Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s set to have a challenging September – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,147
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Can someone PLEASE ask me for my Taj Mahal story?

Oh go on then. I hope it's a romantic one.
    But do hurry up. Gardener's World is on soon.

(I do realise this phrase could apply in many situations .....)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Rishi wrote the seminal paper on freeports, OMG. Lay off your Liz bets while there is still time.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879
    Is the Cost of Living crisis getting to you? Just follow Keir Starmer's Top Tip and get your favourite club to give you tickets worth £1,400 for one match for free, then 'forget' to declare them in time!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Rishi wrote the seminal paper on freeports, OMG. Lay off your Liz bets while there is still time.

Raab sounds like he is reading Rishi's own introduction speech.

Liz now favours freeports low tax enterprise zones.
  • Options
    Oh god the selfies with kiddies joke again. He doesn't read rooms.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    IshmaelZ said:

It's a tough vote. Sunak has basically told us he's going to manage a car crash. Truss has suggested policies that might be a great escape.

I was nailed on for Sunak, but I now think I'll vote Truss.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,140
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I suspect the word "romantic" will be doing some very heavy lifting.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Sandpit said:

40,000th!

Hats off!

And the one I remember as if it were yesterday is the 23,782nd - I totally agreed with that.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,845
    EXCLUSIVE: The UK's ability to train fast jet pilots is in crisis because of faulty aircraft, a need for more instructors and an influx of foreign students filling up the course, leaked @RoyalAirForce documents suggest.

1/
    https://bit.ly/3oTZjKC

Recruits are spending months - sometimes years - effectively flying desks instead of warplanes as they wait for training slots to open.

But the FLSOJ got a seat...
  • Options
    Woke has come up on the Rishi focus groups obv, but attacks "on our history and our women" sounds a bit pre war; some of your audience actually are women, mate, and prolly resent references to their chattel status.
  • Options

Liz Cheney
    @Liz_Cheney

“In our nation’s 246 year history there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our Republic than Donald Trump.” Dick Cheney

https://twitter.com/Liz_Cheney/status/1555270027871338496
  • Options
    Farm food not solar. Has that been properly focus-grouped? You'd have thought more food *and* more solar power would be popular.
  • Options
    Rishi's addressed his "defund the urban poor" clip by reference to poorer parts of small and coastal towns.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,851

Liz Cheney
    @Liz_Cheney

“In our nation’s 246 year history there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our Republic than Donald Trump.” Dick Cheney

Jefferson Davis maybe?
  • Options
    25% of audience have totally made their minds up according to show of hands at hustings.
  • Options
    There's another month of this rubbish.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Get rid of the flags. They add nothing and look pretentious.

I'm starting to wonder whether we judged Corbyn too harshly.

At least he wasn't a phoney
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,851
    Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: The UK's ability to train fast jet pilots is in crisis because of faulty aircraft, a need for more instructors and an influx of foreign students filling up the course, leaked @RoyalAirForce documents suggest.

1/
    https://bit.ly/3oTZjKC

Recruits are spending months - sometimes years - effectively flying desks instead of warplanes as they wait for training slots to open.

But the FLSOJ got a seat...

Despite being no supporter of Boris do you think there might just possibly be a bit of a difference with a PR job, single flight with him compared to putting a pilot through a full training programme?
  • Options

There's another month of this rubbish.

Believe me "this rubbish" will continue long after this contest ends.

Campaign in poetry, govern in garbage.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,952
    Scott_xP said:

It’s happened. https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1555590185445998592/photo/1

"It's like, how much more Union Jack could this be? And the answer is none. None more Jack."

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1555598550930956289/photo/1

Tedious as I find the dominatrix Liz stuff, that belt/chain thing..
  • Options
    "economically inactive" does not mean "unemployed" as Liz Truss well knows even as she just said that.

What happens at Oxford PPE tutorials? Do they all agree about something economically and then say "but of course when one of you runs to be leader of our party you will have spout bollocks about this aspect of the subject"?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It’s happened. https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1555590185445998592/photo/1

"It's like, how much more Union Jack could this be? And the answer is none. None more Jack."

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1555598550930956289/photo/1

Tedious as I find the dominatrix Liz stuff, that belt/chain thing..
    And Liz just said "switch" fnarr fnarr. Otoh, who cares? It's not like we can bet on it.
  • Options
    Truss wants uk to develop its own google or apple.

Doubt she has a clue how that would actually happen.
  • Options
    Question on disability and PIP.

Excellent.

Truss admits she has no idea about the level of the benefit.
  • Options
    XR rebellion protest at hustings.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,835

Excellent.

