Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starmer’s set to have a challenging September – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2022 in General
imageStarmer’s set to have a challenging September – politicalbetting.com

Generally, leaders of the opposition have a good month in August because the government is not able to dominate the news agenda as much and they can often get a look in.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,226
    Before PB-ers reach the entirely bogus assumption that my weird obsession with the remarkably attractive Ms Kari Lake, with the excellent cheekbones, and really quite nice ankles for her age, and that petite swishy way she walks, and her smoky Arizona eyes, like blue desert twilights outside Sedona on a warm April eve, I'd just like to point out that my interest is entirely political, and also informed

I follow quite a lot of Trumpites on Twitter. Just as I follow quite a lot of Corbynites. People like Jack Posobiec and D'Souza

THEY are excited by Kari Lake. She has seized their imaginations. Which tells me something is up
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,827
    This is after he returns from holiday and disciplines Nandy for going to the pickets or lets his strike policy collapse.
    The old 8 times breaching integrity bomb.
    I think Starmer out is the medias next pet project, starmer out and also push for a GE will be their game
  • Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%
  • Who could be Keir’s Owen Smith?
  • Leon said:

Before PB-ers reach the entirely bogus assumption that my weird obsession with the remarkably attractive Ms Kari Lake, with the excellent cheekbones, and really quite nice ankles for her age, and that petite swishy way she walks, and her smoky Arizona eyes, like blue desert twilights outside Sedona on a warm April eve, I'd just like to point out that my interest is entirely political, and also informed

I follow quite a lot of Trumpites on Twitter. Just as I follow quite a lot of Corbynites. People like Jack Posobiec and D'Souza

THEY are excited by Kari Lake. She has seized their imaginations. Which tells me something is up

As I have frankly written off Gilead I'm not that it matters hat much which lunatic gets the gig. Whether Trump is the candidate or not his influence is all-pervasive in what used to be the GOP. And if they win it is the end of democracy in the USA.

So the challenge for the parts of America who aren't religious proto-fascists the challenge is having a candidate who can defeat Trump/Trump's candidate. I am more interested in who replaces the giffer for the Dems.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited August 2022
    Energy price rises in October and what do you intend to do about them will be what's on folks minds.
    Am astonished at the newspapers and radio.
    They seem to have had an overnight revelation that the economy is in some difficulty.
    Probably because journalists have large mortgages.
  • Hustings tonight in an hour's time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnY1PqjAZm8 (The Sun; other streaming sites exist)

Rishi's Youtube channel including a pre-hustings message
    https://www.youtube.com/c/RishiSunakMP/videos

(Liz Truss's Youtube channel has not been updated in years although she is active on other social media platforms.)
  • This is after he returns from holiday and disciplines Nandy for going to the pickets or lets his strike policy collapse.

Is there much of a story on that latter point? I don't think any major politician does their own return, his was perfectly correct just submitted by his team marginally late. If anything was late and not allowed, that would be interesting. But late and within the rules? Meh.

Go attack him on his LibDem-esque fence sitting with regards to the strikes. That is much more fun & juicy.
  • Who could be Keir’s Owen Smith?

Check for irrelevant non-entities near ice-cream vans...
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    From previous thread: The three Republican members of Congress who voted to impeach Trump and survived, so far, all ran in "top-two" primaries: Jaime Herrera Beutler (WA 3rd), Dan Newhouse (WA 4th), and David Valadao (CA, 21st)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Valadao

(Something I hadn't known aboout Valadao: "During his first tenure in the House, Valadao consistently ranked as the poorest member of Congress by net worth, with over $17.5 million in debt in 2018, mainly loans to his family's dairy farm."

Not exactly a country club Republican then. (Neither are Beutler or Newhouse, for that matter.)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,053
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

The question we want answered is : is she better than the Vaduz pickle? Or the Georgian wine?
    edited August 2022

This is after he returns from holiday and disciplines Nandy for going to the pickets or lets his strike policy collapse.

