Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss beating Starmer as “Better PM” – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,009
edited August 2022 in General
Truss beating Starmer as “Better PM” – politicalbetting.com

At this moment, which of the following individuals do voters think would be the better Prime Minister for the United Kingdom?Starmer vs Truss:Truss 38% (+1)Starmer 35% (–)Starmer vs Sunak:Starmer 40% (+1)Sunak 34% (+2)Changes +/- 4 Augusthttps://t.co/r0DzGHMZYe pic.twitter.com/kr0UED0goE

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    SKS fans please explain
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Second like Starmer (hypothetically)
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,922
    CON GAIN Bootle nailed on
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2022
    Truss is like a binary option for the Tories. Either she’ll be a shoot from the hip clusterF with faster u-turns and a grander state of chaos than even Boris managed. Or, she’ll surprise massively to the upside, shake things up with positive results and ride the economic cycle to a victory in 2024.

I still can’t decide which but if pushed I’d lean to the latter, based on her being far more likeable when put under the media glare of the leadership election than presumed. But then there’s the Bank of Japan comment in Debate 1. Hmmm…
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

LAB doesn't need a majority at the next election for Starmer to become PM - the Tories do to remain in power
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

LAB doesn't need a majority at the next election for Starmer to become PM - the Tories do to remain in power
    That might be true the week after the election but if labour are merely largest party, it’s quite hard to construct a scenario of stable minority govt or coalition that would see him or Labour last the term.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples, also show that Keir Starmer is a dud. Back down to 3rd place in Scotland = no cigars.

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

(YouGov / The Times; Sample Size: 1,968; Fieldwork: 4th - 5th August 2022)

Pro-independence parties 55%
    Unionist parties 44%
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

It's politics as showbiz. It's hard to see Starmer competing against Fizzy with an electorate that finds "I'm a celebrity..." intellectually challenging.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

The Tories will be hoping if they are short of majority they can ride out a couple years opposition on 290 or so seats whilst Starmer and his coalition of everyone else implodes and Labour rips itself apart
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Evening all :)

None of this is hard to explain and OGH has explained it so we can ignore the anti-Starmer jibes from the usual suspects.

Truss will be "new" - how "different" she will be I don't know. The roll back of the NI hike will have plenty of fans but where the money will be found to make up the shortfall I don't know and I suspect many Council finance officers will be dreading the 2022-23 financial settlement (Gove's settlement from this year will doubtless be ripped up in the name of national expediency).

Starmer does have to improve, no doubt, though the progress from December 2019 is marked. Labour's biggest problem probably remains Labour and those so-called supporters for whom internal party discipline apparently means nothing. There were plenty of Conservatives who didn't like Johnson but kept it quiet - I'd argue it would be better for Labour to see more support for the leader and less griping from the side lines.

Parties which don't do self discipline are apt to look divided and that doesn't go down well with voters.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Yesterday, I mentioned that the Russians had found the remains of American anti-radiation missiles. But Ukrainian aircraft cannot fire them.

Well, it looks as though American, Ukrainian and other engineers have been busy...

https://twitter.com/OstapYarysh/status/1556696165760081926
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    The Conservative Party is split over the reign of Boris Johnson and whether he should remain in frontline politics.

Analysis of polls of party members by MailOnline shows that Mr Johnson's powerbase is firmly rooted in the over 50s and pensioners.

Almost six-in-10 believe that MPs were wrong to resign en-masse, forcing him out of No10 in July by making him unable to govern, according to a recent analysis by YouGov.

Mail Online
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    stodge said:

None of this is hard to explain and OGH has explained it so we can ignore the anti-Starmer jibes from the usual suspects.

Truss will be "new" - how "different" she will be I don't know. The roll back of the NI hike will have plenty of fans but where the money will be found to make up the shortfall I don't know and I suspect many Council finance officers will be dreading the 2022-23 financial settlement (Gove's settlement from this year will doubtless be ripped up in the name of national expediency).

Starmer does have to improve, no doubt, though the progress from December 2019 is marked. Labour's biggest problem probably remains Labour and those so-called supporters for whom internal party discipline apparently means nothing. There were plenty of Conservatives who didn't like Johnson but kept it quiet - I'd argue it would be better for Labour to see more support for the leader and less griping from the side lines.

Parties which don't do self discipline are apt to look divided and that doesn't go down well with voters.

