Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Latest Truss vote share betting as we wait for the election result – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Well, I am shocked. Just shocked.
  • GE in 2024.

The PM just announced it!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    edited September 2022
    OnboardG1 said:

Sunak should be pleased with that. Lost with honour.

Puts him in a strong position if Truss fucks it tbh. That was not an especially convincing win.
    "Truss" and "convincing" in the same para? Be a while before that happens again...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,252
    She's awkward, her voice is annoying, she does not speak well, she's got a weird suggestive BDSM necklace, she's likely a disaster

On the other hand, the necklace says she really doesn't give a fuck. That may just save her. She will never be liked in the Boris way, but she *might* actually get stuff done
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,803
    This is a very poor speech. Even by the low standards we saw during the campaign.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Leon said:

I miss Boris. @HYUFD is right

The Tories have made a mahoosive error

Have they though? Perhaps they might bring back Boris as the Messiah right before a general election. He'd be more popular doing that than if he stayed on.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534

Truss had the right wing press on her side and the Sunak betrayed Bozo mantra and didn’t even manage to get over 60% of the membership vote .

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Conservative Leadership Contest result

Truss 60,399
    Sunak 81,326

Truss elected

On 19,000 less than Sunak?
    81-60 = 19? They say education standards are slipping, but given the relative (I think) ages of you two we can safely assume they've always been awful :tongue:
    Oh yeah, 21,000. I must have been as excited as HY

This speech is a little bit "cheese", isn't it?

Put it off. She really isn't a public speaker whatever else she proves to be.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,282
    nico679 said:

Truss had the right wing press on her side and the Sunak betrayed Bozo mantra and didn’t even manage to get over 60% of the membership vote .

It was clear from the London hustings that Sunak had more support in that part of the country.
    I had to turn it off. Too cringe
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Poor result for Truss tbh, after all that ramping she got 57% of members.
  • I think Truss can’t appoint a cabinet full of her right wingers based on those numbers.

She’s fecked from day one. Not really a strong mandate from the membership , none from the country

She'll be about as popular as a Xmas lockdown come the end of September.

• OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,272

OnboardG1 said:

Sunak should be pleased with that. Lost with honour.

Puts him in a strong position if Truss fucks it tbh. That was not an especially convincing win.
    Yep. He should stick around now rather than piss off to CA. He has a great chance to the 'I bloody told you all so' candidate in a year.
    I wonder if this puts him in the prince-in-exile role that would let him undermine her for months before sinking the knife in. He clearly hates her and the parliamentary party don’t like her either.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    Let's all "deliver" together. Truss is so delivery-committed that she's even going to "deliver a plan"! She has zero care for the meaning of what she says. Reminiscent of Blair in that regard.

Deliver! Deliver! What a f***ing moron...
    glw said:

This is a crap speech. Did she not prepare it?

She's probably nervous about meeting who she's got to meet this afternoon...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Someone needs to stand next to her and clap at appropriate junctures
  • I. Will. Wait. For. The. Applause. However long it takes.
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

She's awkward, her voice is annoying, she does not speak well, she's got a weird suggestive BDSM necklace, she's likely a disaster

On the other hand, the necklace says she really doesn't give a fuck. That may just save her. She will never be liked in the Boris way, but she *might* actually get stuff done

Until about 10 or 15 years ago the Tories always won the female vote at general elections. One thing she may be able to do is turn that around to some extent.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Vastly close than I thought it would be. Feel better about zeroing out Sunak rather than having any risk.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    I need reminding how many female PMs the progressive Labour party have had now.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    Unpopular said:

Ooft, this is a bit cringey. That awkward pause after saying Boris is loved from Kyiv to Carlisle...

