Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A sad day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

I've always liked dwelling on the practicalities behind grand events. Like, who sets up the sound system for the Papal Conclaves? Who organised the bottles of water in the media room for the Taliban press conference after taking Kabul?

I can just imagine someone at Buckingham Palace frantically hunting round for the headed paper for the official notification, or contacting someone in IT as the printer was bust.

Some poor sod in each Department’s digital team needs to track down every reference to “Her Majesty” or “the Queen” on gov.uk.
    Which department or other section of HMG will incur the most cost/waste, by having to mulch the most (or most expensive) amount of stationary (yes even in this day & age) pre-printed with "Her Majesty"?

OR will the PM score an early triumph, by decreeing that all such stocks MUST be used until exhausted, in the interest of the Great British Taxpayer? Even unto the next several reigns!
    You'd be surprised how much HMG expects us to use the internet. And even when doing things on paper, to download the bumf and print it out at our own expense.

Your comment has prompted me to turn to the filing cabinet fish out the tax return I submitted on paper a few days ago, and interestingly it is not headed "Her Majesty's ..." but "HM Revenue and Customs", while addresses etc are given in that form or as HMRC tout court. Which may indicate someone has been unusually sensible. Pace our wokefinders, there is often a great deal of sense in de-gendering texts and documents ...
    Actually that’s a very good point. Take the most famous of examples - ships have always been “HMS” so no repainting is needed.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    kle4 said:

I've always liked dwelling on the practicalities behind grand events. Like, who sets up the sound system for the Papal Conclaves? Who organised the bottles of water in the media room for the Taliban press conference after taking Kabul?

I can just imagine someone at Buckingham Palace frantically hunting round for the headed paper for the official notification, or contacting someone in IT as the printer was bust.

Ha yes. I’ve been that IT guy in the background on too many work occasions. It’s a big responsibility, to know things that only the CEO knows and not f… it up.

Interesting that the PM got the message at 16:30 today, two hours before the rest of us, and while the royal plane occupants were still in the car to Balmoral.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

biggles said:

I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.

By contrast I’m in my thirties (just) and my wife, many of my friends, and I have been very saddened.
    Yes. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that my kids' reaction was universal or typical. Nor that all PB posters are doddery oldies like me. But I reckon you're among the younger end of contributors, with a few others. I was just curious about my own lots' reaction. (They're lefties, mind you!).
    As are most of them. So your anecdote is more than likely to be generally applicable, because this is a very relevant gradient.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

Some poor sod in each Department’s digital team needs to track down every reference to “Her Majesty” or “the Queen” on gov.uk.
    Um, I am a non techie 60 year old, and I know how grep works. You claim to be 30 ish and haven’t heard of search and replace?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Cookie said:

From an entirely selfish point of view: they're going to postpone the Traffor11+, aren't they? Due on the 19th.
    Months, this has hung over us. Finally, she's peaking, but she's also desperate for it to be over. She's very borderline, and she panics, and she doesn't fall into "Oh I'm sure she'll be fine" territory. Makes me want to weep.

I hope not. The idea that you should forcibly cancel life for ordinary people is bloody ludicrous. Good luck to your daughter - I hope she sits on the 19th and passes.
    There was OKC's story on the last thread of his school in 1952 and the Headmaster calling an emergency assembly to give the news of HM's passing and saying it wasn't a happy occasion so no half holiday - get back to work!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

The absolute state of cancelling sporting matches when matches ARE ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED NOW. Either a principle applies or it doesn’t.

(It shouldn’t, if people don’t want to watch a match they are under no obligation to do so)

FFS 97% of life's choices are resolved by adhering to the principle: don't be a wanker.

If you find that too difficult, fine, but it is still good to stick to the fallback rule, don't be a complete and utter wanker in response to a once in 96 year event. If you can possibly help it.
    In what way am I being a wanker? I’m merely saying that games should only be cancelled if players refuse to play or the majority of ticket holders refuse to attend. Given we have no evidence of either, why do you get to decide for other people? Do you suggest we cancel work for the next ten days? Close everything down?

Ah who cares.
    You’re either a monarchy or you’re not.
    Having said that, even the US are flying flags half mast for 10 days.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Times were hard for the royals in the late 1920s. They couldn't even afford a colour camera...
    I just assumed real life was black and white until the 50s.
    It was till the seventies.
    It was the coal dust.
    I thought colours were still being rationed in the 50s?
  • Options

My 7yo came home from her school in New York to let me know that the Queen had died “of old age”, but not to worry because a new King was “stepping up”.