He is apparently deciding whether to discipline Nandy for visiting pickets when he returns from holibobs next Monday which may become an inflection point
  • Options
    Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.8 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.8 Rishi Sunak 10%
  • Options

If the Tories lose Mid Beds I will eat a pineapple pizza on Christmas Eve whilst watching Die Hard.

https://blog.finaldraft.com/steven-e-de-souza-die-hard-is-a-christmas-movie

"Die Hard is a Christmas movie, full stop.

"Steven E. de Souza, who penned the film’s script more than 30 years ago, is adamant about that."
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

It's politics as showbiz. It's hard to see Starmer competing against Fizzy with an electorate that finds "I'm a celebrity..." intellectually challenging.
    That is, unfortunately, the A and Ω of the situation. A populace that could just as well have had full frontal lobotomies.

When Liz Truss first seriously featured as a name, I was impressed. Big time. I went through a dip, but I’m coming back round to my initial assessment: I think she’s going to be a cracker for the Tories. Yes, the economic background is absolutely dire, but I’m pretty sure she can lay most of the blame for that on Brown, Cameron, Clegg, May and The Oaf. It is merely a marketing problem. Not insurmountable. The poor will freeze and starve - quite literally - but PM Truss will be alright Jack.

My opinion of Starmer on the other hand has gone in only one direction. Straight down. I was a huge fan and very optimistic when he was first elected. England needs a decent leader. But what a disappointment. A total dud.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

That might be true the week after the election but if labour are merely largest party, it’s quite hard to construct a scenario of stable minority govt or coalition that would see him or Labour last the term.
    Mike keeps saying this, and it's simply not true. If the Tories get, say, 318-325 seats there's no path to a reasonable coalition for Sir Keir and the Tories would stay in power. And the top end of that would be an effective majority without SF anyway.

What is true is that the space for a government without a majority is much larger for Labour than the Tories - but that doesn't mean that the latter is zero.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,121

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

That is, unfortunately, the A and Ω of the situation. A populace that could just as well have had full frontal lobotomies.

When Liz Truss first seriously featured as a name, I was impressed. Big time. I went through a dip, but I’m coming back round to my initial assessment: I think she’s going to be a cracker for the Tories. Yes, the economic background is absolutely dire, but I’m pretty sure she can lay most of the blame for that on Brown, Cameron, Clegg, May and The Oaf. It is merely a marketing problem. Not insurmountable. The poor will freeze and starve - quite literally - but PM Truss will be alright Jack.

My opinion of Starmer on the other hand has gone in only one direction. Straight down. I was a huge fan and very optimistic when he was first elected. England needs a decent leader. But what a disappointment. A total dud.
    Slightly surprised to see you use 'England' for 'the United Kingdom.'
  • Options
    Is Dynamo a Russian stooge or another one of Leon’s?

If the former, then go to bed you’re getting too tired, and try again tomorrow (see tail end of last thread). Clearly the Ukrainians are not going to cause a radiation event through a false flag in their own territory. What would the objective even be, given they’ve already received $9bn of US military aid and counting? Silly.

If the latter, then you must try harder Leon.
  • Options
    The opinium preferred PM figures are illuminating. Nobody makes it out of the twenties.
    Uninspiring.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    The Tories are bound to take the lead if, as expected, Truss becomes PM in September. The Tories under Johnson in summer 2019 and May in summer 2017 and Labour under Brown in 2007 and the Tories under Major in 1990 all got a bounce and took the lead when the new PM took office midterm.

It also seems that now, Truss would get a bigger bounce than Sunak. However as OGH points out sustaining that into a general election majority at the next election will be a bigger challenge. Major and Johnson managed it, May and Brown didn't
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

His opinion of Starmer probably declined when he realised he was a yoon who was against indyref2.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    Yes, she has been supremely impressive. Penny Mordaunt has just realised that she is significantly more compelling than herself.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples, also show that Keir Starmer is a dud. Back down to 3rd place in Scotland = no cigars.

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

It doesn't matter if the SNP are on 99%, Truss has made clear she will not allow any indyref2 on her watch. As the future of the union is reserved to Westminster and the UK government under the Scotland Act 1998 nothing the SNP can do about it.

In fact logically it is better for the SNP to lose seats in Scotland but hold the balance of power in a hung parliament at Westminster than for the SNP to gain seats in Scotland and increase their number of MPs there but for either the Tories to win another majority or Labour to win most seats and have either a majority or enough seats to have a majority with the LDs
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,888
    36C in London at the weekend

Sounds like nothing, after 40C, but that would be one of the top 10 hottest ever days in the UK
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,603
    HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

It doesn't matter if the SNP are on 99%, Truss has made clear she will not allow any indyref2 on her watch. As the future of the union is reserved to Westminster and the UK government under the Scotland Act 1998 nothing the SNP can do about it.