Is there much of a story on that latter point? I don't think any major politician does their own return, his was perfectly correct just submitted by his team marginally late. If anything was late and not allowed, that would be interesting. But late and within the rules? Meh.

Go attack him on his LibDem-esque fence sitting with regards to the strikes. That is much more fun & juicy.
    He repeatedly says he doesnt blame staff and yet its his office at fault for late filings. His party say he is 'Mr Rules' but he repeatedly failed to follow them. He declared himself Lord High Integritron and 'not like the other boys'
    Hes a hypocrite and an oaf. Always worth pointing out.

But yes, i agree his laughable attempt to distance the Labour Party from the labour movement is endless gold
    I would have thought Johnson could manage a better party after all that practice...

https://twitter.com/gamray/status/1555503640122691584?t=lJRrHgiCQVJTG8-GWDmCyA&s=19
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Cameron trailed Brown Labour for a few months from summer 2007, by Christmas the Tories were clearly ahead again.

If the above is repeated for Starmer he won't have to much to worry about. If a likely Truss led Tories are still ahead by Christmas, even despite rising cost of living etc, then he will
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

As I have frankly written off Gilead I'm not that it matters hat much which lunatic gets the gig. Whether Trump is the candidate or not his influence is all-pervasive in what used to be the GOP. And if they win it is the end of democracy in the USA.

So the challenge for the parts of America who aren't religious proto-fascists the challenge is having a candidate who can defeat Trump/Trump's candidate. I am more interested in who replaces the giffer for the Dems.
    Why is it the end of democracy? Trump or a Trump backed candidate could win the EC in 2024 and even if they don't unless the GOP win both the House and Senate by big margins in November, Congress would ensure the result of the EC is implemented as it did in 2020. Either way the elected Congress would be decisive again.

Though having said that Buttigieg is the Democrats best chance of holding the Oval Office in 2024
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

Cameron trailed Brown Labour for a few months from summer 2007, by Christmas the Tories were clearly ahead again.

If the above is repeated for Starmer he won't have to much to worry about. If a likely Truss led Tories are still ahead by Christmas, even despite rising cost of living etc, then he will

Yes, is suspect the next election will be late March 2023 (poss Feb) if polls hold or Jan 25 if not, with a Christmas and New Year interrupted campaign trying to minimise any Labour or LD bandwagon roll
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Foxy said:

I would have thought Johnson could manage a better party after all that practice...

https://twitter.com/gamray/status/1555503640122691584?t=lJRrHgiCQVJTG8-GWDmCyA&s=19

Did you see the photos of the parties? They looked terrible.

HYUFD said:

Yes, is suspect the next election will be late March 2023 if polls hold or Jan 25 if not, with a Christmas and New Year interrupted campaign trying to minimise any Labour or LD bandwagon roll
    If Labour are back ahead by Christmas, the next general election won't be until well into 2024 at the earliest
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

The question we want answered is : is she better than the Vaduz pickle? Or the Georgian wine?
    No. The Vadasz dill pickles win. They are that good

They should put it on the jars. EVEN BETTER THAN KARI LAKE BITCHSLAPPING THAT AUSSIE GUY
  • JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    Ballot paper arrived this morning.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    HYUFD said:

The denouement of the NI protocol legislation will be an important moment for Truss. If the EU disappoints its more belligerent supporters who want a trade war with Tory Britain then she will grow in stature.
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, is suspect the next election will be late March 2023 if polls hold or Jan 25 if not, with a Christmas and New Year interrupted campaign trying to minimise any Labour or LD bandwagon roll
    If Labour are back ahead by Christmas, the next general election won't be until well into 2024 at the earliest
    Agreed. If Liz leads by around 5 or more mid late Jan into Feb she will i think go for it, if not then we go very long, probably max
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Boris is not a party animal. He likes women and food and power, not parties
  • This is after he returns from holiday and disciplines Nandy for going to the pickets or lets his strike policy collapse.

