Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Truss now favourite to be PM after next election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• I bet she also puts pineapples on her pizza.

Important news: woman opposite me on the train has just poured a pack of Maltesers into a full packet of salt and vinegar Discos.

M/F

https://twitter.com/jimconey/status/1557428068771307522

I'll never get his out of my mind. Prepare for a letter from my lawyers

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1557428528366362630

Salt on chocolate is the height of fine dining, or at least salted chocolate is a thing.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    Lennon said:

This is the bit that I don't understand - how the hell have you only just heard about it? I'm sure that I remember it being talked about on here about 3 years ago and these same arguments went back and forth. It's so ubiquitous it was used as a pretty integral plot point in The Undeclared War (Channel 4 Russian Cyber drama series) - so if it's being used in Channel 4 drama series it certainly isn't 'new' or 'up and coming' - which suggests that a fair number of people have looked at it, used it a few times and gone 'meh - useful occasionally' and moved on.

Yeah; whatever the merits or otherwise of the idea, if a tech company has been around for nine years iterating on their idea and still hasn't made the breakthrough to real serious profit-making success, the odds have to be pretty good that in fact they are never going to do so. Eventually the money will run out. (I used to work for a tech firm like this -- some neat ideas and interesting tech, enough promise to get multiple rounds of investment and keep going for the best part of a decade with nearly a hundred staff, but never quite actually being able to turn the promise into reality. Eventually the VCs decided that the market opportunity everybody hoped was there just clearly wasn't -- and they pulled the plug.)
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Never had @stodge down as a troll.

You live and learn.

I see from your avatar that you’ve officially anointed the new leader of the English.
    I acknowledge key figures contributing to the movement for Scottish self-governance. FM Truss has already earned her place.
    The opposite, she has made clear she will never allow indyref2 on her watch as PM
    I think someone ought to sit down with you and explain we have got the message, that you think the Tories would never allow indyref under the current or likely next incumbent. Why don't you post on somethijng more novel such as the engineering design and merits thereof of Warship diesel-electrics?
    As you keep posting pro indy rubbish so you will keep getting my standard response
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,254
    Lennon said:

Leon said:

My excuse is that I was distracted by Covid and aliens, so I only heard about them yesterday, like a boomer twit

This is the bit that I don't understand - how the hell have you only just heard about it? I'm sure that I remember it being talked about on here about 3 years ago and these same arguments went back and forth. It's so ubiquitous it was used as a pretty integral plot point in The Undeclared War (Channel 4 Russian Cyber drama series) - so if it's being used in Channel 4 drama series it certainly isn't 'new' or 'up and coming' - which suggests that a fair number of people have looked at it, used it a few times and gone 'meh - useful occasionally' and moved on.

Personally I think that it has its place - and is a nice idea. (The glastonbury tent location is a good example) - but it could have been SOOO much more useful with a bit of thought which is a bit frustrating.
    My family are all amazed that I haven’t heard of it before. My excuse is that I’ve been a bit distracted by global plague, war, and whatnot

But I am hardly alone. @SouthamObserver is not dim - he’s a businessman - and he says he only heard of w3w today, on here

As for your other point, you’re simply wrong. Do a Google news search, w3w is rapidly being taken up by courier companies, emergency services, car companies, and all this is happening right now. Maybe it’s reached a critical mass of awareness

https://www.retailtimes.co.uk/dhl-can-now-deliver-to-what3words-addresses-via-its-uk-parcel-app/
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Never had @stodge down as a troll.

You live and learn.

I see from your avatar that you’ve officially anointed the new leader of the English.
    I acknowledge key figures contributing to the movement for Scottish self-governance. FM Truss has already earned her place.
    The opposite, she has made clear she will never allow indyref2 on her watch as PM
    I think someone ought to sit down with you and explain we have got the message, that you think the Tories would never allow indyref under the current or likely next incumbent. Why don't you post on somethijng more novel such as the engineering design and merits thereof of Warship diesel-electrics?
    As you keep posting pro indy rubbish so you will keep getting my standard response
    But I don't say the same thing all the time, whatever you think of it. There's a difference.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

I bet she also puts pineapples on her pizza.

Important news: woman opposite me on the train has just poured a pack of Maltesers into a full packet of salt and vinegar Discos.

M/F

Salt on chocolate is the height of fine dining, or at least salted chocolate is a thing.
    It is wonderful. I used to love mini salted pretzels coated in chocolate. Haven’t seen them for a while but v good.

Same applies for chili with chocolate.

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Leon said:

Lennon said:

Leon said:

My excuse is that I was distracted by Covid and aliens, so I only heard about them yesterday, like a boomer twit

Personally I think that it has its place - and is a nice idea. (The glastonbury tent location is a good example) - but it could have been SOOO much more useful with a bit of thought which is a bit frustrating.
    My family are all amazed that I haven’t heard of it before. My excuse is that I’ve been a bit distracted by global plague, war, and whatnot

But I am hardly alone. @SouthamObserver is not dim - he’s a businessman - and he says he only heard of w3w today, on here

As for your other point, you’re simply wrong. Do a Google news search, w3w is rapidly being taken up by courier companies, emergency services, car companies, and all this is happening right now. Maybe it’s reached a critical mass of awareness

https://www.retailtimes.co.uk/dhl-can-now-deliver-to-what3words-addresses-via-its-uk-parcel-app/
    So precisely how much Leon cash is invested in the business?
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Lennon said:

Leon said:

None. You can’t invest. I would if I could. They’ve closed their crowdfunder after it was oversubscribed 8 times

I would buy shares tomorrow. If I could. The idea is so brilliant yet simple I believe it will be successfully monetised
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Hands up who thinks what3words is better than a postal address for locating a house?