In fact logically it is better for the SNP to lose seats in Scotland but hold the balance of power in a hung parliament at Westminster than for the SNP to gain seats in Scotland and increase their number of MPs there but for either the Tories to win another majority or Labour to win most seats and have either a majority or enough seats to have a majority with the LDs
    Para 2 - you'd claim the opposite the moment it happened, on the grounds that it was an excuse to refuse a referendum.

Para 1 - You definitely need to buy yourself a train set instead of saying this yet again (only with the change of name - and Ms Truss isn't even PM yet). Here's one suitably posh for you:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/66157/hornby_r817_schools_class_4_4_0_eton_900_in_sr_olive_green/stockdetail
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sounds like nothing, after 40C, but that would be one of the top 10 hottest ever days in the UK

Thanks to my wife's health situation I am dreading the end of this week.

Roll on Autumn I say.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

The Tories will be hoping if they are short of majority they can ride out a couple years opposition on 290 or so seats whilst Starmer and his coalition of everyone else implodes and Labour rips itself apart
    Starmer’s adoption of ‘Muscular Unionism’ suggests that you are correct. He’s blown it.

The crucial number for Starmer’s prospects is LD seats. I note that the current FAV band is 10-15%, and second favourite is 5-10%. He’d better hope that the LD’s strongly outperform punters’ expectations. Expect a hell of a lot of paper candidates with red rosettes.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,976
    HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

The SCons being second in a sub sample has evidently loosened your grip on the English language.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

Entirely consistent with being an independista, though, [edit] in terms of the preferred remit for SKS.
  • Options

stodge said:

He is apparently deciding whether to discipline Nandy for visiting pickets when he returns from holibobs next Monday which may become an inflection point
    Anyone who uses the term "holibobs" instead of "holidays" has clearly lost all judgement, objectivity and reason.

If I were advising Starmer, I'd say it doesn't matter very much. He'll be damned whatever he does - too close to the Unions and "he's in their pocket", too far and "he's abandoning Labour's working class heritage".

Starmer will know an autumn and perhaps winter of discontent will play well for Truss but the rising energy bills and other cost of living issues won't.

As an aside, someone on here once did a comparison of Conservative vote share vs Petrol prices. As pump prices fell, the Conservative vote share rose and vice versa. In my part of the world, petrol has settled at 175.9p per litre, much higher than this time last year but off the 190.9p peak of June. Perhaps this explains a small but significant recovery in Conservative fortunes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

I aim to stimulate and challenge my readership with a broad variety of techniques. I’m pleased to surprise and delight you.

The “PM” is, de facto, the FM of England.
    All nations need a leader. Even the English. Quite what they did to deserve Brown, Cameron, May, The Oaf and Truss is a moot question.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    FPT:
    HYUFD said:

To an extent it still is, 90% of EU Eurozone nations are Roman Catholic in terms of their largest religious group, the UK is Protestant plurality. Most of the Protestant Lutheran plurality nations are in Scandinavia now and not in the Eurozone or in EFTA but not the EU.

I don't think that holds any more. It's more like just over half.

Just for interest - 19 countries in the current Eurozone (ignoring all the ones that are mandated to join it that have spent the last 5-25 years desperately avoiding having to do so). Interesting trends.

Using your plurality of community identification criteria, rather than formal membership or attendance, and leaving out the religion of atheism, we have 19 Eurozone countries:

Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Finland, Greece, Slovenia, Cyprus, Malta, Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

Of those, clearly not Roman Catholic: Estonia, Finland, Denmark, Greece, Cyprus

Clearly RC: Ireland, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Austria, Portugal, Slovakia, Luxembourg, Malta, Lithuania

Too tightly balanced to call: Netherlands, Germany, Latvia

Law unto itself - National theology of Not being RC: France

One source, and using various other refs:
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/12/19/5-facts-about-catholics-in-europe
  • Options

Leon said:

Roll on Autumn I say.

Sympathies

I’m going to miss this weather. Every day sunny. 25-30C. Lovely warm evenings. You soon get used to it
  • Options
    edited August 2022

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

Starmer’s adoption of ‘Muscular Unionism’ suggests that you are correct. He’s blown it.

The crucial number for Starmer’s prospects is LD seats. I note that the current FAV band is 10-15%, and second favourite is 5-10%. He’d better hope that the LD’s strongly outperform punters’ expectations. Expect a hell of a lot of paper candidates with red rosettes.
    The figures have 2019 LD voters preferring Starmer over Truss 55% to 23% and Green voters preferring Starmer over Truss 43% to 22% so he will need to rely on tactical voting too
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

His opinion of Starmer probably declined when he realised he was a yoon who was against indyref2.
    There are decent yoons and twat yoons*.

