Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can Truss lead the Tories to a general election victory? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• EPG said:

Bus privatisation has been a slam dunk disaster.

Water privatisation has likely been a disaster.

Train privatisation can be argued either way I think.

It us interesting that both the Post Office and the trains were privatisations that Mrs Thatcher considered to be beyond the pale. I personally think that Rail privatisation has been a success but could have been so much better had it not been botched by Major. On the Post Office I think it is a stupid idea (privatisation I mean). There are certain services that work better if run by a Government.
    I don't think mail is one of those. I don't care if DHL or Government DHL brings my parcel.
    It is if you want a universal postal service. Otherwise you end up with many parts of the country getting a substandard service.
    Who needs post any more? Other than parcels. Letter post has ceased to be a necessity.
    You missed the tale of TSE's tax rebate cheque?
  • OT for motorists:-

Thieves are using cars’ electric wing mirrors as a “green flag” for unlocked vehicles to steal or search for valuables, the AA and police have warned.

Convicted car thieves have told university researchers they are scanning streets to identify high-end cars with retractable wing mirrors that are not folded in as a simple sign they are unlocked.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/19/how-cars-wing-mirrors-could-leave-vulnerable-theft/ (£££)
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,831
    edited August 2022

kle4 said:

All quiet at Zaporizhzhia thankfully. Long may it continue

Yes. Hard to know what's happening, but there was plenty of implausible spin yesterday from both sides yesterday. My guess is that the Russians are using the plant as a firing position, hoping the Ukrainians won't fire at it, and the Ukrainians are firing at it anyway, hoping the Russians get the blame if anything goes wrong. I really doubt if the Russians are firing at themselves, though placing artillery there is almost as bad.
    I have no idea what is going on either, but you seem to have difficulty believing the Russians in particular would do something irrational and counterproductive, when occupying a powerplant in the first place would seem both.

When making an estimate about liklihood of irrational actions, I think people have just cause to be more suspicious and not give benefit of the doubt.
    Yes, I also think Nick was a little optimistic yesterday in asserting it wasn't in either side's interest for a nuclear catastrophe to occur. Perhaps but for Ukraine it would be a calamity. For Russia not so much. It's just possible that Putin might consider it a price worth paying not least since the parts of Russia that would be at risk are not where the people in Russia who actually matter live (Moscow and St Petersberg). Hopefully Macron stressed to Putin that he dare not allow anything stupid to happen there.
    Stalingrad/Volgograd probably the most 'at risk' Russian city if winds are westerly
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited August 2022
    mickydroy said:

HYUFD said:

mickydroy said:

No one has become prime minister without the backing of the Murdoch press since 70s, so yes all to play for, the Murdoch press amongst others are bound to treat Truss, as the second coming of Christ.I certainly wouldnt be backing Labour at this stage

The Times backs Sunak not Truss
    At the next election they will back Truss over Starmer, guaranteed
    Not certain, the Times is pretty centrist. If any paper is going to switch from backing the Tories in 2019 to Starmer Labour and the LDs next time it would be the Times. The Sun will back Truss, as will the Mail, Express and Telegraph. The Mirror and Guardian and Independent will back Labour. That also suits Murdoch as the next election will be close and so he will have backed the winner either way. While if Truss wins it would again be the Sun Wot Won It
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

EPG said:

It us interesting that both the Post Office and the trains were privatisations that Mrs Thatcher considered to be beyond the pale. I personally think that Rail privatisation has been a success but could have been so much better had it not been botched by Major. On the Post Office I think it is a stupid idea (privatisation I mean). There are certain services that work better if run by a Government.
    I don't think mail is one of those. I don't care if DHL or Government DHL brings my parcel.
    It is if you want a universal postal service. Otherwise you end up with many parts of the country getting a substandard service.
    Who needs post any more? Other than parcels. Letter post has ceased to be a necessity.
    You missed the tale of TSE's tax rebate cheque?
    Obviously, but I doubt he needs the money.

I got mine electronically, but they did feel the need to write to me about it, rather than email.
  • Rishi reprising his greatest hits is a wasted opportunity. If he wants to say the same things, he should find different ways of saying it.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    HYUFD said:

No PM since universal suffrage has won a 5th consecutive general election for their party. Only 1, Major in 1992, won after more than 10 years of his party in power.