Jesus Christ. Me. Because it is
    Wrong.

Due to things like earthquakes and continental drift the what3word square of people's homes has already shifted in just a few years.

There's a reason we don't use GPS coordinates over semantically meaningful names already.
    OK. Reason number 6 that What3Words is useless

BECAUSE CONTINENTAL DRIFT IS MOVING THE WORLD
    Yes, it is indeed a well known and longstanding problem for GPS based addressing systems (what3words is a GPS based addressing system)

If what3words were offering a solution then that would be super novel and cool.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

please estimate to the nearest millennium

1. how long it will take for the w3w for the front door of 23 Railway Cuttings to refer to the front door of 21 or 25 RC, assuming an orientation of RC which minimises the length of this time;

2. how many further millennia will be required before the confusion potentially caused afte the period in the answer to 1. above is not resolved by marking 21, 23 and 25 as 21, 23 and 25 respectively?

In your own time.
    Australia moves at almost 3 inches per year. The last time GPS coordinates were fixed was 1994. Locations in Aus have drifted a metre and a half. More than enough to change squares.

Earthquakes move locations considerably more than 3 inches.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Hands up who thinks what3words is better than a postal address for locating a house?

Wrong.

Due to things like earthquakes and continental drift the what3word square of people's homes has already shifted in just a few years.

There's a reason we don't use GPS coordinates over semantically meaningful names already.

Yes, it is indeed a well known and longstanding problem for GPS based addressing systems (what3words is a GPS based addressing system)

They aren't.
    Not worth responding to the poster, but to the guys who liked this: all w3w claims to be doing is interpreting and representing the underlying GPS data. Do you never use GPS guidance on foot or in a car or in a GPS enabled plane because Oooh, it isn't addressing this underlying issue or trying to bring about world peace? What's the difference?

I have never heard such portentous bullshit. By way of analogy, the NASA navigators who planned all the moon landings were sort of marginally and peripherally aware of Einstein and SR and GR, and completely ignored them and proceeded on the basis that Newtonian physics told the whole story, because the differences were too small to bother with. And I am pretty sure they genuinely understood Einstein...
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Special Kherson Cat on twitter reporting from his sources on the Russian losses yesterday: bit more than ten!

"7m
    One of the largest 🇺🇦 telegram media, referring to its internal sources, writes about such 🇷🇺 losses at Saky airport in Crimea. https://t.me/UAonlii/34939

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1557429484080570368?cxt=HHwWgIC9laf3jJ0rAAAA

While profoundly enjoyable, one would prefer an independent source.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Leon said:

Lennon said:

Leon said:

Looks like it won a lot of attention in August 2019 - at the time @Gallowgate told the world about it via pb.com - but didn't sustain the interest. Popular in Mongolia, though.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=What3words
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    I can’t believe we’re all relying on GPS to get around, given that the continents are literally whizzing about the place, rendering GPS useless
    Austalia isn't where you think it is (if you use GPS).
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

EPG said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Vaguely on topic - I don't discount a Conservative-SNP coalition after the next election.

Before all the partisans on both sides start venting - this is politics, remember. Do the SNP really think they can force Starmer to offer them an independence referendum as a condition for their support? Let's assume they can - the problem for the SNP is it's a risk - what happens if they lose again? What happens if they win?

Here's an alternative scenario - the SNP offer a minority Conservative administration at Westminster but the quid pro quo is further and extended devolution - what could be called IINO - Independence In Name Only. Everything up to Independence without actual Independence - complete and unrestricted tax-raising powers for Holyrood, autonomy on all matters and a guarantee from the Conservatives the money will keep on flowing (essentially it's the deal the DUP got from May).

The Conservatives get to govern the UK and keep the integrity of the Union while the SNP get all the benefits of running their own country without any of the actual problems or issues.

Starmer has the same problem as Sturgeon - what happens if the Independence vote passes? What happens if it doesn't?

I think it would revive SLAB and guarantee a unionist majority in Holyrood forever. Even worse than losing a referendum - giving up the moral claim to have one.
    "Moral claim" - I have no clue what that means, in politics it means absolutely nothing. Let's not forget - the defeat in 2014 didn't break the power of the SNP - it enhanced it. What will the political impact of a referendum victory - whither (or indeed wither) the SNP? UKIP achieved its purpose and ceased to exist - the SNP might do the same.

Conversely, losing again will politically strengthen the SNP but it's dominant now so why rock the boat? As I've argued on here, the status quo suits all sides.

IF we get a Hung Parliament, Sturgeon will go into any negotiations with (presumably) Truss and Starmer publicly arguing for another referendum but privately, I think, her support will be contingent on what Holyrood can get in terms of money and power.

Let me put Davey in Sturgeon's place. IF the LDs do well enough to be the kingmakers again, Davey may well want STV for all elections without a referendum but he knows he won't get it. Sturgeon knows she doesn't need promises of a referendum to get what she wants in terms of governing.
    If there's a referendum on the back of a Tory-SNP deal, No will win by an landslide and the SNP will get dumped out of office by SLAB at the following Scottish Parliament elections. Much of the reason SLAB collapsed to begin with was because 'Labour got into bed with the Tories' in 2014.
    If Sturgeon signals she'd be willing to a deal with the Tories if Labour won't, then I think they'll just tell her to go ahead and do it if she dare. Labour would win a landslide at the next general election (while recovering both in Scotland and in the Red Wall), so it works out really nicely for them.
    Er, you're completely forgetting the Scottish Greens. Markedly larger than the LDs and a very likely repository for dissatisfied pro-indy votes. Slab are very firmly Unionist, anyway. And the next Holyrood election would be along soon, anyway.
    Nah. SGP can attract the loudly studenty vote, the kind of people who reckon pro-trans is their generation's moral crusade. But today's SNP has a much broader reach, and in particular it has a deep reach among normal people in areas where SLAB are the only rivals and we have already seen SLAB benefit in this way in 2017.
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

1. how long it will take for the w3w for the front door of 23 Railway Cuttings to refer to the front door of 21 or 25 RC, assuming an orientation of RC which minimises the length of this time;

2. how many further millennia will be required before the confusion potentially caused afte the period in the answer to 1. above is not resolved by marking 21, 23 and 25 as 21, 23 and 25 respectively?