Pretty good summary. And pretty positive considering.

She will remember THIS day for all of HER days.
  • Options
    A very sad day. Now going to have to get used to saying KC instead of QC in legal circles.
  • Options

biggles said:

biggles said:

The absolute state of cancelling sporting matches when matches ARE ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED NOW. Either a principle applies or it doesn’t.

(It shouldn’t, if people don’t want to watch a match they are under no obligation to do so)

There is a difference. By 1830 it was too late to safely cancel the match.

Not so. Games have been cancelled at such short notice many many times in the past. However they were right not to cancel it, those who didn’t want to attend didn’t need to do so.

Name one. You’ll find in the your example it was unavoidable.

Games get cancelled during play. I’ve been at two football games called off for weather (one high winds, one a frozen pitch). It is possible, but I suspect it was more prudent to allow these games to go ahead. The weekend is a different matter.
    Yup, unavoidable examples as I say.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Um, I am a non techie 60 year old, and I know how grep works. You claim to be 30 ish and haven’t heard of search and replace?
    Not that easy. I’m not referring to a word doc.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited September 2022
    The next great PB debate:

Should we have lockdown for Covid HMQ's demise? Bring it on.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Times were hard for the royals in the late 1920s. They couldn't even afford a colour camera...
    It was the coal dust.
    Parma violets, and traffic light gobstoppers, were.
  • Options

biggles said:

President Biden orders U.S. flags at the White House and all public buildings, grounds, military posts and naval stations to be flown at half-staff in honor of Queen Elizabeth, until she is buried.

https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1567955747853451265

Wow. I don’t think they do that sort of thing much for foreigners…
    None of us are going to see a reign of 70 years again in our lifetimes....
    Few of us can claim to have seen ALL the 70 years of the LAST reign.

Though % on PB clearly WAY higher than in UK or Planet Earth in general!
    My wife and I are fortunate to say we have and even her wedding in 1947
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,908
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Not so. Games have been cancelled at such short notice many many times in the past. However they were right not to cancel it, those who didn’t want to attend didn’t need to do so.

This one very recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56960091

Also, this one fairly recently.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/match-reports/bournemouth-nottingham-forest-storm-eunice-6675593

Games being abandoned at short notice is fairly common.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

I'm 35, and some references slip through - look at any local government website for example, and you'll find dead links, out of date information and old references.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

It was the coal dust.
    As I understand it red, yellow, green, brown, blue, and pink came off the ration first so snooker could resume.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Ha yes. I’ve been that IT guy in the background on too many work occasions. It’s a big responsibility, to know things that only the CEO knows and not f… it up.

Interesting that the PM got the message at 16:30 today, two hours before the rest of us, and while the royal plane occupants were still in the car to Balmoral.
    Jacinda Ardern said she was woken up by a policeman waving a torch in her face at 4:50am NZ time, ie 5:50pm UK.

Having said that they might have waited until a “reasonable hour” to wake her.

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

The next great PB debate:

Should we have lockdown for Covid HMQ's demise? Bring it on.

I find the SAGE modelling unconvincing on this argument.
  • Options

biggles said:

biggles said:

This one very recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56960091

Also, this one fairly recently.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/match-reports/bournemouth-nottingham-forest-storm-eunice-6675593

Games being abandoned at short notice is fairly common.

When unavoidable, like I said….

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited September 2022
    Things will be cancelled simply because nobody wants to be accused of showing disrespect.

All the UEFA club games have gone ahead tonight as usual without any issues whatsoever. Were any players too upset to play tonight? Have many spectators decided not to attend tonight because they are mourning? Of course not. So why cancel games on Saturday if not tonight? Surely people are far more likely to be upset or in shock tonight than on Saturday.

The day of the funeral is obviously a different matter and I can understand cancelling things on that day.
  • Options

biggles said:

President Biden orders U.S. flags at the White House and all public buildings, grounds, military posts and naval stations to be flown at half-staff in honor of Queen Elizabeth, until she is buried.

https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1567955747853451265

Wow. I don’t think they do that sort of thing much for foreigners…
    None of us are going to see a reign of 70 years again in our lifetimes....
    Few of us can claim to have seen ALL the 70 years of the LAST reign.