She's already conceded Scotland?
  • I am not impressed with her speech and the result indicates she needs to take care in appointing her cabinet

Interesting times ahead but in the end it is her col announcements this week that really matter
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Eabhal said:

81.3k (57%)
    60.4k (43%)

That's kinda close. Just wonder if Sunak had stuck to his guns on competence/realism, he might have squeezed through.
    As the campaign went on, he was the only one persuading listeners - problem was votes were cast early in the campaign without actually listening to it. If they had voting after the last hustings, it would have been closer still.
    Tory MPs must know. They must. Just watching her right now, they are surely thinking: We're fucked.
    https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1566754161231904769
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

This is a rough(ish) guide to energy costs assuming the October prices take effect
    Usages costs at 52p per kwh

I'm surprised the oven uses less energy per hour than a hob ring. I guess things usually take longer in the oven tho. But if you can fill it with meals you can microwave later that could make savings.
    Oven pretty low energy draw once it's up to temperature, I should think (which takes, what, 10 minutes or so?). At that point the thermostat cycles the element on and off as needed, so there are quite some periods when the energy draw is near zero. We've got a new oven in last few weeks as part of kitchen/extension work and it really is almost cool to touch even in use - as with everything else I guess the insulation has got much better. Of course, the thing being cooked is an energy sink too.

Traditional hob is losing energy to the air (or to the pan which loses it to the air) all the time. Induction similar, although without the direct hob to air energy transfer.
    You can transfer a lot of stuff done on the hob to a microwave with little effort.

Eg, you can perfectly adequately steam/boil veg/rice with the correct tool. Much more energy efficient.
    Risotto in the microwave is dead easy and quick.
    What kind of witchcraft is this? Risotto isn't meant to be quick. It's meant to be a labour of love.
    Risotto in the microwave has two huge advantages - it's quick so I can cook a healthy and tasty family meal from scratch in 40 minutes after getting home from work. But more importantly, it really triggers precious foodie types.
    You don't need a microwave

This is an absolutely magnificent risotto recipe which takes about 30 minutes

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smoked-haddock-leek-risotto

But follow the tips in the comments and amp up the flavour: add garlic and cracked black pepper at the start, chuck in a glass of white wine early on, replace spinach with cavolo nero or rocket, grate some parmesan at the end

I also add dashi powder in my fish stock

Honestly, it's fabulous. I did an enormous amount of cooking during lockdown, like so many of us, and this is the single best recipe I discovered, partly because it is so delish, but also coz it's so easy (but you do need to add those flavours)
    ‘grate some parmesan at the end’

Lol
    I was so chastened by the harsh PB critique of my pre-grated Parmesan habit, I went and bought a grater

True story

I actually quite enjoy the grating rigmarole now, and do it with a certain Italian flourish, like I am head waiter at the Gritti Palace

As a man ages, he must take his furtive pleasures where he can

You can tell a man is single if he can grate a big block of cheese in under 10 seconds.

I reckon you can grate a big block of parmesan under 2 seconds.
    I was watching a cookery youtube video a while back and the chef put the box grater flat on the surface (open end away from him) then started grating by just pushing the cheese against it. Half the effort and twice as quick.

I guess a similar principle to below. Probably the oldest thing in my kitchen (apart from me) and still works a treat.

If you - or any PB-er - can give me a quick easy way to peel and slice/crush garlic I will fiercely support Scottish independence til the end of time. None of the gimmicky tricks work, and garlic crushers don't do it properly, and are messy and annoying. Jamie Oliver says prepping garlic is his least favourite task, and reminds him of nightmare hours doing it as a trainee chef at the River Cafe

I know what he means
    I'm no chef (at all) but about six years ago we bought a garlic grater from Liverpool Food and Drink festival. From these guys I think: https://thegreatgarlicgrater.co.uk/product-category/ginger-and-garlic-grater-buy-uk/

Never used it till about six months ago when the wife signed us up to HelloFresh. HelloFresh use garlic in everything and it's been amazing to use. Peels the cloves in a plastic sleeve (just roll it) and then rub the clove against the plate.
    It does always leave a bit 'ungrated' at the end (unless you want to grate your fingers) but I must admit it was a great buy.

Also, we've got the same old grater that TUD recommends and that still works a treat too.
    What happened to the smoother Truss - the smoother Truss - of the later hustings?