He repeatedly says he doesnt blame staff and yet its his office at fault for late filings. His party say he is 'Mr Rules' but he repeatedly failed to follow them. He declared himself Lord High Integritron and 'not like the other boys'

But yes, i agree his laughable attempt to distance the Labour Party from the labour movement is endless gold
    Is he a hypocrite? Again, he isn't personally breaking rules. Should his staff up their game? Yes. But trying to make out that he is Johnson is just silly.

On the strikes, I know why he has set out his position as it is. Unions unaffiliated and not working towards a Labour victory, need to rise above it all etc etc. But he set a line in the sand that his own team can't toe. Which is silly.

"Labour movement" is pretty much meaningless these days. So many unions unaffiliated and uninterested in Labour being in government or not. Of the few wo remain affiliated at least one is openly bonkers.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    It’s happened. https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1555590185445998592/photo/1

"It's like, how much more Union Jack could this be? And the answer is none. None more Jack."

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1555598550930956289/photo/1
  • HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Why is it the end of democracy? Trump or a Trump backed candidate could win the EC in 2024 and even if they don't unless the GOP win both the House and Senate by big margins in November, Congress would ensure the result of the EC is implemented as it did in 2020. Either way the elected Congress would be decisive again.

Though having said that Buttigieg is the Democrats best chance of holding the Oval Office in 2024
    Why? Because when Trump / Trump's candidate wins in 2024, they will never ever ever give up power. I am not talking about they trying to rig a false win in 2024, I am talking about what they will do to remove democracy if they do win in 2024.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,179
    Scott_xP said:

It’s happened. https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1555590185445998592/photo/1

"It's like, how much more Union Jack could this be? And the answer is none. None more Jack."

History repeats itself twice. First as tragedy. Then as farce.
  • Leon said:

Anyway, you say that Ms Lake is interesting and swishy. Compared to Mistress Truss, who will quite literally whip any malcontents in her cabinet as PM, is Ms Lake really that interesting? We are about to get a dominatrix PM and a cabinet of man babies. Hard to propose any political scenario as interesting as that.
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Why? Because when Trump / Trump's candidate wins in 2024, they will never ever ever give up power. I am not talking about they trying to rig a false win in 2024, I am talking about what they will do to remove democracy if they do win in 2024.
    They won't get power unless a) they win the Electoral College fair and square in 2024 which would be fully democratic or b) the elected Congress gives them power and overturns the EC result, which would also be democratic to the extent Congress is elected.

They also can't change the Constitution without overwhelming support in Congress and the state legislatures and the armed forces swear allegiance to the Constitution as much as the President
    Cicero said:

Scott_xP said:

History repeats itself twice. First as tragedy. Then as farce.
    She's ditched the subby necklace there. BUT LOOK AT THE CHAINS ON THE DRESS
    I'd be extremely sceptical of an early election unless the Tories are absolutely miles ahead which seems unlikely. Who wants to be on the shortest PM tenure ever list by their own hand, especially when the long overdue boundary changes are less than a year away.
  • Leon said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Women, food, power and exotic holidays.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Starmer's going to have the time of his life in September

how many affordable homes did you build?

- I don't have the exact number

- It's easy to remember, it's zero

And

Nobody has changed their mind over brexit

- You did

- Yes I did

How is she going to survive her first PMQs?
  • JonWC said:

I have to express my condolences. Not since Owen Who Jones was put up against Jezbollah in 2016 have party members been given a choice where both candidates are this bad.

Mistress Truss is an S&M dominatrix whose only firm grim is on her whip - so God help us all with the economic crash smashing its way down this autumn. Or we can have Rishi, who appears to be backing a "look I've already given you a shiny ha'penny what more do you people want?" strategy.

