Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Truss beating Starmer as “Better PM” – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457
    Scott_xP said:

Does Black Sabbath playing Paranoid (1970) at the closing CG ceremony prove the hypothesis of those who've argued that there's been no decent music for the last 50 years?
    Or is it just that the organisers couldn't find anything better that's come out of the Birmingham music scene? (UB40 would have been a bit more recent, though).
    I suspect the latter.

You didn't watch the whole show then?

UB40 were on earlier. Dexy's Midnight Runners. The Selector !

And some current acts.
    I confess, I only saw a few minutes. Feeling a bit paranoid now.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Andy_JS said:

Nice to see Dexy's Midnight Runners on stage exactly 40 years after they reached number one with Come On Eileen.

Birmingham has a much richer musical tradition than commonly credited; it’s been overshadowed by Manchester and Liverpool.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,812
    Scott_xP said:

Ocean Colour Scene werent available
    Edit - now i look like im just copying Rottenboroughs joke but im not! Its not fair damn it

Ocean Colour Scene opened the show (although not live)
    Seriously?? Lmfao
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Back to SKS is crap then.

So who would do better with polling evidence please

Its not that he is crap, its that he seems uninspiring. The swings at by elections have been tepid, wakefield wasnt impressive given the circumstances, nothing like the LD swings. Similarly in local by elections its all very tepid from a labour perspective, theres no 'oomph' behind him. People are reluctant to conclude Labour are ready for government.
    They are getting there, yes, but its torturous progress.
    The electorate want someone/something to believe in. I don't get the sense many can be arsed to believe in SKS,
    I was chatting to a left-leaning political friend at the weekend and he was saying the usual 'Keir is aiming for the competent bank manager' image. And I had to admit that when I thought of Keir literally *nothing* comes to mind. Not 'bank manager', not 'competent', not even 'boring'. Just... nothing.
    Yes i'd agree. A void. So, i guess avoid.
    No, he was brilliantly summarised in that essay I linked to, a few days ago

"I hate him aesthetically. I hate his fussy little too-perfect just-shy-of-Nazi-officer haircut; hate his “Prime Minister from central casting” face, which initially seemed designed by committee, but increasingly suffers from having an expression slapped on it like he's desperately trying to explain away his role in a sex scandal at the dog pound he runs; hate his pedantic voice, which makes everything he says sound like an HR meeting you don't really need to be at."

The last line in particular is genius

https://www.gawker.com/politics/i-hate-keir-starmer
    My fav:

"He is aesthetically petty and dull, a piece of hotel art made man."
    KSIAPOHAMMIPM

So disrespectful. It's SKSIAPOHAMMIPM
  • Andy_JS said:

Nice to see Dexy's Midnight Runners on stage exactly 40 years after they reached number one with Come On Eileen.

I fucking hate that song.....
    Or "Come on Arlene" as they used to sing in Stormont.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Does Black Sabbath playing Paranoid (1970) at the closing CG ceremony prove the hypothesis of those who've argued that there's been no decent music for the last 50 years?
    Or is it just that the organisers couldn't find anything better that's come out of the Birmingham music scene? (UB40 would have been a bit more recent, though).
    I suspect the latter.

Duran Duran already did their bit.

The Move were unavailable.

Emigrated, presumably.
    Jeff Lynne was last seen in California I believe.

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Scott_xP said:

Should sway maybe three members to switch sides?

• ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I wonder if Keir Starmer might be replaced as leader before the next election if he goes behind in the polls.

Was Cameron replaced when he went behind Brown in the polls in 2007 or Kinnock replaced when he went behind Major in the polls in 1990? No. Plus you need 20% of Labour MPs to back a challenger, more even than the 15% of Tory MPs needed for a VONC
    Yes you’re right. Starmerama won’t be be replaced until he does his Ed Miliband tribute act in 2024.
    Except Truss is more Theresa May, Hillary Clinton, Julia Gillard, Segolene Royale or Kim Campbell than David Cameron I fear
    Liz Truss is Liz Truss

I do not understand these comparisons you seem so fond of

I have to say I have no idea how she will evolve and some say she may surprise on the upside

The one big plus she is not Johnson
    Policy wise she is Johnson, except even more reliant on the ERG and even more rightwing
    Utter rubbish
    What evidence do you have that @HYUFD is wrong?
    She used to be a Lib Dem Republican, which is not the usual background for someone who is very right wing.