Though % on PB clearly WAY higher than in UK or Planet Earth in general!
    My wife and I are fortunate to say we have and even her wedding in 1947
    Tops me, Big G, although I do remember the Coronation. It is one of my earliest memories.

I was five.

Nite all. Been quite a day.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Jacinda Ardern said she was woken up by a policeman waving a torch in her face at 4:50am NZ time, ie 5:50pm UK.

It’s not like the story was going to change…
  • Options
    'Disgusting' trending on twitter apparently. Seems to be a mixture of attention grabbers competing to be the most insulting, those commenting on the comments which are insulting, and some idiot Trump supporter talking about Hilary, and those talking about her.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

They all have to be informed before the news is released
  • Options
    On the subject of events, for a few years now event insurers have been offering cover for the death of the monarch.

As with Wimbledon and the pandemic in 2020, anyone with sufficient insurance is going to cancel their event for the next fortnight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

'Disgusting' trending on twitter apparently. Seems to be a mixture of attention grabbers competing to be the most insulting, those commenting on the comments which are insulting, and some idiot Trump supporter talking about Hilary, and those talking about her.

That’s disgusting.
  • Options

I appreciate, and to some extent share, the sadness expressed by most posters tonight. Interestingly, though, I've talked to all four of my children tonight, all in their early thirties. I was surprised both by how unmoved they were, and more tellingly, by their lack of interest. They just don't see HMQ as relevant to their lives; they think she's done well to get to 96, and that the reaction to her death is a bit over the top. They weren't derogatory about her in the slightest - just not interested. I do wonder if it's a bit of a generational thing - I guess most PB posters are somewhat older.

This is why I doubt the mourning bounce will be as enormous for Truss as some of the (older) faithful on here seem to think. She will get some benefit nonetheless.

My children in their twenties undoubtedly understand the magnitude of the moment but don't feel the grief.
    I'd be amazed if Truss gets a bounce with any section of the population. Blair was able to milk Diana's death because he was riding high on political adulation himself, he had the acting skills and there was something a bit New Labour about Diana anyway, so her legacy could be easily co-opted. Truss, if she's recognized at all, just seems a kind of intruder, a curious political glitch. I doubt anyone will pay her much heed.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Why? (Genuinely). The U.K. PM yes, and the devolved leaders perhaps, but NZ?
  • Options

I mean the senior head of state in the world, head of a commonwealth of 2.5 billion of the worlds inhabitants and monarch for 70 years has died.
    The idea that some stuff wouldnt get cancelled for a bit is bizarre.

Quite. The 'it's an old woman dying' stuff is just a bit dismissive of the fact its a head of state, and its the day of the event. Even if an event tomorrow was cancelled, well, it's the next full day after, I would be very surprised if things are not occasionally cancelled in such circumstances in other places.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Actually I’m sure he’s right, thinking about it.

• Options
    Presumably those who support the cancellation of the sporting schedule also support the foreclosure of all work places and retailers simultaneously?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

If she didn't get her statement out quickly enough the Governor-General removes her as PM. Well known rule.
  • Options
    The Queen’s death is such a news supernova that Liz’s simply adequate speech is totally drowned out already.

I don’t think Truss really gets a bounce.
  • Options
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

That’s disgusting.
    I'm disgusted you are disgusted.
  • Options

Presumably those who support the cancellation of the sporting schedule also support the foreclosure of all work places and retailers simultaneously?

I am permanently in favour of the former because I am lazy and would like a day off.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

If she didn't get her statement out quickly enough the Governor-General removes her as PM. Well known rule.
    Does she not have flunkies? That’s surely a job for a flunky.
  • Options

The Queen’s death is such a news supernova that Liz’s simply adequate speech is totally drowned out already.

Except that the BBC keep quoting her….
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    Todays £150bn spending splurge is now the 22nd most important story on the BBC news homepage.

Incredible.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

kle4 said:

Bad news for anyone laying the draw.

Following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Friday's play between England and South Africa Men at The Oval, along with all scheduled matches in the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy, will not take place.

For fixtures beyond Friday, updates will be provided in due course

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2786528/no-play-on-friday-in-third-england-v-south-africa-test-following-death-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii

Figures.