It’s way better to admit you don’t know a number, than to take a stab at it and be miles away.

She’s the Foreign Secretary now, not the Treasury Secretary any more, and probably has an out-of-date number in the back of her head somewhere, which it can be difficult not to blurt out under pressure.
  • Options
    Ha, a dozen likes for earlier post. Thanks! Last time I got that many for one post, I had to write 500 words on Ukraine for it! 🇺🇦
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Excellent.

It’s way better to admit you don’t know a number, than to take a stab at it and be miles away.

She’s the Foreign Secretary now, not the Treasury Secretary any more, and probably has an out-of-date number in the back of her head somewhere, which it can be difficult not to blurt out under pressure.
    Yet I cannot believe that her surgeries and email boxes are not full of people coming with benefit questions.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited August 2022
    JonWC said:

Also disturbed by the continuity Boris thing. All seems a bit Trumpy and awful.

Cruddas is a fighter. The allegation of offering "cash for access" was upheld in court, but nonetheless he won libel damages. Continuity Johnson may have legs. Johnson could squelch it now if he wanted.

Johnson may have the status of "dead but he won't lay down". Perhaps he'll be weakened further. I have put a few more pounds on Raab as next PM at 720.

The Carlton played a role in 2022 in a distorted echo of 1922. Maybe there will be a story about a groper (or worse) at the Athenaeum or White's, or a bondage party in Knightsbridge, and we'll get further into uncharted territory. Sunak seems to be fighting hard and he's got resources. I wouldn't rule him out.

But none of this is Trumpy. Johnson has been called e.g. "narcissist". He's not. He's an extravert who likes the sound of his own voice, sails close to the wind, and sometimes wings it. He's not a nutter. He's not brilliant, but he's educated. He wouldn't in a million years say switch off the metal detectors, let them through with their guns and knives because none of them want to shoot Meee, as Trump did on 6 January.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Sandpit said:

Excellent.

Yup. As a rule, if a politician gets “price of milk” questions right it just means they get a one page briefing on it each morning and retained the number today. Nothing more and nothing less.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,036
    Roger said:

Get rid of the flags. They add nothing and look pretentious.

I'm starting to wonder whether we judged Corbyn too harshly.

At least he wasn't a phoney

No Roger, he was an unelectable Anti- Semite. Starmer may be a dud but he's heading in the right direction. One more heave for 2029.
  • Options
    Truss voice is just weird imho. Something distinctly odd. Kinda of faux posh and we know she did not speak like this when she was younger (as she has said).

How will it go down with the voters?

We shall soon see.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Sandpit said:

Ha, a dozen likes for earlier post. Thanks! Last time I got that many for one post, I had to write 500 words on Ukraine for it! 🇺🇦

Your continuing efforts to wander into the realm of talking sense have charmed all of us :)
  • Options

Hasn’t Matt Hancock got an app?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    Leon said:

Taj Mahal there. In the middle. Shot taken with an iPhone 10 from the Curzon Suite of the Agra Oberoi, really making the most of the light on the domes

Go back and get a better picture of it in the rosy light of pre- dawn.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Excellent.

Yup. As a rule, if a politician gets “price of milk” questions right it just means they get a one page briefing on it each morning and retained the number today. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Cameron famously got that one-page briefing, on ‘gotcha’ questions hacks would ask of ministers.

The only one I wouldn’t give them a pass for not knowing, is the price of petrol. You see it written in foot-high lights, dozens of times a day.
  • Options

Every prime minister needs a Dido.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    IshmaelZ said:

Woke has come up on the Rishi focus groups obv, but attacks "on our history and our women" sounds a bit pre war; some of your audience actually are women, mate, and prolly resent references to their chattel status.

He really said that? That's a double yuck with a side helping of yuck served with a yuck sauce.
  • Options

It was called ARM…..
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

Dildo. Every Prime Minister needs a dildo.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416

Reminds me of the Thick of it when Peter Mannion had to encourage App building amongst the youth!
  • Options
    biggles said:

It was called ARM…..
    Yep.

Time after time the same mistakes are made.
  • Options

Do we know which team he has gone for?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Sandpit said:

Dynamo said:

Dildo. Every Prime Minister needs a dildo.
    Not many word similarity jokes get past you, eh? :smiley:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,376
    edited August 2022

Handled well.

Though if they are checking Tory members before allowing them in, does this mean the great unwashed have been giving £25 each to the Conservatives?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

The new Predator movie 'Prey' is really good. Went in with fairly low expectations and really enjoyed it a lot.

Sounds good, Disney+ have a whole Predator section I noticed earlier now, I gu as that's why.