Leon said:

Anyway, you say that Ms Lake is interesting and swishy. Compared to Mistress Truss, who will quite literally whip any malcontents in her cabinet as PM, is Ms Lake really that interesting? We are about to get a dominatrix PM and a cabinet of man babies. Hard to propose any political scenario as interesting as that.
    Truss is not dom, certainly not pure dom. The notorious necklace is sub. When I first noticed these motifs - two minutes after I started watching the first debate (ahem) - I surmised she is a Switch. Everything I have seen and heard since confirms that view
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

They won't get power unless a) they win the Electoral College fair and square in 2024 which would be fully democratic or b) the elected Congress gives them power and overturns the EC result, which would also be democratic to the extent Congress is elected.

They also can't change the Constitution without overwhelming support in Congress and the state legislatures and the armed forces swear allegiance to the Constitution as much as the President
    Yes. And that is the scenario. Trump wins in 24. GileadOP controls congress. They simply subvert all of the checks and balances and mechanisms to ensure that they never lose again.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    Scott_xP said:

Gives a whole new meaning to the expression 'jack shit.'

Leon said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Women, food, power and exotic holidays.
    Indeed. And who can blame him

I've reached an age where I don't like parties. Indeed I reached it a decade ago, too noisy, too many people, too much faff, I can't use my dwindling charms on a laydee if I have to shout

Food wine women power and exotic holidays sounds a lot better
  • IshmaelZ said:

Starmer's going to have the time of his life in September

how many affordable homes did you build?

- I don't have the exact number

- It's easy to remember, it's zero

And

Nobody has changed their mind over brexit

- You did

- Yes I did

How is she going to survive her first PMQs?

"No! No! No!" followed by "I'm enjoying this!"
    Scott_xP said:

Nothing weird about those waist chains
  • IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

The old chap is inserted through one of them. The boys through the one below. Then she tightens them.
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

She's clearly trolling now. That's a totally BDSM dress. I can't help admiring her for her chutzpah

Is he a hypocrite? Again, he isn't personally breaking rules. Should his staff up their game? Yes. But trying to make out that he is Johnson is just silly.

On the strikes, I know why he has set out his position as it is. Unions unaffiliated and not working towards a Labour victory, need to rise above it all etc etc. But he set a line in the sand that his own team can't toe. Which is silly.

"Labour movement" is pretty much meaningless these days. So many unions unaffiliated and uninterested in Labour being in government or not. Of the few wo remain affiliated at least one is openly bonkers.
    Of course he is personally breaking rules. He cant abdicate his personal responsibility for correctly and accurately reporting his interests. He wanted to be seen as different, but hes not. He can't be arsed to live up to his own billing. He's not Johnson but nor is he Gandhi. Hes not different, not better. Hes a lawyer with no eye for detail when it comes to his own probity. And he is on record saying 'i never blame my staff' before blaming his underlings because he is, it transpires, too important to be troubled by rules and regulations the other MPs follow.

He didnt have to figuratively get his cock out and remark upon its integrity. But he did.

Of course he is personally breaking rules. He cant abdicate his personal responsibility for correctly and accurately reporting his interests. He wanted to be seen as different, but hes not. He can't be arsed to live up to his own billing. He's not Johnson but nor is he Gandhi. Hes not different, not better. Hes a lawyer with no eye for detail when it comes to his own probity. And he is on record saying 'i never blame my staff' before blaming his underlings because he is, it transpires, too important to be troubled by rules and regulations the other MPs follow.

He didnt have to figuratively get his cock out and remark upon its integrity. But he did.
    Never fear. "Get your cock out" is one of Mistress Truss's early commands.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    The new Predator movie 'Prey' is really good. Went in with fairly low expectations and really enjoyed it a lot.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

HYUFD said:

The denouement of the NI protocol legislation will be an important moment for Truss. If the EU disappoints its more belligerent supporters who want a trade war with Tory Britain then she will grow in stature.
    I'm not sure who wants a trade war with Britain. If we unilaterally change the protocol that's what we'll have the prepare for though.
    edited August 2022

JonWC said:

I have to express my condolences. Not since Owen Who Jones was put up against Jezbollah in 2016 have party members been given a choice where both candidates are this bad.