In your own time.
    Australia moves at almost 3 inches per year. The last time GPS coordinates were fixed was 1994. Locations in Aus have drifted a metre and a half. More than enough to change squares.

Gosh, intercontinental flights definitely gonna miss the runway at SYD then. good point.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Special Kherson Cat on twitter reporting from his sources on the Russian losses yesterday: bit more than ten!

"7m
    One of the largest 🇺🇦 telegram media, referring to its internal sources, writes about such 🇷🇺 losses at Saky airport in Crimea. https://t.me/UAonlii/34939

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1557429484080570368?cxt=HHwWgIC9laf3jJ0rAAAA

That would be hillarious if confirmed. Go “Special Kherson Cat”.
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

So in some areas they might have to partially update it once every 20 years? That’s the app killer?

My god, they might have to send out upgrades once every 2 or 3 decades. Someone warn Apple, this is unprecedented
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    edited August 2022

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

I suspect the yanks, and therefore the UKR know, from satellite images. By the look of the burnt out plane, cars and scale of the explosions there may well be shrapnel damage to what looks like intact craft from altitude though.

There is interesting speculation that these missiles are indeed home grown, and that this project has accelerated:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1557055253475901441?t=HaxF82pknbX4yqYkA86gLA&s=19

The Grom (Thunder) is a new Ukrainian short-range ballistic missile, that is currently being developed.
    Facts:
    Number of missiles-2
    Maximum road speed-70 km/h
    Range-800 ~ 1 000 km https://t.co/WgzDMezVni

One under rated aspect of this war is not just that the morale and motivation of the Ukranian troops is higher, but also their intelligence and education. Russia relies on morlocks, but Ukraine had lots of university graduates and techy types flock to the colours.
  • Betfair next prime minister (next month)
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Immediately after Rishi/Nick Robinson:-

Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

Gosh, intercontinental flights definitely gonna miss the runway at SYD then. good point.
    Just as well they have an ILS then!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    I'm guessing Sunak will be on the back bench under a Truss administration after today's Blue on Blue firefight.

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Lennon said:

Leon said:

None. You can’t invest. I would if I could. They’ve closed their crowdfunder after it was oversubscribed 8 times

I would buy shares tomorrow. If I could. The idea is so brilliant yet simple I believe it will be successfully monetised
    So why didn't you subscribe?

I like the idea, but just don't see any money.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    Anyone want to invest in my business plan?

We take the contents of old reactor cooling ponds off your hands, Free.

Then we start a satellite launching company, using solid fuel rockets

Some little time later, we start selling strategic deterrence. Monthly payment plan. Think Spotify for nukes. All done through a mobile App - iApocalypse.

Just sign into your account (facial recognition) check your balance, and destroy any 3 word location on the planet.

No liability for accidentally nuking the mother-in-law because of the whole plurals thing….
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

Plate tectonics. Continental drift is so passe.
    There's no need to get all tectical.
    Foxy said:

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

I suspect the yanks, and therefore the UKR know, from satellite images. By the look of the burnt out plane, cars and scale of the explosions there may well be shrapnel damage to what looks like intact craft from altitude though.

There is interesting speculation that these missiles are indeed home grown, and that this project has accelerated:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1557055253475901441?t=HaxF82pknbX4yqYkA86gLA&s=19

The Grom (Thunder) is a new Ukrainian short-range ballistic missile, that is currently being developed.
    Facts:
    Number of missiles-2

One under rated aspect of this war is not just that the morale and motivation of the Ukranian troops is higher, but also their intelligence and education. Russia relies on morlocks, but Ukraine had lots of university graduates and techy types flock to the colours.
    There was cloud in the way of the commercial satellite imagery people on twitter were hoping to look at today.
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

It's almost like there is a difference between using GPS for intercontinental navigation than as a substitute for a street address.
    pm215 said:

Lennon said:

Yeah; whatever the merits or otherwise of the idea, if a tech company has been around for nine years iterating on their idea and still hasn't made the breakthrough to real serious profit-making success, the odds have to be pretty good that in fact they are never going to do so. Eventually the money will run out. (I used to work for a tech firm like this -- some neat ideas and interesting tech, enough promise to get multiple rounds of investment and keep going for the best part of a decade with nearly a hundred staff, but never quite actually being able to turn the promise into reality. Eventually the VCs decided that the market opportunity everybody hoped was there just clearly wasn't -- and they pulled the plug.)
    It’s been downloaded more than 30 million times - that was 2021. It might have doubled since (it’s doubling every year, roughly)

If they can make 100m users they just have to make $1 per user from the app - just once a year - (maybe in-app ads?) - and that’s a yearly income of $100m

Of course it might crash and burn tomorrow, but it’s not impossible to see it making proper money
    Leon said:

pm215 said:

Lennon said:

It’s been downloaded more than 30 million times - that was 2021. It might have doubled since (it’s doubling every year, roughly)

If they can make 100m users they just have to make $1 per user from the app - just once a year - (maybe in-app ads?) - and that’s a yearly income of $100m

Of course it might crash and burn tomorrow, but it’s not impossible to see it making proper money
    With charging comes support.
    Leon said:

pm215 said:

Lennon said:

Who are their customers, paying them money?