I suspect the Erg support for her campaign was canny politicking on her part. It doesn’t make her reliant on them I don’t think, if anything it allows her room to pivot back to the centre to build a broader church. Not long to wait and see anyway.
    I think this is spot on.

I also think she will do a better job of "talking softly but carrying a big stick" with the EU. In other words, she'll be more outwardly friendly than Johnson, but she'll probably be more resolute.

Moderates will be happy with the softer tone. Hard liners will hopefully be happy with the progress.
    And non-Tories will be happy with the three-digit Labour majority.

Instant sunshine for all.
  • MaxPB said:

So bit of a brain dump of life - I had a bunch of scans recently and it turns out I have got (recoverable) damaged heart muscle. The doctor has theorised it is either because of my recent bout with COVID or more likely the side effect from the COVID vaccine plus my existing heart condition. For the next 4-6 months I'm giving up booze and I'm on a specific diet plus a gentle exercise regime to reverse the damage.

I'm also advised to minimise stress which is a bit tough in my line of work so I'm generally having a rethink around where my life is heading.

One of the reasons I've not posted on here very much or been getting into small internet arguments is to avoid stress so my participation will consist of F1, football from time to time and odd bits and pieces.

I'm very lucky to have such a supportive wife and such a chill baby, I've got this week off work to adjust to the news and potentially longer depending on what the final consultation with the doctor turns out like in a few days.

Also very, very lucky to have got an A&E doctor last month who gave a shit and spent a lot of time explaining the seriousness of the ECG trace and making positive lifestyle changes immediately. My private healthcare has been a genuine life saver here too, appointments, scans and consultants on demand. I can't imagine doing this via the NHS when realistically I'm not dying tomorrow or even 20 years from now because of this.

Sorry to read that.

Take care.
    edited August 2022
    From a distance, neither Keir, Liz or Rishi look they have a foggiest about what to do for the country.

I have been modestly impressed by Liz’s willingness to “think different”, but I now think I was over-compensating for under-estimating her earlier on.

Latterly, it feels she is struggling to not be a moonbat.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited August 2022
    Sonny Boy Williamson was the absolute master. Huge flexible fingers, total breath control and an agile, swift tongue.

https://youtu.be/GOFbfY-wY1I
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    MaxPB said:

So bit of a brain dump of life - I had a bunch of scans recently and it turns out I have got (recoverable) damaged heart muscle. The doctor has theorised it is either because of my recent bout with COVID or more likely the side effect from the COVID vaccine plus my existing heart condition. For the next 4-6 months I'm giving up booze and I'm on a specific diet plus a gentle exercise regime to reverse the damage.

I'm also advised to minimise stress which is a bit tough in my line of work so I'm generally having a rethink around where my life is heading.

One of the reasons I've not posted on here very much or been getting into small internet arguments is to avoid stress so my participation will consist of F1, football from time to time and odd bits and pieces.

I'm very lucky to have such a supportive wife and such a chill baby, I've got this week off work to adjust to the news and potentially longer depending on what the final consultation with the doctor turns out like in a few days.

Also very, very lucky to have got an A&E doctor last month who gave a shit and spent a lot of time explaining the seriousness of the ECG trace and making positive lifestyle changes immediately. My private healthcare has been a genuine life saver here too, appointments, scans and consultants on demand. I can't imagine doing this via the NHS when realistically I'm not dying tomorrow or even 20 years from now because of this.

Goodness me!

First, all good wishes to you and yours and glad that you have got such good care and some sensible advice.

A loving family and good health matter: with them you can be happy and live a wonderful life. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the very best. And don't stay away too much. Take care x
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    I don't think Truss will be a very conservative leader. I can see why HYUFD distrusts her.

She is clearly economically on the libertarian wing of the party, but you can't just cut taxes and regulation without thinking through where the lost money goes and what rules replace the old ones. I suspect she has lots of ideas that she's not properly thought through, like that of changing the BoE's mandate.

I'm sure she'll get a polling bounce as the new leader, but I think it'll fade quickly as she is seen to be out of touch.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865

Scott_xP said:

Should sway maybe three members to switch sides?

From Sunak to Truss. 😆
  • MaxPB said:

It is good you have been diagnosed and are able to make life changes

My wife and I have been quite ill with covid though recovering slowly, but avoiding Internet arguments which are avoidable is why I have not posted as much recently

I send you and your family best wishes to adjust as life is far more precious than anything else
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    dixiedean said:

Sonny Boy Williamson was the absolute master. Huge flexible fingers, total breath control and an agile, swift tongue.