This is the worst prime minister in recorded history
  • Unpopular said:

Ooft, this is a bit cringey. That awkward pause after saying Boris is loved from Kyiv to Carlisle...

Support ends abruptly at Carlisle though.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,711
    @theresa_may
    Congratulations
    @TrussLiz

We
    @Conservatives
    must now work together to address the challenges facing our country. Tackling the cost of living, delivering for those in need & managing the public finances responsibly. I look forward to supporting the government in that task.
    https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1566754735289425920?s=20&t=v0kVHcvhSeU8JqxNt7tObw
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

It was clear from the London hustings that Sunak had more support in that part of the country.
    Fraser Nelson claiming it was 80-20 Sunak in the South.
    edited September 2022

I am not impressed with her speech and the result indicates she needs to take care in appointing her cabinet

Interesting times ahead but in the end it is her col announcements this week that really matter

Notably Truss paid tribute to Boris but did not even mention Rishi, so suggests her Cabinet will be dominated by Boris loyalists and Truss backers
  • Leon said:

What happened to the smoother Truss - the smoother Truss - of the later hustings?

This is the worst prime minister in recorded history

Premature but likely prescient.
  • So the same people who didn't like Truss yesterday, didn't like her speech today.

It was awkward but so is she, but she's also been elected to do the job as she has the right proposals to do it well. And Starmer doesn't exactly set the bar high there either.

If the Party or Country wanted a smooth public showman they could have kept Boris.

If Truss honours her promises and abolishes the NI surcharge that Rishi introduced then she'll have done what she promised and deserved the job for that alone. If she backtracks on that, then let her lose the next election.
  • This makes Keir look charismatic lol
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    I’m not going to criticize Truss for a dull speech . In the great scheme of things what’s important is what she delivers which I expect to be two years of division and othering supported by an arse licking right wing press .

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

90 10 in the red wall then?!
  • And so it begins...

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    6m
    Truss delivering a speech more stiff than Theresa May; audience missed cue to clap Boris
    Chris said:

Unpopular said:

She's already conceded Scotland?
    I don't think even Boris would say he is loved in Scotland, Truss though grew up in Paisley
  • What time does the buyer's remorse start in Tory WhatsApp groups?

HYUFD said:

I am not impressed with her speech and the result indicates she needs to take care in appointing her cabinet

Notably Truss paid tribute to Boris but did not even mention Rishi, so suggests her Cabinet will be dominated by Boris loyalists and Truss backers
    Er, yes she did

Her speech was shit but she did praise Sunak
  • HYUFD said:

@theresa_may
    Congratulations
    @TrussLiz

We
    @Conservatives
    must now work together to address the challenges facing our country. Tackling the cost of living, delivering for those in need & managing the public finances responsibly. I look forward to supporting the government in that task.
    https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1566754735289425920?s=20&t=v0kVHcvhSeU8JqxNt7tObw

Are you supporting that tweet
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,696
    Time until Conservatives are booted out of office... 5...4...3...2...1

Oh - and I’d be well chuffed if I were Sunak. I’d sit out this next phase of govt and make a comeback when it all goes inevitably tits up

Nah. If by Christmas she is as popular as scofula, the party will grovel to Wallace to take the job in a coronation.....
    So the next general election will pit a comprehensive educated Tory leader against a privately educated Labour leader for the first time since 2001 and we do get our first PM ever fully educated at a Comprehensive.

Winchester still has not produced a PM since Henry Addison in the early 19th century
  • Scott_xP said:

Tory MPs must know. They must. Just watching her right now, they are surely thinking: We're fucked.

The Conservatives have lost Ian Dunt!?