I assumed they'd cancel the match and play it as a one off decider some other time, like the India game.
    Why? There are football matches being played right now (eg at Old Trafford). The idea that you should stop everything is crazy - unless the players themselves have refused to play?

I'm sad but it sounds like too much getting cancelled already.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

That’s disgusting.
    I'm disgusted you are disgusted.
    Yuck.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Pretty sure NZ outranks the devolved national leaders.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Either that, or the simultaneous destruction of the whole of the observable universe in one huge big yawn event. Just leave it out.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

⚡️The cover of the new issue of Time magazine.

👉 Follow @Flash_news_ua https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1567947407987556355/photo/1

...Darth Elizabeth?!
    A Prisoner era photograph?

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286

What you say is logical but I'm afraid logic doesn't come into it.

Essentially the Monarchy is a show - and cancelling things like sports events when a Monarch dies is just part of that show.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

biggles said:

Games get cancelled during play. I’ve been at two football games called off for weather (one high winds, one a frozen pitch). It is possible, but I suspect it was more prudent to allow these games to go ahead. The weekend is a different matter.
    Yup, unavoidable examples as I say.

Nope. Read up on the Forest match. Certainly could have gone ahead safely.

• Options
    edited September 2022

Who are you even arguing with with this stuff? You seem to be saying that organisations are being forced to cancel things (which they clearly aren't, since some are not going to), and now that there can be no differences between any sort of event, but that a single policy must apply for everything? Even though, as I said, advice in these matters is generally to consider what is appropriate within the period, rather than provide a set list of X and Y must happen and Z must not. Certainly it will advise certain things would be preferred not to. But why act like if someone does think a sporting event should be cancelled (and I don't care if they do or don't, I think it is up to them) that that must mean they support closing everything? That's not even extending the logic to absurdity, it's just an unconnected point.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    edited September 2022

biggles said:

By contrast I’m in my thirties (just) and my wife, many of my friends, and I have been very saddened.
    Yes. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that my kids' reaction was universal or typical. Nor that all PB posters are doddery oldies like me. But I reckon you're among the younger end of contributors, with a few others. I was just curious about my own lots' reaction. (They're lefties, mind you!).
    Our reaction was it is sad, but not unexpected, and so life goes on.
    It just isn't a shock really, as this day was always going to come.
    It reminds me a bit about when Nelson Mandela died, and one of my colleagues was really annoyed with having to do a minutes silence and it being referred to as a 'tragic' event; the fact is he was very old so was obviously going to die.

Edit -this isn't to trivialise the event.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

That was about as reasonable an hour as she could have expected. 40 minutes later and it was on the news. Sometimes these things happen in the middle of the night, as with the death of Diana.
  • Options

No. Sporting fixtures are not the economy nor peoples access to food, heat, medicine etc
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Re sport.
    The RL is in trouble. Playoffs start this weekend. One game in France. Runs straight into a World Cup.
    Rugby Union may have the same issues too. No free weekends in their ludicrously overcrowded schedule.
  • Options
    ping said:

Todays £150bn spending splurge is now the 22nd most important story on the BBC news homepage.

Incredible.

'What the energy plan means for you' at number 9 though.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Things will be cancelled simply because nobody wants to be accused of showing disrespect.

All the UEFA club games have gone ahead tonight as usual without any issues whatsoever. Were any players too upset to play tonight? Have many spectators decided not to attend tonight because they are mourning? Of course not. So why cancel games on Saturday if not tonight? Surely people are far more likely to be upset or in shock tonight than on Saturday.

The day of the funeral is obviously a different matter and I can understand cancelling things on that day.

Spot on. Most of all, in absolutely loathe the idea that someone dictates this on the part of the fans and players. What was the attendance at Old Trafford tonight? 50,000? 60,000?
  • Options

No. Sporting fixtures are not the economy nor peoples access to food, heat, medicine etc
    And the matches will be rearranged, it’s just like a bad weather postponement. Really a very strange hill to die on.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Pedant question.

Charles Statement:
    I know her loss will be deeply felt throughout the country, the Realms, and the Commonwealth, and by countless people around the world.

What, in 2022, are the Realms?
  • Options

I mean the senior head of state in the world, head of a commonwealth of 2.5 billion of the worlds inhabitants and monarch for 70 years has died.

Are you going to work in the morning?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pedant question.

Charles Statement:
    I know her loss will be deeply felt throughout the country, the Realms, and the Commonwealth, and by countless people around the world.