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

I saw some pictures via twitter which made a fairly good case that a flight line of 9 aircraft got hammered.

Yes, a flight line. No revetments or bunkers….

If it true about the special forces stuff, what I find interesting is where they got the idea and possibly the training.

{Lieutenant Colonel Robert Mayne has entered the chat and started punching people}
    edited August 2022

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

I saw some pictures via twitter which made a fairly good case that a flight line of 9 aircraft got hammered.

If it true about the special forces stuff, what I find interesting is where they got the idea and possibly the training.

{Lieutenant Colonel Robert Mayne has entered the chat and started punching people}
    Say it really quietly, but we know exactly where they got the training…. :+1:
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited August 2022

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

Is Lt. Col. Mayne punching people because he never was awarded the Victoria Cross?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    HYUFD said:

As I've already had a pop at one side of this rather sterile debate, let me, as you've always been civil in our dealings in the past, offer this thought.

I completely understand there are no circumstances under which a Conservative Government would ever offer another Independence Referendum but does that mean you cannot contemplate a minority Conservative administration being supported on a C&S basis by the SNP?

The basis would be, as I said before, everything short of Independence. The granting of further powers including tax raising to Holyrood and additional financial support for Scotland (not, I'd argue, far removed from the deal May did with Arlene Foster's DUP in 2017) but no independence referendum and the SNP to support Conservative legislation affecting the whole of the UK only.

That in effect keeps the Conservatives in Government - is that a price you would be willing to pay or would you rather go into Opposition facing a Lab-LD-SNP majority administration equally not having a second referendum?

This is the SNP's Gordian Knot - none of the English parties want to be the ones to "lose" Scotland so none of them will offer a Referendum. Starmer has worked out if he offers a referendum and the independence vote is passed Labour will be out of Westminster for a generation. He might also have reasoned if he offers a referendum and the status quo is maintained, what's the political benefit for Labour? If the SNP fractures or weakens after a second loss, all the Unionist parties will likely revive.

• Sandpit said:

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

In the UK thanks to the UK and Swedes.

Hurrah for the Swedes allying themselves with the UK and joining NATO.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    57m
    All Sunak's MP backers should now be wondering if they want to let him toxify them within the Tory Party for years, or whether it'd be better & more sustainable for them now to publicly distance themselves from him.

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

It's almost like there is a difference between using GPS for intercontinental navigation than as a substitute for a street address.
    GPS is brilliant. Miraculous. We all use it all the time

But it’s fiddly and non-intuitive and really tricky if you’re in a foreign country and you’re trying to navigate in Japanese or Armenian, if only there was an easy, global, universal, simple, memorable three word code to help anyone identify any precise spot anywhere on earth, right down to individual shrubs.

That would be even more miraculous, even though the continental plates are constantly whirring about like ferrets on crack
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

So in some areas they might have to partially update it once every 20 years? That’s the app killer?

My god, they might have to send out upgrades once every 2 or 3 decades. Someone warn Apple, this is unprecedented
    But the bonkers thing is that w2w is an overlay on the basic system, so this is not its problem. It is so dumb, it's like saying I can't go to London tomorrow because the earth travels about 1.6 million miles round the sun each day so that's about how much further away it will be.

I say "frame of reference" but it seems to come out as "hyjkj db fdthjjuuh" to this poster.
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

GPS is brilliant. Miraculous. We all use it all the time

But it’s fiddly and non-intuitive and really tricky if you’re in a foreign country and you’re trying to navigate in Japanese or Armenian, if only there was an easy, global, universal, simple, memorable three word code to help anyone identify any precise spot anywhere on earth, right down to individual shrubs.

That would be even more miraculous, even though the continental plates are constantly whirring about like ferrets on crack
    I think you're conflating other things with GPS.
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

But the bonkers thing is that w2w is an overlay on the basic system, so this is not its problem. It is so dumb, it's like saying I can't go to London tomorrow because the earth travels about 1.6 million miles round the sun each day so that's about how much further away it will be.

I say "frame of reference" but it seems to come out as "hyjkj db fdthjjuuh" to this poster.
    I know, I shouldn’t even argue with this

The animus against this thing is bizarre. It seems to ANNOY people quite bitterly

Is it jealousy? Luddism? People who’ve lost investments in start ups ? Strange

Sandpit said:

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

In the UK thanks to the UK and Swedes.

Hurrah for the Swedes allying themselves with the UK and joining NATO.
    You’re welcome.
    rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

They will sell in 2023 to a tech company (or to a GIS player) for a sum in the low hundreds of millions of dollars. The VCs will wash their faces. The founders will walk away very wealthy, but nowhere near Demis level rich.

It will have been a moderate success, held back by the fact that while their tech is interesting, it is difficult to monetize well.

Demis as in "Forever and Ever"?
    Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Wrong.

They aren't.
    OK, in your own time:

In your own time.

"it's almost like" is one of the internet's most reliable micro brain indicators these days.

///areas.fairly.spends puts me at the Sydney Opera House, these days. You want to explain over what time frame it is going to put me somewhere else, and why different considerations apply to that than to the location of an airport runway, or is it almost like you don't understand what you think you are on about?
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

As I've already had a pop at one side of this rather sterile debate, let me, as you've always been civil in our dealings in the past, offer this thought.

I completely understand there are no circumstances under which a Conservative Government would ever offer another Independence Referendum but does that mean you cannot contemplate a minority Conservative administration being supported on a C&S basis by the SNP?

The basis would be, as I said before, everything short of Independence. The granting of further powers including tax raising to Holyrood and additional financial support for Scotland (not, I'd argue, far removed from the deal May did with Arlene Foster's DUP in 2017) but no independence referendum and the SNP to support Conservative legislation affecting the whole of the UK only.