Are we still talking about music?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Come On Eileen was number 1 in the charts when I was born. Which means........... oh no.
    edited August 2022
    MaxPB said:

I’m very sorry to read this.
    Life can change so suddenly.
    It’s great you have your family around you.
    Wish you all the best.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Andy_JS said:

Because it’s shit. What stage are the overrated pricks on anyway?

Andy_JS said:

Destroyed by repetition, but they were such a fantastic group.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    Does the "and endorsing" bit mean we can get money out of him if it all goes horribly wrong, or is it just a meaningless tautology?
  • Former Downing Street figures are preparing to give evidence claiming Boris Johnson misled Parliament over what he knew about the partygate scandal, The Telegraph can reveal.

This newspaper has talked to three people contacted by the committee investigating whether the Prime Minister misled MPs about what he knew about the lockdown-breaking gatherings.

All three have alleged that Mr Johnson did not give the fullest account of the facts as he knew them at the time. One has agreed to give evidence to the committee, and two others are considering likewise.

The development gives the clearest indication yet of what material Harriet Harman, the Labour chairman of the privileges committee, is starting to gather as part of her investigation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/08/08/boris-johnson-misled-parliament-partygate-downing-street-ex/
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Oh dear. Two candidates. Liz is the BETTER person.
    MaxPB said:

Sorry to hear that. As a hypertrophic cardiomyopathy sufferer i sympathise. Be kind to yourself and find a nice chilled way to be.
    I gave up booze almost entirely (i have a very occasional scotch or a couple of pints on a night out every couple of months), no booze, no cry.
    @MaxPB .
    Very best wishes.
    Your baby needs you to be well.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    dixiedean said:

Playing the harp is like making etc
  • Scott_xP said:

dixiedean said:

Never knew Olivia Newton-John had covered Jolene. A little pedestrian, but I’ve heard worse.

Miley.Cyrus does a smoking cover.
    The Mindy Smith cover is sublime
    My fave Jolene cover is that of Hildegard von Blingin'
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

dixiedean said:

Are we still talking about music?
    It's those transferable skills again......
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Is Biden turning the tide on his so-far deeply unpopular presidency?

Inflation Act is a massive win.

Everyone loves tax inspectors after all
    Making rich people and corps pay tax polls incredibly well.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Andy_JS said:

A friend of mine's band did a cover, and they inserted a little pause between the first two words, which changed it rather...

Former Downing Street figures are preparing to give evidence claiming Boris Johnson misled Parliament over what he knew about the partygate scandal, The Telegraph can reveal.

This newspaper has talked to three people contacted by the committee investigating whether the Prime Minister misled MPs about what he knew about the lockdown-breaking gatherings.

All three have alleged that Mr Johnson did not give the fullest account of the facts as he knew them at the time. One has agreed to give evidence to the committee, and two others are considering likewise.

The development gives the clearest indication yet of what material Harriet Harman, the Labour chairman of the privileges committee, is starting to gather as part of her investigation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/08/08/boris-johnson-misled-parliament-partygate-downing-street-ex/

Cummings, Allegra 'under the bus' Stratton and AN other

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    MaxPB said:

Wow Max so sorry to hear that and I hope the changes have a marked and lasting effect.

Giving up booze and gentle exercise sounds like a winning combination whatever one's condition.

Well done as you say to all involved in the process.
    Scott_xP said:

Ocean Colour Scene werent available
    Edit - now i look like im just copying Rottenboroughs joke but im not! Its not fair damn it

Ocean Colour Scene opened the show (although not live)
    I quite liked their first album, Mosely Shoals. I didn't realise they'd done anything since...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Former Downing Street figures are preparing to give evidence claiming Boris Johnson misled Parliament over what he knew about the partygate scandal, The Telegraph can reveal.

I see some devine entity has decided to answer my prayer about my Raab for Next PM bet

Can he time his exit to S Bedfordshire to avoid a recall at Uxbridge?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    As for Come on Eileen it's one of those songs that you don't really hear anymore; you just relate it to what you were doing when it was released and a soundtrack to your life at the time.

MaxPB said:

My wife and I have been quite ill with covid though recovering slowly, but avoiding Internet arguments which are avoidable is why I have not posted as much recently

I send you and your family best wishes to adjust as life is far more precious than anything else
    Sorry to hear you have had covid @Big_G_NorthWales

I was wondering to myself the other evening why we had not heard from you.
    Ratters said:

I don't think Truss will be a very conservative leader. I can see why HYUFD distrusts her.