Mistress Truss is an S&M dominatrix whose only firm grim is on her whip - so God help us all with the economic crash smashing its way down this autumn. Or we can have Rishi, who appears to be backing a "look I've already given you a shiny ha'penny what more do you people want?" strategy.
    Thanks. No need to send a card.

Actually I saw them at that Exeter hustings and was pleasantly surprised.

I only joined two years ago expressly to vote for Rishi, and in performance terms he is excellent, and he has a grip on even quite obscure issues. Starmer would struggle against him I think. I also think he is right about it being too early for tax cuts until inflation is under control. On the other hand why has he been appointing useless people to the BoE and not holding them to account.

Truss also has positives, quite close to being a classical liberal (like me). Annoys all the right people. I tend to think people who were active LibDems at Oxford should be running the country.. She has improved her presentation quite a lot and comes across as plain spoken which I like, but maybe that strays into shooting from the hip a bit too often (spent a lot of time with Boris I guess). Also disturbed by the continuity Boris thing. All seems a bit Trumpy and awful.

Undecided.

He was late declaring his free tickets for staff to the British Kebab awards, and has been skewered as a result.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM

bOP!
    Foxy said:

He was late declaring his free tickets for staff to the British Kebab awards, and has been skewered as a result.
    He forgot to disclose his donners on time
    Wow, never seen this. All the Brexit promises in a 90sec campaign video.
    It’s all here: cheaper food, lower NHS waiting times, more money for schools, good news for farming/fishing, higher wages, less red tape.
    They’ll play this in museums in future.

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1555249564663398401/video/1
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes. And that is the scenario. Trump wins in 24. GileadOP controls congress. They simply subvert all of the checks and balances and mechanisms to ensure that they never lose again.
    Anyone who doesn't think this is what the Trump cult formerly known as GOP will attempt to do has simply not being paying attention. If Trump/Trumpy person wins in 2024 they will stop at nothing to stop a further free and democratic election taking place in 2028.

They may not succeed. Who knows. But the process will tear the republic to pieces imho.

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Scottish signalling - unnecessary packing in the bagging area.

Foxy said:

He forgot to disclose his donners on time
    To be fair, nobody goes to a Kebab shop unless so pissed that they can barely walk, and consequently can barely remember. If they ask for the chili sauce the ring burn is the only reminder.
    edited August 2022
    Taj Mahal there. In the middle. Shot taken with an iPhone 10 from the Curzon Suite of the Agra Oberoi, really making the most of the light on the domes

• boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    Leon said:

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

bOP!

I will always be amused at a hungover morning in our house at university watching MTV when Mbop came on and one of the chaps said “I know the middle one is a bit young but she’s really pretty”. Cue five other chaps turning to him with looks of confusion, mirth and pity for he knew not it was a boy.

Happy confusing times before bands had to announce their pronouns.
  • Leon, what is your prognostication re: your previous GOP heart-throb, namely Sarah Palin?

Most recent public polling, by Alaska Survey Research, projects that Palin will NOT win special congressional election on August 16, for remainder of late Don Young's term. That she will lose on transfers (in ranked choice election) to either fellow Republican Nick Begich (most likely scenario) OR to Democrat Mary Sattler Peltola.

Incidentally, the pollster just released survey for the REGULAR general election for the full term, with essentially same result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_House_of_Representatives_election_in_Alaska
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    We done this? Johnson donor charged in the US for bribing Puerto Rican officials

https://www.ft.com/content/7144a19a-0d8a-4b11-9981-46b7cda3c1df?shareType=nongift

'US authorities have charged a significant donor to the Tory party, alleging that he illegally provided campaign donations to a former governor of Puerto Rico in a scheme to remove a senior banking regulator from his post.