So the odds favour Starmer not Truss, even if Truss gets a bounce as new PM and RedfieldWilton has her narrowly ahead of Starmer as preferred PM

Is that fact meaningful?
    There have been 24 general elections since universal suffrage on equal grounds.
    If election wins were 50:50 random, you’d expect to see a single such case of five on the trot every 32 elections, so it wouldn’t be too surprising not to see one yet. However, it would still be fifty:fifty for the next election as the dice have no memory.

I’m not saying that it IS necessarily totally random, merely that if you’re implying or conjecturing a pattern, you do have to address the null hypothesis.
    edited August 2022

EPG said:

You need parcels in rural areas and there it is still mainly Royal Mail not Amazon or DHL who deliver them
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    kle4 said:

All quiet at Zaporizhzhia thankfully. Long may it continue

Yes. Hard to know what's happening, but there was plenty of implausible spin yesterday from both sides yesterday. My guess is that the Russians are using the plant as a firing position, hoping the Ukrainians won't fire at it, and the Ukrainians are firing at it anyway, hoping the Russians get the blame if anything goes wrong. I really doubt if the Russians are firing at themselves, though placing artillery there is almost as bad.
    I have no idea what is going on either, but you seem to have difficulty believing the Russians in particular would do something irrational and counterproductive, when occupying a powerplant in the first place would seem both.

When making an estimate about liklihood of irrational actions, I think people have just cause to be more suspicious and not give benefit of the doubt.
    Yes, well, I was wrong about the invasion itself, which seemed to me obviously against Russia's and Putin's interest and therefore not likely to happen. So you may be right, unfortunately.

The point made elsewhere that the plant is designed to resist a direct plane crash and therefore not likely to be dangerously damaged by shelling may be right too - I can't see the Ukrainians wanting to trigger a catastrophe. But miscalculations by local commanders later backed up by the top brass litter history - I can imagine the Russians thinking it'd be clever to dig in there, and the Ukrainians saying we're not letting them get away with that, and both sides thinking it'll *probably* not trigger a nuclear disaster.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    HYUFD said:

mickydroy said:

HYUFD said:

mickydroy said:

No one has become prime minister without the backing of the Murdoch press since 70s, so yes all to play for, the Murdoch press amongst others are bound to treat Truss, as the second coming of Christ.I certainly wouldnt be backing Labour at this stage

Not certain, the Times is pretty centrist. If any paper is going to switch from backing the Tories in 2019 to Starmer Labour and the LDs next time it would be the Times. The Sun will back Truss, as will the Mail, Express and Telegraph. The Mirror and Guardian and Independent will back Labour. That also suits Murdoch as the next election will be close and so he will have backed the winner either way. While if Truss wins it would again be the Sun Wot Won It
    Mudoch might well be no longer with us by then

HYUFD said:

mickydroy said:

HYUFD said:

mickydroy said:

Mudoch might well be no longer with us by then
    His children would be the same, the Murdochs try to always back the winner as it is good for business.

Plus remember the Times backed Labour in 2001 and 2005 before switching back to the Tories under Cameron in 2010
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    55m
    EXCL: Labour sets out plan to link minimum wage to cost of living - and to scrap lower pay categories for younger workers.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1560691472936173568
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

After the green emerald in Belfast, Liz Truss has returned to *that* necklace.

She is pro-NPRail and M62, and anti-Andy Burnham.

Truss notes we've had decades of low growth. Not that she makes blue on blue attacks.

Emeralds are always green. The beryl family that emerald belongs to can be different colours - blueish green it is called aquamarine. The pinky salmon colour version is called morganite. It can also be yellow.
    Top PB intervention.
    Well played, sir.
  • After the green emerald in Belfast, Liz Truss has returned to *that* necklace.

She is pro-NPRail and M62, and anti-Andy Burnham.

Truss notes we've had decades of low growth. Not that she makes blue on blue attacks.

Emeralds are always green. The beryl family that emerald belongs to can be different colours - blueish green it is called aquamarine. The pinky salmon colour version is called morganite. It can also be yellow.
    I emphasised the green for Belfast which is sort of green for Ireland but perhaps a little tone deaf. She also wore a purple dress so maybe Liz was giving a nod and wink to the nationalist community. Or maybe it was just a dress and a jewel.
    If Labour come up with a triple lock for the low paid just as the Tory pensioners have then maybe we have game on in 2024.