Fuchsia me that's a surprise. Sell the Tories.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited September 2022
    While Mr. Roberts' 251 tip on Sunak didn't come off directly it made a great trading bet. I buggered things up a little late on but did finish well ahead, based entirely on that great bet suggestion.
  • dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Doubt it. Given the geographical spread of Tory members Sunak would have won if that was true. Maybe he means London.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

This is a rough(ish) guide to energy costs assuming the October prices take effect

I'm surprised the oven uses less energy per hour than a hob ring. I guess things usually take longer in the oven tho. But if you can fill it with meals you can microwave later that could make savings.
    Oven pretty low energy draw once it's up to temperature, I should think (which takes, what, 10 minutes or so?). At that point the thermostat cycles the element on and off as needed, so there are quite some periods when the energy draw is near zero. We've got a new oven in last few weeks as part of kitchen/extension work and it really is almost cool to touch even in use - as with everything else I guess the insulation has got much better. Of course, the thing being cooked is an energy sink too.

Traditional hob is losing energy to the air (or to the pan which loses it to the air) all the time. Induction similar, although without the direct hob to air energy transfer.
    You can transfer a lot of stuff done on the hob to a microwave with little effort.

Eg, you can perfectly adequately steam/boil veg/rice with the correct tool. Much more energy efficient.
    What kind of witchcraft is this? Risotto isn't meant to be quick. It's meant to be a labour of love.
    Risotto in the microwave has two huge advantages - it's quick so I can cook a healthy and tasty family meal from scratch in 40 minutes after getting home from work. But more importantly, it really triggers precious foodie types.

But follow the tips in the comments and amp up the flavour: add garlic and cracked black pepper at the start, chuck in a glass of white wine early on, replace spinach with cavolo nero or rocket, grate some parmesan at the end

Honestly, it's fabulous. I did an enormous amount of cooking during lockdown, like so many of us, and this is the single best recipe I discovered, partly because it is so delish, but also coz it's so easy (but you do need to add those flavours)

Lol
    I was so chastened by the harsh PB critique of my pre-grated Parmesan habit, I went and bought a grater

True story

I actually quite enjoy the grating rigmarole now, and do it with a certain Italian flourish, like I am head waiter at the Gritti Palace

You can tell a man is single if he can grate a big block of cheese in under 10 seconds.

I was watching a cookery youtube video a while back and the chef put the box grater flat on the surface (open end away from him) then started grating by just pushing the cheese against it. Half the effort and twice as quick.

I guess a similar principle to below. Probably the oldest thing in my kitchen (apart from me) and still works a treat.

If you - or any PB-er - can give me a quick easy way to peel and slice/crush garlic I will fiercely support Scottish independence til the end of time. None of the gimmicky tricks work, and garlic crushers don't do it properly, and are messy and annoying. Jamie Oliver says prepping garlic is his least favourite task, and reminds him of nightmare hours doing it as a trainee chef at the River Cafe

I know what he means
    I'm no chef (at all) but about six years ago we bought a garlic grater from Liverpool Food and Drink festival. From these guys I think: https://thegreatgarlicgrater.co.uk/product-category/ginger-and-garlic-grater-buy-uk/

Never used it till about six months ago when the wife signed us up to HelloFresh. HelloFresh use garlic in everything and it's been amazing to use. Peels the cloves in a plastic sleeve (just roll it) and then rub the clove against the plate.
    It does always leave a bit 'ungrated' at the end (unless you want to grate your fingers) but I must admit it was a great buy.

Also, we've got the same old grater that TUD recommends and that still works a treat too.
    Chopping or grating or smashing garlic in the most enjoyable way is one thing. Food prep should be fun. I might buy one of those plates. Let 100 methods bloom.

But peeling the cloves using anything other than a sharp knife is poncing about.....
    The speech is over. The only way is up!
  • One interesting takeaway from this is a rare opportunity to find out how many Tory Party members there are. In 2018 it was 124,000. Recent, supposedly informed, newspaper reports were saying 180,000 - 200,000. Sir GB today says it is just over 160,000.

Useful marker going forward.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

So the same people who didn't like Truss yesterday, didn't like her speech today.

It was awkward but so is she, but she's also been elected to do the job as she has the right proposals to do it well. And Starmer doesn't exactly set the bar high there either.

If the Party or Country wanted a smooth public showman they could have kept Boris.