The charges brought by the US Department of Justice against Julio Herrera Velutini, a Venezuelan banker who relocated to London in recent years, threaten to rekindle controversy over Tory party fundraising.

He has donated more than half a million pounds to the party since Boris Johnson took office, including £100,000 days before the 2019 general election. The donations were made through Britannia Financial, the Venezuelan financier’s London-based financial services group'
    Can someone PLEASE ask me for my Taj Mahal story?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Scott_xP said:

Wow, never seen this. All the Brexit promises in a 90sec campaign video.
    It’s all here: cheaper food, lower NHS waiting times, more money for schools, good news for farming/fishing, higher wages, less red tape.
    They’ll play this in museums in future.

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1555249564663398401/video/1

Maybe, also alongside videos of Covid and the ukraine Russian war?
    Leon said:

Get one of your aliases to do it
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

If the GOP win the midterms in November by a landslide fair enough, though polls don't suggest that.

However elections would still have to be held in future under the Constitution for both President and Congress, although Congress and the states can choose the time for the latter, unless they changed the Constitution which would require the support of the vast majority of the states too.

They would also need the armed forces behind them and the armed forces swear allegiance to the Constitution as much as the President
    Leon said:

You ordered your curry and the staff switched it for a phaal and hilarity ensued?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Leon said:

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

bOP!

You met Hanson?
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

If the GOP win the midterms in November by a landslide fair enough, though polls don't suggest that.

However elections would still have to be held in future under the Constitution for both President and Congress unless they changed the Constitution which would require the support of the vast majority of the states too.

They would also need the armed forces behind them and the armed forces swear allegiance to the Constitution as much as the President
    They'll just ban the democrats from running.
  • OrkaOrka Posts: 10
    Leon, can you tell us your Taj Mahal story? I for one am all ears. I think everyone is. I love your wry, witty comments
    Orka said:

Leon, can you tell us your Taj Mahal story? I for one am all ears. I think everyone is. I love your wry, witty comments

Well, thanks Orka - and welcome to the site!

But actually I'm a bit busy now, so it might have to wait
    Orka said:

Hahahahahahaha. Good to see Orka back at such a crucial time!
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Orka said:

Hmmm. No full stop. Asking a boring old wind bag for a boastful story...
  • JonWC said:

JonWC said:

Thanks. No need to send a card.

Actually I saw them at that Exeter hustings and was pleasantly surprised.

I only joined two years ago expressly to vote for Rishi, and in performance terms he is excellent, and he has a grip on even quite obscure issues. Starmer would struggle against him I think. I also think he is right about it being too early for tax cuts until inflation is under control. On the other hand why has he been appointing useless people to the BoE and not holding them to account.

Truss also has positives, quite close to being a classical liberal (like me). Annoys all the right people. I tend to think people who were active LibDems at Oxford should be running the country.. She has improved her presentation quite a lot and comes across as plain spoken which I like, but maybe that strays into shooting from the hip a bit too often (spent a lot of time with Boris I guess). Also disturbed by the continuity Boris thing. All seems a bit Trumpy and awful.

Undecided.
    Rishi needs to say inflation less and cost of living crisis more.
  • Here in the great Evergreen State, former initiative guru Tim Eyman, once called the "4th branch of state government" is continuing to go splat in epic fashion. Though maybe in not quite as notable a fashion as when he was arrested for stealing an office chair from an Office Depot store, based on security cam footage.

Seattle Times ($) - Tim Eyman forced to sell house to pay campaign finance fines, debts

Tim Eyman, the longtime anti-tax advocate and serial initiative promoter who was found liable last year for “numerous and particularly egregious” violations of campaign finance law, has been forced to sell his house to help pay off millions of dollars of fines and debt.