Hilarious satire on ConHome of a Tory backbencher switching from Sunak to Truss.

https://conservativehome.com/2022/08/19/a-statement-from-j-alfred-prufrock-mp-why-i-am-voting-for-sunak-sorry-truss/

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    55m
    EXCL: Labour sets out plan to link minimum wage to cost of living - and to scrap lower pay categories for younger workers.

The lower pay for younger workers has always been unjust. Was understandable when youth unemployment was high. But now we need every worker we can get.
    That includes unskilled over 50's. Who get crowded out by youngsters who are cheaper.
    Anti woke free speech argument gets biggest cheer of night.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Bizarre suggestion dentistry money is being diverted to Other Purposes within NHS. Smack at Javid for supporting Truss?
    Sunak's verbal tic of using the word 'right' all the time is a problem imho.
  • dixiedean said:

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    55m

The lower pay for younger workers has always been unjust. Was understandable when youth unemployment was high. But now we need every worker we can get.
    That includes unskilled over 50's. Who get crowded out by youngsters who are cheaper.
    Increase the minimum wage for the young but get rid of the apprentice levy.
    Racing news:Tiger Roll wins his Racehorse ro Riding Horse class at Tullamore Show.
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 775

A lot of Tory GE2019 voters are currently don't know. This means they are open to being won back.

I think there's a lot of potential. Labour haven't managed to pin the blame for the crisis onto the Tories, so it's not yet too late to turn things around.

A lot of CON GE2019 VOTERS were not Tories but were simply opposed to Corbyn
    I think there was a lot of nose holding at GE2019, people voting Corbyn against Johnson and Johnson against Corbyn.
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

You need parcels in rural areas and there it is still mainly Royal Mail not Amazon or DHL who deliver them
    not here, which is pretty bloody rural. DHL evri DPD Amazon all in it.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Carnyx said:

FPT

regarding bus fares - in London you can ride unlimited buses within 1 hour for £1.65, and £4.95 for a whole day.

Very similar in Edinburgh and the linked Lothian bus routes under Lothian Buses.
    I had to drive through the west end of Princes St at rush hour a couple of days ago, still shuddering at the memory. A tram added to the paralysis, it was less than half full.

Can't quite believe that a city with one of the best bus services in Scotland has chosen trams, and is in fact doubling down on that.
  • Sunak's verbal tic of using the word 'right' all the time is a problem imho.

Right!
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    Unpopular said:

A lot of Tory GE2019 voters are currently don't know. This means they are open to being won back.

I think there's a lot of potential. Labour haven't managed to pin the blame for the crisis onto the Tories, so it's not yet too late to turn things around.

A lot of CON GE2019 VOTERS were not Tories but were simply opposed to Corbyn
    I think there was a lot of nose holding at GE2019, people voting Corbyn against Johnson and Johnson against Corbyn.
    And people voting against Brexit, of course. And the reverse. Most certainly not permanent Tory voters.
    Locally driven planning with greater freedom. Corruption corruption corruption.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996

EPG said:

Maybe because I am too young to remember a time when everything was send by post, but I'd agree, and I don't think it would be a Trussian disgrace to ask people to pay an extra three pounds for a parcel that costs an extra three pounds to deliver.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

Carnyx said:

FPT

regarding bus fares - in London you can ride unlimited buses within 1 hour for £1.65, and £4.95 for a whole day.

Very similar in Edinburgh and the linked Lothian bus routes under Lothian Buses.
    I had to drive through the west end of Princes St at rush hour a couple of days ago, still shuddering at the memory. A tram added to the paralysis, it was less than half full.

Can't quite believe that a city with one of the best bus services in Scotland has chosen trams, and is in fact doubling down on that.
    The trams are absolutely rammed on the way out to Edinburgh Park on the commute. Part of the reason I went to cycling.

I think they'll make more sense when Leith Walk is done, and the work on North Bridge is partly being done to ensure they can run them out to RIE eventually.
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Where is that? Plus Amazon and DHL will charge more than Royal Mail for delivering to rural areas
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    IshmaelZ said:

It's more that that's completely counter to what government has wanted from the planning system for as long as I can certainly remember. Government has imposed rules to ensure building occurs, as they know if you leave it local in this country even very good proposals, or very needed ones, will not get through. Prior zonal proposals were hated (albeit to a large degree that was around the formula for housing), but at least an attempt to simplify things.

