bases in the recent PM face off

I read Hermit of Peking about 30 years ago, when H T-R thought B's own work was too feelthy ever to be published, now note that Manchu Decadence is to be had for a fiver on kindle, huzzah.
  • Options
    WillG said:

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen

Absurd but true.
    She was already two timing Charles with her future husband. Which seems a rather good reason to veto her.
    Not sure I accept your characterization above. In fact, sure I do NOT accept it.

Anyway, fail to see relevance to future of the Crown, or the UK. OR the price of tea in China for that matter.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504
    Interesting to see how different countries’ election results drift away from the exit poll in different directions as different types of local area report votes. Sweden seems to be drifting rightwards as the evening goes on. The US drifts leftwards. UK rightwards.
  • Options
    Am getting sense that the late vote (not including overseas plus odds & ends) is mostly from rural areas.

Liberals are down a bit, for example.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

It’s not something I’ve focused on because I couldn’t give a shit, but my recollection is that Charles and Camilla were out of touch between the late 70s and mid 80s.

The “there were always 3 people in our marriage” was an unsubstantiated accusation by Diana, designed to con the unwary into hating Charles.

• Options
    Jimmie Åkesson (SD):

“We are now Sweden’s second largest party.”

“We will know the result on Wednesday.”
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Alistair said:

Looks like Russia has executed a fairly comprehensive cruise missiling of the majority of Ukriane's major non nuclear power stations.

I know it’s not something they care about but isn’t deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure against the rules?
    I think both parts of that statement are correct.

Well against the rules of war, not sure about the rules of special military operation.

My questions would be why did they not do this before? and how difficult will it be to reparse, I hear on twitter that the damage in Karkive has mostly been fixed already but the rest of the regens its not looking so simple.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

It’s not something I’ve focused on because I couldn’t give a shit, but my recollection is that Charles and Camilla were out of touch between the late 70s and mid 80s.

The “there were always 3 people in our marriage” was an unsubstantiated accusation by Diana, designed to con the unwary into hating Charles.

That's not true. We have leaked phone calls!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

"I know nothing about it, but I am going to tell you all about it anyway." How many different ways do you think you can have it?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Interesting to see how different countries’ election results drift away from the exit poll in different directions as different types of local area report votes. Sweden seems to be drifting rightwards as the evening goes on. The US drifts leftwards. UK rightwards.

In US, time zones have impact, along with later poll closing hours in New York State and some other eastern urban areas compared to early closing times in Indiana and Kentucky.

In WA State 2022 Primary, the latter vote counts in Seattle favored Democrats & progressives, while in most of the rest of the state later counts tended Republican & conservative.

In Seattle, more progressive voters have typically voted later than other for many years. Whereas Trumps antic during & reaction to 2020 election turned many MAGA GOPers into last-minute voters.
  • Options

WillG said:

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen

Absurd but true.
    Not sure I accept your characterization above. In fact, sure I do NOT accept it.

Anyway, fail to see relevance to future of the Crown, or the UK. OR the price of tea in China for that matter.
    You were the one insulting the intelligence of the royal family, who were making a rather sound decision. The fact she continued her affair with the heir to the throne after he was married shows her poor character.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

It’s not a defence really, perhaps partial mitigation, but he was not allowed to marry the love of his life, who I note he is still with into his seventies. I would not have done what he did, but he was put in an awful situation.
    You ought to meet some people who have been in genuinely awful situations.

When he was single he could have married any single woman he wanted, assuming she wanted to marry him. Easy-peasy: if mumsy objected, tell her to do one. If she still objected, go and spend 0.0001% of his wealth on marrying her abroad. If the Foreign Office refused to apostillise his birth certificate, take them to court.

Utilising some young woman who was found from somewhere and whom mumsy and pater thought was so eligible, letting love-of-his-life go and marry someone else, but continuing to screw her, never mind that said young woman who'd borne him two children was going crackers under the pressure, and could easily have topped herself - those aren't the actions of a reasonable person put in difficult circumstances. They're the actions of a weak immature creep who uses other people like objects and can't take responsibility for his own actions, always preferring to blame someone else, ostensibly because he was "born into" this, that, or the other - a complete lie because he can stick two fingers up at the whole show whenever he wants and he chooses not to. It's not other people who choose for him. He chooses. He may not seem like one, but he's a grownup man.
    What did I just read?
    The latest shit screed from a Russian troll.

They don’t care what the topic is - they just want to divide and disrupte.

Better ignored.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    24 tanks added on ORYX today,

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

A big number, but in may ways I'm surprised its not even bigger.
  • Options
    I think I’ll call it a night.

The figures are not changing much now. Looks like it’ll be the final 2 or 3 mandates on Wednesday that’ll decide the outcome.

Bit of a farce that the party of 19% looks like they’ll provide the PM. It’ll be a horribly weak government. I suspect that the Moderates will profoundly regret their choice in the years ahead.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

1906 to 1910.
    Asquith was a horndog.