That in effect keeps the Conservatives in Government - is that a price you would be willing to pay or would you rather go into Opposition facing a Lab-LD-SNP majority administration equally not having a second referendum?

This is the SNP's Gordian Knot - none of the English parties want to be the ones to "lose" Scotland so none of them will offer a Referendum. Starmer has worked out if he offers a referendum and the independence vote is passed Labour will be out of Westminster for a generation. He might also have reasoned if he offers a referendum and the status quo is maintained, what's the political benefit for Labour? If the SNP fractures or weakens after a second loss, all the Unionist parties will likely revive.

stodge, what's in it for the SNP? You reckon they can win a majority at Holyrood while in coalition (yes but) with the Tories?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    57m
    All Sunak's MP backers should now be wondering if they want to let him toxify them within the Tory Party for years, or whether it'd be better & more sustainable for them now to publicly distance themselves from him.

To be fair, all politics is a gamble.

IF the Conservatives go down to defeat under Truss in 2024, could Sunak run again against Badenoch to lead the survivors out of the valley of the shadow and back to the promised land?

The experience of parties losing power after a long period is the message they've lost takes several years to reach the brain so it could be Badenoch will take over, lose and perhaps Sunak, who still has plenty of time, could return as the "Cameron" type candidate in say 2029 or early 2030s and bring the party back to a more centrist series of policy positions.

Sunak as PM in 2034 - he'd only be 54 years old so perfectly possible.
    rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

They will sell in 2023 to a tech company (or to a GIS player) for a sum in the low hundreds of millions of dollars. The VCs will wash their faces. The founders will walk away very wealthy, but nowhere near Demis level rich.

It will have been a moderate success, held back by the fact that while their tech is interesting, it is difficult to monetize well.

You’re somewhat confusing w3w the company with w3w the concept

All that you describe is possible. Maybe likely

But that doesn’t mean the concept will die. A universal three word hyper exact global post code is such a genius idea and so beneficial to so many it will happen. It makes so many things better

It’s a bit like Uber style ride sharing. Uber could die tomorrow but their idea will survive, worldwide, as long as there are cars and drivers

Tho I note that Uber is still with us, despite many predix of demise
  • I'm guessing Sunak will be on the back bench under a Truss administration after today's Blue on Blue firefight.

He probably was anyway. Didn't he say as much in his resignation letter?

If he can't sign up to Truss's worldview (and it's clear that his belief in arithmetic is too strong to do that), he can't serve under her in any capacity.

The worst you can say is that, having put up with Boris for so long then it's a bit rich to not give Doris the benefit of the doubt.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

But that doesn’t mean the concept will die. A universal three word hyper exact global post code is such a genius idea and so beneficial to so many it will happen. It makes so many things better

It’s a bit like Uber style ride sharing. Uber could die tomorrow but their idea will survive, worldwide, as long as there are cars and drivers

So are your investing in an idea, or are you investing in a company?

The idea of Uber or w3w, is brilliant, but the reality is -$26bn and no meaningful revenue.

A genius idea, is useless commercially if it can’t be monetised.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

Forgive me if this is where this all started, but I downloaded it ages ago to find out if that might be how CorrectHorseBattery got his name (spoiler - I dont think so).

Not used it since but also not uninstalled as i can see it could be useful. But i dont see how they're making money from it.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

The idea of Uber or w3w, is brilliant, but the reality is -$26bn and no meaningful revenue.

See also what everybody said about amazon for the first 20 years of its life
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2022

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

Forgive me if this is where this all started, but I downloaded it ages ago to find out if that might be how CorrectHorseBattery got his name (spoiler - I dont think so).

Not used it since but also not uninstalled as i can see it could be useful. But i dont see how they're making money from it.
    Big spoiler: https://xkcd.com/936/
    Sandpit said:

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

Satellite images are in. There's a lot of black shadows in the shape of a memory of a plane.

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

That seems a rather extreme alternative to asking him.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

A genius idea which makes the world better is intrinsically a Good Thing, surely?

If w3w cannot make it pay by themselves, then I am sure Google Maps will buy it for $200m, incorporate it into Google Maps, and give it away as part of G-maps, because it is still a genius idea and it will make Google Maps better and easier

Win win for us all

So I would personally invest in the company with my own cash as I think you are very likely to get a good return, one way or t'other
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

A genius idea which makes the world better is intrinsically a Good Thing, surely?

If w3w cannot make it pay by themselves, then I am sure Google Maps will buy it for $200m, incorporate it into Google Maps, and give it away as part of G-maps, because it is still a genius idea and it will make Google Maps better and easier

Win win for us all

So I would personally invest in the company with my own cash as I think you are very likely to get a good return, one way or t'other
    The only reason Google would buy it, is to stop Apple Maps using it. Is that a good thing?
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

See also what everybody said about amazon for the first 20 years of its life
    It was very clear what Amazon was up to though, they were re-investing every penny of profit into growing the company - and the company was growing massively, exponentially even.
  • rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

As did I :-)
    edited August 2022
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

Win win for us all

The only reason Google would buy it, is to stop Apple Maps using it. Is that a good thing?
    You still don't understand it, do you? It's a really good, clever idea, in and of itself

All that matters is that it gets taken up by the world as a universal standard, because that would be incredibly useful for millions of people worldwide, especially in poorer countries. And it saves lives. So I don't mind who does it, tho it's pleasing it is a British idea. Do you mind? Why?
    First satellite images of the airbase in Crimea on twitter.

"Comparison of August 9th and August 10th imagery show very large craters, many destroyed aircraft, and destroyed buildings."

https://mobile.twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1557440583878299651

• Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    57m

The backers have left it too late; Liz Truss will not change her mind about them at this late stage; if Truss falls in 2024, then their time will come.