I really don't understand how giving more ways to say no from locals is going to help the problems we have in the system. Developers are taking advantage of it, definitely, but neighbourhood plans require immense local effort and need updating so often (or have to be bypassed if housing land supply is not met), that it is not worth the effort, so how are very local plans going to be created? How will housing get approved, and built in good time?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Oh and by the way, having been away at the end of the previous thread can I just say that I think it is sad that you think it is extremist for someone to believe that our elected Parliament should be able to make its own laws. You may be happy that the EU was able to make laws over this land without Parliament being able to prevent them but I don't think it is extremist to hold an alternative view to that.

Perhaps it is your democratic compass that is skewed rather than mine.
    What is sad is that you seek to rewrite and redefine terms to suit your own purist view of the world.

You are actually quite dishonest on this subject, presumably because the alternative breaks your interior worldview.
    I am in no way dishonest. What I have stated is the facts. It is you who seek to change the accepted definition of words when they don't suit your world view.
    No, you take an absolutist view, you set up straw men, and you mischaracterise your opponents.

I call that dishonest.
    Truss says GB news gets its facts straight unlike the BBC

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1560711780111945729?s=20&t=64RP377vpisgP4zjgFo3kA
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Where is that? Plus Amazon and DHL will charge more than Royal Mail for delivering to rural areas
    I have not paid for an Amazon delivery for years and certainly there are far fewer Royal Mail deliveries than ever
    HYUFD said:
    I smell me some pandering.

If GB news have never gotten facts wrong like other broadcasters I'll eat my hat. But someone I think she means something else.
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's more that that's completely counter to what government has wanted from the planning system for as long as I can certainly remember. Government has imposed rules to ensure building occurs, as they know if you leave it local in this country even very good proposals, or very needed ones, will not get through. Prior zonal proposals were hated (albeit to a large degree that was around the formula for housing), but at least an attempt to simplify things.

I really don't understand how giving more ways to say no from locals is going to help the problems we have in the system. Developers are taking advantage of it, definitely, but neighbourhood plans require immense local effort and need updating so often (or have to be bypassed if housing land supply is not met), that it is not worth the effort, so how are very local plans going to be created? How will housing get approved, and built in good time?
    Our neighbourhood plan is well thought out
    HYUFD said:
    Populist and irresponsible.
    Like her predecessor, she’s not fit to govern.
    Local plans are a basic necessity for local democracy.

Attempts to superimpose housebuilding targets by fiat are doomed to failure.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    mickydroy said:

You have it the wrong way round. Murdoch follows his readers not the other way round. A common misconception.
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Many are, but my point was they require a lot of effort to prepare, government policy has indicated they need refreshing pretty frequently as less weight is to be given to them the longer since their ratification, and even less weight may be given to them for circumstances outside the control of those who prepared it (eg a lack of 5 year land supply across the local authority, even if locally need has been met). Which of course developers can game by land banking, causing a lack of supply, which then enables them to attempt permission for sites that would otherwise be refused as against local and neighborhood plans.

How to give even more local control in a way that is managable for all concerned, and will actually help deliver building (since the government will still want more development to take place than locals will want)?

I feel bad for many local areas who have put in the work, only to see it effectively bypassed.
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

West Devon. No they won't Amazon Prime is flat rate everywhere, parcelforce is extra for IV and islands and IoW.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Carnyx said:

“Wales and Scotland aren’t nations, the UK should become a “unitary state” with devolution “evolved back”, and independence should be made “impossible”, an influential Tory peer has said.”

https://nation.cymru/news/wales-and-scotland-not-nations-and-independence-should-be-made-impossible-says-lord-frost/

Ho ho. As the end game approaches, the raw nerves are exposed.

More please! I like a good spanking.

“Meanwhile, I urge people in England not to give in to the ‘let them go’ argument. Partly because the break-up of the country would be a massive national humiliation. In Europe and beyond, it would be seen as a comeuppance which they would exploit to the full."

Quite. First thing he reaches for is Brexit.
    What he will find is that, whilst he may have a point, there is little or no support for his views in England. Many people don't have any interest in whether or not Scotland or Wales become independent, many would actually vaguely support it. This is a problem with unreformed Brexiteers. They think they were right once so they will be right again, but then they reveal themselves to not understand the country at all. It is a similar thing with their response to 'woke'. 4 years after Brexit, and the Centopah is being trashed - but the world is looking on with indifference. Perhaps this is a deeper problem with Brexit, it has unleashed all sorts of powerful disruptive forces that no one can control.