Starmer chose the wrong camp.

(*approx distribution 20:80)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

I aim to stimulate and challenge my readership with a broad variety of techniques. I’m pleased to surprise and delight you.

All nations need a leader. Even the English. Quite what they did to deserve Brown, Cameron, May, The Oaf and Truss is a moot question.
    There is no such role, one of the weaknesses of the devolution set up by Blair.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

The Conservative Party is split over the reign of Boris Johnson and whether he should remain in frontline politics.

Analysis of polls of party members by MailOnline shows that Mr Johnson's powerbase is firmly rooted in the over 50s and pensioners.

Almost six-in-10 believe that MPs were wrong to resign en-masse, forcing him out of No10 in July by making him unable to govern, according to a recent analysis by YouGov.

Mail Online

Just another illustration of how wildly unrepresentative are the views of that sad little group.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

De jure there is no such role.

De facto there is such a role.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

Not really - when does the First Minister of England decide things only for England? Or deliver a speech to the English parliament?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

The figures have 2019 LD voters preferring Starmer over Truss 55% to 23% and Green voters preferring Starmer over Truss 43% to 22% so he will need to rely on tactical voting too
    Amazed to see so many Green voters preferring Truss. Why?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

The SCons being second in a sub sample has evidently loosened your grip on the English language.
    At least one Tory isn’t ruling out the possibility of an indyref2.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

To an extent it still is, 90% of EU Eurozone nations are Roman Catholic in terms of their largest religious group, the UK is Protestant plurality. Most

of the Protestant Lutheran plurality nations are in Scandinavia now and not in the Eurozone or in EFTA but not the EU.

Just for interest - 19 countries in the current Eurozone (ignoring all the ones that are mandated to join it that have spent the last 5-25 years desperately avoiding having to do so). Interesting trends.

Using your plurality of community identification criteria, rather than formal membership or attendance, and leaving out the religion of atheism, we have 19 Eurozone countries:

Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Finland, Greece, Slovenia, Cyprus, Malta, Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

Clearly RC: Ireland, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Austria, Portugal, Slovakia, Luxembourg, Malta, Lithuania

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/12/19/5-facts-about-catholics-in-europe
    The Netherlands is now largely unaffiliated but has more Catholics than Reformed Church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_Netherlands

Germany is now Catholic 27% and Lutheran 24%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Germany

France is 41% Roman Catholic, just 2% Protestant, 5% Muslim, 40% no religion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_France

So of the 19 Eurozone nations then, at least 13 are at least plurality Roman Catholic in terms of largest religion.

Of the remaining 6 only Finland and Latvia are plurality Protestant. Greece and Cyprus and Estonia are plurality Eastern Orthodox. Denmark of course is not in the Eurozone anyway
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

To an extent it still is, 90% of EU Eurozone nations are Roman Catholic in terms of their largest religious group, the UK is Protestant plurality. Most of the Protestant Lutheran plurality nations are in Scandinavia now and not in the Eurozone or in EFTA but not the EU.

I'm astonished that you have the Netherlands where you do. Their national identity has an element of not being RC.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

No, just de Stuart.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

They assume her batshit economy policies will lead to the implosion of capitalism and we will all revert to the Stone Age, which was ecologically sounder.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

Hmm. Labour not volunteering to be the tulchan coo* this time round?

* Or Bell-the-cat, if you prefer that allusion.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

Davidson is backing Sunak and has no power to allow indyref2, Truss has made clear she will not allow indyref2 on her watch. Sunak has said the 2014 referendum was once in a generation
  • Options

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

Chortle.

The fight is on to lead BetterTogether2. The campaign that is going to win a referendum that is never going to happen.

I hear that former Tory MSP (1999-2016) Mary Scanlon was ripping her hair out live on GMS. Shame I missed it. Did you catch it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Same pattern as last time, slowish build up, weekend peak, sharp decline.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Yesterday, I mentioned that the Russians had found the remains of American anti-radiation missiles. But Ukrainian aircraft cannot fire them.

Well, it looks as though American, Ukrainian and other engineers have been busy...

https://twitter.com/OstapYarysh/status/1556696165760081926

I don't think this debate will be able to get anywhere fast.

Harm missiles have been in service since 1985, and used in the Gulf War, Libya and Yugoslavia for three,and heaven knows where else. All possible sources for wreckage, or photos or wreckage.