She is clearly economically on the libertarian wing of the party, but you can't just cut taxes and regulation without thinking through where the lost money goes and what rules replace the old ones. I suspect she has lots of ideas that she's not properly thought through, like that of changing the BoE's mandate.

I'm sure she'll get a polling bounce as the new leader, but I think it'll fade quickly as she is seen to be out of touch.

Proper bonkers says Dom Cummings and he's a frigging expert in the genre frankly.

Is there a junior minister for betting and associated mathematics slot to be filled?
    Alistair said:

Polling on the IRS has been very mixed. A quick search shows one with 2/3 in favour of getting at corporations etc another with 65% thinking the IRS has too much power.
    So where they target their new agents will matter
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

Andy_JS said:

Destroyed by repetition, but they were such a fantastic group.
    I saw them at a festival a few years back. Still a good act, but Geno was their best song.

I saw Geno Washington live about 1983. I see why they worshipped him. Pure class.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837
    Alistair said:

I see some devine entity has decided to answer my prayer about my Raab for Next PM bet
    Next PM is either Raab or Truss.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,779
    Fringe is back. Two mediocre shows, one excellent, £6 pints, stumbling back to girlfriend's through the meadows. Busy for an early Monday
    40 years since MTV launched.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    All the best @MaxPB and hope you get better soon.
    This is a fascinating interview on incel culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oykzpjC7s1Y

Hopefully it's something that can be discussed reasonably. Raises a lot of questions about the future of relationships. China in particular has to be a major worry. The one child policy and preference for boys has created a major disparity between the number of young men and women. As a society they will inevitably have to deal with a large number of single young men with no marriage prospects.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I wonder if Keir Starmer might be replaced as leader before the next election if he goes behind in the polls.

Was Cameron replaced when he went behind Brown in the polls in 2007 or Kinnock replaced when he went behind Major in the polls in 1990? No. Plus you need 20% of Labour MPs to back a challenger, more even than the 15% of Tory MPs needed for a VONC
    There is also the small matter of him actually falling behind.
    Maybe he will, as seems to be expected by most. But then there'll need to be an immediate emergency Budget. And folk will be getting their winter bills.
    Tories need to pray for a mild winter.
    78-9 was one of the 5 coldest of the Century.
    A bad one (which we are overdue) could finish it before it gets started.
    The Tories will need an effective framing narrative for the economic crisis, make it something done to us that they can solve. A Bullshit narrative, just like Browns 'it started in America' bullshit narrative.
    They need to be nurse so the electorate can cling to them.
    Not an easy lie to seed. Best start yesterday,
    Blame it all on Boris ? :smile:
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The ethics lot wont be taking verbal statements till Johnson has stepped down so it wont be Raab unless Johnson randomly resigns early

From a distance, neither Keir, Liz or Rishi look they have a foggiest about what to do for the country.

I have been modestly impressed by Liz’s willingness to “think different”, but I now think I was over-compensating for under-estimating her earlier on.

The problem is that even if they have thought long and deeply about what the country needs as we enter what are clearly emergency economic conditions not seen since the 1970s they could not say anything about it because the mass of the membership who are choosing our PM don't want to know.

They want moonbat boosterism and snake oil lies and flag waving bouts of misty-eyed gin sodden nostalgia.

Only a matter of time before one of the two candidates declares the 1950s our greatest decade and announces that they will bring back steam trains and national service.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

I never realised that an American drag queen had such influence over British politics.
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    MaxPB said:

Sorry to hear. Hope the healing regime goes well. Right from the first covid wave my cardiac colleagues have been seeing weird dysrythmias, often months later.

I think you may be underestimating the NHS though, it is pretty good with this urgent stuff.
  • MaxPB said:

Thank you.

We have been in Scotland on holiday including on a cruiser on the Caledonian canal with little Internet access, so I did take a sabbatical but the day before we returned my wife, daughter who was with us, and I all went down with covid and it was very unpleasant

We are recovering but it has drained us of energy
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    I've just watched "Smiley's People" for the first time. Now that is a TV show, forget your 200-hour American epics. How did I manage to miss it after "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"?

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The ethics lot wont be taking verbal statements till Johnson has stepped down so it wont be Raab unless Johnson randomly resigns early
    Only way we win on a Raab next PM bet now is if one of Johnson's many photo gig stunts with uniforms and live ammunition goes horribly wrong.

dixiedean said:

Oh my God.

Now I really, really do feel old.