• HYUFD said:
    Liz was joking as Stewart had just got the date of her leaflet wrong.

HYUFD said:
    Liz was joking as Stewart had just got the date of her leaflet wrong.
    Good on her for showing some wit in that case.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043
    edited August 2022
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Developers tend to build schemes a few houses at a time, when they've sold the units. And sometime's leave sites where they've got planning permission sitting empty for a long time. I'd say the issues lie with developers rather than planners.
  • HYUFD said:
    Truss comedy act!
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Many are, but my point was they require a lot of effort to prepare, government policy has indicated they need refreshing pretty frequently as less weight is to be given to them the longer since their ratification, and even less weight may be given to them for circumstances outside the control of those who prepared it (eg a lack of 5 year land supply across the local authority, even if locally need has been met). Which of course developers can game by land banking, causing a lack of supply, which then enables them to attempt permission for sites that would otherwise be refused as against local and neighborhood plans.

How to give even more local control in a way that is managable for all concerned, and will actually help deliver building (since the government will still want more development to take place than locals will want)?
    Your last point is the critical one.
    Essentially high houses prices in London (due to lack of supply) should be Sadiq’s problem, not whoever is the latest in the revolving door of housing ministers.

Greater London is not very dense compared to Paris, New York, or Tokyo. Maybe people want it that way, but that is 50% of the reason prices are so high.

The other 50% is largely in the hands of the Bank of England…
    G Brady Old Lady and now that hog faced arsewipe Gullis. What larks.
    Roger said:

mickydroy said:

You have it the wrong way round. Murdoch follows his readers not the other way round. A common misconception.
    I'm sure he would love it if it really were the Sun wot won everything, but yours is more plausible.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741
    Finnish PM takes a dope test.

Boris Johnson needn't bother, as it's obvious he is one.
    IshmaelZ said:

I'm intrigued. How often (and how) do you wipe your arse with a hog face?
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

West Devon. No they won't Amazon Prime is flat rate everywhere, parcelforce is extra for IV and islands and IoW.
    Do you live in a village or town? If the latter you are not rural.

Amazon Prime itself costs extra
    Poshboi fancies poshboi shock

That guy was hilarious, two sentences in his natural Wykehamist accent and for the last one remembered to talk like ver comun peepl innit. And not a hint that he thought liz too lower middle class. No sir.
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Do you live in a village or town? if the latter you are not rural.

edge of hamlet.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I think that's true of many local authorities of all political stripes and none. The Planning process isn't just about residential development, there's the commercial/economic side in particular freeing up land for commercial development to bring money and jobs into an area.

The other side of that is looking at the retail balance in High Streets and other retail areas - how many catering outlets, betting shops and the like do you what or need? Epping, as I've said before, has a nice balance of shops, restaurants and the like and it has succeeded in keeping a good balance between traditional local businesses such as Church's (the local butchers) and the wonderful Zaikaa restaurant along with the national chains such as M&S, Smith's and Wildwood.

Part of it is providing good vehicular and pedestrian access to the retail area - again, all that is part of the Planning process in terms of the provision of car parking.
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Do you live in a village or town? if the latter you are not rural.

edge of hamlet.
    So close, but no cigar?
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Rabelais, as you'll know, recommended the neck of a living goose. Which is great, but there's times you wanna push the envelope.
  • HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Amazon Prime includes access to its Amazon original videos and premiership football together with free delivery for £95 pa
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Rabelais, as you'll know, recommended the neck of a living goose. Which is great, but there's times you wanna push the envelope.
    Even though that in itself raises some fascinating vistas, it doesn't atq.

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Amazon Prime includes access to its Amazon original videos and premiership football together with free delivery for £95 pa
    And a stack of proper films too. Presently e.g. all the mad maxes and OMG just seen Face/off is there for free for the next 4 days, so that's me for the evening.
  • Michael Gove has endorsed Rishi Sunak for the Conservative leadership and announced that he is bringing his career in frontline politics to a close.