A federal bankruptcy judge Thursday approved a resolution requiring Eyman to sell his portion of a Mukilteo house to his ex-wife. The $900,000 in proceeds will go toward paying off the more than $5.6 million in sanctions and legal fees he owes the state of Washington and other creditors.

Eyman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Eyman was fined more than $2.6 million in February 2021 after a Thurston County judge found he had enriched himself by laundering political donations, had accepted kickbacks from a signature-gathering company, secretly shuttled money between initiative campaigns and concealed the source of other political contributions.

In the history of Washington state’s campaign finance law, “it would be difficult for the Court to conceive of a case with misconduct that is more egregious or more extensive,” Thurston County Superior Court Judge James Dixon wrote.

Eyman was subsequently ordered to pay more than $2.9 million in legal fees to cover the cost of Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s yearslong investigation and prosecution of the case.

Eyman has paid about $538,000 in fines and fees but still owes more than $5.6 million, including accrued interest, according to Ferguson’s office. . . .

SSI - Just another proto-Putinist GOP grifter, a worthy precursor for Donald Trump, Alex Jones, etc., etc.
  • Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

As hustings are due to start

Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%
    Leon said:

Orka said:

Chiz! But everything you do and say is brilliant and you're totally great, can't you just please give us one more minute? Before you go off on another glamorous night on the town, adorned with your charm and suavity?
    edited August 2022
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

However elections would still have to be held in future under the Constitution for both President and Congress unless they changed the Constitution which would require the support of the vast majority of the states too.

They'll just ban the democrats from running.
    No constitutional power to do so, though Congress has some say over timings of the elections.

Though if the GOP controlled the White House and Congress and set the next election for both to 50 years, inevitably the Democrat voting states would leave the Union, which would already be GOP dominated anyway
    Tres said:

We done this? Johnson donor charged in the US for bribing Puerto Rican officials

https://www.ft.com/content/7144a19a-0d8a-4b11-9981-46b7cda3c1df?shareType=nongift

'US authorities have charged a significant donor to the Tory party, alleging that he illegally provided campaign donations to a former governor of Puerto Rico in a scheme to remove a senior banking regulator from his post.

The charges brought by the US Department of Justice against Julio Herrera Velutini, a Venezuelan banker who relocated to London in recent years, threaten to rekindle controversy over Tory party fundraising.

He has donated more than half a million pounds to the party since Boris Johnson took office, including £100,000 days before the 2019 general election. The donations were made through Britannia Financial, the Venezuelan financier’s London-based financial services group'

Yes, but did he declare his free football tickets a day late? That is the real story of this thread!
  • Leon said:

Taj Mahal there. In the middle. Shot taken with an iPhone 10 from the Curzon Suite of the Agra Oberoi, really making the most of the light on the domes

Where you filming bio pic of life & times of Edwina Mountbatten?
  • Will the hustings cover decades of Tory defence cuts?

UK's ability to train fast jet pilots in crisis as threats grow from Russia and China, leaked documents suggest

RAF recruits are spending months flying desks instead of warplanes as they wait for training slots to open. The delays could hamper the future availability of crews to operate frontline squadrons at a time of growing threats from Russia and China, and with a war raging in Europe.

https://news.sky.com/story/uks-ability-to-train-fast-jet-pilots-in-crisis-due-to-faulty-aircraft-and-instructors-shortage-leaked-documents-suggest-12666275
    Leon said:

Orka said:

I promise I'll be in your bed, tonight. YES. ME. Orka!

Just give us the Taj Mahal story
    Orka said:

Leon said:

Orka said:

I promise I'll be in your bed, tonight. YES. ME. Orka!

Just give us the Taj Mahal story
    Really?
    Foxy said:

Tres said:

Yes, but did he declare his free football tickets a day late? That is the real story of this thread!
    Lol. Poor old serial offender 'honest' Keir Starmer
    No, I must be firm. The Taj Mahal Story will have to wait. Even and anon. Let us hie to the Stews
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Marc Andressen, noted billionaire critic of restrictive zoning policies in American cities preventing hoise building had this to say about development in his neighbourhood

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1555551099620401152?t=fisgQ1YpMtfcenTFhJe1QA&s=09

Will the hustings cover decades of Tory defence cuts?