Just seen Lightyear which has just been added to Disney+ for family movie night.

I didn't have high expectations, I'd tried to miss reviews as I didn't want spoilers but had heard mixed things about it, but it was really enjoyable and the whole family loved it.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    MattW said:

Handled well.

Though if they are checking Tory members before allowing them in, does this mean the great unwashed have been giving £25 each to the Conservatives?
    Probably ‘borrowed’ membership cards from their now very embarrassed parents!

That said, half a dozen of them paid £300 each to go to the Grand Prix at Silverstone, only to find themselves in the back of a paddy wagon five minutes after the race started.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

40,000th!

Way to go!!! Congrats.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,358
    MattW said:

Handled well.

My guess is that they genuinely joined the Cinservative Party in order to have their moment in the sun.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,905
    Sandpit said:

Excellent.

Do you think she'd have got a Foreign Office stat right? I have my doubts.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416

Sandpit said:

40,000th!

Way to go!!! Congrats.
    great achievement!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,060
    edited August 2022
    Sandpit said:

biggles said:

It was called ARM…..
    Yep.

Time after time the same mistakes are made.
    It’s what naturally happens when a country has a £150bn balance of payments deficit.

Remember back when BoP used to be a headline number that would lead the news?
    The country has the same problems it had decades ago. The difference now is we don't even bother to talk about them.
  • Options
    We wont build houses anywhere near a Tory voter says Sunak.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,605
    edited August 2022
    MattW said:

Handled well.

As if an XR protestor is going to miss £25

Its the plaything of the bored rich anyway. That's less than they'd spend on a Cheeky Nando's.

EDIT: PS Congrats Sandpit. :)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,060
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Handled well.

That said, half a dozen of them paid £300 each to go to the Grand Prix at Silverstone, only to find themselves in the back of a paddy wagon five minutes after the race started.
    They will have fundraised for it with contributions from people not so keen to be arrested.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299

It's good that she's said it though.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Handled well.

Longer race than Zhou Guanyu then.
  • Options

Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

As hustings are due to start

1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%
    To pinch Liz Truss's joke, that's two hours of my life I won't get back. No eruptions on Betfair either.

1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.4 Rishi Sunak 11%
  • Options
    Only just back in after beachside dinner and drinks with Mrs RP. Can't wait to see what @Leon and @Orka 's babies look like.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    boulay said:

Liz Cheney
    @Liz_Cheney

Jefferson Davis maybe?
    Dick Cheney possibly?
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

JonWC said:

Also disturbed by the continuity Boris thing. All seems a bit Trumpy and awful.

Cruddas is a fighter. The allegation of offering "cash for access" was upheld in court, but nonetheless he won libel damages. Continuity Johnson may have legs. Johnson could squelch it now if he wanted.

Johnson may have the status of "dead but he won't lay down". Perhaps he'll be weakened further. I have put a few more pounds on Raab as next PM at 720.

The Carlton played a role in 2022 in a distorted echo of 1922. Maybe there will be a story about a groper (or worse) at the Athenaeum or White's, or a bondage party in Knightsbridge, and we'll get further into uncharted territory. Sunak seems to be fighting hard and he's got resources. I wouldn't rule him out.

But none of this is Trumpy. Johnson has been called e.g. "narcissist". He's not. He's an extravert who likes the sound of his own voice, sails close to the wind, and sometimes wings it. He's not a nutter. He's not brilliant, but he's educated. He wouldn't in a million years say switch off the metal detectors, let them through with their guns and knives because none of them want to shoot Meee, as Trump did on 6 January.
    This is an interesting turn of phrase. It has been reported that he used to do after-dinner speaking, turning up late and dishevelled not knowing what even he was speaking at. Every time. That is the appearance of winging it but done as a well constructed act.

So we know that he is very comfortable and happy winging it. Usually with a bit of practice. What has done him over as PM is that instead of getting a drunk audience laughing his funny routine has been met with silence.

Aah.

And then he *really* is winging it...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,036
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

Handled well.

My guess is that they genuinely joined the Cinservative Party in order to have their moment in the sun.
    I wonder who gets their votes?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,474
    The UK deserves some credit for having politicians who are willing to discuss the need for more affordable housing. That simply isn't an issue in most of the US, even in places where the problem is the worst. And the ways for NIMBYs to block new housing are numerous.

Here's some data: "Over that span, ever-tightening zoning regulations have choked off housing options for countless middle-class families. Townhouses, duplexes and small apartment buildings are widely banned — including on 75 percent of residential land in Los Angeles and 94 percent in San Jose.