Writing in The Times, he says that Liz Truss’s campaign has been a “holiday from reality” and that her tax cuts will put “the stock options of FTSE 100 executives” before the poorest.

He says that as prime minister Sunak will “put the strength of the state at the service of the weakest” and provide millions of people with the support they need during the cost of living crisis.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/michael-gove-liz-truss-rishi-sunak-pz67ggl9z

Michael Gove has endorsed Rishi Sunak for the Conservative leadership and announced that he is bringing his career in frontline politics to a close.

Writing in The Times, he says that Liz Truss’s campaign has been a “holiday from reality” and that her tax cuts will put “the stock options of FTSE 100 executives” before the poorest.

He says that as prime minister Sunak will “put the strength of the state at the service of the weakest” and provide millions of people with the support they need during the cost of living crisis.

So Sunak was clearly the worst candidate and at least something good has come out of this.
  • IshmaelZ said:

That guy was hilarious, two sentences in his natural Wykehamist accent and for the last one remembered to talk like ver comun peepl innit. And not a hint that he thought liz too lower middle class. No sir.

As I've mentioned before, Liz Truss does have an odd way of talking which in the past I've likened to French with its short phrases with stress at the end, followed by a short pause and then the next phrase. I think she is trying to get away from it though.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jesus

You have misconstrued me anyway. The reason I never, ever sit naked on mirrors (several PBers have met me and will confirm this foible) is because I have a hog faced arse. The thing I wipe it with resembles Gullis.

IshmaelZ said:

As I've mentioned before, Liz Truss does have an odd way of talking which in the past I've likened to French with its short phrases with stress at the end, followed by a short pause and then the next phrase. I think she is trying to get away from it though.
    She's trying to change how she speaks to win a leadership contest?

That. Is. A. Disgrace.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It matters not. Building will take precedence over a Neighbourhood Plan.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043

Michael Gove has endorsed Rishi Sunak for the Conservative leadership and announced that he is bringing his career in frontline politics to a close.

Lends credence to the Kemi conspiracy.
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It matters not. Building will take precedence over a Neighbourhood Plan.
    Not if the neighbourhood plan filters into the Local Plan
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jesus

You have misconstrued me anyway. The reason I never, ever sit naked on mirrors (several PBers have met me and will confirm this foible) is because I have a hog faced arse. The thing I wipe it with resembles Gullis.
    This gets more and more interesting. Because I have never sat on mirrors either. Nor felt the need to say I don't. And not for that reason.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I feel bad for many local areas who have put in the work, only to see it effectively bypassed.
    It is difficult to underestimate the contempt a lot of professionals involved in the planning system have for neighbourhood plans. They are often poorly produced and contradict other planning policies, which they can do, because they are only required to be in 'general conformity' with such policies. It leads to a lot of confusion.

But the basic problem with trying to prepare a neighbourhood plan is as described above, people get involved to try and direct development in a certain way in their area - understandable aims... but it can still be overridden in a scenario where the main local plan is considered 'out of date', which is the case a lot of the time, because the Council is not approving and delivering enough housing.

The pain must be unimaginable where you spend years doing a neighbourhood plan, make difficult decisions about where you want to protect and where you want housing to go, work to get support from the local community etc... but then you get housing approved on the areas you tried to protect anyway.
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Which is not cheap, especially for those on low incomes and 100 times the price of a first class stamp let alone a second
  • IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

And a stack of proper films too. Presently e.g. all the mad maxes and OMG just seen Face/off is there for free for the next 4 days, so that's me for the evening.
    Lots of customers are cancelling Amazon Prime, as I might do. The price has just gone up, I do not get that many deliveries, and nor do I stream their videos (even with their spotty sports coverage).
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited August 2022
    Big John please explain

Labour hold their biggest poll lead over the Conservatives for almost ten years amid mass dissatisfaction with the government’s handling of the cost of living.

A YouGov poll for The Times showed Labour with the backing of 43 per cent of voters, 15 points ahead of the Conservatives on 28 per cent. It is the biggest Labour lead recorded by the pollster since February 2013.