If Truss honours her promises and abolishes the NI surcharge that Rishi introduced then she'll have done what she promised and deserved the job for that alone. If she backtracks on that, then let her lose the next election.

See my post regarding the polling Robert Colville was talking about earlier.

Unless she targets low to average wage workers (which that NI change doesn't do) she is completely and utterly doomed.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    Unpopular said:

The audience not clapping when they were expected too. Embarrassing.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Truss 60,399
    Sunak 81,326

Truss elected

Some mistake surely.
    HYUFD doesn't make mistakes. I'm sure he will explain why he is right really in a minute.
  • HYUFD said:

She did compliment Rishi

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

80-20 Truss in the rest.
    That's what he said. I found it jaw dropping.
    A real problem for her if true.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

I think Truss can’t appoint a cabinet full of her right wingers based on those numbers.

She’s fecked from day one. Not really a strong mandate from the membership , none from the country

Nah, lockdown had quite a lot of public support.

It would be popcorn time if the electric wasn't so costly...
    “Please Clap”

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Lol

True story

I know what he means

Thanks!

The Tory Party has just delivered to us the worst prime minister in several centuries, who will lead us all to catastrophic poverty by November, but on the other hand I've learned some new things about prepping garlic, so it's swings and roundabouts

And now, a cycle-ride around Portugal. Later
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Unpopular said:

Support ends abruptly at Carlisle though.
    And for it to be true, you have to select very carefully from the bits in between.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:

So the next general election will pit a comprehensive educated Tory leader against a privately educated Labour leader for the first time since 2001 and we do get our first PM ever fully educated at a Comprehensive.

Winchester still has not produced a PM since Henry Addison in the early 19th century

Fascinating
  • HYUFD said:

I really worry that Truss will ruin the prospects of us Comprehensive schooled folk forever.

I think "suave" is the precise word you're looking for.

Scott_xP said:

She’s lost Ian Dunt already !!
    In other news, another 48 KRABs for the Polish Army. Battle-tested in Ukraine, self-propelled tracked howitzers will be Warsaw's backbone of artillery. Teamed up with Korean K9 and HIMARS, Poland will have one of the best artilleries in the world.

Given the neighbourhood, you need it.
  • MaxPB said:

Poor result for Truss tbh, after all that ramping she got 57% of members.

Worse than even IDS,

The only way is up (baby).
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

HYUFD said:

She did compliment Rishi
    Only cos it was in the script. She completely blanked him on the way up to the stage.
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Er, yes she did

Her speech was shit but she did praise Sunak
    Well Sky said she didn't, to be honest switched off after the first few seconds but I doubt Sunak is getting a post in her Cabinet anyway
    Foxy said:

I think Truss can’t appoint a cabinet full of her right wingers based on those numbers.

Nah, lockdown had quite a lot of public support.

It would be popcorn time if the electric wasn't so costly...
    I’m buying an air fryer so that I can cook in the knowledge that I’m only partially bankrupting myself.

• BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,156
    edited September 2022
    eek said:

So the same people who didn't like Truss yesterday, didn't like her speech today.

Unless she targets low to average wage workers (which that NI change doesn't do) she is completely and utterly doomed.
    I don't care.

That tax rise has to go. If that tax rise goes and Labour wins the next election, so be it.

If she reverses that tax rise AND does whatever else is required to win the next election then all the better.

If that tax rise stays, then I want the Tories to lose the next election anyway.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

80-20 Truss in the rest.
    That's what he said. I found it jaw dropping.
    A real problem for her if true.
    Worth kerping an eye on the regionsl sub samples (with all appropriate caveats). They are already getting horrific 'south' scores
    Tory Party now cleaved in three.
  • rcs1000 said:

This morning, my plane touched down at Gatwick at 9:22am, and I was at my flat in Central London at 10:45.

Thameslink + Crossrail is amazing.