The problem is that even if they have thought long and deeply about what the country needs as we enter what are clearly emergency economic conditions not seen since the 1970s they could not say anything about it because the mass of the membership who are choosing our PM don't want to know.

They want moonbat boosterism and snake oil lies and flag waving bouts of misty-eyed gin sodden nostalgia.

Only a matter of time before one of the two candidates declares the 1950s our greatest decade and announces that they will bring back steam trains and national service.
    Only quibble I would have is that I think it's the 80s this lot want to go back to.

That's the 1980s in case you aren't sure

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Its not that he is crap, its that he seems uninspiring. The swings at by elections have been tepid, wakefield wasnt impressive given the circumstances, nothing like the LD swings. Similarly in local by elections its all very tepid from a labour perspective, theres no 'oomph' behind him. People are reluctant to conclude Labour are ready for government.
    The electorate want someone/something to believe in. I don't get the sense many can be arsed to believe in SKS,
    I was chatting to a left-leaning political friend at the weekend and he was saying the usual 'Keir is aiming for the competent bank manager' image. And I had to admit that when I thought of Keir literally *nothing* comes to mind. Not 'bank manager', not 'competent', not even 'boring'. Just... nothing.

"I hate him aesthetically. I hate his fussy little too-perfect just-shy-of-Nazi-officer haircut; hate his “Prime Minister from central casting” face, which initially seemed designed by committee, but increasingly suffers from having an expression slapped on it like he's desperately trying to explain away his role in a sex scandal at the dog pound he runs; hate his pedantic voice, which makes everything he says sound like an HR meeting you don't really need to be at."

My fav:

Best bit is he’ll probably beat whoever the Tories have limping into the next election.
    Which admittedly is no great accolade.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,837

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Only way we win on a Raab next PM bet now is if one of Johnson's many photo gig stunts with uniforms and live ammunition goes horribly wrong.

Well he is very much odds against, but a greater chance than Rishi I think
    RobD said:

Aptly named

Democrats have argued the measure will tackle voters' main economic concern, naming it the Inflation Reduction Act. Republicans argue the new spending will aggravate inflation. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office says, though, the bill has a "negligible" effect on inflation in 2022 and into 2023.
    It’s a decent bill, and a massive win in the face of the GOP’s attempts to sabotage any action on climate change.
    It would have been significantly better without the two different sets of compromises required in exchange for Manchin and Sinema’s votes.

It does feel like that, yes.

Purely objectively, the government faces two separate, but connected, economic challenges.

The first is what to do about inflation, especially energy inflation, and what looks like the biggest cost of living crisis since the 1970s.

The second is how to reboot Britain’s stagnant growth which after ten years or so now sees living standards at risk of being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

Rishi has (or had - I can’t be bothered understanding his latest postition) nothing to say about the first, and nothing to say about the second.

Liz thinks that “tax cuts” is the entire answer to the second, and pretends that it is additionally an answer to the first.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

My fav:

Best bit is he’ll probably beat whoever the Tories have limping into the next election.
    Which admittedly is no great accolade.
    Oh - this could be a header?

Who do we think will actually lead Tories into the next GE in 2024/5?

Very likely to be Truss, but if she is thrown out after a year as I and others have predicted - where next?

Badenoch? Just roll the dice and go with the new generation?

Sunak? I told you so vote?

Johnson (S Bedfordshire) I told you so vote and I am back like Churchill?

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,779

MaxPB said:

Thank you.

We have been in Scotland on holiday including on a cruiser on the Caledonian canal with little Internet access, so I did take a sabbatical but the day before we returned my wife, daughter who was with us, and I all went down with covid and it was very unpleasant

Good luck @Big_G_NorthWales. I went for a brilliant run from Gairlochy to Neptune's staircase and back, flashes of the Ben through the trees. Every boat I passed gave me a wave, seemed like a friendly community.

Got my own narrowboat holiday in Wales coming along, can't wait!
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    Truss has somewhat made herself a hostage to fortune with regards to inflation . We’re in a bizarre situation with the BOE wanting to suppress spending and Truss wanting to dish out tax cuts . So there’s in a sense a narrow landing strip where growth stays just strong enough so no recession and inflation edges down helped by external events .

If the chips fall kindly for her then the Tories election chances improve . If she overshoots the runway things could turn very ugly .
    dixiedean said:

Wait.