Labour’s score of 43 per cent is four points up on last week and the party’s highest vote share in a YouGov poll since March 2018. At the 2019 general election the party won 32.1 per cent of the vote under Jeremy Corbyn, Sir Keir Starmer’s predecessor.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-takes-biggest-poll-lead-in-tenyears-as-cost-of-living-crisis-bites-fdfrkwnms

Doesn't send quite the same message as "has endorsed Rishi Sunak for the Conservative leadership and announced that he is gearing up to be CotE on September 6" does it?

with friends like that...
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jesus

This gets more and more interesting. Because I have never sat on mirrors either. Nor felt the need to say I don't. And not for that reason.
    What happens in Newent stays in Newent.

There's the basis for an opposition within the government benches there.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

Wow. Looks like the Tory party is now even moving away from the old-school right-wing euro-sceptics. If it becomes the cult of Truss, which is not beyond the realms of possibility, then things will become interesting.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Truss is going to crash and burn the moment she becomes PM

Doomed.
  • Michael Gove has endorsed Rishi Sunak for the Conservative leadership and announced that he is bringing his career in frontline politics to a close.

But is equally consistent with the view that Kemi supporters were right wingers who did not rate Liz Truss.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited August 2022

Big John please explain

Labour hold their biggest poll lead over the Conservatives for almost ten years amid mass dissatisfaction with the government’s handling of the cost of living.

A YouGov poll for The Times showed Labour with the backing of 43 per cent of voters, 15 points ahead of the Conservatives on 28 per cent. It is the biggest Labour lead recorded by the pollster since February 2013.

Labour’s score of 43 per cent is four points up on last week and the party’s highest vote share in a YouGov poll since March 2018. At the 2019 general election the party won 32.1 per cent of the vote under Jeremy Corbyn, Sir Keir Starmer’s predecessor.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-takes-biggest-poll-lead-in-tenyears-as-cost-of-living-crisis-bites-fdfrkwnms

I really do not find this surprising as the conservative party go navel gazing in the midst of the most acute crisis in decades

The 1922 need to take a hard look at its idiotic rules but then it is looking likely the conservative party will have quite some time in opposition in 2 years time
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jesus

What happens in Newent stays in Newent.
    If only because it's so bloody difficult to get out of it!
  • Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    19 Rishi Sunak 5%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    19 Rishi Sunak 5%

At the start of tonight's Manchester hustings (on GB News)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuN1rPHX1Fg

Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    18.5 Rishi Sunak 5%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    19.5 Rishi Sunak 5%
    After the hustings, small support for Rishi:-

Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    17 Rishi Sunak 6%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    18 Rishi Sunak 6%
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Which is not cheap, especially for those on low incomes and 100 times the price of a first class stamp let alone a second
    What on earth has a first class stamp got to do with parcel deliveries

You really are out of touch

Big John please explain

In some ways good for Truss as it means she is bound to get a bounce as new PM next month

Big John please explain

I really do not find this surprising as the conservative party go navel gazing in the midst of the most acute crisis in decades

The 1922 need to take a hard look at its idiotic rules but then it is looking likely the conservative party will have quite some time in opposition in 2 years time
    Na. The big issues we need to deal with are

1) BBC wokeness
    2) the nasty EU
    3) workers

In that order. Or else

But is equally consistent with the view that Kemi supporters were right wingers who did not rate Liz Truss.
    Or the view that the last thing they needed was six weeks of two of the biggest beasts of the Boris government touring the country telling all and sundry how the government was failing on multiple issues.
    Mid evening all :)

Nice to have a fresher evening after the humidity of previous days.

Despite much hysteria and hyperbole, the second tube strike has been a bit of a non event. Yes, the tourists have been affected but many seem to have simply confirmed the new trend of Friday as main WFH day - apparently just 13% go into the office on a Friday - I'm one of them on occasion.

At East Ham, we had a very limited service running one way to West Ham and the other to Dag East but that has now stopped. It may well be local town centres won't be too badly affected and with trains running anyone who can get to a rail station can still come in to central London.

The political "blame game" has Shapps preaching his right-wing hellfire nonsense on one side and Mick Lynch of the RMT (who has obviously learnt from the Bob Crow playbook) on the other and poor old powerless Sadiq Khan caught between the Government rock and the Union hard place. The truth of the futility of the job of Mayor of London has been laid bare - I just wonder if Khan might prefer the Westminster benches after all in 2024.

The problem is the incendiary language of Shapps (who may well be angling for a higher rank job from Liz Truss) gets us nowhere slowly (rather like the strikes). As an occasional passenger, the notion of a 10% fare hike in January doesn't sit well but the post-pandemic operational model for passenger transport still hasn't really evolved and needs more thinking and certainly a lot less posturing from all sides.