Welcome back Robert.
    IDS had a bigger mandate than #ThickLizzy
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Eabhal said:

81.3k (57%)
    60.4k (43%)

That's kinda close. Just wonder if Sunak had stuck to his guns on competence/realism, he might have squeezed through.
    My prediction was 60-40 - I did think the Sunak boosters who said he still had a chance were not totally deluded. 57-43 is very much a "Well, I suppose so" endorsement.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Alexander Boris dePfefel Johnson, surely?

One interesting takeaway from this is a rare opportunity to find out how many Tory Party members there are. In 2018 it was 124,000. Recent, supposedly informed, newspaper reports were saying 180,000 - 200,000. Sir GB today says it is just over 160,000.

Useful marker going forward.

172,437 is the total membership if I heard correctly.
    "Based on her record as foreign secretary, diplomats and analysts in London and Washington said, relations could get bumpier with the United States and, even more so, with Europe."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/03/world/europe/britain-prime-minister-liz-truss-rishi-sunak.html?smid=tw-share
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    Thread has been peeled, pressed and chopped.
    Scott_xP said:

Someone needs to stand next to her and clap at appropriate junctures

She’s going to need that for the foreseeable if that’s what she’s going to be like. A victory speech and it was a dud.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    I guess the tone of her time in office is set in her actions this week. Because god help us judging by that speech
    Nigelb said:

"I will deliver on the National Health Service."

Is she expecting ?

I hope so. She’d be entitled to nine months maternity leave. She and her husband get a lovely addition, and someone competent can run the government for nine months.
  • Unpopular said:

Plus the unspoken feelings north of Carlisle...
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Starmer: “there can be no justification for not freezing energy prices and imposing a windfall tax on producers”.

Other than it will break the market mechanism and lead to rationing, and disincentivise investment in boosting supply.

Bore off you dimwitted twit. We are in the midst of a once in a generation energy crisis and now have a PM who spent years working in the energy sector. Let’s see what she does.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,883

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Lol

True story

I know what he means

Thats the beast I use too (as described above) - I really rate it.

Scott_xP said:
    Alexander Boris dePfefel Johnson, surely?
    SKS as next PM, Sunak as next Tory leader.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Addington
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

eek said:

I don't care.

That tax rise has to go. If that tax rise goes and Labour wins the next election, so be it.

If she reverses that tax rise AND does whatever else is required to win the next election then all the better.

If that tax rise stays, then I want the Tories to lose the next election anyway.
    So how do we pay for social care going forward?

• So our new PM is a piece of equipment designed to support bollocks. Seems about right.

Burst bollocks no less
    (yeah, yeah, I know it's not the actual bollocks)
  • FlannerFlanner Posts: 405
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Truss 60,399
    Sunak 81,326

Truss elected

Truss wins 57% to 43% for Sunak so a clear win but a bit closer than expected, in fact the closest membership vote of any Tory leadership contest since Tory members got a vote after the 1997 general election
    And how does turnout compare?

82% is LOWER than the normal General Election turnout for many Blue Wall seats round where I live. Only the Tory leadership election is organised around allowing ample time and opportunity for the postal votes you'd expect a significantly elderly electorate to prefer.
    Edwina Currie versus Martin Lewis on the energy crisis. I'm with Edwina on this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11181055/Martin-Lewis-clashes-Edwina-Currie-suggests-putting-foil-radiators.html
  • rcs1000 said:

This morning, my plane touched down at Gatwick at 9:22am, and I was at my flat in Central London at 10:45.

Thameslink + Crossrail is amazing.

You're welcome.
    moonshine said:

Starmer: “there can be no justification for not freezing energy prices and imposing a windfall tax on producers”.

Other than it will break the market mechanism and lead to rationing, and disincentivise investment in boosting supply.

Bore off you dimwitted twit. We are in the midst of a once in a generation energy crisis and now have a PM who spent years working in the energy sector. Let’s see what she does.

Four years as a trainee accountant with Shell?

We're home and dry.
  • eek said:

eek said:

I don't care.

So how do we pay for social care going forward?

Any funds from the state will come from General Taxation, just as it always has.
This discussion has been closed.