Information needs to be far more specific.

One interesting suggestion is that they may have been ground-launched.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

To an extent it still is, 90% of EU Eurozone nations are Roman Catholic in terms of their largest religious group, the UK is Protestant plurality. Most

of the Protestant Lutheran plurality nations are in Scandinavia now and not in the Eurozone or in EFTA but not the EU.

The Netherlands is now largely unaffiliated but has more Catholics than Reformed Church.

So of the 19 Eurozone nations then, at least 13 are at least plurality Roman Catholic in terms of largest religion.

Of the remaining 6 only Finland and Latvia are plurality Protestant. Greece and Cyprus and Estonia are plurality Eastern Orthodox. Denmark of course is not in the Eurozone anyway
    Slovenia also majority Roman Catholic
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Anyone who uses the term "holibobs" instead of "holidays" has clearly lost all judgement, objectivity and reason.

If I were advising Starmer, I'd say it doesn't matter very much. He'll be damned whatever he does - too close to the Unions and "he's in their pocket", too far and "he's abandoning Labour's working class heritage".

Starmer will know an autumn and perhaps winter of discontent will play well for Truss but the rising energy bills and other cost of living issues won't.

As an aside, someone on here once did a comparison of Conservative vote share vs Petrol prices. As pump prices fell, the Conservative vote share rose and vice versa. In my part of the world, petrol has settled at 175.9p per litre, much higher than this time last year but off the 190.9p peak of June. Perhaps this explains a small but significant recovery in Conservative fortunes.
    Anyone who thinks using the commonly used (especially in politicians holiday season, cf Cameron) word 'holibobs' has an effect on 'objectivity' has clearly lost the plot entirely. Or, is just looking for an excuse to be snide.

It clearly does matter. He has made a decree as leader that the front bench are not to join pickets. How he deals with that informs as to his authority and how this policy will hold as strike action increases into the economic/inflationary crisis

Petrol. Yep. Cut fuel duty to bare bones and they will come back from holibobbidydiddle to a lead.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

Chortle.

The fight is on to lead BetterTogether2. The campaign that is going to win a referendum that is never going to happen.

I hear that former Tory MSP (1999-2016) Mary Scanlon was ripping her hair out live on GMS. Shame I missed it. Did you catch it?
    Is this it? Different Tory on GMS though.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20594201.former-tory-msp-says-liz-truss-lost-vote-inappropriate-nicola-sturgeon-dig/

BTW did you see Partick T have put up signs in the Gàidhlig as well as English? Quite appropriate for the area, but it's upset some folk.
  • Options
    I've missed whether anyone has made these obvious points while I've been away.

Pop music has definitely, overall, got worse since its peak in the 60s/70s/80s/90s/00s, depending on your POV

There is a lot more shit music being made now than ever before

But there's also more good music being made, even if it has become harder to make the "iconic" music that we seem to have loads of from the past

And it's now happening all over the world. I don't know if anyone listened to my recommendation from yesterday - Monsieur Periné - a Columbian band who have in one day become my favourite foreign language band of all time. They do songs in Spanish and French

I urge you all to put this on right now and turn it right up

If you know a better band not singing in English please do let me know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGL-eQAAxGs
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

They assume her batshit economy policies will lead to the implosion of capitalism and we will all revert to the Stone Age, which was ecologically sounder.
    Perhaps you'd explain why you think her economics policies are mad? (I can't, and the economic wisdom of the last 30 years which is roughly Sunak's mantra is questionable)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

Perhaps you'd explain why you think her economics policies are mad? (I can't, and the economic wisdom of the last 30 years which is roughly Sunak's mantra is questionable)
    She plans to cut taxes and is making promises that would require increased spending at a time of a considerable structural deficit.

She's essentially proposing Corbynism without the social benefits.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

I'm astonished that you have the Netherlands where you do. Their national identity has an element of not being RC.
    For the Netherlands it seems to be that people identify as RC: 20%, Protestant 15%.

Those seem to me to be close, and also both low enough to struggle to apply to characterise the whole country. 20% is technically a plurality, but a very small one.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    I was looking at the 538 Senate Predictions for 2020, to see how they did.

And they called all but three Senate races right. The three they got wrong were:

(1) Maine, where they thought Ms Collins was a goner, and she wasn't.
    (2) North Carolina, which they thought was a Dem gain
    (3) Georgia, where they thought Perdue would beat out Ossoff

So, a *slight* overestimation of Dems chances, but not a massive one.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,375
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roll on Autumn I say.