NZ, Canada, Australia and about a dozen more.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

Indeed. Fairly trivial to change websites, if required.
  • Options

biggles said:

You simply do not reflect the mood of the nation and while you are entitled to your views you are unlikely to have an effect on the next 10 days mourning for the Queen
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Lacked a people's Princess soundbite.
    But then she ain't Tony Blair.
    Her energy intervention is lost in the ether too.
    What a baptism of fire.
  • Options

I refer you to the late Mr Shankly .

"Somebody said that football's a matter of life and death to you, I said 'listen, it's more important than that'."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Thought Starmer spoke well to be fair, far more statesmanlike than Corbyn or even Ed Miliband would have done. Liz did OK too but if we have to have a Labour PM there are worse options than Sir Keir
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

That was about as reasonable an hour as she could have expected. 40 minutes later and it was on the news. Sometimes these things happen in the middle of the night, as with the death of Diana.
    Agree with every word, but rolling it back to the first post… a policeman with a torch in her face? Feels a bit dramatic.

• Options
    In addition to, and beyond, her many crowns, countries and Commonwealth, her manifold titles, her deep-rooted, many branched family tree, perhaps the greatest of Queen Elizabeth II's distinctions is this:

Last Veteran of World War Two

Certainly she is the last Head of State to have served in the armed forces of her country during the War. And among the very last of living veterans.

It is fitting that the Last Vet was Her Majesty.

For while women were a minority of the uniformed services in every country at war, they gave their share, one way or another, in what QEII's first PM most memorably referred to as, "blood, toil, tears and sweat".
  • Options

Serves her right. She should have told people what she had in mind while before her election was guaranteed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Quite. The 'it's an old woman dying' stuff is just a bit dismissive of the fact its a head of state, and its the day of the event. Even if an event tomorrow was cancelled, well, it's the next full day after, I would be very surprised if things are not occasionally cancelled in such circumstances in other places.
    Why cancel them if people are happy to staff them and attend them?
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Are you going to work in the morning?
    I don't work so no i am not
    If i did - yes i would
  • Options
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Agree with every word, but rolling it back to the first post… a policeman with a torch in her face? Feels a bit dramatic.

One of her security squad trying not to wake her husband while at the same time helping reassure her it's not an intruder?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Remarkable statement from President Macron. Hard to imagine a contemporary British prime minister being as gracious about a great French figure passing. https://twitter.com/EdwardGLuce/status/1567976520404336640/photo/1
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pedant question.

Charles Statement:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_realm
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Either that, or the simultaneous destruction of the whole of the observable universe in one huge big yawn event. Just leave it out.
    Who liked this post?

You been drinking again I see
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

One of her security squad trying not to wake her husband while at the same time helping reassure her it's not an intruder?
    The intruder thing is what I was thinking of. Don’t know about you but if I’m woken up with a torch in my face I think I’d be kicking and screaming, and thinking “intruder”.

Minor point I know tonight, just intrigued me.

• Options

Yes well unfortunately too many 30s and under are narcissists who can't see the importance of much beyond their latest Instagram post
  • Options
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

What would you suggest instead?
    Some kind of special alarm?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Elizabeth the Great is a tag that seems to be sticking on the BBC.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Remarkable statement from President Macron. Hard to imagine a contemporary British prime minister being as gracious about a great French figure passing. https://twitter.com/EdwardGLuce/status/1567976520404336640/photo/1

I think he's probably a nice and gracious bloke for the most part. But as it comes to relations with the UK he is no more immune to indulging in cheap and petty crap than our leaders are towards France, when they find it useful and convenient. It's nice for everyone to get away from that.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

The intruder thing is what I was thinking of. Don’t know about you but if I’m woken up with a torch in my face I think I’d be kicking and screaming, and thinking “intruder”.

Minor point I know tonight, just intrigued me.