Sepia dick pics.

EDMUND

Educated Winchester and Merton btw, covering both bases in the recent PM face off

I read Hermit of Peking about 30 years ago, when H T-R thought B's own work was too feelthy ever to be published, now note that Manchu Decadence is to be had for a fiver on kindle, huzzah.
    Most interesting thing about Trevor-Roper's bio-expose of Backhouse, is that Lord Daycare (sp) shortly afterward "authenticated" the Hitler "Diaries".

Guy who just wrote a book about a con artist, falls hook, line & retainer, for an even bigger con artist.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I consider myself an arch-traditionalist; I have no respect for any monarch who isn't a serial adulterer.

God this argument is tedious. But at least it's a step up from deskgate.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2022
    BigRich said:

Alistair said:

Well against the rules of war, not sure about the rules of special military operation.

My questions would be why did they not do this before? and how difficult will it be to reparse, I hear on twitter that the damage in Karkive has mostly been fixed already but the rest of the regens its not looking so simple.
    Because if your story is you are coming to liberate a grateful population from the evil Nazi rulers in a 3 day operation then blowing up the heating and lighting is gauche and unnecessary.

Russia has been clinging to the lie for months now. The Kharkiv humiliation seems to be a scales falling from their eyes moment.
  • Options
    Soloviev, calls for the execution of Russian commanders.

I suggest he stays away from windows.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited September 2022
    Seeing a couple of "Ukraine close to reaching Russian border in Kharkiv region" reports.

One to check in the morning.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,195
    edited September 2022
    Imagine if the Ukrainians had negotiurrendered a fortnight ago as peace lovers were demanding
  • Options

Although it would be diplomatically irregular, but the UK could score quite a coup by inviting both Trump and Obama as well as Biden, as given their recent statements they probably would all attend. Their presence together at the same event would then become something of a global event in itself, boosting Britain's prestige.

Apparently it is up to Biden who he invites in the US entourage, and there is some speculation he might invite all the former presidents, each of whom offered very generous tributes to the late Queen.

Personally I doubt it, because other countries might feel obliged to follow suit.
    Reckon that, if it really is Biden's call then Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama AND Trump will be part of US delegation AND fly over together in Air Force One.

Always possible that Trump might refuse on those terms, and thus get zero invite.

But I doubt it.

You really think there’s any chance Trump would decline a ringside seat at the media event of the century?

• Options
    59,000 votes currently separate the two blocs.
    200,000 overseas votes, plus late Advance Votes, have yet to be counted.

The arrow has just shifted deeper into Right territory:

Now a 3 MP advantage to the Right bloc
  • Options
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
    She wasn’t a virgin. Apparently that was still an issue in the 70s

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    New projection, Swedish election:

Right bloc: 176 seats
    Left bloc: 173 seats
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    TimS said:

The exit poll has been almost 100% accurate in the most recent UK elections.
  • Options

I’m sure Liz Truss would be up for that.

Edit: oops… sorry… as you were
  • Options
    Amazing stuff. Putin's TV spin doctors and fellow travellers falling out about who is to blame for the disaster.

Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews
    Life comes at you fast: pundits on Russian TV realize that their military is failing and their country is in trouble. They are starting to play the blame game. Some of them finally understand that their genocidal denial of the Ukrainian identity isn't working in Russia's favor.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1569070513909022720
  • Options

But I doubt it.

You really think there’s any chance Trump would decline a ringside seat at the media event of the century?

He might be worried people would notice the crowds were far larger than when he became President?

• Options
    WillG said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

That's not true. We have leaked phone calls!
    From the mid 80s… I was at prep school at the time which would put it after 1984
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

"I know nothing about it, but I am going to tell you all about it anyway." How many different ways do you think you can have it?
    No it means that is my recollection but I haven’t spent an hour on Google fact checking
  • Options

But I doubt it.

Find it difficult to believe he would decline, for that very reason.

But would NOT rule out some kind of Grand Hissy Fit.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    Alistair said:

BigRich said:

Alistair said:

Because if your story is you are coming to liberate a grateful population from the evil Nazi rulers in a 3 day operation then blowing up the heating and lighting is gauche and unnecessary.

Russia has been clinging to the lie for months now. The Kharkiv humiliation seems to be a scales falling from their eyes moment.
    If their missiles are functional and accurate enough to hit power station infrastructure, that rather implies that the strikes on blocks of flats were entirely deliberate and not just poor targeting.
  • Options

But I doubt it.

He might be worried people would notice the crowds were far larger than when he became President?

I’m sure you could unskew the estimates
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

No it means that is my recollection but I haven’t spent an hour on Google fact checking
    Lazy and conceited fail, there.
  • Options
    Looks like the new government will be a very weak minority government:

Government parties?
    M + KD + L = 29.0%

C&S party:
    SD = 20.7%

Opposition:
    S + C + V + MP = 48.7%

(all just projection)
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Sweden Democrats just dropped a seat in the projections, which was instead allocated to the Moderate Party. Same bloc.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    dixiedean said:

Latest projection:

Team Kristersson: 49.7%
    Team Andersson: 48.8%

So. Kristersson has an electoral disaster, but ends up PM?
    I'm sympathetic to PR, but this kind of stuff gives me pause for sure.