Sympathies

I’m going to miss this weather. Every day sunny. 25-30C. Lovely warm evenings. You soon get used to it
    The warm evenings- sitting outside under solar lights- are delightful.

But it's so damn dry.

The First Great Heat needed a proper downpour as catharsis. (And to put out the fires.)

The raindrops we got were fat, but lonely. Not good enough.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I'm just back from 500 miles last w/e, and yes I will welcome lower diesel prices :smile:
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Truss is like a binary option for the Tories. Either she’ll be a shoot from the hip clusterF with faster u-turns and a grander state of chaos than even Boris managed. Or, she’ll surprise massively to the upside, shake things up with positive results and ride the economic cycle to a victory in 2024.

I still can’t decide which but if pushed I’d lean to the latter, based on her being far more likeable when put under the media glare of the leadership election than presumed. But then there’s the Bank of Japan comment in Debate 1. Hmmm…

FWIW, I think she is capable and personable. I think she'll do a good job of holding off the yellow peril in the South, but I'm less convinced that she'll do so well in the former Red Wall seats. My guess would be that she'll lead the Conservatives to a narrow majority in 2024.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

She plans to cut taxes and is making promises that would require increased spending at a time of a considerable structural deficit.

She's fairly mild in that, and the argument that it's to chase off recession is interesting. Corbyn just had a wealth depreciation agenda.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

Very fair comment on Denmark - I missed that.

But even with those changes it is still only 70-75% :smile:

But the trends are interesting.

eg France is within a smidge of having higher Mosque attendance than church attendance afaics.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

She's fairly mild in that, and the argument that it's to chase off recession is interesting. Corbyn just had a wealth depreciation agenda.
    So does she. In the words of *that* poster, she just doesn't know it yet.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

FWIW, I think she is capable and personable. I think she'll do a good job of holding off the yellow peril in the South, but I'm less convinced that she'll do so well in the former Red Wall seats. My guess would be that she'll lead the Conservatives to a narrow majority in 2024.
    This is my feeling too.

I also think Rishi Tax N'Sunak leads to an electoral defeat through 15-20 lost seats to the LDs in the South. He plays sooooo badly on the doorstep in my experience....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,479
    Couldn't agree more with this.

"Smart meters have become agents of the nannying state
    Improved technology was meant to empower us to make more choices about our utility use. They have become a regulators' spy in our homes
    SAM ASHWORTH-HAYES" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/08/smart-meters-have-become-agents-nannying-state/
  • Options
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

For the Netherlands it seems to be that people identify as RC: 20%, Protestant 15%.

Those seem to me to be close, and also both low enough to struggle to apply to characterise the whole country. 20% is technically a plurality, but a very small one.
    What would you guess for the "not well disposed" vote to various religions? I'd be amazed if RC wasn't seen poorly for the majority.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

Interesting: I would expect the LDs to be at the high end of the 10 to 15% band. Say 13.5-14.0% at the election.
  • Options

Pop music has definitely, overall, got worse since its peak in the 60s/70s/80s/90s/00s, depending on your POV

But there's also more good music being made, even if it has become harder to make the "iconic" music that we seem to have loads of from the past

And it's now happening all over the world. I don't know if anyone listened to my recommendation from yesterday - Monsieur Periné - a Columbian band who have in one day become my favourite foreign language band of all time. They do songs in Spanish and French

That's rather charming

Some of the best pop music is definitely non-English speaking. A PB-er once linked to a brilliant Lebanese jazz-metal band (IIRC) and it was great - frustratingly I forget the name

Also check The Hu from Mongolia, in one of the most brilliantly ridiculous videos ever made. Heavy metal nose flutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

• Options
    Yougov best PM

Starmer 31%
    Truss 28%

Starmer 31%
    Sunak 27%
    https://twitter.com/OprosUK/status/1556616578145345538?s=20&t=4jttL4MGFGdjuHQT71mDTA
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

The opposite, Sunak does better in the bluewall, Truss does better in the redwall
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

Very fair comment on Denmark - I missed that.

But even with those changes it is still only 70-75% :smile:

But the trends are interesting.

eg France is within a smidge of having higher Mosque attendance than church attendance afaics.
    Hence Le Pen got over 40% in May on a ticket that was strongly anti Islam
  • Options

stodge said:

Anyone who thinks using the commonly used (especially in politicians holiday season, cf Cameron) word 'holibobs' has an effect on 'objectivity' has clearly lost the plot entirely. Or, is just looking for an excuse to be snide.