Blue on blue attacks that toxify the party (rather than just Sunak's backers) are mainly coming from Team Truss; unless she reins in her supporters, this will continue unless the contest ends early but it is hard to see what she can offer Rishi.

The 1922 Committee has ballsed this up. They might be able to curtail the process, cancel the remaining hustings and bring forward the vote. But while this would end the blue on blue attacks, it might generate new ones with its side-effect of throwing Boris out early.
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

Win win for us all

You still don't understand it, do you? It's a really good, clever idea, in and of itself

All that matters is that it gets taken up by the world as a universal standard, because that would be incredibly useful for millions of people worldwide, especially in poorer countries. And it saves lives. So I don't mind who does it, tho it's pleasing it is a British idea. Do you mind? Why?
    If it’s “taken up as a universal standard”, then the company behind it has no value at all.

The company only has value, because they’re hoping that one of Google or Apple will buy it, to deny it to the other.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151

I'm guessing Sunak will be on the back bench under a Truss administration after today's Blue on Blue firefight.

He probably was anyway. Didn't he say as much in his resignation letter?

If he can't sign up to Truss's worldview (and it's clear that his belief in arithmetic is too strong to do that), he can't serve under her in any capacity.

The worst you can say is that, having put up with Boris for so long then it's a bit rich to not give Doris the benefit of the doubt.
    Considering what happened to Jeremy Hunt, that's probably his political career over if so. He needs to be in the Cabinet to remain relevant.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    ///admiral.moth.ducks

Very memorable. I like it.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2022
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

Satellite images are in. There's a lot of black shadows in the shape of a memory of a plane.
    https://nitter.42l.fr/OSINTua/status/1557440576806608897#m

What on earth did they use?

I doubt this was special forces but it will keep the Russians guessing and/or paranoid for a little while.
    LOL, they smashed the sh!t out of that airbase. A dozen dead fighter planes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1557441267109400576
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

My what3words forecast:

Win win for us all

If it’s “taken up as a universal standard”, then the company behind it has no value at all.

The company only has value, because they’re hoping that one of Google or Apple will buy it, to deny it to the other.
    If it becomes a universal standard I predict that many companies will use it, in multiple profitable ways as yet unknown
    How long would it take a Google 3/4 word standard to eclipse w3w in user base? A year?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Foxy said:

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

Facts:
    Number of missiles-2

Rather looks like the Ukrainians had been holding back some home-grown weapons "just in case". Now that they have HIMARS, they can unleash this store - to huge effect. And outside the area invaded by Russia in Feb 2022, which looks like isn't allowed with the US supplied rocketry.
    rcs1000 said:

///admiral.moth.ducks

You just doxxed yourself with extreme accuracy!

I have just been to ///nails.boil.clock
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

///admiral.moth.ducks

There's a new big crater roughly centred on ///munch.query.engagingly but a lot larger than a single 3m x 3m square...
    Sandpit said:

Suggestion they smashed the hell out of a lot pilots too....
  • Sandpit said:

I await Dynamo explaining this horrific war crime on peaceful Russians.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

As for how W3W makes money, that's an interesting question

But one obvious way is advertising on the app. If everyone in the world downloads the app then that's 8bn pairs of eyes on one app, and tiny fleeting ads will still make huge money

And of course you could tailor the ads to where people are going

Are you looking for ///octupus.scarlet.bra ? You know there's a lovely restaurant 3 yards from here that just got a rave review? Here's a new cheaper supermarket. This bar next door has a happy hour

You could even direct info to people inside buildings

"Yes, it's nice in that corner of the bar (///fake.dildo.knapper) but we also have a beer garden, which is empty right now"

I remember when I first saw Vivino I thought "wow, this is so clever, but how on earth do they make cash?" - of course a couple of years later they started selling their own recommended wines. Easy, really

The W3W business model is to license the tech to everyone for very low rates, and to get everyone hooked on it. Later, when it is ubiquitous, they raise the cost per lookup from 0.1c to 3c (or whatever).

I don't foresee any likelihood they will be able to dethrone Google Maps, nor would they want to try. That's absurdly expensive, people will only use one mapping app, and traffic info is more useful than the three word thing.
    They expressly say they are trying to complement Google Maps, not compete with it

Another part of its genius (I'll stop in a minute) is the way it sells itself. There are endless news stories like this (from Canada, four days ago):

"A woman was belaying with a group of climbers at the base of a 70-foot cliff near the Buffalo Crag Lookout when a falling rock struck her. Early reports indicate the rock caused an injury to her arm, ribs and head.

"The area is in a remote section of the park, along a dirt trail more than one kilometre away from the nearest road and the resulting rescue took an estimated two hours. Police, firefighters and EMS all responded, and were able to locate the injured woman using the newly rolled out what3words app."

https://www.thestar.com/local-milton/news/2022/08/05/milton-rock-climbing-incident-leaves-woman-with-serious-injuries.html

Everyone will want this app. Literally, everyone. Just in case. It *could* become as ubiquitous as Uber, or even bigger (if Google doesn't try to crush them)
    You do know know that this has been around for years, even though you’ve just discovered it today?

You’re like the 13-year-old boy who just found out there’s porn on the internet.
    I presume you invested heavily back in 2017, then, and you are now sitting on a profit of several million quid?
    Nope, becuase:

1. In 2017, I didn’t have two beans to rub together, trying to get my own business off the ground.

2. Like so many of the last decade’s VC-funded tech startups, it’s difficult to see how they ever plan to turn a profit, nor what is their business model, beyond hoping the next sucker buys in at a higher price and the wages keep getting paid.
    Their VC investors will be hoping they are bought by Google or other tech giant. That will almost certainly happen, hence the crazy valuation sans profits, unless there is some kind of technical or intellectual property problem between now and then.
    Yes, they’ll be hoping that Google and Apple get in a bidding war to make their open system proprietary.