MTV still exists?
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Aptly named

Democrats have argued the measure will tackle voters' main economic concern, naming it the Inflation Reduction Act. Republicans argue the new spending will aggravate inflation. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office says, though, the bill has a "negligible" effect on inflation in 2022 and into 2023.
    It’s a decent bill, and a massive win in the face of the GOP’s attempts to sabotage any action on climate change.
    It would have been significantly better without the two different sets of compromises required in exchange for Manchin and Sinema’s votes.
    Them's the breaks.

Schumer and Biden have done a kind of LBJ move (in the end) and got the votes to pass a bill via god knows what deals and arm twisting and pork barrel malarky.

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911

MaxPB said:

Thank you.

Wonderful to have you back, Big G. Hope you and your wife and daughter all feel fully recovered soon.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Nigelb said:
    Oh dear. This politics business is a bit shabby sometimes, I guess.
  • From a distance, neither Keir, Liz or Rishi look they have a foggiest about what to do for the country.

It does feel like that, yes.

Purely objectively, the government faces two separate, but connected, economic challenges.

The first is what to do about inflation, especially energy inflation, and what looks like the biggest cost of living crisis since the 1970s.

The second is how to reboot Britain’s stagnant growth which after ten years or so now sees living standards at risk of being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

Rishi has (or had - I can’t be bothered understanding his latest postition) nothing to say about the first, and nothing to say about the second.

Liz thinks that “tax cuts” is the entire answer to the second, and pretends that it is additionally an answer to the first.
    Trouble is that I'm pretty sure the real answer goes something like this.

1. Acknowledge that, somewhere along the line, the UK stuffed up. We could be tactful and not work too hard to point the finger at when and how. Besides, there are several potential culprits.
    2. Anyhow, a chunk of our apparent wealth is phoney-baloney. (I suspect it's the house price bit.)
    3. Mark that down to something realistic.
    4. Get used as a nation to temporarily reduced circumstances.
    5. Once we have a realistic mental map, work out the next move. But we need the realistic map first.

Much easier to pretend that everything is basically fine, especially if you have an election to win.
    NEW THREAD

Alistair said:

Polling on the IRS has been very mixed. A quick search shows one with 2/3 in favour of getting at corporations etc another with 65% thinking the IRS has too much power.
    So where they target their new agents will matter
    Annual budget was around $13bn, I believe ?
    For an economy the size of the US, that’s hardly excessive.

The bigger beef is the potential complexity of tax returns. The bill’s measure go s slit toe way in addressing that - and provide extra resource for targeting the shortfall in tax from the wealthiest.
  • Eabhal said:

MaxPB said:

Thank you.

Good luck @Big_G_NorthWales. I went for a brilliant run from Gairlochy to Neptune's staircase and back, flashes of the Ben through the trees. Every boat I passed gave me a wave, seemed like a friendly community.

Got my own narrowboat holiday in Wales coming along, can't wait!
    Thank you

It is extremely friendly and great fun. You should love your narrowboat holiday in Wales
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

LAB doesn't need a majority at the next election for Starmer to become PM - the Tories do to remain in power
    It's politics as showbiz. It's hard to see Starmer competing against Fizzy with an electorate that finds "I'm a celebrity..." intellectually challenging.
    That is, unfortunately, the A and Ω of the situation. A populace that could just as well have had full frontal lobotomies.

When Liz Truss first seriously featured as a name, I was impressed. Big time. I went through a dip, but I’m coming back round to my initial assessment: I think she’s going to be a cracker for the Tories. Yes, the economic background is absolutely dire, but I’m pretty sure she can lay most of the blame for that on Brown, Cameron, Clegg, May and The Oaf. It is merely a marketing problem. Not insurmountable. The poor will freeze and starve - quite literally - but PM Truss will be alright Jack.

My opinion of Starmer on the other hand has gone in only one direction. Straight down. I was a huge fan and very optimistic when he was first elected. England needs a decent leader. But what a disappointment. A total dud.
    Slightly surprised to see you use 'England' for 'the United Kingdom.'
    I aim to stimulate and challenge my readership with a broad variety of techniques. I’m pleased to surprise and delight you.

The “PM” is, de facto, the FM of England.
    All nations need a leader. Even the English. Quite what they did to deserve Brown, Cameron, May, The Oaf and Truss is a moot question.
    There is no such role, one of the weaknesses of the devolution set up by Blair.
    De jure there is no such role.

De facto there is such a role.
    Not really - when does the First Minister of England decide things only for England? Or deliver a speech to the English parliament?
    In hundreds of aspects of public life every week.

Are you a bit thick or something?
    Can you link me to where the English Parliament sits please? And when do I vote for my representative?
This discussion has been closed.