It clearly does matter. He has made a decree as leader that the front bench are not to join pickets. How he deals with that informs as to his authority and how this policy will hold as strike action increases into the economic/inflationary crisis

Petrol. Yep. Cut fuel duty to bare bones and they will come back from holibobbidydiddle to a lead.
    Yeah, I just thought I'd be as snide as you were repeatedly about the LD campaign in Tiverton & Honiton. Remind me how that ended up for you Tories....

He's sacked the Shadow Transport Secretary - if Nandy has to walk, so be it. Labour needs not to be seen as being too close to the Unions - it just doesn't play well in the marginal seats.

As for fuel duty, this old chestnut - remind me how the Government makes up the £26 billion shortfall from scrapping fuel duty - perhaps we can cut defence as we can't touch the NHS, welfare or pensions. Fuel duty may not be a tax anyone likes but it serves a useful purpose allowing for the provision of other services.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

Chortle.

I did, though on the tv. Quite refreshing to see a SCon not being mealy mouthed in their criticism of other Tories.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:
    Combined with the Opinium figures where everyine is under 30% in all combos it suggests there is not a great deal of confidence out there that anyone will get a grip on all this, nor that an obvious majority is on the cards
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

The Germans did so throughout WW2.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Oh, hello.

I should be careful, having pulled someone else's tail for getting over-excited about one data point earlier today. But.

If Starmer is competitive with Truss before she has had to annoy anyone by taking a real decision... that matters.

"Vote Starmer.. he'll do" remains the slogan for 2024.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS fans please explain

The Germans did so throughout WW2.
    The Germans are rubbish at World Wars though.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

HYUFD said:
    Combined with the Opinium figures where everyine is under 30% in all combos it suggests there is not a great deal of confidence out there that anyone will get a grip on all this, nor that an obvious majority is on the cards
    Or to put it another way: 'they're all useless'
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roll on Autumn I say.

Sympathies

I am very happy with say 24 or 25 degrees.

But not 30 or 31 or worse.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

Chortle.

Is this it? Different Tory on GMS though.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20594201.former-tory-msp-says-liz-truss-lost-vote-inappropriate-nicola-sturgeon-dig/

BTW did you see Partick T have put up signs in the Gàidhlig as well as English? Quite appropriate for the area, but it's upset some folk.
    Virtually every Scotrail station has a Gaelic version of the station name along with the "English" name.

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roll on Autumn I say.

Sympathies

30 is about my fave, because it means soft evenings of about 24C. Gorgeous. It is 24C right now in Camden. Mmm
  • Options
    Leon said:

That's rather charming

Some of the best pop music is definitely non-English speaking. A PB-er once linked to a brilliant Lebanese jazz-metal band (IIRC) and it was great - frustratingly I forget the name

Also check The Hu from Mongolia, in one of the most brilliantly ridiculous videos ever made. Heavy metal nose flutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

I am utterly charmed by it, but still able to discern the impeccable playing from the band, and recognise the quite wonderful singing

I'll check out those bands you mentioned, but I want more Columbian pop music

Check these guys on youtube, they've got 5m+ views for all their videos - they really are pop and they're brilliant
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roll on Autumn I say.

Sympathies

30 is about my fave, because it means soft evenings of about 24C. Gorgeous. It is 24C right now in Camden. Mmm
    Yesterday there was a fire on some farmland right on the edge of Ilford North, barely a mile away from me. Luckily, no properties or lives affected.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    The sky 5 minutes ago over the Duddon Estuary.

At the end of a perfect summer's day. The right amount of heat, the occasional breeze, the air limpid and the garden and trees rich with fullness.

• Options
    @HYUFD

I note for Germany, you quote Lutheran. Does that include all Protestant denominations, or is it really just Lutheran?

Also... The reality is that on your numbers, almost every country in the eurozone is dominated by non believers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

I was looking at the 538 Senate Predictions for 2020, to see how they did.

And they called all but three Senate races right. The three they got wrong were:

(1) Maine, where they thought Ms Collins was a goner, and she wasn't.
    (2) North Carolina, which they thought was a Dem gain
    (3) Georgia, where they thought Perdue would beat out Ossoff

So, a *slight* overestimation of Dems chances, but not a massive one.

I'm still astonished by Collins. She didn't lead in a poll after June yet went onto win by 9 points.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,143
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

Davidson is backing Sunak and has no power to allow indyref2, Truss has made clear she will not allow indyref2 on her watch. Sunak has said the 2014 referendum was once in a generation
    "Not on her watch" is quite a change from "Boris says not till 2050".

Sounds like that Ref is coming like a speed train!
  • Options
    Back to SKS is crap then.

So who would do better with polling evidence please
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

HYUFD said:
    Oh, hello.