Sadly, that point may have passed, at least for the next year or two. The only tech M&A activity happing now is distress sales, as the VC investors can’t bear to see writedowns on their valuations.

How would you make an open system proprietary, though? There is no patent protection you can get and there are no trade secrets you can rely on.

Uber cannot patent its genius idea - ridesharing with GPS on smartphones (as we can see from competitors like Bolt, Lyft and so on)

Yet Uber is worth $17B

There is value in simply being first with a great idea, even if people then copy it

W3W will be hoping this applies to them. If they continue with rapid growth then they will soon become the default global model for this (2-3 years?) and it will be very difficult to challenge (indeed harder than challenging Uber, maybe)

Yep, I guess that makes sense. But they need to keep finding the cash to burn.
    They recently did a crowdfund asking for £1m. They got £4m after 24 hours and now have £8m. You cannot invest any more, it is oversubscribed. They are drowning in money
    They have a year and a half of cash in hand at current burn rate at the latest accounts
    You have some personal, bitter hatred for them. I suggest we desist as it's not good for your blood pressure
    Reading a balance sheet is not a “personal, bitter hatred”. It’s basic accountancy. If only that profession were as passionate as you imply.

Sandpit said:

The Nazis of the Azov Regiment, took out those peaceful Su-27s.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

As for how W3W makes money, that's an interesting question

But one obvious way is advertising on the app. If everyone in the world downloads the app then that's 8bn pairs of eyes on one app, and tiny fleeting ads will still make huge money

And of course you could tailor the ads to where people are going

Are you looking for ///octupus.scarlet.bra ? You know there's a lovely restaurant 3 yards from here that just got a rave review? Here's a new cheaper supermarket. This bar next door has a happy hour

You could even direct info to people inside buildings

"Yes, it's nice in that corner of the bar (///fake.dildo.knapper) but we also have a beer garden, which is empty right now"

I remember when I first saw Vivino I thought "wow, this is so clever, but how on earth do they make cash?" - of course a couple of years later they started selling their own recommended wines. Easy, really

The W3W business model is to license the tech to everyone for very low rates, and to get everyone hooked on it. Later, when it is ubiquitous, they raise the cost per lookup from 0.1c to 3c (or whatever).

I don't foresee any likelihood they will be able to dethrone Google Maps, nor would they want to try. That's absurdly expensive, people will only use one mapping app, and traffic info is more useful than the three word thing.
    They expressly say they are trying to complement Google Maps, not compete with it

Another part of its genius (I'll stop in a minute) is the way it sells itself. There are endless news stories like this (from Canada, four days ago):

"A woman was belaying with a group of climbers at the base of a 70-foot cliff near the Buffalo Crag Lookout when a falling rock struck her. Early reports indicate the rock caused an injury to her arm, ribs and head.

"The area is in a remote section of the park, along a dirt trail more than one kilometre away from the nearest road and the resulting rescue took an estimated two hours. Police, firefighters and EMS all responded, and were able to locate the injured woman using the newly rolled out what3words app."

https://www.thestar.com/local-milton/news/2022/08/05/milton-rock-climbing-incident-leaves-woman-with-serious-injuries.html

Everyone will want this app. Literally, everyone. Just in case. It *could* become as ubiquitous as Uber, or even bigger (if Google doesn't try to crush them)
    You do know know that this has been around for years, even though you’ve just discovered it today?

You’re like the 13-year-old boy who just found out there’s porn on the internet.
    I presume you invested heavily back in 2017, then, and you are now sitting on a profit of several million quid?
    Nope, becuase:

1. In 2017, I didn’t have two beans to rub together, trying to get my own business off the ground.

2. Like so many of the last decade’s VC-funded tech startups, it’s difficult to see how they ever plan to turn a profit, nor what is their business model, beyond hoping the next sucker buys in at a higher price and the wages keep getting paid.
    Their VC investors will be hoping they are bought by Google or other tech giant. That will almost certainly happen, hence the crazy valuation sans profits, unless there is some kind of technical or intellectual property problem between now and then.
    Yes, they’ll be hoping that Google and Apple get in a bidding war to make their open system proprietary.

Sadly, that point may have passed, at least for the next year or two. The only tech M&A activity happing now is distress sales, as the VC investors can’t bear to see writedowns on their valuations.

How would you make an open system proprietary, though? There is no patent protection you can get and there are no trade secrets you can rely on.

Uber cannot patent its genius idea - ridesharing with GPS on smartphones (as we can see from competitors like Bolt, Lyft and so on)

Yet Uber is worth $17B

There is value in simply being first with a great idea, even if people then copy it

W3W will be hoping this applies to them. If they continue with rapid growth then they will soon become the default global model for this (2-3 years?) and it will be very difficult to challenge (indeed harder than challenging Uber, maybe)

Yep, I guess that makes sense. But they need to keep finding the cash to burn.
    They recently did a crowdfund asking for £1m. They got £4m after 24 hours and now have £8m. You cannot invest any more, it is oversubscribed. They are drowning in money
    They have a year and a half of cash in hand at current burn rate at the latest accounts
    You have some personal, bitter hatred for them. I suggest we desist as it's not good for your blood pressure
    Reading a balance sheet is not a “personal, bitter hatred”. It’s basic accountancy. If only that profession were as passionate as you imply.
    Dear sweet @Alistair has given us about 7 different sometimes contradictory reasons why W3W must fail. I am intrigued by the psychology at work, here
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The Nazis of the Azov Regiment, took out those peaceful Su-27s.
    ....which have spent the last six months scattering rose petals on the people of Ukraine.
    Looking like the +9 Ukraine added to their count of destroyed Russian aircraft was an underestimate of the damage they did to the Saki airbase.
  • Sandpit said:

And Dura_Ace claiming it's all Ukrainian lies.
    Incidentally, this is why we should all be cheering on W3W and hoping it takes over the world

This is the BBC just an hour ago. It is insane that this is a problem when W3W have literally and completely solved it

"How do you make deliveries without having a street name?