As opposed to being woken in the dark?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thought Starmer spoke well to be fair, far more statesmanlike than Corbyn or even Ed Miliband would have done. Liz did OK too but if we have to have a Labour PM there are worse options than Sir Keir
    You're warming to Starmer, aren't you? If he were a Tory, you'd much prefer him to Truss, wouldn't you?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

HMQ was the Queen of NZ too. It would be weird if the PM of NZ wasn't told.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    There is another thing, which is the enormity of the news in general. When you think back over the last year, we've had lots of covid stuff ; the Kabul airlift, the terrible scenes in Ukraine and so on. Plus a change of PM a few days ago. Against all this stuff, rightly or wrongly, the death of the queen may struggle to get that much attention - particularly as it was not unexpected.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

kle4 said:

I wouldn't have, but nations cancel stuff when heads of state die, I don't know why you are so incredibly upset by that. It's up to the organisers to decide what they want to do, I may not agree with their choices but I don't think it is worth getting so angry about either, no one as far we can tell is forcing them to cancel anything. So if you must be as angry as you appear to be about it, direct it solely at the organisers, not the occasion, the occasion is not mandating it.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I imagine its the standard 'emergency wake' procedure, rather than screaming 'cinda, wake up! In her face
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Are we Caroleans now?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is it? I think Macron, for example, would get a very glowing tribute from the PM. It’s called diplomacy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    HYUFD said:

And we are all spared that lying clown trying to speak for the nation but really trying to make it all about himself. HMQs last gift to us all was seeing him out.
  • Options

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Knock on the door. Phone. Light switch.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

You're warming to Starmer, aren't you? If he were a Tory, you'd much prefer him to Truss, wouldn't you?
    I don't mind him, as I said I thought Liz found the right words too even if she still lacks great oratory but I could live with Sir Keir as PM yes as I could live with Blair. I would not vote for either of them but I could live with them
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Who are you even arguing with with this stuff? You seem to be saying that organisations are being forced to cancel things (which they clearly aren't, since some are not going to), and now that there can be no differences between any sort of event, but that a single policy must apply for everything? Even though, as I said, advice in these matters is generally to consider what is appropriate within the period, rather than provide a set list of X and Y must happen and Z must not. Certainly it will advise certain things would be preferred not to. But why act like if someone does think a sporting event should be cancelled (and I don't care if they do or don't, I think it is up to them) that that must mean they support closing everything? That's not even extending the logic to absurdity, it's just an unconnected point.
    No it’s not unconnected at all. People like cancelling stuff that they aren’t bothered about. So if they don’t have tickets to the Test or the football, they might like cancelling those. But they don’t want to close their local off licence and supermarkets because they want wine and food.

Give over with the cancelling shit. If the players refuse to play or fans refuse to attend (no evidence so far of that, quite the opposite…) , cancel the games, otherwise carry on.
  • Options

MattW said:

Pedant question.

Charles Statement:

NZ, Canada, Australia and about a dozen more.
    UK, NZ, Canada, Australia, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Grenada, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu.
  • Options
    Truss won't get a bounce from that, neither will Keir.

20 point lead still nailed on IMHO
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Great tribute. Macron is, and always has been, a class act. Much classier than our recent leaders.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I wouldn't have, but nations cancel stuff when heads of state die, I don't know why you are so incredibly upset by that. It's up to the organisers to decide what they want to do, I may not agree with their choices but I don't think it is worth getting so angry about either, no one as far we can tell is forcing them to cancel anything. So if you must be as angry as you appear to be about it, direct it solely at the organisers, not the occasion, the occasion is not mandating it.
    EFL postpones all Friday fixtures with a decision about the rest of the weekend waiting on official mourning guidance.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

She was Head of State of NZ as well
  • Options
    edited September 2022

In addition to, and beyond, her many crowns, countries and Commonwealth, her manifold titles, her deep-rooted, many branched family tree, perhaps the greatest of Queen Elizabeth II's distinctions is this:

Last Veteran of World War Two

Certainly she is the last Head of State to have served in the armed forces of her country during the War. And among the very last of living veterans.

It is fitting that the Last Vet was Her Majesty.

For while women were a minority of the uniformed services in every country at war, they gave their share, one way or another, in what QEII's first PM most memorably referred to as, "blood, toil, tears and sweat".

You can commemorate that for yourself, complete with the Royal, in your den with some Testors (?) paint and glue:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10873009

But you are quite correct.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It’s surely not inappropriate that a period of mourning is observed. I think 10 days too long but them’s the breaks in a 1000-year-old monarchy.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Great tribute. Macron is, and always has been, a class act. Much classier than our recent leaders.
    The reaction to Ukraine invasion from him showed a man of real honour and courage. He spoke to Putin because he was trusted to do so, despite what the French haters would have you believe he is a fine man
This discussion has been closed.