The cricket was a salutary reminder however good you think you are you can still have an off day (or three off days). Better to stick to the action from God's Own Country (as I'm told).

I also see the latest Swedish poll has the Social Democrat vote approaching one third and the vote share very close to the combined total for the Moderates and Sweden Democrats both of whom are slipping back so at the moment it looks like a solid re-election for the centre-left bloc but there's a long way to go.
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:
    Not free cheese? I'm disappointed.
    HYUFD said:

Big John please explain

In some ways good for Truss as it means she is bound to get a bounce as new PM next month
    You'd better hope so. However, the danger now is a significant bounce still leaves her behind.
    It's a bit like supporting Man United and thinking it's at least a year before we can fall any lower.
  • HYUFD said:

Big John please explain

:)
    edited August 2022
    stodge said:

Mid evening all :)

Nice to have a fresher evening after the humidity of previous days.

Despite much hysteria and hyperbole, the second tube strike has been a bit of a non event. Yes, the tourists have been affected but many seem to have simply confirmed the new trend of Friday as main WFH day - apparently just 13% go into the office on a Friday - I'm one of them on occasion.

At East Ham, we had a very limited service running one way to West Ham and the other to Dag East but that has now stopped. It may well be local town centres won't be too badly affected and with trains running anyone who can get to a rail station can still come in to central London.

The political "blame game" has Shapps preaching his right-wing hellfire nonsense on one side and Mick Lynch of the RMT (who has obviously learnt from the Bob Crow playbook) on the other and poor old powerless Sadiq Khan caught between the Government rock and the Union hard place. The truth of the futility of the job of Mayor of London has been laid bare - I just wonder if Khan might prefer the Westminster benches after all in 2024.

The problem is the incendiary language of Shapps (who may well be angling for a higher rank job from Liz Truss) gets us nowhere slowly (rather like the strikes). As an occasional passenger, the notion of a 10% fare hike in January doesn't sit well but the post-pandemic operational model for passenger transport still hasn't really evolved and needs more thinking and certainly a lot less posturing from all sides.

The cricket was a salutary reminder however good you think you are you can still have an off day (or three off days). Better to stick to the action from God's Own Country (as I'm told).

I also see the latest Swedish poll has the Social Democrat vote approaching one third and the vote share very close to the combined total for the Moderates and Sweden Democrats both of whom are slipping back so at the moment it looks like a solid re-election for the centre-left bloc but there's a long way to go.

While in the Italian election Brothers of Italy lead in 2/3 of the latest polls and the right of centre coalition heads for a majority next month

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2022_Italian_general_election
  • HYUFD said:

Big John please explain

It very much depends how she deals with the immediate issue of energy bills and col

I am not calling this as nobody has yet seen her in office and her cabinet

It is clear the county have quite rightly lost patience with the inter warfare going on in the party which frankly is shocking
    HYUFD said:
    The tories deserve to be out of power for a friggin century. She is just talking utter shite now
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Lots of customers are cancelling Amazon Prime, as I might do. The price has just gone up, I do not get that many deliveries, and nor do I stream their videos (even with their spotty sports coverage).
    Watch the film about the Thai cave rescue first.
    ydoethur said:

Finnish PM takes a dope test.

Boris Johnson needn't bother, as it's obvious he is one.

I'm pretty sure that these videos of the Finnish PM were an attention seeking stunt. They are in line with the image that she is cultivating of herself. The other parties are stupid to have forced her to take a drug test. They should have just ignored it. If they wanted to make a clever comment, it should be that she should be more careful about being filmed by people she doesn't know at private parties.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    I think Mr Smithson's article is not quite right. There is no 'overwhelming' support in the betting for a hung parliament.

The markets make it 54% NOM, and 48% (26% Con, 22% Lab) that there will be a majority one way or the other.

Personally I think the figures should be more like 42 NOM, 42 Con Maj, 15 Lab majority.

This will shift once the new leader is settled in, but which way is anyone's guess. It depends so to speak on whether Truss turns into Mrs T or T May.

Those backing a Lab majority should be able to list the 123 extra seats they will take before plunging the farm.
    HYUFD said:
    I thought your original post was much better - I was going to make a rallying cry for punctuation.
This discussion has been closed.