State lawmakers periodically try to attack the problem at its root, but ambitious bills that would address the supply problem have repeatedly died in Sacramento at the hands of politicians fearing retribution from not-in-my-backyard voters. Hence the politically safer but financially dubious move to subsidize down payments for first-time home buyers."
    source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/07/28/california-home-buying-assistance-counterproductive/

(Years ago, I read of a California firm that would help NIMBYs by . . . . finding a new species in the area where the NIMBYs wanted to block new construction. There are, for example, so many beatles that apparently it is not too difficult, or wasn't, for an entomologist to find a new one.

I have no idea how successful the firm was. And I have to admit that I admired the firm a little, in somewhat the same way one might admire a burglar's skill.)
  • Options
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Handled well.

The joy of F1 at the moment is the McLaren saga. Bad enough that they have more contracted drivers than seats in Indycar, now they are playing silly buggers in F1 too. And making a seat in Formula E the booby prize...
  • Options
    A few holiday thoughts. El Campello is rammed full of people. We've been coming here for 20 years (as Spanish FIL lives up the mountain) and I've never seen it this busy. OK so this is the first week of Spanish school holidays and the hordes have come to the Costa from inland. But even so. Its *buzzing*.

A question. We have a problem in the UK with people who cant handle a drink and people who are getting increasingly angry and abusive to front line employees of pretty much anything. Would we be more placid and chilled like the wonderful Spanish if we enforced a siesta?

OK so there is little point insisting on an afternoon snooze in Scotland in February, but doing things to chill people the fuck out would help. And yet Mistress Truss thinks people are feckless and lazy and need to work harder.

No wonder half of my friends are on the happy pills...
  • Options

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Handled well.

The joy of F1 at the moment is the McLaren saga. Bad enough that they have more contracted drivers than seats in Indycar, now they are playing silly buggers in F1 too. And making a seat in Formula E the booby prize...
    Hope that Zak Brown has some good contract lawyers on retention. He seems to have signed at least two drivers that were contracted elsewhere for next season.

I reckon the way around it, is that Alex Palou does next year in F1, and Oscar Piastri does next year in Indycar.
  • Options

It's good that she's said it though.
    Its the UK. Her party would be very happy form someone to develop a Google or Apple. Which would then be flogged to foreign investors for a one-off cut to a Tory-donor middleman.

Thats all they do.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,160
    edited August 2022
    Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Handled well.

Hope that Zak Brown has some good contract lawyers on retention. He seems to have signed at least two drivers that were contracted elsewhere for next season.

I reckon the way around it, is that Alex Palou does next year in F1, and Oscar Piastri does next year in Indycar.
    There is still time to sign the people's driver Jimmie Johnson. Come on mams, cheer on the Jimmie!!!!!
  • Options
    Does Liz have any ideas yet
  • Options
    Truss wants a "strong economics unit in No10" and said the Bank of England's mandate may be up for review:

"One of the issues I want to look at is the control of the money supply and particularly the quantitative easing policy and the impact that’s had"

Utter lunacy
  • Options
    Truss on whether she'll offer more help with spiralling fuel bills this winter:

"Of course I will look at what more can be done. But the way I would do things is in a Conservative way of lowering the tax burden, not giving out handouts

Muppet
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,002

Truss wants a "strong economics unit in No10" and said the Bank of England's mandate may be up for review:

"One of the issues I want to look at is the control of the money supply and particularly the quantitative easing policy and the impact that’s had"

Utter lunacy

Which part of that do you think is lunacy?

• Options

Utter lunacy

Yes, “printing” £900bn, 45% of GDP, is utter lunacy.

The only thing more lunatic, is the games with the “income” on the “bonds” represented by this “money”.

The whole thing needs to be unwound over time, and it’s going to be horrible.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Handled well.

There is still time to sign the people's driver Jimmie Johnson. Come on mams, cheer on the Jimmie!!!!!
    Not quite sure he qualifies for a Super Licence just yet!
  • Options
    From the world that is the Internet:

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,901
    edited August 2022
    Sandpit said:

Utter lunacy

Yes, “printing” £900bn, 45% of GDP, is utter lunacy.

The only thing more lunatic, is the games with the “income” on the “bonds” represented by this “money”.

The whole thing needs to be unwound over time, and it’s going to be horrible.
    Just wait till they start printing to fund nationalising the collapsing energy industry
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    boulay said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

It definitely is. Leon was roaming the streets of Agra looking for street children to bestow money on to allow them to go to school.

Late on evening he heard crying from a dark corner and found a naked woman cowering and trying to protect her modesty.