I should be careful, having pulled someone else's tail for getting over-excited about one data point earlier today. But.

If Starmer is competitive with Truss before she has had to annoy anyone by taking a real decision... that matters.

Alternatively, Liz Truss grows into the role and accelerates away from Starmer and Labour are out of power until 2029.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

London
    Lab 42%
    Con 28%
    LD 15%
    Grn 10%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 32%
    LD 14%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 3%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 9%
    PC 6%
    Grn 6%
    Ref 4%

North
    Lab 47%
    Con 29%
    Grn 9%
    LD 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 51%
    Con 22%
    Lab 16%
    LD 5%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

Unionist parties 44%

"Not on her watch" is quite a change from "Boris says not till 2050".

Sounds like that Ref is coming like a speed train!
    'Not on her watch' means until 2060 if she stays PM that long!
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Yeah, I just thought I'd be as snide as you were repeatedly about the LD campaign in Tiverton & Honiton. Remind me how that ended up for you Tories....

He's sacked the Shadow Transport Secretary - if Nandy has to walk, so be it. Labour needs not to be seen as being too close to the Unions - it just doesn't play well in the marginal seats.

As for fuel duty, this old chestnut - remind me how the Government makes up the £26 billion shortfall from scrapping fuel duty - perhaps we can cut defence as we can't touch the NHS, welfare or pensions. Fuel duty may not be a tax anyone likes but it serves a useful purpose allowing for the provision of other services.
    I wasn't snide about the LD campaign in Tiverton and Honiton that i recall, repeatedly saying the Tories would probably lose, i was sceptical about the LD 'internal polling' (which was an 8% swing off the actual result)
    No idea where 26 billion comes from, just what the likely result will be in VI terms if they do it.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

@HYUFD

I note for Germany, you quote Lutheran. Does that include all Protestant denominations, or is it really just Lutheran?

Also... The reality is that on your numbers, almost every country in the eurozone is dominated by non believers.

There are more Roman Catholics than all Protestant denominations in Germany now (non Lutheran Protestants insignificant).

A 2019 Euro barometer survey (p229-230 https://europa.eu/eurobarometer/surveys/detail/2251) had 30% of Germans as Roman Catholic and 24% as Protestant. The fact northern Germans are less religious than southern Catholic Bavarians has ensured that Germany has a Roman Catholic plurality for the first time since the Reformation.

As for non believers, only the Netherlands of Eurozone nations has more non believers than Roman Catholics and Protestants combined, so you are not correct on that
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Or to put it another way: 'they're all useless'
    Yes. Very much so.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Spectator TV
    Sir John Curtice on Sunak v Truss and the polls.
    followed by Charles Moore interviewing Rishi Sunak.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ElRsHiPTY
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:
    Oh, hello.

Alternatively, Liz Truss grows into the role and accelerates away from Starmer and Labour are out of power until 2029.
    Possibly. But I'm not sure there's a precedent for it. At least since Thatch, the intial rating has been as about good as it gets. And that makes sense, because a new leader is a blankish slate where people can project their hopes. Reality ought to intervene.

• Options

Back to SKS is crap then.

So who would do better with polling evidence please

So, you’re delighted with Scottish Labour being on 16% and 3rd place?

Baxter gives (new boundaries):

SNP 55 seats (+7)
    Con 1 seat (-5)
    Lab 1 seat (nc)
    LD 0 seats (-2)

= Starmer is a dud

• Options
    Omnium said:

MattW said:

Omnium said:

MattW said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

What would you guess for the "not well disposed" vote to various religions? I'd be amazed if RC wasn't seen poorly for the majority.
    Interesting Q, and I am not really knowledgeable enough to comment for the Netherlands in detail, though I note quite a few parallels in the religious landscape with the UK.

Similarly with the emphasis on freedom of conscience being largely a child of Nonconformist Protestantism.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@HYUFD

There are more Roman Catholics than all Protestant denominations in Germany now (non Lutheran Protestants insignificant).

A 2019 Euro barometer survey (p229-230 https://europa.eu/eurobarometer/surveys/detail/2251) had 30% of Germans as Roman Catholic and 24% as Protestant. The fact northern Germans are less religious than southern Catholic Bavarians has ensured that Germany has a Roman Catholic plurality for the first time since the Reformation.

As for non believers, only the Netherlands of Eurozone nations has more non believers than Roman Catholics and Protestants combined, so you are not correct on that
    Don't you think that adding together Roman Catholics and Protestants is just a teensy weensy bit moving the goalposts?

This discussion has been closed.