And the last British PM who took office with 49.7% of the vote or more was…….?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lazy and conceited fail, there.
    No it means I’ve got better things to do at 11.30 at night. But since you are probably drunk I can’t be bothered to argue with you if you won’t engage on the substance. You’ve just post two random insults at me instead. Says a lot about you.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

The Queen
    Yes it was brutal for Charles but the Queen was probably right for the institution.

Could you imagine if the Prince of Wales was now the son of Charles and Camilla not William? Diana brought the glamour and empathy the 21st century monarchy needed
    I think what time has shown is that Charles would have been much happier, and his children would have had an easier time of things.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Sean_F said:

Told by who?

Outrageous effrontery!
    By whom.
    "Why does the word who exist if you're never allowed to say it?"
    Who says we're not allowed to say the word "who"?
    It was a brooklyn nine nine quote.
  • Options

Amazing stuff. Putin's TV spin doctors and fellow travellers falling out about who is to blame for the disaster.

Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews
    Life comes at you fast: pundits on Russian TV realize that their military is failing and their country is in trouble. They are starting to play the blame game. Some of them finally understand that their genocidal denial of the Ukrainian identity isn't working in Russia's favor.

Some unexpected hitting to the heart of the matter there, about either full mobilization or getting out.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Latest projection:

Team Kristersson: 49.7%
    Team Andersson: 48.8%

So. Kristersson has an electoral disaster, but ends up PM?
    I'm sympathetic to PR, but this kind of stuff gives me pause for sure.

And the last British PM who took office with 49.7% of the vote or more was…….?
    Baldwin.
  • Options
    PM Magdalena Andersson:

Very statesmanlike: initial section about Ukraine.
  • Options

Never fails.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    kle4 said:

Never fails.

"Have him arrested at once!" Defence roared. "And arrest the family of the traitor."

"Our Comrade Defence Minister seems far more efficient in arresting our own people than if defeating our enemies," Segertov observed dryly.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    kle4 said:

Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews

Some unexpected hitting to the heart of the matter there, about either full mobilization or getting out.
    The guy talking is the ‘NATO shill’ devil’s advocate, whose purpose was to provide the illusion of debate.
    Sounds like he actually means it there.

That’s the problem when things go really wrong. The usual lies were never particularly credible, but that never really mattered up to now.
    At the point when the real world imposes itself on your fantasy, then it does.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Trump was invited to the George H. W. Bush funeral -- but was kept in a sort of "penalty box". (I don't remember the details, but remember smiling at the cleverness of whoever arranged that.)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    New Thread
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Christ, the stuff on this thread.
    All exterminationist rhetoric.

https://twitter.com/krides/status/1569055684410359810
    From a Russian Telegram channel:

"Ukrainians, will you understand already that in Russia, only bastards think of you as a fraternal people. For a Russian to say that "a Ukrainian is my brother" is the same thing as saying "my mother is a whore..."
  • Options
    Ulf Kristersson (M):

”I ask for your patience.”

“Sweden needs to gather together.”

“I have great respect for Magdalena Andersson. I thank her for a good match… We can agree on certain issues.” Eg Nato
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

Truss will be interested.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews

The guy talking is the ‘NATO shill’ devil’s advocate, whose purpose was to provide the illusion of debate.
    Sounds like he actually means it there.

That’s the problem when things go really wrong. The usual lies were never particularly credible, but that never really mattered up to now.
    At the point when the real world imposes itself on your fantasy, then it does.
    The Russian authorities currently appear to be a bit stuck between 'Things are still going completely according to plan' and 'No wonder we are finding it hard when the West is backing the Nazi regime so much?'.

If they are going to demand an escalation and long struggle that balancing act cannot really stand.
  • Options
    Kristersson talked about what he had in common with Magdalena Andersson, but never even mentioned his supposed pals the Sweden Democrats.

Curiouser and curiouser.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited September 2022
    Now down to 175-174 to the Right. Will the votes left to be counted move the needle?

(and just moved back to 176-173)
  • Options

Now down to 175-174 to the Right. Will the votes left to be counted move the needle?

(and just moved back to 176-173)

My guess is that yes, they will, and slightly in favour of the Right.

But I just cannot shake Ulf Kristersson’s speech out of my mind!! Is he going to “do the dirty” on the Sweden Democrats and suddenly hop into bed with the Social Democrats?!? Seems profoundly unlikely, but that was the clear inference from his speech. Has the fact the Sweden Democrats overtook his party spooked him?

I’ve no idea. But I’m knackered. Godnatt.
  • Options
    A grand coalition would have a 176 to 173 majority in parliament, although I suppose the Centre Party might also join it if it happened.
This discussion has been closed.