He edged closer without gazing at her directly to spare her blushes and discovered she was a British policewoman who had cruelly been de-bagged by her nasty male police colleagues from the Met whilst on a police exchange with the Indian police.

Without a second thought Leon wrapped the silk rajasthani throw he had bought for his London pied a terre around her and gouged his eyes out to ensure her naked shame would not be a barrier to him selflessly helping her.

He then selflessly took her back to his suite at the Oberoi and handed her his bank cards and travellers checques and said that she must stay there alone, recover and he would find her again one day.

As blind Leon left he fumbled for his phone in order to tell his publisher that they wouldn’t any longer find him at his hotel but would find him on the streets, bemoaning how the modern world has corrupted the relationship between man and woman and accidentally took that picture.

Luckily in his wanderings he found an eye surgeon who he was at UCL with who restored his sight.

And reader, he married her, and they live together in Newent with their labradors and eight children.
    Why did you have to spoil such a realistic and well-paced narrative with a totally implausible last sentence?
  • Options

Utter lunacy

Actually no. If she is intent on confronting the utter lunacy of quantitative easing then she goes up (very fractionally) in my estimation. She won't of course.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

From the world that is the Internet:

Did they misunderstand the ladies of London who said he comes very fast?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,002
    Oksana Pokalchuk, the head of Amnesty International Ukraine to resign over disagreements with @amnesty’s leadership. “If you don’t live in a country, that’s being torn apart, you’ll never understand what it means, to blame the army of its defenders”.

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1555628616741969923
  • Options
    We had our own Apple, it was called ARM and the Tories let it be sold off
  • Options

Did somebody Mac a fool of themselves?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,901
    edited August 2022
    Lovely video of the man with all the integrity telling strikers he'd stand with them in 2020 during his campaign and how he was a proud trade unionist.
    Obviously that was before he set off on the road to Damascus and became a committed rule breaking anti strike brexiteer boi
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543

"Of course I will look at what more can be done. But the way I would do things is in a Conservative way of lowering the tax burden, not giving out handouts

Muppet

Indeed, so no help for the poorest then.
  • Options

Muppet

Indeed, so no help for the poorest then.
    I think that edit's probably more realistic.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Interesting stat from Adam Tooze’s “Ones and Tooze” podcast;

Only 13% of Americans leave the country every year.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Did somebody Mac a fool of themselves?
    It was a bad job. The worst of bad Jobs.
  • Options
    We were the world leader in R&D on fibre including one of the world's first deployments. The Tories stopped that and sold the expertise to Japan and South Korea.

They have fucked us over too many times
  • Options

Apple these days is an idea and a dream and a cloud software entity. What we should ve started doing a decade ago was establishing a semiconductor business so we wouldn't now be whining like bitches about Ooooh they are all made in Taiwan and what are we to do if Winnie the Pooh kicks off
  • Options

A few holiday thoughts. El Campello is rammed full of people. We've been coming here for 20 years (as Spanish FIL lives up the mountain) and I've never seen it this busy. OK so this is the first week of Spanish school holidays and the hordes have come to the Costa from inland. But even so. Its *buzzing*.

A question. We have a problem in the UK with people who cant handle a drink and people who are getting increasingly angry and abusive to front line employees of pretty much anything. Would we be more placid and chilled like the wonderful Spanish if we enforced a siesta?

OK so there is little point insisting on an afternoon snooze in Scotland in February, but doing things to chill people the fuck out would help. And yet Mistress Truss thinks people are feckless and lazy and need to work harder.

No wonder half of my friends are on the happy pills...

My understanding is that Spaniards work more hours than the British rather than less.
  • Options
    Breaking news:

The first of my tomatoes was ripe, and it was delicious.

I am now in favour of forty degree heat and drought conditions (so long as I’m not in a hosepipe ban).
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2022

Utter lunacy

No. “Utter lunacy” was running the money printer pretty much 24/7 since the GFC. And to do so without meaningful democratic oversight was crazy.

There was a reasonable argument for moderate QE in the immediate aftermath of ‘08, but it should have ended within a few years and been fully reversed by now.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Oksana Pokalchuk, the head of Amnesty International Ukraine to resign over disagreements with @amnesty’s leadership. “If you don’t live in a country, that’s being torn apart, you’ll never understand what it means, to blame the army of its defenders”.

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1555628616741969923

Good on her, we should offer her asylum in the UK, if she wants it.
  • Options

We were the world leader in R&D on fibre including one of the world's first deployments. The Tories stopped that and sold the expertise to Japan and South Korea.

They have fucked us over too many times

Private company, love, and the means of production sadly do not belong to the workers. So wtf are you on about?
This discussion has been closed.