UK's ability to train fast jet pilots in crisis as threats grow from Russia and China, leaked documents suggest

RAF recruits are spending months flying desks instead of warplanes as they wait for training slots to open. The delays could hamper the future availability of crews to operate frontline squadrons at a time of growing threats from Russia and China, and with a war raging in Europe.

https://news.sky.com/story/uks-ability-to-train-fast-jet-pilots-in-crisis-due-to-faulty-aircraft-and-instructors-shortage-leaked-documents-suggest-12666275

I remember DA having a moan about this. It seems another poorly performing PFI contract. One signed off by Gordon Brown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Military_Flying_Training_System
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415

Will the hustings cover decades of Tory defence cuts?

might be a good thing as the world will be a desperate place if RAF is engaging with Russia or China =best not encourage it
    Leon said:

No, I must be firm. The Taj Mahal Story will have to wait. Even and anon. Let us hie to the Stews

Looks like you had more fun at the Agra Oberoi than I did (regardless of me being there with what looks like the same girl you were with).

Turned up after a two day journey from Pushkar Camel Fair and absolutely couldn’t wait to wallow in splendour and get totally drunk only to find out there was some State Visit so the hotel was dry for two days.

Never had such a bad holiday disappointment.

Not sure if you agree but found the Agra Oberoi very soulless and only rescued by those views - the Taj Mahal of course, not the other.
    Bit of fun there
  • Green dress for Liz. She has sharpened up her introductory speech to address Rishi.

Heckler alert.
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Looks like you had more fun at the Agra Oberoi than I did (regardless of me being there with what looks like the same girl you were with).

Turned up after a two day journey from Pushkar Camel Fair and absolutely couldn’t wait to wallow in splendour and get totally drunk only to find out there was some State Visit so the hotel was dry for two days.

Not sure if you agree but found the Agra Oberoi very soulless and only rescued by those views - the Taj Mahal of course, not the other.
    My story is quite something. But I am en route to Soho

BBC excelling themselves with the games tonight showing the hockey on both channels whilst the athletics just goes on by
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Leon said:

Is this DALL-E-2 again?
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Was it the same girl? I wouldn’t put it past her. Mine was a goer

Very submissive and super kinky Camden policewoman aged about 25 and looked 21. I was 53. For shame

She could REDACTED REDACTED OMG REDACTED
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Leon said:

Is this DALL-E-2 again?
    Think it's just an everyday girl with a beard and glasses shot from behind. Leon travels.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721
    edited August 2022
    boulay said:

Leon said:

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

bOP!

I will always be amused at a hungover morning in our house at university watching MTV when Mbop came on and one of the chaps said “I know the middle one is a bit young but she’s really pretty”. Cue five other chaps turning to him with looks of confusion, mirth and pity for he knew not it was a boy.

Happy confusing times before bands had to announce their pronouns.
    DAs favourite Family Guy character (I'm guessing here based on his post today):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OamjBYCAz4
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Was it the same girl? I wouldn’t put it past her. Mine was a goer

Very submissive and super kinky Camden policewoman aged about 25 and looked 21. I was 53. For shame

She could REDACTED REDACTED OMG REDACTED
    Haha! Nearer to her mother’s age (assuming she had child young). Luckily we only have PB in common!

BBC excelling themselves with the games tonight showing the hockey on both channels whilst the athletics just goes on by

STILL showing the hockey on BOTH channels! Why FGS? There is athletics on
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Leon said:

Oh go on then. I hope it's a romantic one.
  • Liz Truss's speech is less French tonight, and its content has been updated. Maybe Team Truss reads pb.
    Osram Raab bombing. Loser.
This discussion has been closed.