That's the problem the Gambian government is trying to resolve. Some cities and towns still have unnamed streets making the job of couriers a challenge. 🚚📦"

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1557428845040500736?s=20&t=-77FJLOG519chXyJPUAJ_Q
  • What I don't "get" about W3W is the adjacent grid squares have totally different names.

In a normal grid pattern, you have, say, square "10x, 50y", so the next square east would be "11x, 50y", and the next square north would be "10x, 51y".

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

Is Lt. Col. Mayne punching people because he never was awarded the Victoria Cross?
    Mayne was apparently completely uninterested in medals. He was just an apocalyptically angry man.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

What I don't "get" about W3W is the adjacent grid squares have totally different names.

In a normal grid pattern, you have, say, square "10x, 50y", so the next square east would be "11x, 50y", and the next square north would be "10x, 51y".

It means you have zero chance of being directed to the wrong place nearby. Using the approach W3W have saying a single wrong word will take you to a different town / city / country so any mistake should be spotted.

What I don't "get" about W3W is the adjacent grid squares have totally different names.

That's a feature not a bug. It's deliberately done so that each square stands out, uniquely, compared to its neighbours

It is to reduce ambiguity between nearby places. Many countries take a similar approach in their postcodes.
    Leon said:

Incidentally, this is why we should all be cheering on W3W and hoping it takes over the world

This is the BBC just an hour ago. It is insane that this is a problem when W3W have literally and completely solved it

"How do you make deliveries without having a street name?

That's the problem the Gambian government is trying to resolve. Some cities and towns still have unnamed streets making the job of couriers a challenge. 🚚📦"

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1557428845040500736?s=20&t=-77FJLOG519chXyJPUAJ_Q

Location on your phone. Job done.

Sandpit said:

Suggestion they smashed the hell out of a lot pilots too....
    Oh well. Smashed-up pilots are even better than smashed-up planes. Much more difficult to replace, they don’t grow on trees and take hundreds of hours to train.

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

"7m

📍8 SU-27
    📍6 Mi-8,
    📍5 SU-24
    📍4 SU-30M
    📍1 ІL-20RT
    📍4 ammunition depots"

https://nitter.42l.fr/OSINTua/status/1557440576806608897#m

What on earth did they use?

I doubt this was special forces but it will keep the Russians guessing and/or paranoid for a little while.
    Could be a combination of things - multiple systems/capabilities. The Ukrainians apparently have been using their elaborate target control system to plan simultaneous attacks by different systems, against targets closer to the front than this.

That's deliberate and good. As it is not a semantically meaningful naming system you want each square to de distinct because they are an attempt to be precise, you don't want similar words next to each other as that increases the chance of failing to get the right exact location.

Alas W3W's algorithm pits similar words far, far to close to each other.

"Comparison of August 9th and August 10th imagery show very large craters, many destroyed aircraft, and destroyed buildings."

Huh?

Clearly two very different geographical areas.
  • Given all the talk of Mmmbop's wonderfulness as a pop song the other day, did anyone notice the quite lovely cover I posted of it by Lucy Schwartz with Scary Pockets?

Other than being the original, and being sung by teenage brothers, I can't think of anything about the original that beats this cover

And she's even prettier than the one who looks like a girl

Please tell me why this isn't better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiShsfvbFUA
    Sandpit said:

It's like the Ukrainians sank an aircraft carrier.....

Huh?

Second image is the bottom left corner of the first.

Also, scroll down the thread for direct side by side comparisons.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Just watched Rishi Sunak being interviewed by the excellent Nick Robinson. As someone who has no vote I have to say I found him very impressive. He's head and shoulders above Liz Truss. In fact the greatest praise I can give him is that he's uncannily reminiscent of Tony Blair.

Alistair said:

That's deliberate and good. As it is not a semantically meaningful naming system you want each square to de distinct because they are an attempt to be precise, you don't want similar words next to each other as that increases the chance of failing to get the right exact location.

Alas W3W's algorithm pits similar words far, far to close to each other.
    Ah, reason number 9 why W3W is shite

Given that you're such an expert, I'm amazed you didn't think all of this first, yourself, and now you'd be worth £250m

Given all the talk of Mmmbop's wonderfulness as a pop song the other day, did anyone notice the quite lovely cover I posted of it by Lucy Schwartz with Scary Pockets?

Other than being the original, and being sung by teenage brothers, I can't think of anything about the original that beats this cover

And she's even prettier than the one who looks like a girl

Please tell me why this isn't better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiShsfvbFUA

Just doesn't have the relentless drive, and the keyboard guy looks an arse.
    edited August 2022

Huh?

I took the text from the second tweet in the thread, but linked to the first, which just shows images from after the strike. Apologies for the confusion.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

I bet she also puts pineapples on her pizza.

M/F

And?

Salt and chocolate work together.

Never eaten chocolate pretzels?

This is basically GORP. Trail mix with M&Ms

Huh?

Second is a continuation of the bottom left of the first.
    EPG said:

How long would it take a Google 3/4 word standard to eclipse w3w in user base? A year?

How long did it take Google+ to eclipse Facebook's user base?
This discussion has been closed.